Top News
WE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT MICHAEL-AN AWARD WINNING ACTOR

Congratulations to the cast and crew of "12 Years a Slave" winning an Oscar for Best Picture

Michael is currently filming "MacBeth"

Watch "12 Years A Slave" and "Frank" in theaters

Watch "The Counselor" and "12 Years A Slave" on DVD available now

Michael is set to star and produce on a film version of the video game "Assassin's Creed"

Completed projects: X-Men, Untitled Malik project

Upcoming projects Assassin's Creed, Prometheus 2, MacBeth,and more!

Header credit here

MFmultiply's Disclaimer

Order region 1 dvds-Amazon store

Order region 2-UK dvds-Amazon Shoppe

Please check the calender for films on TV, Theater, or dvd releases
August 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Prometheus previews and spoilers 2

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Prometheus previews and spoilers 2

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:10 pm

http://jebertsch.tumblr.com/post/24714482327/prometheus-review

Director: Ridley Scott

Writer(s): Jon Spaihts and Damon Lindelof

Composer: Marc Streitenfeld (additional music by Harry Gregson-Williams)

Cinematographer: Dariusz Wolski

Editor: Pietro Scalia

Starring: Noomi Rapace as Elizabeth Shaw, Michael Fassbender as David, Charlize Theron as Meredith Vickers, Idris Elba as Janek, Guy Pearce as Peter Weyland, Logan Marshall-Green as Charlie Holloway, Sean Harris as Fifield, Rafe Spall as Millburn

I have been eagerly awaiting Prometheus for months - ever since the first teasers started dropping. I have been a fan/afraid of the Alien franchise since college. When I was a kid, I made the mistake of watching Alien3 sometime in the fifth or sixth grade. Granted, it was on TNT, so most of the language and gore was edited out - but the atmosphere was there. And who hasn’t heard of the infamous chestburster scene from the 1979 original?

It was many years before I actually saw the first film in the franchise - I had seen the aforementioned noble misfire, James Cameron’s epic bug-hunt, and the embarrassing fourth film that was Alien In Name Only. The original is nearly thirty-five years old - but the scares and atmosphere hold up today. It’s still one of the most terrifying movies I’ve ever seen.

So Prometheus had a lot to live up to, not only to me but to fans of the franchise. I’m happy to report that, for the most part, Prometheus is a more-than-worthy addition to the storied franchise.

Some boilerplate legalese:

Spoilers Below. You Have Been Warned.

Follow below the jump for my review and analysis.

Prometheus opens at some undetermined point in Earth’s past (based on the scene that follows, probably 35,000 years ago). A white (as in, completely bone-white skin) figure, vaguely humanoid but somehow completely alien stands at a waterfall. He ingests some unknown substance as a hovering ship looms in the distance. The substance begins eating him from the inside out, and he plunges into the falls. His DNA, mutated and consumed by whatever he ingested, is dispersed throughout the water.

2089. The Isle of Skye, Scotland. Archaeologist Dr. Elizabeth Shaw (Rapace) has found something - an ancient cave painting depicting a giant figure gesturing towards a formation of stars, or planets. Shaw and her boyfriend, Dr. Charlie Holloway (Marshall-Green), argue over what the painting means. She insists it’s an invitation to come meet humanity’s progenitors. Holloway isn’t so sure.

2093. Funded by multi-trillion dollar company Weyland Industries, Shaw, Holloway, and a group of scientists in other disciplines travel aboard the vessel Prometheus to the planet depicted in the cave painting - LV-223. Also aboard Prometheus are company representative Meredith Vickers (Theron), advanced android David (Fassbender), and seen-it-all captain Janek (Elba).

Landing in a valley with artificial structures (“God doesn’t build in straight lines”, declares Holloway), a survey team investigates a pyramid-like structure. Sending remote probes to map the massive structure, the scientists (and David) manage to activate a recording of what happened to the former occupants. The holograms lead Shaw and company to a massive crypt featuring hundreds of urns…and a gigantic sculpted human head.

From here, the film ramps the tension level to 11; a slow-burn, cerebral, uneasy kind of suspense. Unlike the original Alien, Prometheus relies less on “jump” scares, and more on keeping the audience guessing and in anticipation of what lies around the next corner.

Some reviewers have decried the film for having a sense of “wonder”. This makes absolutely no sense to me. Science fiction films, at least the ones worth their salt, should instill a sense of wonder into the viewer. Especially this one, which asks many questions about from where humanity comes.

Visually, this is Ridley Scott’s most impressive film. He uses practical and CGI effects to outstanding results. The production design is just incredible. Prometheus (the ship) feels like a real starship, echoing the Nostromo from Alien in parts. The “alien” interiors feel at once like the 1979 original and a completely new setting.

The gore factor is surprisingly low, considering how gruesome the infamous “chestburster” scene was in Alien. Don’t take that statement for meaning there isn’t any body horror to go with the cerebral kind of horror I’ve described. Without giving away too much, there is a scene that parallels and re-interprets Kane’s Last Meal. But for the most part, the scares are more psychological than boogey man.

Marc Streitenfeld’s score complements the film perfectly. He created a bombastic, soaring theme that just works with the film’s tone, from the wide-eyed wonder of the early scenes, to the dread-filled middle and pulse-pounding ending. The theme is also Shaw’s theme, often heard whenever she is central to the plot.

Noomi Rapace, best known to American audiences as the original Lisbeth Salander (from the Swedish adaptations of Stieg Larsson’s Millennium trilogy), creates a different kind of strong-willed woman in Prometheus. She effortlessly picks up Ripley’s mantle as the heroine in the final act of the film, but that’s about where the similarities end. Shaw is vulnerable, goggle-eyed with wonder, determined, curious, and…religious? The overtones are there, but it’s not in-your-face as some reviewers have mentioned (or lamented, depending on the publication).

Charlize Theron had me convinced at certain points that she, too, was an android like Fassbender’s David. Unlike Paul Reiser’s Burke from Aliens, Vickers is not at all afraid to take matters into her own hands to protect the crew-and Weyland Industries’ bottom line. Idris Elba’s Janek has a couple of great laugh lines, but his role in the film is rather limited due to his non-scientific background. He is, for all intents and purposes, a glorified bus driver.

The scene-stealer, however, is Michael Fassbender. He’s made a career of that as of late. David is yet another wonderful Fassbender character, similar in some respects to Data from Star Trek: The Next Generation, but only if Data had a sense of humor and was willing to bend some ethics. David isn’t out-and-out evil like Ash from Alien, but he’s definitely hard to judge, scene to scene.

Does Prometheus live up to all the hype that’s been building for the last few months? Not quite. But very few films do. And that’s okay. Ridley Scott was the only director that could do an Alien prequel/prologue right, and he does. The only complaint I have is that the screenplay leaves a few too many threads dangling; I chalk that up to Damon Lindelof’s influence. He cut his teeth on Lost, a television program infamous for keeping viewers hooked for the next episode. But that’s okay as well. Even if the inevitable sequel is just as good as Prometheus, it will be worth the wait.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Fassbenderfans
Blogspot: http://mfmultiply.blogspot.com/
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:12 pm

nestafoo:
Prometheus Review

Prometheus was a well made film feeling like the start to the Alien franchise. Cinematography and pacing was excellent. Interesting story, structure and format will be the same to those whose seen the first Alien movie, but with minor changes like with my viewing experience when I saw ‘Alien’ I thought in a few scenes “Why didn’t they do this or that?” Well they did so in Prometheus which really gave it improvements and a much grander story. In conclusion, it’s inevitable the distance we go to ‘understand’ our existance. 9/10

I’d also like to point out Michael Fassbender’s performance as the android was mesmerizing. Even that word couldn’t describe his performance.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:13 pm

mikelewatt:
Prometheus has indeed landed.

I really enjoyed it. Let me cover the bad stuff first however. The script. It was quite weak, from the get go everyone spoke about ‘god’ this, ‘meeting our makers’ that, it was so grandiose and it just sounded as if everyone was saying stuff for the trailer. Real people don’t talk like this. The theme of ‘meeting our makers’ is fitting, however it was covered a bit lazily.

Also I have noticed a pattern emerge among the prequels and remakes of recent times, where by some of the major elements of the film are directly influenced by small references to the original work. The whole film can be seen as both a prequel and a re imagining of Alien. However I feel it works best when viewed without comparing it to the 1979 film, as it works standalone.

For example, the Shaw character is directly influenced by Ripley from Alien. She is the strong, surviving female heroine, who undergoes changes during the course of the film. She even gives birth in a brilliantly graphic scene which quite possibly could be used to sum up the entire franchise. Again, heavily inspired by the chest burster scene from Alien.
Giger’s bio mechanical design was also present, and I’m glad he was able to contribute some new stuff to the film too.

But the star of the piece was David. His whole part felt like Scott’s swan song to Blade Runner . However David was more akin to 2001’s Hal than Rick Deckard. His character provided important perspective to the idea of ‘meeting our makers’ and how we actually define ‘life’. However I felt the portrayal of how the others regarded him was slightly one dimensional, except the old man of course. Also what is up with old man Weyland? Why did it have to be Guy Pearce in funny make-up? Possible flash back in the sequel? Can’t see any other reason for it.

Why were the space jockeys planning to return to Earth to eradicate us? Have we become too much like our creators?

The film is also very relevant right now. With Craig Venter’s recent breakthroughs in synthetic genomics it is not far fetched to expect simple artificial life to be designed at the DNA level and created to adapt to a specific environment, say the surface of Mars. As a species we are already on the verge of becoming gods our selves. Who is to say that we weren’t created this way? The rules of probability are truly terrifying here.

Now onto the 3D, ah yes the 3d, kind of disappointed that I wasn’t able to see it in 2D, even Ridley Scott himself had been cited to have said that the film actually looks beautiful in 2D. It was initially fuzzy, washed out and blurry, but soon my eyes adjusted and I forgot that it was in 3D. The only places I felt the 3D really stood out, were in the space scenes, where I thought the effect was actually quite cool. That is all. 3D wasn’t terrible, mainly because you get used to it.

To finish, it was a very decent sci fi, and that counts for something. It’s obvious to see that it wasn’t the best that it can be, but let’s be realistic, a ‘big’ film like this will have some limitations, mainly due to having to perform well in the box office. But in all, it’s still decent. Also let’s face it, the age of intelligent and original sci fi is over. However the golden age of 60s and 70s original sci fi lives on in films like Moon, source code and perhaps Sunshine.

It’s best to enjoy Prometheus as a standalone film, separate to Alien.

And alas, the Lovecraftian space squid, was indeed neat.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

dropacid-seepolarbears:

Ridley Scott Marathon - #X Prometheus

I couldn’t make it through the marathon before the premier of Scott’s newest film, but I feel like it’s appropriate to slip it in anyways.

I guess it’s a good thing I didn’t see any of the Alien films before walking into this. I would’ve had too many preconceived notions about what I was about to see. But I still knew enough about what they were nodding at. That being said, this feels like two different movies, and it’s frustrating. One of them has original ideas and theories, while the other one is trying to be an Alien prequel. That is the biggest, ugliest blemish on this film’s large stone forehead. Aside from that, I’m biased towards the science fiction genre, and this truly could’ve been a masterpiece had it not tried so damn hard to be something else. The acting (despite some archetypal characters depicting paranoia, superstition, etc…) is nearly top-notch. I’m mostly referring to Fassbender, who is effortless as always. It’s Rapace’s finest role yet, and Theron is a slam dunk as always. Guy Pearce’s talent was wasted, which is unfortunate, but they can’t all be winners. And finally, Idris Elba… who I honestly think is on the fast track to become the next Samuel L Jackson. The special and visual effects are both seamless. Seriously, I can’t gush over that enough. They elevate the suspense to the next level. When it comes to everyone else criticizing the film for not answering enough of its own questions - that didn’t bother me. I think the writers made a bold move to not hold the audience’s hand. It doesn’t take mental gymnastics to figure some of it out.

7/10

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

cokedupjesus:
Prometheus was cool.

I never did a run down of The Avengers because everyone and their grandmother saw it. It was a great summer movie and fun to watch, but Prometheus is one of those great movies that pop out in the summer time to save you from things like Snow White or Pirates 5: Curse of the Were-Shark.

I’m not into writing reviews anymore because no one pays attention to them. But if I was, I’d say this was a hell of a good looking movie with a few good scares and fan service, but it kind of lacked in the forward momentum portion.

The whole premise is fine and the story is there, it’s just sort of thin on the explanations. Things happen and now we’re left at the whim of a 73-year-old director to give us another movie to fit in pieces of the puzzle.

That’s my only real complaint. I would have liked some sort of answer or addition to what we got. I was ready for a sequel anyway before the opening credits started.

It was an awesome movie though. Very cool to see and full of some very nice visuals. Certainly the opposite of Alien in every way.

It also poses questions that are pretty big for a summer movie, like the kind you lie on your bed at night thinking about after you’ve masturbated for the 8th or 9th time.

I just wish that there was more than just an intro to another long strand of movie yet to be made. The good news is that it is nothing like Lost.

Boosh.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:14 pm

hyperphonic:
Prometheus

…was wildly entertaining, despite the conflict between Ridley Scott and the studio in the writing process, which was evident amidst the movie’s atmosphere.

I can’t help but stick with the better judgment of the film just because the good parts were able to outweigh the flaws. And I was too caught up in the hype for too long to feel disappointment; I’m not only leaning more towards the positive side of the movie, but I’m just so satisfied from finally seeing it that I don’t care so much about the film’s weaknesses.

Nonetheless, I’m still upset by the obvious confusion between Ridley Scott’s perspective toward the movie (or, his prequel) and the writer’s agenda. Scott and the studio were looking in different directions while establishing an air for the film, and while both visions could have easily manifested two separate films, the final product came across as too ambitious and overabundant. But where Scott’s vision was detectable, it was the most effective, and I’m confident that he alone could’ve leveled the movie to an appropriate and creative light.

Michael Fassbender is responsible for 65% of the movie’s success, his character was probably the only vehicle for a sense of attachment that made me actually care what was going to happen to the rest of the characters. He ironically had the most personality and, funny enough, character development. Throughout the whole film I jumped back and forth between being on and against his side, and knowing the familiar position of robots in the Alien movies, I knew he had a significant hand in determining the fate of the characters.

Besides providing some of the most brilliant eye candy I’ve ever experienced, Fassbender’s performance really was one of the movie’s highest points. If anything, he should be a reason for anyone to see it.

But overall I’m very satisfied and happy that I finally saw this movie, although I think I should eventually see it again without IMAX or 3D in order to soak in the plot a bit better. My dad and I were so distracted by the effects that we spent an hour trying to delineate the sequence of events to make sense of the movie. However, the part we understood most was the last minute of the movie. That part was Scott’s was of saying, “Kiss my ass, Hollywood, I do what I want.”

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:15 pm

mycrazyfantasyblog:
Just got back from seeing Prometheus.

SPOILER ALERT.

Friggin’ awesome movie, but can we just take a moment to appreciate how BADASS Elizabeth Shaw is? She spent half the movie running from imminent death with her stomach stapled shut after performing an emergency c-section on herself with a surgical machine designed exclusively for MEN. AND she survived a gigantic alien ship crashing onto the planet mere yards away from her while she ran for her life, then prevented an octopus alien thing (which she had, in fact, removed from her own stomach) from eating her by feeding it a live humanoid alien that had come to kill her (after she basically broke his ship) all the while running on weird space juice and pain medication to distract from the fact that she had literally cut herself open to remove a baby alien parasite a few hours prior and the incision would have barely begun healing yet.

BADASS MOFO OF THE YEAR AWARD.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:15 pm

foxtrotsierra:
So, "Prometheus" was AMAZING (spoiler-free)

Visually stunning, well-acted (especially Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender), AND it had a lot of philosophical weight to it that puts the Alien series in a whole new light for me.

I’ve only seen the first two Alien movies, and while I liked them, they are merely “scary-thing-on-a-ship” compared to this. The existential questions the plot poses about the creation of man are incredibly intriguing and not only give the franchise more depth and meaning, but they also help make sense of a lot of stuff from the other movies.

I’m really hoping we get more movies out of this, especially to learn more about the Engineers. They seem like a fascinating culture, and I’d like to learn more about their connection with the Xenomorphs.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:16 pm

evolvesticker:

Authors note: I’m really not a f#%@#&! conservative. Thanx.

Spoiler alert: PROMETHEUS is the single gnarliest pro-life film ever made.

Ridley Scott, ideologue or not, has created a monster worthy of gross misinterpretation by dumb-as-sand conservatives on a scale not seen since If You Give A Mouse A Cookie was taken on by Grover Norquist for its implicit statements on the failure of the welfare state.

Allow me to elaborate. Set in a world of conservation minded, well funded scientists searching for extra terrestrial life (sounds like unsustainable government largess to me), a corporate honcho (yay! the new bringers of science and enlightenment—self interested corporations) sends a team into space to find a cure for death.

Well from there, s$#! gets ugly. The Godless robot (well educated liberal) causes our heroine to lose her own faith in God while simultaneously facilitating her impregnation with an alien octopus. Without the fear of the almighty, she then gives herself an abortion. Not just any abortion, but the greatest, most visceral, mechanical, late term abortion you will ever see in 3D.

Then because it’s all pissed on not getting a shot to go play with the other un-aborted kids in the Westboro Baptist Church picket line, the alien baby proceeds to impregnate a super being with its wicked spunk, spawning a race of aliens some bitch named Ripley will have to deal with later.

f&#!. That’s a mouth full.

But seriously…it’s a great film if only because it’s so caught up on the life dilemma. Who gets to live? Who chooses? Who dies? Who is free from death? What will save us all? What deserves to be saved? Wonderful meditation on the human condition extrapolated in the hyperreality of distant time and space on a not-so-unrealistic trajectory from our present course.

Most intriguing in the mix of sub-plots and roving elements of reference is Michael Fassbender as a conniving robot man. If the film channels mythic synchronicity surrounding Prometheus, the titan who stole fire from the gods for mankind, it is Fassbender’s character that is the true Promethean figure.

Implicit in his character arc is the oft-unspoken human notion that the celebrated “fire” of the original myth was indeed language and communication. Scott’s lesson du jour is perhaps that when we enter the world of language we play with fire and flirt with doom.

The David character is a master of language. He communicates with the sleeping titan (oh f&#!, I’m sorry have you not seen the film yet? were you too f#%@#&! stupid to keep reading through the initial spoiler alerts), he reads the cryptic inscriptions and even interprets them in a haptic way so as to make them ignite in a contained blaze. Wonderful allegory all around.

Like Prometheus, who rises above his station to attain the gift of fire, David stretches beyond the cybernetic bigotry of his crew mates to grasp something of the human tradition that is not rightfully his. He suffers accordingly. It ain’t quite getting his liver pecked out everyday by an eagle, but in speaking fateful words to the titan, David loses the use of his body. My my, what a faustian bargain.

If I haven’t already totally f&%$#& up your perspective of this film, go see it anways. It’s intense and rich in metaphor and has Stringer Bell singing Crosby, Stills and Nash. Word.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:18 pm

http://www.movieviral.com/2012/06/08/movie-review-prometheus/#more-32672

Movie Review: Prometheus
June 8, 2012 By Kris 3 Comments

It’s not an Alien prequel, they said. It’s just set in the same universe, they said. Whatever the warnings, Prometheus is still a film that shouldn’t disappoint. It explores the universe of Alien, and if you are exploring the universe of something it could ruin how you view the original. So, what does Prometheus contribute to one of the greatest films of all time? Find out in my spoilerish review after the break.

I warn you right now: If you are looking for more information on the Alien story, you won’t get much. Anything you learn about them is almost accidental because it’s not even on the same moon planet. Instead, we focus more on our “Engineers,” the alien species that created us. Whatever questions you had about the Alien movie, ignore it. Now that we got that out of the way, let’s give proper respect to the characters. We have Micheal Fassbender playing David, an android/son of Weyland, and ironically he’s the most interesting character there. Being the creation of humans, and humans finding their creators, gives us a very interesting viewpoint. Charlize Theron plays Meredith Vickers, the owner of Prometheus, and Noomi Rapace plays Elizabeth Shaw, one of the scientists that lead the mission. Together they make up the Ripley-esque character we see in any Alien-related movie and while not in any way impressive, they are all fun to watch. Idris Elba is the captain and consequently the only black guy on the ship, which typically forces some fun tropes. Everyone else is overshadowed. They weren’t painful to watch, but they weren’t amazing either, with the exception of David.

These characters didn’t allow for a legendary story some people were hoping, and it didn’t even give us a great one. It was good at best; competent at its worst. It isn’t an action story or even horror, it’s exploration that you would feel in something like 2001: A Space Odyssey. This isn’t a bad thing, but it’s not the kind of movie you expect to see with such big budget and confidence nowadays. In a world were we focus so much on eye candy and explosions, it’s a nice surprise to have a space exploration film with philosophy tagging along. There is a lot of the Alien mythos explained while still getting your fair share of creatures, even though none of it actually relates to Alien’s story. Anything that gives you that illusion is a marketing tool. That’s my biggest problem with the movie, because even the movie itself drops hints at Alien to get you interested but then takes you on a different direction that you didn’t ask for. The ending was a piss poor excuse for an apology and felt extremely forced. The two different sets in the movie are wonderful, though. It’s a bit redundant, but there is plenty of detail to keep you interested. However, don’t bother with 3D.

The movie by itself is nothing big. The universe of Alien is more understood, but it was answering questions I wasn’t asking in the first place. It was more disgusting than frightening, and in the end, it’s a philosophical movie Ridley Scott wanted to make, but couldn’t market it without giving it an Alien look. It wasn’t bad, and I didn’t hate it, just disappointed.

Rating: 3 1/2 Stars

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:19 pm

http://radiokunlun.tumblr.com/post/24708253889/okay-so-let-me-begin-by-saying-that-almost-all-of

Radio K'un L'un

Okay, so let me begin by saying that almost all of the “commentary” about androids and artificial intelligence in Prometheus is so vapid and made up of forty-third-hand ideas about the subject that it crosses a boundary into incomprehensibility. You’re not a real boy! You don’t know what it means to be afraid! Blah, blah, blah.

What interests me about the character of David is not these things (though I am, in general, extremely interested in the philosophy of artificial intelligence and have spent a great deal of time working on thought problems it raises) but rather his separateness throughout the film.

One of the key facts we’re given about David is that he’s obsessed with the film Lawrence of Arabia. I have to admit that this slightly made my heart leap. When I was fourteen years old, I became tremendously obsessed with T.E. Lawrence. I pasted photocopied pictures of him from the Paris Peace Conference in my locker and my notebooks; I read every available scrap of information; I became a miniature expert on him. I actually disliked (and still dislike) the film because I find it inaccurate and overly flamboyant, but present in the film is a shadow of the separateness that marked Lawrence out all of his life. It’s difficult to diagnose or categorize this separateness— he was illegitimate, queer in some sense, obsessively isolated, masochistic, and throughout his life he sought out situations in which he would be foreign: as a Englishman living amongst Arabs, as a highly educated man serving at the lowest level of the military. Yet all of these things seem like the side-effects or epiphenomena of some other, existential isolation. Lawrence, in an important and central sense, simply did not experience the world in the same way as other people. This point of contact between him and David is what I find interesting.

Here is a cut for detailed discussion of scenes in Prometheus…

In the opening scenes on board Prometheus, we see David going about his daily life in total isolation. He watches films, bleaches his hair, studies ancient languages, plays games.* He’s quite unaffected by the absence of other people. The only hint we get that he might long for human contact is that he watches Dr. Shaw’s dreams. Even this is open to interpretation: does he merely want to understand them? Does he find them intellectually fascinating?

This private life— orderly, faintly peculiar, idiosyncratic— is the footprint of an inner world we don’t get a chance to see when David interacts with the Prometheus crew. It’s interesting that conversation concerning David’s android-ness is always centered on what’s missing, what humans have that’s essential and not open to replication— when what we see portrayed is that David equally has areas of inner life that humans can’t enter. Can a human understand what’s enjoyable and appealing about that strange little world on board the silent spaceship? Can a human understand David’s reaction to the alien life, or to the wondrous alien ship he finds and wakes?

David’s experience of the world makes him fundamentally separate. It’s not really possible for him to communicate with human beings (in a way that goes beyond niceties and deception) because of this basic lack of shared concepts. Or perhaps I should say shared context— it’s similar to the way in which someone might live amongst a foreign people and manage to make most of the right gestures and say most of the right things, yet lack an essential understanding of why these are the right things and the right gestures. (There’s a whole Wittgensteinian discussion associated with this, but it is definitely too long for Tumblr.) The incomprehensibility is a product of the meeting of two sides— but, in the case of David, it’s not possible to return from the foreign land. There is no place to return to. The whole earth— indeed, the whole universe— is a foreign country.

(I know that in the Alien universe there are other androids. We don’t see them in this film. But it’s interesting to contemplate what interaction between androids might be like. Would they form a community?)

For Lawrence, the world was much the same. One has the sense, reading about his life, that he was afflicted by homelessness. He traveled so much, yet mostly away from things. He lived in barracks, archaeological digs, army tents. He built himself a cottage, but treated even that as impermanent. He didn’t really have a home on the earth.

(What does it mean to have a home? Is it a site of comprehension? A place where you can go and have your language heard?)

One of Prometheus’s failures is that it doesn’t coherently explain David’s motives for wanting to wake the Engineer. But one possible reading of this is that he wants to meet someone more like himself. Someone inhuman. Someone who designed the maps in the alien ship. There’s a childish quality to David (something else, actually, that he shares with Lawrence), and it’s possible to interpret a note of: “Are you like me? Are you my kin?” in his reaction to the whole notion of alien life. Which makes his semi-end even more tragic…

*This is, by the way, my idea of a paradisiacal existence.
Posted 1 day ago

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:20 pm

duked1989:
'Prometheus' Review

“Prometheus”, the sci-fi thriller that marks Ridley Scotts return to the genre, is a cerebral and intense motion picture that asks a lot of challenging questions in an attempt to be more than the average blockbuster. Does it exceed? Well my answer would be yes…but only barely.

Most people, like me, were fairly excited when they learned Scott would return to science fiction. He is responsible for two of the best films of the genre, “Alien” and “Blade Runner”; and when word spread that his newest film would be a sort of quasi-prequel to “Alien”, taking place in the same universe, lots of rumors began to swirl as to what exactly we would be getting.

Well, the story here revolves around two scientists, Elizabeth Shaw and Charlie Holloway, who have discovered various ancient cave carvings and drawings across the globe from different cultures that depict the same scene, people worshipping tall creatures pointing to a cluster of stars. Because these civilizations never had any contact, and because the star cluster is located so far from earth that humans would have never known it existed, Shaw and Holloway go to the large and powerful Weyland Industries to get funding for a trip to these planets, one of which just so happens to contain a moon that might be able to support life. But why risk so much on such a long and expensive journey? Shaw and Holloway believe that the drawings they found are an invitation from “engineers”, intelligent life forms that created life on earth, and they as well as the founder of Weyland Industries hope to find the origins of life, and the reasons for our existence.

When the crew headed by Meredith Vickers, a strict representative from Weyland Industries, reaches the moon what they find might not only provide the answers to life that they were looking for, but also bring about the very destruction of that life. All exacerbated by members of the crew, including an all too human android named David, who appear to have hidden agendas.

The entire plot is very thought-provoking. Mainly because the questions brought up, such as the creation of life, planet seeding, and trying to find the answers to why we are here, are all challenging and universal. The only problem is that it doesn’t do very much to answer any of them. There is a bit of ambiguity surrounding the events of the film that I did in fact enjoy. There are times when it leaves thing open for interoperation, understanding that in reality many of these questions can’t be answer, and instead just provides alternative explanations. This is all fine, what bothered me though was when many of these themes were just dropped from the film after only being brought up once. For instance, there is a moment in which Shaw and Holloway talk about god and how if these “engineers” are responsible for life, should she remove her cross necklace because it means a god doesn’t exist. In the very same conversation one of them questions the important of life if it can be created so easily. Both are very intriguing notions, but both never really come up again. Yes, the audience can take what happens in the story and try to make their own assumptions as to god and the importance of life, but the real issue is that the characters themselves never really do this.

This mostly has to do with my second big issue of the film, which was the lack of really any development of the crew members outside of Shaw. One thing I enjoyed about “Prometheus”, which is one thing I loved about “Alien”, was that it takes it time. It doesn’t really jump right into the action. The major difference is that whereas in “Alien” the crew members seem to all have their own personalities and we get enough of each to care or at least make us think we know them, “Prometheus” fails to make anyone, besides a very select few members of the crew, have any development. This wouldn’t usually be an issue even if death in horror films is made more effective when those threatened are people we care about; but considering stuff that happens in the end, when some of the characters make decisions that could typically make for rather emotional moments but alas because we know nothing about them it just doesn’t hit as hard as it could. So with more development, not only could there have been more of an emotional connection with the crew, it would have also let them have more time to contemplate all these questions the film asked. It makes me wonder and hope that a director’s cut will be released.

Thematic and character issues aside, the film is damn near perfect on a visual and heart pounding intensity level. The set designs, of the ship Prometheus and foreign world for example, are stunning. This comes as no surprise given that Scott has always been very good at creating futuristic worlds. His use of 3-D was also incredibly effective. It isn’t used simply as a gimmick, nothing made to come shooting out of the screen for scares, it is just there to add a bit of depth which I like.

As for the horror/thriller aspects of the story….well the first thing that came to mind when I walked out of the theater was that what I just watched was absolutely insane. Like “Alien” it just has those totally shocking, eerie and at times bloody moments that are not for the squeamish. This was incredibly satisfying of course; of all the things I wanted from the film, to feel completely uncomfortable at times and just stunned by what I was seeing on screen was one of them. It is in these two ways, the visual beauty and intensity, in which the film really makes up for some of the previously mentioned flaws.

Another of the films redeeming qualities are the performances from the main cast, which were generally great. Michael Fassbender steals the show, as the eerie and impassive android David. Fassbender is always brilliant, and the mystery and wonder he brings to David makes for a fascinating but also unnerving character. Noomi Rapace (Shaw) was also wonderful. She is one of the better actresses to emerge in the past few years, and the emotion and horror really work all the better when being channeled through her. Also, Charlize Theron is at her stone cold bitchiest and Idris Elda just continues to prove he is one of the coolest individuals around, which made them both fun to watch. The supporting cast held their ground I guess, though most were just the stereotypical hard-ass’s “just here to get paid” while being complete morons until their inevitable death.

So in the end, I can say that I did in fact highly enjoy “Prometheus”. It works on a whole lot of levels, in being both visually stunning and intensely thrilling. Its only fault is that it tried to be a bit too smart, asking far too many questions, and not having answers to most of them. Perhaps on another viewing, or given more time to mull it over…or if a director’s cut comes out with more story and characters…then I will think more highly of the themes it attempts to tackled. Until then I can only admire it for being a better than average sci-fi thriller blockbuster and at least trying to strive to be challenging and thought provoking, and maybe that is enough, but I can’t help feel a little let down.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:22 pm

http://thehipsterswede.tumblr.com/post/24706638231/my-thoughts-on-prometheus

8 June 2012 @ 6:46 PM
tags:
#Prometheus
#Spoilers
#Spoiler
My thoughts on Prometheus

This will contain some spoilers, although not any major ones, so I’m going to place this under a cut

The movie was… Not bad, certainly not, but not very good either. It exceeded my expectations but not when it came to the plot, which was a real pity because if this movie had had a better plot it would make me orgasm die of joy.

The plot was, meh kind of. Nothing special at all actually, just what you would have expected from a movie labeld as horror (at least in Sweden) about a team of scientists seeking out aliens and then the aliens turn out to be evil and everybody dies and yada yada yada. You know the story. Anyway, after reading the reviews I hadn’t expected anything else, so atleast it didn’t let me down plot wise

About the horror part, was it scary? I really wish I could say yes here, I really really wish, but I cant. No, nope no no nope, the movie was not scary. I few jumpscares, yes but quite frankly the hunger games made he more scared than Prometheus did. Which disappointed me quite alot, since the original alien movies made me act as if I was sitting on needles.

Actors, no surprise here. Everyone does a good job, especially Noomi Rapace, and I can’t find anything major to complain about.

Now, lets talk about what made this movie worth seeing. THE VISUAL.
Seriously the 3D effects must have been the best I’ve seen in my life. They were magical, amazing, magnificent, beautiful, worthy a god. you name it, the 3D was it. I had chills running down my spine because of the 3D so many times I’ve lost count. My face was litterly like this:

Through the major part of the movie. There was even this particular scene with Michael Fassbender where he activated some kind of star map that filled the whole room the was in. And it was SOOOOOO beautiful I cried. I am 100% serious here, the whole scene with the audio and the visual and the 3D made me cry. Because I was so f#%@#&! beautiful I would pay the 12$ the movie cost just for that scene.

Also the way they liked it together with the first Alien movie was so amazing I sqeed out loud at some point (it was supposed to be a scary point, the grown men next to me stared as if I had grown a second head or something (they stared even harder when I was grinning like an idiot when a head exploded))

When that is said I will have to say that the good definitely outweighs the bad and the movie is absolutely something I would recommend if you enjoy science fiction movies.
1 day ago

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:23 pm

http://lindsaykisa.tumblr.com/post/24706430236/an-inarticulate-summary-of-prometheus

An Inarticulate Summary of “Prometheus”

Ooh, Noomi Rapace
Wait, are those flip-flops
Ooh, face tattoos
David, don’t touch
No
David stop
Why would you do that
DAVID
NO
Well, s$#!, you’re gonna die next
Why would you talk to it like a f#%@#&! puppy
No
Stop
Dammit Tattoo Face
Well that sucks
David, you little bitch
JESUS CHRIST THIS ABORTION
AH NO
*Fidgeting*
Eughhhh
Damn, his toes look nasty
DAVID
Well, he got what he deserved
Whoops, that’s a broken spine
Run SIDEWAYS not FORWARD
Ha, his arms look silly
“Highschool Days”, but with androids
Ya know, he looks kind of cute
HOW DOES THIS COME FULL CIRCLE
SCOTLAND

1 day ago

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:23 pm

hezagons:

I just saw Prometheus. All-in-all, it was a good movie that had the potential for greatness; unfortunately, it fell short. It was very well paced with a slew of visceral jabs erupting as the film approached its end, but it failed to provide the final punch. Also, it is apparent that Ridley Scott “dumbed-down” some elements of the film. It lacked subtlety and some of the dialogue was very unbelievable. Towards the beginning of the film, characters underwent major emotional shifts that felt unwarranted. And some very interesting themes—namely creation and artificial intelligence—were poorly explored. This is the most disappointing aspect of Prometheus, especially considering it is directed by the man behind Blade Runner.

On a brighter note, the cast was great. Michael Fassbender’s portrayal of David 8 was appropriately emotionless. Idris Elba was charismatic as Janek. Charlize Theron was, well, cold as usual. Noomi Rapace was very interesting in her role as Elizabeth Shaw; although some of her dialogue was poorly written, she successfully portrayed herself as stricken, skeptical, and courageous. Awards probably won’t be allocated, but she has left a mark nonetheless and I look forward to seeing her in future films.

So, to reiterate, the film was well paced and very interesting, but did not resonate as deeply as it could have. I definitely recommend a viewing if you’re a Ridley Scott or an Alien fan, but it won’t be the most talked about film this summer amongst cinephiles or casual viewers.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:24 pm

42inchtv:
Some Thoughts On 'Prometheus'

“Prometheus” is a great and gorgeous movie as long as you don’t think about it too hard. Which is the biggest issue you’ll have with Ridley Scott’s first science-fiction film since the overrated “Blade Runner”: it wants you to think too hard.

Filled with weighty questions like “Why are we here?,” “Where did we come from?” and “Who created us?” “Prometheus” pretends that it’s more than an action film. It’s really not. By the time the third act rolls around, everything is familiar and expected. Even the film’s scares feel routine: You know the two idiots left behind in the alien cave are going to get brutally murdered by some alien monster the minute they separate from the group. And so on. Besides, anything you can’t figure out from basic movie knowledge was spoiled for you by the film’s marketing campaign, which revealed many moments from the end of “Prometheus.” BUT NO SPOILERS, RIGHT GUYS?

Damon Lindelof co-wrote “Prometheus” (the other credited screenwriter, Jon Spaihts, turned in the initial script, which apparently was too close to an “Alien” prequel for Ridley Scott’s comfort — even though the film is an “Alien” prequel) and it winds up having a lot of the same issues that people had with “Lost.” Only “Lost” was much more satisfying, if only because it had developed characters and easily understood motivations.

Everyone in “Prometheus” is a cliche — the hard-ass, the seen-it-all pilot, the naive scientist, the hot dog, the scared scientist, and the dozen redshirts — and no one behaves in any way that makes sense. All those horror movie cliches that “The Cabin in the Woods” expertly mocked? They’re present in “Prometheus,” along with a ridiculous subplot involving the film’s resident android, David (Michael Fassbender, pure brilliance), that pretty much makes no sense. Not only does David know everything about everything, he also does things to both Logan Marshall-Green and Noomi Rapace (playing the de facto leads) that never get explained or discussed the minute after they’re done.

People telling you that “Prometheus” is great because it leaves the big questions unanswered are kinda fooling themselves. It leaves every question unanswered. Mystery is great; gaping plot holes are not. Lo for the days of the Hatch and the Numbers and “We have to go back!”

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:25 pm

folknpotatoes:
Prometheus Review

Without saying too much, or revealing vital plot lines, I can sum up Prometheus’ complexity as being often too complicated and inconsistently so. It was sometimes alienating because of the jargon and idioms reserved for the Ridley Scott flavor of science-fiction. What might appear as a negatively foreboding comment, is not meant to deter anyone willing to participate and follow a twisted “ancient aliens” story, because it is a fascinating science-fiction thriller, it is really just a way to explain what one should be attuned to before seeing this movie. It is riddled with classic creature horror and a very dense, very tense, very Ridley Scott atmosphere.

And, yes, everything is dripping wet.

The only thing detracting from full suspension of disbelief is a dialogue that seems as mundane as its sub-plot. And, in times of necessary expression, the characters leave us with an obnoxious after-taste and a guilt for accepting their actions; with some of those actions not staying true to their character base -set up within the first act of the film. The core concepts introduced and worked into the story feel restrictive, but, in a way, that is the only “downfall” of the script that is to be expected considering the role those concepts have to play within the universe they occupy.

The sets were such a tremendous relief from used and over-done new-age CGI sci-fi, and the actors seemed to be living the roles rather than acting them out because of this immersion. It’s just too bad the script fell short of the cast’s prowess and paled in comparison to the meticulous details found within the setting. [Stand out performance by Michael Fassbender]

To put my feelings and thoughts about Prometheus in perspective, a more layman analogy, it felt like going to a buffet with a tremendous appetite, only to find myself eating one plate’s worth of food. In any other situation this would have been enough, but with a potential buffet and an initially ravenous appetite [for depth and adventure] I felt as though being “satisfied” wasn’t nearly enough. I wanted my belly to burst. (pun intended)

I was entertained, no doubt about that.
It was a beautiful movie, there’s no denying that either.
But the banquet of other-worldly exploration and the promise for depth of character that was made to me seems to have been delivered half-heartedly.

…but, often, this is the detriment of the science-fiction film enthusiast -and of a person with an appetite like mine.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:26 pm

lohau:
so let's talk about prometheus

like wow all of the effects and renderings and designs and concepts and i want their suits and holy jeez the scene with david and the galaxies i am so so happy that i went to see it in 3d it was so beautiful. if you haven’t seen it but are going to go see it, watch it in 3d. it is a visual paradise.

the storyline was okay and the acting done by michael fassbender as david was phenomenal; the reviews didn’t over exaggerate his performance at all. personally, i think that the cast did their parts very well but the plot was not as compelling or interesting as it could have been.

my favorite scene was probably when shaw was squirming in the pod. or s$#! when milburn and fifield are attacked that was great. or when david was being an asshole to everybody so like the entire movie.

overall, it is a great movie and i would go see it again.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:27 pm

365moviechallenge:
#107 - Prometheus (2012)

Despite my pleading, my boyfriend dragged me to the theaters this afternoon to watch Ridley Scott’s newest film, Prometheus.

A group of scientists travel to the farthest corners of the universe to discover the origins of mankind. Along for the ride are Dr. Holloway and Shaw, who provide the love story, a robot named David, and a super-angry, leather-wearing Charlize Theron.

The review I heard before watching it was, “Good, not great.” I couldn’t sum this movie up better. I think it was an interesting story, but it got a little boring and forgettable about half-way through. I guess the main reason I will forget about this movie in six months is that I had no reason to invest in the characters or the story. Although, I very much liked Michael Fassbender’s character (but that was probably just because it was Michael Fassbender.)

Rating: 6.5/10

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:27 pm

litrock:

My review of Prometheus. Entirely spoiler-free.

I wanted to like Prometheus, I really did. It’s a gorgeous film, and it hinted at some amazing concepts as its story slowly builds. It could have been great. Fassbender does some amazing (even for him) work, and Scott is on his game in a way he hasn’t been in ages.

But David Lindelof’s script is an infuriating mess, full of bad decisions and even worse thematic laziness, and takes a bunch of great concepts and just refuses to do anything with them. I have never been so angry with the script of a movie I otherwise liked, and I don’t know if a movie has ever made me so torn.

The takeaway? I truly think people should see Prometheus. In a theater and in 3D, even. It uses the technology well, and it’s visually rich in a way science fiction films never get the budget to be anymore. It’s pretty incredible when it works, I just wish it did it more often, and didn’t land with the thudding idiocy of a screenwriter who can’t write.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:28 pm

bertophsky:

PROMETHEUS

to be honest it was sort of a let down. i think it was because when i first saw the trailer i kept my expectations a little too high.

i def won’t hate on the dp/director, RIDLEY SCOTT KILT IT, but the story and dialogue was, well just eh.
again i’m sure i’m just hating because i was just ready to be completely blown away.

my brother made a good point when i asked him what his thoughts were on the movie. turns out the co-writer to the movie was also a co-writer to Lost. i know i’ve professed my nerd love for Lost, but that was just a tv show that was new/fresh and had a scifi twist. im a sci-fi nerd sometimes. a lot.
if that was ever made into a movie it would suck. a lot.

SO after finding out that the co-writer of Lost was the co-writer of Prometheus i’m like OHHHHHHHH ok. oh he also did the story/writing for Star Trek & Cowboys and Aliens. if you didn’t like those then IDUNNO.

COULD have been a better movie. OK ok kay k. it was a good movie and visuals were intense and crazy (ALSO I ACTUALLY GOT SQUIRMISH IN A SCENE, rarely happens but dam it was tough to stomach), but i think you also won’t like the story as i did.

WATCH PROMETHEUS.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:28 pm

magnolia20:

8/10

Despite the plot holes and inexplicable behavior by most of the characters, I enjoyed this movie. The effects are great and so is the acting. My favorites are Fassbender, Rapace, Elba and Marshall-Green. They’re  pretty much the only characters you come to care for.

I wasn’t scared like I expected to be (all previous Alien films scared the hell out of me) and it didn’t even gross me out, but it’s entertaining.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:29 pm

kevinless:

When I really enjoy a movie, I read a good number of reviews just to see what critics thought worked and didn’t work. I mostly do it so I can further my understanding of a film and appreciate things I might not have noticed the first time. I did that for Prometheus, and I wanted to respond to a few general criticisms (positive and negative):

“Most of the characters weren’t developed.”
Well, it is an action/sci-fi movie, and if you’ve seen any of the original Alien movies, you know most of them dying is a foregone conclusion. It was pretty clear that Ridley Scott was purposefully mirroringAlien (1979) in many respects (dammmmmnnnn at that final ‘escape’ scene), so it’s hard for me to get mad considering they were even less developed back then. I was satisfied with the varying level of character development each character received, save for Charlize Theron’s character Miss Vickors considering her screen time. The one big reveal about her character was frankly not surprising and did little to add dimension to her ‘ice queen’ persona. I’m willing to forgive this because of her primary outfit (those wedges, man).
“The film did not adequately answer the questions it proposed.”
The plot of the movie was that the characters were trying to find out WHY we are here, not us. It frankly would have been silly and a bit uppity for this film to answer that question. I felt that it brilliantly gave us a few options, letting us latch onto whichever character we wanted and maybe feel a bit torn about it. Also, I think it is far more powerful for a film to make is question something rather than outright giving an answer. And really, it is clear there will be a sequel, so there is more to be said.
“Noomi Papace’s character Elizabeth Shaw could have been better.”
Shut up, her character and the way she played it was perfect. In this kind of movie, her role as a survivalist was always going to be the most important thing, and she performed as such with aplomb. I can only hope Sigourney Weaver has seen the film and approves of her performance. Weaver was given four films to develop Ripley, and Shaw did more than expected of her in just one film.
“Michael Fassbender as David the Android was the highlight of the film.”
Absolutely. From his first scene (nice nod to Alien: Resurrection with the basketball), I was enraptured by him. His character/performance provided complexity and uncertainty in spades. I could have watched just him the entire film and been satisfied, and it honestly has nothing to do with his looks, though I will say the way he walked was adorable. His speech and physical mannerisms were stellar, and I would be quite satisfied if he ends up getting some nominations come award season for this. One of the most incredible and meaningful moments of the film came from him as well, and I don’t think many noticed it. I won’t spoil it, but if you have seen the film, try to thing about how bags were used near the beginning and end of the film. I feel it was the closest director Ridley Scott came to answering the lofty questions the film proposed, and I commend him for doing it so subtly.
“The 3D effects and set design in general were some of the best the genre has everseen.”
Holy s$#!, yes. Ridley Scott is 74 years old, and he did did some of the best 3D work every seen his first time out. The scenery throughout the movie was exemplary, and I am so happy I saw it in authentic IMAX.

Okay, I’ll stop talking your ears off, but consider this my “review” of the film. I f#%@#&! loved it, and you really need to see it. ALSO, they gave out these great posters after the premiere!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:31 pm

http://jack-burton.tumblr.com/post/24699968548/seriously-intense-spoilers-and-a-lot-of

seriously intense spoilers!!!! and a lot of rambling that probably makes no sense out of context???

i really REALLY LOVED Prometheus so much. it’s the first time in a while that a movie has invoked absolute revulsion in me, i actually felt nauseous at several points.

its cast really did a great job, they were exactly what they needed to be, imo. i do really wish they had kind of focused a bit less on David though???? like, i get the parallels between the humans wanting to understand their creators reasons for giving them life, and David wanting the same thing from the humans, but he shouldn’t have been the focus of the movie.

Shaw should have been expanded on much more. they never pushed her far enough into the spotlight to really let us know and understand her. she’s religious, but we never get a true sense of her devout faith. she’s driven by her desire to find out where humans have come from, but we never actually see how desperate she is for it. Charlie actually comes across as more of a believer than her.

they actually fell into the mystical pregnancy trope, but in some way it made sense to include it?? like, Shaw’s reaction to learning she’s “pregnant” was sort of glossed over and she went immediately into panic mode. it should have focused more on her conflicted feelings on aborting the fetus (which should have clashed with her faith??), and being overwhelmed by the fact that this is Charlie’s child and it’s all she has left of him. like, they shouldn’t have just done the whole pregnancy scene in 10 minutes and have it be over with. also she didn’t seem to experience any emotional fallout from neither Charlie’s death nor the impromptu abortion?? (especially since we see how upset she is by the fact that she is unable to have children) like i GUESS you could say that she didn’t have time since s$#! was hitting the fan, and fast. but it felt very glossed over. and, yeah it makes sense contextually, because she knows that there is definitely something horribly wrong with this thing inside her, since it’s grown at an accelerated rate. and seeing what happened to Charlie, she knows that this thing can not be fully human. so it makes sense that she would react immediately with panic and an intense desire to cut it out of her. but it’s just that the film establishes her as a devout Christian (i mean, they never say it but she wears a cross so…) and it would have been really great to see her tumble with the choice between having to abort what is essentially a baby, Charlie’s baby, and the intense fear of having what is also a foreign, and deadly, lifeform inside her. i mean, yeah, if i were in the situation, i would have done the same thing, but the mystical pregnancy trope is so tired in sci-fi media, and it would have been nice to see something different, like say, the woman’s emotional repercussions of such a personal and upsetting situation?? sigh

i guess, they just could have pushed Shaw’s character a whole lot more and left David more ambiguous. we didn’t need to know every single one of his movements and his reasons for doing things. he just should have taken a backseat to Shaw’s development, since she IS supposed to be the main character??? like David could have just been like Ash in Alien, that he moves in the peripheral, and his motives are sort of ambiguous. we could have been given enough to know he’s up to something, but we didn’t need to know EVERYTHING he was doing. idk i know several ppl will disagree b/c oooo fassbender in a tight t-shirt but. he’s not the story’s focus. and yes, David’s own quest for understanding his human counterparts, and coming to have emotions and motives of his own is interesting, but it didn’t really need to be a major focus. the more interesting plot for the audience is the one with the humans finding their creators. it honestly felt like Scott got confused and was moving into Blade Runner territory.

also it just needs to be said, i’m REALLY SO GLAD that Idris played a bigger role than the previews gave him credit for. he was so enjoyable, and actually kind of stole the movie, imo. he’s so delightful, and it’s so good to see a captain who understands the stakes, and who actually is willing to work with the scientist instead of fighting them at every turn.

but there are major problems i have with it….. what exactly was David hoping to achieve by infecting Charlie? like, i get that there’s a subtle, but intense contempt in him for humanity as a whole (when Charlie asks if they’re trying to make androids more like us, David responds with a curt “I certainly hope not”), and especially directed toward Charlie (most of the crew treats David as a tool, yeah, but Charlie is the one who speaks to him as a child). idk i guess he was just ….curious?? wanted to experiment? or test the material he found? i mean, it’s honestly not like he could have figured that Charlie would have sex with Shaw that night, and impregnate her. seriously, what did he have to gain by infecting Charlie? SOMEONE HELP ME OUT.

and tbh…..we never actually get any clear answers on most of the questions in the film. we know that we came from the Space Jockeys, and we know that they were coming back to destroy us. but why? that’s never answered. how DID those beings create humanity? i guess that’s answered in the opening scene??? but then….why did the rest of that crew leave that one guy there? why did he drink that ooze? did he know what would happen? he sure did look surprised when he started crumbling!!! was that ship even from the same aliens?? if we’re descended from his reconfigured DNA, then how did all those ancient civilizations know about the galaxy, or the aliens?????? were they already there on earth, established, and then the aliens just visited?? but that opening scene pretty clearly showed that we came DIRECTLY from him. so….did the Space Jockeys just come back to visit from time to time?? also, the worm-facehugger, what did that do to Millburn? they picked him up, but we never saw if they got him on the ship (but i guess in retrospect that wouldn’t have mattered anyway). but was he infected with a xeno-like parasite baby?? or did he just die immediately there?? why did the worm-facehugger’s blood mutate Fifield?? why did Fifield attack them?? oh i guess he landed face down in the black ooze but ……..WHAT WAS THE BLACK OOZE?? WHY DID IT COME OUT OF THOSE CANISTERS?? WHAT WAS THE PURPOSE OF THAT WHOLE PLACE?? like, yeah, it was a ship, a cargo ship with all that s$#! in it to be carried to earth to destroy humanity, ok. but then how did it “turn” on the Space Jockeys??? what WERE they running from??

yeah. there are a LOT of unanswered questions there. but, on the upside, we did get other questions answered. like how the xenomorphs, and facehuggers were created. it’s actually interesting b/c i think it shows that Scott pulled elements from the other Alien movies, not just his. in Resurrection, they experiment with cloning and splicing xeno DNA with human DNA and despite a lot of failed attempts, they are able to make two stable successes (in Ripley and the humanoid creature). i feel like Scott pulled from that with the intraspecies mixing to create a primitive xenomorph creature. it was also just really flippin sweet to see the early facehugger(s) and xenomorph.

but honestly, my biggest problem with the film: Shaw really REALLY should have died. i’m sORRY BUT……….that would have wrapped everything up so perfectly. i was expecting Shaw to resolve to live out two years in the escape pod, and send several emergency signals out to space. it just WOULD HAVE MADE SENSE. by the time the Nostromo picked up her signal, every bit of the Prometheus would have crumbled, and Shaw would be long dead. though, she of course would have had to remove David’s head from the cockpit of the alien ship, yeah. but still. the idea that she honestly could keep pushing forward after EVERYTHING SHE WENT THROUGH. i don’t doubt that she was emotionally strong, and it was her desire to understand why our creators wanted to kill us, but….. COME ON. idk idk i guess you could say that she was greatly affected by Weyland telling her that Charlie would have pushed on regardless of everything that happened. but idk that just felt so tacked on. it felt like sequel bait ughhhHHHhhhHHHHHhh.

wow i complained a lot about a movie i said i loved. but i did love it!!! despite its flaws!!! it was really a spectacle and it really had fascinating themes and questions in it!!!!

i mean, the things i can praise it for is what everyone else is praising it for; the sets, the imagery, the art design, the creatures, special FX, etc. but, lol despite how much i complained, i really disagree with people who are saying it lacks soul. yes, the film really could have and SHOULD HAVE pushed its themes and questions much further than it did. and no, you don’t really get any solid answers for any questions that are brought up, but i think it did have a lot to it. almost like the questions it raised were too big for one film to handle. and as disappointing as it that it didn’t take full advantage of its potential, the film is still really good. it elicits an emotional reaction because these characters are relatable and are endearing. when they die, you feel their absence. the film also makes you honestly question a lot of things, and brings up a lot of tough themes, stuff that most movies won’t touch. where are we from? who made us and why? the mixing of technology and biological evolution and the effects they have on each other. it does what a great science fiction film should do: make you question what it is specifically that makes us human.

imho, Scott has always been really, really great at raising questions in his films. in Blade Runner, he doesn’t give us any answers, but that doesn’t detract from what an emotional impact the film has. i honestly feel that Prometheus is the same.
Posted 1 day ago

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:32 pm

http://darksmiter88.tumblr.com/post/24699790971/prometheus

8th Jun 2012
Prometheus

Ok, so that movie was really awesome. I loved it! I love the universe it takes place in, the same one as the Alien films. It tackled some interesting things. Before I talk about those things I will probably put up a little thing so you don’t have to see spoilers if you are still going to see this movie. Also, it was really really pretty when they showed all the cool landscapes. I loved it so much I will probably see it again!

Ok, so this movie does a really good job of showing a human origin story. I loved how that was all put together. It also does a really cool thing in dealing with evolution. Especially when it comes to the aliens from Aliens. The only things I didn’t really like was how the android has a secret agenda aspect was played out again. It seemed to follow in Bishop’s footsteps with that. I guess it was supposed to though. I could feel a lot of throwbacks to the movie Alien. I guess that was part of the point. Anyway there were quite a few twists, for lack of a better word, that weren’t too hard to see. I guess I also wished they would explore the Wayland company a bit more than was done in the movie. Still a lot of the back story of this universe is falling into place, and I loved that. Of course the movie had a fairly open ending, but as much as I would love to see what happens next I don’t know if they should do a movie. I think some other medium might be a better choice, or possibly an animated, straight to DVD kind of thing would work best. I am just so curious about so many things. I need to spend time looking up a few facts too, but I feel like it was the same place that the team in Alien landed on and explored in the first place, but I could be very wrong.

Oh well! The overall point of this all is that it was an awesome movie and you should see it, but if you haven’t seen Alien, try to watch that first!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top