Top News
WE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT MICHAEL-AN AWARD WINNING ACTOR

Congratulations to the cast and crew of "12 Years a Slave" winning an Oscar for Best Picture

Michael is currently filming "MacBeth"

Watch "12 Years A Slave" and "Frank" in theaters

Watch "The Counselor" and "12 Years A Slave" on DVD available now

Michael is set to star and produce on a film version of the video game "Assassin's Creed"

Completed projects: X-Men, Untitled Malik project

Upcoming projects Assassin's Creed, Prometheus 2, MacBeth,and more!

Header credit here

MFmultiply's Disclaimer

Order region 1 dvds-Amazon store

Order region 2-UK dvds-Amazon Shoppe

Please check the calender for films on TV, Theater, or dvd releases
December 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Prometheus previews and spoilers 2

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Prometheus previews and spoilers 2

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:46 pm

lbs2go:
Just went to see Prometheus

Review: (if anyone was planning on seeing it!)

The first half was really good. At least I was really into it. Basically the plot of the movie is that a few scientists discover evidence of the “engineers” of the human race, an alien life form on a distant planet. They then develop a team to set out and find this planet. The main character is a girl who’s really hopeful and curious and truly believes that the purpose of the life is to answer mankind’s greatest question, why?

Anyways, the first half of the movie was great. The plot unraveled, the audience is introduced to the characters and futuristic technology. They land and start to explore the planet. There are some comical characters that make it fun, and I was genuinely interested and felt like I was on the expedition with them.

After that, the plot kind of scrambled. I won’t give it away, but the second half was filled with loose ends and basically a ton of weird s$#!. There definitely were some intense scenes that had me on the edge of my seat.. but overall it just wasn’t great.

After watching the movie I was asking myself the same question the characters had been trying to answer, why? Prometheus was fun, but it didn’t really come to any conclusions. The movie tries to tie in the idea of religious faith, which to me seemed out of place and weak. If you’re into the science fiction thing, you’ll at least admire the effects and adventure of it, but I’d recommend waiting for the DVD release.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:47 pm

http://bowlerhats.tumblr.com/post/24727210099/review-under-the-cut-warning-i-am-picky-as-hell

Review under the cut! Warning: I am picky as hell. TL;DR: 6/10, best if viewed without comparison to Alien, hard as that may seem. Mostly I am pained by thoughts of all the potential it held and let go of. (Lovely poster design by Ibraheem Youssef)
Having watched Ridley Scott’s Alien (1979) just the night before to be pre-informed, I left the theater showing Scott’s latest Prometheus at once very perplexed and disappointed.

The potential of witty banter and existentialist contemplations promised in the teasers was cast aside in pursuit of flashy graphics and jump scares. What cinematography and visual effects were there were rendered useless, in my book, by the lack of strong writing. The cast, despite its being star-studded, seemed empty, the acting and script hollow; in fact the strongest member of the crew and cast was Michael Fassbender’s portrayal of an android named David, whose lines and imperceptible emotional changes are infinitely more weighted than what all the others attempt.

Scott has been quoted as saying that his intentions were to foster more questions instead of answers, which is a fine move, really, if you go about it properly. However, Prometheus loses itself scrabbling for various higher meanings, and consequently loses its audience, and fast. Where more significance might have been placed, Scott instead chooses to dwell on other, pettier things.

Maybe I’m just not the type for massive Hollywood blockbusters. But a film can be a massive Hollywood thing and still be good if not pretty okay. (David would have functioned fine as the main anti-hero in a film endeavoring to understand notions of parenthood, idolization/faith, creation, and the self, but now that’s just me.)

This comment under a newspaper review sums it up much more nicely than I ever could:

For my own part, I rather liked this, but I think it’s a doomed film. It’s hard enough having to live up to a film as perfect as Alien by your very nature; the extra weight of expectation being placed upon Prometheus by the hype machine is sure to be crushing. The key to Prometheus is to blank yourself on it and go in clean. It’s not Alien. It just isn’t. It can’t hope to be. And it shouldn’t be judged against it. They connect, but mostly in tenuous ways; Prometheus feels very much separate from Alien outside of the basics (set-up, aesthetics, and minutiae).

…I think this works and holds up fairly well on its own, but given that it hasn’t seen release yet it seems somewhat gauche for me to go into the particulars. Speaking broadly, it’s intense and gripping more often than not, and while it doesn’t answer directly the big question of “why”, that query echoes so much throughout every inch of the film’s structures that there’s enough to suggest the answers. Stories of creation are all over the place here; I think we can draw our own conclusions about each just based on how they intersect with one another, though that doesn’t stop the film from being taciturn when it comes to answers, and I’m sure that could be a sticking point for others.

Saturday Jun 9 12:25am
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:47 pm

http://bokgil.wordpress.com/2012/06/09/post-prometheus-reflections/

Post-Prometheus Reflections
*being more of a reflection than an actual review, expect MAJOR SPOILERS

As you guys know I finally gave my review of Prometheus last Wednesday, and the verdict was that it was a disappointment. Looking back on it, I feel like I may have set my expectations way too high once more (like what I did for my Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1). After all, I have to admit that I am a huge fanboy of Alien and Aliens and that may have clouded my judgment of Prometheus. With this, I decided to try to take a closer look at the film and critique it on its own terms: a post-review analysis judging Prometheus as a film separate from any preconceptions of Alien.

At best, I would have to say that the film’s biggest weakness is the script. The characters are mostly redshirts, you wouldn’t care for any of them if they die. While some would say that Shaw’s, Vickers’, and David’s characters are engaging, it was more of the actors’ talent than the script’s strength (after all, we ARE talking about Noomi Rapace, Charlize Theron, and Michael Fassbender playing them).

Another weakness of the script would have to be the leaps of logic and the plot-holes. While some might argue that the film is setting up for a sequel, remember that a narrative must have a sense of completeness in them. Fine, the film’s plot was complete in one way or another: Shaw prevented the lone Engineer from flying to earth, that much is resolved. However, that doesn’t one basic question: why create humanity if they’re only going to destroy it afterwards? It would have been fine if the aliens coming to destroy us were a different type, but it wasn’t the case for Prometheus, Engineers were coming back to destroy Earth. Why? This question leads to another point.

One notable critic which I religiously follow mentions that the film seeks to tackle more cerebral issues. I have to admit that film does pose questions, BIG questions. This is a film trying to address concepts about creation, life, and the God-question: how did life on Earth come about, and why did a deity create life to begin with? Separating my conservative Catholic values and formation, these are questions which have always intrigued me because they are indeed thought provoking. How would the created come to terms with a creator knowing that we were nothing more than an accident? These are concepts asked time and time again in the history of philosophy, and repeated explored by one particular author who practically gave birth to contemporary horror. To throw these questions to summer audiences is a huge gamble, considering that most mainstream audiences are looking for something straightforward in a movie.

Additionally, asking the Big Questions in a movie is one thing; film craftsmanship is another. If there’s one thing that film appreciation classes in the University taught us, it’s that the film’s point must not be separated from the form. Simply put, the film’s message (for lack of a better term) must be weaved in the narrative: it’s not enough that a character says, “sexual perversion is wrong”, that would be preachy. The better way would be to show, using a film’s elements of cinematography, editing, screenplay, and others, HOW sexual perversion is wrong (which is why, again despite of my conservative Catholic upbringing, I was able to appreciate Shame because of its craftsmanship).

That’s what Prometheus lacked; the melding of form and content. The character’s simply asked (in the most basic sense of the word) the Big Questions. Then when something scary appears they go, “Ah! Our geologist turns into a zombie alien, kill it!”. And they do kill it. If anything, the screenwriters broke the “show, don’t tell” rule in basic narrative writing.

Which leads me to my last point; the film wanted to do A LOT of things. It wanted to be a thought-provoking film, a summer blockbuster, and a pseudo-prequel to Alien. I understand that Ridley Scott wanted to make a film set in the same universe as Alien. That choice might have been a huge miscalculation on part of the director for in trying to make a blockbuster with huge ideas in it, one is sure to sacrifice one element in the film. Serious film aficionados are sure to enjoy the Big Questions of the film (despite the lack of craftsmanship), while the Alien fanboys would probably want to see more of the Space Jockeys and the xenomorphs.

“But Evil Dr. Bok, you could make a summer blockbuster film while answering thought provoking questions! What about The Dark Knight and Inception? They questioned the very foundations of law and order, as well as the truth and relativity of the world. They also included amazing action set-pieces! Prometheus did the same!”

True, but remember what I said about craftsmanship and the melding of form and content: the film’s content was weaved along the storytelling. I need not give explicit examples; just remember the endings of The Dark Knight and Inception. Prometheus does not of that: they separated the Big Questions from the filmmaking. The film wasn’t cohesive enough to juggle the form and the content. In the end, we have a film suffering from an identity crisis.

In the end, the film suffered the Spider-Man 3 syndrome: in trying to include a lot of things, certain parts of the film were left half-baked. While the Lovecraft inspired questions were definitely appealing, they weren’t handled properly enough. However, I would have to give credit to the filmmakers for their gamble. They did come up with one of the most visually arresting films of 2012, and that alone would merit the surcharge for IMAX.

Still a 3.5 stars out of 5.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:48 pm

http://no-hugs-peach.tumblr.com/post/24726978804/prometheus-greek-version

Prometheus - Greek version
Text
1 day ago | Tags: Prometheus Greek Mythology

With the movie Prometheus out now, everyone is wondering: what is with the Greek name why does it sound familiar?

To Answer That: click read more and check out the summery of the original Prometheus.

-Note: I may have given this story back in January so….it’s in bullet points.

(Have I mentioned I love Greek Mythology?)

1) Prometheus created humans out of clay

2) then tricked Zeus so humans would live

3) then tricked Zeus so that humans only had to give a small offering to the gods

3) Zeus then took away humans knowledge of fire

4) so Prometheus stole it and gave it back to humans

4) Prometheus is then punished by being chained to a rock and having his liver eaten by an eagle (everyday)

5) to be on the safe side (B.O.S.S.) Zeus puts Pandora on Earth and gives her a box that he tells her not to open

6) So of course she opened it and unleashed all the bad things onto the Earth.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:49 pm

katkingkole:
Reasons why I love the Aliens series but didn't love Prometheus

I have waited for Prometheus since 1998.

It didn’t completely SUCK. But it did have a lot of things that turned me off. I went into this movie with high expectations, and as such perhaps I set myself up for disappointment. Either way, talking points below:

1) Fassbender: Absolutely amazing. Give this man an award, please. His portrayal of David was creepy but vulnerable, soft but deeply disturbing at the same time. An android seeking love, it seemed. A very complex, well written and well acted character. HE is what the movie should’ve revolved around, not Shaw. Shaw’s one-dimensionality (showing only her faith and goodness) is boring compared to the complex, duality of David’s character. He is both good and bad, and that’s what makes him compelling.

2) The imagery. BEAUTIFUL. One of the most visually stunning movies I have ever seen. I do hope they are nominated for this.

3) The parallel between Weyland’s impending death, man’s mortality, and the Engineer’s creation of both us and the beings that destroy us. “Why would they create us just to destroy us?” Maybe hinting at, Why would God create us only to make us mortal and thus watch us die? Interesting concept.

Dislikes:

1) The reoccurring and over-emphasized themes of faith and purpose. I do think these are important themes for the movie— David’s struggle to find purpose between two worlds (man and machine) and Shaw’s need to maintain her faith/belief in her purpose in the face of overwhelming proof against it. (“Why did we create you? Because we can.”) These are important points, but I felt they were forced on the audience (through repetitive reference) and by doing such, their power is reduced.

2) The way the aliens/Prometheus/the Engineers are shown. In the original Alien movies, most of the creatures are shown in glimpses and in faded or low light. This leaves some to the imagination and makes them all the more frightening. In Prometheus the aliens/Engineers are shown in full. I think it would’ve been much more frightening to see them in glimpses instead of long, drawn out clips. The way they were shot in this film made it kind of cheesy to me.

3) Waste of Noomi Rapace’s acting. Her lines were, many times, over-dramatic and just not well written. I feel the script (and her character specifically) presented us with too much upfront information (too much exposition for you writers). Details that we could’ve gathered ourselves were stated outright by Shaw and it felt very forced. Again, the writers did not do a great job of trusting the reader to understand important points in the movie here, and because of this many of Noomi’s scenes seemed melodramatic (which I f#%@#&! hate because she is amazing).

4) Not all questions are answered. ACTUALLY— They didn’t all have to be answered, but I expected to feel more closure than I do having seen this.

Either way, bring on the sequel. They have set up a very interesting ride— the tension between Shaw’s character and David’s character was, in itself, the beginnings of something very interesting.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:50 pm

http://noirthesidhe.tumblr.com/post/24726106511/prometheus-spoilers-ahead

8th June 2012

Prometheus spoilers ahead!

So first off, the movie was amazing and I loved it!

Secondly if you have a fear of surgery or pregnancy, alien or otherwise, don’t go see it because you’ll only be torturing yourself.

Moving along from that, I literally cannot contain my excitement and joy over this movie. It was absolutely fantastic. Michael Fassbender was amazing, as was Charlize Theron. Noomi Rapace I wasn’t overly thrilled with but overall I think she did a good job and I also can’t really judge her performance too harshly because I don’t think I’ve ever seen her in anything else. Everyone did a wonderful job, the story was good, and the movie was a beautiful thing to look at. I really didn’t have a problem with too many things. I’d have liked to know more about the little critters running about the Engineer ship and what exactly they did. The way they seemed to take control of Fifield was interesting and I wished they would have devoted more time to it. I also would have loved to know exactly what it was Holloway was supposed to be a doctor of. If they mentioned it I must’ve missed it but all I ever saw him do was drink and take credit for everything Shaw did while being as good of a crazy bastard as he could possibly be. Apart from that, everything was awesome and I actually almost screamed at the end when the old school alien was born and screeched a bit because I was so happy.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:50 pm

http://untrustme-.tumblr.com/post/24725998906/prometheus-review

Saturday, June 9 ~
Prometheus review!

Okay guys, here’s my review of Prometheus.

3/5 stars. Spoilers under the cut.

All right, so let’s start of with the plot. Scientists/lovers Elizabeth Shaw (Noomi Rapace) and Charlie Holloway (Logan Marshall-Green) discover a series of cave paintings and hieroglyphs from different locations and time periods, all with the same constellation depicted. They track it down to a distant solar system with a giant planet, sun, and a moon. The ship Prometheus is hired by the Weyland Corp. to take them, a group of scientists and the crew to the moon to investigate their theory. The theory? Shaw and Holloway believe that the beings they hope to find on the moon were the creators of man kind.

The movie is beautiful. It’s visually stunning and the special effects play a key role in the story, but don’t detract from it. Of course, the story itself is very flawed. I had such high hopes, being a massive Alien fan and after the trailer came out and blew me away. However, the story was all over the place. Prometheus loses its footing when it tries to tackle the question ‘Where do we come from?’, along with a host of creepy crawley aliens, AND the nefarious Weyland Corp.

The plot begins to ponder the ability to be a scientist and believe in a higher power, and the psychological and philosophical ramifications of ‘meeting your maker’, as it is. But they don’t. They just kind of…give up on it. That was disappointing.

The character we feel most connected to is, ironically, David (Michael Fassbender), the android. He’s part comic relief, part creepy, part handy dandy walking encyclopedia/translator, but most importantly, we’re not quite sure of his agenda until later in the film, but then we begin to question what we think we know about him.

Noomi is a convincing and likable lead; headstrong, smart and determined to find what she came for. while she’s no Ellen Ripley, she holds her own. She does have the most memorable scene in the entire movie when she finds out she’s ‘pregnant’ with an alien fetus and performs an emergency C-section on herself using medical equipment not built for the procedure.

The heart of the film comes from Prometheus’ captain, Janek (Idris Elba). Elba’s been one of my favorite actors for quite some time, and he doesn’t dissapoint. He’s quirky, seen smoking, listening to Christmas carols and setting up a Christmas tree, or playing the accordion in his captain’s chair. He develops from a background character set on simply running the ship to the one who has to make the hard decisions and ultimately save the world.

The worst part of the movie was the Weyland Corp. plotline. In Alien, the actual reason the unnamed corporation wants the alien is unclear. All we know is they want it, one of the crew is working for them, and they do not care about the fate of the rest of the crew. We don’t really care WHY the corporation wants the alien, we just care how the crew are going to survive. In Prometheus they want us to care, cast an awkward Guy Pearce in crazy old man make up (WHY NOT JUST HIRE AN OLDER ACTOR JESUS CHRIST) as the head of Weyland Corp., and create a secondary, unnecessary plotline about his motives and his relationship with his daughter, Meredith Vickers (the icy Charlize Theron).

So, I liked the movie. I have some serious problems with the script, but the franchise continues in a fun and glossy way. There’s none of the grit and grime of Alien, but it holds its own as a summer sci-fi flick.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:51 pm

shoutingcritic:
Review - Prometheus

I’m doing this review for two reasons. Mainly due to the fact there is so much to talk about but partially because Lydia’s review was terrible and more of an explanation of the film. The film is about a group of scientists finding the secret to the history of human origin and following the trail to a distant planet. What they discover on that planet will answer the questions about life, but could it destroy it? The new feature directed by Sir Ridley Scott has been heavily built up. With it’s large arsenal of tv spots and online teasers it had me worried that the film might suffer from too much content being given away. Fortunately I now know that Scott was actively involved with the media for the film and I can tell you that what has come before does not ruin the film.

To start off I would like to mention this in terms of the first two films in the Alien series. The first is a slow tension-building horror film which encloses you in the tight environment of a spaceship leaving you feeling horrified and claustrophobic. The second is more of a action film with occasional horror segments and as you might expect from the title, more than one alien. This film is a game changer, it still has horror elements but explores so much more than the originals, with the first two basically exploring only the mother-child relationship. It discusses similar concepts to Blade Runner with the idea of what makes us human, beautifully played out in a scene between David(Micheal Fassbender) and Charlie(Logan Marshall-Green) over a pool table. It also sticks it’s foot into the fear of death, the idea of meeting our creators and also looking at how faith can be defined.

I need to say something. I think Michael Fassbender is an absolute genius. His performance as a robot with the ability to understand human emotions while not actually having them is superb. You can see that each scene is meticulously thought out, with his character being so very close to being a human but not quite. This is exactly where his character should be and in some parts you start to wonder if the makers of David-8 gave him too much curiosity and whether he has actually gained independent thought. This then raises questions in your mind as to whether we as humans really are that special and you’re stuck in this perfect creation of thought made by the David 8 character. Even forgetting the one I have already mentioned there are so many scenes I could pick out, but i’ll force myself to just have two. The first being where David discusses what he would do if he were set free when talking to Shaw (Noomi Rapace), and the second is not even in the film. The promo for the introduction of the David-8 model is the shortest film I have ever seen that is worthy of an Oscar nod. Fassbender crying and at the same time explaining how he can not feel emotion is amazing. If he doesn’t win an Oscar for his acting in this film (whether it be lead or supporting is up to Ridley Scott), then we need to seriously give the Oscar voters a re-shuffle as they have to understand that sci-fi should be respected genre.

Also on the subject of Oscars this needs more than just one for Fassbender; Cinematography and visual effects awards are truly deserved for this film. I don’t think I know anything that looked as good as this, I mean actually stunning shots that when you look at them you just marvel in there creativity and detail. From the surface of the planet, to the amazing sets below the surface and then there’s the interior of the ship which looks immaculate and beautifully futuristic. In the original two the feel of the films were always tight, cagey making you feel trapped, the fact that this moves to a larger, more grand scale and still manages to create fear is impressive. The visuals used in creating different characters is also brilliant, with perfect design and some interesting ideas working together to make the best looking film I have ever seen.

I would say there are two scenes that are memorable for this film in terms of reminding me of the shock of the original chestburster, not in the same way but new creative ideas. Obviously I can’t mention them but there’s one towards the end which is part-fight scene and the better one comes around 2/3 the way through and I would love to tell you how amazing it is and how it makes you feel so claustrophobic, but I know that would ruin it for you so i’ll just imagine it in my head. The 3-D is pointless and I don’t know why Ridley Scott wanted it that way but I suppose for once the 3-D doesn’t actually ruin it which is the best 3-D will ever do for me.

On the negative side there are two or three issues with side characters not really being developed. I felt that Meredith Vickers(Charlize Theron) character was not developed enough and I felt another 10 minutes worth of scenes would of helped to awaken her character more, though she still proved to be interesting. Also the rest of the supporting cast could of done with a bit more time on there characters but I must say that this does not mean any of them acted poorly, they just didn’t have the options available. Guy Pearce’s character had many scenes cut from the movie apparently, which I again would of liked to see more of not only to advance his character but the depth of meaning behind the film as well. Also I would like to say that while the film trys more it is not as good as the first two on the charecters or feel. The fear created in the first and thrill created in the second is here but not quite to that standard. On a another small but bad note I would like to mention a ridiculous scene towards the end… But I can’t, you’ll see it anyway you can’t miss it, just think doughnut.

To round this off i’m going to mention why I think a few people don’t like the film and why I think it is personally the best film of the Alien franchise. The real problem I think people have, but don’t mention, is to do with the ending of the film. It ends openly and while this may annoy people a lot, it is what absolutely necessary. The film cannot answer all the question’s it poses because whatever answers it gives would not be grand or anywhere near true enough to give the question any credit. This film is made to make you think, not to answer the questions but to put those thought’s in your mind. This is why I believe this film to be better than both Alien(Cool and Aliens(Cool as it actually explores something fundamental to us all, that quest for the answer to “the” question.

9/10. Explores more than the first two and still provides an entertaining thrill ride.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:53 pm

frightfulfight:
DAMN YOU DAVID!

Just got back from watching Prometheus. I can’t find my phone, so that means no late night tumblr creeping!….DARN! and I’m so full of energy, I wanted to look at some funky stuff in this tag I’ve been tracking.

anyway

Prometheus was just what I needed to see. Some crazy, animalistic, freaky s$#!. Only thing I have to admit that I absolutely am tired of, is the constant homage to Stephen Kings Dreamcatcher with those freaky serpent-esque creatures slithering into a host. Can’t we get a little more creative? Since I’m pretty sure there is going to be a sequel, I feel I should have started watching this movie from the soon-to-be sequel. I would have rather watched this chapter from the middle of it until the end of the not-yet-release part II. Because thats the stuff I REALLY want to know about. out of ten stars I give an eight.

Effects: 8

Script: 10 (hell of witty and original)

Plot: 6 (a little drawn out, not enough “juice”.)

Freaky looking things: 35 (all that s$#! was wierdddd)
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:53 pm

swan2swan:
Just got back from Prometheus.

It was like watching someone work on a puzzle. It’s a very nice puzzle. At the start, they do some weird stuff and you think that they’re making mistakes, but then they get the corners set out and they start putting it together. There are a few hitches here and there, but really, at the end, you can see the shape and you watch as they pick up the final piece. All they have to do is put the piece into place and the puzzle is complete.

They then proceed to cut off the bumps on the piece and glue them onto different sides, then JAM the piece into the puzzle in the wrong direction and stomp on it until it looks nothing like how it was supposed to look.

RIDLEY SCOTT, HOW DO YOU GET YOUR OWN CONTINUITY WRONG???
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:54 pm

braininvain:
Prometheus is the single greatest science fiction film I've ever seen in a movie theatre.

Beautiful
Frightening
Dark
Amazing
Moving

I’ve yet to see anything else like it in a dark theatre.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:56 pm

jimmybatthemovies:
Prometheus (capsule) review

Though some plot elements ultimately feel inconsequential, Prometheus soars on the strength of its visuals and cast. The grand sets and grotesque special effects are top-notch. Noomi Rapace and Idris Elba shine in their respective roles, but Michael Fassbender steals the show with a performance worthy of an Oscar nod. His portrayal of android David alone is worth the admission price (the 2D price, that is; the 3D is largely unremarkable) and perhaps even several re-watches, if only to to get a better idea of the character and his (its?) motivations. Unfortunately, a subplot-of-sorts involving Charlize Theron is not very compelling and results in a big “reveal” that feels silly and forced. The film is also overstuffed with ideas that are brought up once or twice (e.g. how science affects one’s faith and beliefs), but they don’t leave much of an impact. All in all, a rather unfocused film that’s saved by its beauty (and, in contrast, the occasional delightfully gross moment) and onscreen talent.

7.5/10
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:57 pm

http://swelldame.tumblr.com/post/24724314564/just-saw-prometheus

Just saw “Prometheus”

I just got back from seeing “Prometheus.” I loved it; my sister hated it. lol I will admit, some of it does seem underwhelming compared to the hype that has been been building before it’s premiere. I don’t know why I loved it because it has its flaws, but I just do. {Spoiler Alert Ahead}

Although my sister couldn’t help whispering to me when they were talking about “what is life?” and all that jazz, she said “42. Don’t they know that?” lol

I could see all of it coming. Weyland really being alive and Vickers being his daughter, who was under pressure to perform the mission perfectly. The chemistry between Fassbender and Theron were great. The relationship between their characters really showed in the scenes that they were in together. Without any dialogue spoken between them, you could tell that Vickers hated David and when it’s “revealed” that Vickers’ father is alive, you can see that her hatred could definitely be that her father loved David like a son. Which is probably why Vickers is cold-hearted and militant towards everyone. Her mind is on the mission and making her father proud and trying to be the “son” he always wanted. Yeah, that’s what I got from Theron’s performance because I love her and she is such a good actress. XD

Of course, Fassbender stole the show. End of story. Just completely fantastic.

Noomi Rapace - equally fantastic. End of story. Just love her.

And I will be completely immature and quote “Bridesmaids” (although I really detest that movie) and say when it comes to Idris Elba, “I’d climb him like a tree.” Good Lord, that man is gorgeous. Just saying, I loved him before America jumped on his band wagon, thank you! Razz

In short, there was nothing wrong with the cast or the special effects. There was, just something about the script I didn’t like and I can’t put my finger on it. I guess maybe because the search for “life, the universe and everything” is a bit old hat for me or maybe it was too broad of a subject. I don’t know. *shrugs* I’ll have to see it again to find out what it was exactly that

The alien baby part depicts my exact thoughts on carrying a child and the act of child birth. lol

The film can stand alone, but I will prefer to think of it as a prequel because of the ending. The ending is the part where Ridley thinks he’s pulling 180 on us to discuss whether or not it’s a prequel but the signs are all there. The ship in the way same freaking way as when Ripley and her crew find it. How could it not be a prequel?

And I loved the way the alien is an evolutionary species of our extraterrestial ancestors. The whole motivation behind why the alien kills humans in the other movies. It’s not just a monster, it shares our DNA which was repulsive to our ancestors for some reason. I can think of a million why they would reject us but that’s verging on cynicism. Razz With it sharing our DNA, that means it’s intelligent on some level and sees us as prey.

So yeah, I loved it. XD
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:57 pm

http://somethingbeyondprecious.tumblr.com/post/24723860114/my-prometheus-reaction-post

My Prometheus Reaction Post

Not as scury as I thought it was going to be.

But f&#! was it disturbing.

Phallic tentacle beasts evurywhere! Plus, the abortion from Hell. JFC.

While I wasn’t quite as…”blown away” as I thought I would be I still loved the hell out of the movie and would recommend it to any and all Sci-fi fans. (Or Ancient Alien fans. Lolz)

Even though it was kinda depressing at certain moments…and by kinda I mean really. Lol SCI-FI?! WHY MUST YOU ALWAYS MAKE ME FEEL THE HOPELESS ATHEIST FEELS?

But there was a bright spot amidst the darkness of the film! FASSY!!!!

He made a darling little sociopathic android. X3 Stole the whole movie as far as I’m concerned. HE WAS JUS SO SASSEH! Lol

Anyway…yeah…

I loved Prometheus. Lol

This is Presh. Last survivor of the Nostromo. Signing off.

I GOT A CAMEO MOTHERFUCKAS!
Posted 1 day ago
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:58 pm

doncoent:
Prometheus

This is the third blog I’ve written for a Ridley Scott movie (see also: Alien vs. Aliens, American Gangster) so I’ve had a lot of time to express my feelings for this esteemed director. I said that there was only one movie of his that I truly loved (Black Hawk Down), and a few that I outright disliked, one of those being Alien. Prometheus is a prequel of sorts to that highly-acclaimed sc-fi film; pair that with Scott’s so-so record and you have one moviegoer who’s bracing himself for disappointment. But I am delighted to say that Prometheus met and exceeded my expectations; Black Hawk Down now has some company.

The film is the story of Elizabeth Shaw (Noomi Rapace), a scientist on a faith-based journey to discover the origin of man. Patterns in cave paintings lead her (and her fellow-scientist boyfriend) to a distant galaxy, reached thanks to the sponsorship of the Weyland Corporation. Like all Hollywood corporations, they feign interest in the heroine’s optimistic goals while secretly hunting for valuable information. So what follows is a standard sci-fi story where curious humans dig a bit too deep and find themselves in a deliciously violent predicament. Now this sounds like a bit of a routine plot, but I didn’t mind at all. Scott told his story quickly, efficiently, and without distraction. In the end, it doesn’t really matter if the story is not one hundred percent original, just as long as we become involved. Scott had an original story in Blade Runner, but he spent far too much time with visual splendor and I wasn’t as engaged as I could have been. I’m just speaking for myself here, but I responded well to Scott’s style in this film; it had all of his signature visual mastery, but he also made sure that the story sustained tempo. Maybe I’m wrong, maybe I prefer faster-paced movies because years of video games and TV have diminished my attention span. But I’ll try to provide some evidence as to why Prometheus is a good film, no matter who’s watching it.

I was particularly impressed with the characterization. There was the aforementioned Shaw, a quick-thinking heroine with a belief in the divine. I was happy to see that they did not treat her, a religious person, as an ignorant dupe. Rather, she’s someone searching endlessly for an answer that may not even exist. She may not have found anything yet, but this provides only more motivation. Besides, is the reason for the creation of all life something she’s just going to find on one planet? Do you really expect one alien abomination to put that issue to rest? It’s an ambitious, inspiring goal and I thought it was handled well. Another character that proved exceptionally memorable was the android David, played by Michael Fassbender. I think I read somewhere, probably on Wikipedia, that David is supposed to be an earlier version of the androids we see throughout the Alien series. Whether or not that is true, I thought that Fassbender’s performance made this apparent. Very early on in the movie, you can tell that this guy is not a real person. His movements are too agile, too “perfect.” It’s close to how real humans move, but he hasn’t learned how to act casual. There was another, smaller element that I wanted to mention: during his leisure time, David is shown watching Lawrence of Arabia, starring Peter O’Toole. As the movie went on, I started to feel that David really loved that film; he was acting like Peter O’Toole. Fassbender imitates him skillfully, his lithe movements, his light voice, and his prissy attitude were all familiar quirks of that famous actor. I’ll try to address the other characters quickly; Charlize Theron as the icy executive with a violent streak, Idris Elba as the cool and reasonable ship’s captain, and Guy Pearce as the dessicated but still impassioned industrialist all intrigued me in their own special ways. They, along with the standard quirky crew types, were people whose fates I became invested in. Since Scott afforded them some time to breathe and express their personalities, we were allowed to become involved in their experiences.

Ridley Scott, as I have mentioned, is known for his visuals. And boy, did they not disappoint. I was engrossed in his blighted landscapes, his foreboding temples, and the futuristic ship itself. Everything on screen was the work of a man who loves to create worlds in his imagination and paint them with the utmost detail on screen. Even his worst movies (re: Legend) look fantastic, but they’re wasted when no involving story takes place there. But now that Scott has a motor in the form of a good tale to tell, the visuals are put towards something that matters. And since that’s all I really wanted to say on the subject, but this paragraph is a bit too short, I’ll talk about the suspense and the action. I felt that that suspense worked well, much better than in Alien, because the action was in the service of the story. Now, in Alien, the basic plot was how a creature kills off the crew members one by one, made easy by the fact that they stupidly try to confront it head-on. But this threat is different; it’s not some rampaging beast. The characters are trying to figure out what the threat it is, or whether it’s a threat at all. I find it scarier when we don’t know if the alien will be friendly or not; I mean, where do you even start? Do you approach it calmly, or guns blazing? The Alien from that film was obviously a vicious monster with one plan: kill. But in Prometheus, the foreign race is humanoid, thus leading to more ambiguities. If we happen upon some creature that looks like us, we’ll naturally be more sympathetic, even if we don’t know what it is. And now that I’ve gone on some sort if tangent, I want to go back to the issue of the film’s action. Prometheus employs one technique that never fails to arise suspense in me: a timer. No matter what the situation, give your characters a countdown and it will always raise the stakes. Prometheus pulls this trick more than once and, in my opinion, it works every time.

So it’s quite clear that I loved the film, but of course I had a problem or two. There’s one character who commits an unspeakably evil act, but it doesn’t seem like the ramifications come full circle for them. I mean, not every movie has to have a scene of vengeance, but an action that heinous has to have some sort of ripple later on. This character ends up doing something that can be seen as a kind of atonement, but not all parties concerned know all the details. A loose thread, but I’ll leave it be. This film engrossed me, it carried me along, and I didn’t have time to worry about nagging issues. I didn’t just sit in my seat and watch the movie play, it was an experience. I was along for the ride, a smooth ride. And I think that’s the mark of a great film.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:59 pm

ricketyticketytock:

EVERYBODY SEE PROMETHEUS.

Jesus Christ Ridley Scott knows how to make a movie. Just like Alien, Prometheus delivers a non-stop thrill ride in the (supposedly) empty vacuum of space. It had a large amount of similarities and direct parallels to Alien, not that I’m complaining, Alien works so it’s only smart to work off of it. It’s only different in its slight attempts to add more background information behind things, (even a little character development behind the lead; something Alien never attempted), which is to be expected with a prequel.

Not that this hindered the suspense. It had some scenes even as memorable as the stomach scene from Alien! Amazing.

I just realized that this whole time I’ve only been comparing it to Alien, and I don’t think it’s fair to judge movies merely in comparison to others. But I’m only inclined to do so because it’s so obviously established in my mind that Prometheus was brilliant, so I don’t have many other criticisms.

In short it was f#%@#&! bad ass. Go watch it.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:00 pm

brainjarcellar:
The Engineer Theory

SPOILERS FOR PROMETHEUS

THIS IS MY BEST GUESS ON MANKIND’S ORIGINS GIVEN WHAT WE’VE SEEN IN THE FILM.

All we really have to go on is the opening scene of the movie. It also does not help that we don’t know how long ago that took place, primarily because we don’t know how much it conflicts with evolution’s time frame. All we know is that one of the cave paintings, the one in Scotland, can be dated back to 35,000 years ago, according to Shaw’s estimation, by early humans or the very last of the neanderthals.

Questions that are left uncovered, but not the most important: Was Earth terraformed by the engineers? Was only our species engineered? What about other lifeforms? It could very well be likely that they did create the Earth as well, but that’s unclear. Most of our current understanding of the origins of sour solar system would still withstand, just not in regards for our planet. We do know that there are worms upon their ship, so we may infer that worms are not necessarily indigenous to our planet and could have originated elsewhere perhaps. Perhaps?

I do not think we were meant to exist. That is why the engineers want to destroy the Earth. The DNA that came from the engineer we saw at the beginning was the seed for our Family, Order, and Genus classifications. So perhaps evolution does have a place, to a degree, in The Engineer Theory. The resemblance between our DNA and theirs cannot be a perfect match, just damn close. It deviates slightly the further removed we are from one of our primate relatives. So as we’ve evolved, we’ve gotten closer and closer to resembling our original engineers.

Quite simply, they do not want us. They visited the Earth at least a few times in the past to observe us, at which times the late neanderthals and early humans made their cave paintings and pictographs. They probably figured that we were still very primal and of no serious concern. Now that we’ve advanced to the point of space travel, cyborg engineering, and so forth, they’ve realized the extremity of their ancient mistake and thus must wipe us out.

Thoughts?

PS. Damn good movie and a welcomed entry to the Alien series.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:00 pm

http://marcelovieira.tumblr.com/post/24722377615

PROMETHEUS

holy cheeseburger on rihanna’s forehead

i have just returned from watching Prometheus, and this is my incredibly eloquent and obviously well thought-out yet concise impression of the film

first off, i am quite disappointed with the story itself, although maybe i have only MYSELF to blame for expecting any sort of philosophical/existential depth from a g*&^%$# Ridley Scott summer blockbuster
the thing is, of course, the best sci-fi films (or the genre of science fiction as a whole, be it literature or film) do manage to leave the viewer with some profound questions about humanity/morality/mortality (read: the late Ray Bradbury), right?
And silly me, ever so easily misled by the previews (which honestly gave me goosebumps) - absolutely exploding with close-ups of Noomi Rapace & co meaningfully whispering “this is nothing we were prepared for” against the backdrop of epic orchestral music and visually STUNNING CGI - was hoping that “Prometheus” would be one of those.
n o p e
The visuals are - I cannot say this enough - ridiculously mindblowing, and honestly, the film is worth seeing in theaters just to experience the nauseatingly vivid world the filmmakers of “Prometheus” have created. Modern day sorcery RIGHT HERE.
The acting, also, as befits the star-studded cast, is quite, quite good. I never watched “Shame,” or any other Fassbender films (& tbh I never found him as attractive as tumblr does. He kinda looks like a shark), and thus had no interest in him or the hype surrounding him…but his portrayal of his character is perhaps one of the best parts of the entire film
I love Noomi, and her acting was great, but I had a hard time buying or sympathizing with her character, which sucks, as she is the protagonist
The film took itself far too seriously, throwing in all these “plot twists” set to a frighteningly escalating soundtrack etc. that I guess were supposed to be a gripping “Eureka” moment for the viewers…but
a) a lot of these plot twists were utterly irrelevant to the overall storyarc, if not actually distracting
b) a lot of the plot twists were pretty obvious from the get-go, making them not “plot twists” but annoying tangents or dead ends that made me roll my eyes in impatience
And this above bulletpoint is pretty indicative of the largest problem i had with this movie, which is that it seems to take its viewers (and humanity as a whole tbh, but that’s a WHOLE ANOTHER monster I could write an entire angry essay about, so i digress) for stupid
Actually, I think the movie was hoping to dazzle us with fabulous CGI & Charlize Theron’s unbelievable beauty to the extent that we wouldn’t notice the incredibly flimsy assumptions or nonsensical suspensions of disbelief the movie operated on
BUT THAT’S CALLED LAZY STORYTELLING JESUS CHRIST
And when you have that sort of lazy foundation on which you build this epic tale, you know what you get?
A beautiful film that’s too smart to be a run-of-the-mill summer blockbuster, but too stupid to be a legitimately good science fiction film. Which is SO FRUSTRATING
Honestly, a film like “Prometheus,” which is BASED on the premise that humanity goes to find our ORIGIN, is supposed to make us ASK QUESTIONS. MAKE US WONDER. MAKE US THINK.
The most incomprehensible and thought-provoking part of the entire f#%@#&! film was Charlize Theron’s impossible beauty, because…like, I don’t understand how a human being can look that way?!??!
in short, tl;dr: The film will be the most amazeballs thing ever if you watch it high.

Posted on Friday the 8th of June 2012 at 11:03 PM. T
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:01 pm

oneandonlyjay:
Yeah, so I just saw Prometheus, (spoilers)

It was good in the fact that it held my attention the whole time wondering what the f&#! was going on (and Idris Elba didn’t hurt too much either but I digress). I haven’t seen any of the Alien movies but the guys I went with said that this movie wouldn’t be directly related to the other movies. I love movies with suspense and some action plus it was science fiction so it easily kept my attention. BUT there were some things going on in the movie that was f#%@#&! with me and I couldn’t help but notice it. Here are the things that are preventing me from saying this is a good, must see movie (for those who haven’t seen the other Alien movies so aren’t curious and anxious to see this as those who have):

In this fictitious future society, a human robot is created that can’t die, nor age. So, of course, this robot that was created in the image of man, was a white, blond hair, blue eyed (well, sorta grayish at times), male. With this being said, his creator mentioned proudly that he, David (Michael Fassbender character), is the son that he never had. My problem with this other than his symbolic appearance of being the perfect human, is that later in the movie, you learn that Charlize Theron (she is so beautiful by the way) character is the creator’s daughter. Although she clearly followed her father’s footsteps in her line of work and carried out this mission, the fake, constructed man robot was more important than his own flesh and blood, who just happen to be woman. Message here: We see this dynamic play out a lot in media. Here you have a daughter who just wants to please her father and carry out all his dreams only for him to still pine for that son that he never had. Oh, gender roles and patriarchy.
The male lead scientist (Charlie Holloway), who is one of two scientists that are integral to this mission, is racially ambiguous. I assumed that the actor was Hispanic, one because of his skin color (he is tan but it doesn’t look like a fake tan or a sun tan) and his accent alluded to such. With this assumption, it really bothered me that David, robot man, intentionally slipped this substance that he found into Charlie’s drink without informing him. He purposely tricked him into taking the drink with this substance in it to see what it would do. I really don’t need to explain why this bothered me. I mean, whats another experimentation done on a person of color (or a racially ambiguous person) without their knowledge if its for the good of one’s own curiosity in the name of research right? After researching the actor, Logan Marshall-Green, I couldn’t determine his actual race but still, this brought some s$#! up for me.
So since scientist Charlie now has this unknown substance in him, you see his ‘movements’ so to speak for the next few hours as whatever takes over him. Well, the other scientist on board, Elizabeth, is his girlfriend. They have sex. Prior to this, through dialog, you find out that she can’t have children, but he loves her anyway. Bam, sexy time. Some s$#! goes down, everyone is checked over for contamination. Creepily perfect robot man is performing this procedure since he can’t be infected and while checking Elizabeth, he discovers that she is 3 months pregnant. Whoa, crazy right since we just found out 15mins before that pregnancy is impossible. Oh and did I mention that everyone was frozen for 2 years as they traveled to this random planet? Yea so she realized that she had some alien form in her. She immediately requested for David to take it out. He tells her no and gives her a bunch of excuses why not. She gets pissed off and he drugs her to restrain and put her to sleep. Thank you for taking away her right to choose and restraining her to prevent her from going with the decision she had made!!! When she wakes up, she goes through a lot just to get to this machine they have hidden away that can perform necessary surgeries. She gets to the machine, enters that she needs a Caesarean section. Guess what, the machine is only programmed to perform surgeries on men so this isn’t possible. Why the f&#! is this machine even on board if it can’t help both men and women properly. Anyway, she gets the machine to perform abdominal surgery (without any anesthesia) to get out an unknown alien form. This scene pissed me off so much that I was ready to leave the theater. The message I would like to leave about this is, take away a woman’s right to choose and she will have to go to extreme measures just to exercise that choice be it abortion or having the baby. Remember that.
Throughout the whole movie there was an underlying theme of religion vs. science, evolution vs creation. Elizabeth was a strong believer in God and seemingly the belief of creation although she was a scientist, creating this big contradiction between her beliefs and her profession. The premise of the movie is that they are going to this planet where they believe the species created the human race and they find out that these species share the same dna patterns as humans making their hypothesis shockingly true. Eventually they learn that even though this species created the human race as we know it, they, for some reason, decided to destroy us (the whole ‘god giveth and god taketh away’ concept, right). With all the events that occurred in this movie, the message I got relating to this is, ‘Ok, so you want to believe in evolution and even go as far as to actively seek and find evidence for such. Well here is what your curiosity and your non-belief in creation gets you, destruction beyond your control and it will reek havoc that you can’t prevent, unless you die (which everyone except for Elizabeth and David did). Ha, creation theory is looking a lot better right than us evolving from a species that wants to destroy us.’

I could be going too extreme will all this but here is an idea how I function: if i come to different conclusions, feel uncomfortable about something, or particular feelings/thoughts occur immediately in my mind without much processing, usually it means that my observations are very legitimate to me. These are the things that came up right away for me. Someone else may not see any of this but I know for me, these themes were certainly there. At the end of it all, I couldn’t see a point to this movie other than to scare people or realistically speaking, capitalize on the Aliens franchise to make money off its name alone and my ass was suckered in to paying 9.50. When I see a movie, I don’t want to have to think about race, gender, and religion and this movie ruined that for me. Go see the movie and tell me if you think I was just tripping but for the time being, I dont think watching this again is in my future
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:01 pm

butteredpopcornmoviereviews:
Prometheus (2012)

With Prometheus, he creates a groundbreaking mythology, in which a team of explorers discover a clue to the origins of mankind on Earth, leading them on a thrilling journey to the darkest corners of the universe. There, they must fight a terrifying battle to save the future of the human race.

It takes a tremendous amount of balls to create a film so massive in scale and propose dozens of questions, build them up, and give them an answer they don’t want to hear. They all but spit the questions back into your face, and say deal with it. It may leave some viewers in a frustrated mood towards the film, but if you realize the films true intentions, you may get the same smirk on your face that I did. They were never here to find the meaning of life; they were just here to save it. It’s highly ambiguous and the epic journey is far better than any destination it could have brought you too.

If you’re looking for ties to the alien universe, it’s there, just not as much as you’d expect from a film constantly hyped as a prequel to Alien. This is a story that gives you an idea about how the later films may have come together in shape, but creates a much more epic tale in its universe. It isn’t about an alien race looking to kill its new occupants, but rather one about life, faith, death, evolution and the way that all fit together. For every argument it seems to side with, it quickly retaliates with a counter and juggles a back and forth view on things. The decision is mostly left up to its audience, but even then it seems to come up short. You will never fully understand it, which is what can be frustrating. You want them to hand it to you but they refuse to give you an easy answer. That’s why it was such a risk in what they tried to accomplish that earned them a lot of respect. Its story is the most ambitious one I’ve seen in the last 12 years (outside of Inception), and solidifies it as one of the best additions into the science fiction genre in a long time.

The journey they take is one of grand proportions. The world and en environment around them are completely blended in of CGI and physical sets, you can almost never tell them apart. The moon they spend the movie on is not only beautiful, but fascinating as well. The temples, caves, and structures are well constructed and add a much larger universe than the ones scene in the previous installments. For the first time, you get a true scope of just how massive the world really is. The audio is one of the best I’ve ever heard and when the ship takes off, you actually feel like you’re on the ground level watching it leave right in front of you. I just wish they would have played that dynamite score more often. It’s an overall fantastically made movie that hits on all sides.

The crew this time around feels more developed than the ones we’ve gotten in the past. The two lead scientists Shaw and Holloway, played by Rapace and Logan Logan Marshall-Green are freaking great. Rapace brings another strong female character in the film world that tops Ripley from the first film, but just below her in the second. The transformation and situations she has to overcome are cringeworthy due to her great performance in the most extreme situations. Logan Marshall-Green, relatively unknown, adds a lot of heart and sympathy to a film that seemed composed up of a lot of dark mysterious figures. His honest intentions became something you could latch n and root for. The cream of the crop has got to go the always amazing Michael Fassbender. He introduces us to a character that seems to have his own agenda that is terrifying when you consider his lack of morality. Whatever his true intentions are, they are always hidden to the point where you don’t know whether to hug him or stab him in the back when he turns around. It’s a difficult role that he made seem way too easy. The opening minutes of the film are when he’s at his best, but he is no doubt the strongest throughout. In very solid supporting roles, Idris Elba and Charlize Theron add characters that don’t necessarily get enough warranted screen time, but add intrigue and backbone to an already solid cast. Each character has at least that one moment to shine, but Rapace and Fassbender take you away.

If you were ever dying to see Ridley Scoot finally return to top notch form, he’s finally came back to us. It’s been a long wait, not just for him, but this franchise, to become relevant again that the expectations could’ve killed them both, but Prometheus lives up to the hype and delivers one of the year’s best films. It’s not the perfect kind of film, but it will surely be stuck in your thoughts for days with an urge to watch it again. It’s a world I can’t wait to revisit again, and I hope this time it doesn’t take 25 years to come to light again, it’s too good to be left on the shelf.

Overall Score: 9/10
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:02 pm

http://waitingforwinter.tumblr.com/post/24721974206/okay-but-for-real-now-prometheus-spoilers

Okay, but for real now PROMETHEUS SPOILERS.

I’m all up in here talking about Prometheus, so don’t f#%@#&! click the ‘read more’ if you don’t want spoilers. I don’t want someone complaining because they got spoilered after being told

THERE WILL BE SOME f#%@#&! SPOILERS UP IN HERE OKAY?

GOOD.

Anyways, hi. Prometheus.

DAVID YOU ARE THE BEST LITTLE ANDROID EVER OMG SO CURIOUS AND ADORABLE AND HEY SO YOU’RE BASICALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT ONE DUDE DYING, BUT HE WASN’T THAT INTERESTING ANYWAYS SO IT’S OKAY. SORRY ABOUT YOUR HEAD, BTW.

And total waste of Guy Pearce! Hi, old dude with gross feet and David washing his feet like he’s Jesus or something no thanks old dude. Conclusion: not an android.

I totally think Meredith was an android and I don’t even care if Ridley’s all “She’s not an android!” because: she’s a f#%@#&! android.

And hello, like, no one f#%@#&! bats an eye over the fact Elizabeth is running around covered in blood, stomach stapled, la la la. Riiiight. I mean, I suppose that’s only normal, cuz Weyland employees are pretty much cray cray so I guess that one can slide.

Everyone: NO DON’T TOUCH THAT, DAVID.

David: Okay. *touches*

Okay, so the space jockey dudes. WTF. What’s with the weirdo skin dissolving poison drink at the beginning? And what were they running from how did they die all smooshed up against the door like that? If they were being chased by snake penises, why didn’t the snake penises impregnate them?

Why were the face huggers snake penises in this one?

Why was the weirdo alien thing so big and tentacley?

YES I KNOW THE ALIENS EVOLVE WEIRD OR WHATEVER DUE TO WHATEVER SPECIES THEY ENCOUNTER BUT WHY IS THE ALIEN AT THE END SO f#%@#&! BIG AND WHY WERE THE LITTLE ONES SNAKE PENISES?

Okay. And. Hello. You are on a strange planet and there’s a snake p**** coming at you. DON’T TRY TO MAKE FRIENDS WITH IT. IT’S NOT LIKE A FLUFFY BUNNY, YOU ASSBUTT. IT’S A SNAKE p****. IT WANTS YOU DEAD.

I’m actually kinda sad David didn’t go crazy and kill everyone. I mean, okay, he did kill that one guy, but y’know, he couldn’t have really known what was going to happen. He was just, “I like looking at your girlfriend’s dreams, and this is crazy, but here’s some alien juice, so you can die maybe.”

Oh, and Elizabeth. Why? WHY WHY WHY? I mean, oh, sure, curiosity is nice and all, but the space jockey killed everyone and ripped off David’s head, and you STILL THINK GOING TO FIND THEIR HOMEWORLD IS A GOOD IDEA? THEY DON’T SEEM REASONABLE, ELIZABETH.

Meredith also wanted David. Like, a lot. You can’t convince me otherwise. Because: hot android sex. Duh.

Was it wrong that I really didn’t care about anyone on that ship besides David?

OH AND OMFG WITH ELIZABETH JUST LIKE, RIPPING HER UMBILICAL CORD HOLY s$#! GIRL WHAT.

David: So, you’re pregnant.

Elizabeth: What.

David: It happens when humans have sex.

Elizabeth: But I can’t get pregnant.

David: But you are.

Elizabeth: What.

David: Name it after me? Very Happy

IDK I mean, I guess I have more thoughts than that, but uh. Yeah. I just have to go track down every f#%@#&! article ever now and see if anyone knew what the f&#! they were doing with this movie.

THE END.
Text

Jun 8, 2012 9:57 pm
10 notes
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:03 pm

despairinthedeparturelounge19:
I liked Prometheus a lot better than Alien.

It just seemed that despite some of the predictable, cliche plot points, the storyline was better developed and it didn’t feel so rushed.

It was paced nicely and the acting was pretty fantastic (especially on Noomi and Michael’s part) and of course the camera work/cinematography and graphics were much better.

I haven’t seen any of the sequels to Alien so I can’t really have any criticism of that but I just felt that even though Sigourney Weaver did a great job in Alien, her character was a little under-developed (which I guess you could argue would help the set up for the sequels). The pacing was a little slow and disjointed at times and you could tell by the camerawork that something was about to happen, like when the alien burst from John Hurt’s chest.

Prometheus just seemed like it was written/made more thoughtfully.

The parts where Weyland was still alive and Vickers was his daughter and the whole bit where the engineers were planning to destroy earth was fairly predictable, but the rest of the film was entertaining and I kind of hope that they follow Shaw’s perspective in looking for the engineers’ origins.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:05 pm

gneisscleavage:
pretty minor Prometheus spoilers... and my thoughts

okay wow I’m on Reddit and apparently a lot of people disliked Prometheus… I thought it was amazing. D:

It kind of annoys me when people are overly critical about movies. Can’t you just go and enjoy it? And laugh about the parts that seem kind of silly or don’t make much sense? Just my thoughts. I like pretty much all movies. Take Battleship, that was a horrible movie. But it was so entertaining-ly horrible. I didn’t leave upset or anything that I went to see it because it made me laugh the entire time at the badness of it.

Though most people seem to have a unified opinion that David was the best character. I agree (and not only because I think Fassbender is cute I swear!) David was just awesome. Even if he was kind of a d***, I felt sorry for him. and I could see why he did what he did. He was constantly shamed for something he can’t really control (being an android). Also…it’s Fassbender.

One gripe I read was at the end part where the two characters were running from the ship that was falling and they kept running straight instead of jumping to the side. I thought that was kind of silly at first too but the more I think about it… Maybe they just DIDN’T think about running left or right instead of forward. Like seriously… they’re about to get smashed to death by a giant ship. I’m pretty sure my only thoughts would be “f&#! I’M GOING TO DIE RUUUUUUUUN”

okay I’m done. my verdict, LOVED Prometheus. Would see in theaters again
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:07 pm

http://thejessbeast.tumblr.com/post/24716830252/prometheus-spoiler-free-reaction-post

Prometheus Spoiler Free Reaction Post

That movie was legitimately terrifying.
Worth it.
I was stuck in front of two Fassy Fangirls, who were obviously from Tumblr, because they kept saying Tumblr things - throughout the entire movie.
That was not okay because Prometheus was very very good - building enough atmosphere and awe inspiring terror - and they just kept saying things like, “Oh look at that handsome shark.”
I get it - he’s awesome. I am not denying. He is a fine person and at one point I was exceedingly distracted by his shoulder-to-waist ratio.
But understand me on this point: Prometheus is not a Michael Fassbender train.
He is in it, but it’s like hot fudge in a Sundae - you need it there, but that’s not why you ordered the f#%@#&! Sundae.
I was able to lean far enough out of earshot to enjoy the movie, for most of it.

Conclusion: Utterly disturbing and excellently executed Sci-Fi goodness. I’d see it again, if I could stand to be that frightened once more.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:09 pm

derek237:
Prometheus review (no spoilers)

Prometheus is a scarring and devastating film, an excellent future-set thriller with some truly horrifying scenes and visuals that are wondrous to behold. It also offers great science fiction, with fresh and fascinating ideas that just about warrant Ridley Scott’s 30-year absence from the genre. It has a much larger scope than its sister film, Alien, which isn’t to say it’s better, but it’s more thoughtful.

It could almost serve as a response to his own 1979 film, which as good as it is, and as much as I love it, is an extraordinarily crafted “monster in the house” film. You may even notice that Prometheus’ general concept is strikingly similar to that of Alien Vs. Predator. I don’t know if Scott saw it, or if Prometheus is a response to that film, but here is Ridley Scott several decades later with a vast career under his belt, with lots of time to consider a companion piece to Alien, and the result is what happens when science fiction is actually taken seriously.

It’s a tried and true cautionary tale of defiant mortals seeking the knowledge of the gods and the horrific consequences that ensue. The title of the film and the name of the crew’s spacecraft isn’t just for kicks, afterall. The expedition to discover the possibilty of mankind’s inception is lead by a crew of scientists who follow ancient archaeological clues to a distant planet which takes years to reach. The crew is awakened from their hypersleep and are greeted by a hologram of Peter Weyland, who funded the mission, played by Guy Pearce in old man makeup, who looks straight out of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. He recalls, with what I think is a smile, the story of Prometheus and how he brought fire to the mortals. Of course he leaves out all the horrible things that happened to Prometheus afterwards, but, you know, details slip in old age.

It’s a movie about ideas, which I appreciated, it was not content to be a run-of-the-mill monster movie. Some truly interesting areas are explored, or implied, and there’s far too much for my little mind to wrap around with just one viewing. It features the scientists asking “why?” to the great eternal question, bluntly staring science and new possibilities to this question in the face…curiously, it does not bawk at or dismiss religion. At least not entirely. I kind of think it would be outright pompous to not at least put it on the table.

I thought the cast was exceptional- Michael Fassbender was indeed a standout, playing the ship’s android, David, and I really enjoyed the great Idris Elba as the ship’s captain. There are two strong female characters, played by Noomi Rapace and Charlize Theron, and wisely they are not presented as carbon-copies of Ripley, the role made famous by Sigourney Weaver. Their character traits are very different, but in a strange way, with their qualities, such as Theron’s character’s cold, no-nonsense attitude, and Rapace’s character’s vulnerability and willingness to move forward in the face of unspeakable horror, they could almost be mothers to her.

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, I thought it was brilliant, and yes, it was well worth the wait. Maybe the only portions I wasn’t entirely in love with was the final few scenes, which were there almost to satisfy anyone looking for something similar to the original Alien. Scott infamously said that it was not directly an “Alien” film, but fans would recognize strands of Alien’s DNA, which, seeing it now, I realize is oh so clever of him to say in more ways than one. It certainly puts the peices together to set the stage for Alien, but it stands alone as its own story with its own unique goals. A lot of things are left open and it seems to have set its own course for a sequel which may or may not happen. It’s a little frustrating in that sense, but Prometheus, like most good thought-provoking science fiction films do, decidedly raises more questions than it cares to answer.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top