Michael Fassbender Fans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top News
WE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT MICHAEL-AN AWARD WINNING ACTOR

Congratulations to the cast and crew of "12 Years a Slave" winning an Oscar for Best Picture

Michael is currently filming "MacBeth"

Watch "12 Years A Slave" and "Frank" in theaters

Watch "The Counselor" and "12 Years A Slave" on DVD available now

Michael is set to star and produce on a film version of the video game "Assassin's Creed"

Completed projects: X-Men, Untitled Malik project

Upcoming projects Assassin's Creed, Prometheus 2, MacBeth,and more!

Header credit here

MFmultiply's Disclaimer

Order region 1 dvds-Amazon store

Order region 2-UK dvds-Amazon Shoppe

Please check the calender for films on TV, Theater, or dvd releases
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Jane Eyre reviews 7

Go down

Jane Eyre reviews 7 - Page 2 Empty Re: Jane Eyre reviews 7

Post by Admin Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:21 pm

http://reneesweet.livejournal.com/191536.html

Previous Entry
Jane Eyre

Sep. 22nd, 2011 at 7:26 PM

aragorn worn out
I recently watched the 2011 version of Jane Eyre, starring Mia Wasikowska (Alice in Wonderland), Michael Fassbender (Inglorious Basterds), and Jamie Bell (Billy Elliot). It was excellent. Mia Wasikowska brought the same sense of presence and understated passion (if that makes any sense at all) as she did to her phenomenal performance of Alice in Alice in Wonderland. And Michael Fassbender was FANTASTIC as Rochester: volatile, passionate, tortured, soulful.

The screenplay adaptation was well done. I brought out my highly scribbled-upon copy of the book and, as I flipped through, was impressed with how much of the dialogue and narrative description were carried out verbatim on the screen. There were a few choices that I thought could have been made a little differently to portray Rochester in a slightly more balanced light--there are a few scenes where he is absolutely irredeemable and every time Jane (and I) fell in love with him in subsequent scenes, I found myself thinking back and wondering how we could fall for someone who could be such an asshole at times (pardon my candor).

Also? The score, by Dario Marianelli, is divine. I've been listening to it both at work and at home. It features British violin virtuoso Jack Liebeck, whose solos haunt my mind hours after I turn off my iPod. The Jane Eyre score just might be the theme music to my new book. Very Happy

I would definitely recommend the movie to any fans of the novel.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:25 pm

http://www.realmovienews.com/reviews/movies/4178

25th September 2011 Red square
Red square Log in Red square Register Red square

jamiekelwick's score:
4 out of 5

Jane Eyre (2011) Directed by:

Cary Fukunaga
Jane Eyre (2011) Written by:

Jane Eyre (2011) Cast:

Mia Wasikowska, Michael Fassbender, Judy Dench, Sally Hawkins, Jamie Bell
Jane Eyre (2011) U.S. Distributor:

Focus Features
Jane Eyre (2011) U.K. Distributor:

Universal Pictures
Jane Eyre (2011) U.S. Cinema Release Date:

11th Mar 2011
Jane Eyre (2011) U.K. Cinema Release Date:

9th Sep 2011

Visit our Movie Information Page for Jane Eyre (2011)!
Add a review for this movie:

This Week's US Cinema Releases:

50/50 (2011)

This Week's UK Cinema Releases:

Shark Night 3D (2011)

Jane Eyre (2011) Synopsis:

Mia Wasikowska ("Alice in Wonderland") and Michael Fassbender ("Inglourious Basterds") star in the romantic drama based on Charlotte Bronte's classic novel, from acclaimed director Cary Fukunaga ("Sin Nombre"). In the story, Jane Eyre flees Thornfield House, where she works as a governess for wealthy Edward Rochester. As she reflects upon the people and emotions that have defined her, it is clear that the isolated and imposing residence - and Mr. Rochester's coldness - have sorely tested the young woman's resilience, forged years earlier when she was orphaned. She must now act decisively to secure her own future and come to terms with the past that haunts her - and the terrible secret that Mr. Rochester is hiding and that she has uncovered...
Jane Eyre (2011) Review:

After a bleak childhood, Jane Eyre goes out into the world to become a governess. As she lives happily in her new position at Thornfield Hall, she meets the dark, cold, and abrupt master of the house, Mr. Rochester. Jane and her employer grow close in friendship and she soon finds herself falling in love with him. Happiness seems to have found Jane at last, but could Mr. Rochester's terrible secret be about to destroy it forever?

A vivid adaptation of the Charlotte Bronte beloved novel, Jane Eyre is a timeless love story.

Michael Fassbender and Mia Wasikowska are stunning and with good support from Jamie Bell and Dame Judy Dench, this is a must watch for all Bronte and period drama fans.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:39 pm

http://www.odt.co.nz/entertainment/film/179219/film-review-jane-eyre

FILM REVIEW: 'Jane Eyre'

Sat, 24 Sep 2011
> Jane Eyre
5 stars (out of 5)

Director: Cary Fukunaga
Cast: Mia Wasikowska, Michael Fassbender, Jamie Bell, Judi Dench, Amelia Clarkson, Sally Hawkins, Simon McBurney, Freya Parks, Georgia Bourke, Imogen Poots
Rating: (M)

Jane Eyre is my favourite novel. I read it in one delirious gulp in my early 20s and have never since had the courage to reread it in case it no longer cast the same spell on me.

This latest filmed Jane Eyre (Rialto) astonished and delighted me by summing up the fever that reading induced. Instead of following the novel's order and starting with Jane's horror childhood, the movie begins at fever pitch as a distraught Jane (Mia Wasikowska) flees into the wild moors.

The rest of the story leading to her escape is told in flashback.

As my dominant memory of the novel is an orgy of barely suppressed emotions, this movie suits me fine. It actually has many faults.

Michael Fassbender is a superlative Rochester but only gets a fraction of the screen time he deserves. It is to his credit that we realise why Jane loves his character so, because he certainly gets no help from the script.

The delicious Gothic cliche that Charlotte Bronte invented of the mad woman locked in the attic is also underplayed. But none of the faults matter, because it plunges you immediately into Jane's despair and that heightened emotion carries the entire film.

Best thing: The Derbyshire moors standing in for the more famous Yorkshire ones. They are real eerie country.

Worst thing: I loved this so much that I would only be truly happy with the same cast doing a line-by-line reading that went for at least eight hours.

See it with: A lace-trimmed handkerchief and some smelling salts in your reticule.

- Christine Powely
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:02 pm

http://www.whitbygazette.co.uk/lifestyle/entertainment/bronte_s_tale_gets_a_good_eyre_ing_1_3848492

Monday 10 October 2011

Bronte’s tale gets a good Eyre-ing ...
Mia Wasikowska as Jane Eyre.

Published on Friday 7 October 2011 02:47

A BOLD, atmospheric, stunningly filmed new adaptation of Charlotte Bronte’s classic love story is coming to Whitby.

After fleeing the imposing Thornfield Hall, Jane Eyre (Mia Wasikowska) runs across the eerie, foggy moor until she arrives at the door of young clergyman St John Rivers (Jamie Bell).

While recuperating, Jane reflects on the experiences that formed her, from a Dickensian childhood to her employment as governess for the cruel, cold Edward Rochester (Michael Fassbender).

Anyone who’s familiar with Charlotte Bronte’s much-filmed classic will recognise that this is a brave departure from the text.

Director Cary Fukanaga (‘Sin Nombre’) frames the story as a series of flashbacks, underlining how Jane is haunted by her past.

He also gets the best out of a to-die-for cast.

There’s a stand-out central performance by ‘Alice in Wonderland’ star Mia Wasikowska. Michael Fassbender makes a memorable Rochester.

And the great Judi Dench is on excellent form as Thornfield’s all-knowing housekeeper, Mrs Fairfax.

Screenings take place Saturday 15 October and Sunday 16 October at 2.30pm, and on Monday 17 October at 7.30pm.

Tickets are £6 for adults and £5 for children.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:19 pm

http://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/entertainment/5742999/Finding-beauty-within

Finding beauty within
DAVID MANNING
Last updated 12:31 06/10/2011

With Charlotte Bronte's 1847 novel Jane Eyre having more adaptations in film and TV than any other novel, the latest version begs the question, why so many and why another?

The answer is partly that Jane Eyre provides the quintessential feminist heroine, particularly notable for being so in the context of a Victorian patriarchal society.

Jane is a young woman who may be as plain-looking as she is plain-spoken but is also intelligent and independent, honest and humble, spirited and soulful – and, despite being "poor and obscure" and alone in the world, has an instinctive sense of self-respect and self-reliance.

Jane Eyre is also a novel blending romance, drama and suspense in a Gothic setting, and features a brooding, Byronic character in the form of Edward Fairfax Rochester, the master of Thornfield Hall, where young Jane becomes governess to his ward.

Jane's story is well-conceived and well-told – and despite becoming well-known still prompts new interpretations and renderings of it. There are reportedly nearly 30 previous film and TV versions, more than the novels of Jane Austen or even Charles Dickens have inspired.

Director Cary Joji Fukunaga ensconces this Jane Eyre in a shadowy, foreboding setting and moodily emphasises the repressed emotions in Jane's developing liaison with Rochester as well as her sense of equality and freedom in their relationship.

There's little light, colour or sunshine in this dark telling, more creeping nightmare in its mystery than swoony dream in its love story from which to awaken.

Screenwriter Moira Buffini (Tamara Drewe) is innovative in her re-construction and necessary streamlining of Bronte's novel. It opens with a distraught adult Jane on the moors on a stormy night and eventually finding refuge with a clergyman (Jamie Bell) and his two sisters.

From this present, the film briefly flashes back to Jane's "tale of woe", her maltreatment as an orphan child (Amelia Clarkson) at the hands of a cruel aunt (Sally Hawkins) and then in a cruel Dickensian charity school before the story proper begins with her arrival at Thornfield Hall (where Judi Dench shows up as the housekeeper).

Here is the heart of the tale and where the burden falls on Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender to make a familiar story still engage, move and satisfy.

Australian Wasikowska (Alice in Wonderland, The Kids Are All Right) arguably brings to life the most genuine and convincing screen portrayal of Jane. For starters, she's the right age – 19 when making the film, the age of Jane in the novel – and looks the part. But in her countenance is a steely belief in her self-worth which, allied to an innate morality in her behaviour and a compassion that allows forgiveness, illuminates the captivating beauty inside her.
Ad Feedback

Fassbender's Rochester is initially a sardonic, cynical, depressed man harbouring a dark secret inside his house and whose inner torment is both eased and exacerbated by his attraction to Jane.

No doubt Jane Eyre will be made again; the challenge then will be to not only be as accomplished as Fukunaga's film but achieve the unexpected freshness he instills in such a familiar classic tale.

- Nelson
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:24 pm

bowmanvillefilmsociety:

What is up with this movie? Everything’s so pretty and muted.

Anyway, let me tell you something silly. You may or may not have noticed that I’m pretty on top of watching the movies for this club. It’s partly because I’m just plain excited to watch them, and partly because I’m crazy and take too much pleasure in checking things off my to-do list. I have, however, been putting off watching Jane Eyre.

I loved it so much the first time that I’ve been worried that I must’ve been mistaken, that this time the awesome script and acting wouldn’t be enough for me to forgive the choppiness.

But, guess what! I enjoyed it all the same this time.

I still hate the opening montage of Jane running around the rainy English countryside lost and crying. I’m just like, what are you doing? Your best impression of Frodo Baggins in the Dead Marshes? Give it a rest!

Otherwise though, Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender still blew my socks off. They’re wearing so many layers of uncomfortable clothing, but this s$#! is so sexy! How is this happening? (Expert eye contact, that’s how!)

Jane and Rochester don’t have one lame filler scene in this entire movie. It’s like they only have two modes with each other: Clever and flirty or intellectual and anguished. Either way, it’s pushing all my romance buttons.

And then just look at Rochester in that last screenshot… doing his best unhinged Billy Chenowith impersonation up there… I’m powerless to fight it. Damn you, Fassbender!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:21 pm

fobsfilmspot:
Jane Eyre

I’d call it a pretty effective interpretation of Jane Eyre, except I was just so disappointed in the ending performances were great, it was a refreshing way to tell the story by starting when Jane arrives at St John’s doorstep - my whole experience was just diminished by an ineffective ending.

As Mr Rochester, Michael Fassbender was pretty awesome - he managed to play him hard, but you see the small smiles and softer personality in the nuance of his expression - the character can so easily become unlikeable, but Fassbender allows you to still connect with him. I wasn’t quite as impressed with Mia Wasikowska as Jane - she was good, and plained up and all, it just - she was too sure of herself, maybe, too sure of her opinions. Maybe I need to read the book again, but she just didn’t quite fit my persona for Jane.

Their relationship, however, was told really effectively - Carly Fukunaga (the director) and Moira Buffini (the screenwriter) have done a great job at ensuring the audience understand fully what they are both thinking, and can then comfortably just wait for Jane and Rochester to catch up. I thought, from watching the trailers, that the scary parts of the book would be so much worse - the flashes of shadow, and silhouette of a woman sitting on Jane’s bed - I was terrified seeing them on the trailer, but I wasn’t at all scared watching here. It has to be said, I saw it on a plane, so possibly the atmosphere wasn’t quite right.

So it was, genuinely, a very well done version of Jane eyre. Is just that they didn’t want it to become too melodramatic, or maybe they thought a subtle ending suited the small story better. But after the drama you get sent through, no matter that it’s not any major tragedy - you just want a decent pay off, and I just don’t think they quite delivered. Worth seeing, definitely, I just wouldn’t hang out for the ending.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:39 am

pipsdaspixie:
Jane Eyre

I watched it finally, and I liked it I read the book about eight years ago. So, my memories on all the details was rather sketchy at times but I did remember most of the important things.

This is also the movie that had me searching out Michael Fassbender. I was curious to know who was going to play Mr. Rochester in the newest movie, I saw the name and had to go to the handy dandy IMDB, and realized that I’ve seen Michael Fassbender in a lot of movies. So while I can’t say I’ve been a fan of him for a long time knowingly, I have always enjoyed every time I’ve seen him in a movie.

Back to the actual overview of the movie. I liked the feel of it, it really got the creepy moments down from the book and those creepy moments were done really well. I enjoyed Mia Wasikowska’s Jane very much she wasn’t exactly what I imagined when I read the book (though that image is somewhat fuzzy over the years) but she fits into the mold fairly well.

Of course, Michael’s Rochester was done well, the physicality he used with the character was done well too. However, every moment they used the lines that referred to how not attractive Rochester is, I couldn’t help but smirk. Mia pulled of the semi-plain better (despite her being a gorgeous girl) than Michael pulled off not being attractive (then again I am a biased person).

Still I enjoyed the movie very much I loved the fact that it went over her staying with the Rivers and I did enjoy the love montage of Jane and Rochester (Something I didn’t remember in the book). Of course anytime anything went wrong I shook my hand in the air and called out “Bertha”.

Movie score: 8.5/10
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:52 pm

resasreviews:
Jane Eyre (2011)

Reader, I watched it.

I know I’m a little bit late, but last week I finally made it and immediately fell in love with it.

I’ve read the novel about two years ago so I knew most of the plot, which din’t make it less interesting I think. I can remember that while reading the book, I was a little bit bored, when Jane was in Lowood. I know it’s an important part of the book, but when you read it for the first time you don’t know that it will become so much more exciting. But this movie made it exactly right:

1) The adaption

The movie uses a flashback. At the beginning the audience sees a depressive and desperate woman, who seems to flee from something. Jane is being rescued by nice people and the viewers (together with the Rivers family) get to know the story behind the disillusionesed woman. Via flashbacks we travel to Jane’s life at her aunts, at Lowood and finally at Thornfield. And I have to say, I really liked that point of view. I didn’t feel like a biography of a girl in the middle of the 19th century, but much more like a story of how Jane became the person she is now. While her early years always felt like flashbacks, her life at Thornfield was potrayed in a different way. Since you didn’t see any scenes from the “present”, you lost the feeling that you were in a flashback more and more. The audience begins to settle in at Thornfield and to feel comfortable. Especially after the engagement, we’ve already forgotten that Jane will come to a point, where she wants to die. Consequently, the revelation that Mrs Rochester is living in the attics comes as a great suprise. (Especially, if you haven’t read the book.) If you already knew that this was going to happen, then you’ve been dreading this part from the first moment you saw Mr Rochester. When you see once again the scenes from the beginning you realize that Jane’s situation is REALLY bad.

I have to say that they stayed very true to the book and tried everything they could to leave as much conversations from the book in the movie as possible. And though they added some scenes (Jane’s daydream of Mr Rochester), they only stress Jane’s emotion in order to convey them to the audience. (And I have to confess that this actually was one of my favourite scenes! I so much wished that Mr Rochester was real at that moment and both actors were so great in that scene!)

All in all, a great adaption!

2) The actors

This movie was the first with Michael Fassbender and Mia Wasikowsa that I saw, so I didn’t know their acting. But I must say that I was swept away by their perfomances.

Mia Wasikowska hardly moves an eyebrow in the movie, but when she does move her face, you get blown away by all the feelings the movement expresses. Jane Eyre is supposed to be an earnest and, well, plain woman and Mia’s perfomance fit to my “interpretation” of Jane’s character. Just remember the scene after Mr Mason’s departure! In my opinion, you could just see it perfectly in her eyes how she tries to understand what Mr Rochester is saying. You can see that longing for him. So just perfect! Another great scene was the proposal scene, where every emotion that Jane carried deep down in her soul, suddenly broke out of her. Her desperation and agony and after that her hope and bliss were perfect! The last scene to mention is of course Jane’s break down. All I wanted to do is go to Mia and hug her and tell her that everything will be fine!

Michael Fassbender on the other hand potrayed the byronic hero as none other actor could do. The sudden changes of his mood, his mysteriousness and at some times his self-contempt were pictured all in Michael Fassbender’s face. Especially in his conversations with Jane at the beginning, the playfullness and on the other hand his arrogance were all in Fassbender’s perfomance. The little smiles he let break through… Who wouldn’t want to live with such a Mr Rochester? And after that facade broke down and Rochester feared to lose his dearest Jane forever, Rochester’s pain and his longing for Jane were conveyed in a perfect way. Fassbender showed great emotions that suited the byronic character of Mr Rochester.

All in all, perfect actors!

3) The pictures

What I especially like about this adaption was these pretty “pictures” of landscapes, flowers, and houses in the background. While the Reed’s manor is held in comically bright colours, Jane’s school is much darker and held in browner colours. These colours don’t change when Jane comes to Thornfield, which underlines the gothic atmosphere of the manor very well. But from the moment of the engagement Jane’s spring begins and all the flowers begin to bloom. In my opinion these colours are a great way to show that Jane is finally(!) really happy with her life.

Of course this changes again, when Jane escapes and finds the Rivers family. The colours become “earthier” (not sure if this is a word) and again darker.

All in all, I really liked the “symbolic” character of the colours and the pictures in the movie. And even if you don’t like the story (but who does that?), you can enjoy the beautiful landscapes of Yorkshire.

4) Summary

This movie has become one of my favourites very fast. Highly remmonded, especially if you like the book or any other literary adaption (Pride and Prejudice).
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down