Top News
WE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT MICHAEL-AN AWARD WINNING ACTOR

Congratulations to the cast and crew of "12 Years a Slave" winning an Oscar for Best Picture

Michael is currently filming "MacBeth"

Watch "12 Years A Slave" and "Frank" in theaters

Watch "The Counselor" and "12 Years A Slave" on DVD available now

Michael is set to star and produce on a film version of the video game "Assassin's Creed"

Completed projects: X-Men, Untitled Malik project

Upcoming projects Assassin's Creed, Prometheus 2, MacBeth,and more!

Header credit here

MFmultiply's Disclaimer

Order region 1 dvds-Amazon store

Order region 2-UK dvds-Amazon Shoppe

Please check the calender for films on TV, Theater, or dvd releases
August 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Prometheus at Comic Con 2011

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Prometheus at Comic Con 2011

Post by Admin on Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:50 am

http://www.lfpress.com/entertainment/movies/2011/07/20/18445531.html

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Comic-Con's most anticipated flicks

By KEVIN WILLIAMSON, QMI Agency

Last Updated: July 20, 2011 1:29pm

From blood-suckers to barbarians, here are some of the movies sure to elicit girlish squeals of delight at the 2011 Comic-Con:

The Amazing Spider-Man (July 2012): How will new Spider-Man Andrew Garfield (The Social Network) measure up to previous wall-crawler Tobey Maguire? Fans will get their first inkling when Garfield, Emma Stone (who plays Gwen Stacy, not Mary Jane Watson) and director Marc Webb spin up the film's first trailer (which leaked online earlier this week). If it wows on the big screen like walloping websnappers, it may convince skeptics the reboot was a worthwhile idea.

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn -- Part 1 (November): Three years ago, thousands of delirious teenage girls -- and soccer moms -- announced with their ear-splitting screams what a phenomenon the original Twilight would be. Now the franchise is opening this year's Comic-Con. Why get it out of the way first? Because no studio wants to promote their films in the 6,000-seat Hall H while it's spilling over with Twihards who are only there salivating for gratuitous glimpses of vampire and werewolf shirtlessness.

Prometheus (June 2012): Ridley Scott's Alien prequel -- starring Charlize Theron, Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace -- hopes to generate buzz towards its release next summer. Remember, while in space, no one can hear you scream, at Comic-Con everyone can read your tweets.

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (February 2012): No one -- even the most ardent fan -- was that impressed with the first Ghost Rider, which probably explains why it's taken four years for a sequel to get underway.

Immortals (November): Fans of Christopher Nolan were disappointed -- but not surprised -- by the news that both 2012's The Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel, which Nolan is producing, will be missing in action. (Nolan is one of the few directors who has so far avoided the event altogether.) But new Superman Henry Cavill will be here to chat up this mythology-based epic. Think anyone will ask him about playing the last son of Krypton?

Total Recall (August 2012): Colin Farrell stars in this remake of the 1990 Arnold Schwarzenegger science-fiction thriller, about a man who, after undergoing a memory transplant, learns his life isn't what it appears to be. The remake, directed by Underworld's Len Wiseman, jettisons the Mars setting of the first film and casts Kate Beckinsale and Jessica Biel as the women Farrell is caught between.

Underworld: Awakening (January 2012): After skipping the last outing, Beckinsale slips back into the form-fitting black rubber as vampire Selene.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (August): While most of the movies being touted here don't open for months, this Apes prequel opens in just a few weeks -- meaning a push at Comic-Con is a marketing must.

Fright Night (August): Another remake starring Farrell, this retread of the 1980s horror-comedy concerns a teen (Anton Yelchin) who discovers his charismatic next-door neighbour (Farrell) is a vampire.

Conan the Barbarian (August): What's the best thing ever, Conan? "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you -- and to hear the lamentation of their women." At least that's the view Schwarzenegger expressed in the 1982 original. And by Crom, one hopes that Conan 2.0 Jason Momoa has at least one line that awesome amid all the decapitations and severed limbs. At least his choice in scantily clad wenches is promising: Rachel Nichols and Rose McGowan.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Fassbenderfans
Blogspot: http://mfmultiply.blogspot.com/
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Prometheus at Comic Con 2011

Post by Admin on Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:46 am

http://collider.com/prometheus-comic-con/104058/

Fox brought the goods today in their Hall H panel, with Ridley Scott’s return to the sci-fi genre Prometheus front and center. The film, which may or may not be a prequel to Scott’s Alien, stars Noomi Rapace, Charlize Theron, Michael Fassbender, and Guy Pearce. Hit the jump for my recap from the panel.

Moderator Damon Lindelof begins by telling the story of how Ridley Scott contacted him to write the script for Prometheus. He recounts how he sat down with Scott and Co. after reading the existing script for the Alien prequel and telling them what he would do differently.

The footage kicked off with a sizzle reel of Ridley Scott’s past films, followed by a featurette-style trailer for Prometheus. We saw the gigantic sets that Scott and Co. are shooting on, followed by a great deal of footage from the film. We see Charlize Theron in captain-style getup, Michael Fassbender as an android (he looks fantastic by the way), Noomi Rapace looks to be a crewmember but she’s apparently the lead role in the film.

Scott narrates the footage which shows the crew traveling to a distant planet and encountering some biological specimens that look like rudimentary versions of the things we’ve seen in the Alien films. Basically, this looks to be a completely original story set in the universe of Alien. Scott ended the footage by saying “Basically, I just want to scare the s$#! out of you.” Judging by the footage, he’s doing a damn fine job. The cast looks great, and the film looks to be old-school horror just like Alien instead of a bang ‘em up action film.

Theron came out to speak with Lindelof and she tells him that she’s “a suit” essentially, and she runs the machine that sends this ship into space. She says she’s not a scientist or a believer, but it seems like she’s in it for the economics, she’s a bit of an enigma and comes across as mysterious. We saw footage of her doing push-ups in clothing that looked like it came from The Fifth Element. She hints at something revelatory about her character in the third act.

Scott isn’t present at the panel, as he’s currently in Iceland still filming. Lindelof shows us some “high-tech s$#!” in the form of Google Maps explaining where Iceland is in relation to San Diego. Theron says it’s “bullshit” that he’s not here, then the Oscar-winning director appears live on the screen from Iceland. He’s standing in front of a waterfall and says his last day of shooting completes the beginning sequence of the film, which wil take place at this waterfall location.

Lindelof asks Scott why it took him so long to come back to the sci-fi genre. Scott says he was too busy doing other movies and he didn’t think about returning until he realized that there’s something in the first Alien that no one has ever asked or answered (he’s talking about the Space Jockey, presumably), and that will be the “DNA” that Prometheus shares with Alien.

Talk about shooting in 3D. Scott explains that they’re shooting in 3D and using minimal digital effects. He says he was brought up as a camera operator and with the help of his technical team he’s gotten the hang of it. Scott says after this experience he will never work without 3D again, even for small dialogue scenes.

Effects-wise, Scott recounts an effects coordinator telling him 28 years ago “if you can do it live, do it live.” He says it’s cheaper and it looks better.

Lindelof asks Scott if he is a replicant, and if not why does he keep leaving origami s$#! on his chair. Scott replies that he thought he was a robot. Lindelof asks Scott if there are robots in Prometheus, to which Scott replies “There may be two.”

Scott says he’s honestly had a better time with this film than he has in many years. Says he felt extremely comfortable with Lindelof’s script, saying the only reason he’s buttering Lindelof up is so Lindelof will pen the sequel.

Scott talks about the cast. Says he saw The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and thought it was one of the more interesting films he’s seen in the last 3 or 4 years, and thought to himself he had to get Noomi Rapace. The camera then pans and reveals Rapace standing next to Scott.

Lindelof asks Rapace about the physical demands of the role. She says it’s been many long and hard days, both physically and emotionally.

Scott talks about the PG-13 rating and says it hasn’t inhibited him in making the film. He says he always makes sure that he has both options (R and PG-13) so that he and the studio can look at it at the end of the day and make a final decision.

Overall, the footage looked great. Super happy to see that Scott is going for more horror/drama than action, not to mention the fantastic cast.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:06 pm

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2011/07/prometheus/

First Footage From Ridley Scott’s Prometheus Makes Our Space Helmets Explode!

By Charlie Jane Anders Email Author
July 22, 2011 |
3:32 am |

SAN DIEGO — Ridley Scott is coming back to science fiction after a quarter century, and we’ve just seen our first glimpse of his new film Prometheus. The good news is, it’s intense, sweaty, scary and beautiful — and intended to scare your pants off.

Spoilers ahead …

Here in Comic-Con’s Hall H, we saw a special featurette about Scott’s new alien movie. The featurette starts with a medley of past Scott films, and then the title card, “RIDLEY SCOTT RETURNS TO THE GENRE HE REDEFINED, WITH AN ORIGINAL SCIENCE FICTION EPIC PROMETHEUS.” At first, you see Scott standing in a studio, and then in a big open space with weird ribs on the walls, and Scott says, “So here we are, I’m back again.” He explains that it’s a James Bond studio (Pinewood) and he could fit seven and a half jumbo jets in here.

And then the actual footage from the film starts, and its a huge flood of creeptastic imagery that recalls Alien but also a bit of 2001: A Space Odyssey. There are guys in pressure suits exploring an ancient chamber with weird hieroglyphs, and a guy in a spacesuit walking through a sliding door into a clean white chamber. And a guy (who might be Michael Fassbender) pulling a weird jelly-looking thing out of a canister. And as Scott’s voiceover notes that things that may look small in the film will turn out to be important, there is a shot of a drop of blood on a finger. There is Charlize Theron on a table with bandages wrapped around her breasts, as though she’s waking from hypersleep.

io9
And then the footage gets faster and more furious, with a guy in a visor looking down at something, a woman in a suit walking into a red entryway, and a globe, and then Scott says, “The cast find an establishment which is not what they expected it to be, it’s a civilization but what we find in it is very uncivilized behavior.” And then there is insane carnage and people with goop inside their space helmets and someone shooting a flamethrower, and mayhem breaking loose in confined spaces. Meanwhile, Scott’s voiceover is saying that there will be biomechanoids and the film will “break new ground.” We see a giant pale planet with rings around it.

And then we see Charlize Theron doing pushups naked. Says Scott in the video, “There is a DNA of the original Alien, [but] that’s as far as it goes, everything else is completely different. It’s all about everything.” And now the people in the footage are crying and screaming and freaking out and the video is flickering like an interrupted signal. And Scott concludes, “Of course, what I want to do is scare the living s$#! out of you.”

Damon Lindelof, who was moderating the panel, talked about getting the call from Scott asking him to work on this movie, and the long process of the two of them sitting across the table from each other hashing out this movie. At first, the “$64,000 question” was whether this was an Alien prequel, but eventually they moved past that.

Theron came out on stage and talked about how the script had seemed really rough when she first came on board, and she worked with Scott and Lindelof to improve it. Theron plays Meredith Vickers in the film, and she described her character:

“She’s very different from anything I’ve done. She’s a suit, essentially. She’s kind of the machine that runs the machine, that takes this mission into space. At first, she comes across like a suit, very cold and frigid, it seems that it’s all about the economics for her — she doesn’t really come from one side or the other, she’s not a scientist or a believer. She runs a tight ship. But you can tell that she’s going to be a problem. And then later…. We had all kind of layered her and given her [hidden depths]. You think you know who she is [but she's an enigma]. Ridley started doing this interesting thing, where he would have me stand in corners and lurk all the time, and it wound up being really mysterious. In the third act, you really kind of strip her from her skin and see what her bones are about, and what she’s really doing there.”

And then we were patched into Scott and star Noomi Rapace via live video feed — Scott is in Iceland, near a waterfall, where he’s just been doing the final bit of filming for a sequence at the start of the movie.

Scott explained why he stayed away from science fiction for 25 years:

“I was actually too busy doing other movies and exploring other genres, so frankly I never actually thought about science fiction until I realized there was something in the first Alien movie that nobody had ever asked the question about … and I thought that could be the centerpiece of what we’ve just completed. That said, that is the only DNA loosely applied to the original Alien. We’ve gone in a different directions, but in the last few minutes of this movie you’ll see what I’m talking about.”

And Scott hinted that “there may be two robots in Prometheus,” not just the one android who’s rumored to be in the film. He added: “I think robots and androids and Replicants have become so much part of the actual science fiction scenario and landscape, that they’re no longer unique. [So] you’ve got to come up with those unique notions that make something fresh.”

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:07 pm

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=31542

Comic-Con: Prometheus First Look
UPDATE! New Pic added

25 July 2011 | Written by Helen O'Hara

High times at Comic-Con today, as screenwriter Damon Lindeloff and Charlize Theron appeared in person at the Fox panel to talk about Prometheus, the Ridley Scott film that has everyone who cares about films just about jigging up and down with excitement. And it got better: Sir Ridley himself appeared with Noomi Rapace via satellite link-up from Iceland to tell us a bit more about the film.

But first there were some clips, which didn't give much away but which looked stunning. Michael Fassbender, looking robotic, examining scientific samples, and wearing a yellow visor standing over a female body under a similar yellow shield. A vast, cavernous space dotted with little shapes on the floor that are about the size of Alien eggs but much more regular. Charlize Theron, hair slicked back, looking cold - but also wielding a flame-thrower later on and doing naked push-ups. Noomi Rapace, whose softer dark hair makes her seem nicer and more likely to survive. Idris Elba, looking unbelievably cool. Incredible sets. BAGS of Scott style.

Scott said, "What I want to do is scare the living s$#! out of you. It shares one piece of DNA with the original Alien but that's all." It involves a space exploration mission that finds a "civilisation that is home to some very uncivilised behaviour."

So why has he returned to sci-fi? "I was too busy doing other movies and exploring other genres, so frankly I never thought about science fiction until I started to realise that there was something in the first of the Aliens that no one had ever asked the question about, and in the next three there was no exploration of that question, and I thought that could be the centre of what we’ve just completed. That said, that’s the only link to the original Alien. But in the last few minutes of the movie you’ll understand what I’m talking about."

And will that planned PG-13 rating limit Scott? "I have a responsibility to my studio, but I always make sure we have both options. You’re crazy not to. Tom and I will both look at it and decide what the best way of going. I’ve fundamentally covered our ass. But there will still be naked push-ups."

Meanwhile, Theron had a few words on her character. "She’s very different from anything I’ve done. She’s a suit, essentially. She’s kind of the machine that runs the machine that takes this mission into space. At first she comes off very cold and frigid and like it’s about the economics for her – she’s not a scientist, not a believer, and she runs a very tight ship. But you can tell that she’s going to be a problem. What I love about Ridley is that we layered her: you think you know what she is but then you realise that she’s mysterious. Ridley had me lurk in corners all the time so she’d seem suspicious. But the really exciting thing is that in the third act you strip her to her skin and see what that’s really about."

Rapace, meanwhile, seems to carry some of the brunt of the stunts. From Iceland, where she and Scott are finishing off the last few shots of production (but filming one of the first scenes in the film), she said, "But I’m bruised, I have cuts and scrapes all over. I’m so ugly today! I just came back from space like two days ago, so it feels really weird to come back to Earth again.

Update: A second picture was added to the stockpile on the Sunday following the panel, so you can check them both out below.

Prometheus will be out next year or, to put it another way, not soon enough by half.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:54 pm

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/ridley-scott-unveils-prometheus-footage/226005

July 22, 2011 13:57

Ridley Scott unveils 'Prometheus' footage

Alien and Blade Runner director, Sir Ridley Scott, has revealed footage, as well as the first official image - see above - from his forthcoming science fiction/horror film, Prometheus. At the Comic-Con in San Diego, Fox Studios held a panel with actress Charlize Theron and screenwriter Damon Lindelof to discuss the project, before Scott surprised everyone with a video showing the first look at his latest film.

Speaking via satellite to the Comic-Con crowd, Ridley Scott - pictured below - said:

What I want to do is scare the living s$#! out of you. It shares one piece of DNA with the original Alien in that it involves a civilisation that is home to some very uncivilised behaviour.

When pressed about the link between Prometheus and the Alien films he said:

There was something in the first of the Aliens that no one had ever asked the question about...I thought that could be the centre of what we’ve just completed.”

Before adding cryptically, "That said, that’s the only link to the original Alien. But in the last few minutes of the movie you’ll understand what I’m talking about."

The footage itself shows a few trademark Alien shots, including Michael Fassbender playing with samples, a ground covered in what looks like alien eggs and Charlize Theron with a flame-thrower. Shots of the actress doing some naked push-ups also feature.

Alongside Charlize Theron and Michael Fassbender, the film will star Noomi Rapace, Idris Elba, Guy Pearce and Ben Foster.

Prometheus, which marks Ridley Scott's first foray into outer space since Alien, is due for release in the UK on June 1 2012.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:31 pm

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/comic-con-2011-first-look-at-prometheus

Comic-Con 2011: First look at Prometheus

Ridley Scott unveils his sci-fi shocker

By Richard Jordan | Jul 22nd 2011

An excited Comic-Con audience was treated to an exclusive first look at Ridley Scott’s return to the Alien universe, Prometheus.

The footage – a short, snappy montage of suspenseful, atmospheric shots – was brief but featured plenty to chew over: a blond Michael Fassbender exploring mysterious biological artefacts; Charlize Theron doing naked push-ups and aiming a flamethrower at someone (or something?); a cavernous room stuffed with distinctly xenomorph-like eggs.

The most remarkable aspect of the footage was how comfortably it appeared to slot into the Alien continuity – from the stunning production design (sleep chambers, Nostromo-styled spaceship corridors) to the closing title card – the word 'Prometheus' gradually yet strikingly revealed in a familiar angular font…

Scott – on location in Iceland with star Noomi Rapace – appeared via video link to Comic-Con’s Hall H, telling everyone that he was aiming to “scare the living s$#!” out of people with the movie.

We also found out that the plot revolves around the discovery of a civilisation that boasts “very uncivilised behaviour” and that “it shares one piece of DNA with Alien”.

Before the footage, Total Film caught up with star Theron and writer Damon Lindelof (Lost), who clarified the Alien connection.

“Ridley wanted to push the movie into original territory” he explained of the script, which was designed as a direct prequel before some last-minute retweaking. “One of the pitfalls of the prequel if you don’t handle it right is that the audience knows what’s coming. So we spent a couple of months together rewriting the script until he was satisfied it felt like its own movie.”

Theron, whos playing a “suit” with “incredible strength and real balls”, said she found Scott’s seminal 1979 sci-fi inspiring when it came to paving the way for modern action heroines.

“Ripley [Sigourney Weaver] is the classic, right?” she noted. “I think Ridley really was the first person who took advantage of how you could explore not only that genre but also themes that I think mostly men in cinema have been allowed to explore. He just likes those kinds of women.”

Like many of today’s blockbusters, Prometheus is also being shot and released in 3D. But, as Lindelof is quick to point out, it’s not just a gimmick for Scott and Co…

“It creates a very immersive environment,” he explains. “Sometimes they’re in very confined spaces, sometimes in incredibly wide-open spaces, but the 3D helps bring you in. One of the most visionary and visual directors in the world is finally using this medium and I think it’s gonna be pretty special.”

Prometheus opens on 1 June 2012.

Read more: Comic-Con 2011: First look at Prometheus | TotalFilm.com

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:36 am

http://www.afterelton.com/movies/2011/07/charlize-theron-alien-prequel-prometheus-ridley-scott

Charlize Theron and Ridley Scott Tightlipped On Mysterious "Alien" Prequel "Prometheus"
, Ned Ehrbar on July 28, 2011

In presenting his new film, Prometheus, at Comic-Con, Ridley Scott was torn between building excitement for the presumed Alien prequel and keeping the project shrouded in secrecy.

What he did decide to show, including footage of stars Charlize Theron, Idris Elba and Michael Fassbender bouncing around in retro spacesuits, looked amazing, even if details about the film were sparse.

“Ridley has been sort of very cryptically obtuse about everything, and he will probably kill us if we say too much about the movie,” screenwriter Damon Lindelof said. “If you were looking for answers, you came to the wrong place.”

Theron was equally circumspect. When asked if she could share any details about her character, Meredith Vickers, she replied, “No, I can’t, sorry. I’m just here to be pretty.”

One thing she would share, though was that she wasn’t sure about playing Vickers — the “suit” behind the film’s expedition — at least not as she was originally written. “Obviously I wanted to work with [Scott], but I felt like the character was a little one-dimensional,” she admitted, explaining that Scott quickly set Lindelof to work fleshing out the character. “I can’t tell you what he came up with, but he came up with some good s$#!,” she said. “She kind of starts out one thing and ends up another thing, and it’s a pretty nice surprise. I don’t want to ruin that for you.”

Another thing the panel didn’t want to ruin was the meaning behind the title. “Part of the fun of the movie is understanding exactly why we called it Prometheus,” Lindelof said. “And also it sounds really pretentious, like Inception. Like, ‘Yeah! That makes the movie sound really smart! It’s so much better than my original title, Explosion.’”

One thing Lindelof did want to clear up, though, is that Prometheus is not really the Alien prequel people have been saying it is, even if the project originally started that way. “Although there might be some familiar things from the Alien universe, this movie has a heart and mind of its own,” Lindelof said. Still, they’re not entirely unconnected: “If you’re a fan of the original film, there will be little Easter eggs in there for you to find,” Lindelof said.

Comic-Con panels are really more about whetting audience appetites than doling out details, and Scott, who appeared via satellite from Iceland, stayed true to that. "There is the DNA of the original Alien. That's as far as it goes," the director said, teasing that a big question from the first two Alien movies will finally be answered. "In the last few minutes of the movie, you'll understand what I'm talking about."

One thing that was revealed in the footage was a lot of Theron’s skin, as one clip showed her exercising in next to nothing. “When I’m naked, I really like to do push-ups,” she joked. Not that nudity has every really bothered the South African native. “I don’t know how much of it is cultural or where you were raised,” said Theron, who admitted that 12 years as a ballerina may have helped her not worry so much about how much she’s wearing. “Look, it’s not like I f*cking love being naked. I’m totally insecure like every other woman.” But she’s all for on-screen — with a few conditions: “I’ve never been in a position where I’ve been like, ‘This doesn’t feel right.’ I wouldn’t do it if I felt that,” she said. “I like the shock value of it. I think that if you use it correctly, it’s really effective. As long as I’m lit really, really, really well.”

But that doesn’t mean the actress spent a long time at the gym before shooting. “In the third act, I have to do a little bit of running and stuff,” she said, hinting that her character might not spend as much time behind a desk as she’d like us to believe. “And I s$#! you not, I am bruised from head to toe. So maybe I should’ve gotten in shape for the film.”

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:33 am

http://collider.com/prometheus-interview-charlize-theron-damon-lindelof-comic-con/104250

Comic-Con 2011: Charlize Theron & Damon Lindelof Interview PROMETHEUS
by Christina Radish Posted:July 22nd, 2011 at 10:04 am

Comic-Con Charlize Theron Damon Lindelof Interview PROMETHEUS slice

Since so much of Prometheus is being shrouded in secrecy, screenwriter Damon Lindelof and actress Charlize Theron joked around a bit, during the Comic-Con media press conference for the highly anticipated film. What we do know is that Lindelof was brought onto the project to move it away from being a prequel and instead giving it its own themes with brand new characters, with the goal of attracting an amazing cast, eventually including Academy Award winner Theron, Noomi Rapace (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo), Michael Fassbender (X-Men: First Class), Idris Elba (Thor) and Guy Pearce (Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark).

Even though both Lindelof and Theron were very cryptic in their answers, they did say that the film covers a very vast expanse of time, how the bar was raised very high as this is director Ridley Scott’s first science fiction film in 25 years, how Charlize plays a suit who is a bit of an enigma with an agenda that is not what it seems, that they want to keep the connection, or lack thereof, to the original Alien film under wraps, and how the film fundamentally and thematically explores the idea of creation. Check out what they had to say after the jump:

Note: If you missed our recap of the Prometheus Comic-Con panel or the first image from the movie, click the links. Click here to listen to the audio.

Question: What is the world like when this story begins? Where does it start?

DAMON LINDELOF: Where do we begin? Well, we begin at the beginning. Ridley [Scott] has been very cryptically obtuse about everything and he’ll probably kill us if we say too much about the movie. Suffice it to say, there are some very big ideas in Prometheus and, therefore, it covers a very vast expanse of time. That’s all we’re willing to say. It’s past, present and future. Is that oblique enough? But, it’s all three.

CHARLIZE THERON: God, you’re talking like you’re the guy who created Lost. It’s so cryptic. It’s so annoying.

LINDELOF: Yeah, if you were looking for answers, you came to the wrong place.

This began as an Alien prequel, so how did it evolve into something different?

LINDELOF: A gentleman by the name of Jon Spaihts wrote an early draft of the script and, at the time, it was going to be a prequel to Alien. And, I think Ridley really wanted to move the movie into more original territory. The idea of a prequel, leading up to the original movies, as opposed to thematically being about something else, but also giving the opportunity to introduce new characters into the movie, was a big deal. Obviously, in order to get an amazing cast, including an Oscar winner (Charlize Theron), it really had to be driven by the people. So, although the ideas of the movie are very big, we wanted to set it and make it feel like it was an alien in that same universe. Ridley hasn’t directed a science fiction film in 25 years, so now that he’s coming back and doing one last heist, as it were, the bar was very, very high. So, over time, the movie began to become much more original. Although there might be some familiar things from the alien universe, this movie has a heart and mind of its own.

Charlize, can you talk about the character that you’re playing?

THERON: No I can’t, sorry. I’m just here to be pretty. No. I play this lady called Meredith Vickers. She’s the suit that runs the company that has nickeled and dimed this whole thing together, to fund this mission. Initially, she really was just that. And, Ridley came to me and said, “Do you want to do this?” I said, “For me, to work with you is a really difficult decision to make, but I’ll think about it.” No. Obviously, I wanted to work with him, but I felt like the character was just a little one-dimensional. [Damon Lindelof] stepped in, and I got on the phone with him and Ridley, and I threw very loose cannons towards him, with no specific ideas, but just wanting her to be somewhat more layered. I can’t tell you what Damon came up with, but he came up with some good s$#!! She starts out one thing and ends up another thing. It’s a pretty nice surprised, toward the third act, so I don’t want to ruin that for you, but she really does start out very one-dimensional. The great thing about Ridley is that he shoots everything so layered that you always wonder. There were many days that I showed up and he would do this tiny little thing like throw me in the corner, just lurking. And then, all of a sudden, that became a character trait. I would always be in the corner, lurking over everybody, and not saying anything, but just watching. Then, you realize that it really adds to this enigma of this character and what her agenda really is.

LINDELOF: I remember in the early draft of the script that Vickers was exactly as Charlize just said, and then Ridley called and said, “I think we might have a shot at getting Charlize Theron to play this part,” and I said, “Vickers?! We’re going to have to make this worthy of her.” A lot of the writing of the script, particularly for that role, is about making suits so that they’re custom designed for the person who’s ultimately going to be wearing them, as opposed to, “This is exactly what it is. You’ve gotta put it on.” Once we had Charlize, it really completely changed the tenor of the entire movie for the positive. Having seen large sections of it, I’ve never seen her play a part like this before, which is pretty rad.

THERON: I’m naked, the entire time.

LINDELOF: That’s true! But, in a very classy way.

How does the name Prometheus fit into the story? Is it related to Greek mythology, or is it the name of a ship?

LINDELOF: We’re not going to talk about specifically how it connects into the movie, other than yes, Prometheus was a Titan who stole fire from the Gods because they were keeping it to themselves and they were worried what mankind would do, if we got our little paws on it. So, that theme is a resonating idea – what humans are doing that we probably shouldn’t be doing, in terms of technological innovation and, perhaps, exploration. Is there a line that shouldn’t be crossed? Part of the fun of the movie is understanding exactly why we called it Prometheus. And also, it sounds really pretentious, like Inception, so we were just like, “Yeah, that makes the movie sound really smart!” It’s so much better then my original title, Explosion. Well, there might be an explosion in the movie.

Is the fire the aliens, and are the Greek Gods the space jockeys?

LINDELOF: Although Ridley has made a lot of comments, over the course of the development of the movie, in terms of how this might tie into the original Alien series, or its relation to the space jockeys, a lot of the fun in going to see the movie is seeing if and how we’re going to try to connect that. But, I don’t think that any of us would have been doing our jobs right, if this movie couldn’t stand on its own. If you’re a fan of the original film, there will be little Easter eggs in there for you to find, but the idea of connecting it in, in an incredibly profound way, would denude its originality a little bit. Maybe there’s a way that it can be both. At least, that was the intention behind it.

You said there are big ideas in this film.

LINDELOF: That was just more pretentious bullshit.

THERON: This is a straightforward comedy.

LINDELOF: I’d say it’s more of a screwball comedy, actually. Let’s be honest, that’s what Ridley does best.

THERON: He’s known for that.

LINDELOF: He likes people throwing pies at each other, and all that kind of stuff.

What are some of the ideas that you wanted to explore?

LINDELOF: I think that one of the really interesting ideas that the movie is dealing with is this sense that space exploration, particularly in the future, is going to start to involve this idea that it’s not just about going out there and finding planets, so that we can build colonies, or anything else. There’s also this inherent idea that, the further we go out, perhaps the more we learn about ourselves. And, I think the characters in this movie – some of them at least – are very preoccupied with the idea of, “Where did we come from? What are our origins? What is our place in the universe? Are we the only sentient beings, or are there others?” That was not really a part of the original Alien movie, where it was just, “Hey, we’re miners. Oh s$#!, we ended up stepping in this huge pile of very frightening s$#!!” So, although there are elements like that in this movie, and there certainly are scares, the idea of fundamentally and thematically exploring this idea of creation was always a big deal for Ridley.

Charlize, you’ve made a lot of really interesting choices in your career and you’re not typecast. What was it about this character that excited you about taking on this role?

THERON: For me, more than thinking of it and compartmentalizing it as a character who does this or is this, it’s always been the only marriage that has lasted, of who I’m working with and what I believe the chemistry of me and that person, and everybody else on the film, can bring and elevate. There’s an instinctive part, when I read something. I read this and I felt like, instinctively, she wasn’t really explored, and that’s fine. Sometimes you do a film and there are characters that are not explored, and you obviously don’t want to hurt a film. But, the more Ridley and I talked about it, the more we realized that, with the big themes of what the story and the film was about, there was a way to explore some of that, in a different way, because Vickers is such a different character. She’s not a believer. She’s not a scientist. She comes with this very frigid, cold, economic mind, and yet there’s something about her that’s questioning and doubting. You think it’s for one reason, and then later you realize that her agenda was actually something completely different, and that really wasn’t explored. You couldn’t explore that through the other characters because they were so different from her. I produce films, so I do come from a place of wanting to make the film better. I really don’t come from a place of, “If I’m going to play this, I need this.” I just wanted to see the potential through, and if Ridley wanted to do that and Damon wanted to do that, then I was really on board. These are the little moments that happen, that you don’t necessarily see coming. Through her and her characteristics, we really explored a lot of deep s$#!, which was really, really fun. Eventually, in the third act, I get to do some really, really fun stuff.

Charlize, earlier you joked about doing nudity in the film.

THERON: I wasn’t joking, gosh! I’m an Academy Award winner. I’m serious.

LINDELOF: Why would we ever joke about something like that?

How have you gotten to be comfortable with doing nudity?

THERON: That’s always so interesting. I don’t know how much of it is where you come from or how you were raised, or how much of it is actually just looking at that as a physical aspect in storytelling. I was a ballerina for 12 years and I changed backstage. Look, it’s not like I f#%@#&! love being naked. I’m totally insecure, like every other woman.

LINDELOF: This press conference is getting so awesome! Just don’t stop. Am I asleep right now?

THERON: When I’m naked, I really like to do push-ups. No. I think I really tackle it like everything else. If you’re going to commit yourself to playing something, you have to be able to understand it. If you can understand it, then you can do it and go balls out with it. But, I’ve never been in a position where I’ve been like, “This doesn’t feel right.” I wouldn’t do it, if it was that. I like the shock value of it. I think that, if you use it correctly, it’s pretty effective, as long as I’m lit really, really, really well.

Did you have to do anything to get in shape for this role?

THERON: I didn’t have to get in shape for this role. I don’t really get to do a lot. I’m the suit, so I have a very fancy office with very expensive chairs, and I boss people around, in my very expensive suit. I didn’t really have that much action. In the third act, I have to do a little bit of running and stuff, which I just did in Iceland. I just came back on Monday. And, I s$#! you not, I am bruised from head to toe, so maybe I should have gotten in shape for the film. I am so bruised, and Noomi [Rapace] has nothing. She does not have a bruise. She was like, “Why aren’t we rolling? Why aren’t we running?” I was out of breath and like, “Oh my god, it hurts!”

LINDELOF: [Noomi] is an animal. Charlize is leaving out the part where all the running is happening with 40 pounds of gear.

THERON: And I’m about seven feet taller than [Noomi], and we’re running in sand. I was going to do Mad Max, and then that got a push. I started training for that, for six months, but I’d be lying if I said I was training on this.

Sci-fi is always trying to predict the future. Will you be exploring any of that?

LINDELOF: Obviously, Blade Runner was an incredibly influential movie, in terms of the way that it envisioned what the future was going to look like. I think the amazing thing about what Ridley does, as a director, is to try to ground that in some sort of fundamental reality. He was the first one to really think of how prevalent advertising might be, in the future, and what Los Angeles looks like. What’s cool about this movie is that it doesn’t take place on Earth, in any real significant way, so the way that we’re experiencing the future is really away from Earth. It’s more about what people are like now. What have they gone through? What are the things that they’re thinking of? The idea that we’re basically all going to be the same a hundred years from now, but we might be driven by different ideas, is what’s driving the movie. So, you will probably see some things that prognosticate what the future is going to look like, that maybe you haven’t seen before, but the movie isn’t really interested as much in the gadgetry and the flying cars of it all, as it is in what these people are going to do, what’s driving them and what’s motivating them as humans to even be there, in the first place.

Click here for all our Comic-Con 2011 coverage.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:20 pm

http://www.thesudburystar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3227857

Alien franchise returns to its roots
By KEVIN WILLIAMSON, QMI AGENCY
Posted 8 days ago

SAN DIEGO, Calif. -- It's a creature so resilient even its own poor choice of scripts can't kill it.

Remember the sequel with a bald Sigourney Weaver? Or the one with Winona Ryder? And the less said about the two WWElevel mash-ups with that 1980s hair-metal has-been, Predator, the better.

Yet despite setback after humiliation, the Alien franchise is again chest-bursting anew -- this time under the direction of Ridley Scott, who helmed 1979's original. Makes sense.

Who better to straighten out the wayward extraterrestrial than Dad himself?

The result, opening next June, is entitled Prometheus, stars Charlize Theron, Michael Fassbender (X-Men: First Class) and Noomi Rapace (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo), and takes place prior to events in the Ripley era. But just how it links up to the Alien mythos -- and everything else about the plot -- is guarded in hyper-secrecy.

"Ridley has been cryptically obtuse about everything and he will probably kill us if we say too much about the movie," screenwriter Damon Lindelof told journalists Thursday at Comic-Con International.

"There are very big ideas in Prometheus and it covers a very vast expanse of time, is all I'll say -- past, present, future. Is that oblique enough?"

"God," Theron chided, sitting beside him, "you sound like the guy who created Lost. It's so annoying."

Actually, Lindelof, in case you didn't know, did co-create Lost, so he's well-practiced in being oblique.

Nevertheless, he did confirm this much: The movie won't repeat the template of " 'Hey, we're miners and we ended up stepping in this huge pile of very frightening s---!' While there may be some familiar things from the Alien universe, this movie has a heart and mind of its own.

"Space exploration in the future is going to evolve into this idea that it's not just about going out there and finding planets so that we can build colonies. There's also this inherent idea that the further we go out, perhaps the more we learn about ourselves."

Theron was slightly more forthcoming, explaining her character is an executive named Meredith Vickers. "She's the suit who runs the company that has nickel and dimed this whole thing together to fund this mission."

The mission being whatever deep-space venture leads to an encounter with you-know-who.

But while she wanted to work with Scott, Theron originally felt "the character was a little one-dimensional ... I wanted her to be somewhat more layered."

A rewrite later, Theron got her wish. "She starts out one thing and becomes another thing."

Sort of like the movie itself, which began life as a straight-ahead prequel and wound up so original "Alien" isn't even referenced in the title.

Which begs the question: Why call it Prometheus? Clearly, you don't know your Greek mythology.

"Prometheus was a titan who stole fire from the gods because they were keeping it to themselves and worried about what mankind would do if we got our little paws on it. That's a resonant idea," Lindelof said. "It makes the movie sound so smart, which is better than my original title: Explosion."

Which isn't to suggest things don't blow up in the un-prequel. Even Vickers eventually gets into some Ripley-esque sounding action.

"I don't get to do a lot. I'm the suit, you know," Theron said. "In the third act, I have some running and stuff, which I just did in Iceland. And I s---you not, I am bruised head to toe. So maybe I should've gotten in shape.

"I'm so bruised and Noomi is nothing, not a bruise. She's like 'Why aren't we rolling -- why aren't we running?' and I'm like 'Oh my God, it hurts!' "

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:21 pm

http://veryaware.com/2011/07/sdcc-floor-report-fox-brings-prometheus-in-time-and-a-closer-look-at-rise-of-the-planet-of-the-apes/

SDCC: FLOOR REPORT: FOX BRINGS PROMETHEUS, IN TIME, and a closer look at RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES
Manny Lozano July 22, 2011

FOX brought out their big guns to San Diego, showing off footage from Ridley Scott’s PROMETHEUS, a new sci-fi film called IN TIME, and an extended look at THE RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES.

Damon Lindelof moderated the panel and you could tell that his inner fanboy was incredibly excited to be doing so.

Things started off quickly, with the first footage from PROMETHEUS, Ridley Scott’s return to sci-fi after nearly twenty five years. It was a combination of footage from the film, which included Charlize Theron doing push-ups whilst wet and naked, Noomi Rapace with a blowtorch, and Michael Fassbender crying milky tears. All of this takes place with lots of touches from the original ALIEN, albiet a bit cleaner and less run down than in that film: things like the rows of xenomorph eggs, the H.R. Geiger styled sets and worlds, and even the sleeping pods all echoed Scott’s original film.

Along with this, there was behind the scenes footage showing that rather than relying on CG effects, Scott had filled the 007 Soundstage at Pinewood Studios (large enough to house two and a half 747′s) as well as five other stages. This is on top of all the exterior shots, which were being completed in Iceland. Perhaps the most interesting element of this whole sequence was that we learned that PROMETHEUS is being shot in 3D.

Charlize Theron then discussed why she chose to join the film; a combination of wanting work with Scott, Mad Max getting pushed, and being paid a whole lot of money, she joked. She said that her character, Meredith Vickers is “a suit” and “the machine in charge of the machine”. She then surprised everyone by introducing, via satellite, Ridley Scott himself, who was in Iceland, finishing the film and its opening sequences.

Scott said that his experience shooting in 3D was so significant that he never wants to work without it again, even for smaller and more intimate dialogue scenes. While Fassbender’s character appeared to be an android like Bishop in the original film, Scott hinted that there would be “two robots in this film”. Who the other is or might be, I have no clue. Ridley then introduced Noomi Rapace, standing to his right and gushed about how much he loved the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo films and why he had to have her for the project because of that.

I didn’t know a whole lot about this film beforehand, but I’m definitely more intrigued now than I was before

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:20 pm

http://www.getthebigpicture.net/blog/2011/7/22/ridley-scotts-prometheus-and-working-with-3d.html

Friday, July 22, 2011 at 12:43PM
Ridley Scott's 'Prometheus' and Working With 3D

We can all thank the 2011 Comic-Con for getting more info out of director Ridley Scott and his latest film Prometheus. A super-secretive and majorly buzzed about science-fiction piece from co-screenwriter Damon Lindelof, who has often cited that Prometheus is not a direct prequel to the Alien franchise, but that it share "similar strands of DNA from Alien". Luckily /Film has a description on some of the footage as well as Scott's admiration working with 3D.

Scott has adamantly said "I’ll never work without 3D again, even for small dialogue scenes." As bold of a statement as that may be, Ridley Scott was in Iceland shooting the opening of the film. Ridley Scott went on to say of his experience shooting in 3D:

3D has been a wonderful exercise but I was brought up as a camera operator so its really about lensing and all that kind of stuff. So with the help I’ve had from a wonderful cameraman and his technical team its been, for me, a pretty straight forward ride. That said I’ll never work without 3D again, even for small dialogue scenes. I love the whole process. 3D opens up the universe of even a small dialogue scene so I’ve been very impressed with that.

With Scott away, Damon Lindelof proceeded to go into more details "about Scott’s choice and how Prometheus is doing things a little different":

When Ridley decided to film in 3D, he understood [lighting] was going to be one of the profound challenges and I think one of the things that was important to him was, in terms of the constructions of the sets, that the movie was shot on sound stages in Pinewood...I’ve never been on the set of a movie that’s actually shooting 3D before. Anytime you walk into video village there are essentially five massive video screens. You walk in, get a pair of glasses and you can see the shot and suddenly you understood, even on the production design level – the movie was designed by this guy Arthur Max who did Fight Club – ‘Oh my god, they actually designed this movie for 3D.’ Ridley is a shot maker. He makes beautiful art. So the idea of going in post and putting things in there digitally is not going to happen in this movie. Therefore, I feel any movie that’s going to be in 3D has to answer the question, ‘Can you justify this being in 3D? Why should it be in 3D?’ I think the answer to that question for Prometheus is it creates a very immersive environment. The idea that you’re in sometimes very confined spaces, sometimes very wide open spaces. But the only way to trick your brain into feeling you’re in the movie, going through these experiences with these characters, is that the 3D helps bring you into that immersive environment and just based on what ive seen so far I think probably one the most visionary and visual directors in the world is finally using this medium, I think its going to be pretty special.

Quite the endorsement from co-screenwriter Damon Lindelof, don't you think? This brings me to the more interesting news, description of footage from said film. Here's what /Film had to say: "We have seen a detailed plot description which seems to spoil a great many details of the first two acts of the film, and today we just saw the first image from the film." See image below.

/Film goes on to say that "...while Ridley Scott says that the DNA ofAlien is in Prometheus and everything else will be different, that’s not what the footage says. The footage very clearly comes both from the man who made Alien and takes place very much in the same world and is connected to that tale."

What we saw wasn’t a trailer, but more like a behind the scenes featurette. Ridley Scott is seen on the massive 007 stage at Pinewood studios, with some of the veryAlien-like production design in the background... The tone of Alien was there, too — the environments we see aren’t quite as blue-collar and run down, but the feeling of dread and atmosphere is there in spades. Oh, and when the title screen came up at the end, letters in Prometheus formed in much the same way the title for Alien forms in that film.

The footage we see of Michael Fassbender seems to support the rumor that he plays a Bishop-like android. He’s got a slightly stylized look that isn’t quite human. (Ridley Scott said there might be two androids in the film.) Other elements of the design depart slightly from the core Alien template, but don’t feel out of place. Keeping with the sense that this isn’t taking place on the same sort of working-class ship seen in that film, the space suits are a little nicer and more pretty, the environments are more clean and gleaming.

But the most important piece, for myself, is this specific illustration of the films' look that truly sells the feel and hopefully the end product of Prometheus: "Some of the shots bear a rather stylized look that is somewhere between the clean, symmetrical aesthetic of Stanley Kubrick’s 2001 and a slightly different ‘clean space’ vision that is a little bit Blade Runner and a little bit Mass Effect."

Prometheus is directed by Ridley Scott and written by Damon Lindelof and John Spaihts. The film stars Michael Fassbender, Noomi Rapace and Charlize Theron. The film is slated for release 8 June 2012.

Source: /Film (3D), /Film (Footage)

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:32 pm

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/07/22/ridley-scott-comes-to-alien-rescue

Ridley Scott comes to ‘Alien’ rescue 2

By Kevin Williamson ,QMI Agency

First posted: Friday, July 22, 2011 1:31:33 EDT PM | Updated: Friday, July 22, 2011 3:48:13 EDT PM

SAN DIEGO, CALIF - It's a creature so resilient even its own poor choice of scripts can't kill it.

Remember the sequel with a bald Sigourney Weaver? Or the one with Winona Ryder? And the less said about the two WWE-level mash-ups with that 1980s hair-metal has-been, Predator, the better.

Yet despite set-back after humiliation, the Alien franchise is again chest-bursting anew -- this time under the direction of Ridley Scott, who helmed 1979's original. Makes sense. Who better to straighten out the wayward extraterrestrial than Dad himself?

The result, opening next June, is entitled Prometheus, stars Charlize Theron, Michael Fassbender (X-Men: First Class) and Noomi Rapace (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo), and takes place prior to events in the Ripley era. But just how it links up to the Alien mythos -- and everything else about the plot -- is guarded in hyper-secrecy.

"Ridley has been cryptically obtuse about everything and he will probably kill us if we say too much about the movie," screenwriter Damon Lindelof told journalists Thursday at Comic-Con International.

"There are very big ideas in Prometheus and it covers a very vast expanse of time, is all I'll say -- past, present, future. Is that oblique enough?"

"God," Theron chided, sitting beside him, "you sound like the guy who created Lost. It's so annoying."

Actually, Lindelof, in case you didn't know, did co-create Lost, so he's well-practiced in being oblique.

Nevertheless, he did confirm this much: the movie won't repeat the template of " 'Hey, we're miners and we ended up stepping in this huge pile of very frightening s---!' While there may be some familiar things from the Alien universe, this movie has a heart and mind of its own.

"Space exploration in the future is going to evolve into this idea that it's not just about going out there and finding planets so that we can build colonies. There's also this inherent idea that the further we go out, perhaps the more we learn about ourselves."

Theron was slightly more forthcoming, explaining her character is an executive named Meredith Vickers. "She's the suit who runs the company that has nickel and dimed this whole thing together to fund this mission."

The mission being whatever deep-space venture leads to an encounter with you-know-who.

But while she wanted to work with Scott, Theron originally felt "the character was a little one-dimensional ... I wanted her to be somewhat more layered."

A rewrite later, Theron got her wish. "She starts out one thing and becomes another thing."

Sort of like the movie itself, which began life as a straight-ahead prequel and wound up so original "Alien" isn't even referenced in the title.

Which begs the question: why call it Prometheus? Clearly, you don't know your Greek mythology.

"Prometheus was a titan who stole fire from the gods because they were keeping it to themselves and worried about what mankind would do if we got our little paws on it. That's a resonant idea," Lindelof said. "It makes the movie sound so smart, which is better than my original title: Explosion."

Which isn't to suggest things don't blow up in the un-prequel. Even Vickers eventually gets into some Ripley-esque sounding action. "I don't get to do a lot. I'm the suit, you know," Theron said. "In the third act, I have some running and stuff, which I just did in Iceland. And I s--- you not, I am bruised head to toe. So maybe I should've gotten in shape.

"I'm so bruised and Noomi is nothing, not a bruise. She's like 'Why aren't we rolling -- why aren't we running?' and I'm like 'Oh my God, it hurts!' "

Nudity not an issue for Theron

There are some things Charlize Theron has no problem revealing.

So while Prometheus plot specifics are off-limits, her undressed state in footage screened at Comic-Con is not.

"When I'm naked, I really like to do push-ups."

This, to be clear, refers to a scene in which she apparently exercises unencumbered. Nudity, as you may have guessed, has never been an issue for the Oscar winner.

"I don't know much of it is where you come from or how you were raised or how much is just looking at that as a physical aspect in storytelling. I was a ballerina for 12 years and I changed backstage. It's not like I love being naked, I'm insecure like every other woman.

"I think I tackle it like anything else. If you're going to play something, you have to commit yourself to understand it. And if you can understand it, then you can do -- you can go balls-out with it. But I've never been in the position where it didn't feel right.

"I like the shock value of it. I think if you use it correctly, it's pretty effective -- as long as I'm lit really, really, really well."

kevin.williamson@sunmedia.ca

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:33 pm

http://www.collegenews.com/index.php?/article/prometheus_13223/

“Prometheus” arrives at Comic-Con

Ridley Scott returns to the sci-fi genre with "Prometheus"

Madeline Rossman

Ridley Scott’s new movie, “Prometheus,” has people talking. A featurette of Scott’s upcoming alien movie was revealed during Comic-Con Thursday, following a montage of the sci-fi director’s iconic film history. The presentation promised an epic return from the man behind the 1979 classic “Alien.”

While much of the story of “Prometheus” still remains a mystery, the featurette definitely sparked interest. Actual footage from the movie, io9 shares, showed ancient rooms with hieroglyphics, violence, chaos and Charlize Theron doing naked push-ups. The movie, filmed in digital 3D also stars Idris Elba, Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace.

Although the possibility of an “Alien” prequel was considered early on in the process, Scott maintains that most of the new movie is completely original. According to USA Today, Scott explained that an unanswered question in “Alien” motivated much of the film, something audiences can expect to “understand in the last few minutes of the film.”

Fans of the genre have waited a long time for Scott’s science fiction return, a cinematic silence lasting since 1982’s “Blade Runner,” and the Comic-Con presentation does not predict disappointment. For a more detailed analysis of the featurette, visit io9 here.
07/22/11

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:37 pm

http://www.metro.co.uk/film/870116-charlize-theron-discusses-different-role-in-sci-fi-epic-prometheus

Charlize Theron discusses 'different' role in sci-fi epic Prometheus

Actress Charlize Theron has given fans an idea of what to expect from her role in sci-fi epic Prometheus as she revealed more about the film at Comic-Con.

Charlize Theron Exciting role: Charlize Theron told Comic-Con that she will play a 'different' kind of character in Prometheus (Picture: Splash News)

The Oscar-winning star appeared at the movie convention in San Diego where early footage of the film - which is directed by Ridley Scott and also stars Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace - was shown.

And Scott and Rapace - who sprang to fame in the original film version of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - appeared via satellite link-up from Iceland to discuss the forthcoming epic.

Although the clips revealed little about the film, they showed Theron doing naked press-ups and at one point wielding a flame-thrower - as well as sinister hints of alien activity.

Scott said the aim of the film was to 'scare the living s**t out of you', and added: 'It shares one piece of DNA with the original Alien but that's all.'
Ridley Scott at Comic-Con Live link-up: Ridley Scott appeared via satellite from Iceland to discuss the film (Picture: AP)

Theron, meanwhile, described her character Vickers as 'different from anything I've ever done'.

'At first she comes off very cold and frigid and like it’s about the economics for her – she’s not a scientist, not a believer, and she runs a very tight ship. But you can tell that she’s going to be a problem,' the actress said.

'What I love about Ridley is that we layered her: you think you know what she is but then you realise that she’s mysterious.'

Elsewhere at Comic-Con, director Robert Rodriguez revealed that he is set to make a sequel to Machete, called Machete Kills - and also explained his plans for the next Spy Kids film due out this summer.

'That's going to be in 4D, and that means there's going to be scratch-and-sniff,' he said.

'This stuff smells amazing. Even if you're not a kid you're going to have fun.'

Men In Black's make-up guru Rick Baker also appeared at the convention, and promised that the third film in the franchise, due out next summer, would feature 'retro' aliens in keeping with its time-travel theme.

'I thought, 'when we go back to 1969, wouldn’t it be cool to have retro aliens? Big brains, bug eyes, stuff like that?’ Baker said.

'I thought they should have a totally different, retro feel. And they agreed to it, thank God. So I got to make a whole bunch of cool stuff.'

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:58 pm

http://filmonic.com/first-look-at-ridley-scotts-prometheus

First look at Ridley Scott’s Prometheus

by Liam on July 22, 2011

prometheus 20th Century Fox decided to feature Ridley Scott’s Prometheus at the San Diego Comic Con, and those in attendance were treated to a featurette containing behind-the-scenes footage as well as footage from the movie.

After this writer Damon Lindelof (Lost) and Charlize Theron presented the panel with Ridley Scott and Noomi Rapace joining via satellite uplink from Iceland. The studio have released the first official image (see above) for those who didn’t attend, but thankfully reports of what was shown during the panel have surfaced.

AvP Galaxy compiled a great summary of the panel and the interesting bits:

- Many of the sets, spaceships, space suits and the look in general appeared very reminiscent of Alien. Repeated comments are that the sets are “epic and expansive“.
- In the footage the “Prometheus” title card slowly faded onto screen much in the same manner as the original “Alien” title.
- Michael Fassbender’s character, David, is shown looking curiously at a drop of blood on his finger.
- Charlize Theron’s character, Vickers, was also seen doing naked push-ups and wielding a flame-thrower. Vickers is revealed to “be a suit“. Theron also comments that: “She[Vickers] runs a tight ship… but she’s somehow ‘going to be a problem“.
- Ridley Scott comments on the long wait for his return to science-fiction: “I was busy doing other movies and exploring other genres and, frankly, I never thought about sci-fi until I realized there was something in the first Alien that no one ever asked a question about. In the next one, still no exploration of that big question, so maybe that can be the centerpiece of what we just complete. But we’ve decided to go a complete other direction… In the last few minutes of the movie… you’ll actually understand what I’m talking about . “

You can read the rest of the round-up here. It’s still early days yet but it looks like Ridley Scott’s return to sci-fi will be worth the wait.

Prometheus stars Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron and Idris Elba, and 20th Century Fox will release the film on June 8th 2012.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:59 pm

http://entertainment.ie/cinema/news/Ridley-Scott-Talks-Prometheus-At-Comic-Con/78332.htm

Ridley Scott Talks Prometheus At Comic Con

22 July 2011

Comic Con is now firmly in full swing, with the latest must-see panel involved legendary helmer Ridley Scott, talking up his new Michael Fassbender starring movie, Prometheus.

The Hollywood Reporter was there and described what they saw: "The footage teased a star-spanning epic with massive sets, mystery, distrust and maybe (hopefully) horror. There was a shot of Charlize Theron telling someone to stay back, then obliterating the person with a flamethrower. Next came a spaceship, looking puny as it streaked past a massive planet, and an astronaut walking past a wall of alien hieroglyphics. A room full of alien pods reminiscent of Scott's landmark Alien film appeared, then several shots of Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender (with bleached blond hair) and Idris Elba." Scott spoke to the audience via a live feed from the productions Iceland set and revealed that the film would more than likely be PG-13, but that he was preparing for an R-rated flick as well to "give himself options." He also said that he was shooting in 3D spewing, "I’ll never work without it again," adding that "It opens up the universe even for the small scenes."

Comic Con still has a few more days to run with similarly epic panels.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:01 pm

http://thefilmstage.com/2011/07/22/sdcc-2011-20th-century-fox-panel-recap-prometheus-in-time-apes/

[SDCC 2011] 20th Century Fox Panel Recap: ‘Prometheus’, ‘In Time’, ‘Apes’
Published on July 22, 2011 by Joshua Blackburn

Prometheus

This afternoon at the 20th Century Fox panel, we were treated to a short reel of the new Ridley Scott-directed sci-fi film Prometheus. Along with co-writer Damon Lindelof and actress Charlize Theron, we were also given a live feed all the way to Iceland to hear what the man himself, Scott, had to say. Here is a recap of the panel along with the footage:

Footage

The look of this movie relies on the design of the first two films heavily. The influence of H.R. Giger is quite apparent. We’re given a lot of shots of vast spaceship halls filled with what looks to be alien egg pods from the original franchise, but these were different. Michael Fassbender is seen extracting the core of one of these pods, which looks green and oozy and extracting DNA and dropping it onto his finger. This somewhat verifies the rumors that the ‘creators of the universe’ were keepers of a DNA database. Then we see all hell break loose as each member of the team, Fassbender, Noomi Rapace, Theron, deal with different members of the team becoming infected and dealing with the after affects. The scale of this film looks epic, very exciting.

Panel

The panel was moderated by the funny and witty Lindelof (of Lost fame and who co-wrote this film). There was a quick one-on-one between Lindelof and Theron about shooting the movie. One topic of discussion that kept coming up was the shot of Theron doing naked push-ups in the sizzle reel. Theron described her role as ‘the suit’ that is in control of the mission, but that changes near the 3rd act. During the on screen interview with Scott, we learn that the film is shot in 3D and that he loves the format so much, he will never shoot in another format again. He feels it brings much more depth to the film, especially for dialog shots. He also confirmed that there were not one, but two robots in this film. Scott then brought Rapace on screen for a few moments and then confirmed that it was the last day of shooting the film. He also commented that of all his films, this cast and this experience has been one of the best he’s ever worked with and the process the easiest. He gave thanks to Lindelof for his great work on the script.

Update: Video of the panel below.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:13 pm

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-captured/posts/comic-con-20th-century-fox-panel

Comic-Con: Ridley Scott's 'Prometheus' premieres at Fox panel

Plus details on 'In Time' and more 'Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes' footage

By Drew McWeeny Friday, Jul 22, 2011 12:30 AM

Charlize Theron and Damon Lindelof appeared onstage together today during the 20th Century Fox panel to discuss their new film 'Prometheus'
Credit: AP Photo/Gregory Bull

SAN DIEGO - By far, the biggest of today's Hall H panels in terms of anticipation had to be the one thrown by 20th Century Fox, and they wasted no time in making sure people got what they came for when Damon Lindelof, the moderator of the panel, walked out to discuss the new movie "Prometheus."

He thanked everyone in attendance for choosing the Fox panel over the "Game Of Thrones" panel which was going on at the same time, and then teased us a bit by suggesting that he might be able to produce a real knight to talk to us.

"I was driving in my car a year ago and my phone rang and someone said, 'Ridley Scott will call you in five minutes. Are you available?' So after I crashed my car and dealt with the aftermath of that, Ridley Scott did call me, and he told me he was going to send me a script and he wanted to know what I think of it. I read that script, and at the time, the question was 'Is this an ALIEN prequel?' That was the start of a process where I got to sit across the table from him and really go to work with this guy whose work inspired me so much in the first place." That really is a dream scenario, and Lindelof's enthusiasm for whatever they ended up building together was palpable as he introduced the first footage from the film.

The clip began with images from most of Ridley Scott's earlier films, all cut together and jumbled up, a persuasive reminder of just how many things Scott has tried over the course of his career. Finally, it moved into new footage, and the first thing that struck me was just how familiar it felt. Not in a bad way, but in the sense that it absolutely feels like the world of 'Alien' brought back to life. One of the complaints I have about the "Star Wars" prequels on a design level is that it's hard to imagine that the shining, perfect worlds of the prequel films precede the beat-up dingy worlds of the original trilogy. Here, though, I can see exactly how the world of "Prometheus" might synch up to the world of "Alien" at some later point.

Using both behind-the-scenes footage and actual images from the film, the preview reel suggested that this is a film about both the origin of mankind on earth as well as our first encounter with an alien intelligence significantly different than our own. It looks scary, thrilling, and bizarre, and I can't think of anything I'd want from a new Ridley Scott science-fiction film more than that. The H.R. Giger influence is clearly felt in the sets we saw, including one that features what looked like egg tubes embedded in the floor around a statue of a giant face. We caught quick glimpses of Charlize Theron doing naked push-ups, Noomi Rapace lighting someone on fire with a flamethrower, a blonde, short-haired Michael Fassbender weeping a single milky android tear, and much more. We were shown the sets they built at Pinewood Studios, including the ones that took over the entire 007 stage, and it looks to be a massive physical build.

At the end of the footage, Charlize Theron walked out to join Lindelof onstage, and they talked about how she ended up involved in the film. "For all actors, there's that one Big One, the one you really want to work with, and for me, it was Ridley Scott. I got to know him socially, and i knew he was doing this. I was supposed to ship off to do 'Mad Max,' though, so I didn't think there's any way this would happen. Then that film got pushed, and I was in Malaysia and got this call from Ridley who said, 'Do you want to come do this?' And I was like, 'Of course, I want to come and do this.' And when I read the script the first time, it wasn't quite at its full potential, but working with you and Ridley, I think what we came up with was very exciting."

Lindelof talked about how Ridley Scott was the thing that got him involved as well, and what an opportunity that represents for him, and then added, "There is a shot of you doing naked push-ups in that footage, and I found it disgusting and pandering, and if that's supposed to get us to go see the movie, it totally worked." He then asked her to describe her character in the film, Meredith Vickers.

"She's very different from anything I've done. She's a suit. She runs the company that takes this mission into space. She's very cold and frigid at first, and it's all about the economics at first. She doesn't believe in anything, and she runs a tight ship. What I loved about working about Ridley is that we'd all layered the character, and you don't know who she really is, but Ridley did this interesting thing where he had me lurking in corners and things and it makes you really question who she is and what she's doing. And the third act really strips her of everything so you can see who she really is."

It's hard to talk about a film like this when the movie is still in production, and it's even harder when the director isn't in the room. In this case, Ridley Scott is still shooting in Iceland, and to show just how far gone he is, they used a series of maps on the big Hall H screens showing where he is.

Charlize wasn't having it, though. "I just came back on Monday. We were shooting in Hella, which is well-named. But him not being here… that's bullshit. Ridley should have been here. It's just one helicopter and seven flights away. He should be here. I wouldn't say that if he could hear me, but… wait, maybe he is here. Ladies and gentlemen, Sir Ridley Scott."

On the big screens, a satellite feed suddenly kicked in, and we were looking at Ridley Scott standing on the edge of a volcanic crater in Iceland. He smiled and said, "I feel like David Attenborough, like I'm about to introduce a wildlife program. My last day of shooting will compete our first scene of the movie."

Damon pointed out that it's been 25 years since the last SF film that he made, and asked why it's been so long since he's worked in the genre.

"I was too busy doing other movies and other genres," Ridley replied. "I never really thought about it until I realized that there was something in the first 'Alien' that no one really asked about, and it nagged at me. I realized there was something there that we could explore. None of the other movies used it, either. And so I wanted to play with the DNA of 'Alien' a bit. We've gone a very different direction with the film, but in the last few minutes of the movie, you'll see what I mean."

"I hope so."

"So do I, and so does Fox."

I didn't realize Ridley was shooting digital 3D for the film, although I double-checked and it's been announced. I guess I'm so used to thinking about him as an old school film lover that it didn't seem like something he'd be interested in. I was surprised, though, when he and Damon talked about the process and about building almost everything practically in this age of digital wonders.

"3D has been a wonderful exercise. I started as a cameraman, so I quickly realized that it's really about lensing and picking the right lenses to make the 3D work. I've had help from Darius (Khondji) and his crew. Now that I've done it, I'll never work without 3D again, even for small dialogue scenes. It opens up the whole universe. Doug Trumball once said to me, 'if you can do it live, do it live.' That was 28 years ago, and even though we've got marvelous digital capabilities, I'd still say do it live."

Damon asked him, "Are you a replicant, and if not, why did you leave origami s$#! on my chair all the time?"

Ridley rejoined, "I thought you were a robot, actually."

As everyone laughed, Damon continued, "Speaking of which, there is a rumor that there is a robot in this movie."

Ridley considered his answer for a moment, then smiled. "There may be two. The thing is, robots and androids and replicants have become so much a part of the landscape that they're not unique, so the challenge is coming up with unique notions that make something fresh. I've had a better time with this movie than I have in many years, and I want you to do the next one. That 's why I'm buttering you up, you creep. The cast I worked with on this has been as good a time as I remember."

When asked about the cast, Ridley gestured for the cameraman on his end to pull back to a wide shot, revealing "Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" star Noomi Rapace standing a few feet away from him. "I saw a film about ten months ago and then saw it again and then saw it again. And honestly, I think 'Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' is… it's very special. I kept thinking who is this Noomi Rapace? And there's Charlize, and Michael Fassbender, and someone I was thrilled to work with, Guy Pearce."

Speaking to Rapace, Lindelof said, "This has been a physically demanding role for you."

Rapace's English seems to be flawless, and she jumped in to answer. "Well, I just came back from space two days ago. It feels weird to come back to Earth again. We were up there for many many days. Long days and hard days, physically and emotionally. It's been the best journey ever, thanks to this man. My respect for him has been growing every day, and I've been coming home late, but smiling. When we started getting into this, I forgot everything else, and it felt like discovering something. I'm bruised. I look like s$#! today. I have cuts and scars and bruises."

Finally, Damon asked a question that seems fitting since the original 'Alien' was an unapologetic R, a movie for adults. "If I were in this audience, I would ask you, is the PG-13 going to inhibit you from telling the story you want to tell?"

"No, not at all. I have a responsibility to my studio and Mr. Rothman, but I always make sure we have every option, and we'll look at both versions together to decide what we can do." In other words, no decision has been made yet, and Ridley's covered his ass by shooting a harder and softer option for any scene where it might be an issue.

With that, they wrapped up "Prometheus," and that group left the stage.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:13 pm

http://www.moviehole.net/201143296-comic-con-2011-prometheus

Comic Con 2011 : Prometheus
2Share
by Moviehole Staff (Friday, July 22nd, 2011 at 2:40 am)

Fox ushered out the cast and [some of; Ridley was on location in Iceland but was patched in via video-call] crew of the film they’re scared to market as an Alien prequel “Prometheus” to a crowd of very excited fanboys today. The film, a science-fictioner that shares “DNA” with the original “Alien” (1979), stars Michael Fassbender, Noomi Rapace and Charlize Theron and, judging by the footage shown, looks like it’ll be quite a treat (A Naked Charlize doing Push-ups? Yes, ‘nuf said!).

The Panel

Here’s a quick summary of some of the things learnt at the Panel :

Charlize Theron is playing a suit named Vickers… who likes to do push-ups naked.
Vickers, says the actress, is a “machine in charge of the machine”. And no, we have no idea what she’s talking about either
Scott said that Fassbender is playing a robot.. but there might also be another robot.
Scott said that the film is connected to “Alien” in the last few minutes of the movie we will learn exactly how
The film will hit theatres in PG-13 but will likely have an R/Unrated cut for Blu-ray and DVD

And here are some direct quotes, transcribed by our friends at The Playlist :

”…she is really the suit, she’s the one that runs the company,” Theron said about her role in the film and how it was developed. “Ridley always kind of grounds it and brings it back to reality. I watch the Trump family for instance and I don’t really know much about it but I know Ivana is running that ship. I don’t ever set out to play a character with strength. I kind of find the circumstance. It was once we found the world and what we wanted to explore with her that we kind of found [the character].”

As it turns out, Theron has to thank the delays on another high profile tentpole film for even giving her the opportunity to work on “Prometheus.”

“When ‘Mad Max’ pushed, Ridley reached out to me and it was like, read it in 30 minutes or its going to explode. You can ask any actor, there’s always that one director that’s a dream and Ridley was that for me. This character is so different from everybody else that’s on this mission, somebody who comes from a cold, economic suit business. We explored how to make her more layered and that’s when I really got excited. There’s something incredible when you see that potential and really want it to work out. You’re just throwing these crazy ideas at someone you admire and a week later I get this draft and I’m like, Wow. It was really flattering and exciting.” - Charlize Theron

It was most definitely an ‘Alien’ prequel and Ridley really wanted to push it into original territory. We worked together for a few months until he was satisfied that it was its own movie. Ridley and I were sitting right across from each other talking about each scene. He would write something on a napkin and pass it over to me and I’d be thinking, ‘I’m keeping this napkin forever.’ You’re going to see some things in the late fall that are going to start proclaiming what ‘Prometheus’ is. We sort of joke about it, but it’s a pretentious title possibly. We’re aware of that – Damon Lindelof

”…she is really the suit, she’s the one that runs the company..Ridley always kind of grounds it and brings it back to reality. I watch the Trump family for instance and I don’t really know much about it but I know Ivana is running that ship. I don’t ever set out to play a character with strength. I kind of find the circumstance. It was once we found the world and what we wanted to explore with her that we kind of found [the character].” – Charlize Theron

”There were massive screens. You walk in and they hand you glasses. You’re like, ‘Oh my God, they actually designed this movie for 3D. Any movie in 3D has to justify, ‘Why is this in 3D.’ The 3D helps bring you into that immersive environment. One of the most visionary directors in the world has really used this movie and I think it’s going to be very special” – Damon Lindelof

The Footage
Firstly, here’s the verdict on the footage that was screened – and a description of it – courtesy of some our colleagues :

There is quite a lot in the footage shown that looked very specifically Alien: a giant open space that looks like it is missing only a huge fossilized Space Jockey; other massive spaces with curved striated walls and floors covered with ordered rows of what look very much like xenomorph eggs. The tone of Alien was there, too — the environments we see aren’t quite as blue-collar and run down, but the feeling of dread and atmosphere is there in spades. Oh, and when the title screen came up at the end, letters in Prometheus formed in much the same way the title for Alien forms in that film.

The footage we see of Michael Fassbender seems to support the rumor that he plays a Bishop-like android. He’s got a slightly stylized look that isn’t quite human. (Ridley Scott said there might be two androids in the film.) Other elements of the design depart slightly from the core Alien template, but don’t feel out of place. Keeping with the sense that this isn’t taking place on the same sort of working-class ship seen in that film, the space suits are a little nicer and more pretty, the environments are more clean and gleaming. Some of the shots bear a rather stylized look that is somewhere between the clean, symmetrical aesthetic of Stanley Kubrick’s 2001 and a slightly different ‘clean space’ vision that is a little bit Blade Runner and a little bit Mass Effect. (/Film)

…the footage confirmed completely that this is an Alien film. The production design was familiar and, not to put too fine a point on it, there were glimpses of bits and pieces of the alien biology we recognise. Something like a full size humanoid alien was seen in the burn of a flamethrower, tail and all, and if you were looking in the right place, you could see something like the alien eggs.

Michael Fassbender’s character does look like the Android characters from the previous alien films but in one shot, we see him cry; in another, he appears to prick his finger and draw blood.

Scott is currently on screen via link-up to Iceland and has confirmed that “there may be two” robots in the cast of Prometheus.

As Lindelof has noted on stage, there is a shot in the clip that appears to show a naked Charlize Theron doing press-ups. There’s also another of Noomi Rapace dropping to the floor in a smilier pose – but she’s allowed the dignity of wearing something a bit like Leeloo’s bandage outfit from The Fifth Element.

Darius Khondji’s cinematography is absolutely stunning. We have just watched it in 2D, but Scott has described his commitment to getting the 3D correct. He’s said that he’ll never shoot in 2D again, not even for “small dialogue scenes.”

There are several shots in the footage which appear to show characters meeting sticky ends, including some of the big name stars, but I wouldn’t want to spoil that. These are painful images, though, and I can’t see that Scott is flinching under his commitment to a PG-13 rating. (Bleeding Cool)

And finally,

The First Official Image – click to view!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:14 pm

http://www.firstshowing.net/2011/comic-con-video-blog-first-footage-from-prometheus-is-impressive/

Comic-Con Video Blog: First Footage from 'Prometheus' is Impressive

July 21, 2011
by Alex Billington
Prometheus Video Blog

In Hall H, Everyone Can Hear You Scream! Just a few hours ago, we were lucky enough to be in Hall H at Comic-Con 2011 for the very first premiere of any footage from Ridley Scott's new sci-fi Prometheus, which he is still currently shooting. It was an exciting reveal as everyone has been holding their breath to see if this is really going to be as great as his classics like Alien and Blade Runner, and our first impression from this glimpse is that he definitely has. I recorded a quick video blog with Golden Briefcase's Tim Buel right after the panel discussing our reactions to the footage they showed. Suffice it to say, we're both very excited.

Ridley Scott's Prometheus stars a cast including Michael Fassbender as an android, Noomi Rapace, Charlize Theron, Idris Elba, Guy Pearce and Ben Foster. The screenplay was originally written by Jon Spaihts, then revised by Lost's Damon Lindelof. We covered the complete 20th Century Fox panel live earlier in the day, and watched Ridley Scott answer questions with Noomi Rapace via live satellite feed from Iceland. The footage definitely has an Alien meets Mass Effect vibe, mixing old and new yet still feeling like Ridley's classic sci-fi (but with huge sets) and I've now got a good feeling this movie will indeed be fantastic.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:16 pm

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/comic-con-2011-ridley-scott-214089

'Prometheus' Is Related to 'Alien'
The director, who remains vague on details about the movie, also reveals why he'll "never work without" 3D again after this film, which stars Charlize Theron, Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender and Idris Elba and was written by Damon Lindelof.
July

10:00 PM 7/21/2011 by Borys Kit

20th Century Fox delivered the goods Thursday, giving a packed Hall H a first glimpse at Prometheus, director Ridley Scott’s return to the science-fiction genre. The Prometheus look began with a production video the combined Scott talking about the project and, more tantalizingly, quick shots from the movie, still nearly a year away from release.

THR's COMPLETE COVERAGE: Comic-Con 2011

The footage teased a star-spanning epic with massive sets, mystery, distrust and maybe (hopefully) horror. There was a shot of Charlize Theron telling someone to stay back, then obliterating the person with a flamethrower. Next came a spaceship, looking puny as it streaked past a massive planet, and an astronaut walking past a wall of alien hieroglyphics. A room full of alien pods reminiscent of Scott's landmark Alien film appeared, then several shots of Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender (with bleached blond hair) and Idris Elba.

Scott spoke to the audience via a live feed from the movie's Iceland set, perhaps a Comic-Con first, and was able to explain that the reason he took so long to return to sci-fi was that he was simply busy exploring other genres.

STORY: Ridley Scott, Michael Fassbender, Noomi Rapace Tease 'Prometheus' at CineEurope

What bought him back was a desire to answer a mysterious question that he was surprised no one had ever asked about the Alien movies.

“That [question] could be the centerpiece of what we just completed. That said, that is the only DNA from the first Alien,” Scott said. Huh? So is Prometheus a prequel to Alien or not?

“You’ll hopefully understand what I mean in the last few minutes of the movie,” Scott said.

PHOTOS: Behind the Scenes: TV's 6 Most Wanted Women Comic-Con Roundtable

“So do I,” quipped Fox panel moderator (and the movie’s writer) Damon Lindelof.

“So does Fox,” snorted Scott.

Scott also discussed the massive sets, why he limited his use of CG and his first foray into 3D.

“I’ll never work without it again,” he said, referring to the 3D format. “It opens up the universe even for the small scenes."

STORY: Comic-Con: TV's 6 Most Wanted Women

When Lindelof asked if the movie was going to have an android (the Alien series featured synthetic humans), Scott revealed there “may be two” and hinted at something more.

“Robots and androids and replicants have become so much of the landscape, so you have to come up with something that hasn’t been seen before," he said. "You have to find a notion that makes something fresh.”

Rapace (Girl With the Dragon Tattoo) also joined Scott from the Iceland set, while Theron appeared on stage. Theron described her character as “a suit."

VIDEO: Jon Favreau Directs THR's 6 Most Wanted Women Shoot

“In the third act, you see her strip her from her skin and you see what her bones are like and what she’s doing there,” she said.

Fox has said the movie would be rated PG-13, typical for most summer action blockbusters. But Scott said that could change to an R rating.

“I’ve got a responsibility to my studio and [studio co-chief] Tom Rothman, but I always make sure I have both options,” he said. “We will both look at it and decide which is the best way to go.”

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:16 pm

http://www.slashfilm.com/prometheus-footage-description-ridley-scott-crossbreeds-alien-kubrick-mass-effect/

‘Prometheus’ Footage Description: Ridley Scott Cross-Breeds ‘Alien,’ Kubrick and ‘Mass Effect’

Posted on Thursday, July 21st, 2011 by Russ Fischer

One of the most anticipated panels at this year’s San Diego Comic Con was Fox’s presentation of footage and talent from Ridley Scott‘s Prometheus. The film has been the subject of a great deal of speculation over the past year. It began as a hard and fast prequel to Alien, then Damon Lindelof was brought on to rewrite the original script by Jon Spaihts, leading to the film being described as an entirely new science fiction film in which the original DNA of Alien would be recognizable.

We have seen a detailed plot description which seems to spoil a great many details of the first two acts of the film, and today we just saw the first image from the film. During the panel Damon Lindelof welcomed Charlize Theron on stage, and spoke to Ridley Scott and Noomi Rapace via satellite video chat. (They’re on location in Iceland right now shooting the opening of the film.)

I realize that what everyone wants to know is how the footage looked. In short, I loved it. Alien is real touchstone film for me, and while Ridley Scott says that the DNA of Alien is in Prometheus and everything else will be different, that’s not what the footage says. The footage very clearly comes both from the man who made Alien and takes place very much in the same world and is connected to that tale. What exactly was shown? How about Michael Fassbender crying, Charlize Theron seemingly doing naked pushups (something Damon Lindelof referenced on stage a few times), a shot of a giant head, some very beautiful images of space-suited characters in various states of distress, and a lot more. Read more after the break.

What we saw wasn’t a trailer, but more like a behind the scenes featurette. Ridley Scott is seen on the massive 007 stage at Pinewood studios, with some of the very Alien-like production design in the background. (Think of the look of the interior of the derelict spaceship in which the characters in Alien first find the xenomoprh eggs and you’ll get the idea.)

There is quite a lot in the footage shown that looked very specifically Alien: a giant open space that looks like it is missing only a huge fossilized Space Jockey; other massive spaces with curved striated walls and floors covered with ordered rows of what look very much like xenomorph eggs. The tone of Alien was there, too — the environments we see aren’t quite as blue-collar and run down, but the feeling of dread and atmosphere is there in spades. Oh, and when the title screen came up at the end, letters in Prometheus formed in much the same way the title for Alien forms in that film.

The footage we see of Michael Fassbender seems to support the rumor that he plays a Bishop-like android. He’s got a slightly stylized look that isn’t quite human. (Ridley Scott said there might be two androids in the film.) Other elements of the design depart slightly from the core Alien template, but don’t feel out of place. Keeping with the sense that this isn’t taking place on the same sort of working-class ship seen in that film, the space suits are a little nicer and more pretty, the environments are more clean and gleaming. Some of the shots bear a rather stylized look that is somewhere between the clean, symmetrical aesthetic of Stanley Kubrick’s 2001 and a slightly different ‘clean space’ vision that is a little bit Blade Runner and a little bit Mass Effect.

It was all very tantalizing and very much made me want to see more. With luck this reel will end up online at some point because after just the one viewing, which contained a lot of quick shots that were difficult to parse (including the shot that showed up as a still earlier today), I think I’ve missed a lot of detail. But the bottom line is: I’m very ready for more, rather than turned off by this Ridley Scott return to sci-fi.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:34 pm

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/ridley-scotts-prometheus/

First Look At Ridley Scott’s Prometheus

Written by: Will Chadwick

One of the big movies on display at Comic Con this year is the hotly anticipated Prometheus, the Alien prequel (or is it?) from director Ridley Scott and Lost writer Damon Lindelof. Today we bring you a first look and some little bits of information on the film, provided by the panel at Comic Con.

Firstly, the image isn’t really all that special, but it does show that Scott is going back into the same deep space territory as the Alien franchise went, reports of the glimpse of footage are however more exciting.

Via Twitter, Empire Magazine said it saw a blonde Michael Fassbender, a naked Charlize Theron doing press ups and a creature getting burnt by a flamethrower, which to me sounds like classic Alien territory. They offered a short synopsis, which gives little away:

Visionary filmmaker Ridley Scott returns to the genre he helped define, creating an original science fiction epic set in the most dangerous corners of the universe. The film takes a team of scientists and explorers on a thrilling journey that will test their physical and mental limits and strand them on a distant world, where they will discover the answers to our most profound questions and to life’s ultimate mystery.

The panel however had some interesting things to say about bridging the gaps between Prometheus and Alien, as well as giving insight into the mysterious project. Charlize Theron has said that her character leads the company (which we can presume is Weyland-Yutani) and who she studied for the role:

…she is really the suit, she’s the one that runs the company. Ridley always kind of grounds it and brings it back to reality. I watch the Trump family for instance and I don’t really know much about it but I know Ivana is running that ship. I don’t ever set out to play a character with strength. I kind of find the circumstance. It was once we found the world and what we wanted to explore with her that we kind of found [the character]… This character is so different from everybody else that’s on this mission, somebody who comes from a cold, economic suit business.

That information more or less connects it directly to the core of the previous franchise. Writer Damon Lindelof also talked more about the genetic connection to the Alien series saying:

It was most definitely an Alien prequel and Ridley really wanted to push it into original territory. We worked together for a few months until he was satisfied that it was its own movie… You’re going to see some things in the late fall that are going to start proclaiming what Prometheus is.

So it looks like it will be linked in but the film is entirely its own beast. And the way they were hyping the film up sounds like it will be something pretty spectacular. Prometheus could very well be a nice comeback Scott who has been a tad limp as of late, although American Gangster was HIGHLY under-valued. The film will hit on June 8th, 2012.

Source: /Film, The Playlist

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:36 pm

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/07/prometheus_comic_con.html

What is Prometheus? Ridley Scott Unveils Footage at Comic-Con

7/21/11 at 7:15 PM

Until today, little was known about Ridley Scott's next film Prometheus, and even the main detail was one that Scott has intentionally muddled: It's a prequel to Alien ... but not really. Today at Comic-Con, though, Scott, screenwriter Damon Lindelof, and stars Charlize Theron and Noomi Rapace lifted the lid on Scott's sci-fi thriller and showed off the first footage ever.

Less a teaser trailer than a behind-the-scenes look with stray shots from the movie, the Prometheus clip showed actors like Theron, Michael Fassbender, and Idris Elba navigating huge alien caves in their retro-cool spacesuits topped off with giant bubble heads. With little plot to be sussed out from the footage -- the crew finds some elongated vase-eggs that look less like the ones from Alien and more like something that just came off a potter's wheel -- the look of the film was what impressed us most. Black and white with pops of clean, bold color, Scott breaks up the white of Fassbender's spacesuit by placing an orange basketball in his hands, and cuts through the dark interior of the spaceship with the fluorescence of a yellow-visored helmet or a blue flashlight beam.

And though word on the street is that Fassbender plays an android in Prometheus, the footage showed him crying one single, clear tear, not the milky-white substance you'd normally find secreted by the androids of the Alien world. When pressed by Lindelof to reveal whether there was indeed a robot in the movie, Scott (who appeared via satellite as he finishes up the movie in Iceland) said coyly, "There may be two."

And those departures from the Alien canon are what most intrigued Scott. "There is the DNA of the original Alien. That's as far as it goes," the director said. "Everything else is completely different." Well, not everything. Scott says that there's a big question from the first two Alien films that finally gets answered in this one, teasing, "In the last few minutes of the movie, you'll understand what I'm talking about."

"I certainly hope so," added Lindelof.

"So do I. So does Fox," Scott said.

And there's another tradition kept: As in the first Alien, the female empowerment is leavened by a little interstellar cheesecake. Referring to a brief bit from the clip where Theron's character, Meredith Vickers, is glimpsed doing push-ups while wearing virtually nothing, Lindelof joked, "I just want to say that I find it disgusting and exploitative, and it's pandering to this crowd."

Theron leaned in with relish: "I know how to sell a movie."

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:37 pm

http://collider.com/prometheus-comic-con/104058/

Comic-Con 2011: PROMETHEUS Panel Recap
by Adam Chitwood Posted:July 21st, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Fox brought the goods today in their Hall H panel, with Ridley Scott’s return to the sci-fi genre Prometheus front and center. The film, which may or may not be a prequel to Scott’s Alien, stars Noomi Rapace, Charlize Theron, Michael Fassbender, and Guy Pearce. Hit the jump for my recap from the panel.

Moderator Damon Lindelof begins by telling the story of how Ridley Scott contacted him to write the script for Prometheus. He recounts how he sat down with Scott and Co. after reading the existing script for the Alien prequel and telling them what he would do differently.

The footage kicked off with a sizzle reel of Ridley Scott’s past films, followed by a featurette-style trailer for Prometheus. We saw the gigantic sets that Scott and Co. are shooting on, followed by a great deal of footage from the film. We see Charlize Theron in captain-style getup, Michael Fassbender as an android (he looks fantastic by the way), Noomi Rapace looks to be a crewmember but she’s apparently the lead role in the film.

Scott narrates the footage which shows the crew traveling to a distant planet and encountering some biological specimens that look like rudimentary versions of the things we’ve seen in the Alien films. Basically, this looks to be a completely original story set in the universe of Alien. Scott ended the footage by saying “Basically, I just want to scare the s$#! out of you.” Judging by the footage, he’s doing a damn fine job. The cast looks great, and the film looks to be old-school horror just like Alien instead of a bang ‘em up action film.

Theron came out to speak with Lindelof and she tells him that she’s “a suit” essentially, and she runs the machine that sends this ship into space. She says she’s not a scientist or a believer, but it seems like she’s in it for the economics, she’s a bit of an enigma and comes across as mysterious. We saw footage of her doing push-ups in clothing that looked like it came from The Fifth Element. She hints at something revelatory about her character in the third act.

Scott isn’t present at the panel, as he’s currently in Iceland still filming. Lindelof shows us some “high-tech s$#!” in the form of Google Maps explaining where Iceland is in relation to San Diego. Theron says it’s “bullshit” that he’s not here, then the Oscar-winning director appears live on the screen from Iceland. He’s standing in front of a waterfall and says his last day of shooting completes the beginning sequence of the film, which wil take place at this waterfall location.

Lindelof asks Scott why it took him so long to come back to the sci-fi genre. Scott says he was too busy doing other movies and he didn’t think about returning until he realized that there’s something in the first Alien that no one has ever asked or answered (he’s talking about the Space Jockey, presumably), and that will be the “DNA” that Prometheus shares with Alien.

Talk about shooting in 3D. Scott explains that they’re shooting in 3D and using minimal digital effects. He says he was brought up as a camera operator and with the help of his technical team he’s gotten the hang of it. Scott says after this experience he will never work without 3D again, even for small dialogue scenes.

Effects-wise, Scott recounts an effects coordinator telling him 28 years ago “if you can do it live, do it live.” He says it’s cheaper and it looks better.

Lindelof asks Scott if he is a replicant, and if not why does he keep leaving origami s$#! on his chair. Scott replies that he thought he was a robot. Lindelof asks Scott if there are robots in Prometheus, to which Scott replies “There may be two.”

Scott says he’s honestly had a better time with this film than he has in many years. Says he felt extremely comfortable with Lindelof’s script, saying the only reason he’s buttering Lindelof up is so Lindelof will pen the sequel.

Scott talks about the cast. Says he saw The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and thought it was one of the more interesting films he’s seen in the last 3 or 4 years, and thought to himself he had to get Noomi Rapace. The camera then pans and reveals Rapace standing next to Scott.

Lindelof asks Rapace about the physical demands of the role. She says it’s been many long and hard days, both physically and emotionally.

Scott talks about the PG-13 rating and says it hasn’t inhibited him in making the film. He says he always makes sure that he has both options (R and PG-13) so that he and the studio can look at it at the end of the day and make a final decision.

Overall, the footage looked great. Super happy to see that Scott is going for more horror/drama than action, not to mention the fantastic cast.

Click here for all our Comic-Con 2011 coverage.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top