Michael Fassbender Fans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top News
WE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT MICHAEL-AN AWARD WINNING ACTOR

Congratulations to the cast and crew of "12 Years a Slave" winning an Oscar for Best Picture

Michael is currently filming "MacBeth"

Watch "12 Years A Slave" and "Frank" in theaters

Watch "The Counselor" and "12 Years A Slave" on DVD available now

Michael is set to star and produce on a film version of the video game "Assassin's Creed"

Completed projects: X-Men, Untitled Malik project

Upcoming projects Assassin's Creed, Prometheus 2, MacBeth,and more!

Header credit here

MFmultiply's Disclaimer

Order region 1 dvds-Amazon store

Order region 2-UK dvds-Amazon Shoppe

Please check the calender for films on TV, Theater, or dvd releases
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

X-Men Reviews 7

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

X-Men Reviews 7 - Page 3 Empty Re: X-Men Reviews 7

Post by Admin Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:02 pm

http://southdakotapolitics.blogs.com/south_dakota_politics/2011/07/mutants-monsters-meth-labs.html

July 09, 2011
Mutants, Monsters, & Meth Labs

X-Men First Class
I am not exactly your go to guy for summer movies. I am your go to guy for horror movies. I have posted a lot on superhero movies. I can recommend X Men: First Class. The blend of Marvel Comics history with real history is delicious. The plot is solid enough for this sort of thing and the action is superb.

The film excels at two things: casting and scene crafting. James McAvoy as Charles Xavier and Michael Fassbender as Erik Lehnsherr [Magneto] are both very good. The former is nerdy first and a bit sexy. The second is sexy first and a bit nerdy. Kevin Bacon as Sebastian Shaw, well, it's Kevin Bacon.

As for scene crafting, Magneto steals the show. Note to self: don't kill Magneto's mother in front of him, even if "Nazi methods are effective", and don't try to threaten Magneto with a metal knife.

Marvel was very clever in drawing a connection between the mutant/non-mutant antagonism and the civil rights story (along with the Holocaust and other examples of majority/minority oppression). Unfortunately, Marvel barely exploits the most interest aspect of their creation. Unlike actual victims of oppression, the mutants really are different from "the rest of us." They clearly do represent a serious threat to non-mutants. The story would be more interesting if the ambiguity of this situation were better developed and more sympathy were shown for those folks who can't fly or read minds and fear those who can.

In the X Men movies, this matter is represented in the friendship and antagonism between Professor X and Magneto. Magneto sees it as an irreconcilable conflict between us mutants and them. Professor X, quite unintentionally I think, comes off as wishful liberal.

One final note: Fassbender looks silly in Magneto's helmet. Sorry.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:50 pm

http://detroitisgotham.wordpress.com/2011/07/12/summer-blockbuster-series-i-x-men-first-class-misses-the-mark/

Summer Blockbuster Series I: X-Men: First Class Misses the Mark

July 12, 2011 at 2:46 pm (Reviews, Summer Blockbusters)

I realize this movie came out over a month ago and I’m far behind the times here in my reviews, but that’s the way things will be. I’ll be trying to put out one a week, which is frankly more than I’ll be seeing per week, so hopefully come August we will have caught up.

I had sky high hopes for X-Men: First Class. The first X-Men movie, which came out over a decade ago now, is a favorite of mine and I grew up loving the Saturday morning cartoon, not the comic. You know this one:

The theme still brings a smile to my face. The first X-Men movie, like this cartoon, was great and picked up on the best parts of the story. It was exciting, it was funny, the effects were well done, but not overdone and the characters were easy to relate to. A lovely summer blockbuster, which frankly was a part of the kick-off of a decade of big, flashy summer comic book blockbusters. A quick glance at Wikipedia’s list of comic films shows that the vast majority of them came out during the first decade of this century. The success of the first X-Men movie, and to a lesser extent of Spiderman two years later, led to a literal explosion of comic themed films. Even more serious pieces, such as Ghost World, Road to Perdition and A History of Violence, surely benefited from the popularity of relying on comics for stories. I don’t find anything wrong with this recent influx of comic book movies, in fact it’s made a comic book reader out of me and introduced me to literally whole new universes of stories, but when it comes to the flash bang of the average summer blockbuster, I think comic book movies have been letting us down all summer long, starting with X-Men: First Class.

The movie is a prequel which is always a tricky thing, just ask George Lucas. It tells the story of Professor X and Magneto as they assemble the very first team of X-Men in the 60s. Part of the problem is the fact that the movie’s a prequel. We know what’s coming too much of the time and the little surprises are just that, little, but I think the acting is what really fell flat for me. The two leads of the movie, James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender as the young Professor X and Magneto, are excellent actors and not so hard on the eyes either and, frankly, on their merit alone I thought this movie would be awesome. Throw in Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique who blew my socks off in Winter’s Bone and you’d think it’s a done deal, but both McAvoy and Lawrence never seemed to get their legs under them in this movie and wavered between their usual dramatic roles and something much sillier. Only Fassbender seemed able to commit to his role in a way that made the performance both believable and interesting. Kevin Bacon’s role as the villain Sebastian Shaw was the worst, nearly stiffer than January Jones which is saying a lot, and his horrendous German in the beginning of the film ruined him for me.

There’s a funny thing with comic book movies, that certain films like Iron Man and the recent Batman series have gotten right, you actually need a solid cast to pull them off. The plots of these movies are like Greek tragedies; they zero in on the very make-up of human existence: right and wrong, life and death, fate and freedom. I’m not trying to be dramatic here, but the plots of these stories are complex in their simplicity. You can’t just phone in your performance when your character is literally fighting for the right of his kind to exist. Is it silly? Yes. Is it melo-dramatic? Absolutely. But if the actor doesn’t believe in the role, it can bring down the whole house of cards and make the audience realize just how silly it is.

The other part of this equation is the special effects. They went overboard and tried to do way too much, as movies often do nowadays. A few well-placed, well done effects really make a movie entertaining, but when the film seems to literally be dripping with them and some of them are outright terrible, it distracts from the story-telling. January Jones’ character Emma Frost got the worst of it. Every time her character morphed into this mess I could only cringe.

And so for me, the film came close to entertaining, but ultimately failed. The story was interesting, but so much of it unsurprising. The effects distracted from the what the story did have to offer and the cast failed to support it with worthwhile performances. I found it lacking, but there are plenty of those who disagree with me. Over at one of my favorite blogs Pajiba, they listed it in the top ten movies of 2011 and it did well at the box office. Even Joss Whedon, king of nerds, described it as a “a stylish film that kind of knew what it was” in a recent story from NPR’s Talk of the Nation. So, clearly, I may be a little picky. In my opinion, however, only two good things came out of the movie: Wolverine’s hilarious and vulgar cameo and this adorable meme that popped up a few weeks ago. But the wonderful thing about summer blockbusters is that there’s more of them than stars in the sky. Look for a review next week about a movie I loved.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:51 pm

http://www.cinemamoviesite.com/x-men-first-class/

X-Men: First Class
PostCategoryIcon Categories : 2011, 20th Century Fox, Action, Adventure, Comic Book, Marvel, Sci Fi, Super Heroes

Here come another movie base on super hero comic book. The series of X-Men movie seem goes backward after the last sequel X-Men 3 the last stand. Like watching the prequel of unique Mutant character that start with X-Men origin movie wolverine. This time back before Magneto and Professor X begin creating their own. At this movie seem to reveal the reason why X-Men have rivalry with Brotherhood of Mutant. Watch your favorite mutant when they still a teenage, learn to control their power to save the world.

The story begin back at a German concentration camp in occupied Poland in 1944, scientist Dr. Schmidt observes young Erik Lensherr (Michael Fassbender) that will be known as Magneto. He bend a metal gate with his mind, the event that triggered this mutant power begin when he separated from his parents. He losing his mother when he fail the Nazy test to move the coin. In his grief and anger, Lensherr’s magnetic power manifests, killing two guards and destroying the room, to Schmidt’s delight. Lets meet the future leader of X-Men in his youngest day at a mansion in Westchester County, New York, young Charles Xavier (James McAvoy). He first encounter the young shape shifter Raven (Jennifer Lawrence) that will be known as Mystique.

In 1962, an adult Lensherr is tracking down Schmidt to take revenge. His tracking goes to Las Vegas, CIA agent Moira MacTaggert (Rose Byrne) follows US Army Colonel Hendry into the Hellfire Club, where she sees Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon) a mutant who can absorb kinetic and radiated energy and redirect it, Emma Frost (January Jones) mutant that can change her body into diamond form, and Azazel (Jason Flemyng) mutant that can teleports. Shaw later kills Hendry, revealing himself as Schmidt and demonstrating the energy-absorbing mutant power that has de-aged him. later MacTaggert, seeking Xavier’s advice on mutation, convinces him and Raven to join her at the CIA. Here they meet with young scientist Hank McCoy (Nicholas Hoult) that will be known as Beast that posses both brain and muscle power. Xavier uses a mutant locating device, Cerebro, to find and recruit mutants for their First Class training to stop Shaw. He and Lensherr find stripper Angel Salvadore (Zoe Kravitz) mutant with housefly wings and acidic saliva that will be known as Tempest; taxi driver Armando Munoz (Edi Gathegi) mutant that posses power of reactive evolution that known as Darwin; Army prisoner Alex Summers (Lucas Till) brother of Scot that known as Havok; and Sean Cassidy (Caleb Landry Jones), that posses the power of ultrasonic scream that will be known as Banshee. After that the story continue with more epic plot of Nation war that start and prevent by the Mutant. Xavier with his X-Men: First Class side want to prevent the war, while villain want to start a nuclear war. Here you can see Magneto have choose more destructive way to solve problem almost like saying kill all the foe. While Xavier try to resolve the matter in peaceful way with less casualties.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:53 pm

http://virtualnetconnector.wordpress.com/2011/07/12/my-summer-movie-list/

X-Men First Class
Before mutants revealed themselves to the world, and before Charles Xavier (James McAvoy) and Erik Lehnsherr (Michael Fassbender) took the names Professor X and Magneto, they were best friends discovering their powers for the first time. Together they worked to prevent a nuclear Armageddon, but in the process a grave rift opened — the start of the eternal war between Magneto’s Brotherhood and Professor X’s X-Men.
Another comic book favorite! This movie ROCKS! Can’t wait to buy it. I liked James McAvoy as Professor X and Michael Fassbender as Magneto. (Do you remember him in 300?) Kevin Bacon also did a fine job playing the villain. (I love Bacon!) If you are a true X-Men fan, go see First Class.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:54 pm

http://morbidmarchhare.blogspot.com/2011/07/reading-and-writing.html

X-Men by contrast manages to give us some interesting characters with an excellent cast, Magneto and Professor X are just as good as ever and James Mcavoy and Michael Fassbender have no problem with taking over Sir Patrick Stewart and Sir Ian McKellen. It has great action scenes too and decent graphics when needed and Kevin Bacon does a surprising turn as a German villain, he's wonderful in the role. Emma Frost seemed completely pointless save for demonstrating a weak psychic rival to Professor X and Moira McTaggert was even more pointless as a love interest.

Still they're both good movies overall though I think I might still prefer X-Men 2 to X-Men: First Class.
Posted by March Hare at 11:48
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:10 pm

http://notesfromvivace.blogspot.com/2011/07/movie-review-x-men-first-class.html

Tuesday, July 12, 2011
A Movie Review. X-Men: First Class
X-Men: First Class. I really enjoyed this movie. I’m no expert on X-Men so forgive me if I totally misstate things here, but the premise of this movie is to start back at the beginning when Charles Xavier (Professor X) and Erik Lehnsherr (Magneto) started to notice their extraordinary powers. You can tell from the start why the two took different paths in life. Charles Xavier came from a family of wealth and therefore trusted the system. Erik Lehnsherr suffered through the holocaust and therefore did not trust the system. In many ways, as the movie indicates, Erik is correct (though obviously too vengeful) while Charles is too naive (he eventually realizes this as he creates a school that is hidden from all).

This is a movie that keeps your attention throughout. It is well-acted though I will say that the scenes that are fully focused on the “newbie” mutants are a bit awkward. The film does rely on James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender and Kevin Bacon to carry the movie. When I first saw that this movie was going to focus on the Cuban Missile Crisis my first thought was: wow, this is going to feel like a really dated movie, but they instead use it to great effect.

Now I have to give it up to Rose Bryne. Looking through her film history, I’ve seen a number of the films she stared in: 28 Weeks Later, Knowing, Get Him to the Greek; however, it wasn’t until Bridesmaids that she really stood out for me. And for this movie, she brought out a sweetness that would have gone missing otherwise.
Posted by Notes from Vivace at 10:45 AM
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:59 pm

http://www.theendlessroadtrip.org/2011/07/x-men-first-class-class-is-over.html

Tuesday, July 12, 2011
X-Men: First Class - Class Is Over

I managed to finish the final hour of X-Men: First Class with Sarah last night. And while I still liked it at the end I did feel like it started to drop off in that last hour. Some of the lazy one-liners from the trailer reside in that part of the film as well as some of the more unbelievable behavior from a character standpoint (mild spoiler: If you've grown up with someone as a brother and they've just been paralyzed are you going to walk off and tell someone you met a few weeks before to "take care of him"? Especially if there's no scene of confrontation between the two of you prior to that?).

The thing we were driven to at the end was talking about how it could have been different and what we would have done differently in a way that I don't think we or I have after any of the previous trilogy (I don't consider Wolverine's Origins films part of the cycle, but I'd find room for First Class.). Which is too bad, because First Class does do a lot of things right: Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy were a great choice. As is Kevin Bacon. There are some really nice establishing scenes early on - Eric's (Fassbender) South American beer haus confrontation seemed like a deleted scene from Inglorious Basterds. But, ultimately it falls into things that you expect and the kind of illogical behavior that isn't any fun (mild spoiler: Wait, so, minutes after the Russians and Americans were ready to blow each other away they start fighting together?).

And it was at that point that I realized that for all of the great set-up I still connect more strongly with the characters from the first trilogy - Jackman's Wolverine, Anna Paquin's Rogue, McKellen's Magneto, and Stewart's Professor X - than I do with these new incarnations.

Sorry, Matthew Vaughn. I liked the movie. It was nice to see somebody do something interesting cinematographically (See the pic above.). I enjoyed all the winks toward "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" and the earlier trilogy. But the second hour just couldn't deliver on the promise of the first.

X-Men: First Class (Matthew Vaughn, 2011) - 78
Posted by Nathan Sizemore at 9:39 AM
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:20 am

http://lianehoarephotography.wordpress.com/2011/07/12/x-men-first-class/

Jul 12

Posted by lianehoarephotography

A brilliant cast for a brilliant film. This prequel to the X-Men series is indeed First Class as it takes you back to the humble beginnings of Charles Xavier and Erik Lehnsherr before they became Professor X and Magneto. At the height of the cold war between the United States and Soviet Union another army is building. Sebastian Shaw is gathering together the Mutants of the world and pushing the world powers’ buttons to begin World War 3 so that in the event of a nuclear appocalypse out of the ashes they will rise. With tensions mounting it is down to Charles and Erik to save the world with their own army of Mutants. But Erik has his own secret agenda for going after Shaw.

All in all this prequel was needed really as it explains an awful lot to the backgrounds of our favourite Marvel superheroes. Featurning a fantastic cast: Kevin Bacon, James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender and a good cameo with Hugh Jackman (Wolverine) not playing his signature character it gets a whopping 9 out of 10 from me.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:09 pm

http://rubyleonne.blogspot.com/2011/07/castelar-at-movies-green-lantern-x-men.html

Friday, July 15, 2011
Castelar at the Movies: Green Lantern & X-Men First Class
The Green Lantern

(taken from Life & Play)
During the course of the year, there have been two great comic book films, Thor and X-Men: First Class, which gave moviegoers a thrilling ride. It was worth the wait. Unfortunately, the latest comic book film adaptation of the beloved comic book character Green Lantern is not an enjoyable experience. This film is marred with some horrible dialogue and simplistic jokes that are more annoying than funny. Furthermore, this film contains some of the worst special effects I,ve seen in a superhero film as many of the characters look fake and it is a shame that so much money was spent on this movie.

This film depicts the origins of some of the most famous heroes and villains of the Marvel Universe. The film starts off by showing us the events that shaped the lives of two different men who would become two of the most powerful mutants that ever lived. These two mutants are Charles Xavier and Eric Lensherr who are polar opposites of each other, but they have a mutual respect for one another.

First of all, we have Charles Xavier portrayed by James McAvoy who possesses a calm and collected demeanor which he uses to help others like him. Xavier wants to show to the rest of the mutant population that mutants and humans can coexist in a peaceful manner. On the other hand, Eric is a mutant who seeks to avenge someone who was very close to him. His humanity and his compassion were crippled by the suffering which he endured for many years as his heart is guided by bitterness and hatred. Michael Fassbender portrays Eric with a sadistic demeanor and every time that he appears in the film. He is a force to be reckoned with; he has a sadistic edge and a natural charisma that few actors have. In other words, this character is a vindictive maelstrom of destruction whose wrath consumes everyone that gets in his way.

Both of these men share a common enemy and his name is Sebastian Shaw. Shaw is a malicious mutant who wants to eliminate the human race so that mutants can take over the world. In this film, Shaw is portrayed marvelously by Kevin Bacon. Bacon creates a malevolent villain who is dangerous and charming at the same time. This man has gathered some of the most dangerous mutants to serve as his personal band of destruction such as Azazel, Riptide and Emma Frost. Frost is a very powerful telepath who protects Shaw from any harm that might come to him. All of these mutants unite to eradicate those people who may reject them. Eventually, the government finds out about Shaw's plans while learning that mutants really exist and they decide to find someone who can neutralize this dangerous threat. Overall, Shaw, Xavier and Eric are natural born leaders, but they have different ideologies on what mutants should do and how to face the human population.

While most humans either fear or hate the possible threat of the mutant population, there's one human being who befriends Xavier and his team. Moira MacTaggert is a smart, strong and sexy CIA agent who believes the mutant population should be seen as allies instead of enemies. Rose Byrne gives Moira the necessary attributers to create a believable character who fights for what's right. This woman joins Xavier and his team in order to stop Shaw and to prevent a war that will cause an infinite amount of damage. Unlike most humans, Moira decides to embrace reasoning over ignorance in order to work together with the young team of mutants who are willing to help the government. This film has many spectacular special effects along with some astounding action sequences that are a joy to watch. Furthermore, there is a special cameo in this movie which is truly surprising. One of the best parts of this film is the ending because it shows how one character embraces the darkness that dwells in his soul and what he is willing to do to fight for what he believes in.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:29 pm

http://jasonmoviewatching.blogspot.com/2011/07/x-men-first-class.html

Friday, July 15, 2011
X-Men: First Class (2011)
Directed by Matthew Vaughn

Plot: The X-Men recruiting drive is here! All Mutants sing up on the dotted line!
Review:
DISCLAIMER: This review assumes that the reader has seen at least one or two of the previous X-Men films or have a basic knowledge of the X-Men. Also, there are minor spoilers.
I thought this was supposed to be a prequel to the original X-Men trilogy. Unfortunately this film takes as many ridiculous liberties with those movies as X-Men Origins: Wolverine. I can’t tell if this is a reboot or a prequel, but with so many inconsistencies, I guess I have to pretend those films don’t exist.
Firstly, a bad joke: Maybe they should have just called this movie “X-Meh”. Sorry, had to get it out.
X-Men: First Class tells the story of how Charles Xavier (James McAvoy) and Erik Lehnsherr (Michael Fassbender) met and came to form the group known as the X-Men. It begins with an accurate recreation of the opening of the original X-Men film, pre-Magneto Erik is being hauled into a concentration camp in 1944 Germany. He is separated from his parents, in a scene that has lost all of its emotional impact since we’ve seen it already in the first film, and discovers his metal controlling powers. This sets into motion the incredibly straight-forward plot of X-Men 1st Class.
What the audience failed to see in that scene the first time around (probably because it wasn’t there), was the dubious Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon in the only role in this film that is actually fun to behold) watching the scene unfold from his office window overlooking the pleasantry of WWII concentration camp life. Shaw, a mutant with awesome energy absorbing powers, uses Erik’s mother as leverage to get the young mutant to show off his power. This goes very poorly for Erik.
On the other side of the ocean a young pre-Professor X Charles is meeting a young Mystique stealing food out of his kitchen. They become friends, bonded by their mutant abilities.
Skip ahead to 1961, somehow Erik has survived WWII and escaped the wicked Shaw and is on a global hunt to wipe out the people responsible for his mother’s death (Hitler isn’t available, so he’s after the rest of the guys). Somehow Xavier has survived college and is busy picking up chicks (who knew this guy was a ladies man?).
Meanwhile, Shaw is planning to start a war between Russia and the United States in order to wipe out humanity allowing Mutant-kind to inherit the planet. And that’s the beginning and the end of the plot. Shaw is responsible for setting the Cuban Missile Crisis into motion and Professor X and Magneto, after a strange meeting, have to stop him.
Of course the sort-of-dynamic-duo goes on a recruiting montage, with the help of some CIA nerds and fellow mutant, Beast (Nicholas Hoult), to build their ranks. After Shaw, with the help of his small band of scary mutant baddies, destroy the X-Men’s CIA headquarters, the group moves into the iconic mansion that will become Charles’ school for “gifted” children. The film is full of these little nuggets of X-Men lore, but it also dumps a lot of the things set up in the original trilogy. For example, in the flashback at the beginning of X-Men 3 Charles can walk and is friends with Erik in the late 1970s or early 80s, but in this film he’s paralyzed by the end of 1962. Wait, what?
Also, for years of films, and decades of comic book lore (the first X-Men comics were published in September of 1963), Erik and Charles were good friends before they separated in their views of humanity and became enemies. In this film they never feel like friends at all, and for most of the film Magneto has completely different goals than Charles, who can read minds so he should have seen this coming. In fact, they are friends for what feels like a few days and two montage sequences. Not exactly best buddies as we’ve been lead to believe.
Now, does this make a difference for the films quality? Not really, unless you’re a big nerd like me and want some nits to pick. But if you’ve been paying attention to the X-Men mythology that has lead up to this film, it feels completely phony.
As an aside, if they knew they were going to screw with continuity this much, why didn’t they go with the original line-up of the X-Men? For those not in the know, the original line-up was Professor X, Cyclops, Iceman, Angel, Beast and Jean Grey. This would have been so much better than this group, the only familiar ones being Mystique and Beast. Plus, the new members, Darwin, Banshee, Angel Salvadore, and Havoc (Alex Summers, younger brother to Cyclops who is somehow an entire generation older than him in this film) are under used and boring. They could have all died at the end of this film and I’d have responded with a shrug.
Added to that is the fact that there’s nothing else in this film that really shines. Sure, Kevin Bacon is deliciously evil, to the point that he feels like he exploded out of a much more fun and exciting film, but the rest of this film is pretty pedestrian. There’s no stand out characters in either the X-Men or in Shaw’s villainous crew. The action sequences are entertaining, but nothing outstanding; they’re not even on the same level as the climax of X-Men 2. It’s like they’re just going through the motions and telling the story that needs to be told to set up further adventures of mutant-kind, and I’m sure they’ll make more of these things. Nothing is being more heavily milked in Hollywood right now than Superheroes.
The biggest disappointment for me is the faith I had in director Matthew Vaughn. I loved his previous three films, Layer Cake, Stardust, and Kick-Ass. All three of those films were quality examples of their respective genres and I expected so much more from this film. Instead we get a film that’s just standard superhero fare.
Bottom line; wait until you can watch this on HBO or Netflix streaming and you have absolutely nothing else to do. Don’t get me wrong, I did enjoy this film while I was watching it, but it was all but forgotten after the credits had rolled. In a summer full of Superheroes and Transformers and Harry Potter, this is one film that isn’t at the head of the class. Ok, I promise, no more bad jokes.
For now.
3 mutant superheroes out of 5!

Posted by Jason at 7:26 AM
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

http://arbitersjudgement.blogspot.com/2011/07/x-men-first-class-review.html

Friday, July 15, 2011
X-Men: First Class Review

When X-Men first graced the silver screen back in 2000, I greatly enjoyed it as well as its sequel released in 2003. Bryan Singer really had the franchise down portraying the characters and their conflicts in a great light. Combined with some excellent action sequences, Singer made a memorable start to the franchise's feature film debuts. After Singer moved on from the series it arguably took a strong turn downhill, however Singer has returned as a producer for the latest installment, the prequel X-Men: First Class.

Set in the 1960's, the film follows a young Charles Xavier (James McAvoy) as he creates a team and then a school for "gifted children" who's purpose is originally to assist the US government in the Cuban missile crisis.

I personally loved how X-Men: First Class took such a popular and memorable recent historical moment and had the entire film centered around these actual events, complete with stock footage of JFK and various news broadcasts. It really helped ground the story, giving it a sense of credibility while also showing us the "unofficial" side of what happened, all of which work wonders for suspension of disbelief.

Of course, as a prequel set in the '60's, X-Men: First Class explores the early relationship of Xavier and Magneto (Michael Fassbender). Beginning with the opening scene from X-Men, X-Men: First Class shows young Erik Lehnsherr loose his parents in the Nazi internment camps, and the subsequent experiments the Nazi's conducted on him to try and harness his mutant powers. As a result Erik is angry; very, very angry.

Years later, he's begun a quest for vengeance, hunting down and eliminating those who hurt him and his family. This takes him in search of Shaw (Kevin Bacon), a former Nazi who has his own plans for the US and Russia and the pending missile crisis. This also leads him to meet Xavier, a man and a mutant who becomes his close friend, and together the two aid one another not only in the hunt for Shaw, but also in the protection of other young mutants whom they begin to form into a team.

Like the original two films, X-Men: First Class has very strong character development. I personally wasn't too big on McAvoy's portrayal of Xavier as I found him rather pompous (though I suspect that was done on purpose), but I thought Fassbender was absolutely brilliant as Magneto. I really felt for the character, his need for revenge, for self preservation, and the struggle to be different in an unfair world. His influence on the other characters, such as Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence), was both stimulating and moving, as were his morale disputes with Xavier. Watching the two drift apparent, using different methods to achieve what they first believe to be the same goal and the realization in one another that each is after something different, well, it's quite sad. The relationship between Mystique and Beast (Nicholas Hoult) also really grounded the central theme of what it means to be normal and to embrace one's own self.

Being a comic-based film, X-Men: First Class features some excellent battles and action sequences complete with stunning special effects. As the young mutants learn to harness their powers better, the action only becomes more intense and more grandiose culminating in the Cuban missile blockade itself, which brings about some additional wonderful character moments as we see these iconic personalities molded into what we already know they're destined to be and how they'll deal with the world they now find themselves in.

X-Men: First Class is not only an excellent film for fans of the franchise, but it's the best film I've seen this year. Filled with very real moral predicaments, strong characters, and wonderful action, the film doesn't disappoint from start to finish and I'm quite glad that Singer has once again dabbled in this wonderful franchise.
Posted by Juxtapose at 9:31 AM
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

http://rvchua.wordpress.com/2011/07/15/x-men-first-class/

July 15, 2011
Filed under: Film — rvchua @ 1:30 pm

I was completely uninterested with this film while it was still being filmed. But then after it was released, I kept hearing good reviews so I was looking forward to it. Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy are wonderful as Erik Lensherr and Charles Xavier, with a younger generation the movie feels new despite being set in the 1960s. I didn’t care much for Mystique, she felt like window dressing but the movie introduced how she and Magneto became close. I also liked that there were a lot of scenes of flying mutants, I didn’t think the last three movies had that. The best scene? Wolverine telling Xavier and Lensherr to f&#! off when they try to recruit Wolverine. Most importantly, why do bad guys have the coolest action scenes?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:31 pm

http://egglets.com/news/2011/07/15/id-53664/x-men-first-class-movie-shocking-review/

X-Men: First Class Movie Shocking Review

by Chun-Lam Samuel Lo
July 15, 2011 No Comments

The X-Men: First Class movie shocking review is here. Is it worth your while? Well let’s just say it is averaging around an 8 on movie review sites. We are giving it a 7 egglets out of 10. It is a long 2 hour 11 minute movie and was released in theatres last month.

Directed by Matthew Vaughn the X-Men: First Class movie reveals how it all started. It is set back in 1962 where Charles Xavier sets up a school for humans with extraordinary abilities. He sets up the school and one of his students is Erik Lensherr who is his best friend. Well the story goes along telling the background of how Professor X and Magneto come about.

The story is written pretty well, but there are many characters to develop in the movie and Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr are the two that the story focuses more on. Whether this is a good or bad thing is up to the viewer. We think that each of the characters in the story are developed very briefly. Some of the characters only show up briefly and then get killed off.

They story of X-Men: First Class shows how each of the characters develop their powers and how the X-Men and humans don’t get along with each other. It is a story of a power struggle within the group of X-Men.

There are a few mistakes in the film and some of the special effects don’t look that flash hot. All in all, the film does do justice to the back story of the characters that appear in the later films. Later films, meaning the films that have already been released but are supposed to play out after this movie we are reviewing.

Grab this movie on Blu-Ray when it comes out. It is a must buy to add to your collection of X-Men movies.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:53 pm

http://movies.derrickclements.net/x-men-first-class

‘X-Men: First Class’
Posted on July 14, 2011

Don't be dissuaded by that Wolverine movie that came out in 2009, the new X-Men film is one of the best in the series with genuine emotion and great moments of suspense. 4/5 stars.

Earlier this year I tried out for a spot in the piano performance program at Brigham Young University. I had been preparing my audition for weeks, trying to master Beethoven’s Tempest sonata, among other pieces. If you’ve played Beethoven you know how emotionally complex his stuff can be, and I spent hours to make the dynamics convey just the right emotions at just the right moments.

As I sat down to play my audition, it went ok–better than I had feared (I was almost certain I would completely lose my head and forget everything with no place to jump to), but at the very end of my audition, they had me play part of my Beethoven. As I played a certain chord at the beginning of the first movement, even I was shocked at how perfectly it came out, and my piano teacher who had been in the room later told me that one of the judges actually erased his written score for me and gave me a new one after that piece of accidental magic.

That’s kind of what happened as I watched X-Men: First Class, a superhero film that I have heard a lot of great things about, and I was expecting to love. I sat through most of it feeling pretty underwhelmed, pretty certain that I was watching about a 3/5-star movie. I actually hate such arbitrary scores, but since I’ve adopted them, I have an easier time coming to a score after I see a given film now.

But then, right in the last act, something unexpected happened. Maybe it was an accident like my magical chord had been, but X-Men: First Class became one of the most enjoyable action films I’ve ever seen. And I had to erase my 3 stars from my brain and bump it up to 4.

Seriously, the ending sequences are that good.

By the way, I didn’t get into the music school, despite my wonderful single chord. And likewise, I don’t know that the third act put this film in the same category as The Dark Knight or The Incredibles as far as superhero films go. Or Spider-Man 2. Actually, no, it’s every bit as good as Spider-Man 2, and it had a lot more going for it than a single good chord.

I want to see Matthew Vaughn direct a follow-up to this, along with this same great cast. Michael Fassbender has been receiving heaps of praise for his performance as Magneto, and it’s completely deserved, along with James McAvoy as Professor X. The other cast members are great as well (I cannot miss Kevin Bacon who steals scenes all over the place) and they all have wonderful chemistry together.

Superhero flicks are often mindless action explode-fests, but the truly great ones like the ones I mentioned have something more important to say as well. X-Men: First Class deals with some themes that previous X films have already addressed, but it does so as well as any of them, and sometimes better. I especially love the way Fassbender’s character is formed through genuine experiences of heartache, and how he gradually is able to convince Raven (Jennifer Lawrence) to embrace her blue skin.

Did I mention the amazing final act? Yeah, it’s amazing.

Directed by Matthew Vaughn. Story by Bryan Singer and Sheldon Turner. Starring Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy, Kevin Bacon, Jennifer Lawrence and January Jones. Music by Henry Jackman. PG-13. 2011.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:53 pm

http://lauraleenutt.blogspot.com/2011/07/x-men-first-class.html

Friday, July 15, 2011

One curse of being a writer is that every moment of every day my writer brain is working, constantly storing away experiences, information, and ideas for potential later use. So naturally, when my husband and I finished watching X-Men: First Class, directed by Matthew Vaughn, last Friday on one of our rare dates nights, I immediately went, “Ah-ha, this movie is what I’ll do my blog on next Friday.” Thankfully, my husband is well-acquainted with and very understanding of my writer eccentricities.

WARNING: SPOILERS!

Some have said that this latest addition to the X-Men movies surpasses the greatness of even the first. Were it not for the fact that the first focuses so much on Wolverine, my favorite X-Man, I would agree without hesitation. Instead, I hold the first and this most recent in a neck and neck contest and am trying to ignore the fact that X-Men: First Class is gaining a tiny lead. After all, I didn’t concoct an excuse to go watch the first X-Men again the very next day like I did this one.

So what made X-Men: First Class worth seeing two days in a row?

Matthew Vaughn cleverly combined powerful elements to make an impactful film that left the audience enjoying characters the previous movies only toted around as cardboard cutouts, smirking at the in jokes, and quivering with excitement to see the heroes and villains we’ve long known become the giants of the mutant playground.

Characterization among the heroes in this movie was excellent. Though odd to see Charles Xavier (James McAvoy) walking and with hair, by the end of the movie as he lies in Hank McCoy (Nicholas Hoult) and Moira MacTaggert’s (Rose Byrne) arms repeating, “I can’t feel my legs. I can’t feel my legs. I can’t feel my legs,” our hearts tear for him.

From the first moment child Raven (Mystique) breaks into a smile when Xavier informs her she never has to steal food again, she steals our hearts. She keeps them as we watch her struggle with the appearance her mutation has forced upon her and in so doing, struggle to accept who and what she is. This Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence) is far deeper and far more interesting than in any other movie.

We sympathize with Hank’s desperate quest to just be normal, and we feel bad when his efforts turn him into the awesome form we all know best even as our adrenaline starts to race with excitement to see him become Beast.

But Erik Lehnsherr (Magneto) earns the greatest amount of interesting story. The setup does a fabulous job of making him instantly sympathetic as we watch him get separated from his mother as they are herded into a Nazi camp in Poland. We shift toward the edge of our seats, watching in just the first few minutes of the movie, him rip open the metal gates with the first use of his abilities, desperate to reach his mother. And we are fully set on his side two scenes later as we see him fail to use his power to move a simple coin by the time Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon) counts to three and shoots his mother. And we understand and watch in awe as his rage and grief fuels him to murder the guards and destroy nearly everything in sight as Shaw beams in triumphant glee and exclaims, “Wundebar!” When Shaw then pats a grieving Erik (Michael Fassbender) on the shoulder and says they will do great things together, the stakes and tone of the movie are clear. At the climax of the movie, when Magneto then murders Shaw with that same coin, as much as we hope he won’t and turn fully into what we know is coming, we understand.

I could go on and on, especially about the interesting and subtle things they did with Xavier, but I’ll save that for a later day.

The villains, on the other hand, were disappointingly flat. Shaw was menacing and powerful but lacked any depth or development. Emma Frost (January Jones), his sidekick in this film, was more eye candy and a convenient telepath, more prop than character. Granted, stuffing good development for everyone into this movie might have dulled its luster or pushed its length beyond reasonable bounds, but I can’t help but wonder if a line or two could have been written in to suggest greater depth for these characters.

The usual conflicts came into play: humans versus mutants. Vaughn gave a glimpse of what the Nazis did to the Jews though young Magneto’s eyes to give a greater understanding and sympathy for Magneto’s views and eventual goals. It made the conflict more real than in the previous movies. Even though we know Magneto is becoming the great antagonist we all know, it’s hard to disagree with him. Even Xavier adopts some of his views after he is forced to see that humans as a whole fall short of his high opinion of them.

Of course, X-Men: First Class contains its fair share of action scenes, ruthlessness, heroism, and awesome moments from raising submarines to aerial combat. There are also lots of uses and references for comic geeks to enjoy from the introduction of Cerebro to the Hell Fire Club.

And, in my opinion, the cameo was the cherry on top, but I’ll not ruin that for those of you who haven’t seen the movie.

What did you think about the latest X-Men: First Class? How did you like it compared to the others? If you haven’t seen it yet, what do you like to see in superhero movies?
Posted by Laura Lee Nutt at 12:00 AM
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:56 pm

http://fametoday.info/2011/07/14/movie-review-x-men-first-class-2011/

← Bad Teacher – Trailer
Daisy Fuentes Show Off Her Kohl’s Summer Collection →
Movie Review: X-Men: First Class (2011)
Posted on 2011/07/14 by Fabiola

by Tony Dayoub

Given the decline of the X-Men movie franchise?which peaked fairly early with Bryan Singer’s X2: X-Men United (not just one of the best in this series, but one of the best superhero films, period) before ending up in the execrable X-Men: The Last Stand and the disappointing X-Men Origins: Wolverine?one would be justified in choosing to avoid the latest entry sight unseen. But the anomalous X-Men: First Class turns out to be one of the most surprising summer blockbuster hopefuls in quite a long time. The cheesy comic-book costumes glimpsed in the preview hinted that this may have initially been planned as a slapdash film hastened to the box office for fear that studio distributor 20th Century Fox’s rights to the series would revert back to Marvel. However, director Matthew Vaughn (Kick-Ass) turns the inherent camp quotient into a virtue, giving us a stylized, period look at the secret history of the mutant group and its origins, at times channeling the espionage-laden eccentricities of the early 007 films.

Playing Bond in this one is Michael Fassbender (Jane Eyre) as Magneto, né Erik Lehnsherr, a holocaust survivor who uses his mutant abilities of lethal control over metals to further his globetrotting Nazi-hunting mission. As he gets closer to his nemesis, Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon)?Schmidt, in his days as a sadistic Nazi doctor?Erik meets Charles Xavier (James McAvoy), a powerful telepath recruited by the U.S. government to gather a mutant team dedicated to stopping Shaw from inciting humanity’s armageddon.

Some of the best moments in X-Men: First Class come in the early part of the film, as Vaughn uses the period, early 1960s setting to supercharge the otherwise conventional movie. Erik’s turtlenecks, narrow trousers and short boots, his cutting sense of humor, and confident swagger evoke the Sean Connery of Goldfinger (1964) or From Russia with Love (1963). The wild, sexually provocative costumes which barely cover Shaw’s sidekick, the glittery telepath Emma Frost (January Jones), are easily explained by the front Shaw uses?a Las Vegas swingers’ hot-spot known as the Hellfire Club?as a cover for influencing the global power-brokers on his payroll. Frequent appearances by JFK remind us that this was a time both filled with promise for the future and dread for the nuclear Sword of Damocles which hung over both the U.S. and the Soviet Union and, as a result, the rest of the world.

Now, lest you think my enjoyment of X-Men: First Class was without reservations, here they are: The allegorical aspects of the franchise that equate the shame of mutation with closeted homosexuality float on the surface of the film. Any of the subtlety used to camouflage the topicality of the first two films is absent here. Also, the actresses in the film (perhaps the only exception being the capable Rose Byrne) are in over their heads. Jennifer Lawrence (Winter’s Bone) displays none of the talent that garnered her an Oscar nomination last year, reading her dialogue flatly. Zoë Kravitz seems to have been cast mainly to capitalize on the intrinsic promotional angles associated with being Lenny Kravitz and Lisa Bonet’s daughter. As for January Jones, is she a bad actress or what? Cast in the largest of the female roles, one wonders not only how she got away with projecting such a dull persona as a character that should stand out simply for the way she vamps it up as the film’s designated eye candy, but if Jones ever really merited any of the attention she received as Betty Draper on the acclaimed TV series, Mad Men? Kevin Bacon fares marginally better as the movie’s big baddie, but essentially his performance is yet another variation on the same smug asshole he’s played since he made his debut in Animal House.

Flawed as it is, X-Men: First Class has two stellar things going for it?a couple of charismatic leads in McAvoy and Fassbender. Both share the kind of chemistry and easy camaraderie often seen in the best movie duos like Douglas and Lancaster, Lemmon and Matthau, and Newman and Redford. They bring equal parts gravitas and humor to their parts, leavening the juvenile dialogue beyond its obviousness. For Fassbender in particular, who has long toiled in the world of indies but is unknown to most of the general public, this should be a star-making performance. If the producers of X-Men: First Class wish to ensure their franchise’s longevity, they should lock down Fassbender and McAvoy now, and start prodding their screenwriters to find something for the mutant team to fight in the Nixon Era.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:03 pm

http://ilovewatchingmovies.blogspot.com/2011/07/film-review-x-men-first-class.html

Wednesday, July 13, 2011
Film Review: X-Men: First Class
starring James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Rose Byrne,
Kevin Bacon, Jennifer Lawrence, January Jones, Nicholas Hoult

Watch the trailer for X-Men: First Class

(source: ClevverMovies)

I saw this movie recently with friends. I didn't even plan to see this as I wasn't interested in watching a reboot of the X-Men movies after seeing the previous three. Why remake it or make an origin movie with mostly unknown actors? Well, I do know or rather recognized a few actors (James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Rose Byrne, and Kevin Bacon) in this one, but still...I wasn't sure if I would watch it until this movie was released and I've heard good things about it. So, me and my friends thought...we'll maybe we should try and see it and judge for ourselves and we did. Glad we did as it was actually, surprisingly pretty good. We didn't expect to loved and enjoyed watching it. This film was made very welll. The ensemble cast were super and great! A lot of them were unknowns with a few familiar actors (as aforementioned) I've seen in other films. There were a couple of wonderful and unexpected cameos from two very familiar characters from previous X-Men films. Very nice and clever to have them pop in and out, out of nowhere and surprising the audience with their interesting cameo appearance in scenes you never expected to see them. Very interesting! I won't say who they are or it'll ruin the cameo surprise (for those who still haven't seen this movie), you'll just have to see this movie to find out for yourself. They were worth watching in their cameos in this movie even for a second or minute there or so. The story was very well written, tied up and connected to the previous X-Men films. You actually get to know and see the characters from their origin, their younger years before they assembled and became what we've already known of them to be as the super-powered mutants aka the X-Men. It was fun and interesting to see them discover they have super powers and to see them learning to use them. James McAvoy as Prof. Charles Xavier (and now I know where the "X" on "X-Men" name came from...very interesting to know) and Michael Fassbender as Erik Lehnsherr (aka the very powerful Magneto) were both brilliant and amazing in this film. Fassbender was just very impressive to watch as the mysterious Erik turned Magneto. Love his French and Spanish accents! He's very easy on the eyes too! Both Fassbender and McAvoy were awesome to watch and just fits into their iconic characters so well. I totally saw them as the younger characters played older in the X-Men films by their older counterparts originally played by Patrick Stewart (Prof. Xavier) and Ian McKellan (Magneto). Great casting in these two (McAvoy and Fassbender)! The other cast were great too especially Jennifer Lawrence as the young Raven aka Mystique (love her changing forms) and Nicholas Hoult as the young Scientist Hank McCoy turned Beast (he looks familiar and now, I remember seeing him when he was a young boy in About A Boy with Hugh Grant. Wow, he's all grown up and looks handsome too!) and loved seeing the demonstrations of their characters' super powers. Kevin Bacon was badass as Sebastian Shaw, the villain here. He was just great as the bad guy in this film. He's very convincing in his villain role.

Overall, X-Men: First Class was a very good movie. My friends and I loved and enjoyed watching it. We were pleasantly surprised that it was actually pretty good. I highly recommend you see this, if you haven't already especially if you're an X-Men fan (or even if you're not). You won't be disappointed. The surprise cameos alone were worth watching. Go see it!

My X-Men: First Class Film Rating: ! (9.5/10; A)
Posted by Jeane at 10:33 PM
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:07 pm

http://tropiccinema.blogspot.com/2011/07/x-men-first-class-rhoades.html

Wednesday, July 13, 2011
X-Men: First Class (Rhoades)
Is “X-Men: First Class” Really First Class?

Reviewed by Shirrel Rhoades

By now, fanboys have probably caught onto what Marvel is doing: Treating movies like comic books.

Sure, they are bringing their famous superhero characters to the big screen amidst plenty of CGI special effects. But there’s a bigger scheme afoot.

Marvel isn’t treating movies as stand-alone entertainments the way we usually think of cinema. Rather, it’s releasing them the way comic books are published – as a series of entertainments that are linked.

Y’see, fanboys don’t just buy the #1 issue of a comic book, they buy the entire series. And the stories are continued from one to the next. Back when I was publisher of Marvel Comics, we used to compare comic books to soap operas, using “Days of Our Lives” scripts to teach our young writers how to tell sequential art stories with greater skill.

Look at the Marvel superhero movies of the past decade: “Spider-Man” was followed by “Spider-Man 2” and “Spider-Man 3,” just like a comic book series. And now it’s being rebooted, just as we used to do with comic books, retelling the story in a new way.

The “X-Men” films have worked the same way. “X-Men” followed by “X-Men 2” and “X-Men: The Last Stand”. And that was followed by the “X-Men Origins: Wolverine” spin-off. At Marvel we always had a half dozen or so different “X-Men” titles being published simultaneously. With a Wolverine spin-off.

Now we have “X-Men: First Class,” a prequel to the other X-Men movies. (Prequels? Heck, at Marvel we even published a title called “X-Babies,” about the mutants as tiny tots.) This new story about Professor X and Magneto as young men is currently playing at the Tropic Cinema.
Just to remind you (in case you’re not an avid fanboy), the X-Men are mutants – genetic freaks who have superpowers. Humans fear them, but the X-Men don costumes to go save mankind from various threats … even itself.

When legendary Marvel Editor Stan Lee created the X-Men, he saw it as a plea for tolerance, accepting people who are different from us. Now, in college textbooks, they’re labeled as “archetypes,” iconic characters that strike a chord within each of us.

Those of you who saw the previous X-Men movies (or read the comic books) think of Magneto as Professor X’s bitter rival, two mutants who have differing views on how to handle being “different.” But in this prequel, you learn that they started off as best friends.
Some compare them to Martin Luther King, Jr. and Malcolm X, two men seeking the same goal, but via very different paths.

In “X-Men: First Class” we meet these young mutants who are just coming to terms with their powers. Charles Xavier, the stud who grows up to become Professor X, is a high-level telepath who can read and influence human minds. His pal Erik Lehnsherr, who later becomes Magneto, has the ability to control magnetic forces.

You’ll also meet mutants who are shape shifters, can spin at incredibly fast speeds, have high-pitched sonic abilities, shoot blasts of cosmic energy, display insectoid physiology or blue fur, and have retractable claws made of Adamanthium.

James McAvoy (“Atonement,” “Wanted”) gives us the young Professor X, while Michael Fassbender (“Inglourious Basterds,” “Jayne Eyre”) opts to be the young Magneto.

Kevin Bacon (“Footloose,” “Tremors”) is closer than six degrees as Sebastian Shaw, leader of the nefarious Hellfire Club. Sexy January Jones (TV’s “Mad Men”) plays the villainous Emma Frost. Oliver Platt (“Please Give,” “Frost/Nixon”) is a Man in Black. And Hugh Jackman (the “X-Men” movies, “Sailfish”) does a cameo as Wolverine.

Director Matthew Vaughn has proven he can do action movies with “Layer Cake” and the comic book-y “Kick-Ass.” He says, “I love superhero films. I want more to be made but they need to be taken seriously as a genre and not just comic books.”

Casting was a challenge. “James McAvoy was top of my list when we talked about who would play Professor X. He got pretty annoyed with me because I made him audition with every single actor who came in for Magento, because I was like if we’re trying to do that Butch Cassidy Sundance Kid chemistry I think it was really, really important that you have to see that chemistry beforehand. The poor guy, I’m wheeling him in everyday saying you’ve got to read with this other actor and this other actor. And then when Michael Fassbender came in, after 20 seconds the two of them together, and I’m like OK, I’ve found them.”

Problem was Professor X and Magneto had already been played to perfection by Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen in those other “X-Men” movies. Vaughn said to his stars, “I think they did a great job but you’ve got to make these characters your own.”
As he pointed out to McAvoy, “When we first meet Charles Xavier he’s not a Professor and we were trying to show that transition. Seeing Magneto becoming a villain, that’s far more interesting than watching a guy sadly becoming a cripple and becoming a teacher ultimately. Charles Xavier, he’s the hardest character to make interesting.”

But he declares, “I think James did a fabulous job.”

The story for “X-Men: First Class” is new. In the comic books, we hinted that Magneto had a history that went back the WWII Holocaust. But in this new take, the story is set against the backdrop of the Cuban Missile Crisis. Can the young mutants Charles Xavier and Erik Lehnsherr avert a nuclear disaster?

Well, it’s no spoiler to tell you that war is averted. Not only do we know how America’s historic confrontation with Russia and Cuba turned out, we also have those other X-Men movies – the stories that take place after this prequel – to prove they survived.

Oh, and as for my premise that Marvel is treating these movie like comic books, “X-Men: First Class” is envisioned as the first in a prequel trilogy. When I was at Marvel we would have termed that a “limited-edition series.”

And just watch, all those other Marvel movies – “Iron Man,” “Thor,” the upcoming “Captain America” – are really part of a bigger series, leading up to a movie about that grand ol’ Marvel superhero team, “Avengers.”

C’mon, haven’t you moviegoers been staying until the films’ end credits are over in “Iron Man,” “Thor,” et al. to see those snippets of Sgt. Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) pulling his Avengers team together for a movie blockbuster? That’s the one fanboys are really waiting for.

srhoades@aol.com
[from Solares Hill]
Posted by geo at 5:51 PM
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:19 pm

http://snarkincorporated.blogspot.com/2011/07/cinema-snark-x-men-first-class.html

Wednesday, July 13, 2011
Cinema Snark: X-Men First Class
I'm really shirking my duties here. This movie came out over a month ago, for God's sake. Of course, I've been a bit busy since then, but still. No excuse.

On the plus side, however, it means that most of you have probably seen X-Men by now, assuming you had the intention of seeing it at all. Unless you were waiting for it to come out on DVD or get put on Netflix or something, but nobody does that because everyone loves paying fourteen bucks for movie tickets and another eight for popcorn. It's the American way.

In any case, this review will contain some spoilers because a lot of you have seen this movie already. Possibly multiple times, if you're like me. But if you haven't seen the movie, fear not! This isn't the most mind-blowing spoiler in the world because you can kinda figure it out by watching the trailer. (Oh hey, I don't see that one black guy in any of the shots of the final battle! I WONDER WHY.)

Okay! Onward.

Make no mistake: this isn't a movie about the X-Men. Not really. Oh, there's a team of costumed mutants flying around fighting evil in their iconic SR-71 Blackbird, but they take a backseat to the movie's real story, which chronicles the rise and fall of the best bromance ever.

No, I'm not kidding.

Here's the thing. To properly discuss this movie, I have to break it down into two categories: James McAvoy/Michael Fassbender, and everything else. The first category is awesome, and makes the entire movie worth watching because it's so damn good. The latter, on the other hand, ranges from good to competent to wince-inducingly clumsy. In the interest of ending on a high note (because I really did like this movie, despite what I'm about to say), I'm going to start with "everything else".

This movie carries some pretty strong messages about racism, almost all of which work better in theory than the way they're actually carried out on film. Yes, mutants are a minority. Yes, people fear and hate them and keep antagonizing them despite the fact that that's a really dumb idea because mutants have f#%@#&! superpowers. Hell, one of the main reasons the X-Men exist is so they can gain societal acceptance by saving the world and protecting ordinary humans. That's all well and good, but there are subtler ways of showing that humans are assholes than "HEY I DIDN'T KNOW THE CIRCUS WAS IN TOWN" and "THE MUTANTS ARE OVER THERE! JUST TAKE THEM AND LET US NORMAL PEOPLE GO!" Like I said, there are two movies at work here--one of them is really good, and the other one has good ideas but doesn't always know how to implement them. There's an effective way of portraying bigotry onscreen, but this isn't it.

And while we're on the topic of bigotry, can I just say that holy s$#! there are some racial undertones to this movie that make me extremely uncomfortable. I don't know how intentional this was, but maybe when you're making a superhero movie about the evils of racism, you shouldn't make your team of good guys exclusively white. Xavier and Magneto enlist two black mutants in their recruitment montage--and within thirty minutes or so, one of them has turned evil and the other is dead. But fear not, audiences! X-Men: First Class doesn't need them, because BLUE IS THE NEW BLACK. Out of the six good mutants that suit up for the final confrontation, two of them are cerulean-hued. That's like having minorities, right? Except that Mystique spends most of the movie looking like this, and Beast used to look like this.

Whoops.

Also, Darwin's death pisses me off on a non-racial level, because his mutant power is pretty much that HE CAN'T DIE. And then he's the first mutant to get killed. Seriously, I'm calling bullshit on this. The phrase "adapt to survive" is thrown around a lot, and then Kevin Bacon says "adapt to this" and puts a ball of energy into Darwin's mouth, and then Darwin looks like he's gonna puke and then he looks sad and then he starts crumbling and everything fades to white. What the hell, guys. It's not like Darwin couldn't think of a way to adapt, because the process is automatic. He's transformed into pure energy in the comics before, why couldn't he do it here? Honestly, they need to bring him back in the next movie. He's an interesting character with a really cool power and it would be really easy for the screenwriters to say "Oh, he didn't actually die from that after all."

On a more positive note, I loved Kevin Bacon as Sebastian Shaw. He seemed to be having a whole lot of fun doing his villain schtick, and his powers were pretty great. The only downside was that they made him speak German and Russian and oh my GOD the man is awful at foreign languages. Seriously, there needs to be an agreement among all filmmakers that they will never again allow that man to speak German, and especially not when he's in the same movie as Michael Fassbender.

Another high point of the "everything else" portion of the movie was Azazel, Mystique's future baby-daddy (guess who their son is), because it's always nice to see teleportation powers used effectively in combat. People have this tendency to not take Nightcrawler seriously because he's not the strongest guy around, but OH HEY super-agility and teleportation can actually make you unbelievably deadly. And also swords. Swords help with the deadliness.

Banshee and Havok are both fun, as is Beast when he finally fursplodes, but they honestly don't have that much to do. That's the problem with team movies, really: you spend all your time on the main two or three characters, which means that all the colorful side characters don't get utilized to their full potential. (Take note, Avengers: Hawkeye is awesome and so is Jeremy Renner. Give him lots of screen time.) On the villain side, January Jones spends most of her time sitting around in slutty outfits, so she's got the most important aspect of Emma Frost's character down--but I kinda wish someone had told Ms. Jones that Emma transforms into diamond and not into a block of wood. Seriously, I'm not sure whether she can't act at all or just decided not to for some reason. And then there's what's-his-name, the one who makes tornadoes and doesn't say a single word for the entire movie. Turns out his name is "Riptide" and not "Eurotrash" like I originally guessed. You learn something new every day, I suppose.

Also, the movie just straight-up looks good. I really like the idea of a "superhero period piece", and I think First Class does a nice job with the 60's vibe. Here's hoping Captain America pulls of the WWII look, as well--it certainly looks like they're on the right track.

Okay. That brings me to my favorite part of the movie.

James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender are great. They're both very talented actors (Wanted and Centurion notwithstanding) who bring a surprising amount of depth to their roles, and any scene that features either of them becomes better by virtue of their presence. The scenes with both of them are just amazing, and not just because the fangirls want them to start kissing. (It's okay, I kinda do too.) The two of them have great chemistry and an innate understanding of how to play off each other, and it's completely believable that McAvoy's Charles Xavier and Fassbender's Erik Lensherr will go on to become two of the most influential figures in the Marvel Universe.

Honestly, if the movie had just been two hours of Michael Fassbender as Magneto traveling the world to hunt Nazis, I would have been okay with it. More than okay, in fact. I would have seen it six times on the big screen and pre-ordered the special edition DVD. He's badass, resourceful, debonair as f&#!, speaks several languages, and has a face that looks like it was chiseled out of fine marble by Michelangelo himself. What's not to love? He's also the most sympathetic character in the movie, due to his traumatic childhood during the Holocaust, and he has pretty damn good reasons for his descent into extremism--namely, he spends the whole movie talking about how humans will try to eradicate mutants and then HE'S COMPLETELY RIGHT.

By comparison, Xavier is pretty much just a dick. He's brilliant and idealistic, yes, but he also uses sh*#&% pick-up lines to seduce women in bars and treats Mystique less like a life-long friend and more like an annoyance. He's pampered and shallow, and for the world's most powerful psychic, he sure doesn't understand how people work. He spends most of the movie trying to convince Erik that mutants and humans will get along just fine, so he looks like a jackass at the end when the American and Russian navies try to kill them with a hail of missiles. All the same, McAvoy brings a surprising amount of depth to the character. It would have been easy to make this version of Xavier into a smug, holier-than-thou douchebag, but there's much more to it than that. Charles really believes that his utopian ideal is possible, and when the s$#! hits the fan, he doesn't back down. As naive as his beliefs may appear, he is willing to fight and die for them all the same.

The conflict between the two characters is set up wonderfully--Charles and Erik use different methods and eventually develop radically different goals, but they still feel an undeniable connection with each other. Even as they experience their parting of the ways, it's obvious that they both wish they could stay together. It's kinda heartbreaking, really.

And yes, their bromance is epic and adorable. There's even an entire Tumblr devoted to it.

So, yeah. See it, if you haven't. It's not all good, but what's good tends to be great.
Posted by Charlie at 2:38 PM
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:23 pm

http://aqsmith.blogspot.com/2011/07/quick-takes-x-men-first-class-midnight.html

Friday, July 15, 2011
X-Men: First Class + Midnight in Paris
These are umm terribly late. Oopsie? Still felt the need to post, so here you go!

The X-Men franchise is technically the monster the began the whole superhero obsession, hitting a year before Spider-Man. And with Brett Ratner derailing the original trilogy, it was smart to turn back to an origin story. The greatest feat in this film, swathed by funky 60s vibes and a filming aesthetic by Matthew Vaugh to match (many film critics referenced a harkening back to early Bond), is the casting. James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender, young incarnations of Professor X and Magneto, are wonderfully matched, giving their sparring the necessary emotional weight and thrill. If you didn't know Fassbender before, you'll know him now; he gives a truly star-making turn in his first big blockbuster lead, dripping with intensity and passion; honestly, the only weak link in the ensemble is January Jones, using her villain Emma Frost's chilly demeanor less as a character choice and more like an inability to move her face (at least she has great cleavage!). The film is soaked a little too deeply in its campy tones, but it raises the franchise back to the heights of the original. My biggest personal problems come from the fact that the characters have 20 years from the end of First Class till the beginning of the original trilogy, but aren't given much space to grow in those years. Sure, I may be nitpicking the mythology, but as a fan, everything is in the details. B
Posted by A. Q. Smith at 3:26 PM
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:06 pm

http://www.newslinemagazine.com/2011/07/movie-review-x-men-first-class/

Movie Review: X-Men First Class
By Farieha Aziz 17 July 2011

x-men-first-class07-11No Hugh Jackman, no Wolverine? I must confess, I had my doubts about X-Men: First Class. But thankfully, the doubts were unfounded: a guest appearance by Jackman in which he uttered all of two words and Michael Fassbender cast as Eric aka Magneto more than made up for any shortcomings.

First Class goes back to the very beginning, when Professor X (or Xavier) was Charles, Magneto was Eric and Mystique was Raven, before any of them had assumed their mutant identities, before they had chosen sides and were, in fact, on the path of discovery of their mutant selves. It traces their childhood experiences, which add context to their mutant ways: Charles’s (James McAvoy) rich yet absent-parent background, Mystique’s (Jennifer Lawrence) vagabond ways ultimately finding a home for herself in Charles’s house as his foster sister, and Eric’s Holocaust background, where his mother was shot before him while they were detained at a Nazi concentration camp. But there is a lighter side to their lives: it is interesting to see a flirtatious Xavier, the bratty Mystique and a very suave Magneto.

The first half of the movie introduces the characters, their backgrounds and how they meet – which is mainly after they are inducted into a covert CIA operation, propelled by an interest in Charles’s thesis on genetic mutation. After roping Eric into the programme, Charles embarks on a journey with him to find and bring back mutants to the research facility, and it is at the facility that we meet Hank/Beast (Nicholas Hault), at that time in human form though still inside a laboratory and with a lab coat on – his usual abode and customary dress. While on a personal level there are fissures, there is much more happening on the global stage. Running parallel to their personal stories is a historical timeline: First Class is set against the political backdrop of the Cuban Missile Crisis — with a mutant twist to that period in history.

Enter Shaw (Kevin Bacon), scientist-turned-politico who was at the helm of affairs in Nazi Germany and is at the helm of affairs years later, though in a more understated manner, responsible for bringing the US and the Soviet Union to the brink of a nuclear war. While Shaw is a common enemy to both Charles and Eric, who are trying to prevent war and the loss of innocent lives, Charles has a clearly defined line he must not cross. For Eric, however, right and wrong is not as simple as that. Shaw is his mother’s murderer and his only interest is in avenging her death. There comes a breaking point for Eric and many other young mutants, when despite them risking their lives to prevent war, the guns are later pointed at them – they are viewed as a potential threat due to the powers they possess. Eric chooses a path of confrontation and destruction as a result, which creates a division between the mutants and leads to a falling out between him and Charles. This ultimately leads to the emergence of the two sides that we see in the earlier movies.

First Class provides insights into the relationships of some of the characters that appear in earlier films and contexualises why they choose their respective paths. It also touches upon the ‘otherisation’ phenomenon, corruption within the ranks of generals and political classes, their desire for a show of strength regardless of the consequences and, of course, the fact that the CIA cannot be trusted.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:31 pm

http://nadow.blogspot.com/2011/07/movie-survey-july-2011.html

7. X-Men: First Class: This movie was perfectly cast with James McAvoy as a young Xavier & Michael Fassbender as a young Erik-Magneto. (With the exception of the awkward blond, and Academy Award Winning Jennifer Lawrence, who made absolutely no sense as and bore no resemblance to Rebecca Romijn's older version of Mystique.) With the interesting Cuban Missile Crisis as the background of the plot events, viewers get wrapped up in the beginnings of the X-Men and of Xavier's school. We are treated to seeing new (and old) mutants and to a movie that was exceptional. Advice: Catch it in theaters before it leaves!

Posted by MsNadow at 2:39 PM
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:36 pm

http://detheo.free.fr/?p=578

* X-Men: First Class, directed by Matthew Vaughn. Sorely disappointed with this film but then again, I had set my expectations rather high, thinking that this retelling of Charles/Professor X and Erik/Magneto epic friendship would be a little bit more character-centred than it really was. Matthew Vaughn, who displays neither talent nor knack in this film, really wasted the potential of what seemed a very good story indeed. Poor character treatment and rushed editing didn’t help at all. In my opinion and to this day, only Bryan Singer’s films really did justice to what X-Men really is about. What a pity. But James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender do pull off impressively good performances, which is nothing short of a miracle considering the screenplay they were given.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:41 pm

http://trickstergamingonline.com/blahblahblah/2011/07/18/x-men-first-class-warning-there-may-be-some-spoilers/

X-Men: First Class (Warning: There may be some spoilers)
Jul 18th, 2011

The movie takes place before the government and public know about mutants, and set around the 60s, during the Cuban Missile Crisis. The general story is a bad mutant, Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon), is trying to turn the people in the world into mutants by starting nuclear Armageddon. The movie starts with Erik and a boy in a German Concentration camp. This is where he first uses his power by accident. This was very good to be because it is how the first X-men started. Sebastian tries to get him to use his powers by making him move a metal coin. He brings in Erik’s mother and tries first to use her to his powers. This does not work and Sebastian kills Erik’s mother, which brings Erik’s power on full blast. This turns in to Erik’s drive for the rest of his life to find Sebastian and kill him. It comes out later that he did experiments on Erik while he was in the concentration camp. During this same time is when Xavier first meats Raven Darkholme (Mystique) trying to steal from his house. He lets her stay with him and treats her as his sister.
Dr. Moira MacTaggerte sees how Sebastian uses a general to try to start Armageddon by putting missiles in Turkey. Dr. Moira MacTaggerte comes to Xavier about mutants and Xavier goes to the government first to warn them of the mutant danger, which they at first blow off, but Raven shows them that she can change into anyone. This causes them to take them to a special training center where they meet Hank McCoy and he shows them a device that can link them to all the mutants in the world using Xavier’s Telepathy. Xavier and Erik start searching for other mutants to help stop the Armageddon.

Cast & Crew

STARRING:
James McAvoy ———————————- Professor Charles Xavier
Michael Fassbender —————————- Erik Lehnsherr / Magneto
Jennifer La ————————————— Raven Darkholme / Mystique
Rose Byrne ————————————— Dr. Moira MacTaggerte
January Jones ———————————— Emma Frost
Kevin Bacon ————————————- Sebastian Shaw
Nicholas Hoult ———————————- Hank McCoy / Beast
Jason Flemyng ———————————- Azazel
Edi Gathegi ————————————– Armando Munoz / Darwin
Zoe Kravitz ————————————– Angel Salvadore
Oliver Platt ————————————– Man in Black
Lucas Till —————————————- Alex Summers / Havok

This is a very entertaining movie. I love the Marvel movies. The newer they get the better they get. I like the introduction of all the characters and how they introduced their abilities. They even threw in Wolverine as a cameo. One thing I did not like is that the movies seem to follow their own storylines. X-Men 1, 2, 3 all had one storyline, X-Men Origins: Wolverine had another, and this one has one. One of the main things that I did not like is Emma Frost. In Origins, she was a young teen that was captured, and Professor X was older, walking and is bald. In First Class, he is young with hair, and she is older. First Class also has him becoming paralyzed when he still has hair. I guess there are ways to get him out of the chair when he is older. It is Marvel and anything is possible. I just think that movies that are supposed to be prequels or in the same universe should follow the same storyline.
Overall, the movie was good. The acting was great. The filming and the characters really made me believe what is going on. I defiantly recommend this movie to everyone. I give it 4 Tricks. See ya!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:57 pm

http://jakennardfamily.blogspot.com/2011/07/jakes-review-of-x-men-first-class.html

Jake's Review of X-MEN: FIRST CLASS

When it comes to X-Men movies, I have been pretty lenient. I was one of the few that actually enjoyed "X-Men Origins: Wolverine". I went into this movie with moderate expectations, hoping for a reasonably good X-Men movie. I definitely wasn't expecting a thoroughly good movie, regardless of genre. Set in the 60's, "X-Men: First Class" focuses on the back-story of Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr who went on to become Professor X and Magneto respectively. The plot centers around the Cuban Missile Crisis and the hand the mutants played. But the emotional crux of the story definitely lies in the friendship of the two leads. Erik, a victim of the Holocaust with a terribly troubled childhood, seeks a figure from his past on whom he has a personal vendetta. Charles, on the other hand, grew up in a wealthy household and went on to become a professor at Oxford University while still in his twenties. Charles meets Erik in an unusual way, but is able to use his rare gifts (telepathy) to tap into some of Erik's more troubling, and more heart-warming memories to help him progress in many ways. I thought this movie was pretty brilliant. Director Matthew Vaughan does a great job balancing drama with action set pieces all while interweaving this film with the original trilogy (though there are a few minor discrepancies in continuity). The two leads played by James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender were absolutely pitch-perfect in their respective roles. Both had large shoes to fill from their predecessor, and both made me more fond of the previous incarnations than I had been with the originals. Some moments are even tear-jerking between them; something you don't get in your average summer blockbuster, let alone in an X-Men movie. I definitely recommend this movie. The best of the X-Men franchise and one of my favorite films of the summer. I give X-Men: First Class four stars.
X-MEN: FIRST CLASS is rated PG-13 for violence, some intense scenes, and language.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next