Top News
WE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT MICHAEL-AN AWARD WINNING ACTOR

Congratulations to the cast and crew of "12 Years a Slave" winning an Oscar for Best Picture

Michael is currently filming "MacBeth"

Watch "12 Years A Slave" and "Frank" in theaters

Watch "The Counselor" and "12 Years A Slave" on DVD available now

Michael is set to star and produce on a film version of the video game "Assassin's Creed"

Completed projects: X-Men, Untitled Malik project

Upcoming projects Assassin's Creed, Prometheus 2, MacBeth,and more!

Header credit here

MFmultiply's Disclaimer

Order region 1 dvds-Amazon store

Order region 2-UK dvds-Amazon Shoppe

Please check the calender for films on TV, Theater, or dvd releases
December 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Prometheus previews and spoilers 2

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Prometheus previews and spoilers 2

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:41 pm

moviestvandmore:
Post-Prometheus

So I saw Prometheus. I’m glad I did have some forewarning about the poor aspects of the movie, mainly the script. The acting actually wasn’t all that good either, except for Michael Fassbender. He’s just consistently great it seems.

I watched the film with a friend and we were both disappointed with the other main characters, including Noomi Rapace and Charlize Theron.

Back to the script. There were indeed plot holes. I won’t go too much into it, but if you’ve seen the film then you might want to check out this list of 10 Questions Left Unanswered at the End of Prometheus. It contains spoilers though so read at your own risk.

But indeed the visuals were great. The opening shots were beautiful. The ones where David, the android played by Fassbender, looks at a holographic map of the universe, are also pretty awesome.

What lifted the movie for me was how it did often keep the suspense up, and how it provoked one to think about humanity, creation and robotics. The last one ties up with my post earlier on the issue.

I would agree that I’d give it a 3.5 out of 5 rating. Over at Rotten Tomatoes, viewers gave it a fair grade as well of 75%.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:42 pm

insidethefishbowl:
Prometheus - A Review

Written – Jon Spaihts & Damon Lindelof

Directed – Ridley Scott

Starring – Noomi Rapace, Charlize Theron, Idris Elba, Michael Fassbender

Running time – 124 mins

Rating – 2.5/5

While it may be intriguing to suggest an answerless question, it is simply frustrating to present an audience with an origin story and then neglect to supply one. I had heard that Prometheus would pose the tough questions and supply no answers, and I had assumed it was a purposefully orchestrated plot device. What transpires is, unfortunately, so much less than that. It reads as an unfulfilled and unfinished piece in a masterful puzzle, and while a masterpiece is the sum of its parts, this is, perhaps, its weakest link.

The biggest flaw in Prometheus is its lack of focus. That, its score and CGI. As David (Michael Fassbender) outlines at the beginning of the film, a thesis is a question you pose and seek to prove (or disprove) through discovery of fact. The thesis for Prometheus is made clear from the beginning – find the origin of man. In the audience’s mind (especially those familiar with Alien lore) this origin is of the titular Aliens, as opposed to mankind. Some facts are discovered, but none are used advantageously. Nor are they written particularly well, for that matter.

The progression of events felt sloppy, with minimal character development or exposition, and very little (if any) follow-through on explanation or discovery. In Alien it was simple – cause and effect were crystal clear. This was the progression throughout the entirety of the series. A facehugger latches on and impregnates the host. After a very brief gestational period, a chestburster bursts forth, and havoc ensues. If you cut it, it bleeds acid – danger. Its body is exceptionally hot – danger. Everything makes sense and has a clear progression.

In Prometheus, we are faced with an intergalactic primordial ooze with conveniently limitless potential for creative (and destructive) prowess. Such limitlessness is limiting to the success of the film – it’s presented as boundless, and as such it becomes undefined and foggy. Besides the obvious reaction to its ingestion, its affects seem sporadic and unpredictable. Rather than explaining its direct correlation to the birth of the aliens, it simply bounces back and forth – one moment one impact, the next another. No exploration takes place, and as such we learn nothing about it – besides general danger.

What the film does have going for it are overused stunning visuals, and a stellar cast. Fassbender is brilliant as an android, giving a realistic performance to AI. Noomi Rapace is a powerhouse, and she gives an incredible performance. Quoted in a recent issue of VOGUE UK as being a perfectionist (“I want to be flawless. I have a very strong will, so when I decide to do something, I do it”), and this performance is proof of that – she’s taken a poorly finished script and a relatively flat character and made the audience not only give a damn, but root for her.

Idris Elba is entertaining, but flat. His character is underdeveloped and remains as such from start to finish.

In every other Alien film, character development and exposition took place as the film progressed – you learned about them, even if only subtly, and came to care about them. The only reason I cared about Elba’s Captain Janek is because of his funny exchange with Charlize Theron – intergalactic propositioning at its finest. He’s a great actor who was given no meat, and no motivation, and therefore he was left with nothing to do. You can’t make lemonade if you have no lemons – at least Rapace had a dense (if heavy handed and slightly underdeveloped) back-story to use for fuel.

The CGI, though flawless at points, falls short with the alien entities, or engineers as they refer to them. They look intangible, and therefore seem less threatening. There was tactility to the original aliens, with minimal CGI resulting in ample pay-off. Here, they simply thought up the most complicated beings possible, so that they might flex their digital muscles and elicit stronger reactions. What they end up with is a pale giant who look wonderfully airbrushed – they should give VOGUE their secrets.

Worse still, and potentially worst of all, is the score. From the moment the first chords echoed through the theater, I was scratching my head. This is the soundtrack of a sweeping, glossy epic drama – some kind of earth-shattering saga to envelope the senses in mysticism. Not the follow-up and semi-prequel to a cult-classic sci-fi horror film that takes place in the darkest depths of the galaxy. It feels out of place, and throws off the tone of the film.

This is a film that should have been darker and dirtier than it was. Instead of playing to the tone that did it so much justice in Alien, Ridley Scott has transformed Prometheus into a polished, glossy blockbuster. As a fan of the Alien films, this disappoints me to no end. Yes we were given creepy-crawlies, but they don’t satiate the audience’s desire for exposition. There is some bizarre gore, but that was never the point of Alien (though it was a desirable side effect – the chestburster would have been pretty lame were it not so bloody graphic.)

In Aliens, where more time is spent on this inhabitable moon, we see that it is a dark, stormy, and violent land, in many ways primitive – just like the aliens inhabiting it, waiting to be born. In Prometheus we’re given a bright land, with stunning landscapes, that, while grey in nature, it does not share any tonal relation with the original moon. The trailer (especially the exquisitely edited 3 minute behemoth) is deceptive – it creates the world that should have been. Dark, dirty, and jagged edged. Instead we got a polished place, with elements from the original, while cohesive tone was sacrificed – to what end, I’m still not sure.

In the end, it’s not entirely surprising that the film’s plot feels underdeveloped given its writing talent. Jon Spaihts, after all, is responsible for the abomination that was The Darkest Hour, while Damon Lindelof is best known for his work on Lost, a series that flourished on grandiose suggestions with literally zero explanation, follow-through or payoff. Together they’ve managed to take a well structured, cult classic sci-fi horror and turn it into a bumbling idiot on film. A pretty bumbling idiot, but still an idiot nonetheless.

It will make you jump, and it will surely entertain, especially if your expectations are low. But do not be fooled – the brief moments where fractions of origin are given do not compensate for the absence of such throughout. If as much attention was paid to the plot and back story as was given to the graphics and set pieces, we would have had the brilliant prequel fans all over the world have been aching for for decades.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:43 pm

http://fill-light.tumblr.com/post/24749885723/review-prometheus-2012-dir-ridley-scott

REVIEW: Prometheus (2012), dir. Ridley Scott

In discussing a film that has been the subject of so much hype and, in the last few days, so much disappointment, I feel I must address not only Prometheus itself but the criticism it has garnered, and what that might mean for movies in general. Spoilers below.

Prometheus was more or less what I expected. I had fun. The film’s technical achievements, myth-making and performances more than made up for the weakness of the plot, dialogue and characterization. Like many have said, it’s a well-made movie based on a so-so script.

However, I don’t believe for a moment that Prometheus deserves the vitriol of its harshest critics (Devin Faraci, I’m looking at you). Much like the proto-xenomorphs themselves, fanboys are a weapon of mass destruction who can turn on their masters as soon as serve them. But perhaps even that isn’t the crux of the problem.

Yes, boys and girls, we are spoiled. Prometheus’ greatest crime is not achieving its obvious ambitions, and as such the critics feel the need to cast it aside as utter dreck. 21st century Hollywood film-making and the criticism surrounding it has become polarized and rigid. Movies can only be masterpieces or messes, and filmmakers are either geniuses or idiots. God forbid we embrace films that have unrealized potential, or that fail in interesting ways.

Dare I make some irresponsible generalization of how the ubiquity of information has disallowed ambivalence in human thought? No, I dare not. Perhaps the rising cost of movie tickets and economic strain on the middle- and working classes puts pressure on studios to market its films as either harmless, stupid fun or Cinematic Events. Prometheus is in neither category, but as a franchise reboot with enough well thought-out SF and horror elements to hold interest, it works.

Who am I kidding, I’ll pre-order it on Blu because it all looks so damn good. And because Michael Fassbender.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:44 pm

theeblogs:
Words. They evade me.

Prometheus. I want to sit here and discuss the triumphs of Prometheus in vivid detail but I’m afraid of spoiling something for those who haven’t seen it. I will say that it’s something special. It’s the perfect blend of sci-fi and action, it feels like the old school sci-fi of the 70’s and 80’s yet has enough action to interest the new sci-fi fans out there. It is a visual benchmark that twenty years from now will be seen to be as important as Bladerunner or Alien. Speaking of Alien. Please, please, please don’t go into this film wanting to see a prequel to Alien. While it’s true that this film is based in the same universe it is definitely not an Alien film and isn’t intended to be. If you are also lucky enough to have no information about the story of the film besides the trailers I’d advise to keep it that way. The story that unfolds is deeper than it initially lets on and the themes explored in it are engaging and relatable. For a film that is based 3 lightyears away from Earth it’s themes strike remarkably close to home. I guess there is nothing else to say then that I can’t recommend this movie enough. I do believe that years from now the film will be looked back on as something special, maybe even the science fiction film of the last ten years. But for now, go out and see for yourself.

Also, if you can go see it in 3D, then do!
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:44 pm

fuckyeahsixthscale:
I just got home from watching Prometheus...

Holy f&#!.

Full disclosure: I’m a big Alien / Aliens / Alien 3 / (EVEN) Alien Resurrection fan, and I was hoping Ridley Scott would do justice to the legacy that Dan O’Bannon and Ronald Shusett had so kindly left us.

But no.

My friend had reminded me to come with an open mind. And so I did. I came knowing that it wouldn’t be a prequel to Alien. That it would still be in Alien universe, but different. And it was. And I had no problem with that.

I did have problems with the movie:

Trying hard to be philosophical but failed by leaving everything brushing only the surface. Case in point (1): what is it about life and the creator that interests Shaw and Holloway? If it’s so interesting, why don’t they talk about it more often? Cliche lines like, “The most important discovery in history,” don’t help strengthen their philosophical questions. Case in point (2): The old man doesn’t want to die. WHY?
Trying hard to have layered stories but failed to develop them further. Case in point (1): David trying to be human and trying to feel affection (we’ll never know what he says to the Engineer who later mangles him), but clearly David enjoys the big guy brushing his hair with his big hand (before mangling him), this moment feels very abrupt and shallow. Case in point (2): Vickers vs. David trying to win Weyland’s attention. Yawn. Case in point (3): Holloway is an alcoholic and Shaw is barren? YAWN.
Having loopholes. Case in point (1): How the hell can the captain suddenly jump into conclusion that the landing site is some military camp? Case in point (2): What kind of rapport does the captain have with Shaw that makes him kill himself just by listening to ten seconds of Shaw’s plea to not let the Engineer’s space ship go to Earth? Case in point (3): What’s happening to Fifield? Case in point (4): What happened to the rest of the Engineer who piled up dead with their chests burst open?
Trying hard to be funny. Case in point (1): Betting 100 credit and paying in the next life? Case in point (2): My room, ten minutes?
Trying hard to showcase bravado. Case in point (1): Captain + 2 crewmen slamming Prometheus into the Engineer’s spaceship, Kamikaze style. Case in point (2): Holloway challenging Vickers to kill him.
Being shot in 3D. I didn’t see anything remarkable.
Killing Meredith Vickers. She should be the survivor. Elizabeth Shaw should die. Also, why do people always run one way one something straight is going to fall on top of them? Why can’t they run sideways? The Na’vi in Avatar also run one way when Home Tree is falling on them.
Having Meredith Vickers. Seriously, the movie can do well without her.

In Alien, I find none of the crewmen likeable. Well, only Jonesy, but I am partial to cats. And I like Lambert (Veronica Cartwright). But I was rooting for everyone to get out safely.

In Prometheus… Hmm… I guess I couldn’t tell because we don’t get to spend enough time with each character to find out his/her deal.

Prometheus relies heavily on amazing technology, gadget, and CGI, that it sacrifices acting and character development. I am not impressed with Michael Fassbender. I am not impressed with Charlize Theron. And Noomi Rapace… BIG YAWN.

Ridley Scott dissed Alien versus Predator (which I also hate), but I can’t help but feel that Prometheus is another version of Alien versus Predator, albeit from a more senior director.

Prometheus is entertaining. But don’t believe in the hype. It’s not all that. And because I believed in the hype and I was expecting it to be perfect (I have low standards, so I’m usually forgiving), I am giving it scathing review because it disappoints me.

Don’t watch it in 3D. Avatar in 3D, yes. Prometheus in 3D, no.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:46 pm

http://rebelplatypus.tumblr.com/post/24747441403/prometheus-my-comments-spoily-after-jump

PROMETHEUS - My Comments *spoily after jump*

I am on the “I loved this movie” side of the chasm! It was really great, in my opinion. I saw it late at night and normally I’m really cranky after 9PM, but the fact I still liked it so much meant I must have truly enjoyed it.

Just to be clear, I have never actually seen any of the Alien movies. I want to but I don’t have Netflix and don’t much enjoy illegal things. I’m so good ^^;…

All these things kept popping into my head and I had to fight the urge to scream them…

————————————————————————-

The first thought I had after seeing the first Engineer commit suicide on Earth: VOLDEMORT, IS THAT YOU? My, you’re looking…ripped .__.

Upon finding out the robot’s name is David: Is this a reference to A.I.? Or maybe 2001: A Space Odyssey? I forgot now, but if a system said he couldn’t do something…I would have laughed so hard. I can’t do that, Dave. xD

Is David like…wanting to kill humans too? Because he’s really…kind scary, if you think about it. Bringing stuff he essentially KNOWS to be deadly onto the ship and being willing to kill everyone just for science? Or was it to save his “father”? I don’t know…

When David opens that thing and the doohickey comes out of the floor or whatever…I think it’s when he’s about to find the control room and the space jockey, I was like: THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS HAS BEEN OPENED.

That light cube? The 9x9 that someone has…one of the scientists…I forget it if it was Holloway or Shaw…After Weyland’s hologram speech. Totally a futuristic Rubik’s cube. Challenge model, because it has no colors at first xD

When David is exploring the pyramid thing and showing Vickers through the cam…but then her turns it off and she responds with something like “That bastard. He cut me off!” I started giggling hysterically…

I was wondering about Vickers, as well. She calls Weyland “father.” And the line about how “David is the closest thing to children he’ll ever know.” Does this imply that Vickers IS his daughter, but he has respect for her nor does he value her as his offspring? Or is she also a robot? I’m leaning toward the first because of two things. 1) She and the captain had sex, did they not? I wouldn’t think that a robot could actually do that…call me bigoted. Also, she was crushed to death at the end, right? David had his entire head ripped off but he continued to be functional. If she were, in fact, a robot, she probably would have survived being crushed as well.

And on the subject of babies, was Shaw ACTUALLY sterile or had she just never gotten lucky before and it happened that the first time it worked was with alien-babies?
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:47 pm

pinayhobbitwitch:

PROMETHEUS

I wasn’t really a fan of the ALIEN franchise but I gotta admit that it is one of the most memorable sci-fi franchise that has ever happened in Hollywood (second to Star Wars of course). And even though Ridley Scott has alliterated that this movie IS NOT STRICTLY a prequel for the franchise, it will still be considered as one. And if you are a sci-fi fan, you’ll love it. In sum, it’s a great and beautifully shot. As usual, Michael Fassbender did an amazing job as the the android David - (an excellent character and probably one of the most well written character in the film. I think a lot of that may be due however to Fassbender’s performance). I like that all of David’s actions are not explained, but hinted at. Visuals and effects - As expected - excellent.The abortion sequence - Brilliantly filmed and well acted. The visuals look beautiful and it will spellbind you. Unfortunately, the script is not as fascinating as the visuals and the expected plot. It’s disappointing because instead of answering the film’s main question, it rather ends with a ridiculous climax and opened it for a sequel. It also suffers with weak character development. It looks like the soulless character of the film, Android David, has more soul than the human characters. There isn’t much depth to the characters also. The onslaught of the action doesn’t leave them the necessary time to become properly human to us, and their various beliefs are not at all described in sufficient detail - although we do hear a bit about Shaw (Rapace’s character). Besides her, Idris Elba’s captain is the best character; he is human, he has failings (yes, I count smoking as a failing - ha!), he’s a charmer, he can think and he understands sacrifice. Most of the other significant characters are scientists (finally, a sci-fi movie with more than one of those!), but, sadly they don’t act like it. One is depressed and drinking for no good reason, one is just obnoxious, and one is apparently not interested in his own field of science. But, of course, they are all punished for their bad attitudes - which is something, I guess. Still worth it to watch ♥
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:47 pm

passengerintherear:

Prometheus. I expected it to be mind-blowing…and it was. But it was a different kind of mind blowing reaction from what I expected. Personally, I found the plot very slow moving and confusing at first as the context wasn’t thoroughly clear at the start. Without a doubt, it was visually, a very beautiful and artistic film. As expected, there were some squirm-worthy gory scenes, but that was something I could deal with.

I think Ridley Scott is a very individualistic director - i know you could say the same for every other director, but I mean it when I say he’s different - in a sense that I’m not sure if his intentions for the movie was to provide a similar action/adventure type of entertainment we receive from other regular thriller movies like Avatar. I think similar to Bladerunner, he really tries to illustrate the human condition - how human beings are always questioning their existence and how they continually try to challenge and embody the ability of a higher power to create life. And he does it really well by interplaying it with the protagonist’s inner-self conflict - that is her want to justify her reason for existence instead of just believing and having faith. There are definitely a lot of modern context parallels portrayed in the movie, which I feel like if i describe them, I might give away the plot too much.

All I can say is…definitely worth the watch IF you are someone that likes to walk out of a cinema and be philosophically provoked or challenged. The literal or immediate plot seems ridiculous, but I find the message to be quite profound.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:48 pm

olivetheelephant:
Because I'm lacking anything better to do, I shall post... A MOVIE REVIEW! =O

So I believe I’ve said once that I went to see Prometheus the night before last (midnight showing, woo). I’ve seen many people give mixed reviews on it, so I shall add mine to the bunch.

I’ve never seen the Alien movies, and I usually don’t watch much sci-fi, so it’s not like I have a huge background on this. But overall, I could probably give it maybe 3.5, 4 stars. See, I’m one of those people that gets uber creeped out with all that weird alien stuff, especially when it’s actually MEANT to creep a person out (I couldn’t stop shaking in the theater. Not because it was cold. Because I was having a mental breakdown because of this movie). I think if I hadn’t been having a mental breakdown, I’d be really disappointed. And I guess I still am.

My friend (who enjoyed the movie like a normal person would, actually paying attention to the plot and such, making predictions on what would happen, etc) brought up some very important points:

There wasn’t much monster development. I agree with this. The protagonist character(s) were well rounded. But monsters were just there to show that there was an actual conflict. There was no monster that appeared in more than one scene. And, for the record, there were hardly any monsters at all.
It was sort of unclear who the antagonist was. I’m looking back on it, and I still can’t figure this out. Is it the company that sent them there? Is it the alien race that they’re trying to find? Is it that crazy lady on the crew? I mean, it should be obvious, but when you get down to the nitty gritty of it, it really isn’t.
It IS a thinking movie, in my opinion. We thought a lot about how everything ties in scientifically as well as the loose ends the plot left untied. I wouldn’t think you have to have more of an analytical mind to actually wonder about these things, just a decent recollection of biology class. We conversed about the evolution of these monsters and such, and how this and that came to be, blah blah blah.

I’m speaking of loose ends and weak antagonist development, which may be some things that indicate a sequel. But do I anticipate a sequel? No. Mainly because it’s just the kind of movie that is SUPPOSED to leave you with questions. I think that if it tied itself up quite nicely, then it would be a huge disappointment. Another thing is that antagonist development that I talked about. I think there would only be a sequel if development of the antagonist had happened, and it actually left you with something to expect for the next movie.

There is NOTHING ELSE to expect from Prometheus. Once again, 4 stars. It was a nice experience. I can’t think of anything that could make it better, but I feel that it was lacking SOMETHING.

So there you have it. My entirely unprofessional and quite lengthy movie review. Smile
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:48 pm

twinantipossessiontattoos:
So, I saw Prometheus last night

Holy mother of pearl, that was good.

I’ll be honest, I went into the cinema expecting to be scared, because a lot of people had said that it was going to scare the s$#! out of me. In all honesty, I didn’t find it scary. I thought it was pretty gross at some parts, but not in a way that I wanted to vomit al my popcorn across the floor.

HOWEVER.

All in all, I would say it was a fantastic movie. The acting was good, although I thought that the guy who played Charlie (WHOSE NAME HAS ESCAPED ME WTF) was a bit OTT. Fassy was brilliant, as per usual, as I just couldn’t get over how I kind of hated David and loved him at the same time because he was so adorable if that makes any sense..?

But yes. Brilliant. I’d recommend it, so long as you don’t mind a teensie bit of gore and some jump scares!
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:49 pm

highlanderhufflepuffhugmachine:
So I saw Prometheus last night

(Incredibly mild kind-a spoiler below?)

First off: It gets points for passing the Bechdal test and just in general having interesting, non-hypersexualized ladies.

However, it looses points for the Evil Demon Mystical Pregnancy (You’ll notice how in the original Alien, when a dude’s body is used to incubate a baby alien, it’s just that there’s an evil alien inside him, whatevs. But when it’s a LADY, she’s described as being PREGNANT. - . -; )

Stepping away from those issues, it’s a beautiful movie. Visually stunning. Some very scary parts.

Though I will say that the pacing, and over all coherency of the plot begins to break down around the time that the demon pregnancy happens.

Best character: A toss up between Shaw and David.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:50 pm

jameslovesmovies:

Movie Review: Prometheus (2012) Rating: B+

I want to start off the review by addressing the question of “is it a prequel or not?!” I honestly don’t see why people were so confused leading up to this film, since both Ridley Scott and Damon Lindelof talked about it several times. By definition, a prequel is “a literary, dramatic, or filmic work whose story precedes that of a previous work, by focusing on events that occur before the original narrative.” Is that so hard to grasp? Yes, it’s set in the Alien universe. Yes, it comes before Alien. Yes, as Scott has put it several times, it shares some of Alien’s DNA. But it’s its own story. Scott has done a unique prequel here that I think works better than those we’ve seen before (Example: Star Wars). The events don’t just explain things about Alien and you won’t see a young Ellen Ripley running around. It’s about different people and different events that just happen to take place in the same universe, and some things end up overlapping with Alien in a pretty exciting way. The problem with prequels we’ve seen before is we know how the story ends. We know that Anakin becomes Darth Vader, so trying to portray him as a good guy struggling with a dark side is boring, because we know that it doesn’t work. Here, Scott has given us something new and fresh and ultimately more interesting and fun to watch because we don’t know where it’s all heading. And when we do see glimpses of things from Alien it just becomes very exciting. Some particular things alone, like the Space Jockey seat, were just so exciting to watch because we’ve seen them before but here we see them in action for the first time. I hope now filmmakers take these kinds of risks when making prequels because having this film as its own story is what made it so interesting.

There, now that that little rant is over, let’s get into my review. Half of it will be spoiler-free, and I’ll let you know when I get into spoiler territory.

First of all, I really really enjoyed it. I have a couple gripes about it which I’ll get into, but overall it was a very fun, chilling, sometimes terrifying thrill ride of a movie and I believe it lives up to the hype. Could it have been better? Yes.

The best things about the film were the cinematography and design of the film. Scott has a very unique, stunning visual style that amazed me throughout the entire film. Some shots were just gorgeous, and then when things got scary, they were surprising and nearly terrifying. I didn’t see the film in 3D, though I kind of wish that I had. From what I hear the 3D is worth the extra few bucks.

All of the performances were great, I was curious to see Noomi Rapace outside of Lisbeth Salander, since I had missed Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows last year. She did a great job and carried the film very well. She was completely convincing and her character was very interesting. Charlize Theron played a great corporate bitch, and Idris Elba is always fun to watch on screen and helped relax the tension a bit. The one who stole the show though was Michael Fassbender as the android David. He was completely convincing and so much fun to watch He’s one of my favorite actors and I think he’s got a great, long career ahead of him. I’m glad to see that he’s getting the respect and roles that he deserves. His performance in this film is the best one I’ve seen so far all year.

I’ve been reading a lot of gripes about the story, about how it doesn’t seem to answer a lot of the big questions that it presents, and I have to both agree and disagree with that. The story for the film was great, and I like that it was very smart and made you think while at the same time gave you something to be scared of and keep you on the edge of your seat. The film presents the questions, “where did we come from, and who made us?” And it definitely answers them. Hell, it answers them in the trailer. But there were a few things that come up after you answer those that they decided not to, and I think that’s totally okay. In fact, it would have been a lot less satisfying if they had answered them. I think general audiences will have a hard time with this movie because it leaves you with a few questions and doesn’t flat out explain everything that happens on screen. But I give props to Scott and Lindelof for taking the risk of telling that kind of story. I think it totally works here and left me satisfied but at the same time curious. I saw it opening night and am still thinking about it now, so what they were intending to do totally worked.

Now, let’s get into some SPOILERS so that I can talk about a few of the things I didn’t like. If you haven’t seen the film yet stop now, go watch it, and come back.

As much fun as the movie was to watch and as interesting as the story was, I feel that they tried to cram too much in, particularly in the second half. It’s like they had too many ideas, and instead of hoping for a sequel or trimming the fat a little, they just threw it all in there. One thing in particular was Peter Weyland. Did we really need to see him in this film? Yes, it’s always enjoyable to see Guy Pearce on screen and he did a great job here, but we didn’t need that little side story at all. He’s the driving force behind David’s decisions, but not all of them, and though he plays Charlize Theron’s character’s father, that didn’t help her character development much and could have been explained without the use of Weyland in the film. That just took screen time away from other important things going on that they could have focused on instead, especially since Weyland dies in the next few minutes anyway.

The other thing that I didn’t like was that it seemed like there were too many supernatural, alien elements going on to really keep track of. Since no one on screen explains what leads to what, we have to kind of guess which events lead to the creation of certain creatures, and since they are all so very different, there isn’t a clear link. For instance, the Engineers obviously created humans, but the black slime they used to create and destroy life creates transformations and mutations of its own. From what I could gather from the film, Engineer + Black Stuff = Humans. Humans + Black Stuff = Crazy Humans. Human + sex with Crazy Human = Squid Monster Thing. Squid Monster Thing + Engineer = Xenomorph.

See what I mean? While each of those things alone was awesome and exciting to watch, it was also kind of confusing having all of them in one movie. I love that the events in this film inadvertently create the Xenomorphs and set the stage for the rest of the Alien films, but as I said before, it’s like they had too many awesome ideas and threw them all in there hoping it would work. Which it sort of does, but it just feels like too much.

END OF SPOILERS

Despite those few things I really enjoyed the hell out of this film, and any fan of sci-fi, thrillers, monster movies, and Alien will love this movie. General audiences might have trouble with it just because of the big-question stuff, but it’s still fun as hell to watch and kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. It’s a triumphant return to the science fiction genre and the Alien universe for Ridley Scott, and I hope he is more involved with both of those things in the future.

I give the film a B+ and highly recommend it.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:14 pm

thehappiestmaknae:
Prometheus

Can I just say…

SWEET LORD MICHAEL FASSBENDER. Robots should not be allowed to possess that level of attractiveness. The costume designer should win all the awards for designing suits that show off how lovely he is. His performance was excellent as well, I honestly wish I could learn more about David as a character.

ON ANOTHER NOTE. I really liked the movie. It had good acting (Rapace and Fassbender were my favorites) beautiful scenery, and twisted planetary environments (can you say H.R Giger?) that were totally worth watching in 3D and IMAX. There was one scene that made me want to puke my guts out, but I won’t spoil that. Anyone who sees Prometheus will recognize it immediately. Ughgajbdvjbjdhv.

You should go see it though, especially if you like sci fi.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:15 pm

soldierofsolitude:
Prometheus

So I just got back from watching Prometheus and to be honest, aside from The Avengers, this has to be the best movie I have seen on the big screen ever! I have to say, I am the biggest Ridley Scott/Alien fan ever and initially, I was rather skeptical about whether or not this film would live up to the franchise but let me tell you this, it exceeded all my expectations. The highest praise in this film goes to the visual effects and most notably the barren wasteland planet of LV-223, everything about it was tantalizing to the eyes and I for one could not look away (it was an eye-gasm as I like to call it) Aside from that, I also love the minute details given to the ship Prometheus’s lavish interior , the character wardrobes ie their space suits, hairstyles, makeup and also the lighting. There was a distinct ambiance that made me feel as if I was apart of the crew exploring this alien terrain and that made me squeal with delight like the little nerdy fanboy I am. In terms of characters, I know a lot of fan girls (and trust me when I say a lot) have been harping on about Michael Fassebender’s role as David 8 the android and while it’s true that his portrayal was incredible, in my opinion, Charlize Theron , Noomi Rapace , and Idris Elba definitely stole the show. Charlize Theron in my eyes can never go wrong and so I loved that she was part of this masterpiece. The plot of the movie was rather linear and one could easily tell what would happen but that being said, it did leave you guessing till the end as to who survives. In regards to action , I’d say there were quite a few scenes towards the end but as whole,I would categorize Prometheus as an expedition/psychological thriller that makes you think rather than blatantly throwing in gore for the sake of it. One down side that I’d have to make mention of was the creature design in the movie. I felt that the alien life forms the crew encounters were very simplistic and not very startling compared to H.R Geiger’s grotesque yet amazing Xenomorph designs in the earlier installments. Aside from that, this movie was epic to say the least and I would definitely recommend it to anyone interested in science fiction movies that make you think. The best scene to me was at the very end and my reaction can easily be encapsulated by these gifs
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:16 pm

apersonalopinion:

Review: Prometheus

I may be a product of the nineties, but that doesn’t mean I’ve never seen Alien. Straight away I was hooked by the not so typical sci-fi movie that felt more like a thriller than a kill-all-the-aliens fest. Alien quickly became one of my favourite movies, so when I had read rumours that a sequel was being made, I eagerly anticipated it.

Prometheus, directed by the original Alien director Ridley Scott, is an origin story for both humans and the infamous alien. My initial worry for the movie was that it would be just a copy of Alien, but writers Jon Spaihts and Damon Lindelof created an intense and exciting world within the original. Another female heroin is gained through the character of Elizabeth Shaw (Noomi Rapace), but unlike Sigourney Weaver’s Ripley, we get to see the spiritual and romantic side of Elizabeth Shaw. Introducing the spiritual elements of Shaw’s life was a really interesting commentary on the way we today perceive the relationship between religion and science. Shaw is also in a relationship with Charlie Holloway (Logan Marshall-Green) which is strained by a very personal issue.

The character which I found most intriguing was David, played by Michael Fassbender. *Spoiler alert if you haven’t watched Alien and would like to* It is known that David is a robot (I would recommend watching this little viral video released before Prometheus), but I found him much more complex than Ian Holm’s Ash in Alien. We see that David has a strange fascination with the movie Lawrence of Arabia, and I wish I had seen that movie to understand why this is *end of spoiler alert*

I did absolutely love this movie, but there were some parts that I did feel needed to be worked on more, or just left out altogether. I’m not exactly sure why Guy Pearce needed to dress up as the incredibly old Peter Weylend, as I don’t think it added anything to the story or any characters development. Charlize Theron is one of my favourite actresses and she did do a great job of playing Meredith Vickers, but she wasn’t one of the more engaging characters.

There are so many wonderful actors in this movie too! I’ve only managed to mention a few because I don’t want to spoil the movie for anyone by talking about why I love their characters.

Critically and box office wise Prometheus hasn’t been doing as well as it deserves. It is true that there are certain elements that weren’t worked through well enough, but this cannot change the fact that I really enjoyed this movie. If you are a fan of Alien, or just sci-fi in general, I cannot see why you would not enjoy this movie, which is why my first ever 5/5 is going to Prometheus.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:16 pm

thekingsahni:
Prometheus

Review: Being a huge fan of Ridley Scott and his films, I went into Prometheus with good intentions. I know he is a master of sci-fi and a connoisseur when it comes to visual effects. Seeing early reviews of Prometheus made me a bit weary, but I still had a good feeling about the movie for some inexplicable reason. With a cast like Charlize Theron, Noomi Rapace, Idris Elba, and Michael Fassbender, I at least knew the acting was going to be bearable. Prometheus starts off amazingly, we see breath taking images of landscape, Earth, water formations, and more. We are then shown very realistic CGI of an alien being doing some shady DNA stuff. Scott impressively displays the ship Prometheus and its innards. We are then introduced to David, a cyborg, played by Michael Fassbender. This is arguably the best performance movie, closely tied with Noomi Rapace. Fassbender’s portrayal of a cyborg is the perfect emulation, not once does he display any emotion that his cyborg brain does not understand. Everything from his stare, gait, posture, smile is convincing to being the cyborg Scott wanted us to know. Personally, the best performance in this movie goes to Noomi Rapace. Never have I’ve been so intoxicated by a performance displaying such strong will. Everything from her dreams to her survival instincts were brilliant. She definietly showed us a great parallel to Sigourney Weaver. I also favored the alien landscape of the moon they were exploring, even though they were confined to one area during the whole movie and they found the perfect area really fast, it was enjoyable. Now about Logan Marshall-Green’s character, I was really disappointed in how fast they got rid of him and how it didn’t even lead to anything.

Overall:Despite a script that needed work and lacked enough convincing detail, I thought the film was enjoyable. Factors like the amazing IMAX 3D, visual effects, Fassbender’s animatronic performance, Noomi Rapace’s engaging performance, smart world creation, and very tense and stressful action sequences, make for an enjoyable time.

Outstanding Scene: the most outstanding scene has to be when Noomi’s character finds out she is impregnated with an alien. She is almost put into a cryogenic stasis, but escapes to an automated surgery table thing which allows confusingly only allows male patients, but she uses he smarts to do a different surgery and removes the alien. Everything from her tense acting to the interesting surgery table using laser to cut her open, yet still using staples to close her wound were very interesting.

Rating:A High recommendation for those who want to see a engaging movie with great visual effects enhanced by IMAX 3D and with very tense strenuous moments enhanced by great performances. 3/100
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:17 pm

danecurley:
My "Prometheus" Review (NO SPOILERS)

Overall - 9.1

This movie is not for everyone. I got the chance to hear some post-ending reactions from other people in the theater, and the younger people and women were not into it at all. That said, why should they be? It’s an intelligent person’s movie. If you are interested in Sci-Fi and have enjoyed Ridley Scott movies in the past, this is a must-watch film.

Acting - 10.0

Judging by the line-up, I had high expectations for the acting in Prometheus. It did not disappoint. The big stars and no-namers alike delivered with an extremely convincing performance. It was easy to get sucked into the movie.

Graphics - 9.5

I’m going by the standard that Avatar is a perfect 10, and Inception is a 9.5.

I did not watch the movie in 3d, I watched it on a fairly large screen in Digital Projection, and it blew me away. Weather was as in real life. Spaceships were unique, and respectable. Gore was excellent. Scenery was amazing. Everything satisfied in this department.

Cinematography - 10.0

You’ll have to see it to believe it. Original shots, clever angles. Easy to follow action. No lame “shaky cam”. Well-shot POV scenes, as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

NO SPOILERS BUT MIGHT BE MORE INFO THAN YOU WANT TO HEAR PAST THIS LINE

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

Story - 10.0

Provided you had any interest/love/like for the Alien Chronology, you are going to appreciate every aspect of this story. If you are a Sci-Fi moviegoer, you really can’t be disappointed by the overall plot. I am NOT a huge Alien fan, and in my opinion this movie could serve very well as a standalone from a Sci-Fi perspective.

Characters - 8.5

Some of the characters were useless tools of Hollywood producers to attract dumb people to the movie. That’s going to be the recurring problem with the movie thats keeping it from greatness. Most of the characters are very loveable and real, but there are a few that are a bit Scooby-Dooish in this Horror/Thriller atmosphere.

Comic Relief - 6.0

This movie would have been better served darker. I understand the role comic relief has in film, but this atmosphere did not cater to it well. The comedy scenes detracted from my immersion into Prometheus’s world. I’m no sure what comedic writer assisted in the writing, but he did not do a good job, if one was even hired. There were a few hollywoodish, overused, poorly placed moments. This sort of thing doesn’t belong in what otherwise would have been labeled an “epic”. (It gives homage to another old epic within the film, as well!)

Ending - 5.0 give or take +3 or -3.

Decide for yourself. This is harder to be objective about.

In closing,

I wouldn’t waste my time seeing this on a date, or with any old buddy. Or at all if I was under 18. But if I’m interested in Sci-Fi, Science, Aliens, Outer Space, Biology or anything under these umbrellas, I’d make sure not to miss it and IN THEATERS for the graphics.

I wouldn’t be surprised, however, if much like the way of Blade Runner, a Blu-Ray Director’s Cut surfaces with a much darker version of the movie in the future.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:17 pm

http://psdo.tumblr.com/post/24734617181/eh-well-then-again-michael-fassbender

Jun 9
Eh. Well. Then again, Michael Fassbender.

Prometheus spoils.

Holy f#%@#&! s$#! Charlize Theron shoving Michael Fassbender into a wall holy s$#! holy s$#! the hottest thing.

THE HOTTEST THING

FUQ

Jesus f&#! christ can Fassbender do another movie as a condescending HOT ANDROID SERVANT

PLEASE

OVARIES CANNOT HANDLE IT AHHGBFBHGH

Unfortunately the forced alien pregnancy body horror trope made this movie pretty much irredeemable. They killed the most interesting side characters way too early, didn’t develop a few of them enough to care when they died, and… it was just weirdly paced. They tried to make Noomi Rapace’s character another Ripley but tripped over several harmful tropes along the way. Which is unfortunate, because despite all of that Noomi did a f#%@#&! great job in spite of the material.

It’s pretty, though, and entertaining enough. Overall it just seems like a step backwards in several categories.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:18 pm

http://ungrammaticality.tumblr.com/post/24734648062/so-prometheus-has-some-interesting-hypotheses

So. Prometheus has some … interesting hypotheses about language. Vague spoilers ahead.

I’m going to just gently tell everybody who might read this that the whole linguistic hypothesis of this movie, that you can LEARN THE ROOTS OF LOTS OF ANCIENT LANGUAGES and somehow FLAWLESSLY RECONSTRUCT THE LANGUAGE OF OUR CREATORS, or whatever, is cartoonish nonsense. Even if all of the languages of the world do stem from a single source, which is controversial at best and most likely simply not true, language can change in too many directions for linguistic reconstruction to ever be really concrete. We can come up with good hypotheses, and plausible forms, but there will always be doubt. Once you move from the realm of vocabulary and pronunciation into the higher levels, particularly word order, it gets REALLY difficult, and honestly not that likely.

But the movie leaves us with a way out! Let me introduce my own interpretation of the events in Prometheus.

I firmly choose to believe that their plans to learn the alien’s language lead to nothing at all. When intrepid robot David steps forward to speak with our friend the giant pale alien dude, I find it much more entertaining to believe that he is actually speaking complete gibberish with absurd confidence. After all, the alien never actually gives any indication that David’s attempt to speak to it worked; it just tears his head off and goes abou its business.

And in the end, isn’t it so much better to assume that when mankind finally encounters some mysterious life form, our reaction will be to step up to it and just squall nonsense until it gets angry?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:19 pm

scottkinmartin:
Prometheus (Movie Review)

(Artwork by A Civic Dilemma)

Shot entirely in 3D, Prometheus is a sci-fi movie with awesome special effects, impressive cinematography and incredible set design.

There are all sorts of things to fear in this movie—which sort of leaves you happy whenever someone dies because it means they won’t have to suffer anymore.

Prometheus poses more questions than answers, and the sequel bait at the climax, though frustrating, gives way to a potential trilogy. 7/10

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:20 pm

http://calamitas.tumblr.com/post/24734990725/organizing-my-basic-prometheus-thoughts-under-a

Organizing my basic Prometheus thoughts. Under a Read More to prevent spoilage.

Okay. I liked it. It was pretty great, tbh. Honestly? Sci-fi, traveling through space, blah blah blah? Typically my favorite kind of movies. So Prometheus fit in pretty well with my likes.

First off— Oh my dear lord I don’t know if it’s just that I haven’t seen a 3d movie in a while or if it was just that the movie was that pretty or maybe a combination of both but goodness gracious me I really just— beautiful. That opening scene? I probably would have watched a couple hours of just that because the landscapes were so pretty that it was almost like watching Planet Earth. I’m still curious about what that guy was doing, exactly, though. Was he working with the others? It didn’t exactly seem like it, since he didn’t have the helmet (which I view as the more militarized guys as opposed to him without the helmet). Was he the source of human life? Is that what happened? He falls into the water, the water spreads all over, and viola? That’s part of the reason why I don’t think he was with the others, because they seemed pretty intent on destroying everything on Earth while he just goes and spreads it all around.

I kind of like that idea though, that he basically had to give up his life to create life. Assuming, of course, that that is what indeed happened.

On the topic of those guys, I have to say that I really like how they were modeled. Every time we got to see their faces up close, or even just see them on screen, I kept thinking about how they looked similar to Greek statues and that really just seems to fit them, in my mind.

I don’t exactly understand why David gave Halloway the little… dna thing. My mum said it was because he wanted to make the alien baby, but that still didn’t make sense to me because the whole purpose of his (Peter’s and, in extension, David’s) mission was not to make aliens, but to talk to the aliens/their creators. Unless, of course, he was planning for it to take out Peter— but I was under the impression that, until Peter’s death, he was fully under his control and had to take care of Peter.

And while we’re speaking of David— Yes, wonderful, good.

Moving on.

Okay, in regards to plot: Apparently none of the guys that stayed until the end had a very good opinion of the movie, and were going on about how the plot was predictable and so on. Yeah, it probably was true that it was pretty predictable. I mean, my mum called that little alien baby thing. However, I really enjoyed it and didn’t really mind the predictability because— I don’t know. I suppose I just try and stay in the moment while I’m watching and don’t try to think too far ahead. But I think that, in the end, it wasn’t so much the plot that made the movie a well-made movie, but its ability to provoke thought. It is an interesting topic, after all.
» tagged Prometheus thoughts
1 day ago on 9 June 2012 @ 12:49am

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:20 pm

demon-kontrol:
"Prometheus"

At first I was psyching myself up because I’m a big Aliens fan and I was highly anticipating the return of Ridley Scott as a director for the sci-fi/horror. But I slowly got bored with the idea and had little expectations for what the movie was capable of. But thats how it hit me as one of the best movies I’ve seen this year. Heres why.

The movie starts off with captivating scenery and Ridley’s awesome imagination which continues to do him justice through out the film. The plot is straight forward; scientists wish to discover humanities origins by traveling to a moon near a planet. The cast is made up of characters with good intentions and bad, each character having conflicting agendas. Which pushed the story in a typical fashion. I know this movie wasn’t suppose to be a preqeul to the Alien series but it does tie in some echoing themes and ideas. “Sharing DNA” as director Ridley Scott explained it.

Characters die left in right with the heroin (who goes through so much s$#!) and the anti-hero android coming out being the last survivors figuring out that the human race was created by a Alien race similar too Humans, but with plans to destroy earth. The story ends with the sad tale of a question answered by more confusion.

I read some reviews and it seems the Prometheus didn’t meet expectations and was quickly compared to epic’s like Blade Runner and the original Alien. Homage was paid to visuals endlessly but most critism comes from it having a poor plot and a lack of depth. I did think there could have been more explaining and more crowd pleasing points, but overall I didn’t think it was a disappointment; I really liked it.

The thing is , I didn’t grow up watching Alien or Blade Runner in theaters , so even now I can’t really appreciate what it did to viewers at the time. Simply because its a reach back. So it makes sense that old critics can’t really connect with a movie that is past their youth. Its part of growing up and I had the privilege of growing into an amazing film like Prometheus. The End

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:21 pm

ptjudgementday:
Prometheus

Prometheus is among the most frustrating films I have watched in the last couple of years. The elements for a classic Scott masterpiece are in place: Fassbender, Rapace, Theron, Elba, jaw-dropping cinematography and a beautiful score. Somehow this film manages to fumble it’s way to the end leaving a sloppy mess which raised far more questions than it answered.

Alien is regarded as one of the greatest films of all time. Aliens is no slouch earning it’s place as one of the best Sci-Fi/Action/Horror films of our time. Let’s just pretend the franchise stopped there. Comparisons to the first two films of the franchise are inevitable. How does Prometheus fit in?

Prometheus does not fit with the franchise. Missing from Prometheus are: Well-written characters, horror elements, action and an investment from the audience. I had a hard time caring for the characters beyond David (Fassbender) and Elizabeth Shaw (Rapace). Meredith Vickers (Theron) could have been played by any generic blonde and it would not have made a difference. I was truly sad to see Theron’s talent wasted.

The horror elements in Prometheus are few and far between. One scene in particular is devilishly cringe-worthy I almost felt evil for loving it so much. However the suspense, tension and scary elements in Prometheus hardly exist. Do you remember the sheer terror you felt (and probably still feel) when Dallas met his demise in Alien? I wasn’t looking for a carbon copy, it would have been nice to capture the spirit of that incredible scene.

At one point or another the motivation behind every character is questioned by the audience. We’re not given enough groundwork to understand why some of the most brilliant minds in the world behave as though they were on the set of The Chernobyl Diaries. For those that missed it, TCD features some of the dumbest characters witnessed in a found footage/horror film.

It’s not all bad with Prometheus. Fassbender and Rapace carry this film with the little material they are given. Fassbender continues to impress me, quickly becoming one of my favorite actors working today. Rapace demonstrates a range from fragile, strong, curious, brilliant and everything in between. I may consider watching this film again if only to watch their performances.

The cinematography for Prometheus is absolutely jaw-dropping. I applaud Dariusz Wolski for a job well done. Much of the film takes place in dark places and not once was I bothered by the usual darkness of 3D. The sequence of the Prometheus landing on the mysterious world is breath-taking.

By the end of the film I was left feeling frustrated, confused and wondering whether any questions were answered. Did we jump to conclusions by thinking this was THE prequel to Alien? Will this be viewed as ONE of the prequels to Alien? Time will tell this story, I’ll put my money on the latter.

Much of the blame for Prometheus’ short-comings must fall on the shoulders of Scott (Director) and Lindelof (Writer). If Lindelof rings a bell, he was an executive producer and showrunner for the massive TV series, Lost. Prometheus has Lindelof’s signature all over it. His style works well for TV but fell short in this film. I will not dismiss him, it usually takes 10-15 years of creating stinkers to lose me as a fan (De Niro or Burton/Depp).

I finish by saying Prometheus is all over the map among audiences. I’ve seen a wide range of tweets such as “Best. Movie. Ever.” to “Joins the ranks of AVP.” Should you see this film? If you’re a fan of the franchise it’s worth it if only to join the conversation. The performances by Fassbender and Rapace are top-notch and it’s visually stunning.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:21 pm

whats-good-young-hoe:

Fassbender’s performance was near flawless. David was a character with so many layers and he acted it flawlessly, even somehow adding more layers to the character. Noomi Repace may have stolen the show. Her role was one that could’ve EASILY tanked, but she did a hell of a job. Her acting is some of the best I’ve seen of late. Idris Elba was funny in spurts and was the character you most cheered for. I was pleasantly surprised by Guy Pearce. I never thought he was very good, but he did extremely well. Charlize Theron is doing well in these bad ass female roles, but I’m starting to wonder if that’s all she’s good for anymore.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:23 pm

travistheater:
Prometheus

The ‘kind of’ prequel to Alien is here! And it’s the best scifi movie of the last 15 years along with one of Ridley Scott’s best!! (The opening credits reminded me of a Terrence Malick movie!) Everything is top notch including the directing, acting, visual effects, and cinematography. It’s easy to say Fassbender stole the show, but all the actors brought their A game. This movie just has everything you want in a scifi thriller and you don’t have to have seen the original Alien to appreciate it. The movie is full of tension, a sense of impending doom, and some parts can be unsettling and hard to watch. Some parts are left to interpretation and I know how that can annoy some people. Besides some of the open questions this movie is first rate and a must see instant scifi classic!!

a high 9/10
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top