Michael Fassbender Fans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top News
WE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT MICHAEL-AN AWARD WINNING ACTOR

Congratulations to the cast and crew of "12 Years a Slave" winning an Oscar for Best Picture

Michael is currently filming "MacBeth"

Watch "12 Years A Slave" and "Frank" in theaters

Watch "The Counselor" and "12 Years A Slave" on DVD available now

Michael is set to star and produce on a film version of the video game "Assassin's Creed"

Completed projects: X-Men, Untitled Malik project

Upcoming projects Assassin's Creed, Prometheus 2, MacBeth,and more!

Header credit here

MFmultiply's Disclaimer

Order region 1 dvds-Amazon store

Order region 2-UK dvds-Amazon Shoppe

Please check the calender for films on TV, Theater, or dvd releases
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Hunger's US dvd release

3 posters

Go down

Hunger's US dvd release Empty Hunger's US dvd release

Post by Admin Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:03 pm

I guess I didn't have the news of the dvd release in the forum yet.

9/02/2009
Criterion & IFC Confirm More Titles - 'Che' Coming In Dec; Plus 'Summer Hours,' 'Hunger,' 'Y Tu Mama Tambien' & Nolan's 'Following' Coming In 2010

First reported by us a week ago as part of our exclusive interview with Criterion, new details have emerged about IFC's relationship with the boutique DVD company. It appears IFC's rental exclusivity deal with Blockbuster is over (thank christ!) and they will be using both MPI and Criterion to help distribute their films. According to Variety, IFC will determine which films will head to MPI and which will go to Criterion, though Lisa Schwartz, IFC's executive VP of Sales and Business Development does admit that having Criterion in their pocket will sweeten the pot when discussing potential distribution deals.

So what are the titles? As we noted, the screening of Steve McQueen's "Hunger" by Criterion at ATP was no coincidence and we're very pleased that Oliver Assayas' "Summer Hours," a film we loved, will be joining the collection. The previously hinted release of Steven Soderbergh's "Che" will be released in December (though it was originally pegged for the fall; beggars can't be choosers, we're excited).
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Hunger's US dvd release Empty Re: Hunger's US dvd release

Post by Admin Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:06 pm

http://theplaylist.blogspot.com/2009/11/hunger-revanche-classic-max-ophuls-film.html

11/13/2009
'Hunger,' 'Revanche,' Classic Max Ophüls' Film & More Coming To Criterion In February

Today Criterion announced their February slate and any disappointment we might still be suffering over a couple of lackluster months this winter have all but dissipated. Between this and their January titles (which we looked at here), plus all the stuff that hasn't been officially announced yet but we know will be coming soon (Guillermo del Toro's "Cronos," Ang Lee's "Ride with the Devil," Alfonso Cuaron's "Y Tu Mama Tambien," plus a shitload of IFC titles) and 2010 is looking to be an absolutely dynamite year for our beloved Criterion Collection.

But what's on the docket for February?

First up is "Revanche" (spine #502, also on Blu-ray), which we're very excited about. The slow-burning Austrian revenge film, which was nominated for the Best Foreign Language during its brief theatrical stint this year, was pretty phenomenal, but never really got it's due outside the Oscar nod and a few critics. But this was the first movie that Criterion themselves distributed in roughly a billion years, so you know there's quality behind it.

Next is Max Ophüls' sumptuous and opulent final film "Lola Montes" (spine #503, also on Blu-ray), which we're assuming is struck from the same gorgeous print that screened at the New York Film Festival last year. If so, we're all in for a treat. And to think that Ophüls' classic will be available on high definition too, well, it's very, very exciting indeed.

From the new IFC deal comes their edition of Steve McQueen's debut feature "Hunger" (spine #504, also on Blu-ray), a movie we also saw back at the New York Film Festival last year. While we're still sorting out our feelings on this fractured tale of the IRA hunger strike, it's an unquestionably moving and powerful film (just one that's very hard to sit through).
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:09 pm

http://www.criterion.com/films/477

preorder Hunger from Criterion

Release date Feb 16, 2010

DVD cover:

Hunger's US dvd release 504_bo10

Disc Features

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, approved by director Steve McQueen (with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* Video interviews with McQueen and actor Michael Fassbender
* A short documentary on the making of Hunger, including interviews with McQueen, Fassbender, actors Liam Cunningham, Stuart Graham, and Brian Milligan, writer Enda Walsh, and producer Robin Gutch
* “The Provo’s Last Card?” a 1981 episode of the BBC program Panorama, about the causes and effects of the IRA hunger strikes at the Maze prison and the political and civilian reactions across Northern Ireland
* Theatrical trailer
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Chris Darke
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:54 am

It is now available on Amazon for a sale price

http://www.amazon.com/Hunger-Michael-Fassbender/dp/B002XZOVHI
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilar Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:24 pm

Yes, I just pre ordered it. Also bought "Winnie' while I was at it.

Almost bought "Blood Creek" but I'm going to wait a bit. That "Eden Lake" really messed with my mind. LOL! Not that watching Bobby/Michael waste away will devastate me as before. *sigh*

"Devils Whore" and "Angel" is not available in U.S. format, dammit. And I had Amazon notify me when "Fish Tank" is available.

This is becoming as bad as my G fixation. *rolls eyes*
Pilar
Pilar
Azazeal's Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:47 pm

oooooo, you go girl!

Blood Creek is more like Hex, but more bloody and no sex. Monsters and all. Eden Lake does mess with your mind, so will Hunger and Fish Tank.

You should try to look at Amazon Canada, because they do have Angel, and Canada has the same region as the US.

http://www.amazon.ca/Angel-Fran%C3%A7ois-Ozon/dp/B001E1B6P2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1265063713&sr=8-6

I had heard that the Devil's Whore was going to be renamed in the US as the Devil's Mistress, but I haven't seen anything that points to that since I heard it. I think it's an HBO movie, so it should be showing soon, possibly when Centurion comes out, because both films have two actors, Michael and Dominic in them.

Eventually, you'll have to get Sherlock Holmes and the case of the Silk Stockings. Amazon also offers Agatha Christie's Poirot and Julian Fellows (which is the only thing available that I haven't seen or own).

At least you'll have good performances to watch-award winning actors and movies.

Yeah, it can be as obsessive as Gman.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MissL Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:05 pm

have yon bot the DVD Question

MissL
Stelios' sword

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:36 pm

I bought Hunger, Angel, and one other one-Trial, when Hunger was released in the UK/Ireland through Amazon.uk. Most of my purchases have been through Amazon.uk for Michael's work.

I haven't watched any of the dvds yet. I bought a program for my computer which will play all regions and will copy dvds to play on all dvd players.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MissL Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:08 pm

do you like computers a lot Question

I dont but I like the internet.

MissL
Stelios' sword

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:58 pm

I like computers when they work and work for me.

When they don't work, I want to throw it out.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:39 pm

http://wazzupinin.blogspot.com/2010/02/hunger-2008.html

Wednesday, February 3, 2010
HUNGER (2008)
Starring: Michael Fassbender
Director: Steve McQueen

One doubts that any feature film could more maturely, passionately, or elegantly evoke the madness and confusion at the heart of the early-'80s IRA conflict than Irish director McQueen's harrowing docudrama Hunger. The film unfurls in 1981, around the tail end of the IRA prisoners' "no wash" strike against the Brits, and dramatizes the martyrdom of Irishman Bobby Sands, champion of a hunger strike within a penitentiary -- and a man who led at least nine of his fellow inmates to the grave in pursuit of unascertained political status. Yet the Sands tale only occupies the second half of the picture. Long before we can identify Sands or follow his crusade, he takes his time to establish the overall atmosphere of the prison and, more importantly, the profound and noble ideas at the core of his film.

The deepest truths and insights into his perspective arrive in an opening sequence, when we observe a British prison employee, Raymond Lohan gazing at himself in the mirror, with a weathered and disillusioned face. Lohan's deep-set, slightly pained eyes aren't eyes that lack a conscience, and his countenance will return to haunt our memories time and again throughout this picture -- likewise, his routine ritual of plunging his bloody, skinned knuckles into warm water to ease the pain. Lohan may be an administrator of brutality (like the other guards, he generates an adequate amount of disdain in the audience, and sympathy toward the prisoners via his brutal actions), but his ability to suffer makes him more human in our eyes -- as does his decision to take flowers to his catatonic mother. Our feelings toward the IRA remain equally balanced; not long after we witness the psychotically violent, perhaps fatal beating of an IRA prisoner (by a uniformed British guard), he interpolates an appalling, sickening act of violence from an IRA terrorist that redefines one's notion of shocking. It comes out of nowhere, unfolds in the sweetest and most benign of locations, and ends with the gunman practically jaunting away merrily, hands in his pockets. The central message is clear: the men on both sides of this fence are neither monsters nor saints. Both the guards and the suffering prisoners have been irrevocably plunged by fate into the same maelstrom of suffering.

Curiously, for a drama about the IRA, the first half of the film completely omits ideological argument and an exploration of the political goings-on at the core of this tumult. And that represents a deliberate choice. For the humanistic director, everything within the prison represents complete insanity -- from the fecal matter smeared on the cell walls, to the slop thrown into bedside troughs, to the maggots swarming around one sleeping prisoner's head, to the said beatings. At the heart of everything, the director reminds us, these men are men, who belong to the same human quilt, and the groups have mutually resigned themselves to the same pit of despair and masochism -- making all external conflicts irrelevant when held up next to the film's gut-wrenching plea for sympathy.

The picture then shifts gears dramatically at about the 45-minute mark, moving into the Sands story, and in what will go down as one of the most audacious directorial choices of 2008, he commits the film and the audience to a fixed shot and a single take for about 20 minutes. Sands (Fassbender) and a priest, Father Dominic Moran, sit on opposite ends of the same table, dissect the pros and cons of martyrdom, and fire arguments at one another on the progression versus regression of the IRA cause. The scene packs an emotional and intellectual wallop: he fully enables us to grasp (and possibly share) the priest's logic, his die-hard conviction that the notion of a hunger strike is absurd and pointless, and his belief that the IRA is a worthy cause but has lost its original foundation, just as the director explores the logic behind Bobby's rebuttals. The fixed shot is thus valuable for keeping the men equidistant from the audience, and underscoring the ideological balance present in the conversation. The film concludes with long, anatomically detailed, and thoroughly devastating sequences of the prisoner withering away to nothing, yet he laces the scenes with lyrical cutaways to Bobby's childhood, hallucinations that his childhood self is visiting him, and images of birds aloft, that draw out the grace and nobility within the man's soul and recall an identical metaphor in Dreyer's The Passion of Joan of Arc.(92 mins.)

My Rating: ***1/2
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilar Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:05 am

I just got my copy....and yes, the cover is devastating. You know, if I were one of the people actually there at the time, I would have taken a turkey sandwich smothered with mayonaise, crammed it in Bobby's mouth and clamped his lips shut with my fingers. "You'll eat this or else!" Forget this standing up for a cause nonsense. I have too much of a mothering instinct.
Pilar
Pilar
Azazeal's Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:02 am

Yeah, I'm sure there were people who wanted to do that, but then there were people who wanted Bobby to die and didn't care.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilar Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:51 am

And they got their wish. So friggin' sad and uneccessary. What a waste. Hunger's US dvd release Icon_cry
Pilar
Pilar
Azazeal's Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down