Top News
WE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT MICHAEL-AN AWARD WINNING ACTOR

Congratulations to the cast and crew of "12 Years a Slave" winning an Oscar for Best Picture

Michael is currently filming "MacBeth"

Watch "12 Years A Slave" and "Frank" in theaters

Watch "The Counselor" and "12 Years A Slave" on DVD available now

Michael is set to star and produce on a film version of the video game "Assassin's Creed"

Completed projects: X-Men, Untitled Malik project

Upcoming projects Assassin's Creed, Prometheus 2, MacBeth,and more!

Header credit here

MFmultiply's Disclaimer

Order region 1 dvds-Amazon store

Order region 2-UK dvds-Amazon Shoppe

Please check the calender for films on TV, Theater, or dvd releases
April 2019
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

BBC Jane Eyre?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

BBC Jane Eyre? - Page 2 Empty Re: BBC Jane Eyre?

Post by Admin on Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:44 am

I just had a weird dream about 19th century night gowns...and yes it did involve Michael.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:57 pm

http://www.talkingfilms.net/mia-wasikowska-from-alice-in-wonderland-lands-on-jane-eyre

Mia Wasikowska from Alice In Wonderland lands on Jane Eyre

Posted on 24. Nov, 2009 by John in Featured, Movie News

Last couple of weeks we have been hearing whispers on the new Jane Eyre adaptation. I’m fine with older adaptations of the famed book. But now Cary Fukunaga who received considerable buzz on his last film Sin Nombre. He plans to take on the latest adaptation of the Charlotte Bronte book.

The film has finally zeroed on a cast by the likes of Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender. This will be an interesting upgrade to the age old book. The new adaptation will indulge into several of the gothic elements of the book.

Wasikowska is surely going to turn loads of heads after her turn as Alice in Tim Burton film. She will also be playing a lead role in the upcoming Gus Van Sant film. There is really no need to talk about Michael Fassbender after his seminal performance as Bobby Sands in Hunger. We will keep you posted on the latest developments.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilar on Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:22 pm

greyeyegoddess wrote:I just had a weird dream about 19th century night gowns...and yes it did involve Michael.

LOL! No shet? You lucky girl!! I can't even dream about G! Whatsa matter with me? LOL!
Pilar
Pilar
Azazeal's Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:57 pm

LOL...

I've never had one about Gerry, so don't worry m'dear.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:46 pm

There seems to be more confirmation. And being that I haven't watched any of the Twilight movies or read any of the books, there's this whole other big thing about how Twilight has moved people to read Bronte's books.

http://bookpage.wordpress.com/2009/12/03/from-bella-to-bronte/

The Guardian reported yesterday that “piggybacking off the success of the Twilight saga,” there will soon be two new film adaptations of Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre.

Wuthering Heights producer Robert Bernstein explained the connection between vampires in Washington and two of the most famous Victorian (tragic) love stories of all time. “[The Twilight factor is] clearly in the zeitgeist. Why is anybody’s guess, but people are absolutely obsessed with this doomed, romantic love that can only be achieved beyond death, or in the case of Twilight, by becoming a vampire.”

Also, it doesn’t hurt that Wuthering Heights is one of Bella Swan’s favorite books. (Bella on her fascination with Heathcliff and Catherine: “I think it’s something about the inevitability. How nothing can keep them apart — not her selfishness, or his evil, or even death, in the end…”)

If you’re hoping for a tortured stud to play Heathcliff, well… hope you like (Gossip Girl’s) Chuck Bass. The 22-year-old Ed Westwick will star opposite Gemma Arterton’s Cathy. (Lawrence Olivier was 50 when he took on this role.) Irish heartthrob Michael Fassbender will play Mr. Rochester. Mia Wasikowska (age 20) has been cast as Jane. Both movies will start shooting in spring 2010.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:49 pm

Someone on Twitter, who works for the online site InContention, interviewed Michael yesterday, so we're hoping to hear something about this project from Michael himself.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/dec/02/twilight-new-bronte-films

The Brontës are back in fashion – with a bit of help from Bella Swan. New films of Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre will shoot next spring, and a script about the teenage fantasies of the four Brontë siblings is in the works.

The film-makers are piggybacking off the success of the Twilight saga, which has sparked a renewed enthusiasm among financiers for gothic romance; the Brontës in particular. Wuthering Heights is one of Twilight heroine Bella Swan's favourite books, frequently referenced in the third episode Eclipse, whose storyline is inspired by Emily Brontë's only novel.

The producers of the latest Brontë projects are targeting the Twilight audience with younger casts than previous versions and scripts that emphasise the sensational gothic elements alongside a contemporary psychological realism.

Wuthering Heights, directed by Peter Webber, will star 22-year-old Ed Westwick, a British actor best known from the American teen TV series Gossip Girl, as an unusually youthful Heathcliff. Gemma Arterton, 23, will play Cathy.

Jane Eyre, meanwhile, will be directed by Cary Fukunaga who, in the pursuit of authenticity on his last film Sin Nombre, got arrested for riding illegally on the roof of a cargo train. Jane Eyre stars the 20-year-old Mia Wasikowska, soon to be seen in Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, opposite Michael Fassbender as Mr Rochester (who was at one point lined up for Heathcliff in the other film).

Dominic Murphy, the British director who made his debut this year's with the harrowing White Lightnin', is writing an untitled project about the imaginative worlds invented by the Brontës as adolescents, isolated in their Haworth parsonage.

"There is a whole younger audience out there that is ripe to enjoy these darker versions of what is generally served up, and the response from funders has been very upbeat, especially in the light of the recent success of Twilight," says Murphy's producer Mike Downey.

"The Twilight factor is extremely helpful to Wuthering Heights," agrees producer Robert Bernstein. "It's clearly in the zeitgeist. Why is anybody's guess, but people are absolutely obsessed with this doomed, romantic love that can only be achieved beyond death, or in the case of Twilight, by becoming a vampire."

In Eclipse, Bella quotes Cathy on Heathcliff to describe her feelings for her vampire lover Edward: "If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger." It is this forbidden, obsessive romance between Heathcliff and Cathy that Webber's film will focus on.

Sales of Wuthering Heights shot up in France when it was marketed alongside Eclipse in bookshops. In the UK, Harper Collins republished it with a cover imitating the Twilight design, including an endorsement from "Bella & Edward". Head of sales Kate Manning says the gimmick has given teenage girls "a renewed interest in Brontë".

Jane Eyre doesn't enjoy the same direct Twilight connection, but Moira Buffini's script brings out the book's gothic thrills. "This isn't going to be Zeffirelli lite," says producer Paul Trijbits, referring to the insipid 1996 version of Charlotte Brontë's novel. "It's fear in a gothic environment set against the backdrop of a love story. Is there something in the attic, or isn't there? It's a bit like The Others."

Wuthering Heights will shoot next May in Scotland and Ireland – leaving the Yorkshire moors to take advantage of finance. Jane Eyre is scheduled for March, either in Yorkshire or Scotland. Murphy's untitled Brontë project is intended to shoot in 2011.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:57 pm

http://youngromantic.wordpress.com/2009/12/08/reinventing-jane/

December 8, 2009...6:40 pm
Reinventing Jane

Toby Stephens and Ruth Wilson in BBC's adaptation of Jane Eyre

After reading this article, about how new adaptations of Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre are being made to appeal to Twihards, I have just two questions:

1. Can’t everyone just leave the Brontë sisters alone?
2. Must this Twilight insanity phenomenon influence every aspect of culture, leaving nothing sucked dry (see what I did there?)?

Apparently, Emily’s gothic tale of dangerous, obsessive love has been experiencing an increase in sales due to its mention in the Twilight series and a revamped cover with a sticker that reads: Bella & Edward’s favourite book! Don’t get me wrong — I’m glad kids are reading (even if they are reading low culture), and that it’s making them turn to the Brontë sisters. My issue is with how they’re getting there — from a vampire’s recommendation. I suppose my problem is that I suffer from true Old Lady Syndrome, which is why I haven’t touched the Twilight series, the Harry Potter series, and snobbishly disdain anything with that kind of collective hysteria. Pop culture phenomena always makes me bristle and embrace the eclectic, the bizarre, the underrated. When those things become unearthed and re-marketed for mass consumption, I feel as though I’ve been betrayed.

I forget how I came to read Jane Eyre, but I was probably in grade 8. As a somewhat pretentious adolescent, I was hungry for a good old-fashioned classic after the joys of reading Pride and Prejudice. I remember the precise scene where I decided I had found my new favourite book: when Mr. Rochester dresses up as an old gypsy come to read the fortunes of his high society house guests, and Jane’s, and then his identity is revealed. I remember my heart actually thumping loudly in excitement and fantasizing about Mr. Rochester, even more than I fantasized about the stuffy Mr. Darcy and his wet shirt clinging to his body (our teacher showed us BBC’s Pride and Prejudice as a graduation treat!)

I have read Jane Eyre countless times since then and it is by far my most favourite book in the entire world. Each time I read it, something new strikes me, a new dimension is added. The last time I read it, in third-year Victorian Lit. class, I was shocked by the pre-feminist implications of the novel’s conclusion and the fact that Jane only returns to Rochester when he is blind and physically handicapped. Rereading it now, I’m finding all sorts of comments on the class system and Jane’s peculiar position outside the margins of society.

So strong is my loyalty to the story that I’m automatically nervous whenever a new adaptation is made to a novel I treasure. Since I’m not a big fan of Wuthering Heights in the first place, I’m not overly concerned that the role of Heathcliff is being played by Ed Westwick of Gossip Girl fame in the newest adaptation. The 1992 version, starring Juliette Binoche and Ralph Fiennes, was pretty terrible and didn’t make me like the book any more.

However, since she is Charlotte’s sister, I cannot help but feel protective over Emily’s work and its latest bastardization to cater to Twihards and their disposable incomes.

Ladies, drool over your new Heathcliff!

The best adaptation of Jane Eyre I’ve ever seen is the BBC’s, starring an appropriately plain Ruth Wilson as Jane and an unconventionally sexy Toby Stephens as Rochester. If anyone has the rights to classic British literature, it’s the British, and they usually get it right, as is evident in their long, yet mostly accurate, adaptation of Pride and Prejudice. The new Jane Eyre will star very pretty, very young (and very un-Jane Eyre-like) Mia Wasikowska and a ridiculously handsome Michael Fassbender whom I haven’t seen in anything else.

Will he live up to Toby Stephens' Rochester?

Too pretty to be plain Jane Eyre?

Needless to say, I’m very nervous about this adaptation, as I am with the untitled Dominic Murphy film project about the “imaginative worlds invented by the Brontës as adolescents.” According to Murphy’s producer Mike Downey:

“There is a whole younger audience out there that is ripe to enjoy these darker versions of what is generally served up, and the response from funders has been very upbeat, especially in the light of the recent success of Twilight”

I’m throwing up my hands, Stephenie Meyer. If your terribly written, yet extremely successful series is going to lead sheep teens to my beloved classics, so be it. If anything, it will give them their first taste of literature so good that it has stood the test of time.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilar on Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:49 pm

This may be straying off the subject a bit but I have no desire to read or view this "Twilight" nonsense, either. Judging strictly from the commercials, it looks God awful. I'm also in the minority that thought the Ralph Fiennes version of Heathcliff was terrible. Didn't buy it AT ALL.

I think Michael will do just fine as Mister Rochester. He's got the chops to portray a historical literary character.
Pilar
Pilar
Azazeal's Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:51 pm

Eh, it's not really off topic. I don't care for Twilight because I don't like hype. I never read it, but all the bad things that is said about the movie and the books don't bother me. I don't care. I just don't like big hyped movies, of course unless it's deserving, like Michael's or G's or someone else.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:17 pm

http://thesqueee.blogspot.com/2009/12/news-of-upcoming-jane-eyre-adaptation.html

Wednesday, 9 December 2009
News of upcoming Jane Eyre adaptation
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!

I knew they were making a new Jane Eyre adaptation, and it's been known for some time that Ellen Page (Juno) had been cast as Jane. No word on Rochester. Also, there was no info on IMDb, unless you had a pro account, as it was in pre-production. Apparently, there are developments!

Ellen Page is gone. Replacing her is Mia Wasikowska, an Aussie who is starring in Tim Burton's upcoming Alice in Wonderland. She's not very little, though, considering she's 168 cm (5' 6"), so there I think Page would've fit the "little" category better. Plain - not really, but makeup will sort that out.

Is this Jane?

BBC Jane Eyre? - Page 2 Mia_wa10

Director is Cary Fukunaga, screenplay by Moira Buffini - none have done a lot before, and what they have done, I haven't heard of. I just hope they'll do a good job.

The thing that made me go "OMG" repeatedly is that Rochester has been cast. Sadly, it's not Richard Armitage. I say sadly, although I'm pretty gutted it's not him... but I didn't really expect it to be him anyway, so am I really that disappointed? He would've made a fantastically brooding Rochester, I'm certain, and he would have us all swoon. But no, it's Michael Fassbender (Inglorious Basterds). Huh. He's 32, Mia's 20. At least she looks quite young... problem is, so does he. It's 12 years between them, they're still lacking 8.

Is this Rochester?

BBC Jane Eyre? - Page 2 Q1010

This?

BBC Jane Eyre? - Page 2 Azazea10

The whole "he's too ginger to be Rochester" doesn't really work, considering Toby Stephens. A bit of dye and hair extensions and he didn't play Rochester, he was Rochester. I for one will be comparing anyone to the standard he set, so my expectations on Herr Fassbender are pretty huge, and they're not exactly small when it comes to Jane either. We'll have to wait and see, I suppose. Oh, sorry, both actors are "in negotiations" to become the leads. So it's not been finalised yet?

Now, other questions arise: a) Where's Thornfield? I do hope they go for Haddon Hall again, squee! b) If they are, or somewhere else in the vicinity of said building, it's not too far from here, so what can I do to become an extra? I don't care what it is, just, in the words of Cathy Earnshaw, LET ME IN!! I don't have to be an extra, I can help out with other bits, behind the camera. I can fetch coffee, work with sound (I got training), walk dog-playing-Pilot or tie Rochester's cravat. (I don't know how it's done but I'm willing to learn!) Anything! It's Jane Eyre and I'm unemployed! Maybe that should be my new year's resolution for 2010: get a job on the new Jane Eyre adaptation. Sounds good to me! ;D

Comments:

The 2006 version is my favourite as well, and I agree with the "it's a bit soon, isn't it?" but still, my Rochester-craving is on-going and therefore I quite like the idea of a new adaptation. Doubt it'll live up to the standard set by 2006 but still. Smile

Never seen the actress before, but I've seen Fassbender in a few things. I think/hope he could be a good Rochester. RA would've been close to perfection, but that might be mainly down to me wanting to see RA as Rochester rather than anything else... teehee. Toby Stephens is still The One! Smile

They should go make adaptations of the other, less famous, Brontë novels like "Shirley", "Agnes Grey" and "Villette". Jane Austen has all her books in some filmed version or another, and there are a truckload of "Wuthering Heights" and of course "Jane Eyre".

(my comment...Richard would be good, except he's too nasily. After watching him on Robin Hood, I got annoyed at his voice. It must have been the cold, though.)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilar on Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:59 pm

I just saw the Toby Stevens version this week and was blown away. I found it completely by accident on youtube when I was looking for my previous favorite version with Ciaran Hinds. I coudn't get over how romantic it was. I ordered it immediately on Amazon, lol!

Note to Alice....Christina Cole is in it, gorgeous as ever. They couldn't make her plain if they tried. And I was very pleasantly surprised to find another favorite actress playing her mother, Francesca Annis. She's still awesomely beautiful.

For those who don't know, she had a hot and heavy affair with Ralph Fiennes....it lasted years. Mmmmm! Scandalous at the time because he was so much younger. (They met during "MacBeth")

I would still love to see Michael play Rochester....he could make that character his own, as Stephens did.
Pilar
Pilar
Azazeal's Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:19 pm

I've heard about that version, and I'd love to watch it.

Yeah, Christina is very beautiful. I've seen her in other things and wonder why she hasn't moved over here yet.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilar on Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:37 pm

Michael is still quite young to be playing this role, but obviously the people at the helm of this have faith in him. They see his potential as we do. Yeah, he's got the chops to handle it....and I still think he'd make a dynamite Heathcliff.
Pilar
Pilar
Azazeal's Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:40 am

http://monsemblable.livejournal.com/10428.html

19 January 2010 @ 10:48 pm
The Fangirl Screams a Triumphant "YESSS!!"

I'm sorry, Internet. I don't know why I've wasted so much time on you and neglected the most important possible task I could complete for so long. Really, this is going to haunt me for a while. Because while I was lurking, or reading webcomics, or reading an endless slew of "Best of..." lists, you were trying to tell me something very, very important.

Way back in November '09, the Jane Eyre movie finally stopped dragging its feet! Now I know most are not the squealing Bronte fangirl that I am, so I'll break it down. In those dim and distant days of May 2008, I learned from Bronteana that there was a big screen adaptation in the works, with Ellen Page as Jane. Uhh...I got more OK with this as time went on, but it still hurts me deep down to imagine her British accent, so I was wary, but just glad they didn't pull any Hollywood s$#! on us and choose Megan Fox. So every once in a while I poked my nose around the internet for news. IMDB originally had a late '08 release, which seemed weird, as no other cast members had been announced and the end of the year was just 7 months away. And sure enough, the release date gets pushed to '09...then '10...and still no other changes are made to the rest of the info.

Then, I remember to check it again today, and my spirits! They are revived! The release is now slated for '11, but we have our Jane and our Rochester, as well as director, screenplay, etc. Thank god. AND I'm so, so happy with the actors they chose. I'd personally never heard of either of them, but Jane is going to be played by Mia Wasikowska and our good old Eddie Fairfax by Michael Fassbender. I am so pleased. I always expect the worst with adaptations, but appearance-wise, I couldn't have asked more of Hollywood. Wasikowska is young enough and has the right look for a marriage of Hollywood and Bronte's poor, plain, obscure, little etc. Fassbender has a bit of that pretty boy Matthew MacFadyen-style appeal, but I think once in character he'll have enough grit and roughness for Rochester. Now I've never seen either of them act, and that's probably what will make or break this, because Charlotte Bronte does nothing else if not character studies, and she does them silently. Ruth Wilson's '06 Jane excelled at the expressive eyes and got the character down if you ask me, this is the sort of quiet, understated acting you need for a JE movie.

Oh god I'm so rambly tonight, Charlotte Bronte makes me this way. Curse you and your writing, Bronte sisters! At any rate I will be making my voodoo sacrifices for a fortuitous film now on the good ol' Bronte-shrine.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2