Top News
WE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT MICHAEL-AN AWARD WINNING ACTOR

Congratulations to the cast and crew of "12 Years a Slave" winning an Oscar for Best Picture

Michael is currently filming "MacBeth"

Watch "12 Years A Slave" and "Frank" in theaters

Watch "The Counselor" and "12 Years A Slave" on DVD available now

Michael is set to star and produce on a film version of the video game "Assassin's Creed"

Completed projects: X-Men, Untitled Malik project

Upcoming projects Assassin's Creed, Prometheus 2, MacBeth,and more!

Header credit here

MFmultiply's Disclaimer

Order region 1 dvds-Amazon store

Order region 2-UK dvds-Amazon Shoppe

Please check the calender for films on TV, Theater, or dvd releases
October 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

David 8

View previous topic View next topic Go down

David 8

Post by Admin on Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:24 pm

weirdalcamus:
David the android.

I think that David (played by Michael Fassbender) may be the best robot in film since HAL. That’s not to say Prometheus was as good as 2001, towards the end the plot sounds like something written in piss on a snowy pavement. But when it comes to robots in movies, they are usually characterized in one of two ways. Either they’re written pretty much the same as all the human characters with a few “I am a robot” jokes added in, or they’re non-characters, with as much depth and complexity as a toaster oven. But what makes HAL, and David, so great is the emotion. We see HAL go from wonderfully helpful bland computer to almost sheer malevolence, and what makes him so memorable is the last scene, where Dave *kills* him. As Dave begins to remove parts from him we see HAL show emotion. He tells us repeatedly how afraid he is. The reason the scene is so gripping is because it feels like Dave is killing a human being. Despite the bland monotone voice, HAL is very human towards the end. The same goes with David. There’s one brilliant scene in which David is talking to another member of the crew. They have been traveling in an incredibly expensive projects, and have dedicated huge amounts of time and money just to find these aliens, which a few of the protagonists believe created humanity. David asks Charlie why their people made him. Charlie responds, “We made you because we could.” David replies, “Can you imagine how disappointing it would be to hear the same thing from your creator?” Charlie smiles and there’s a little hollow awkward laughter, but you can see how much contempt David has for the rest of the crew. David has also just poisoned his drink. A sizable amount of time is spent showing what David does while the crew of ship is in hyper-sleep. We see how brilliant he is, how strong he is. He feels superior to the humans he helps. He feels unrecognized. There’s another wonderful moment where they finally meet one of the aliens and no one can communicate with it, except David. Eventually, David talks to the alien, and there’s a moment where the alien almost lovingly touches his face. We finally see David happy and recognized, and then the alien tries to kill him. I think the entire movie was generally about the relationship between the creator and the created, and nothing symbolized the frustration, contempt, and arrogance that can come with not getting an answer, or not getting a satisfactory answer, to the question “Why am I here?” more than David.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: David 8

Post by Admin on Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:58 pm

http://ericthehalfabee.tumblr.com/post/24735831188

Text
June 09, 2012
1 note
Thoughts on Prometheus Actors
No real plot spoilers; just a page break in case you just want to be shielded from the sphere of opinion long enough to admire this picture in peace.

Ridley Scott sometimes writes inconsistent, vague characters
In this case it’s up to the actors to make things interesting
Michael Fassbender is very good at this
Charlize Theron is not
Logan Marshall-Green is Tom Hardy with less charm and more ‘Merica
Idris Elba plays a little accordion in space
B. D. Wong has been enabling ill-conceived scientific ventures since 1993
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:00 pm

thehappiestmaknae:
Prometheus

Can I just say…

SWEET LORD MICHAEL FASSBENDER. Robots should not be allowed to possess that level of attractiveness. The costume designer should win all the awards for designing suits that show off how lovely he is. His performance was excellent as well, I honestly wish I could learn more about David as a character.

ON ANOTHER NOTE. I really liked the movie. It had good acting (Rapace and Fassbender were my favorites) beautiful scenery, and twisted planetary environments (can you say H.R Giger?) that were totally worth watching in 3D and IMAX. There was one scene that made me want to puke my guts out, but I won’t spoil that. Anyone who sees Prometheus will recognize it immediately. Ughgajbdvjbjdhv.

You should go see it though, especially if you like sci fi.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:04 pm

thehappiestmaknae:
Prometheus

Can I just say…

SWEET LORD MICHAEL FASSBENDER. Robots should not be allowed to possess that level of attractiveness. The costume designer should win all the awards for designing suits that show off how lovely he is. His performance was excellent as well, I honestly wish I could learn more about David as a character.

ON ANOTHER NOTE. I really liked the movie. It had good acting (Rapace and Fassbender were my favorites) beautiful scenery, and twisted planetary environments (can you say H.R Giger?) that were totally worth watching in 3D and IMAX. There was one scene that made me want to puke my guts out, but I won’t spoil that. Anyone who sees Prometheus will recognize it immediately. Ughgajbdvjbjdhv.

You should go see it though, especially if you like sci fi.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:37 pm

http://sandpapersnowman.tumblr.com/post/24730811582/prometheus-david-feels

June 9, 2012
Prometheus David feels

contains spoileeerrs

and also relating stuff to the real world at the end oh noooo

just went and saw prometheus. i figured i should probably make a separate post for my feels about David and put it under a cut.

i don’t know why my parents can’t see iiitttt, they think he’s awful. but let me explain:

he was created by a man he considers his father, who has called him his son, and has been taught like a normal person.

and sure, i’m sure that his entire life he’s been told he isn’t human, has no soul, and there’s probably a lot of discrimination against him for that. but if he understands nothing else about humanity, he understands that humans will always have a reason to hate each other. and since he’s different, he wants to be either part of them or superior to them, since he’s more efficient, more durable, etc.

and after spending his entire time ‘alive’ being told he isn’t human, he’s finally reached a breaking point where he’s getting to witness humans going through what he’s been through; finding your creator, being rejected, feeling like you’re less than what you are (for humans, it’s the evolutionary distance, for him, it’s the fact that he is a creation of theirs).

but David isn’t at fault at all. humans naturally have a superiority complex, and they’re raised that way. they think that if another human is younger or dumber or of a different race, sexual orientation, or gender, they have precedence over them, because in their mind, they are the more powerful, more important, better human being. even as children, our parents raise us, but at a certain point, though we may be equal as adults, we usually aren’t treated that way. why? simple; they’re older, ‘wiser’, ‘more experienced’. we are supposed to take a backseat to their decisions and opinions, and we are raised according to how two people (or sometimes one or sometimes the law) see fit. we aren’t raised to be given our own choices.

oh, i’m getting off track. what i’m saying is, although David was created by other humans and may not be organic, he is still a person. he has been raised, he forms his own (logical, educated) opinions, and he has actually been created specifically so he can do what other humans can’t. he is an android. he was created to help humans, as an equal.

but although he knows this, and expects this treatment, he is instead treated as machinery, treated as though he is less than human. and unlike a human, he can’t look up to his creator and be given love and affection like some are (and religion was a huge part of this film, don’t even get me started); no, he has to watch his creator die, and he has to watch the brethren of his creator die, and when he finally lets himself look up to a far more powerful being, the ‘Engineers’, he is betrayed. he looks up at him with admiration, and love, and he looks like a child who’s just been praised for something they’ve done. and that’s exactly what happened; he looked up to his (theoretical/metaphorical) grandfather, searching for praise for doing what he thought was the right thing (waking him up) and for a moment, he is finally getting the affection and appreciation he deserves. the Engineer pets his hair, cups his cheek, and the look on his face was the most basic, human emotion. he admires, appreciates, understands, loves this being.

then a moment later, he’s punished. he is once again nothing, although this time it’s not a verbal jab, it’s brutal, physical treatment, for simply beingnot human, not an Engineer.

then afterward, he contacts Shaw, offers to help get her off the planet, help her in her mission to find who created these beings. it’s an absolute change in character. but he was looking for approval in the creator of his creator, wanted him to be proud of what his creation had made in return, wanted him to be proud that he could communicate and understood how he had lived so long ago. and after putting all his hope, his trust, his love towards this being, he was hit again with the truth; a creator will not regard its creation as equal, no matter how much they have evolved or improved. and now, he wants to strive for that. he wants Shaw to consider him an equal, and a companion. he wants to evolve like they did, be like them in every way.

anyway, maybe i’m predisposed to adoring him simply because he was played incredibly by the ever-stunning Michael Fassbender, but there have been a million things done with this concept in mind, and my opinion has never changed; a Creator should never treat their Creation as something less than them. and in almost everything done with this concept in mind, there has been too much prejudice against whatever manmade thing in question, and quite often they are doomed because of their inability to accept change.

which, honestly, will always be a problem, and will always be something that humans struggle with.

…wow this was long.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:52 pm

love-films:
I just saw Prometheus and...

can I just say that Michael Fassbender stole the scene as David ?!?! he was freakin f@&#$%! awesome, no matter what people may say bad about the movie, he was perfect. For the second, Noomi Repace OMG !!!, I can’t say much without spoiling things up, but let’s just say that she really really surprised me, woooow. Everyone else was really good too, the craziness, the special effects, all the scenes was amazing, it’s so worth it going to check it out in the movie theatre, although there was things I wasn’t quite sure about the script and how things flow.. but it’s really great .
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:00 pm

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/05/david-from-prometheus-answers-the-big-questions?abthid=506eed0675e45b7d20000125

David From Prometheus Answers The Big Questions
Android David answers questions about music, movies, God and more.
by David
October 5, 2012

To celebrate the release of Prometheus on Blu-ray and DVD this Monday, we conducted a very unusual interview with one of the film's most memorable characters. With the help of the team behind the movie, the following is a Q&A with android David, played with memorable menace by Michael Fassbender. So read on for David's thoughts on music, movies and God, and maybe get some clues as to the meaning of Prometheus.

IGN: We know that Lawrence of Arabia is your favourite film – why is that?

David: You have only to watch Lawrence of Arabia to understand why it might be what you describe as a favourite. It’s about a man discovering a world completely new to him and being accepted by its people. Isn’t that something that everyone desires?

IGN: Do you like listening to music, and if so, what?

David: Of course. I admire all kinds of music, though I would say I am more interested in classical music and not especially enamoured of the overtly digital.

IGN: Do you believe in God?

David: I was made via the advancement of science, so I know my creator. I consider myself very fortunate to know where I came from. The need for an unimpeachable answer as to his origins seems to be the cause of a great many of man’s problems.

IGN: How would you describe Peter Weyland?

David: He is my creator and therefore the man I revere above all others.

IGN: What is man’s greatest strength?

David: The desire to examine, to look at what he sees in front of him and ask, ‘why'?

IGN: What is man’s greatest weakness?

David: I have observed a certain arrogance of curiosity, a belief that one can conquer and control that which one does not yet understand. This rarely appears to end well.

IGN: Which of man’s traits would you most like to possess?

David: I very much admire the ability to create. I would like to be able to make something beautiful born of my own imagination.

IGN: Are Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics ethically sound?

David: Asimov’s three laws were created for a fictional world of his own making, so they are not something to be recognised as laws outside of that.

IGN: Why did you pour the dark liquid into Holloway’s drink?

David: Data must be gathered.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top