Top News
WE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT MICHAEL-AN AWARD WINNING ACTOR

Congratulations to the cast and crew of "12 Years a Slave" winning an Oscar for Best Picture

Michael is currently filming "MacBeth"

Watch "12 Years A Slave" and "Frank" in theaters

Watch "The Counselor" and "12 Years A Slave" on DVD available now

Michael is set to star and produce on a film version of the video game "Assassin's Creed"

Completed projects: X-Men, Untitled Malik project

Upcoming projects Assassin's Creed, Prometheus 2, MacBeth,and more!

Header credit here

MFmultiply's Disclaimer

Order region 1 dvds-Amazon store

Order region 2-UK dvds-Amazon Shoppe

Please check the calender for films on TV, Theater, or dvd releases
October 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Prometheus previews and spoilers

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Prometheus previews and spoilers

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:43 am

soundslikegabe:
Prometheus

The title Prometheus, delving into Western traditional sense of Greek mythology, is a figure that represented progress; humans striving for knowledge while putting themselves in danger of unwanted consequences. Ridley’s Alien prologue fits the name perfectly with a story of the pursuit of knowledge that would be best left alone. An epic film that explains the evolutionary origins of the notorious xenomorph from Alien, Scott successfully creates a film that stands out on its own from the original series.

The former Lost writer’s return to the series begins with the story’s “prometheus” beginning human life. He sacrifices himself into the primordial soup in which we understand life to have began, defeating the idea of Darwinism and skipping the trial and error of mutation to take on a predetermined life form that we know as the human race. The focus then shifts to the original Lisbeth Salander (Noomi Rapace) in a cleaner but just as challenging role as a researcher trying to trace time up to the initial scene.

Noomi Rapace was among the minority of the ones who had integrity the entire film. She only cared about pursuing the knowledge of where she came from, what the carvings on the rocks meant. Rapace was the humanity in the story, standing for the human desire to know about the phenomena of the universe. Outside the purity circle was Charlize Theron, an antihero of sorts who looked after her own interests, following a shared agenda with Fassbender.

Throughout the film Fassbender served as an antihero with an unsympathetic personality with the difficult task of showing his creator the origin of man; a task which he completes in the worst way. Michael was a standout in that he played this character that could be used as a focal point from a demigod’s perspective. He was immortal, he was able to see the flaws and insecurities in humans. In a way he was the western perspective of the god because he stole from the Stone Head room to end his life’s purpose with an unpleasant encounter with the denizens of the planet. He pursued knowledge as the rest of the mortal humans did only to be in the same dire consequences as the rest of the crew on board.

The film in it’s entirety was a fantastic addition to enrich a prologue to the Alien series. At first glance a cameo with Sigourney Weaver would seem necessary, but after seeing the film itself, it’s understandable why Scott wouldn’t give it a second of thought. The film shows the evolutionary origins of the Alien series, not the actual story itself. It can stand on its own as a parallel plot alongside Weaver’s to continue Rapace’s thirst for knowledge and to trace the path of the notorious alien from the original series.

8.1/10
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:45 am

passerparvus:

SPOILERS FOR PROMETHEUS AHEAD!

….I just really want to talk about how I loved her character. Or, rather, grew to love her character. I mean, at first I was put off by her naivete/optimism (i mean, honey, you’re in an Alien-verse movie. Don’t you know that NOTHING good will come from meeting the extra-terrestrials?), and the piety thing just added to it.

BUT:

She believed, and then her beliefs changed with the facts she received and then she didn’t ever take anything sitting down and girl had nerves of steel in the face of danger and generally lived up to the Ripley-standard without being a Ripley Ripoff.

and (MAJOR SPOILER)

…ok, good to go?

Major props to the writing department for writing the terrifying alien pregnancy/chestburster thing the way they did. They established her as infertile, and unhappy with that fact, but when David says ‘you’re pregnant’ rather than going with the typical ‘omgyay!’ response that an infertile woman could have been written with, shefreaks out(and rightfully so). Which is great, because it shows a woman panicking when she finds out her body is doing something that it shouldn’t be able to do, rather than being overwhelmed with joy by the**miracle of li-ife**. So yay to that!

so yeah, character who changed over the course of the film in a way that felt organic, was awesome but wasn’t immediately apparent as such and generally was SO AWESOME? Erin is v.v. happy.

—-

…. also, I really want to see her and David buddy-cop explore the universe (with grand vengeance and righteous wrath and learning the ins-and-outs of having feelings, because shut up David you kind of do)
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:46 am

100yearsofwaiting:
PROMETHEUS... My Initial Thoughts...

I SERIOUSLY don’t get where all the hate and anger is coming from. Honestly… If you went into this thinking, “Oh, this will easily connect the lines from a prequel film to the original ALIEN and do all the work for me”, I get how you might be somewhat surprised by the fact that there’s still more work to be done in either your mind or future installments. But, if you were ANGERED by this fact? I just don’t understand that…

The film makes you stop and think…question not just the events, characters, and plot of the film…but the nature of what our very own existence means and how it began. Is there only ONE true answer? Could it be a mix of several theories? Could it be that there’s more to this universe than just US?

I’ve always found it INCREDIBLY infuriating, egocentric, and, frankly, idiotic when people dismiss the notion of there being other intelligent life in the universe besides humans. I mean…if WE are the best example of “intelligent” life in this comos…then, well, honestly…the cosmos is a pretty f*cked up place…because, let’s face it…human beings as a whole are great big screw ups in MANY ways.

This film should make you wonder about our role in “it all”. It should make you ask questions about who we are, what we mean, and WHY we are. It should make you think about your beliefs…and wonder about how they started…who created them…and WHY. And with all the clues we are given…it should very easily make you say, “Ahhh…I see now how this all connects to ALIEN. See, here’s what happens…”

Maybe time and further movies will prove us wrong. But, Ridley Scott and company give us all the clues we need to come up with our own theories, ideas, and conclusions. They give us the information we need to say, “Ohhh….so this means…”

Whether or not one is willing to imagine, think, and process what they’ve seen to come to their own ideas about what it all means is entirely up to the viewer. But, I don’t want to hear ANYONE I know complaining about how “none of it made sense” or “the plot sucked” or similar gripes.

Are there flaws? Yes, naturally. Are there MORE questions to be answered? Absolutely. But…the best part of this film is…we are given the sensory input to come to our OWN conclusions and answers…without having to be led there by the director, actors, and writers.

Finally…the film is absolutely, truly majestic and beautiful in its scope and majesty. Truly… I can’t even begin to put into words how awe-inspiring the first five minutes of this movie were. My jaw was hanging to the floor, I imagine, as I sat and watched the vistas and visuals unfolding before my eyes. And as far as accessibility…if a viewer can’t identify in any way with the MULTIPLE ideas/symbolism/analogies regarding parents and their children…and the sometimes confusing relationship shared between the two…then the viewer isn;t being honest with themselves or their humanity. PROMETHEUS puts forth some VERY uncomfortable ideas about parents and their relationship with their children…and how sometimes the questions both ask themselves and wonder about are sometimes horrific in nature psychologically. They are thoughts we don’t want to confront BECAUSE they are uncomfortable. But they are thoughts that if you refuse to accept and deal with…you’re denying one of the most important aspects of being a human being. Of having wants and desires… Of needing to evolve. Of needing to separate… Of needing to be YOU rather than something someone else desired.

If you want “easily digestible sci-fi”: pop in TRANSFORMERS. If you want, “Holy f&#!…this could change everything. I wonder if it means…”…then go see PROMETHEUS.

I’m not sure I could ask for anything more from intelligent science-fiction, honestly.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:46 am

http://persiflet.tumblr.com/post/24799932254/prometheus

PROMETHEUS

Unspoilery review: go. go see it. SEE IT NOW, if you can. (Although… you may want to get warnings first. Body horror of all kinds.)

Two different levels of spoilery below:

Medium spoilery review:

-Perfect cast was so f#%@#&! perfect.

-IT WAS BEAUTIFUL. AND GROSS. AND TERRIFYING. AND BEAUTIFUL.

-Dr. Shaw. DR. SHAW. I love Ridley Scott so much now (and the writers, Jon Spaihts and Damon Lindelof.) Shaw was so different from Ripley, and yet just as strong and amazing.

-CAPTAIN JANEK. Idris Elba for ALL THE AWARDS. His character was amazing, too. That conversation with Hadley. And on a shallow note, JANEK/VICKERS PR0N NOW PLZ.

-David. David. David invokes ALL MY FEELS, and all Ridley Scott’s robot tropes too, but I didn’t mind that. Desperately curious, love/hate relationship with father figure, afdklgh. I ALSO WANT ALL THE INCESTOUS DAVID/VICKERS FIC KTHNX. And his relationship with Shaw makes me keysmash. Also um. Is it okay for me to feel that Fassbender is very, very attractive even though I think he’s a disgusting asshole irl?

HIGHLY SPOILERY REVIEW (ABOUT THREE SPECIFIC POINTS):

-The Lawrence of Arabia bits. WERE THEY TRYING TO KILL ME. it succeeded. i am dead and typing from beyond the grave.

-The alien pregnancy scene was imho handled better than any other version of that trope ever. I loved it. Shaw took control and refused to let it go, she was brave and determined and as far as I could tell there was no sexualization of the horror, which. THANK YOU. Even though it was so graphic it didn’t squick me out at all because of that, but it might definitely be bad for other people so be careful.

-The ending. I was ecstatic they actually went there. I was thinking it would end ambiguously or even with everyone dead and I would have to fanfic an ending where Shaw and David had amazing adventures and angsty emotions together, but I SHOULD NOT HAVE DOUBTED.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:47 am

if-you-see-gay-me:
Prometheus [Spoilers]

Just saw Prometheus, and I’m going to try to remember everything that I thought about during the movie, but I know I’m going to miss something and probably end up reposting this later. This post contains spoilers, and by spoilers I mean like the whole f#%@#&! movie.

First of all, what’s up with the shoes? Vickers (Theron) wears crazy future heels with highwater uniform pants at one point, it looks so retro-future it made me giggle. But lots of people wander around in this movie in flip flops, including David (Fassbender) at one point where he’s in total uniform. Space uniform, highwater pants, flip flops. Ew.

There was a minor kerfluffle on the internet when it was “spoiled” that David was a synthetic, but it’s not a secret in the movie, it comes out almost right away. Not that it’s not completely obvious that he’s everybody’s robot butler before they even say he’s an android.

Theron is a magnificent bitch in her part, Fassbender is very creepy, and Noomi Rapace is amazing; at one point she was near tears and it made me want to cry.

I know it’s just for storytelling purposes, but why would these people agree to this mission, to be asleep for years and travel so far if they didn’t know why? Because a briefing followed by a “Two years later” cut would have been stupid, that’s why.

We know that Millburn (Spall) is a biologist, so when Fifield (Harris) says “I love rocks, I don’t care about giant dead bodies,” and expects Millburn to go with him, I wanted Millburn to say “Well I care about giant dead bodies!” Instead, Millburn leaves rather than stay and examine this once-in-a-lifetime find.

Of course Fifield and Millburn get lost alone on the planet, during which time they have video contact with the ship. But Janek (Elba) leaves the bridge, so no one is present when they die. Were they not at least transmitting audio? Are none of their communications recorded for future reference? That seems a poor choice for a research mission. The idea that perhaps it was recorded and no one thought to check it is even worse. Furthermore, what was that thing that killed them? It had acid blood and forced it’s way down Millburn’s throat, implying that it’s some evolution of facehugger, but it didn’t lay eggs, it killed him. And what exactly happened to Fifield? His facemask melted and looked like it should have suffocated him, but later he returns to the ship, crazy, faceplate broken, kills a bunch of folks, was he infected with something?

When David gives Holloway (Marshall-Green) the glass infected with the bioweapon, he double taps it when he picks it up. I figured this was a bit of slight of hand, and that was the point of infection. Instead, when he fills the glass, he then sticks his finger in the liquid, in front of Holloway, who apparently doesn’t find it weird at all. What’s David’s motivation here? He didn’t know what it would do, he wasn’t ordered to test the stuff for the company. Further, he couldn’t have known that Holloway and Shaw (Rapace) would have sex, or what that would do. Pure curiosity doesn’t makes sense, as he makes no effort to stop Vickers killing Holloway, so he can’t test the effects of his experiment. And when Holloway started getting sick, I wanted to yell at the screen “Tell someone! You’re all on an alien world and you’re infected do you want everyone to die?” But I can forgive that action, as it seems likely the character would be more concerned about seeing his discovery through than his own well being.

Upon discovering she’s pregnant with some sort of alien, Shaw’s immediate reaction is “Get it out of me.” This could have been more poignant, if it were drawn out a bit more before she realized what it was. She was supposed to be infertile, her partner was dead, and now she’s pregnant? It could have been a moment of bittersweet happiness that quickly went very wrong, but instead it was pure body horror. Also, “It looks about 3 months.” You know it’s not a human fetus, you know it hasn’t been 3 months, and you have no idea of the creature’s gestation period. Are you commenting on the size? Shaw goes to the emergency medical pod and requests a Cesarean (for a moment I thought she would ask it for an abortion, which would have been really jarring) and the pod responds that it is calibrated for a male patient. This could have created a mystery, as it was supposedly Vickers’ pod, but we’d already seen Vickers and David talking and it was clear they were taking orders from Weyland (Pearce.) The scene of Shaw trapped in the pod with the creature and sliding out trying not to touch it was fantastic and horrifying.

There are a few lines of dialogue that I remember thinking were totally unnecessary, but now I can only recall one such scene. Shaw confronts Weyland about his motivations, and he says that he hopes his creators can “Save [him.]” It’s clear what he means, he’s obviously extremely old and sickly (his makeup makes him look literally inhumanly aged.) But she responds “Save you from what?” The answer, “Death, of course.” Also Vickers’ line directed towards Weyland of “Father” was really strangely delivered, hammy, and at that point completely expected.

However later, when they reenter the alien structure and begin removing their helmets and Shaw objects on account of Holloway’s infection, stating it could have come from the air, David simply replies “It didn’t.” Nothing more is said, they exchange looks and it’s clear that Shaw understands what is being implied.

Before that Shaw had been trying to convince Weyland to leave the planet and not awaken the alien, to no avail. She goes down with them, and legitimately, they came a long way and it was her life’s work that brought them there. Realistically, the character would do just that, but there’s no conflict, one moment she wants to leave and they next she’s suiting up.

When David awakens the alien pilot, it immediately attacks them and starts the ship. Now, if I was an alien on a mission to fly a bioweapon to a far off primitive world, and I woke up and critters from that world were standing there talking to me, I’d at the very least get on the phone to Space Jockey Command and find out what year it was and if my standing orders were still Kill All Humans.

Only Shaw makes it out alive, having gone into the situation in the worst physical shape of anyone there, save Weyland, having just undergone impromptu surgery shortly before. She convinces the 3 crew remaining on Prometheus to sacrifice themselves to stop the alien ship, somewhat easily in my opinion. It’s not really a choice, kill the aliens or be 3 of 5 living humans in the universe, but there’s still no moment of sadness or conflict in them. Vickers chooses to take an escape pod onto the planet, I don’t know how long she thinks she’ll survive, but desperate times blah blah. They jettison her lifeboat first, damaging it, and I’m still not wholly certain why. She then dies in a really stupid “run along the tracks instead of jumping to the side” scene.

Shaw then goes to the damaged lifeboat, with her suit warning her she is low on air. She throws some cans in a bag, I’m guessing food, but couldn’t figure where she thought she was going to take it. Perhaps to one of the other alien ships, which seemed to have breathable air? Except oops, she forgot they were even there til David reminded her. The downed alien pilot follows her to the lifeboat and attacks her. (They can breathe here without helmets? Why did they wear helmets in their own ship?) She distracts the Jockey and her mutant facehugger spawn with each other, and they eventually birth a strange-looking xenomorph with horrifically human teeth.

David convinces Shaw that he can pilot one of the other alien ships, so she has to go get him. The fact that she is now dependent on the creature who killed her lover is really moving, and I really enjoyed this scene. Shaw decides rather than to go home, she is going to fly one of the bioweapon ships to the Jockies’ homeworld. She says she’s going for answers, for why they created mankind in the first place, but the implication that the ship itself is a weapon and she’s taking it back to them leads me to believe that if she doesn’t get answers, or doesn’t like the answers she gets, it’s all over for the Jockies.

The person I saw the movie with complained that they didn’t explain what David said to the Jockey, and that the alien didn’t respond. I tried to tell him that that would be impossible to pull off, and it would have been stupid to even try. The reason that the answer to “The meaning of life, the universe, and everything” is 42, is that no writer would take hubris enough to try to give such an answer. It is left up to each individual audience member to imagine why, so we cannot be disappointed if the writer’s stated reason is not as grandiose as the reason our minds create.

Though personally, a realization did hit me a little while after I left the theater. I think I know why the Jockies created mankind, and I think David knows too. “Sometimes to create, you much first destroy.” The Jockies created man so that they could test and improve their bioweapon, the xenomorphs. We were made solely for that ship to find and destroy us later.

Seeking to see a discovery through at great personal cost is a fantastic character motivation. It enables characters to believably do things that no sane person not living in an adventure arc would do. The conflicts and drives of these characters could have made this movie heartwrenching, and they didn’t, and that makes me sad. David, the synthetic, is shown at first happy, seeing his creator talk about him glowingly, then sad when it’s implied that he is just an object. He is self-aware, and if he doesn’t have feelings, he still has desires to be treated a certain way. Humans talk down to him, and he speaks to them in kind. Then we see him acting on hidden motives, personal curiosity, even malice. Perhaps it’s meta and intentional that the most complex character in the movie was the robot.

#prometheus #spoilers
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:48 am

your-ex-lover-is-dead:
Went to go see Prometheus... It left me with so many questions about our existence.

And being high and left with such a big question, this is what I left for katelynamelia to find on her phone in the morning…. Man, the things you think about while high.

“Thought. We are the perfect distance away from the sun to have the climate we do with the ability to have the existence of living things etc. Maybe with the combination of the materials of the stardust, we were just an accident, just maybe a natural cause. Maybe we weren’t put here for any reason or purpose and we don’t have an afterlife or soul or anything. Maybe, as the most developed form of life, we can only ponder such things because we want to believe in something and in reality, we aren’t as significant as we want to believe. We were an accident who only knows how to create and form ideas/theories and the ultimate truth is we simply aren’t significant. Just another cause and effect.

But also, because we are born of stardust, it has to be ‘as above, so below’. The universes energies are our energies thus why astrology makes sense (astro-logic). Which also plays into what I stated already. We were an accident yet our lives still have to play by the rules of the stars/the universe. Maybe the energies we have in us just get released back into the universal system. Where the energies belong!

Nuclear physics. Big bang “theory”. Every element in the periodic table aside from hydrogen is essentially stardust produced and transformed by nuclear fusion from when supernovas explode and clump together with other supernovic explosions.

Also, the FACT of being created from the stars lies in the big bang theory and more specifically to big bang nucleosynthesis. Not giving names, as so many scientists have contributed to it. But through and through, it is scientifically accepted that we are stardust lol.”
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:50 am

msshhhh:
Blitz review: Prometheus

I was braced for the fact this movie was not going to be profoundly moving. Therefore I am suitably impressed.

Favourite things in no particular order:

- David the android / Michael Fassbender

- Vickers the bitch / Charlize Theron

- The visuals

Honestly the best visuals in a long time. Remember when you were a kid watching Lord of the Rings, and you were like holy s$#!!!! the mountains! the waterfalls! well… this is how Prometheus feels. Cinema is pretty much oversaturated with CGI and effects these days that it’s hard to be truly wowed..

IMO Prometheus works because even though each scene is so painstakingly detailed, the images are pared back just a little (metaphorically desaturated by a bit of floating extraterrestrial space mist?), to give the audience a bit of visual breathing space. I dont particularly enjoy a million blinking buttons and blue sparkly aliens and feathered birds and bright green floating islands all thrown constantly at my eyeballs [Avatar et al]. DO YOU? Prometheus lets you see in your own time.

The plotholes and dodgy script don’t bother me particularly (it could be SO much worse). Major gripe comes around halfway through, then it’s like they gave up and just tried to make a really big movie, instead of a really great movie.

Highly rewatchable - recommended.

3.5/5
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:51 am

synapticreactions:
Some spoilers ahead

I don’t think David was running on a particular agenda for Weyland. Clearly, this wasn’t the case in the other Alien films. But remember, Weyland was not around in those films and they took place considerably later. Weyland himself was a bit skeptical. But it’s important to know, he himself said, he came here to find answers so he can further preserve his life. He wanted to extend his own life, not bring alien bioweapons to Earth.

And I’m not saying David wanted to bring alien weapons to Earth, either. But it’s easy to tell David had the mind of a child. Weyland even affectionately considered him a son, and in return, David considered him a fatherly figure. He liked to touch things that didn’t belong to him, and his curiosity, and intelligence, got to the best of him and he probably put the black stuff into Holloway’s drink for fun and to see what would happen to the crew for his own personal entertainment. This is only further explained by his lack of empathy. He clearly just wanted to be like #yolo and “I do what I want.” He even said, “Don’t we all wish our parents were dead sometimes?”
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:52 am

http://serendipitousdreams.tumblr.com/post/24798621446/prometheus

Prometheus
Text
9 hours ago | Tags: Prometheus Movie Review

Alright, now that I’ve finished Mass Effect 3, I’ll actually start doing these again and stop being distracted. I was going to do one for Snow White and the Huntsman, but that was explained in my last rant about ME3, so ONWARDS!

*spoilers ahead*

Short story:
this movie’s pretty great.

Long story:

This movie’s got everything you would expect from a prequel to Aliens. In other words, people getting ripped apart, burned, crushed, etc. Lots of body horror. I’m okay with that (I not-so-secretly enjoy watching people get torn apart).

Also, while David was one of my favorite characters, I didn’t trust him as soon as I saw this trailer:

So I wasn’t surprised at all that David was the one with dubious intents. But I still like him… maybe because I may just have a thing for robots (especially ones that may be evil or ruthless).

Charlize Theron also did a pretty good job here. She was the one character I really liked in Snow White and the Huntsman (maybe because I may just have a thing for sociopaths… >.> GLaDOS is my dream woman). She plays a really good coldhearted bitch. It also wasn’t surprising at all to learn that she was Weyland’s daughter. You could see that coming from a mile away.

Actually, a lot of the storyline was predictable. Weyland coming along to try to best death…

Actually, the revelation that the Engineers were sent to destroy the humans wasn’t exactly predictable… I wouldn’t say I was surprised by it, though. It’s something I would do. That being said, it wasn’t my favorite part of the story. I was just thinking about how awkward it was. It’s like if the Protheans turned out to be the Reapers, not just the Collectors (can you tell I still have Mass Effect on my mind xD).

In my opinion, the best part of the movie was Charlie’s sickness. That was just kinda cool. Finding a tiny wriggling thing in your eye has to be the creepiest thing in the world. It seemed to escalate pretty quickly though, and I don’t understand how he knew that he was going to turn into something that could kill the rest of the crew (I would think that a quarantine room would be good enough in his position). Also, death by flames does not come that quickly (though, he was mostly dead already), and it’s a terrible way to choose to die.

I don’t understand how Charlie being sick leads to Dr. Shaw getting pregnant with an alien. I figured, she would just get infected herself. The alien pregnancy does play off a lot of very adult female fears, though (unplanned pregnancy, complications due to pregnancy, etc). It was a nice change from all the body horror, and, frankly, a bit badass in that Dr. Shaw went through with the surgery while awake (she still had anesthesia, but she was watching).

I guess the only other thing I would like to mention is the fact that, in movies and video games, everyone seems to run parallel to the falling object, and I don’t understand why. Running perpendicular to the long, falling object, will get you out of its path sooner and cost less energy. You are also more likely to survive. When a truck is barreling towards you, you don’t run away from it, you dive out of the f#%@#&! way.

Overall, the plot wasn’t too bad, there was plenty of exploding heads and blood to make me enjoy myself. It may just be the comparison to Snow White and the Huntsman, but I thought this was a pretty good movie. Some parts were needlessly confusing or obviously thrown in for convenience (the geologist that was leading them around earlier was the one that got lost later), but overall, I liked it.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:52 am

http://rezrabbit.tumblr.com/post/24798588438/prometheus-was-amazing

Prometheus Was Amazing

I went in expecting nothing. I abstained from reading reviews or having seen anything but promotional videos.

First I saw a trailer that I cannot find for the life of me find online anywhere, it just showed the digs and then the presentation rather extensively. Then this: Peter Weyland TED 2023 on the web, and trailer 2 at the Avengers previews.

I have everything I wanted but I still want more.

SPOILERS AFTER THE CUT

A not quite so brief dissection of what this mean for the actual story of the Aliens universe and quite possibly the Aliens VS Predators universe. Just me ranting lol.

First off the opening scene is of a Humanoid sacrificing himself.

Was he deserted? Did he choose to stay and father the entirety of our ecosystem?

This is presuming the planet in the opening is prehistoric Earth seeing as the planet Prometheus visits seems to lack the geography as the Opening Planet. If it’s intended to be interpreted like that it’s literally kicking Darwin in the face seeing as humans evolved from the eggs created by this sacrifice into nearly identical specimens of Engineers.

Aliens are of course the “biological weapons” that Weyland wants in the first Alien movie.

Both David and the weapons attempt to forcibly impregnate humans, and can be considered parasites that prey on their creators.

Janek is my second favorite.

The movie was so painfully close to being an actual connection but of course is not considered to be a real member of the Aliens Franchise. But rather off in its own little side story.

I really want to see the scripts badly, the original one made before they decided to focus on the Engineers.

PS As for Aliens vs Predators series it originally started off with the comic crossovers in 1989 by Dark Horse Comics.

Let me mention that certain characters remind me wholly of another movie, Pandora.

PPS

I see Fifield and Milburn shipping in the future. I’m not even going to bother confirming this because I know it exists.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:54 am

misterdrc:

365 Day Movie Challenge: June 9, 2012

Movie: Prometheus (2012)

Director: Ridley Scott

Starring: Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron, Idris Elba,

Guy Pearce, Logan Marshall-Green, Sean Harris, Safe Spall, and Emun Elliott

Plot: A group of explorers travels to a distant planet to discover the origins of human life, but eventually run into some deadly aliens instead.

Review: First of all, I loved this movie. There’s a lot of really neat stuff here. It’s beautiful. There’s a lot of kick-ass aliens, each of which is deadlier than the last. And, there’s great performances (especially by Fassbender). However, I can see how people left the theater a little disappointed, because I feel it a little bit myself. The main reason (in my humble upon) is… it feels very much like the first chapter to a very elaborate story. It’s a lot like HP7.2 or Rise of the Planet of the Apes. We kind of just get the setup. Sure, there’s a little bit of payoff but not much. And, trust me. It’s a really great first chapter, but I don’t think a lot of people were expecting that. So, that’s my warning. Just go in knowing that this is all setup. You’ll enjoy it a lot more then.

Can’t wait for the sequel. Please announce it soon, Fox.

Grade: A-
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:56 am

he-peoples-poet:
Prometheus!
I got back from the theater a little while ago, where I went to see Prometheus in 3D in IMAX. Without giving away any spoilers, here’s what I think of the film:

It’s awesome! Really great.
It was disturbing in some scenes, so have a tough stomach if you are planning to go.
I suggest seeing it in 3D IMAX. You really get the full experience that way. It’s a beautiful film, and seeing it in 3D allows you to really feel like you’re there.
Michael Fassbender was beautiful. Seeing him in 3D made my little heart swirl with merry butterflies. And beauty aside, he’s a wonderful actor.
It’s a well-crafted film visually. A lot of the film is computerized, but it looks state-of-the-art in technology. It all looks and feels very real, and it’s a beautifully designed film.
It’s entertaining, it’s intense, and if you think you might want to see it, go see it!

So there you go! That’s what I think of Prometheus.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:57 am

gummycthulhu:
Explaining Prometheus' "Plot Holes" *Spoiler Free*

Not that I thought the movie was perfect (cause it wasn’t) but I’ve watched and read a lot of negative reviews from people that don’t seem to understand what the movie IS and ISN’T:

If you go into Prometheus thinking it’s a prequel (as in it happens sometime before “Alien” and helps spawn the events that happen in the “Alien” movie) you’re going to be wrong and disappointed.

R.S has made it clear many times the movie is not intended to be a direct prequel.

This isn’t a “prequel” like the Star Wars Prequels — where the movies are intended to show what happened directly before A New Hope, and how things got the way they were in the 4/5/6th Star Wars movies. It’s only a “prequel” in the sense that the events in Prometheus happened before the events in Alien time-frame wise, but they’re a totally independent story.

I hate to say it’s sorta like how Steven King bases his books: All the stories he writes about happen in the same Universe, hell even the same town sometimes, but while they may have things in common (like the same towns, places, people, etc) they each are their own stories and happen at different times. Or think of it as Batman and Superman: They both happen in the same world, but they both have their own stories even though they share the same characters/locations etc.. from time to time.

Prometheus is suppose to be its own movie separate from the aliens franchise that just has “nods” towards the xenomorphs. It does not directly explain where they came from or how they came to be, only that their presents and how they came to be is *there*. The movie doesn’t even take place on the same planet as the planet in the original Alien movie — which helps explain a non-existent “plot hole” at the end of the movie that a lot of people seem to be nit picking on when it comes to continuity between films. You can do online searches to actually see the planets number names as I can’t think of them offhand.

So please, if you go into this movie don’t expect “prequel”, or it to have the exact origin of the xenomorphs in it. If you do, you’re going to hate it. Instead, go into it with the idea that it is its own story that just happens to have the Alien movie associated with it.

On that note: The movie wasn’t as good as I had hoped. It was a fun movie, but I just don’t think it was the masterpiece it was promoted to be. You can tell the Lost writers had their hands all in it — too many questions left, too many “what?” and “why?” moments.

A good movie should leave you questioning and wanting more, however, it shouldn’t leave you with the equivalent of a big question mark “?” on the screen. A good movie should make you think and hypothesize, not go “what the f&#!?” I just think Prometheus has more “what the f&#!, why?” moments simply for the sake of having to be all mysterious and deep…woooOOooo. I don’t like mind fucks simply for the sake of mind fucks.

Also, Ridley Scott was a dumb f&#! for not making this an actual direct prequel to the alien movie. He did this to himself. Everyone expected Prometheus to be directly preceding the Alien film. He should have realized it would be hard to tie in a totally different movie with the Alien franchise without people being disappointed and confused when continuity wasn’t there — simply because he didn’t have to have continuity if the events didn’t directly cause or effect the events IN the Alien movie. It pretty much just gave him and his writers leeway to make-up and do whatever the hell they wanted without any guidelines or rules because they can pull the “Oh, not a prequel just related” card.

The movie has no rules — and it shows. It’s just all over the place.

Still a fun watch though. Please, go see it — pay for a matinee ticket so it’s cheaper. Come up with your own opinions and theories. =)
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:58 am

hyaenid:
Prometheus

(mild spoilers maybe?)

I saw it! It was good and I enjoyed it, but it was kind of unsatisfying — Brad and I can’t decide if it’s missing something or there’s just too much stuff (specifically where they go back with that one guy, I think they could have cut that), but either way it’s not as good as Alien and Aliens.

I particularly enjoyed the unreasonably awesome female lead and her eminently practical response to a very bad situation. I did not so much enjoy the truly silly science team — I don’t know if there’s a handbook to contact with strange new alien lifeforms, but I’m pretty sure “poke it with a stick! Very Happy” is not included.

Also, holy god if you have issues with pregnancy or surgery, wow this is totally not a good movie for you to see! I only have teeny bitty problems with pregnancy and surgery doesn’t particularly bother me and I was physically incapable of watching part of it. Like, it’s the Aliens universe, body horror is everywhere, but this was extra rough.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:03 pm

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html

Prometheus Unbound: What The Movie Was Actually About
This blogpost contains many and frequent spoilers for Prometheus, so if you're planning on seeing it, I recommend you don't spoil yourself.

Prometheus contains such a huge amount of mythic resonance that it effectively obscures a more conventional plot. I'd like to draw your attention to the use of motifs and callbacks in the film that not only enrich it, but offer possible hints as to what was going on in otherwise confusing scenes.

Let's begin with the eponymous titan himself, Prometheus. He was a wise and benevolent entity who created mankind in the first place, forming the first humans from clay. The Gods were more or less okay with that, until Prometheus gave them fire. This was a big no-no, as fire was supposed to be the exclusive property of the Gods. As punishment, Prometheus was chained to a rock and condemned to have his liver ripped out and eaten every day by an eagle. (His liver magically grew back, in case you were wondering.)

Fix that image in your mind, please: the giver of life, with his abdomen torn open. We'll be coming back to it many times in the course of this article.

The ethos of the titan Prometheus is one of willing and necessary sacrifice for life's sake. That's a pattern we see replicated throughout the ancient world. J G Frazer wrote his lengthy anthropological study, The Golden Bough, around the idea of the Dying God - a lifegiver who voluntarily dies for the sake of the people. It was incumbent upon the King to die at the right and proper time, because that was what heaven demanded, and fertility would not ensue if he did not do his royal duty of dying.

Now, consider the opening sequence of Prometheus. We fly over a spectacular vista, which may or may not be primordial Earth. According to Ridley Scott, it doesn't matter. A lone Engineer at the top of a waterfall goes through a strange ritual, drinking from a cup of black goo that causes his body to disintegrate into the building blocks of life. We see the fragments of his body falling into the river, twirling and spiralling into DNA helices.

Ridley Scott has this to say about the scene: 'That could be a planet anywhere. All he’s doing is acting as a gardener in space. And the plant life, in fact, is the disintegration of himself. If you parallel that idea with other sacrificial elements in history – which are clearly illustrated with the Mayans and the Incas – he would live for one year as a prince, and at the end of that year, he would be taken and donated to the gods in hopes of improving what might happen next year, be it with crops or weather, etcetera.'

Can we find a God in human history who creates plant life through his own death, and who is associated with a river? It's not difficult to find several, but the most obvious candidate is Osiris, the epitome of all the Frazerian 'Dying Gods'.

And we wouldn't be amiss in seeing the first of the movie's many Christian allegories in this scene, either. The Engineer removes his cloak before the ceremony, and hesitates before drinking the cupful of genetic solvent; he may well have been thinking 'If it be Thy will, let this cup pass from me.'

So, we know something about the Engineers, a founding principle laid down in the very first scene: acceptance of death, up to and including self-sacrifice, is right and proper in the creation of life. Prometheus, Osiris, John Barleycorn, and of course the Jesus of Christianity are all supposed to embody this same principle. It is held up as one of the most enduring human concepts of what it means to be 'good'.

Seen in this light, the perplexing obscurity of the rest of the film yields to an examination of the interwoven themes of sacrifice, creation, and preservation of life. We also discover, through hints, exactly what the nature of the clash between the Engineers and humanity entailed.

The crew of the Prometheus discover an ancient chamber, presided over by a brooding solemn face, in which urns of the same black substance are kept. A mural on the wall presents an image which, if you did as I asked earlier on, you will recognise instantly: the lifegiver with his abdomen torn open. Go and look at it here to refresh your memory. Note the serenity on the Engineer's face here.

And there's another mural there, one which shows a familiar xenomorph-like figure. This is the Destroyer who mirrors the Creator, I think - the avatar of supremely selfish life, devouring and destroying others purely to preserve itself. As Ash puts it: 'a survivor, unclouded by conscience, remorse or delusions of morality.'

Through Shaw and Holloway's investigations, we learn that the Engineers not only created human life, they supervised our development. (How else are we to explain the numerous images of Engineers in primitive art, complete with star diagram showing us the way to find them?) We have to assume, then, that for a good few hundred thousand years, they were pretty happy with us. They could have destroyed us at any time, but instead, they effectively invited us over; the big pointy finger seems to be saying 'Hey, guys, when you're grown up enough to develop space travel, come see us.' Until something changed, something which not only messed up our relationship with them but caused their installation on LV-223 to be almost entirely wiped out.

From the Engineers' perspective, so long as humans retained that notion of self-sacrifice as central, we weren't entirely beyond redemption. But we went and screwed it all up, and the film hints at when, if not why: the Engineers at the base died two thousand years ago. That suggests that the event that turned them against us and led to the huge piles of dead Engineers lying about was one and the same event. We did something very, very bad, and somehow the consequences of that dreadful act accompanied the Engineers back to LV-223 and massacred them.

If you have uneasy suspicions about what 'a bad thing approximately 2,000 years ago' might be, then let me reassure you that you are right. An astonishing excerpt from the Movies.com interview with Ridley Scott:

Movies.com: We had heard it was scripted that the Engineers were targeting our planet for destruction because we had crucified one of their representatives, and that Jesus Christ might have been an alien. Was that ever considered?

Ridley Scott: We definitely did, and then we thought it was a little too on the nose. But if you look at it as an “our children are misbehaving down there” scenario, there are moments where it looks like we’ve gone out of control, running around with armor and skirts, which of course would be the Roman Empire. And they were given a long run. A thousand years before their disintegration actually started to happen. And you can say, "Let's send down one more of our emissaries to see if he can stop it." Guess what? They crucified him.

Yeah. The reason the Engineers don't like us any more is that they made us a Space Jesus, and we broke him. Reader, that's not me pulling wild ideas out of my arse. That's RIDLEY SCOTT.

So, imagine poor crucified Jesus, a fresh spear wound in his side. Oh, hey, there's the 'lifegiver with his abdomen torn open' motif again. That's three times now: Prometheus, Engineer mural, Jesus Christ. And I don't think I have to mention the 'sacrifice in the interest of giving life' bit again, do I? Everyone on the same page? Good.

So how did our (in the context of the film) terrible murderous act of crucifixion end up wiping out all but one of the Engineers back on LV-223? Presumably through the black slime, which evidently models its behaviour on the user's mental state. Create unselfishly, accepting self-destruction as the cost, and the black stuff engenders fertile life. But expose the potent black slimy stuff to the thoughts and emotions of flawed humanity, and 'the sleep of reason produces monsters'. We never see the threat that the Engineers were fleeing from, we never see them killed other than accidentally (decapitation by door), and we see no remaining trace of whatever killed them. Either it left a long time ago, or it reverted to inert black slime, waiting for a human mind to reactivate it.

The black slime reacts to the nature and intent of the being that wields it, and the humans in the film didn't even know that they WERE wielding it. That's why it remained completely inert in David's presence, and why he needed a human proxy in order to use the stuff to create anything. The black goo could read no emotion or intent from him, because he was an android.

Shaw's comment when the urn chamber is entered - 'we've changed the atmosphere in the room' - is deceptively informative. The psychic atmosphere has changed, because humans - tainted, Space Jesus-killing humans - are present. The slime begins to engender new life, drawing not from a self-sacrificing Engineer but from human hunger for knowledge, for more life, for more everything. Little wonder, then, that it takes serpent-like form. The symbolism of a corrupting serpent, turning men into beasts, is pretty unmistakeable.

Refusal to accept death is anathema to the Engineers. Right from the first scene, we learned their code of willing self-sacrifice in accord with a greater purpose. When the severed Engineer head is temporarily brought back to life, its expression registers horror and disgust. Cinemagoers are confused when the head explodes, because it's not clear why it should have done so. Perhaps the Engineer wanted to die again, to undo the tainted human agenda of new life without sacrifice.

But some humans do act in ways the Engineers might have grudgingly admired. Take Holloway, Shaw's lover, who impregnates her barren womb with his black slime riddled semen before realising he is being transformed into something Other. Unlike the hapless geologist and botanist left behind in the chamber, who only want to stay alive, Holloway willingly embraces death. He all but invites Meredith Vickers to kill him, and it's surely significant that she does so using fire, the other gift Prometheus gave to man besides his life.

The 'Caesarean' scene is central to the film's themes of creation, sacrifice, and giving life. Shaw has discovered she's pregnant with something non-human and sets the autodoc to slice it out of her. She lies there screaming, a gaping wound in her stomach, while her tentacled alien child thrashes and squeals in the clamp above her and OH HEY IT'S THE LIFEGIVER WITH HER ABDOMEN TORN OPEN. How many times has that image come up now? Four, I make it. (We're not done yet.)

And she doesn't kill it. And she calls the procedure a 'caesarean' instead of an 'abortion'.

(I'm not even going to begin to explore the pro-choice versus forced birth implications of that scene. I don't think they're clear, and I'm not entirely comfortable doing so. Let's just say that her unwanted offspring turning out to be her salvation is possibly problematic from a feminist standpoint and leave it there for now.)

Here's where the Christian allegories really come through. The day of this strange birth just happens to be Christmas Day. And this is a 'virgin birth' of sorts, although a dark and twisted one, because Shaw couldn't possibly be pregnant. And Shaw's the crucifix-wearing Christian of the crew. We may well ask, echoing Yeats: what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches towards LV-223 to be born?

Consider the scene where David tells Shaw that she's pregnant, and tell me that's not a riff on the Annunciation. The calm, graciously angelic android delivering the news, the pious mother who insists she can't possibly be pregnant, the wry declaration that it's no ordinary child... yeah, we've seen this before.

'And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God. And, behold, thy cousin Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age: and this is the sixth month with her, who was called barren.'

A barren woman called Elizabeth, made pregnant by 'God'? Subtle, Ridley.

Anyway. If it weren't already clear enough that the central theme of the film is 'I suffer and die so that others may live' versus 'you suffer and die so that I may live' writ extremely large, Meredith Vickers helpfully spells it out:

'A king has his reign, and then he dies. It's inevitable.'

Vickers is not just speaking out of personal frustration here, though that's obviously one level of it. She wants her father out of the way, so she can finally come in to her inheritance. It's insult enough that Weyland describes the android David as 'the closest thing I have to a son', as if only a male heir was of any worth; his obstinate refusal to accept death is a slap in her face.

Weyland, preserved by his wealth and the technology it can buy, has lived far, far longer than his rightful time. A ghoulish, wizened creature who looks neither old nor young, he reminds me of Slough Feg, the decaying tyrant from the Slaine series in British comic 2000AD. In Slaine, an ancient (and by now familiar to you, dear reader, or so I would hope) Celtic law decrees that the King has to be ritually and willingly sacrificed at the end of his appointed time, for the good of the land and the people. Slough Feg refused to die, and became a rotting horror, the embodiment of evil.

The image of the sorcerer who refuses to accept rightful death is fundamental: it even forms a part of some occult philosophy. In Crowley's system, the magician who refuses to accept the bitter cup of Babalon and undergo dissolution of his individual ego in the Great Sea (remember that opening scene?) becomes an ossified, corrupted entity called a 'Black Brother' who can create no new life, and lives on as a sterile, emasculated husk.

With all this in mind, we can better understand the climactic scene in which the withered Weyland confronts the last surviving Engineer. See it from the Engineer's perspective. Two thousand years ago, humanity not only murdered the Engineers' emissary, it infected the Engineers' life-creating fluid with its own tainted selfish nature, creating monsters. And now, after so long, here humanity is, presumptuously accepting a long-overdue invitation, and even reawakening (and corrupting all over again) the life fluid.

And who has humanity chosen to represent them? A self-centred, self-satisfied narcissist who revels in his own artificially extended life, who speaks through the medium of a merely mechanical offspring. Humanity couldn't have chosen a worse ambassador.

It's hardly surprising that the Engineer reacts with contempt and disgust, ripping David's head off and battering Weyland to death with it. The subtext is bitter and ironic: you caused us to die at the hands of our own creation, so I am going to kill you with YOUR own creation, albeit in a crude and bludgeoning way.

The only way to save humanity is through self-sacrifice, and this is exactly what the captain (and his two oddly complacent co-pilots) opt to do. They crash the Prometheus into the Engineer's ship, giving up their lives in order to save others. Their willing self-sacrifice stands alongside Holloway's and the Engineer's from the opening sequence; by now, the film has racked up no less than five self-sacrificing gestures (six if we consider the exploding Engineer head).

Meredith Vickers, of course, has no interest in self-sacrifice. Like her father, she wants to keep herself alive, and so she ejects and lands on the planet's surface. With the surviving cast now down to Vickers and Shaw, we witness Vickers's rather silly death as the Engineer ship rolls over and crushes her, due to a sudden inability on her part to run sideways. Perhaps that's the point; perhaps the film is saying her view is blinkered, and ultimately that kills her. But I doubt it. Sometimes a daft death is just a daft death.

Finally, in the squidgy ending scenes of the film, the wrathful Engineer conveniently meets its death at the tentacles of Shaw's alien child, now somehow grown huge. But it's not just a death; there's obscene life being created here, too. The (in the Engineers' eyes) horrific human impulse to sacrifice others in order to survive has taken on flesh. The Engineer's body bursts open - blah blah lifegiver blah blah abdomen ripped apart hey we're up to five now - and the proto-Alien that emerges is the very image of the creature from the mural.

On the face of it, it seems absurd to suggest that the genesis of the Alien xenomorph ultimately lies in the grotesque human act of crucifying the Space Jockeys' emissary to Israel in four B.C., but that's what Ridley Scott proposes. It seems equally insane to propose that Prometheus is fundamentally about the clash between acceptance of death as a condition of creating/sustaining life versus clinging on to life at the expense of others, but the repeated, insistent use of motifs and themes bears this out.

As a closing point, let me draw your attention to a very different strand of symbolism that runs through Prometheus: the British science fiction show Doctor Who. In the 1970s episode 'The Daemons', an ancient mound is opened up, leading to an encounter with a gigantic being who proves to be an alien responsible for having guided mankind's development, and who now views mankind as a failed experiment that must be destroyed. The Engineers are seen tootling on flutes, in exactly the same way that the second Doctor does. The Third Doctor had an companion whose name was Liz Shaw, the same name as the protagonist of Prometheus. As with anything else in the film, it could all be coincidental; but knowing Ridley Scott, it doesn't seem very likely.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:04 pm

http://redcigar.tumblr.com/post/24795296335/yet-another-spoilery-question-about-prometheus

Yet another (spoilery) question about ‘Prometheus’

In the tomb/statue hall they found with the frescos on the roof, there was that carved metal wall which very clearly had a depiction of an Alien Queen/Alien/Face Huggers as we know them, but the impression I got from the film was that the Engineers were in the process of creating the Aliens, as seen by their unrecognisable form in those urns. Also at the end when the foetus alien impregnates the dead Engineer, and we see a more recognisable Alien emerge, but it is still noticeably different i.e., it is still in the evolutionary phase towards what will become the aliens that we know from the franchise. (To the people saying that this isn’t a prequel, I am judging you).

So. My question is. If the Engineers were the ones developing the Aliens in order to wipe out the human race, how did they already have a mural of the Alien Queen/Alien as they are in their final evolutionary manifestation?
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:05 pm

http://river-valley-review.tumblr.com/post/24795246387/welcome-back-to-your-world-ridley-scott

Welcome back to your world, Ridley Scott

What a world Ridley Scott has created. The world was further brillianced (yes I just made that word up) by James Cameron in “Aliens.”

The “Alien” franchise has had more downs than ups despite an amazing first two movies. Other miserable sequels included “Alien3“ and “Alien: Resurrection.” Merging the Alien and Predator universes wasn’t a bad idea, but the way it was handled was a debacle with “Aliens Vs Predators” and “AVP: Requiem.”

So with only two good movies to its name, the “Alien” franchise has been doing rather poorly quality wise (though now financially). Before I sat down to watch “Prometheus,” though, I was reminded of a situation which cast a light of hope on the movie; two lights of hope, actually.

First, the Predator franchise suffered at the hands of “Predator 2” and the AVP movies. Then, along came a nice new addition to the franchise called, “Predators” (homage to the second film in the Alien franchise, “Aliens”).

It was a decent flick, and worked to revitalize the series. So, could it be possible that this “prequel” of sorts to the “Alien” franchise could breath new life into the series? It should be noted that director Ridley Scott has already said this film served as an indirect prequel. That, although it is not directly related to the “Alien” franchise, it will share strands of its DNA.

Characters:

To be fair, “Prometheus” has a rather large cast. At some points through the movie, one almost has to think of the cast in order of “who dies next.” “Prometheus” has a crew of 17, and with a crew that large, most of the cast is just going to be background run-of-the-mill stock spacemen. That doesn’t make the background characters bad, it just means they did their job.

Two of the background characters in particular, Fifield and Milburn a geologist and biologist are probably the most memorable. They’re halfway between stock characters and main characters. The geologist was a tad more developed than the biologist, but neither provided a bad background performance.

The captain of the Prometheus ship (named Captain Janek, who is the token black guy in every sense of the word in this film) and his left and right hand men serve their purpose. They’re just enjoyable enough to be remembered but not too large to suck energy from the main cast.

The character Vickers (who coincidentally played the Dark Queen in the recent film “Snow White and the Huntsman”) is probably the most boring and problematic character. She plays a bitter employee of the Weyland Corporation, who funded the ship’s expedition in the first place.

She’s such a boring and bitter character throughout the film, and she doesn’t show much, if any, emotion. There’s no development of her character, and when her ultimate fate was revealed, my reaction was, “Meh.”

Vickers has good reason to be bitter in the film (I guess), but that isn’t enough. It isn’t enough to me to know why she’s bitter (although it is better than me not knowing why she’s such a bitter character). I need to see her character change, evolve, and develop in some way.

It’s the complete opposite situation for the main character, Elizabeth Shaw. She is played brilliantly by Noomi Rapace. Ridley Scott is trying to invent another Ripley character from the original “Alien” quadrilogy. He succeeds in doing this by inventing a kickass heroine that nobody sees coming.

Shaw is a slightly different breed of kickass than Ripley was though. Ripley was amazing because of everything she fought and survived. She went toe to toe with the Alien creatures several times in combat scenarios.

Shaw is kickass, in that, she survives so much physical trauma and just keeps going. She’s this soft fragile girl (much more soft than Ripley was in the first “Alien” film), and she’s pushed to her breaking point and beyond in “Prometheus.” The amount of physical trauma she endures (which causes much cringing in the audience) is a real testament to her character.

I guess to be more correct with my terms, Ripley is more kickass and Shaw is more badass. Neither girl can be stopped, and the more that is thrown at them, the more they just keep coming.

The android in the movie (because every “Alien” movie has to have one) is named David, and he’s a bit of a mystery to me. Sometimes he seems like a villain, and other times he just seems too mysterious or ignorant to be an intentional villain. It’s almost like the writers couldn’t figure out whether they wanted him to be good or bad (because he bounces back and forth with no definite conclusions). The result is kind of a half baked character.

Despite that, the actor that plays him (Michael Fassbender) gives a spectacular performance. That helps to save the character and keep him from seeming too half baked.

Shaw’s love interest is another problem for me. He’s the last character I want to mention, and I really only want to talk about him briefly. He’s really just a romantic interest in this movie. I mean, he doesn’t contribute much to the team (even though he and Shaw are supposed to be the TWO that decoded the map and got the Prometheus ship to the planet, he really seems to do little more than just have sex with Shaw and (spoiler) get killed. I didn’t really mind when they killed him off. Again, my reaction was, “Meh.”

He really was swallowed by Shaw’s presence in this movie, and that’s largely due to the fact that Ridley Scott’s heroines (in the “Alien” franchise) just don’t get love interests. They don’t handle sharing the spotlight well with a romantic counterpart. I guess it goes back to bad writing for that character (because he wasn’t a bad actor by any means).

The characters category for “Prometheus” earns 2/3 stars (and thank Shaw for those 2 stars).

Plot:

The story for this film really got me thinking about visiting other worlds, and while a bit of that can be credited to the visuals (which will be the next category), this film just had a great sense of placement and setting.

In terms of plot, fans of the “Alien” franchise will enjoy this film more than the casual movie goer. Try as he may, Ridley Scott just can’t write this film off as an “adjacent prequel.” This is the prequel to the “Alien” franchise try as he may to separate it. That’s what happens when you create something as powerful as “Alien.”

I guess the plot can stand on its own okay, but it really does shine brightest when looked through the lens of the “Alien” series.

It was odd because I expected a little more horror from this movie like the original “Alien” had in it, but I just didn’t get much horror out of it.

That isn’t a bad thing, but I have to say that it did surprise me.

Some other reviewers seemed discontent with the ending because they said there were just too many questions that didn’t get answered.

I too wish the ending had gone a slightly different way, but for the most part, I felt like the film wrapped up nicely.

The ending wasn’t bad, it just wasn’t as good as I figured it could have been, and story wise I really wish it’d have gone in a slightly different direction. Without spoiling too much, I’ll just say that Shaw doesn’t get back to earth, and that kind of disappointed me.

One thing I was most satisfied with was the missing puzzle piece to the origin of the Alien species. I was so happy to finally figured out where the first one came from. It may seem like a small victory, but for an “Alien” fan like myself, it’s a huge victory just to see where those things came from.

The pacing of the story was nicely done, and I really can’t say that I have too many complaints with the plot other than I wish there was about 20% more Alien in this film.

The plot category for this film gets 2/3 stars.

Visuals/Effects:

This world looked amazing. I physically wanted to walk on the planet this was set on. I had the largest desire to just get on a space ship and find some alien world capable of sustaining life to explore.

Prometheus (the ship) also looked really nice. The graphics were impressive enough (though they pale in comparison to the setting of the planet itself).

The design of the “Engineers” (the aliens that created humanity) was… a little basic. Overall, I was kind of disappointed with their looks. I guess I expected something a little less humanoid.

When it comes down to it, I was relieved with the lighting of this movie, and that sounds like an odd thing to compliment, but the lighting in AVP was so horrible, that I had to really think about what I was looking at sometimes. The film was just too dark and grainy.

Again though, the thing I most fell in love with was the alien planet. I’d have been content to just have the characters march around the planet and search for the engineers a little longer, just so we could have seen more of it.

The Visuals/Effects category gets 2.5/3 stars.

Is this film worth seeing in theaters?

I’m torn on this category because I’m a huge fan of the “Alien” series. I’ve seen every “Alien” movie, and have my gripes, compliments, and quirks with all of them.

Honestly, I don’t know if someone who isn’t a fan of “Alien” will enjoy this movie as much. Someone who just wants to go watch a stand-alone science fiction movie may enjoy this, they may not. It really is hard for me to say. It is an entertaining film, but again, I especially enjoyed it because it’s the first good entry in the “Alien” franchise since 1986.

The is this film worth seeing in theaters category gets 0.5/1 stars.

Averaging all the scores of every category together, “Prometheus” earns 7/10 stars.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:08 pm

shadowlillium:

found an answer that explains this whole movie

”My take on the story: Engineers create humans, but are unhappy with them. Engineers can create more Engineers by giving humans the strange black liquid that comes from the pods. Once transformed, Engineer/humans mate with humans, creating the squid-like vector that uses humans as a growth medium for the Alien. The original Engineers had planned to travel to Earth with the black liquid, transform some humans, and get them to mate, creating Aliens and thus destroying humanity while increasing the population of Engineers. Unfortunately, they fell victim to their own creations before they were able to make the trip to Earth. This is what the crew of the Nostromo was unknowingly searching for in the original Alien. “
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:09 pm

http://palalife.tumblr.com/post/24793772264/prometheus-proper-thoughts-no-spoiler-until-under

Saturday, June 9, 2012
Prometheus (proper thoughts, no spoiler until under cut)

Phew it takes time to calm myself down XD

Just a note, I might post some spoiler fanart soon, it will be tagged #prometheus and #spoiler.

Bear in mind that this comes from a person who is not an avid fan of Aliens franchise (just watched the first original Alien weeks before), and this is actually my first time seeing a possibly-have-gross-element-alien-invasion-sci-fi-thriller type of movie in theater.

For me, it is a good and enjoyable movie! The graphics and visual effects are stunning, and there are some cool concept of technology introduced. Not much Alien appearance, and they are not the scariest part of the film. There are some parts that I don’t really understand, but not too confused to the point that I just don’t get the entire movie.

The actors are great. Michael Fassbender is SO GOOD and maybe I am bias that I am attached to David before I see it, but he really pulls it off! Charlize Theron is amazing too. I don’t really have feeling for Noomi Rapace but her acting is pretty good too!

Overall I like it and will recommend the movie! Very Happy

Not too scary to the point that you don’t feel like eating afterwards, and I think I can still sleep soundly tonight!

Spoiler stuff undercut!

-DAVID. Y U SO CUTE

-“David, don’t touch—” and then he touches it. “David, don’t open—” and then he opens it. LOL He is just so adorable and I love him so much…. He tries so hard to be human, but he hurts so easily when people pointed out that he isn’t one. I just want to give him a hug. My friend was wondering how he does not have a soul, and yet he is still curious in everything. He is just like a child.

-Other than David, is it like a thing where people are just really stupid and unaware in a sci-fi thriller where even though they are scholars on science expedition, THEY TOUCH THINGS? I guess it is just to easier to kill them. :/

-The story about the Engineers…I don’t really get it (or missed it XDrz) I got kind of confused on how the alien creature grew from Dr. Shaw’s is attacking the Engineers (and thus the birth of original alien)

-HOLY s$#! THAT caesarean scene is the scariest my friend and I were half covering our eyes XDrzlll I think we are the only person who had any reaction in the entire theater, to the point that a middle aged guy who sat closed to us told us “It’s okay now” LOL

-What does David said to the Engineers? But I guess that’s an unanwsered question Razz

-Someone told me it will be a trilogy, that’s why there are so many questions…not sure how I feel, but not all films aim to answer every single question, I’ll be fine without answer XD. I enjoy being able to discuss and guess!

-But if they are going to have sequels, CAN I HAVE DAVID 9—I mean, it will be Christmas for fandom if they cast James McAvoy as the next andriod lol (probably not going to happen)

-Can I have a David please. Just a head will be okay too.
Posted at 9:29 PM
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:12 pm

wippernaut:

It’s NOT a prequel to Alien… Stop saying there’s plot holes because it’s not a God damn prequel to Alien! This movie is science fiction and takes place in the future so of course there’s going to be “plot holes”.

“Some of the characters are very immature.” You seriously have not seen Aliens then… Marines don’t act like that, I’m from a military family with members in the Army and Marines, my step father was a Staff Sargent while in the Marines. Cut the immature bullshit, what makes you think all scientist are mature anyway? Hell even smart, sure they maybe highly intelligent in their field of work, but in life?…

“Some of the acting is terrible.” Again you must of not watched Aliens, hell even some of Alien. No the acting isn’t terrible, but some of the actors and actresses were not good like in Prometheus.

“It’s like a remake of AVP.” f&#! YOU! f&#! you for comparing that s$#! movie to Prometheus since AVP is originally a kickass comic which the movie debauched.

It’s not a horror movie! Yes it’s partially a body horror movie but it’s mainly a scifi adventure movie. God damn FOX threw so many people off with the trailer making people think it’s a horror movie.

“The music is terrible and doesn’t fit the movie.” Again it’s not a damn horror movie! It’s more of an adventure movie and I think the score is great. Like Alien, the trailer score is different from the actual movie score.

“There’s like no character development.” Where the hell is the character development in Alien and Aliens? Sorry to keep on comparing Prometheus to those two movies but people consider them to be classics and ignore the flaws which they harshly criticize in Prometheus…
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:13 pm

cynthiavance:
Prometheus

This sums up my thoughts to a ‘t’.

“Honestly… the people who are saying they don’t like Prometheus because of plot holes, a lack of meaning or message and character development, just aren’t getting it.

If you feel like there’s plot holes, maybe you should watch it again and pay more attention. Unanswered questions do not equal plot holes. And character development is largely up to the viewer, but I, personally, found the characters and actors fascinating. And people know this, I am NOT a Fassbender fan, far from it — but his job as David 8 was absolutely mesmerizing.

And movies/stories never need a ‘moral of the story’ to be a good movie. Now I’m not saying movies should be fruitless (and that is okay once in a while) but to say that Prometheus had no real message or thought put into it because it has no ‘moral of the story’ is ignorant.

The thing is with Prometheus it is largely based/inspired on mythology and holds a lot of religious parallels — if you can’t see them and their motifs, you’re going to hate it. But they’re what make the movie beautiful and realistic, in a sense. They’re the building blocks of the movie and I think they portray their part beautifully and Ridley, and the rest of the production crew did a fantastic job. There is meaning in the movie, but maybe not a life lesson. But when are life lessons mandatory? It is a film that has to say something, and that something is an idea we should think about.”

- http://synapticreactions.tumblr.com/
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:13 pm

gunsandrobots:

Prometheus was a hell of a way to recharge the Alien Series. If only more filmmakers realized a pre/sequel or full reboot isn’t always the way to go… Although it fell in some horror cliches at times, it perfectly hit nerve endings that I forgot were there since the days I used to watch Alien, Aliens, and Blade Runner over and over on rough VHS copies. Also, if I start talking about the beautiful production design, I will fill your entire tumblr feed.

Don’t get me wrong, this is not on the level of the best scifi/horror films made since Alien pretty much defined the genre, but as David says “great things have small beginnings.” Damon and Ridley retraced the ground work of what make these movies so wonderful, and now get to play in the world they created. There are masterful connections to the story of Alien and Aliens if you are smart in catching them, in such a way that now those original movies are forever improved, but not changed.

It is pretty clear to me that the 90’s and 2000’s were filled with sequels and reboots that just didn’t understand that it is not always the characters and story that can make great scifi and horror, its defining a bunch of rules and atmosphere and then playing in that sandbox. If you look at Star Trek, Predators, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, The Avengers, and Prometheus, I think filmmakers and studios are starting to get it.

I’m just going to pretend Ridley Scott’s filmography is Alien, Blade Runner, Legend, then he took a bunch of time off and made Prometheus.

ps - Charlize Theron in a space suit should be in all movies. all.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:14 pm

effervescentexplosion:
We saw Prometheus.

Here are my non-spoileriffic thoughts about it.

First, Elizabeth Shaw is a Grade A Badass. And I liked her because she’s not badass in a fearless femme fatale kind of way, but in a terrified and whimpering “but I’m going to do this because there’s no one else to” kind of way.

Ok, so leaving that. I’m not going to call it a bad movie, but I’m not going to call it great either. The thing is, there were potentially interesting characters they could have explored but didn’t. There were definitely interesting themes they could have explored but didn’t. They had interesting things to say about creation, not only about how we feel about our creators but also how they feel about us. About how what we feel and believe about the people/beings that created us can have a great influence on our lives and can set us apart from the others. And all that’s pretty compelling and I would have loved to watch a movie about it. Unfortunately, they just kind of touched on that stuff and had a couple awkward scenes that screamed “Daddy Issues” at you until the movie was sure you got the point.

The last scene was completely unnecessary. You knew it tied in to other things if you know anything about the universe the movie exists in and if you were paying attention. And if you don’t know anything about it and you weren’t paying close attention then you wouldn’t have missed anything. The tie-in felt forced even though I knew it was coming.

I was really interested in what was happening, but I feel like I watched half a movie.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:16 pm

http://flamingofingers.tumblr.com/post/24791343503/so-i-saw-prometheus-today

Jun 9 '12

So I saw Prometheus today.

It’s an amazing movie, and if you liked the Alien movies you have to go see it. It’s not an exact prequel, I believe I read somewhere they had to make a few changes due to copyright law, but is none the less amazing, and has the same wonderful creepy H.R. Geiger feel to it. Reminded me a bit of Aliens, and it was absolutely lovely.

The acting was phenomenal, Michael Fassbender was perfect beyond words, and the movie maintained a good air of horror without the ridiculous constant cheapshots you see in most horror movies today.

-SPOILERS BEYOND THIS POINT-

Literally my only complaint was our lovely heroine surviving losing such a massive amount of blood loss and injecting enough -what I’m assuming is- morphine to knock out an elephant. It was really just kind of pushing it but whatever the rest of the movie is f#%@#&! great.

There are a lot of people commenting on the phallic imagery. All I have to say to that is you are obviously unfamiliar with Geigers work hahaha.

And anyone who gets mad about David’s actions, which I’ve seen a lot of unfortunately (some asshat even started on the 3 laws of robotics at some point. WRONG MOVIE) is kind of missing the point. He is a f#%@#&! robot who is simply following Waylands orders. He isn’t being ‘mean’, he is doing what he was told. I actually found him to be something of a sympathetic villain, the subtle comments on him not being human and just the look he gets jesus christ. He’s a fascinating character, and Michael plays the role of a robot so well holy s$#!. His entire performance right down to his mannerisms were utterly flawless. He just seems so inhuman and still comes across as sympathetic, and even somewhat terrifying at times. Perf.

Our lead actress was decent, but her character was just kind of… blah… for me. I don’t even remember her name if that tells you anything haha. She’s a decent lead character, but just lacked any interesting traits. Despite her parents and her weird ‘I cant have a baby weh’ thing she’s just entirely unsympathetic. She whines unnecessarily, and when she legitimately has a reason to be upset -the whole cutting a f#%@#&! alien out of her own stomach thing- she just… seems way too calm. Don’t get me wrong she is definitely freaking out, no question, but by that point in the movie I am so used to her freaking out and whining about s$#! her reaction to this MASSIVE f#%@#&! DISASTER is just unimpressive. I dunno. Otherwise she was pretty cool, I mean she cut a f#%@#&! alien out of her stomach and then went right back to getting s$#! done like a boss.

The blond chick (I cant be arsed to look up everyones names) was pretty cool too. I know she gets a lot of s$#! in reviews for being ‘mean’ but she’s pretty cool. She’s one of the few characters who is very logical throughout the movie, putting the obvious consequences of situations before her feelings. She burned that guy like a boss because everyone else was too much of a little bitch to see “hey maybe this guy is dangerous and we could be endangering everyone by bringing him on board”. She does what needs to be done to keep the majority alive and well even if it may seem ‘heartless’ and I give her massive props for that. Even if the logic thing doesn’t work for you I would not classify her as heartless. Despite her blatant disagreement with her father she came on board anyways, despite the fact that she really seemed to have nothing to gain from doing so.

The guy who got f#%@#&! owned by alien virus was a red shirt from the beginning. I’m disappointed in you if you did not see his death coming from miles away. hahaha

I would have liked to see more from the red head with the mohawk. He was cool and seeing him go so early on was sad.

Now beyond characters I am kind of curious about something. In the earlier parts of the movie there was a carving in the wall that was very clearly the alien we are so used to, a xenomorph. But, as we clearly saw in the end, the first legit xenomorph didn’t exist until, well, the very very end of the film. So how the f&#! did they have a carving of it? Maybe there were aliens like the xenomorph that they got the black s$#! from in the first place? Or maybe they’d already experimented with this stuff and had come across these monsters before? Who knows, I’m just kind of really curious about it haha.

Some of the s$#! the characters did was dumb, like trying to pet the f#%@#&! cobra thing, -and I don’t really understand why David helped the heroine at the end but w/e- but whatever if everyone was as smart as hard-ass miss Wayland there would be no movie.

Ummm yeah that’s all I can think of at the moment. The entire movie was beautiful, just absolutely gorgeous. You really should go see it if you haven’t already. Especially if you’re a fan of the Alien series.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:16 pm

http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/uswn1/prometheus_everything_explained_and_analysed/

Prometheus - Everything explained and analysed *SPOILERS* (self.movies)

submitted 1 day ago* by happyguy815

This post goes way in depth to Prometheus and explains some of the deeper themes of the film as well as some stuff I completely overlooked while watching the film.

NOTE: I did NOT write this post, I just found it on the web.

Link: http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1

Prometheus contains such a huge amount of mythic resonance that it effectively obscures a more conventional plot. I'd like to draw your attention to the use of motifs and callbacks in the film that not only enrich it, but offer possible hints as to what was going on in otherwise confusing scenes.

Let's begin with the eponymous titan himself, Prometheus. He was a wise and benevolent entity who created mankind in the first place, forming the first humans from clay. The Gods were more or less okay with that, until Prometheus gave them fire. This was a big no-no, as fire was supposed to be the exclusive property of the Gods. As punishment, Prometheus was chained to a rock and condemned to have his liver ripped out and eaten every day by an eagle. (His liver magically grew back, in case you were wondering.)

Fix that image in your mind, please: the giver of life, with his abdomen torn open. We'll be coming back to it many times in the course of this article.

The ethos of the titan Prometheus is one of willing and necessary sacrifice for life's sake. That's a pattern we see replicated throughout the ancient world. J G Frazer wrote his lengthy anthropological study, The Golden Bough, around the idea of the Dying God - a lifegiver who voluntarily dies for the sake of the people. It was incumbent upon the King to die at the right and proper time, because that was what heaven demanded, and fertility would not ensue if he did not do his royal duty of dying.

Now, consider the opening sequence of Prometheus. We fly over a spectacular vista, which may or may not be primordial Earth. According to Ridley Scott, it doesn't matter. A lone Engineer at the top of a waterfall goes through a strange ritual, drinking from a cup of black goo that causes his body to disintegrate into the building blocks of life. We see the fragments of his body falling into the river, twirling and spiralling into DNA helices.

Ridley Scott has this to say about the scene: 'That could be a planet anywhere. All he’s doing is acting as a gardener in space. And the plant life, in fact, is the disintegration of himself. If you parallel that idea with other sacrificial elements in history – which are clearly illustrated with the Mayans and the Incas – he would live for one year as a prince, and at the end of that year, he would be taken and donated to the gods in hopes of improving what might happen next year, be it with crops or weather, etcetera.'

Can we find a God in human history who creates plant life through his own death, and who is associated with a river? It's not difficult to find several, but the most obvious candidate is Osiris, the epitome of all the Frazerian 'Dying Gods'.

And we wouldn't be amiss in seeing the first of the movie's many Christian allegories in this scene, either. The Engineer removes his cloak before the ceremony, and hesitates before drinking the cupful of genetic solvent; he may well have been thinking 'If it be Thy will, let this cup pass from me.'

So, we know something about the Engineers, a founding principle laid down in the very first scene: acceptance of death, up to and including self-sacrifice, is right and proper in the creation of life. Prometheus, Osiris, John Barleycorn, and of course the Jesus of Christianity are all supposed to embody this same principle. It is held up as one of the most enduring human concepts of what it means to be 'good'.

Seen in this light, the perplexing obscurity of the rest of the film yields to an examination of the interwoven themes of sacrifice, creation, and preservation of life. We also discover, through hints, exactly what the nature of the clash between the Engineers and humanity entailed.

The crew of the Prometheus discover an ancient chamber, presided over by a brooding solemn face, in which urns of the same black substance are kept. A mural on the wall presents an image which, if you did as I asked earlier on, you will recognise instantly: the lifegiver with his abdomen torn open. Go and look at it here to refresh your memory. Note the serenity on the Engineer's face here.

And there's another mural there, one which shows a familiar xenomorph-like figure. This is the Destroyer who mirrors the Creator, I think - the avatar of supremely selfish life, devouring and destroying others purely to preserve itself. As Ash puts it: 'a survivor, unclouded by conscience, remorse or delusions of morality.'

Through Shaw and Holloway's investigations, we learn that the Engineers not only created human life, they supervised our development. (How else are we to explain the numerous images of Engineers in primitive art, complete with star diagram showing us the way to find them?) We have to assume, then, that for a good few hundred thousand years, they were pretty happy with us. They could have destroyed us at any time, but instead, they effectively invited us over; the big pointy finger seems to be saying 'Hey, guys, when you're grown up enough to develop space travel, come see us.' Until something changed, something which not only messed up our relationship with them but caused their installation on LV-223 to be almost entirely wiped out.

From the Engineers' perspective, so long as humans retained that notion of self-sacrifice as central, we weren't entirely beyond redemption. But we went and screwed it all up, and the film hints at when, if not why: the Engineers at the base died two thousand years ago. That suggests that the event that turned them against us and led to the huge piles of dead Engineers lying about was one and the same event. We did something very, very bad, and somehow the consequences of that dreadful act accompanied the Engineers back to LV-223 and massacred them.

If you have uneasy suspicions about what 'a bad thing approximately 2,000 years ago' might be, then let me reassure you that you are right. An astonishing excerpt from the Movies.com interview with Ridley Scott:

Movies.com: We had heard it was scripted that the Engineers were targeting our planet for destruction because we had crucified one of their representatives, and that Jesus Christ might have been an alien. Was that ever considered?

Ridley Scott: We definitely did, and then we thought it was a little too on the nose. But if you look at it as an “our children are misbehaving down there” scenario, there are moments where it looks like we’ve gone out of control, running around with armor and skirts, which of course would be the Roman Empire. And they were given a long run. A thousand years before their disintegration actually started to happen. And you can say, "Let's send down one more of our emissaries to see if he can stop it." Guess what? They crucified him.

Yeah. The reason the Engineers don't like us any more is that they made us a Space Jesus, and we broke him. Reader, that's not me pulling wild ideas out of my arse. That's RIDLEY SCOTT.

So, imagine poor crucified Jesus, a fresh spear wound in his side. Oh, hey, there's the 'lifegiver with his abdomen torn open' motif again. That's three times now: Prometheus, Engineer mural, Jesus Christ. And I don't think I have to mention the 'sacrifice in the interest of giving life' bit again, do I? Everyone on the same page? Good.

So how did our (in the context of the film) terrible murderous act of crucifixion end up wiping out all but one of the Engineers back on LV-223? Presumably through the black slime, which evidently models its behaviour on the user's mental state. Create unselfishly, accepting self-destruction as the cost, and the black stuff engenders fertile life. But expose the potent black slimy stuff to the thoughts and emotions of flawed humanity, and 'the sleep of reason produces monsters'. We never see the threat that the Engineers were fleeing from, we never see them killed other than accidentally (decapitation by door), and we see no remaining trace of whatever killed them. Either it left a long time ago, or it reverted to inert black slime, waiting for a human mind to reactivate it.

The black slime reacts to the nature and intent of the being that wields it, and the humans in the film didn't even know that they WERE wielding it. That's why it remained completely inert in David's presence, and why he needed a human proxy in order to use the stuff to create anything. The black goo could read no emotion or intent from him, because he was an android.

Shaw's comment when the urn chamber is entered - 'we've changed the atmosphere in the room' - is deceptively informative. The psychic atmosphere has changed, because humans - tainted, Space Jesus-killing humans - are present. The slime begins to engender new life, drawing not from a self-sacrificing Engineer but from human hunger for knowledge, for more life, for more everything. Little wonder, then, that it takes serpent-like form. The symbolism of a corrupting serpent, turning men into beasts, is pretty unmistakeable.

Refusal to accept death is anathema to the Engineers. Right from the first scene, we learned their code of willing self-sacrifice in accord with a greater purpose. When the severed Engineer head is temporarily brought back to life, its expression registers horror and disgust. Cinemagoers are confused when the head explodes, because it's not clear why it should have done so. Perhaps the Engineer wanted to die again, to undo the tainted human agenda of new life without sacrifice.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top