Top News
WE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT MICHAEL-AN AWARD WINNING ACTOR

Congratulations to the cast and crew of "12 Years a Slave" winning an Oscar for Best Picture

Michael is currently filming "MacBeth"

Watch "12 Years A Slave" and "Frank" in theaters

Watch "The Counselor" and "12 Years A Slave" on DVD available now

Michael is set to star and produce on a film version of the video game "Assassin's Creed"

Completed projects: X-Men, Untitled Malik project

Upcoming projects Assassin's Creed, Prometheus 2, MacBeth,and more!

Header credit here

MFmultiply's Disclaimer

Order region 1 dvds-Amazon store

Order region 2-UK dvds-Amazon Shoppe

Please check the calender for films on TV, Theater, or dvd releases
February 2019
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

X-Men Reviews 5

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Re: X-Men Reviews 5

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:28 am

http://grantmemoviereviews.blogspot.com/2011/06/x-men-first-class-digital.html

Sunday, June 19, 2011
X-Men: First Class Digital

Watched With: My Snooqums @ The Grand Cathay (12/06)
Snacks: Hotdog Combo
Genre: Superhero / Action

I'm confused. But it's okay.

Charles Xavier (James McAvoy) and Erik Lehnsherr (Michael Fassbender) are two different individuals with very similar paths.
As powerful mutants, it is their destiny t shape the future of mankind.

Leading a team of young mutants learning to control their powers is no easy task.
It is up to Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence), Angel (Zoë Kravitz), Beast (Nicholas Hoult), Banshee (Caleb Landry Jones), Darwin (Edi Gathegi) and Havok (Lucas Till) to find it within themselves to face their enemies. And themselves.

Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon) with right-hand woman Emma Frost (January Jones) and henchmen Riptide (Álex González) and Azazel (Jason Flemyng) are bent on starting World War III and ensuring the rise of mutant-kind.
And it is up to the X-Men to stop them.

Well I tell you what.
I guess this movie was actually pretty good. On its own.

I had a lot of people say to me "Wow now I know the story behind the X-Men" and I guess that movie does show that but if were a comicbook fan then perhaps you may spots the obvious differences. (Moira MacTaggert is a CIA agent? Really??)
But I won't go into that. I think not many people know that I'm a huge X-Men fan from my comicbook collecting days.

And I also won't go into the digs at the previous movies (like cameos by Hugh Jackman and Rebecca Romijn)

What I will say is that Michael Fassbender made a very convincing show as Magneto.

And I know people like Mr-Jab and Mr-Dopamine-Dreamer will be able to appreciate the cameos put in by old timers like Rade Serbedzija, Ray Wise and Michael Ironside.

So this was pretty good movie overall.
A different direction from the first few movies but good nonetheless.

Final Verdict: Worth $8.00 out of a $10 ticket

posted by adam shah @ 01:49
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:29 am

http://ciberlatura.com/x-men-first-class/

X-MEN: FIRST CLASS

Posted by Curt Purcell on Jun 18, 2011 | Comments Off
Not a review, just a few bullet-points.

Michael Fassbender's Magneto was simply awesome. It was great to see how totally badass Magneto could be even before his powers developed to the nearly godlike levels of the comics. His Nazi-hunting rampage was thrilling, his character arc compelling, and he looked amazing in the role.

Banshee's big scene, from his dive out of the Blackbird to his aerial duel with Angel to his crash on the beach, was some of the best superhero action I've seen in a movie. Pure exhilaration.

I have no idea why they called that woman Moira MacTaggert. For all the resemblance she bore to the comic book character, they might as well have called her Empress Lilandra.

Wow, they really made Xavier quite the smarmy, over-privileged douchebag, didn't they?

Weird that Mystique would have all those bumps all over her body--but no nipples. The reason, of course, is because Americans are so f#%@#&! moronic about breasts.

I was aghast at the handling of the Darwin character. My God, it's like they googled all the gripes about how minority characters are treated in movies like this, and then instead of avoiding them, proceeded to use that as their playbook.

On balance, the good parts make it worth the price of admission, but what a mixed bag.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:32 am

http://vampjezzc.wordpress.com/2011/06/18/x-men-first-class-review/

Lost in My Own Mind…
X-Men: First Class Review

June 18, 2011 at 11:23 AM (My Views on Entertainment Today (Reviews, Rants etc. ), Movies) (postaday2011, Review, Movie, Movie Review, X-Men First Class, X-Men, Comic Book Movies)

Rate This

Review: X-Men-First Class (2011)

I have said before that I have two films by which I compare all other comic book movies: Iron Man and The Dark Knight. Iron Man is the best example of a comic book movie that blends whit, humor and action into a well written and well made film. The Dark Knight is the best example of a comic book movie that is dark, suspenseful and serious and is actually taken seriously in the film community. X-Men First Class is the perfect middle road between these two films, it joins the dark and serious aspects with whit and charm making it a fantastic comic book movie.

When I first heard that they were making yet another X-Men movie I was torn. I really enjoyed the first two, I can watch them over and over and but the third one I can’t even watch it is so bad. Then I heard that the amazingly handsome James McAvoy was play Xavier and I was on board. Then the first poster came out, and once again I was torn, dammit! Those first promo shots looked so bad, proving yet again that bad PR can ruin the reputation of a film before it is even released. But then the first trailer came out and I was super stoked, it looked like it would at least be fun to see. I am glad that I didn’t let those earlier prejudgment get in the way because this was not just a great comic book movie but a fantastic film in general. It blends history and fantasy seamlessly, making even the unbelievable feel real. You know it is a good comic book movie when you notice how great the acting is and not just how awesome the special effects are, which they were.

James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender were superb, their chemistry, intensity and dash of cheekiness are the key to why the film can be taken seriously. I felt for Xavier and Erik, I understood them as real people and didn’t just think their powers were cool. In the first film, with Stewart and McKellen, it was the costumes and the powers that overshadowed any performance given by those two titans of acting. They weren’t allowed to show what great thespians they were because of all the special effects that surrounded them, which is a travesty. McAvoy and Fassbender were allowed to really act, not in the silly comic booky way ala “Thor,” but in the “Dark Knight” Bale and Ledger way. They used their powers in a far more realistic fashion, although McAvoy’s hand to the temple thing got a bit annoying after a while, which gave the film some real weight. What also really works about the way these two played off of each other was how well it fit into the film canon, they gave little nods to how they interact in the first X-Men film, again adding to the film’s validity.

The side characters gave the comic fans what they wanted, the powers and personalities of several loved mutants. I especially liked Raven/Mystique, Sean/Banshee and Alex/Havok but was somewhat disappointed by the way they used Armando/Darwin (I won’t say much more about him other than how they treated him did not give any respect to the character or the actor). I also LOVED the little cameo by another beloved mutant who said exactly what you would expect him to say when approached by Xavier and Erik.

Obviously the special effects were great, but what made them stand out for me was how little they stood out, if that makes any sense. As I said, in the first film the effects were the lead and the actors came in second, but in this new movie the effects were not center stage. When the mutants used their powers it was believable, they didn’t seem fake, even Havok’s powers felt real. The use of effects was done so well that they didn’t clog the screen, even in the big action scenes the effects were not over crowding the acting, which is what usually happens in comic films.

I am not saying the film doesn’t have its problems, all films do, but none of that matters.There is little else I can note about the film without seeing it again, which I most definitely will but what I can say is that tis was a fun ride and was backed by great emotion, which again is the key to a fantastic comic book film.

My rating: 9/10
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:32 am

http://gus-no-fear.blogspot.com/2011/06/x-men-first-class.html

Saturday, June 18, 2011
X Men first Class
I'm not a huge fan of comic books films, but I have faith on X-Men, the reason is that it shows superheroes with a lot of complexity in their life's, being humans, and develop skills and powers that are sort of a curse that haunt them for life, and make them so vulnerable is what really attracts me.

One X Men first class you see new characters and young ones that suffer more than just turn into adults. The origin of this saga is pretty good film, very entertaining and fun. Fill with great special effects and a well done art direction that the producers of the film admit that helps to give this movie an added value, besides the limited budget.

The film takes places between world war II and the missile crisis USA vs Cuba. This hypothetical plot is the perfect excuse to bring the heroes to save the day.

James McCavoy and Michael Fassbender gives great performance, specially Fassbender that have very difficult shoes to fill (Ian Mackellen as Magneto) like Lost producer Damon Lindelof did mentioned about January Jones is really bad in this film, unfortunately Emma Frost old be played by anyone else and you never see the difference. Kevin Back steal the show as a villain.

A few general comments: why the black mutant die first in this movie, what kind of racism is that?, I know that make the character a martyr but why?. Nicolas Hoult is a miscast he will be perfect as young Cyclops vs been young beast? and lats but not least, Jennifer Lawrence is so gorgeous I can't stop watching her in this movie, lovely.

Great cameos by Hugh Jackman and Rebecca Romijm

Posted by Gustavo Bernal at 9:18 AM
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:33 am

http://users.livejournal.com/red_moon_/47373.html

Previous | Next
X-Men: First Class

Jun. 18th, 2011 at 9:54 PM

I had the feeling everyone else except for me had already watched "X-Men: First Class" but [info]stabbim and [info]mordio were so nice to join me yesterday evening.

My expectations for "X-Men: First Class" were not so high (I didn't trust the hype, I guess I still expected 90210 Mutant High) but I really like it - far more than "X-Men 3". I totally adored the whole sixties-James Bond-villain-style.

And I might be developing a little crush on Michael Fassbender who was fantastic as Magneto - James McAvoy was good, too, no question but Michael's sad eyes, wow. I think I'll try to get a look at that british, supernatural television show he did a few years ago, "Hex". Might be worth a try.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:34 am

http://www.buckeyeboogeyman.com/2011/06/x-men-first-class-2011.html

X-Men: First Class (2011)
X-Men: First Class (2011)
Director: Matthew Vaughn
Writers: Ashley Miller, Zack Stentz, Matthew Vaughn (screenplay)
Sheldon Turner and Bryan Singer (story)
Stars: James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, January Jones,
Jennifer Lawrence, Kevin Bacon

More like X-Men: Coach, rather than First Class....Lots of Twisting Continuity....

Summary:
This is it. Finally, the origin of Xavier and the X-Men. Finally, we get to see the original comic book team that brought us the mutant age of comics....Err...not so much. In 1962, Charles Xavier starts up a school and later a team, for humans with superhuman abilities. Among them is Erik Lensherr, his best friend... and future archenemy.

Charles Xavier is a young man fresh out of Oxford, who is suddenly recruited, along with his adopted sister Raven (aka Mystique), by CIA agent Moira MacTaggert to look into espionage by the Hellfire Club and its two principals, Sebastian Shaw and Emma Frost (played in all her girdled and gogo boot glory by January Jones). This Shaw also has a tie to the vengeful former concentration camp prisoner Erik Lensherr, whose own mission of vengeance will lead him to a philosophical path similar to his Nazi tormentors. Along the way, we get to meet several classic and new characters, including the young Beast, Havok, and the Angel (not who you think). The war for the hearts and minds of mutants and humans alike begins right in the middle of the Cuban Missile Crisis. Will Xavier be able to show the world the benefits of homo superior? Or, will a new age of the Atom be brought to bear where Mutants are the sole survivors of a nuclear Armageddon?

Thoughts:
The Good: FINALLY, a scary and believable Magneto! Nothing against Gandalf (Ian McKlellan) from the first 3 movies, but seriously, dude was not scary nor believable as Fassbender. Fassbender's portrayal evokes sympathy, angst, and eventual disgust as the evolving Magneto. And, they finally get the look and helmet right! There is also an excellent cameo by a certain cigar chewing, bone clawed Canadian that is by far one of the best scenes in the film. For those of you into eye candy, there is lots of that as Emma Frost is half naked throughout most of the film, and Raven/Mystique is also frequently showing more than her powers. Also, we get a glimpse (if you pay attention) into the origin of a certain blue furry bampf! teleporting German mutant with a prehensile tail. There are other familiar things, like the design and birth of Cerebro, as well as the original Blackbird.

The action is a nice story, with lots of intrigue and espionage. The effects are as always outstanding. You really do see the friendship and brotherhood of Xavier and Magneto blossom and evolve as the film develops. You also get a glimpse at Xavier before he became so dry and sobering. It is nice to know that at one time, he too, was young and kind of a cocky jerk. Kevin Bacon does a passable job as classic Xmen character Sebastian Shaw, aka the Black King. January Jones look is classic Emma Frost, aka the White Queen, and she brings the right attitude to the role.

The Bad:
OK, where to begin? Talk about reboots! This film turns its own franchise's continuity on its head, not just the comic continuity. To wit, OK, we were always told and shown that Cyclops and Jean Grey were Xavier and Magneto's first students. Not so. Neither is anywhere to be seen, though we are given a glimpse of a young African female mutant with white hair in one quick scene. There is no Iceman or the original Angel. What they do to this character, well, let's just say it is a classic Starbuck, if you know Battlestar Galactica and its reboot. Except without the excellent acting by Katie Sackoff. Cyclops was a key factor in 3 of the four previous movies, but these writers appear to be thumbing their nose at X1-3 and the Wolverine movie. We don't get Cyclops, but we do get his brother? And Mystique knew Xavier as a child? What?

And then there is Emma Frost. We were introduced to her in the Wolverine film as a teenager in circa 1970s at Three Mile Island as she and Cyclops and the young mutants made their escape from Stryker's HQ (and then there is the new Stryker...seriously, 3rd different actor in less than a decade???). Well, somehow Emma Frost is an adult in 1962 and has fully....uh...developed.

Then there is Xavier. In the Wolverine film, he is seen in the 1970s as bald and able to walk. In First Class, in 1962, by the end of the film we see Professor X in his familiar wheelchair. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?????

Conclusion:
As a stand alone film, this is movie is quite good, even excellent. However, if you are trying to tie it into X-Men 1-3, you are seriously wasting your time. Even worse than Star Trek, James Bond, and Star Wars, this franchise tells continuity to take a flying leap. It is rather indicative of the state of the super hero/comic book world today. It seems like every five minutes there is a reboot or a retrocon of characters. This leads only to confusion. Many of the children and even some of the adults leaving the movie were overheard asking questions about why did this happen in one of the previous movies but now they are telling us something else. I can understand rebooting a franchise if you hadn't had a new movie in a decade or so, but seriously, rebooting in less than 5 years? I know Xmen 3 was a horrible film (except for Hugh Jackman and Kelsey Grammer's Beast) but geez! If you even try to make these movies go together in any way, you fail. The time lines are all askew and you have characters who existed who didn't, or who are now younger or older than they should be. I expected better, knowing that Bryan Singer (who did the first two Xmovies) was back in the fold. However, it appeared to me that he wanted to thumb his nose at X3 and Wolverine because he wasn't involved with them. As a fan of both the comics and 3 of the four previous movies, it was kind of a letdown. However, it is a good yarn, even if I am sick and tired of the whole secret history of American History plot line. If you are not an Xfan or don't care about continuity and haven't seen the movies, I highly recommend it. However, if you are an Xfan and appreciate order and things making sense, leave those ideas at the door.

A good overall film, but its place in the franchise is unclear, and muddies the waters of the Xmen.

New Hope Patriot Missile Rating:

3 Shields out of 5

Posted by Buckeye Boogeyman at 6/18/2011
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:35 am

http://qinrawks.blogspot.com/2011/06/super-late-post-of-week.html

Okay so let me talk about X-Men: First Class. IT WAS SO GLORIOUS. I think it was the best of the X-Men films so far? I loved that there wasn't much action and that the producers chose instead to focus more on characters. To me, character focus is the one great aspect of film/TV that wins over all other aspects. And the fact that there was so much backstory in the film, just made me love it even more.

Because I'm not a big comics fan, I had this nagging question all along about why doesn't Professor X just control the minds of all of Magneto's accomplices? I mean, what is a villain without anyone to control right? So yeah, this film answered that question. It's because both of them respect each others' choices and viewpoints, even though they do not totally agree with the methods employed by the opposite parties. But they have the same goal in mind, a better life for all mutants. And that adds a sort of wonderful depth to the universe of X-Men I think, rather than arbitrarily having a good guy and a bad guy and have them battle it out.

Additional points: I thought Emma Frost was a terrible Emma Frost. LOL. Okay from what I can see, I think she was supposed to have a professional, icy, unyielding, chilling feel... Kinda like Dakota Fanning in the 2nd Twilight film, weird example but that is all I can think of now. Short appearance but big presence? You know, the type that's suppose to suck any live out of the atmosphere and make the focus entirely on her?

Maybe my interpretation is wrong. Maybe it's because I do not like Emma Frost's portrayer (January Jones) because I watch Mad Men... But I just didn't like her. Ah well.

You know who I do like though? MICHAEL FASSBENDER! I would gladly watch a movie just based on him, chronicling his journey from the little boy at the Nazi camp to Magneto... A more detailed movie that is. Anyway I don't know why, but while watching it he kept on reminding me of Don Draper (again, from Mad Men). I suppose part of the reasons lies in the fact that they are set in the same era (1962 circa the Cuban missile crisis).. And therefore dress the same. And have the same hairstyle. (Especially during the Nazi killer portion of the film).

Seriously. Fedora, check. Tight fitting polo tshirt, check. Tucked in shirt into khaki pants, check. Tortured past, check.

DON'T THEY LOOK ALIKE?!?!?

Posted by weiqin at 6/19/2011 12:01:00 AM
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:39 am

http://ratpatootie.wordpress.com/2011/06/18/round-up-0106-1806/

Round-Up 01/06-18/06
June 18, 2011
by leannshka

The 500 Five-Star project has kept me pretty busy for the past couple of weeks, meaning other cinema/DVD viewings have been neglected. I’ve therefore bundled them together for this round-up, so as to make it look a little less pointless! Wink

Cinema:

Comic book origin stories are difficult. There have been plenty of entertaining ones (Spiderman, Singer’s X-Men, Iron Man), perhaps even one classic (Batman Begins), but the amount of exposition and character introductions required generally means the makers are unable to let loose and have fun, and villains are often included just to satisfy the studio’s need for a superhero conflict. Matthew Vaughan is therefore lucky; in X-Men: First Class, the origin story IS the conflict. All the aforementioned problems still have to be attacked, but for once it’s all building to a genuinely gripping finale. Part of the credit for that must go to the cast. Gathering actors together of the class of James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Kevin Bacon and Jennifer Lawrence was a masterstroke of Vaughan’s as they ground the supernatural story in reality. The screenplay is also full of fun moments, and the action is excellent. It’s not a perfect film, however. The second act lags a little, and some of the mutants are either neglected or simply not interesting. X-Men: First Class is still a very successful reboot of the franchise though, and sets things up nicely for what will hopefully be an explosive sequel.

4/5
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:39 am

http://storefronttheatre.wordpress.com/2011/06/18/x-men-first-class-2011/

X-Men: First Class – (2011)
By pallen1138

Written by: Ashley Miller, Zack Stentz, Jane Goldman, Matthew Vaughn

Directed by: Matthew Vaughn

Starring: James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Kevin Bacon, Rose Byrne, January Jones

To be honest, I’m hardly the right person to be writing about an X-Men movie. Sure, I’m a comic fan, but for the most part my allegiances are with DC Comics. This isn’t really intentional, I’ve just read less Marvel; I tend to find that the power of their great characters get diluted by the presence of so many on one page. I watched the cartoon as a kid, and I’ve seen X-Men (2000) and X2 (2003) and loved those films, but watching X-Men: First Class, I got the distinct feeling my limited experience with the mutants was leaving me in the dark.

That’s not to say I didn’t like First Class, in fact it exceeded my expectations and then some. X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009) was such an abysmal mess, I was worried all of the origin story prequels to the X-Men movies would be as shoddy. That couldn’t be further from the truth, as First Class is a clever, stylish and entertaining superhero picture. More than just telling the story of how the X-Men began, First Class tells of how Charles Xavier (James McAvoy) and Erik Lehnsherr (Michael Fassbender) meet and evolve into some of the most complex enemies in all of comics.

It’s the 1960s and Charles Xavier, telepath and PhD student extraordinaire, is studying the sort of genetic mutations that have lead to his telepathic powers and to the shape-shifting abilities of his best friend Raven (Jennifer Lawrence). Erik Lehnsherr is hunting the man who killed his mother in a Nazi concentration camp. That same man, Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon) is being tracked by CIA agent Moira McTaggert (Rose Byrne) who, upon discovering the existence of mutants, seeks Xavier’s help. This leads Xavier to Lehnsherr, and also to the beginning of Xavier’s Academy for Gifted Youngsters.

First Class director Matthew Vaughn proves himself to be very apt at juggling the many characters required for telling a compelling X-Men story, without ever getting bogged down in exposition and clunky back story. Another one of Vaughn’s triumphs is his immense style; First Class is styled in the fashion of many iconic films of the 1960s, but Vaughn never goes so far as to make his film over-stylish. Shaw travels regularly in a submarine, and the interior of the sub is styled with strong hints of 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), during a discussion of nuclear weapons in Turkey, the U.S. Government’s War Room looks so much like the famous War Room in Dr. Strangelove (1964) that I wonder if it might actually be the same set? The sections dealing with Xavier’s Academy and the CIA headquarters seem to lift bits and pieces from the James Bond films of the 1960s. These references likely don’t have much depth, but they lend much to a very exciting visual experience.

Generally speaking, I dislike CGI effects, and I subscribe to the believe that filmmakers should never do with computers what they could do with props and a little ingenuity. First Class is CGI loaded, but its done so tastefully and seamlessly that it does not tarnish the experience. Fighting sequences are so impeccably timed and an choreographed, that the required computer effects enhance the experience rather than distract. The major battle sequences are stunning, and the stunt involving a submarine is one of the best looking I have seen in a major Hollywood blockbuster.

What I loved most about First Class was some of the performances. Namely, I loved performances by James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender and the relationship they construct between their characters. Fassbender nails the complex morality of Magneto, displaying a sharp sense of logic as well as a deep-rooted pain that drives him. McAvoy does a great job at portraying a Professor X who is more real than the 2-dimensional man many of us think of. Xavier is a real person, and he has faults, but ultimately he’s endlessly compassionate and rigid in his moral standard. The two men have a deep respect for each other, and the way the film establishes their differences is very organic and heart-wrenching. Also worth noting are performances by Jennifer Lawrence, who was great in Winter’s Bone (2010) and will have a long and fascinating career, and Kevin Bacon who was surprisingly perfect for the role of Sebastian Shaw. One of the most glaring issues with this film was a performance by January Jones, who played Emma Frost like she based her performance on the dictionary definition of “frost.”

X-Men: First Class is so energetic and smart, it excited me to think of what may come next in the X-Men franchise. This film proves that a really subtle story can be told with such a colourful and often cartoonish cast of characters. Vaughn and his screenwriters never adhere to a black-and-white view of good and evil, and they cloud the issue by putting Magneto and Xavier on different sides of the same moral coin (as they should be) and putting them both in opposition with the absolute evil of humans with an anti-mutant opinion. First Class is stylish and fun, and shines with the sort of intelligence that comic book films deserve.
This entry was posted on Saturday, June 18th, 2011 at 12:13 pm
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:42 am

http://jdogmovies.blogspot.com/2011/06/x-men-first-class.html

Saturday, 18 June 2011
In 1962, as the world is gripped by the Cold War, Erik Lensherr is hunting down the man who killed his mother and manipulated his magnetic powers. Meanwhile, Charles Xavier, a professor in genetic and mutation, as well as being a telepath himself, is hired by the CIA to help find and stop the very same man: Sebastian Shaw aka Dr. Schmidt. As Charles begins looking for fellow mutants to teach them how to control their abilities and to help stop Shaw, Xavier and Lensherr cross paths and join together as they fight to stop Shaw from initiating the Cuban Missile Crisis, plunging the world into nuclear war...

Since superhero films are a dime a dozen these days, the next logical step towards is the superhero reboot. Batman is actually coming near the end of its reboot cycle, Spider-Man gets the reboot treatment next year along with Superman, and now the film series which launched the new wave of genre films gets rebooted with X-Men: First Class, adapted from the comic series of the same name, detailing the origins of the X-Men and the Brotherhood of Mutants. In recent weeks, this film has been praised and is among the most well-reviewed films of 2011 so far. So what did this young, semi-comic book geek make of it? Well, the original trilogy set the bar high immediately for any superhero films that might proceed, and while this is a really original take on the genre and the material, I was less impressed than everyone else seems to be.

All in all, the film just seems a bit rushed and, after a small bit of research, it turns out it was. The aim for this film was to steer clear of X-Men Origins: Wolverine, which this film undeniably shares a lineage with, and to attempt to recapture the tone of Bryan Singer's X-Men and X2. It does this, but it just falls a bit flat, and for the life of me I'm not entirely sure why. There's lots of action, it's a lot smarter and braver than the last couple of X-Men films and has a very Mad Men-esque feel, something furthered by the casting of January Jones as Emma Frost, but it feels like a film which has been pieced together from various sources which, after some more research, turns out it was. Again. This script was an amalgamation of the comic book series and a planned X-Men Origins: Magneto film which is clear due to the amount of screen time Magneto gets above anyone else here. The film seems at pains to homage James Bond and Mad Men and X-Men and even Star Trek with its new, younger cast and nothing really seems to fit cohesively.

That's not to say the casting isn't top notch... at times. James McAvoy makes a really good Professor X, plays him exactly like a young Patrick Stewart. Michael Fassbender also is a commanding screen presence as a young Magneto, a troubled man out for vengeance. Jennifer Lawrence gets a huge amount of screen time as the young Mystique happily, but she doesn't command the same kind of presence her co-stars do. On the other hand, Kevin Bacon plays the bad guy, Sebastian Shaw, fairly well, but there's a constant niggling doubt as to why exactly this important role was given to Kevin Bacon. Really? Kevin Bacon? The Footloose guy? He's done nothing of real significance in years, so why is he here? Also, as I mentioned earlier, January Jones turns up as Emma Frost and to be perfectly honest, I don't like her as an actress, I think she's wooden, I think she's the worst thing about the exquisite Mad Men and she's one of the worst things about this.

What I didn't like about First Class was the number of smarmy, self-knowing, post-modern in-jokes. First Class makes a number of jokes regarding the original X-Men trilogy, as it is perfectly allowed to do being set before those films events, but it just seems out of place and only served to make me groan to be perfectly honest. There's two jokes about Xavier and his current full head of hair. Two. That's two too many. There's also two cameos, one of which doesn't make a whole lot of sense in regards to the film featuring the X-Men as they were when they were younger, and the other having absolutely no purpose whatsoever other than to fill time and to let the scriptwriter *cough* Jane Goldman *cough* feel smug. What also annoys me is when superheroes cross over into real life events and provide an alternate history. Maybe this is just me being overly critical now, but the X-Men solving the Cuban Missile Crisis? I don't like it, stick to beating up bad guys on your own plane of existence, don't mess with history.

Overall, the film looks very stylish but there's too many early cuts at the ends of scenes, indicative to a rushed shooting schedule with no time for re-shoots, and it just pulls down the quality and enjoyment of the film, for me anyway. The casting's hit or miss, the storyline starts off with good intentions but then spirals into ludicracy before remembering what it set out to do near the end, and half the dialogue seem forced because it can't create its own path, this film's events need to directly lead to whatever happened in the original trilogy or else people will start getting angry. I will say this for it though: It has the best use of the word 'f&#!' I've heard so far this year.

Rating: **1/2
Posted by Jamie at 07:14
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:42 am

http://fishstandsup.com/2011/06/18/movies-i-slept-through-x-men-first-class/

Movies I Slept Through – X-Men: First Class

06/18/2011

“X-Men: First Class” is a $160 million excuse to make James McAvoy one degree away from Kevin Bacon.

At this point, most people are familiar with the X-Men. They’re a bunch of mutants with special powers who run around either trying save the humans from a bunch of other mutants with special powers who are trying to kill the humans. It’s been mentioned in previous films that Professor X, the leader of the pro human mutants, and Magneto, the leader of the anti human mutants, were once good friends. ”X-Men: First Class” is the story of their friendship.

As a young man, pre getting Christopher Reevesed, Charles is bold. He grew up as a child of privilege; using his powers as a telepath to get what he wanted, including women. He’s kind of like the main character in “What Women Want” but instead of wanting to destroy the jews he just wants mutants to be accepted.

Erik Lehnsherr(Michael Fassbender) discovered he had the ability to control metal while under extreme pressure at a concentration camp. The man running the camp, Sebastian Shaw(Kevin Bacon), noticed Erik’s ability and decides to help him harness it. Sebastian, being a Nazi and all, doesn’t use the nicest tactics in getting the young boy to embrace his powers. When Erik is older, he turns his sights on tracking down the people who wronged him in the past. Sebastian Shaw is top of the list and during one of his attempts to defeat Shaw, Erik meets Charles.

The bulk of “X-Men: First Class” takes place during the 1960s. For the most part, they did a really good job of capturing that era. Close attention is paid to details and the plot even ties into some historical events. James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender and Kevin Bacon all fit in, but I felt like the younger mutants just didn’t look like they were from the 1960s. There’s one training scene in particular where one of the kids had the sleeves cut off of his sweat suit, and it just stuck out and bothered me.

James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender give really nice performances. Any time they’re on the screen is fun to watch, which is a good thing because they have to carry the film. Kevin Bacon is good as well he’s much closer to being the “let’s turn invisible and rape people” guy from “Hollow Man” than the “let’s get drunk and dance” guy from “Footloose”.

“X-Men: First Class” is a fun super hero movie that at times feels like a spy movie. All the fights and special effects are pretty exciting and the stakes of the final battle were ratcheted up by having it tie in with actual events. It does falter a bit when it attempts to show the origin of some of the monikers the characters became known as, but over all, you should nap before so you don’t miss any of the cool action scenes.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:45 am

http://mintyfilms.blogspot.com/2011/06/x-men-first-class.html

18/06/2011
Plot

First Class tells the story of how the young Charles Xavier and Erik Lehnsherr met and became friends and then how they became the enemies Professor X and Magneto.

Cast

James McAvoy - Charles Xavier/Professor X
Michael Fassbender - Erik Lehnsherr/Magneto
Kevin Bacon - Sebastian Shaw
Rose Byrne - Moira MacTaggert
Jennifer Lawrence - Raven/Mystique
January Jones - Emma Frost

Review

The X-Men series of films, for me, have always been the weakest in the Marvel world although they are the first of Marvel Studio's film productions. Yet they are still hugely enjoyable with brilliant storylines, excellent action and fantastic characters played by brilliant actors. But I have always thought of them as being a bit 'dated' so when I heard they they were making a new one which is a bit more modern with a new and young cast and a new team behind it I got excited thinking finally an X-Men film to match the likes of Iron Man. I was not disappointed.

First Class takes us back to the 1960's when Erik Lehnsherr was not Magneto and Charles Xavier was not Professor X and tells the story of how they turned from friends to enemies. Marvel decided to give this project to the safe hands of director Matthew Vaughn, who was originally going to direct the third X-Men, and his partner in crime writer Jane Goldman. I could not think of a better team to give it to. As shown in their smash hit film Kick-Ass they have the ability to direct and write funny, witty, intelligent, at some points sad and full of action films. They are a breath of fresh air in the film industry and just what the X-Men series needed to bring it into the modern world. They have done a brilliant job with First Class and although it is nowhere as original, as funny or as intelligent as Kick-Ass it is still a clever, funny and thrilling film.

Just like Kick-Ass the story of First Class flows perfectly throughout the film and allows for humour, moments full of action, tension and poignant scenes. It is the perfect blend of all these elements and the main plot never gets lost in all the action and drama of the film. It is well developed and concentrates on the relationship between Charles and Erik which is what this film should be and is all about. Set against the Cuban Missile Crisis and the popular culture movements of the 1960s, this era and events provide the perfect backdrop to the story. The sub-plots are also well developed and there are not too many to get the audience all confused. Like all good films the story is good enough to hold our attention throughout the whole film and not once did I want to take my eyes away from the screen.

The script from Jane Goldman is brilliant and tells the story well. Like with Kick-Ass there are moments of humour and the funniest line is given to a certain mutant cameo which made the audience I was in burst into fits of laughter (since I went on the opening night this is no surprise as X-Men fans will love this). The humour provides comic relief from all the tension and drama going on. There are also very poignant scenes which give a melancholic feel to the film.

It is a difficult task when doing prequels to decide who to play the younger versions of the main characters. It must have been more difficult for Matthew Vaughn to provide suitable actors to follow in the footsteps of the greats Sir Ian McKellen and Sir Patrick Stewart. But he made the perfect decision by employing the well known Scottish actor James McAvoy and the little known German-Irish actor Michael Fassbender to replace them. There are no better actors to replace these legendary actors and Fassbender and McAvoy pull of excellent performances and prove they are worthy of their chairs (they didn't change the chairs for the new actors so they still had McKellens and Stewart's names on them).

But even if the main actors pull of brilliant performances you still need a good supporting cast. Lucky for First Class the supporting cast are also brilliant with old timers such as Kevin Bacon giving a brilliant and unsettling performance as the villain Sebastian Shaw and rising stars such as the wonderful Jennifer Lawrence from Winter's Bone showing true talent as Mystique. Nicholas Hoult, January Jones and Rose Byrne also provide strong support and show they fully understand their characters.

Furthermore, the film looks spectacular and takes note of popular culture of the 60's as well. The costumes are all very stylishly designed and so are the settings. This wins hands down to be the most stylish film of the year so far. The cinematography is brilliant with excellent use of special effects and scenery. Also the theme track provided by the wonderful Take That is also brilliant as is the soundtrack.

Overall First Class is just what I wanted from Marvel as it is fresh, new and fits right into the modern world. It is the perfect update that the X-Men series needed and although it is not as good as Thor or Iron Man it is no longer a weakness. A thrilling, well acted, stylish and dramatic film it is well worth seeing.

5/5

Posted by Emily Murray at 06:09
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:46 am

http://thefranknotes.blogspot.com/2011/06/xmen-first-class-no-comment.html

Saturday, June 18, 2011
xmen first class

the constant inconsistencies with the comic stopped me from fully enjoying this epic movie.

lol my fav part was the short lived appearance of mr. huge jackman Wolverine telling young Xavier and Erik to back off whilst they try recruiting him. haahhaa. brilliant acting. just youtube wolverine in xmen first class =P

Also brilliant acting from Michael Fassbender. =] i'm impressed.

It was sad that the bit that killed it for me was so early in the movie. This is not how Xavier and mystique should have met. and they definitely should not be siblings Y_Y

Labels: movies, xmen

posted by Ritzy at 10:48 PM
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:47 am

http://the11-11pages.blogspot.com/2011/06/vaughn-gets-a-for-x-men-first-class.html

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Vaughn gets an “A” for X-Men: First Class
by rick olivares

I grew up on the X-Men. I lived and breathed it. I knew the canon more than most of my school subjects. I know and love it so much that I was skeptical of Bryan Singer’s production of the first film.

When it came out, I felt that it raised the bar for further adaptations. That was the first comic book film adaptation that really rocked and paved the way for Hulk, Iron Man (especially Iron Man), and Batman Begins.

The one thing that I realized that much of the origin story and other subplots cannot be adapted for film. There’s a difference in the more compact storytelling in film as opposed to a 24-monthly comic book so I understand it perfectly. You can also get away with drawing costumes and armor in comics but in the movies it just doesn’t work all the time.

X-Men: First Class isn’t a straight adaptation of the limited series by Marvel. For one, the limited series features the original X-Men of Stan Lee and Jack Kirby – Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Angel, the Beast, and Iceman. Matt Vaughn’s film version uses Charles Xavier and Erik Lehnsherr extensively as the main protagonists. But that doesn’t matter.

Marvel for years has retro-mined the old stories for newer ones (read the Uncanny X-Men issue titled Madripoor Nights) and the story of Professor X and Magneto had been a rich ore. There’s the connection to Moira MacTaggert, Proteus, Juggernaut, Cassandra Nova, the Scarlet With and quicksilver, and lots more.

The relationship between the two has been an interesting one – once brothers, once enemies. Even Magneto became an X-Man later on. Incredible.

Vaughn was very faithful in his adaptation of Mark Millar’s and John Romita Jr.’s Kick Ass. There’s none of that with X-Men: First Class. The only thing it has in common with the comic book series is the title. And thus, Vaughn takes it in a bold new direction (sort of like J.J. Abrams’ modern spin on Star Trek) by setting it in the middle of the Cuban Missile Crisis and using characters who would come much later in the X-Men mythos (in the comic series, Xavier loses the use of his legs during the Korean War). The Beast was part of the first generation of X-Men while Banshee was with the second gen that was a part of the now classic X-Men #94 where the old team left leaving Cyclops to break in a new team of mutants. This “prequel” mixes all three generation of mutants (a fourth including Zoe Kravtiz’ Angel) and it’s a wondrous mix for film and fanboys who I am sure will not mind the massive changes.

During the promotions for the movie, I purposely did not read anything. I wanted to be surprised just as X-Men #94 surprised me all those years ago. I knew nothing not even the cast so imagine my elation at seeing quite a cast – Kevin Bacon, Rose Byrne, Matt Craven, Oliver Platt, James McAvoy, and Michael Fassbender. There are even cameo appearances by Michael Ironside

The two leads – McAvoy and Fassbender – played minor roles in Band of Brothers and there’s something about sacrifice they all know about which they brought to X-Men: First Class. And what performances! McAvoy’s Xavier somewhat reminds me of how Brendan Fraser played Monty Kessler in With Honors – cocky, smooth, but damn good.

Fassbender, in my opinion, nearly steals the show. And rightly so, I always thought that Magneto was a more interesting character. After God Loves, Man Kills (if you haven’t read that X-Men Graphic Novel then get on it post-haste), Magneto became a real cool character. Fassbender without any trouble turns Lehnsherr/Magneto into a sympathetic character.

Rose Byrne has the right amount of spunk and beauty to play MacTaggert. Thankfully, she isn’t underused her in the way Halle Berry was as Storm in the first installment of X-Men.

Kevin Bacon, after a career of playing awkward and flawed characters such as quicksilver’s Jack Casey, Tremors’ Val McKee, The Air Up There’s Jimmy Dolan, he’s played some memorable villains beginning with The River Wild all the way to Wild Things to Hollow Man. His Herr Schmidt/Sebastian Shaw character is probably his most frightening to date.

The crux of the X-Men canon has always been about racism and mistrust. X-Men: First Class, manages to expound on what was shown in Bryan Singer’s opening scenes of a Nazi death camp. Schmidt/Shaw prods Lehnsherr and shows his how violence can produce the results one desires. It is reinforced later on when the CIA and the American and Russian navies attack the mutants (in Uncanny X-Men #150 “I, Magneto”, the Master of Magnetism sinks a Russian nuclear submarine after he is attacked. This is, aside from God Loves, Man Kills, where we see Erik’s character begin to change from a one-dimensional villain to a complex and tortured anti-hero). Vaughn understands that and makes good use of those learning’s without ramming it down the throats of the viewers.

Magneto’s and Xavier have divergent roads that eventually meet before going into different directions. And I have to love the symbolism here. Vaughn does a marvelous job in taking X-Men lore and blowing it up into a brave new world. It’s a superb movie that snuck up on all and revived the X-Men film franchise (just as Batman Begins did for the Caped Crusader after George Clooney and Chris O’Donnell did the horrible – cringe cringe – Batman and Robin).

For the comic book geeks, this is the equivalent of the Ultimate treatment of the old Marvel Universe. And just as it was after Singer’s first film, with X-Men: First Class, you’re left with the wonderful feeling that “I want to see more.”

And that means you can expect a sequel.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:48 am

http://befilmbebook.wordpress.com/2011/06/18/the-other-x-men-first-class-review-reading-at-own-risk/

The other X-Men: First Class – Review* Reading at own risk**
Posted on June 18, 2011 by befilmt

Bryan Singer must have balls. Of the five X-Men-related movies he directed the first two, and produced the latest one, First Class. So what does he do? He tells the other two movies to “go and f&#! themselves”.

No kidding, that’s what he did, he completely dismissed these movies.

And Matthew Vaughn must really hate his good friend Jason Flemying, who plays in all his films. Why? Because he gives him tiny unrelevant roles, like a recepitionist (Kick-Ass) or a red pet dog (X-Men: First Class), who is only allowed to say felt 1 line.

Kevin Bacon plays Mr. Sinister, although he is clearly named Sebastian Shaw, has totally different powers, and acts like Blofeld.

Mr Tumnus plays Charles Xavier, who doesn’t want to be called a professor unless he grows bald. He loves his sister, but is totally ok with it that she leaves him, while he is just lying around on a beach.

Nazihunter Michael Fassbender plays a nazihunter in this movie. But actually he is the movie’ s Wolverine, which the real Wolverine doesn’t take well (“Go f&#! yourselves”). In the end, he turns from Frankenstein’ s Monster to Dr. Frankenfurter, but that’s not too bad, good for some laughs.

Then there are our blacks for the quotes, which are nothing but “deads for the walks” (but which are still more convincing than the characters’ motivation at the end)

January Jones tries to escape her “Mad Men” image, but as Emma Frost she has to deal with the same problems women had in the 60s. Tight sexy outfits don’t help much I guess.

Mystique and Beast always try to fit into society, or don’t they? Also they want to bond, but somehow there’s something appealing standing between them. These two characters are excellently written, everybody is in fact, though the bad guy and his minions are not.

Less action, more character-development, as it should be.

The ending is rushed, and the last minute is just build-uo for a sequel. and looks so unintendingly funny.

My advice: Go see it, it’s totally worth it Smile

*Like the other guys, which are no action heros in particular

**may or may not contain spoilers
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:49 am

http://365daysoffilms.wordpress.com/2011/06/18/day-21-x-men-first-class-vaughn-2011/

Day 21: X-Men: First Class (Vaughn, 2011)

18 Jun

I was never a huge fan of X-Men; I never read the comics and I’ve not seen the whole trilogy, but from what I remember about the first film, I loved it. This 60′s set prequel shows the birth of some of the characters we know and love, and some we don’t, but the basis of this film is how the mutants came to be known as The X-Men.

James McAvoy is Professor X and Michael Fassbender is Magneto, both of whom are focal points of this film in how they became to be friends and then enemies. From my shallow knowledge of the saga, they play their parts well and without too much reference to their predecessors, they take on the roles whole-heartedly and without reference. The film gives a few nods to the trilogy as well as the original TV series which should keep Marvel fans amused, but for those who don’t know anything about the characters or plot, the action sequences should keep you on your feet too.

There is not as much action in the film as one would have liked, and some of the special effects and CGI seemed about five years old too, but the characterization of the X-Men, particularly those we know, brings more meaning to the first three X-Men films – which is the whole idea of a prequel. I love the idea behind The X-Men, but unfortunately cannot credit the director of this film for that, but what they can take credit for is the superbly handled action sequences. Vaughn, along with three other screenwriters, wrote this film, and they can certainly be credited for the direction of the plot, as well as that of the characters.

With a basic knowledge of the saga I did enjoy this film, apart from the odd, obvious mistakes about the characters, for example Erik (a.k.a. Magneto) is initially a German as a young boy in this film, whether this is incorrect or not I don’t know, but surely it should be incorrect that as soon as he starts speaking English, not only is he fluent, but he has an American accent. I know it’s not the most realistic film but this annoyed me slightly. Other than one or two other hiccups in the film it’s a fresh approach to X-Men and should keep anyone amused throughout whatever they know of the originals.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:52 am

http://noellesnook.blogspot.com/2011/06/x-men-first-class.html

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Magneto vs. missiles

Scene: 1960s. Cold War.

As Erik Lehnsherr (Michael Fassbender) hunts down former Nazis, Charles Xavier (James McAvoy) studies at Oxford. Erik spent World War II in a concentration camp. Charles lived in luxury, but his parents were never around. His company was a girl about his age named Raven (Jennifer Lawrence). Former Nazi Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon) plots to start World War III, so Erik, Charles, Raven, and a rag-tag group join together to stop him.

Oh, yeah, and they have superpowers. They’re mutated humans, and few know of their existence. Those who do know tend to fear and loathe them, making most mutants feel alone and discriminated against. METAPHOR.

If I had gone in expecting a James Bond film, I might have had a better idea of what to expect. This prequel to the other X-Men films had possibilities. We know from later films that Charles and Erik become leaders with opposing philosophies, even as they appear to share a genuine affection. How fun could it be to see their relationship develop?

The answer is pretty fun but also very stupid.

His mutant power is to fly upside down.

What they got wrong:

Dialogue
Some of the dialogue is cringe worthy and unbelievably cliché. How many times have we heard the phrase, “Who are you and what have you done with (etc.)” or “God help us all?” This may be paying homage to the past, but this knowledge doesn’t make the horrendous lines any easier on the ears.

Humans/Non-mutants/Muggles
Mutants are putting their lives on the line for lowly humans, but the big question here is, will the humans ever accept the mutants? Is it really worth saving a people who may very well turn against you? The film attempts to answer that question and show ambiguity by making almost every human character grating, irrationally stupid, and self-centered. Several minor characters (mostly humans) deliver their terrible lines in an especially wooden manner. This makes the stakes feel remarkably low. That’s quite an accomplishment considering the stakes are World War III.

History
Obviously, this is an alternate history. However, First Class is no Inglourious Basterds, a complex, satirical take on World War II. This film portrays two terrifying time periods in history, the Holocaust and the Cold War, with an offensive mixture of melodrama and lightheartedness. A figure resembling the sickening Nazi doctor Josef Mengele resembles a James Bond villain, gleefully shooting down an innocent Jewish woman. Was anyone else uncomfortable with this?

Race Relations (Spoiler Alert)
The film states its message about fifty times: be proud of your identity, no matter what your appearance. Yet the only African American man (Edi Gathegi, potentially interesting) in the film is one of only two mutants to be killed. The other is a Nazi.

Consistency
As is expected, there are several moments that make no sense. You might find yourself asking, how did that character know that other character’s name? Or, why aren’t they moving when they are in grave danger? Those questions are far less important than several puzzling allegiance shifts. Let’s just say a few characters who appear to be horrified when witnessing mass murder somehow become smug accomplices.

Professor X. (Note: if someone makes this gesture, he or she is reading your mind.)

What they got right:

Style
The design department had great fun with generic but iconic clothes and music of the 1960s. Prepare for turtlenecks and short skirts (and, because this is a comic book movie, cleavage).

Erik and Charles
The relationship between Erik and Charles is quite touching. Charles (dubbed Professor X) is a witty, confident, and believably inspiring leader. McAvoy is likable and surprisingly hilarious in the role. Charles uses his telepathic ability to help Erik (Magneto) control his unbalanced emotions. Erik uses his ability to mentally manipulate metal to pulverize his enemies. Erik is insightful, ruthless, and disturbed. Intense as always, Fassbender is engaging whether terrorizing bad-guys, fighting the darkness within, or giving acute advice to younger mutants.

Mutants
Raven (later named Mystique) has a fairly nice story as a blue shapeshifter embarrassed by her natural appearance. Nicholas Hoult does well as a scientist who is ashamed of his fancy feet, capturing both the character’s diffidence and gruffer side. Scenes involving mutant abilities are in some ways superior to the other X-Men films because characters use their powers to full effect (i.e. they do not unnecessarily backflip or punch others when they could shoot them with lasers). On the whole, the action is quite entertaining and certainly one of the best aspects of this film.

Villains
Kevin Bacon has fun as the nefarious Shaw, and his trio of suave baddies remains confident and calm in every situation. The serene Emma Frost (January Jones) is a telepath who wears mostly undies and can turn her skin into a protective veneer of diamonds. The other two henchmen have a very small amount of screen time. One has at most five lines. The other has none. Still, Riptide (Alex Gonzalez) has an amusing ability to keep his hair and outfit perfectly in place while creating tornadoes, and Azazel (Jason Flemyng) bears a demonic appearance, possesses stunning assassination skills, and can teleport in a burst of flames. (Can anyone blame him for joining the villains? Who would trust a guy who looks like the devil?)

Story
There is an actual arc, including a climax featuring several satisfying action sequences and some emotional resolution. There’s even a little tragedy and surprise.

A satisfying bromance. Professor X tries to help his troubled friend.

Conclusion

X-Men: First Class should be enjoyable for anyone who has followed the X-Men series. It’s an entertaining film which improves as it progresses. Unfortunately, it is not also a good film.

Staring at a demonstration of mutant power the professor's mansion
Posted by Elleoneiram at 4:09 AM
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:52 am

http://kariqhhe.wordpress.com/2011/06/18/live-by-films/

X-Men: the First Class

Almost all my friends, after watching this movie, agreed that it implies great homosexuality. Charles and Erik, could be best friends, could be lifetime enemy, have some kind of chemistry (one friend said: “several times these two were so close to each other that I think they were going to kiss lol”). I am not sure if it’s intended by the director to suggest a subtle gay plot between the two actors or it just comes across that way. For me, James Mcavoy did a good job portraying Charles Xavier – he has got the look of being wise, intelligent, complicated and caring. On the other hand, Michael Fassbender delivered an average performance as Magneto for portraying a young man of rage and resentment with little depth. I give him a pass for being hot and attractive.

Inevitably there are moments where it just doesn’t make sense (e.g. how Charles became disable), but it doesn’t stop the movie from being, in my opinion, the best X-Men movie by far. It well balances actions, romance, friendship, wars, peace, lust, and love. The pace of the movie is well adjusted, which keeps it interesting and stops me from falling asleep throughout the 2 hours. Its message is quite shallow (unlike “the Social Network ” or “Black Swan” type of sophistication) but it disappoints no one since it already surpasses many other comics based movies in terms of storytelling, visual effect, actions, and acting.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:57 am

http://www.cinema-alliance.com/wordpress/?p=998

by admin on Jun.17, 2011

Let me start by saying, it’s ok, you can breathe, it doesn’t suck. While it’s not X1 or X2 good, it’s waaayyy better than X3.

Writing: Bryan Singer (who directed X1 and X2) helps as part of the writing team for story development. So the story is solid. I grew up collecting the comic and had some very early versions in there with the originals, so it was cool to see these characters brought to life cinematically. There’s some fun moments as the mutants are teenagers mostly, so they have a youthful energy that works well on screen as well as through the dialog and their personalities. With the story, there’s some strong character arcs as all the mutants are thrown into the middle of war where they all mature pretty quickly.

The only place this fell short for me writing wise was that the story was cut up way too much. It jumps from scene to scene a lot, especially in the first 2/3 of the movie. I wish they would’ve slowed down long enough for more lengthy exchanges between the characters. You get quick bursts but the emotion of each scene is just getting started by the time the cut to the next scene happens, it’s kind of frustrating. I would’ve especially like to have seen more exchanges with some of the other classic mutants like Havoc and Banshee. Basically some time to breathe would be good.

The actors are great, for me it’s what saved this movie, this could’ve been a real train wreck but the casting kept things on track. The only downside is that I thought Angel Salvadore was unnecessary as well as inaccurate as her character isn’t introduced until much later in the chronology. Sorry, my geek came out. The same is true for some of the other characters in here but I won’t split hairs.

Each actor brought their A-game and really put on some engaging, fun, passionate, and at times very sexy in a shagadelic kind of way (the 60-s Dr. No sheik is much fun) performances. The lineup includes: James McAvoy (Prof X), Michael Fassbender (Magneto), Kevin Bacon (Sebastian Shaw), January Jones (Emma Frost), among many others as this was a huge production.

Aside from my above complaints, Matthew Vaughn does a good job in the driver’s seat. The film is stylish, fun, and at times exciting. For some reason he said that Twilight Fans would love this: no they won’t. This film does have some brains to it and isn’t a soap opera, it requires some focus to follow the storyline since it’s so abrupt.

The effects are top notch and the overall design is well done. Some of the action sequences were a bit cookie cutter when I think there could’ve been some more intensity added, which is one of the key things for me that made the film OK but not outstanding.

This is one of those movies that would be cool to watch in the mall while my wife was shopping but I wouldn’t go out of my way to see it instead of waiting for the Blu-ray.

reviewed by Sean McKnight
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:31 pm

http://klew64.livejournal.com/380483.html

X-Men: First Class: A breath of fresh air into the franchise. It is an intelligent film with top-notch special effects and superb performances by James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender as Professor X and Magneto respectively. It's very successful as an origin film. And the sequel possibilities are intriguing. [Grade: A]
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:36 pm

http://nextyearcountrynews.blogspot.com/2011/06/new-x-men-is-first-class-film.html

Saturday, June 18, 2011
New “X-Men” is a first class film
By Blake Deppe
People's World
June 16 2011

A prequel to the original X-Men trilogy, First Class takes place during the Cuban Missile Crisis and focuses on the relationship between Professor X (James McAvoy) and Magneto (Michael Fassbender). The two mutants unite to form the very first incarnation of the X-Men, in order to combat the Hellfire Club, a group led by Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon), who attempts to manipulate the U.S. and the Soviet Union into engaging in nuclear war.

The film begins with a scene in 1944 Nazi-occupied Poland, where young Erik Lensherr, a.k.a Magneto, accidentally bends a metal gate with his mind. Sebastian Shaw, in an effort to "activate" Lensherr's mutant ability again to serve his own needs, provokes the boy's rage by killing his mother.

The plot then jumps forward to 1962, in which Charles Xavier, a.k.a. "Professor X," an Oxford University graduate, is living with surrogate sister Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence). Xavier soon meets and befriends Lensherr, and, along with Mystique, they decide to aid the CIA in order to stop the Hellfire Club. They are able to locate other mutants, who, as X-Men, band together to prevent a war.

As the story progresses, tensions between Xavier and Magneto increase, with Magneto beginning to share Shaw's negative outlook on humanity.

Every class should be "first class"

This film had an abstract, yet powerful, social message. It remained loyal to the original comics, in which, over the years, there have been gay X-Men, communist X-Men, black X-Men and Jewish X-Men. The series has, through its mutant stories, always made allusions to real-world issues of racism and discrimination. It has always been outspoken in its defense of those who are unfairly judged by society.

In terms of keeping up that tradition, this film did not disappoint me.

An accurate, if alternate, history

While First Class intersperses the era of the Cuban Missile Crisis with mutant interference, it also gets the important facts straight. For one, the film is critical of U.S. policy during this time period, and readily depicts the U.S. placing missiles in Turkey in April 1962. Furthermore, the film seems, in its approach, to outline positive aspects of communism during that era.

Nevertheless, the film did omit an important aspect of the time period it covered. 1962 was a year in which so many poignant events took place in regard to the civil rights struggle. But, curiously, First Class addressed the fight for equal rights only indirectly - if at all. It might have been wise for the story to have highlighted significant events of that era, such as the race riot that arose when the University of Mississippi saw its first black student, or an African-American being asked to speak at the Lincoln Memorial. Instead, the film attacked Nazism, which, while a positive move, many would see as all too familiar and comfortable.

However, James McAvoy felt there were references (albeit subtle ones) to that early 60s' struggle; he felt that Xavier and Magneto drew comparisons to Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X. He told IGN, "I think that is something that is really strong in the X-Men dynamic between these two men who both want the same thing really. In this film it's sort of like meeting them at a point where they are still finding out who they are," through "some of the key events in the sort of equal rights or civil rights struggle that helped shape them."

More than a superhero film

"First Class" did sacrifice a lot of action that oversaturates films today, but in its place, provided superb acting (McAvoy played an Xavier that ought to make Patrick Stewart proud), exceptional dialogue, and solid writing. And, unlike a lot of modern superhero films, the plot was concise, straightforward and free of holes.

After X-Men's disappointing 2009 Wolverine spinoff, expectations were low for this film. But as it turned out, not only did this appear to be the best X-Men film so far, but also one of the best comic book adaptations I've ever seen - a contender even for film giants like The Dark Knight.

This is more than a comic book film - it is a profound cinematic work of historical fiction. Its story is so compelling, in fact, that halfway through it all, I forgot that I was watching a movie about men with blue fur and psychic powers.
Posted by Next Year Country at 9:35 PM
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:37 pm

http://privatematters4publicthings.blogspot.com/2011/06/sunday-recommendations.html

Saturday, June 18, 2011
Sunday Recommendations
I went with an astute reader to see The Tree of Life, which was basically an Ingmar Bergman-directed nature documentary. Make of that what you will. The astute reader and I decided to cleanse our skulls and our spirits by making it a double-feature; I was rather hoping to see Super 8, but the astute reader dragged me to see X-Men: First Class.

What a movie! OMG. I haven't had this much fun in a cinema since I bumped into Betty Zambrowski in the back row of Tumbler's Revenge in 1988 and after the credits she took me out and taught me to fly in her Chevy '73. It was that awesome. The script and the cast were brilliant, but, really, no, this was almost entirely James McAvoy's film, and that's even taking into consideration Michael Fassbender's brilliant performance.

Do you remember another prequel - this time Ewan MacGregor (a fine, fine actor) doing his Alec Guinness impression as the young Obi Wan Kenobi? You know, in those Star Wars prekills? MacGregor's performance was kinda funny as a parody, kinda clever as an impersonation, but it was all a bit "I'm doing a young Alec Guinness"? In all fairness, it was the closest anybody came to acting in those films. But anyway, James McAvoy's young Xavier is not only an utterly brilliant performance in and of itself, as magnetically charming as Max Eisenhardt is charmingly magnetic, but without hamming it up in any way, and with a thick bush of hair on his head, his young Xavier is destined to become Patrick Stewart. It's astonishing.

But maybe . . . there's something that lingers in Michael Fassbender's performance after the film, a desperate intensity or, to use a word that is far too common, something haunted. The film leaks charisma like someone on an operating table during a zombie apocalypse leaks blood. The film drips romance the way the flowers on John Hughes' grave drips dew. But it's also the best Holocaust film ever! (I don't consider Inglourious Basterds a "Holocaust film" per se).

Those of you who think that anything that appeals to the thwarted inner teenager still festering over his complexion or worrying about what her friends think deep down inside your grown-up self is necessarily annoying should probably avoid this film as avidly as I've avoided commas; but otherwise, this film is an official, trademarked Sunday Recommendation.

And here are some other odd destinations. They all have a certain teenage appeal, and they're slightly strange or disconcerting journeys but when you get to the end, you feel as though you were in the right place all along:

Chan Cat Power Marshall goes Crazy.

Nina.

Nina.

Speaking of odd destinations with a certain teenage appeal that were right all along: RIP the Big Man, Clarence Clemons.

Posted by sw at 10:45 PM
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:40 pm

http://katlikesthat.wordpress.com/2011/06/17/kat-likes-x-men-first-class/

Kat likes…X-Men: First Class

17 Jun

X-Men: First Class is based off the Marvel superhero characters of the same name and stars James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Kevin Bacon, January Jones, and Jennifer Lawrence. Directed by: Matthew Vaughn. Rated PG-13

________

So Green Lantern came out today. And originally seeing that would have been my plan for the day due to the fact, as I have said before, I’ve always been inclined more towards the DC heroes than the Marvel ones. I was excited to see Green Lantern end up on the big screen. But GL is being pummeled by the critics and having heard so much good buzz about X-Men, I chose to see that instead. And I am glad I did.

I was never really that interested in the X-Men, their story, or the previous movies despite the fact they starred two actors I do enjoy (Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan). Just didn’t appeal to me. So I’ve kind of gone along learning what I do know about them based on the glimpses of the t.v. reruns of the films while the kids were watching them and the Marvel Encyclopedia which resides on the bookshelf in my sons’ room which my oldest son loves to peruse. So – basic knowledge: Professor X on one side, Magneto on the other. And going into this movie I expected it was going to include something about how that “rivalry” came about.

The movie starts out in 1944 and provides a little background on the young lives of Erik Lensherr (aka Magneto) and Charles Xavier (aka Professor X), and Charles’ discovery of another mutant, Raven Darkholme (aka Mystique). The movie then picks up again in 1962, with Charles Xavier (James McAvoy) finishing his studies and becoming an expert in genetics (and genetic mutations) and Erik Lensherr (Michael Fassbender) hunting down a man who had wronged him when he was young. Their paths cross when the threat of the film’s main villain, Sebastian Shaw, who, in basic terms, is plotting to take over the world, comes in to play. The two form a friendship of sorts and ultimately recruit other mutants to help them defeat Shaw.

I won’t say anymore about the plot of the X-Men because frankly, I think it will give too much away. But I will say this movie was really well done. Not just for a super hero movie, but for a movie in general. I’m the type of person that if a film is a long one (as is the case with XM:FC, clocking in at 132 minutes) and it’s not keeping my attention, I get a little squirmy and start checking the clock. I didn’t squirm, I didn’t look at my watch once, and when we got to the end of this film, it was more like “damn, it’s over.” A movie that’s over two hours and leaves you wishing there was more is a good film in my book. And while I said I haven’t seen the other X-Men movies in their entirety, I did catch the “cameos” in this one. (Well played.) The acting was good and the actors chosen to portray Professor X and Magneto were especially inspired casting. My one complaint would be January Jones – while I’m not exactly sure how Emma Frost’s personality should come across, I’m thinking ice princess or not, she should have at least seemed to have had one.

Chances are if you’re a superhero fan, you’ve probably already checked this one out. If you’re not, I expect you may not have it at the top of your list. But even if you’re not and it’s not, it’s an enjoyable film and worth a look for you if you’re looking for something to see in the next couple weeks while it’s still in theaters. (As a side note, after I left the theater I was once again wishing the writers and producers of the recent run of DC films would make some movie magic like this with their Justice League characters -Dark Knight withstanding of course, because both those films were excellent.)

I give X-Men: First Class 4 out of 5 stars.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:40 pm

http://mrmoviefiend.wordpress.com/2011/06/17/pg-cooper-x-men-first-class-review/

X-Men: First Class Review

Jun 17

Posted by pgcooper1939

Release date: June 3rd, 2011

Written by: Ashley Edward Miller, Zack Stentz, Jane Goldman, and Matthew Vaughn

Directed by: Matthew Vaughn

Starring: James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Kevin Bacon, and Jennifer Lawrence

The comic book film genre owes a huge debt to the original X-Men film. While it wasn’t the first film based on a comic book franchise, it was the film that really started the comic book boom. In spite of all the comic films that have come since, the first X-Men still holds up well, as does it’s sequel, X2. The rest of the films in the series…not so much. X-Men 3 and X-Men Origins: Wolverine, I’d like to pretend they never happened. In the series, only half of the films are worth watching, but now First Class has come along to change that.

Of all the comic book films coming out this summer, this has always been my most anticipated. The first two X-Men films are great, and the second is among the best films in the genre. As bad as the most recent films were, it was clear a new direction was being taken with First Class. Plus, it had Matthew Vaughn directing, and I really enjoyed his last film, Kick Ass. Then the reviews started coming in, reviews calling it a great film, and one of the best, some even saying it was as good as The Dark Knight. My expectations were high, extremely high, but could First Class live up to that?

X-Men: First Class takes place in 1962, and shows how a young Charles Xavier (James McAvoy) and Erik Lensherr, A.K.A Magneto, (Michael Fassbender) came together to form the X-Men. After graduating from Oxford in England, Xavier is recruited by the CIA due to his expertise revolving mutation. He ends up having to track down mutant Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon) and his team of mutants. Shaw plans on starting a nuclear war between the Americans and the Soviets so mutants can rise from the ashes and take the world for themselves. Meanwhile, Lensherr is hunting down Shaw for experiments Shaw performed on him when he was a boy. The two attack Shaw on the same night. While Shaw gets away, Charles and Erik meet for the first time. They then begin to recruit other mutants in order to stop Shaw.

While there is quite a lot going on in terms of plot, the movie really boils down to the relationship between Erik and Charles. This relationship has always been a highlight of the series, and I was curious to see how First Class would handle it. James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender play Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr, respectively. Both are fantastic in their roles, and stand shoulder to shoulder with the previous actors to play these parts (Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen). The Xavier here is a different one then we’ve seen in previous films. He’s a much younger man, and we get to see a side to him we never have before. We see him drinking, partying, chasing women, the typical things someone his age does. Through all this, we still see the wise Xavier, and it’s clear this is definitely the same man who we know and love from the original films. McAvoy does a great job with all this, as he’s really likable, yet also commands your respect, despite being so young.

Just as good is Michael Fassbender as Erik Lensherr/Magneto. Magneto is one of my all time favourite comic book villains, and Ian McKellen did such a great job I didn’t think anyone else could pull it off. Michael Fassbender proved me wrong. He really captures the pain and torment of Magneto’s character, and you really sympathize with him. Also, like Xavier, you see how this Erik becomes the Magneto we know from the other films. Despite are eliciting the audience’s sympathies, Fassbender still evokes the same sense of terror and menace that McKellen brought to the part. McAvoy and Fassbender are both so good in these roles, I’d argue they surpass Stewart and McKellen’s original interpretations of the characters.

Whenever the two are on screen, they command it. Their scenes together are the highlight of the film. From little things such as the two playing chess with each other (which was in the original films) to the scenes where their ideologies are clashing, it’s all so well executed. Throughout the film, there’s a real sense of dramatic irony. We know how things end up, we know Xavier and Magneto are destine to be in conflict. Even knowing this, you can’t help but want things to be different. There is a strong friendship between Charles and Erik, and you want them to stay friends even though you know it won’t happen. The final scene between the two is especially good and is extremely emotional.

The rest of the cast is also very good, even though none of them reach the same level McAvoy and Fassbender are on. Jennifer Lawrence brings a new depth to Mystique as she is caught between both Charles and Erik. On one hand, she’s a long time friend of Xavier (an angle of the story I loved), but she really sees things from Erik’s point of view. I wasn’t too impressed with Lawrence in her Oscar-nominated role for Winter’s Bone, but she really impressed me here. The rest of the new mutants are all good. They aren’t given much to do, but all of them leave a good impression. In fact, this is the first X-Men movie where you really love the whole team. Where all of them are really likable and memorable.

The villains in the film are good, but not great. Sebastian Shaw’s overall plan is very generic and taken right out of a Saturday morning cartoon. Now, Kevin Bacon does a lot with the role and makes him far more intriguing then he should. Plus, Shaw is somewhat a reflection of what Erik will eventually become, which also adds to him a bit. He’s mutant allies were also solid. My favourite is Azazel. Think Nightcrawler, but red, with a sword, and a bad guy. He didn’t have a single line of dialogue, but damn he was awesome. The other two, Emma Frost and Riptide, were alright, nothing special.

The film is well written, and the it integrates the villains plot, history, and human prejudice together very well. Some history buffs may take issue with how the film deals with the Cuban Missile Crisis, but I liked it. The movie is also very well paced, balancing comedy, drama, and action perfectly. Of all the X-Men films, this one is easily the most fun. It’s definitely a dramatic film and there are plenty of weighty moments, but it’s still a lot of fun, and probably the most fun I’ve had in a theater all year. The main reason for this is because of the team they assemble, and how much you like them. It also helps that they’re young people, and have this youthful energy to them that’s easy to get behind.

Vaughn handles the action very well, better than Bryan Singer even did. The climax is awesome, with a lot of mutants dishing it out with some awesome fight choreography, camerawork, and special effects utilized. There’s also a lot of fantastic scenes involving Magneto’s powers, including using a chain to destroy a boat, raising a submarine from the ocean, and stopping a wave of missiles. There’s also some smaller yet just as effective scenes regarding his powers, like Magneto using his powers to torture Nazis.

Matthew Vaughn has done a lot with X-Men: First Class. He’s made a film that surpasses his last one (Kick Ass), he’s made the best X-Men film to date, and finally, he’s made the best Marvel film to date. X-Men: First Class isn’t quite on the level of say, The Dark Knight, but it’s not too far off either, and it’s certainly the best comic book film since The Dark Knight. It’s fun, action packed, dramatic, and features two great performances from young actors I can’t wait to see more of. I don’t care who you are or what kind of films you like, you don’t wanna miss this.

Rating: A
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:42 pm

http://robinsworldmovies.blogspot.com/2011/06/june-movie-3-x-men-first-class.html

Friday, June 17, 2011
June Movie #3: X-Men: First Class
Starring: James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, January Jones, Kevin Bacon
Directed By: Matthew Vaughn
Run Time: 2 hours 11 minutes

X-Men: First Class takes a few steps back in time, back before the X-Men were the X-Men. It shows the "mutants" from the beginning, how they came together and why. It also shows how Professor X and Magneto were friends in the beginning and what caused them to become on opposite sides.

The only X-Men movie I've seen is Wolverine and that was more for the actor than for the story. I had little interest in the other X-Men movies. I know little about them. Every time I saw the preview for this movie, I kept getting confused as to which actor (McAvoy or Fassbender) was portraying whom (Professor X and Magneto) and which one was the bad guy in the future. I think part of my confusion stems from the height difference between the old versions and the young versions. My confusion between who was who made the story I saw in the previews much different. Now that I've seen the movie, I am no longer confused about whom is who.

For never having seen any of the other X-Men movies, I was able to enjoy this movie, probably more than those who have seen the others because I have no idea what happens to any of them in the future. Who lives, who dies? I didn't know. I was able to just enjoy what happened. And I must say, I rather liked it.

This movie has fabulous character development. I was absolutely engrossed with Magneto (played by Fassbender). You completely understand with just the one scene they showed why he was bent on revenge, bent on killing Shaw (played by Bacon). And then to find out their relationship goes further... it's really a no wonder why he wanted him dead. And I also loved how honest Magneto was with Mystique (played by Lawrence) about her true identity, about being a mutant.

There were several lines dispersed throughout the movie that I found absolutely hilarious. Unfortunately, I was the only one in the theater laughing. This movie had some wit to it and I found that refreshing. I liked that it had a lot of heart and wasn't just a comic book with action.

If this movie was lacking, it was lacking in full team development. Aside from the one scene where the mutants meet one another and reveal the things that make them unique to determine their superhero names, I really didn't see the gang doing things to make themselves a team. They did all have one on one time with Professor X (played by McAvoy) which helped solidify him as the leader or "teacher" but there weren't many moments with other mutants with other mutants.

One of the reasons I liked this movie (other than the character development, funny bits with charm, and general cohesive storyline) was the acting. Michael Fassbender was superb as Magneto. I truly saw him embracing his mutant abilities as well as fully understood his pain and his struggle. Kevin Bacon as evil Shaw was despicable. I truly rooted for Magneto to exact his revenge on Shaw. He was used car salesman swarmy... but with ruthless appetite for killing. The way he killed the first mutant was so sad. I kept thinking that the role must have been fun for him. I am on the fence about January Jones' Emma Frost. She was very robotic, so robotic that she was evil. That was good. But then there were too many moments where I wondered if I was mistaking her robotic performance for intended evilness or if she's just robotic and wooden in every performance (see my review of the Unknown). I absolutely loved Jennifer Lawrence in Winter's Bone but I thought her take on Mystique was a bit stilted. I understand why she gravitated towards Magneto (because he helped her deal with being a mutant) but I just wasn't seeing her struggle.

Speaking of Mystique, there is one scene where she morphs into another image that made me howl. I loved the cameo (of whom she morphed into). Such a nice touch. And this is coming from someone who has never seen the other X-Men movies.

I was painfully aware of the use of CGI in several key dramatic moments in this movie. I'm pretty sure no submarine was ever harmed in the production of this movie. There was probably never even a submarine in this movie. So CGI. The blatant use of CGI kept pulling me out of the movie.

One small aside: I was so happy to see Michael Ironside! Watch for him towards the end.

I really liked this movie. I wasn't expecting to like it so much, particularly since I've never seen the other X-Men movies (have I mentioned I haven't seen the others?). It was very well done. The acting, the history, the characters, the story. I didn't even feel that the run time is over two hours. And after it was all done, I will never confuse which one is the bad guy. Ah, Michael Fassbender. I want to see him be full evil. I hope there's an X-Men: 202. And if I'm rooting for a sequel, you have to know that this movie was pretty darned good.
Posted by Robin at 9:44 PM
Email This
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6