Top News
WE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT MICHAEL-AN AWARD WINNING ACTOR

Congratulations to the cast and crew of "12 Years a Slave" winning an Oscar for Best Picture

Michael is currently filming "MacBeth"

Watch "12 Years A Slave" and "Frank" in theaters

Watch "The Counselor" and "12 Years A Slave" on DVD available now

Michael is set to star and produce on a film version of the video game "Assassin's Creed"

Completed projects: X-Men, Untitled Malik project

Upcoming projects Assassin's Creed, Prometheus 2, MacBeth,and more!

Header credit here

MFmultiply's Disclaimer

Order region 1 dvds-Amazon store

Order region 2-UK dvds-Amazon Shoppe

Please check the calender for films on TV, Theater, or dvd releases
December 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Prometheus previews and spoilers 2

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Prometheus previews and spoilers 2

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:23 pm

http://devil--bitch.tumblr.com/post/24735599603/prometheus-spoilers-beneath-the-cut

prometheus (spoilers beneath the cut)

still being a dork about this movie

and everyone who keeps saying that there were a bunch of questions left unanswered - i totally agree. that’s what’s keeping me up right now. BUT THAT’S THE POINT ISN’T IT!? here i am sitting up for hours after seeing the movie and i have not yet stopped thinking about it. trying to figure out the open ends. AND THAT’S PROBABLY WHAT THEY WERE AFTER. and to me that’s what makes it awesome, is that not everything is spelled the f&#! out for you like in every other movie these days. you have to sit there and think about it and come up with theories on your own, and there’s always the possibility that you’re wrong and there’s another explanation and that’s what keeps you thinking about it. and that to me is the mark of a good movie, when it keeps itself on your mind rather than you forgetting about it by the next day.

some things that i had issues with:

okay so they all come out of hypersleep and apparently they don’t all know each other and they weren’t briefed on what the f&#! they were going out into space for, they just wake up and they’re like “hey who are you where are we going and why are we going there” like what? why? how? idk man
the creatures were… eh. like they were scary and grotesque, but at the same time kind of vanilla. although you still cringe A WHOLE f#%@#&! LOT i just feel like the creature design could have been better. although the engineers were perfect and i’ve seen a few episodes of “ancient aliens” and that made me nerd out a little bit during the movie but anyway
really though what kind of scientist is gonna go “the air is breathable DURDURDURR GONNA TAKE MY HELMET OFF NOW.” NO. NOT OKAY
elizabeth running around right after giving herself a c-section, cutting through a bunch of muscles and probably some organs and other important things, drugging herself up a bunch, RIPPING THE UMBILICAL CORD OUT OF HER - LIKE OMFG i’m pretty sure part of her uterine wall would just be gone and she’d be bleeding internally (although i don’t know for sure if that’s what would happen.. f#%@#&! umbilical cords: how do they work?), and then getting stapled shut again… nope. nope nope nope. not gonna be RUNNING after that. crawling maybe. (noomi rapace is f#%@#&! great though omg)
also why does vickers have a male-only emergency surgery contraption? like… okay. i mean idk maybe she was keeping it just in case for weyland or something but that just doesn’t seem logical to me.
also after the alien was removed from elizabeth did vickers really not go into her chambers or whatever even for a minute? …maybe she did but didn’t notice it behind the airlock doors… it seemed to be f#%@#&! some things up though.. idk
how did the engineer know where elizabeth was after his ship crashed?
and the only other thing i can think of at present is that i loved david’s character but i can’t be all ~FASSBENDER~ because apparently he’s an abusive f#%@#&! dickbag human being so wah.

i loved this movie though. so, so much. there is just so much to think about with this movie liekekjfjdgsfdkgj i feel really happy that it can like stimulate me intellectually because 99% of movies these days don’t. at all. in any way. but this one did so A+
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:24 pm

http://lupinoschums.tumblr.com/post/24737201361/117-365-prometheus-2012

117/365: Prometheus (2012)

A team of explorers discover a clue to the origins of mankind on Earth, leading them on a journey to the darkest corners of the universe. There, they must fight a terrifying battle to save the future of the human race.

Director: Ridley Scott

Writers: Jon Spaihts (written by) and Damon Lindelof (written by)

Stars: Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, and Charlize Theron

I was mostly unimpressed by the story, as well as the 3D. Everyone I was with thought the 3D was great, so maybe I expect too much, but it didn’t seem to need to be in 3D and they could’ve spent more time on other aspects of it. My issues and likes are below in case you don’t want SPOILERS

Despite loving Michael Fassbender anyway for his looks, the fact that his robot character modeled himself after Lawrence of Arabia made me want to watch that. I don’t think I’ve seen it all the way through, if I’m honest. In any case, Fassy was phenomenal at mimicking Peter O’Toole and even though his character was an ass, he was my favorite. The main girl, while no baby, which I appreciated, made weird facial expressions which annoyed me. Why in 2094 have they not updated the design of the flashlight??? And why is everyone’s hairstyle like today? Why bother casting Guy Pearce as a really old guy? The only explanation I could think of for that was to fake us out that he would find some sort of fountain of youth and become young(er) again. I was distracted at the beginning trying to place one of the actors until I realized he played Ryan’s older brother on The O.C. Also, I was disapointed in Idris Elba’s Southern American accent. He’s usually so good at accents. I had some other issues, but those are the ones that spring to mind

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:25 pm

samtopia:
Man, Prometheus was pretty disappointing.

I’ll admit I wasn’t as excited about this movie as some people that I’ve talked to, but I was expecting good things based on the trailer and the hype. The first half of it was alright but it descended into convoluted madness in such an unfortunate way that by the end I was so completely uninvested in anything that was happening. On the plus side, Michael Fassbender was really phenomenal of course and the set design and effects were absolutely out of this world. That’s really saying something because with few exceptions if a live action movie is mostly computer animated I just can’t take it seriously (including Avatar) but the effects in Prometheus actually felt real, or at least really visually crisp. Seriously though that movie should have either completely dropped the Alien connection or dropped the mythological creator thing because mixing them both together just felt completely unwarranted. As far as summer blockbusters go it’s definitely more worth your money than most other films in theaters right now, but it doesn’t even hold a thousandth of a candle to Alien or Aliens.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:26 pm

aimtofass:
My prometheus space jockey theory

*SPOILERS* dont read if havent seen!

ok everyone whos seen it knows of the Space Jockey scene when David and crew take Weyland and wake up the Space jockey.

No one knows what David says to the Jockey that causes an outbrake of anger but what if its this:

David asks the space jockey about immortality this is what Weyland is looking for to live on forever (which he has almost done in David being artificial) and this is what gets Jockey upset because this is not how its suppose to be we are born to live life create it and then die its how it is.

Or also that the space jockeys need us humans as test subjects for the xenos if we cant die what are they going to use????
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:27 pm

http://rosethouartsick.tumblr.com/post/24738536475/my-take-on-why-the-engineers-did-what-they-did

My take on why the Engineers did what they did.

It’s pretty hokey in a Twilight Zone episode sort of way.

All we know about the Engineers is that they designed biological weapons. They had a habit of creating voracious, invasive predators.

Guess what humanity is.

That’s why, when Peter Weyland et al encountered the Space Jockey, the Space Jockey promptly tried to kill them. Individuals might seem frail and weak, but Weyland’s team were obviously the scouts, and humans are social animals - if a few show up, you can bet that an entire horde will follow. Human curiosity being what it is, someone is bound to follow after Weyland sooner or later.

Humans were created in the Engineers’ image, so the Engineers would know how dangerous they are. (See also: the obvious parallel between the Engineers’ creation of humanity and humanity’s creation of androids. In both cases, the progeny show the potential to surpass the progenitor.) If the expedition hadn’t been a disaster (because it was partly a horror movie, so most of the characters had to act like f#%@#&! morons to drive the plot), then Weyland Corp would’ve stripped LV-223 of all it was worth, and Mr. Jockey would’ve been taken to Earth to be cut up and probed. And then humanity would seek out the other Engineers, because if this species is one thing, it’s greedy: greedy for philosophical answers as much as greedy for power.

Part of me kind of wanted an ending where Shaw confronted the Engineers and asked, “Why did you create all these horrible creatures?” and the Engineers replied, “No Shaw, you are the horrible creatures!” AND THEN SHAW WAS A HORRIBLE CREATURE. (I liked Alien Resurrection, don’t judge me.) But I’ll admit that the ‘Humans are the real monsters’ trope has been done to death.

Why would the Engineers want to kill us and then decide to let us live? Eh, who knows; there are countless ways things could’ve gone down. Maybe the Engineers noted their own destructive tendencies and expected humanity to self-destruct in a similar manner without requiring Engineer involvement.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:27 pm

infinite-style:
Prometheus

There was only one film I was truly looking forward to and anticipating this year. That film is Riddley Scott’s Alien prequel Prometheus.

The films Alien and Aliens are two movies from my childhood that I really love and admire. At their core the films may be horror/action movies, but the ideas they put forward such as humans terraforming distant planets are incredibly fascinating to me. Set in the open cold black vastness of space to this day they leave my mind wondering about where human kind can go, what we can achieve, and what we can discover.

Naturally with the announcement of Prometheus I was incredibly excited. You had the director of the original Alien returning to create a prequel to the film. Everything seemed to be set in place. In interviews he was enthusiastic speaking of how he felt the later Alien sequels were not interesting and there was another fascinating angle in that story which went unexplored and ignored. It really felt like it was all coming together, all the pieces were there.

I was wrong, … I was so wrong.

From a purely technical perspective Prometheus is a fantastic movie. The sets are great, costumes are wonderful, the atmosphere is perfect, photography and editing are top notch, and the special effects are amazing. However if look past those elements and start to examine that script and the story it all starts to unravel and quickly fall apart.

** SPOILERS **

Prometheus is nothing more than a film studios elaborate plan to try and breathe life into a dead franchise. When you analyze the script and the story you can almost envision a checklist of ideas and events from the first Alien movies that the writes felt they had to include, or better yet were told they had to include.

- Female lead
- Evil droid
- Inability for female lead to have children
- Alien that ingest via mouth
- Female lead in her underwear
- Evil droid getting torn apart
- Open ending for sequel possibility

It really feels like this was written not because there was a fantastic idea for a prequel, but because they figured they could take the elements that worked so well in the first movies try to mask them in a different environment and hope for another hit.

Ultimately these elements could work, but they fall apart because the story throws ideas and scenarios at you only to leave them discarded and forgotten. Of everything Prometheus brings forward nothing is ever explained. Plus the characters time and time again behave in completely irrational manners strictly for the sake of bringing things to the place the writers want.

One of the films standout characters is David, an android played by Michael Fassbender. David seems to have quite a mean streak in him, he contaminates one of his crew members and as result has Elizabeth Shaw (the lead) impregnated by an alien. Unfortunately his behavior is never explained, and as you head into the films climax it’s simply brushed away and forgotten. After discovering she is pregnant with an alien Shaw heads into a medical room where she cuts the alien out of her stomach. She then manages to walk out of there and make it to a room where she discovers Petter Wayland, the billionaire who financed the expedition. Wayland along with his android David are preparing to go out of the ship and Shaw makes a heroic plea to them that they should leave the planet. You would think she would include the alien she cut out of her stomach as a part of her plea. However she doesn’t. You would think she might raise some questions as to why David infected her and her boyfriend. Yet she doesn’t.

Why?

Because everything that happens is just an item on a check list that needs to be crossed off. It happened because it needed to happen. Who needs motives and closure? We need to get from point A to point B. And it doesn’t end there. In that same scene it’s revealed that Petter Wayland is the father of the ships captain. In a painful Star Wars-esque scene the captain Meredith Vickers drops to her knees and says “Father” …

Does this add anything? No. Does this explain Vickers behavior up until that point. No. It serves nothing, it gives nothing. The only win is for George Lucas who has a bit of company in the painful dialogue department. How it didn’t end up on the cutting room floor is beyond me.

These are just a few examples but the lack of motivation and reasoning transcends more or less every single character in the movie. Their actions are determined simply by the needs to move the story forward and set up certain events. One minute a character is terrified of the idea of there being alien lifeforms nearby, the next minute he’s trying to pet a strange alien creature.

Then in conclusion are two other things that really bother me, and perhaps I am too much a stickler for details. In Alien and in Aliens they planet they land on is called LV-426. However in Prometheus the planet they land on is called LV-233. At the start of Alien when they search the ship they discover an Alien (Space Jockey) in his flight suit dead in the ships command chair, with a hole in his stomach. At the end of Prometheus the Space Jockey dies on the Prometheus’ escape pod, without his flight suit on.

This begs the question, is this the same planet or this an oversight on details? If it’s not the same planet then why have an epic crash scene of the Alien ship in the films climax? You could have done anything at that point, and that scene only reinforces the notion that it’s the ship which is found at the start of Alien. This again reinforces my idea that they ran through a check list of things from Alien that needed to be tied in.

Having thought on it for a few days I’ve reached this conclusion. The ending was written with two theories in mind:

Should Prometheus flop they can say nothing and it can go down as Star Wars-esque oversights.

If the film should succeed … gentlemen we have ourselves a sequel.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:28 pm

http://www.slantmagazine.com/film/review/prometheus/6334

Prometheus *½

by John Semley on June 5, 2012 Jump to Comments (3) or Add Your Own

Buy on Amazon:
Soundtrack

When it arrived on multiplex screens last year, Matthis van Heijningen Jr.'s remake of The Thing proved a modest, mostly middling, popcorn flick. A box-office disappointment, it nonetheless proved an interesting case study. With his Thing, van Heijningen fused the beats of John Carpenter's superb 1982 Antarctic-set actioner (itself a remake of Howard Hawks and Christian Nyby's The Thing From Another World) onto an ostensibly "original" story that dutifully laid the scene for Carpenter's film—a deft, if ungainly, synthesis befitting the source material. Whatever its faults, van Heijningen's film operated loyally, and effectively in places, in the shadow of Carpenter's, minting a handy connect-the-dots boilerplate for how to make this kind of movie in the process.

With Prometheus, Ridley Scott attempts to pull off the same trick. The filmmaker isn't as concerned with matching the clockwork pacing or clinical tension of 1979's Alien, a movie holding the double distinction as being one of the most perfectly constructed horror pictures in the history of the medium and, with apologies to Blade Runner (and his Orwellian Macintosh computer commercial), quite obviously the best film Ridley Scott has ever made.

The decision to start from the beginning is telling. Since 1979, Alien has hatched all manner of adjacent properties en route to establishing itself as a franchise, with H.R. Giger's acid-spitting extra-terrestrials being co-opted as stand-in adversarial variables, fit to pit against one or another comparably bankable franchise figure in comic books, video games, and spin-off films (most notably the otherworldly big-game hunter Predator in the Alien Vs. Predator movies, but also Superman, Green Lantern, Judge Dredd, Batman, Terminator, and even you—yes, you—in the Australian "laser skirmish" theme-park attraction AVPX: Alien vs. Predator vs. You). It's not only that the licensed, canonized Alien film sequels paled in comparison to Scott's original, it's that the alien itself has been sold off like a breakfast-cereal mascot, diluting the taut perfection of that 1979 film with each subsequent relicensing. Prometheus seems conceived as a remedy to this, an attempt to extricate the franchise from its intractable outgrowths, an effort to deflate its bloat. Yet it unfolds like more of a knee-jerk rejoinder, a mawkishly brainy overreaction.

Prometheus opens with Scott's camera heli-tracking across some wild and windy moor, where a bleached, muscular humanoid of presumably extraterrestrial origin disrobes, acknowledges a disc hovering in the atmosphere, then consumes a viscous black fluid that ravages its body, sending it disintegrating into a river below. However many eons later, circa C.E. 2089, paramour archeologists Elizabeth Shaw (Noomi Rapace) and Charlie Holloway (Logan Marshall-Green) discover a cave etching depicting a human figure pointing toward a cluster of stars. The constellation's formation matches a number of others indexed across ancient human civilization, constituting sufficient evidence to justify aging zillionaire Peter Weylan (Guy Pearce, heavily augmented by prosthetics, and likely some CGI) sending a team of scientists to the far reaches of the galaxy, trailing the origins of human life on a hunch.

The crew of the titular rocket ship is rounded out by a cast of boringly "colorful" characters: Idris Elba's hard-bitten cap'n, Sean Harris's bad-boy geologist, Charlize Theron's chilly emissary to Weyland Corp., and, most notably, Michael Fassbender's android, David. Unlike post-cinema's other David (Haley Joel Osment's beaming boy-robot Pinocchio in Steven Spielberg's A.I.: Artificial Intelligence), Fassbender's aspirations to humanity are recognizably blasé. Cold and affectless, he bides the two-plus-year journey across the stars rewatching Lawrence of Arabia, stylizing his speech (and Hitler-youth hairdo) on Peter O'Toole, and circling Prometheus's onboard basketball court on a BMX bike, nailing nothing-but-net three pointers—a callback (or forward), perhaps, to Sigourney Weaver's superhuman slam dunk in Alien: Resurrection. Many of Fassbender's performances are dogged by a cold, dead-behind-the-eyes quality, marshaled to good use here.

It's to the film's credit that it doesn't futz about with David's ulterior motives, as he slinks about executing a hidden-agenda subroutine stored in his memory banks as the rest of the crew treks into dusty caves in search of "Engineers"—aliens believed to have kick-started life on Earth. Alien fans, after all, are wise to the shady machinations of Ian Holm's android in the original, so there's no use belaboring the point in a film that, despite all pretensions to contrary, is aimed squarely at the franchise's embedded audience. Prometheus positions itself as a corrective to stuff like Alien vs. Predator: Requiem, but it's not much different: flattering fan-service, albeit configured across loftier axes. Prometheus plays out like bogusly high-minded fan fiction. It seems to suggest—or rather, insist—that all along, the Alien films have been about something other than resourceful sci-fi/horror plotting or space-marine romping. Prometheus launches itself well out of the franchise's stratosphere in an attempt to pretend that Alien has somehow always been about the Big Issues—life, the universe, and everything in between.

Prometheus underpins its marginally tense, fleetingly exciting horror/action/thriller hybrid with inch-deep philosophical pretensions, struggling to parse the expanses (morally and literally) that we'd travel to satisfy our basic human inquisitiveness. Along the way, Scott tries to dress up this tedium with space-zombies, space-dune buggy getaways, and even a space-abortion—admittedly, the film's best, and funniest, scene. It aspires to Stanley Kubrick's 2001, but in its maddeningly unresolved plot threads and cornball cosmic mysticism, it lands closer to Mission to Mars—though Prometheus lacks any action set piece as gripping as the Brian De Palma film's sentient sandstorm.

As the ship's crew is thinned, and a series of genetic mutations and chest-burstings bring us closer to the birth of Alien's instantly recognizable monster, Prometheus seems to delusionally maintain that its modest thrills are being enlivened by deeper concerns. By the time the film's ivory-skinned god-figure titan straps into a WWII-style gun turret, it's clear these answers to all its highfalutin half-questions are nowhere to be found. Instead, Prometheus pesters its audience into deferring to its thin profundities. Though certainly, many sitting in the theater may well wonder, albeit with a sense of imminent urgency, "Why are we here?"

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:28 pm

kachofuugetsu:
My thoughts watching Prometheus.

HOLY s$#! HOLY s$#! THAT WAS EPIC!!!

HEY WAIT, I’M CONFUSED.

AH! AH! TENTACLE RAPE!!

AH, LOOK IT’S THE HULK, ALIEN STYLE!! Very Happy

SHE GAVE BIRTH TO A SQUID???

CONFUSED. SHE’S RUNNING BUT SHE JUST RIPPED A LITTLE SQUID FROM HER STOMACH.

NOT SURE IF I THINK THIS IS BELIEVABLE…

OK, WHAT THE f&#! HAPPENED TO HIS FACE?

SOMEONE PASS ME A CHOCOLATE.

I’M THROUGHLY CONFUSED. IS THAT ROBOT GOOD OR BAD…?

WOW, LOOK AT THE CGI. CLASSIC.

HEY! MORE TENTACLE RAPE!

WAIT… HE’S STILL ALIVE?

OH NO, HE’S DEAD AGAIN.

BLONDIE GOT SQUASHED.

RANGA-CHICK GOT SQUASHED… NO WAIT SHE’S STILL ALIVE.

HEY, ALIEN HAS RECOVERED A THIRD TIME… WAIT, NOW HE’S GROWING MORE TENTACLES.

I’M EVEN MORE CONFUSED.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:29 pm

http://www.examiner.com/review/prometheus-movie-review

'Prometheus' Movie Review
June 9, 2012

Ridley Scott’s science fiction thriller, ‘Prometheus’ has landed in theatres. This is the highly-anticipated prequel to the ‘Alien’ franchise. Visually this new film is spectacular. It is a fun ride but unfortunately it’s missing the suspenseful intensity of the original ‘Alien’ film. Scott is quoted as saying, “The ideas tackled in this film are unique, large, and provocative.” He is correct; this is an ambitious film, notwithstanding, that may be the biggest flaw for the movie. It tries to tackle the heavy topic of creationism. My advice Mr. Scott, leave the questions of where we came from to filmmaker Terrence Malick who tackled these existentialist questions brilliantly in his film, ‘The Tree of Life.’

This film has all the ingredients to be a master work. It has an excellent cast including Noomi Rapace (the original Girl with the Dragon Tattoo), Charlize Theron, Michael Fassbender, and Guy Pearce (who plays an old-man). The film has one of the most talented directors in Ridley Scott (Alien, Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, Thelma & Louise). The script was penned by Jon Spaihts and ‘Lost’ guru Damon Lindelof. So what went wrong? Quite simply, you can have all the magnificent special effects in a film but if the story is a mess, the film will miss its mark. This is precisely the case for ‘Prometheus. The story is disjointed because it tries to cover too much ground.
Advertisement

I’m not saying this is a bad film. I’m saying that this film could have been better with a little tweaking of the storyline. This film is worth the price of admission. Don’t get me wrong. However, the story has so many elements that it loses its flow in my opinion. With that said, the look of ‘Prometheus’ is amazing. At the beginning of the film, we see a humanoid alien tossing DNA into a turbulent body of water. When the film cuts to the spaceship, ‘Prometheus,’ that is when the story really takes off. It’s gorgeous just watching the ‘Prometheus’ travel through space. The film even includes flying electronic ‘pups’ that map out the alien cavern before the first bloodbath occurs. The art direction, set design, and cinematography (by Dariusz Wolski) are first-rate and should garner a few Oscars at next year’s Academy Awards.

The story takes place in 2093. The research ship, ‘Prometheus’ arrives at a planet after a two-year voyage to explore the human origins of life. The crew is awakened by the android David, played exceptionally well by Michael Fassbender. He is like a walking HAL 9000. Fassbender is a brilliant actor who starred in two of my favorite recent movies, ‘Shame’ and ‘A Dangerous Method.’ David has occupied his time during the voyage learning a variety of ancient languages and watching the classic, ‘Lawrence of Arabia.’ Interestingly, David’s idea of what it means to be human comes from Peter O’Toole’s character. David walks through the spaceship quoting lines from the film such as, “The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts.”

Another stand-out performance is Noomi Rapace who is the original ‘Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.’ I know people that refused to see the American version with Rooney Mara as the Gothic sleuth because they felt Rapace’s depiction was the definitive performance. Without a doubt, the Swedish actress is very talented. This performance should catapult her career to the next level. She plays research scientist Dr. Elizabeth Shaw . As the heroine, she possesses just the right mix of vulnerability and determination for the role. I won’t spoil the scene in which she must inflict surgery on herself but it’s an intense display of human endurance.

The way the story plays out. There is more than enough room for a sequel. Besides the weakness in the storyline, there are so many other aspects of this film that work well, it is definitely one to catch at your local Cineplex. ‘Prometheus’ is now playing at Edwards Boise 22 Stadium, Edwards BoDo 9, and Majestic Cinemas – Meridian.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:32 pm

andrewdavisfilm:
Prometheus

I was really looking forward to it, and ended up seeing it opening night last night, which I normally don’t do. I have a love/hate relationship with it. I love Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace’s performances. They were two of few who had intriguing characters. The effects, cinematography, just everything visually and audio-wise was just so aesthetically pleasing.

But the plot and “scares” slipped too easily into sci-fi/horror clichés, and the character’s motivations were hard to understand. One minute a certain character is freaking out about aliens, the next minute, trying to pet one. I felt like the movie was a constant back-and-forth trip between the spaceship, Prometheus, or “homebase” I’ll call it, and the cave where they searched for life forms. And they kept going back to the cave, after people had already died brutal alien deaths there. Freakin’ get off that planet and forget it!

I dislike when people say that movies have to be realistic, because they don’t, but the characters in the story still have to have realistic motives and make somewhat realistic decisions based on their personality, mixed with the situations and circumstances at hand. I blame the laziness of the writers for letting character/plot holes slip through the cracks like they did.

Ridley Scott is a great filmmaker. No doubt about it. But this just didn’t quite do it for me. Every five minutes of the film, I switched from loving it, to hating it again. I can’t tell you if it’s worth seeing in theaters or not, because it’ll depend on the person. I had a good time. But there’s still a bad taste in my mouth.

Anyone agree or disagree?
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:32 pm

davesloboda:
PROMETHEUS review (slightly spoilerish)

Got out of work a little past 3pm today (well, yesterday) and headed out to King Of Prussia with a coworker to catch the 7pm screening of ‘Prometheus’ in IMAX 3D.

I really enjoyed the film. I was able to keep my expectations a bit lower than I had anticipated after first seeing the teasers & trailers when they came out. I also avoided watching ‘Alien’ before hand because I wanted to have a more open mind and limit any potential preconceived notions about this film. I wanted to enjoy ‘Prometheus’ on its own.

The film was beautifully shot and well acted, except for Guy Pearce, but I’ll blame the horrible job the makeup team did, not Guy himself. Ridley Scott’s direction was top notch as is usually the case. It was really exciting getting to see his return to science fiction, I’m hoping he does films in the genre more often than he has in the past! The cinematography and production design are also high points for the film. I’m not sure if the entire film was shot natively in 3D or if only certain parts were, but for the most part, the 3D was rather good.

What I may have liked most about ‘Prometheus’ was that I found myself eager to discuss it with the guy I saw it with…or with anyone who’s seen it for that matter! It might sound strange, but that’s a big rarity in films these days…the WONDER! I love that the film didn’t simply answer everything and that you’re left to make up your own mind on the matter at hand. I was also pleased that it asked at least as many questions (probably more) as it does actually answer.

As for my issues with the film, Guy Pearce’s Peter Weyland is probably at the top of my very short list. I think they made a bad choice when casting the character as he’s seen in the film itself. There was a piece of viral marketing that featured Pearce’s Weyland that showed the character pretty much as just Pearce himself. However, in the film Weyland is 90+ years old and it was Pearce made up to look old. It wasn’t good makeup at all, and it was kind of distracting to me whenever he happened to be on screen (which, thankfully, isn’t for very long). This was a bit of a bummer for two reasons: 1. I like Guy Pearce. He’s a really good actor and I was looking forward to him in this film. And 2. The rest of the film’s production was quite stellar, so this made his bad makeup seem to standout even more.

My other main issue is, at times, it didn’t feel quite as serious as maybe it should have. Don’t get me wrong, I understand and can completely appreciate levity, but to me it felt a bit like levity for the sake of levity…as if someone said to the writers, “Hey…let’s fit a few laughs in there!” Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t over-the-top or anything like that, but even though ‘Prometheus’ isn’t really a “prequel” to ‘Alien’, the moments of levity in ‘Alien’ always had an air of uneasiness to them. I didn’t get that same sense with the few laughs came up in ‘Prometheus’. So this gripe is really a minor one, but it’s still kinda there.

Quick tidbits… Both Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender were excellent throughout. Idris Elba was a treat as well. I found myself rather enjoying Charlize Theron’s performance even though I’m generally not really a big fan of hers.

Wrapping up, it’s a really strong film. It’s not perfect, but it reaches up and touches perfect at multiple parts…so that’s not too bad! If you want to see it, I can’t recommend seeing it in IMAX enough. Whether it’s in 3D or not (I think there might be an option for both)…just do whatever you can to see this film on the largest available screen you can find!
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:33 pm

willslutformexicans:
Prometheus

Tonight I went to go see Prometheus with Said and his/our friend James, and since it was a (1) new (2) action movie (3) on a Friday night with (4) some famousy people in it, it was a little crowded. Not too crowded, but maybe 50-60% full.

I haven’t been to a movie this crowded in a very long time, and I just remembered something. I think it is as popular to go to the movies as it is to joke about the fact that people who talk in the movies have a special place in Hell waiting for them. Everyone knows this fact. It’s f#%@#&! universal, from Hollywood movies to Bollywood movies, and I wouldn’t be surprised that if you asked members of some isolated tribal society if they knew about this punishment for talking in a movie, they’d say something to the effect of, “Movie? What’s a movie? But yes, certainly, I know this rule.”

There was a family behind me that had a question/comment/laugh/hypothesis for every. f#%@#&!. moment. It was a group of 40- to 50-year-old’s (-ish) white people, and while I knew that this certain age and race combination does this annoying s$#!, I completely forgot about it. Until tonight.

Throughout the previews: Does the IMAX means it’s IMAX or that it’s 3D? Is this a commercial or a preview? Is this a remake of the original or something? What’s this?; what’s that?

At one point there was some random Rachel Maddow and MSNBC commercial about wind energy, to which this family Republicanly (for lack of a better word, because there is no better word—period) laughed at the implausibility of wind energy, e.g.: *Imitation of a ticking time-bomb which actually makes perfect sense for the usage of fossil fuels, but okay…*

Then during the movie there was mostly one of two things: (1) laughter for no g*&^%$# reason, and (2) obvious speculation as to what was happening either now or next.

I don’t know why the f&#! people talk during movies. Obviously, there are some exceptions: in response to What did they just say?, an emergency popping up, or if you are f#%@#&! hilarious as f&#! and the movie sucks (usually needs to have both elements), etc.

If I find you, I keel you.

Stop it.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:33 pm

vickywinters:

158/365 Prometheus

After I saw Prometheus, I watched Alien cause I bought it on blu ray a while ago but never watched it and I hadn’t seen it in ages, and I hadn’t even realized that Prometheus has the same titles, the same format, etc. - there are more similarities than I realized. But Alien is just about a towing crew, Prometheus has much bigger stakes and more interesting and diverse characters. And it’s just so … awesome. The whole time I was thinking, can we just take a moment and appreciate Ridley Scott and true originality in science fiction, and the fact that the small details of the technology and the world of the film have been crafted with actual effort besides let’s blow s$#! up and make sure we’re PG-13. Not to be douchetastic, but there is a real art involved that’s so refreshing, AND it’s rated R.

AND OF COURSE, FASSBENDER. He was so great, what an amazing character. I love love love David, I love the moral ambiguity and the fact that he’s more complex than the human characters, cause you could really spend a whole movie trying to figure out to what extent he does feel and what’s the real definition of a soul and etc., all things that fit in with the movie’s themes and the kind of stuff they bring up but can’t really wrap up in two hours. Which is why I really, really hope they make sequels, like now. I also am totally in love with Noomi Rapace now and I thought Idris Elba was great. Anyway it was just brilliant, I think I’m going again tomorrow.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:34 pm

http://thefilmfatale.tumblr.com/post/24732178646/prometheus-a-moment-of-clarity

Prometheus: A moment of clarity

It’s easy for us to take everything we watch at face value. I am certainly guilty of doing this when I watch movies. While some movies can be pretty up front with a message, others are a lot more subtle. While Ridley Scott’s Prometheus was certainly a visceral experience, there were also some things that audiences needed to piece together for themselves. And maybe that’s not so bad for a film, where everything isn’t necessarily spelled out for the viewer and you have to figure it out on your own.

Proceed only if you have seen the film and do not care about spoilers. I will be discussing a lot of the plot points in the story that may have been a little unclear during an initial viewing.

After thinking a little bit more about Prometheus, I have actually started to understand a lot of it. I think it may require a second viewing to be able to fully understand it and although there are still some things that are weak in the plot (zombie Fifield and the flute-manned spaceship are notable examples) I think I get what the writers were going for and what the story was trying to tell. Taken at face value it might not have seemed as impressive at the time but now looking back and after much rumination it actually is a pretty profound, unsettling story.

The Prologue

So the prologue actually was THE PROLOGUE. The beginning. The Engineers went to earth and created life using the black goo thingies. The black goo spawned the first life forms on Earth (that’s why David was like ‘big things have small beginnings’ because the tiny black goo was some sort of amoeba like cretin or whatever that was the first life form on earth). However, in order to create life one must destroy life, which is also another line said by David, hence why the engineer had to die in the beginning. Because life cannot start out of nothing is the point. The Alien needs a host to become a complete specimen which the ending alludes to, thus in order to create life one must destroy life. You can even read into it a Jesus complex that the engineer sacrificed himself for the sake of all mankind, which is another play on the science vs creationism theories.

The next thing I understood was that on the return trip back to their home planet, the engineers realize that what they created has turned on them and ultimately will lead to their demise. Sort of like Alien, where everything is fine and dandy until they realize these things will inhabit or consume them in order to live on their own. Parasites. This is when the engineers “changed their minds” as Elizabeth said. They reach their home planet and try to chart a return course back to earth only to be overwhelmed by the cretins, which would explain all the dead bodies on the ship. One of the engineers is left on the ship and is woken up from hyper sleep by David, Weyland, etc. and instead of welcoming his descendants with open arms he goes berserk because he realizes that man has been allowed to live and procreate and has even been allowed to make images of himself (like the Engineers tried to do with humans) with David. I just noticed the way the Engineer sort of looked at David with a mixture of disgust and revelry and it kind of hit me that it was sort of like an “oh no” moment, that he realized that they had failed and Earth was now populated by humans. In a rage he attacks David and then attempts to start up the ship to finish his mission.

So in effect they were about to go back to earth to destroy it before man could become their ultimate destruction, which now that I think about it, is pretty much the myth of Prometheus. Prometheus steals fire from the gods only to be struck down and punished because he dared to give life where he had no right to.This ties into why David deceived the crew and brought the capsule on board the ship, because he felt like the crew didn’t understand their origin and that he himself is a product of man’s desire to create fire for themselves. It also ties into why Elizabeth was impregnated, because it was David’s own way of saying, here I’m a robot but I too can create life where there wasn’t before. It also goes back to what Elizabeth said, “I can’t create life. What does that make me?” This raises philosophical questions about what defines womanhood, for example, or even just humanity in general. If your purpose in life is to procreate and you are unable to, what does that make you?

Characters

Although some didn’t particularly care for the Peter Weyland surprise, I actually thought it was quite interesting. Here was a guy who had reached the end of his reign and he felt that he wasn’t ready to go yet. Charlize Theron’s character, Meredith Vickers, says: “A king has his reign, and then he dies. It’s inevitable.” But Weyland felt that his time wasn’t up yet. As a powerful man with enormous tools at his disposal, he could literally plead with the gods to make him live longer - almost like he was in search of the Fountain of Life in space. Naturally when Elizabeth Shaw and Charlie Holloway give him hope that they can reach our makers, Weyland jumps at the opportunity to, well, live forever. Weyland’s obsession with longevity and the need to create life is evident in the way he treats David as a son. Weyland created David just like the Engineers created Man, and David felt like that made him mankind’s kindred spirit, and yet they look on him with disdain.

This makes me think about what scientist Neill Degrasse Tyson said. He basically said that man is always curious about what’s out there, seeking out alien life forms and life on other planets, perhaps far superior beings than we are. But he mentioned something stunning: just as we regard ourselves as superior to chimpanzees, which we are related to, what are the chances that the beings who live on other planets regard us as inferior to them? This idea seems to have found itself on Prometheus.

Finally what’s the tie-in to Alien? Well, my theory is that the planet that the Nostromo touched down on was the same planet where Prometheus found the Engineers’ ship. The weather conditions were similar (with that weird dust storm). The Nostromo responded to some sort of transmission from a nearby planet on their way back to Earth, whether this transmission was from Vickers’ life-sustaining pod, the crashed Prometheus or the crashed Engineer ship (or hey, maybe even a distress signal relayed by Elizabeth Shaw herself or David) who knows. The picture below is from Alien, and as you can see it’s the exact same position the last Engineer was in when he crash landed after Prometheus rammed into his ship. My suspicion is that the eggs found by the Nostromo crew were the mutated versions of those black goo capsules the Prometheus crew found.

Anyway, that’s all I’ve got for now. Hope this helped clear up some things for those who were left a bit confused about the plot.

Does this post answer every plot hole in the film? No. Does it make up for the hilarity of the audience yelling at Charlize Theron to “RUN HORIZONTALLY!” during the end scene of the film? Probably not. But I am inclined to rework my review of Prometheus so I can give the film the rating is justly deserves.

Thoughts?
#Prometheus #spoilers
∞ June 09, 2012
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:37 pm

redpatty:
Saw Prometheus

It’s okay.

There are spoilers here. Duh.

Prometheus starts with an alien using a dish of black bubbly goo to melt himself into a river. His DNA makes cells which presumably evolve into human beings over the next billion some-odd years. Okay fine.

From the trailers alone, you know that this movie is going with the “Ancient gods are space aliens” angle. At this point, that’s actually cliche’ but the movie never pushes it so hard that it becomes bothersome. The theme of aliens being the creators of life on the other hand; is pushed so hard that it crushes you to death.

Now the really annoying part comes in when you meet the crew. Micheal Fassbender as David is absolutely fantastic. The rest of the crew however, is completely useless if not hilariously inept. They’re introduced, and it’s revealed that they didn’t meet each other before being awakened from stasis. … Does that mean space travel is so common that just anybody can get across the galaxy? Or more likely, they didn’t train together or get briefed prior to the mission because f&#! you this movie needs an exposition dump.

I could go on about how the script fails to build tension, how what should be shocking reveals end up being notably less than shocking. How every death feels like it’s in the fifth sequel to a s$#! slasher movie rather than Ridley Scott’s return to science fiction. But I won’t because I’m lazy.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:38 pm

http://facts-i-just-made-up.tumblr.com/post/24730602339/why-should-you-read-the-following-3-500-word

Why should you read the following 3,500 word review of Prometheus?

Because when I was jobless in Hollywood, I once sat outside Stan Winston Studio holding a sign that read “WILL DESIGN ALIENS FOR FOOD”. Had anyone looked closely, they’d have seen inspired masses of tendrils and skeletal structures, creatures that formed each letter, every one of them having taken hours to draw. They didn’t look closely, the first man who came along told me to leave or he’d call the police. Thus ended my career in creature design, which had begun in the womb.

No seriously- My Mom saw Alien when she was pregnant. Great movie to watch if you have something growing inside you, though she didn’t know the plot before it came out. And I wouldn’t give an credence to such an event effecting the fetus if not for the obsession I had with H.R. Giger and his revolutionary beast as a child.

I grew up on Alien. The movie was my church, Giger was my priest. I learned to draw, and drew Aliens. I learned to write, and wrote Alien 5. I learned to make movies, and I moved to L.A. Sadly, that city’s gates aren’t open to new ideas or new people. So as an artist, I’ve evolved well beyond Giger and Dali worship and produced a massive body of work, written novels, made movies, illustrated comics all my own. But the Alien franchise never let me in. I could only watch.

I watched Alien 4 end the series. I watched Predators cheapen it. I watched Ridley Scott claim he’d return to save it. And opening midnight on IMAX 3D, I watched Prometheus. Why should you care what I have to say about it? Because of all the fans in that packed theater, I was the only who had could have saved it.

-SPOILERS FOLLOW-

This review is intended only for people who have seen the film. It relies on a knowledge of the film. It will ruin anything good about the film for those who haven’t seen it.

SPOILERS BEGIN:

To cover the obligatory technical side and make way for my real interests:

The visual effects were flawless. Nothing looked fake except for smoke, as has been par for CG effects since day 1. I don’t know why Cameron didn’t film practical elements for Titanic in favor of cartoony smog, I don’t know why ILM’s hookah vapors haven’t been surpassed in terms of particle rendering, that’s just life and every movie in the last 30 years has had fake looking smoke.

But the ship, the planet, the aliens, the sparkles in the snot, the claws on the surgical system, everything that can look real in a modern movie looked real. Showcased in vibrant, sleek cinematography in the most realistic and unobtrusive, immersive 3D since Avatar. The film is a visual symphony of landscape and light worthy of any grand masterpiece by Storaro or Kaminski.

The music was perfect. More memorable than most modern movie music, intense when it had to be, inspiring when it had to be, Alien when it had to be. That brief musical reference as the hologram came on turned Peter Weyland into Harry Seldon for a second. That’s what a score can do in the right hands. Ridley and Tony Scott have always put music to the best of uses and Prometheus is no exception.

The sound design rumbled and creaked and burst with originality (No Wilhelm screams or T-Rex roars out of these cast and creatures. Seriously why did Avatar’s mega panther thing have to have a T-Rex roar? Brought the whole movie down) and effective sparsity. This is smart sound design, and justified fully the price of my IMAX ticket. The free poster helped with that too.

To say that Prometheus is well made is an understatement. It is one of the most ambitious and perfectly executed works of cinematic production ever accomplished. It’s one of the few films to merit comparisons to 2001, as so many others have tried. But it earns that much, from the design of the worlds, human and otherwise to the details that make those worlds feel lived in, there is nothing missing from this film’s setting and how its rendered onto the screen. There are flaws, massive ones, but they are not with craft of this film. Inasmuch as film is a science, Prometheus is as good as it gets.

As for the art:

As Arthur C. Clarke showed with Rendezvous with Rama, the idea of learning about an alien world is fascinating even if we never see them, nobody gets hurt, nothing happens. Rama is 200 pages of nothing happening beyond exploration. And it enraptures anyone with a brain. The exploration in the first act of Alien was worthy of that. Worthy of Lovecraft. Prometheus has that spark too, big time. The first half hour of this film is great Sci-Fi. Great hard science fiction that’s great for all the reasons science fiction can be great. David is great. Fassbender does a great job making him great. I’ll stop typing that word now before my G key breaks off.

The questions about what happened are compelling. The Mountains of Madness inspired material is well served (Guillermo- It wasn’t too close to Mountains of Madness. Make your film anyway). The prickly alien holograms, the events in the caves, the still unexplained giant head, all brilliant. All top notch. Compelling, exciting, fascinating. I could have used with a bit more Giger inside that dome instead of rock, but whatever. One of the film’s highest moments is that it gives us the answers we sought for 30 years and they don’t disappoint. They outdo our hopes by one spectacular suggestion:

Many fans thought that the Alien was a bioweapon made by the Space Jockey’s species. It was practically canon, now it’s canon. This film confirms it but adds the sickening realization humankind was created just to be its test victim, or gestation chambers at best. f&#! yes! Film doesn’t get any better than the revelation behind David’s line. I realize of course that other people got other things from it. Good for them, they can write their own reviews. I saw Prometheus to learn the horrific secret behind the series and I got what I came for. A climax. A cinematic, conceptual orgasm.

The foreplay had some illogical character decisions, assumptions, all the nitpicks of a common Star Trek episode. It had material better suited to AVP or Alien 4. The fact is, any real Sci-Fi fan has lived in nitpickable worlds all their lives. Not even Heinlein is immune. Real Trekkies can watch the dumbest f#%@#&! episode ever written and note the plot holes- But not care. What’s the trick to enjoying Prometheus? Not to mind that it hurts. No movie is perfect. Prometheus is very far from perfect, a shame as it had potential beyond potential. But I really don’t care if the scientist shouldn’t have taken his mask off. I’ve seen a thousand scientists take their masks off or beam down to unknown worlds or this that or the other thing. And let’s admit it- We love to nitpick. And it’s a good thing, because Hollywood today is full of the dumbest, least creative, worthless writers and hack scum that ever seized power in a medium.

Prometheus, as a 2012 film, has dumb parts. David touched everything. Characters acted for plot rather than character. People take their helmets off. People do things they don’t know they need to do. Etc. I won’t go into all of them because they’ve already flooded the net. After watching any good Star Trek episode 50 times, I tend not to notice Data’s cat changing species between shots. I notice Data’s Asimovian brilliance as a being. In Prometheus, I admired David’s Data-like innocence and inhuman, yet utterly human distance form the events before him. His views on his own god. His brief chat with HAL9000 at the beginning. The spectacular effects work on his severed head. The 3D conversion of Lawrence of Arabia, which I’d see in theaters and the way the business is going, probably will before 2020.

The thoughts about the relationship between gods and their progeny are well done beyond measure. The questions asked, why did they decide not to use us for test subjects after all, why was the Engineer so upset when awakened (Might have just answered my own question there, if some old dude and his robot and a religious chick woke me from my eternal slumber to ask for pills and the secrets of the universe, I’d slap the fuckers silly too).

Idris Elba and Charlize Theron delivered a sort of performance you don’t see often today. They don’t have the stage presence of Fassbender, one of the very few actors in his generation who does, but they have the knack of exposing their character through lines that shouldn’t logically let them do so. Subtext abounds. Rapace exemplifies an archetype of scientist, a sort of woman and a sort of thinker who works in a manner too complex to type, but is clearly described by her expressions in every frame. The side characters have life to them, even if it’s nothing more than an accent and a look of concern. The film is very well cast, And it hurts when they die. Not as much as Alien or Predator, but far more than any thriller since.

The twist with Weyland was damn cool. Why had David acted as he has, why would a trillionaire spend his money on such an endeavor, why has everything happened the way it’s happened? Because of the human lust for immortality. The base will of an old man who will pay any price to survive. In the context of scientific hopes and religious yearnings, Weyland comes out as a nasty old clog in the system, and is himself one of the more impressive creature effects of the film (Though his makeup looked great on the ship, it didn’t look so good in the hologram). His daughter’s reveal was meaningless and expected, didn’t object to it, didn’t love it. Wish people said “Dad” in movies more. Father is weightier but who call’s their father “Father”?

I wish he had more than a head injury to go out on. Prometheus stole from the gods and get his liver eaten daily. Weyland, the true Prometheus of this film, got slapped by Zeus before he got his hands on the flame and died. Perhaps I’m just a sadist, but in a movie called Prometheus I want to see some titan punishment meted out. I wanted liver for dessert.

I’d have liked more from the Engineer, but I realize the point is he yields nothing. Still, for god to just slap and behead people then fly away is a bit thin. This is a genius, not a movie monster. Yet it acts as a movie monster. Similarly, with the film firmly placing itself in the Alien world, I’m disappointed it didn’t go full prequel. Had he been deep throated and then boarded another ship and left, Alien would have been set up perfectly. Flawlessly. But they didn’t want to go full prequel, and in doing so denied a most poetic ending in favor of reboot potential. Which they’d still have with Lisbeth flying off into the sunset, but instead we got a disjointed cameo from a too-familiar beastie in the wrong place. Not that I was sad to see it-

The fact is, the Aliens are the reason I love this series. Ripley’s a good character. The Marines are awesome. Every film in the universe has its merits, but I’d be lying if I said I was in it for anything more than I was for the greatest creature design in history. I saw Prometheus for more than creatures and I got more than creatures out of it. But I anticipated it beyond all other films of the last ten years because Ridley Scott and H.R. Giger were making monsters again. To be clear, Giger only contributed a couple neat murals to this one. His output today is nothing like it was when Alien was made, I don’t believe he’s picked up an airbrush in decades.

But to step into Giger’s shoes is the dream of any creature designer, and many have done us proud. Cameron’s design for the Queen Alien is brilliant. Stan Winston and ADI grew up making the variants seen in the franchise. Taking off the dome, putting the dome back on, sharpening the tail, breaking the ankles, shifting the back tubes, evolving the toothy throat and sinking it into new horrific wounds. Prometheus shows us the Engineers unmasked. The genesis of several new creatures. It’s the most extensive look to date into the machinations we only saw teased in the original Alien film. And as the IMAX screen burst forth with state of the art perfectly filmed eye candy:

The creature design was the film’s most disappointing aspect. Not the Giger designs of course, seeing those again is the absolute highlight. The film even has an homage to some of his work for Jodorowsky’s Dune, which is watered down from his vision but still haunting.

The new creatures however, are the plainest, dullest crap I’ve seen in recent years. The Engineers, being human by plot necessity, aren’t too much of a problem. Their skin and eyes and size and suits are all well and good. I’d objected to Scott’s mention early in the production that the Space Jockey was a man in a suit. I still do to some degree as notion of a pilot grown into his ship was one of Alien’s great concepts. But this movie had another concept in mind and so I could accept that.

But the worms. Smooth plain white worms. Not translucent enough to merit interest. Not detailed or new enough to make them interesting. Not scary enough in form or concept to be viscerally frightening or disturbing. Plain worms with subtle genital connotations ala Dreamcatcher, but not on par with Giger’s perversity or sexuality or even McCreery’s blunt audacity. Freud works for any worm entering an orifice. Consider Giger’s worm designs for Species and unused wyrm designs for Reign of Fire. He can make a worm sickening beyond how sickening worms are. Prometheus worms were white and had flaps.

A man becomes a monster. Once infected, the human to beast transformation can go a thousand ways, some of them dull, some of them brilliant. Sadly, this one is dull as dirt. He gets lumpy and blotchy. The plainest possible thing you can turn a guy into. The potential here is so fully wasted I can’t even point to where they should have gone. He just turned gross and mean B-Movie style with no attempt at design or artistry. Pathetic.

He and the worms were side stories though, just side effects of the black goo that the writers seemed to have stolen from X-Files. I suppose that and the vase design are also lost opportunities. But I’d forgive all that if the film had something new and amazing for the main course.

The extraction surgery didn’t hit me as particularly effective as body horror but I’m in the jaded minority there, the audience squirmed like mad. I’ll rank the sequence as good horror. But the thing that gets pulled out, the big reveal- A squid. A 4 tentacled plain white squid. No, obviously this couldn’t have appeared then and there as a face hugger. The realization of what it is, though not rewarding to othrodox students of the previously established life cycle, was a great moment. So it can’t be a face hugger, but how sad is it that it’s a completely uncreative, uninteresting, unfrightening, unsickening design. In both birth and adulthood, it’s nothing we haven’t seen a billion times before. Tentacles, teeth and slime. Not sure why it had teeth.

The original facehugger and chestburster were innovative in their specificity. The facehugger had fingers. With fingernails. Joints. Lungs. It was plausible as life but shocking in its inhumanity, unearthliness. Grotesquerie. You didn’t want that damn thing on your face. The chestburster was sinister in its genesis from Bacon’s Figures at a Crucifixion. Giger’s designs were actually far sicker than the one in the film, but the one in Alien was iconic. In Prometheus, it’s a squid. It turns into a bigger squid, and turns the engineer into Jack Sparrow as a result. The creature designers should be ashamed, if any were even hired. It’s as if they bypassed artists and told the moldmakers to make tentacles, worms, pale guys with Giger suits and a bumpy dude. The opposite of the bold move to hire the sickest artist in Switzerland to make us afraid in 1979.

The squid is dull and useless, but the ultimate insult is the final shot. I’d have been happy if there were no Aliens in the film. I’d have been happy if there were. I won’t even comment in this section as to whether the last shot was a good or bad idea, but because it is in the movie, only as to the design: It was Gary Larson’s Far Side spoof of Giger’s Alien. It was what a kid draws when someone describes what Giger’s Alien looks like. I know this because before I saw Alien, my Mom told me what the monster looked like and I drew, at age 10, what you see in the last shot of the movie. The pointy head, the detail-less frail body.

But at least I got the mouth right. The instant you see that yes, there’s a Xenomorph with a capital X in this movie, the one thing you want to see is the grand icon of horror, the inner mouth. Or something even sicker. Something to make this proto-Alien even more amazing. Nope, just a buck toothed upper jaw. The final shot of Prometheus is an insult to every surrealist artist alive, and as a damn good one myself, I hate whatever scumbags got the creature design job on this Holy Grail of creature films and botched it so spectacularly. f&#! you for squandering the chance we all dreamed of, to follow Giger himself. And I’m damn disappointed in Scott for allowing it, be it for thinking the creatures were cool, or even for thinking the slick simple look of them was warranted for a new aesthetic, in which case Giger’s work should not have been included to overshadow it.

Giger’s ship design is stunning. As surreal and as effective here in its inhumanity and perverse disfigured forms as it was in Alien. So why is there a flying saucer in the opening scene? Why, when we see a species defined by Giger’s twisted shapes later in the movie, are they flying in the plainest, least inventive cliched of all possible spaceships? The sound design and motion and epic 3D cinematography make the saucer an ominous presence, but it’s still a dang saucer. Had it been a derelict style ship or even better, a new twisted design, it would have been all the more ominous. It would have been astounding instead of disappointing.

Giger’s presence in the film serves only to show how great it could have been. Imagine if the domes were his designs from Alien. Or the real designs from Dune. The Harkonen castle design in Dune stabs you in the damn chest. It scares you. It hurts to look at, it’s offensive. Blasphemous! The rusted out shadows of the basic concept make this movie frightening. Imagine if they had the balls to do it for real. Imagine if they used Giger’s unused concepts for Alien here. Short of Giger’s- Mine.

I could have done better than a g*&^%$# squid. Forgive my immodesty but that’s not the boast of an armchair quarterback, I’ve spent 25 years as a surrealist artist. First in study, then emulation of Giger and Dali and Escher, then developing a sense of style all my own and finally putting it into films and paintings and more. Look at my Gallery and you’ll see the ships and creatures that should have made Prometheus frightening and intriguing and visionary. See what I can do, and lament the bastards of Hollywood who never looked at my portfolio before kicking me out. And if you find my claims are unwarranted, you hate my artwork, you love the damn squid, so be it. But you’ve read all the above, you might as well see what this artist thinks was so important.

Still, for all that could have been, we must focus on what is. A heavy dose of Giger in action. The ship, a bit different but flying. The telescope emerging from the floor. The walls. The murals. Giger is in this movie and that’s a thing to celebrate. It’s rare to see such vision in a modern film, and though this is basically the same material we saw already, it’s the instant highlight of the year just for dipping its feet into that font of dreams. It’s a reminder of the power of a true artist, a surrealist. It’s a testament to just how much Giger did for Alien. How important the Xenomorph design was to modern cinema, modern culture, and modern nightmares.

Seeing his genius alongside the other critters in Prometheus dulls them but helps one appreciate just how brightly that dark old star can shine. His leavings are the best imagery to grace cinema in the last 30 years. And Prometheus is where they live on, in 3D. So for all my anger and disdain, Prometheus remains one of the most amazing films to lick my eyeballs. I’ll see it again in theaters. I’ll buy it. I’ll watch it over and over. Debate its intricacies, its flaws, its merits. Hate it, love it, argue it, defame and idolize it. Scott gave us much to discuss, so let us praise and punish him! That’s what we geeks love to do, right?

Giving the audience what they want: It’s like stealing fire from the gods.
Posted 1 day ago
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:39 pm

http://krissycupcake.tumblr.com/post/24730270420/prometheus-opinions

Prometheus Opinions

Behind a cut because spoilers. You have been warned, read at your own risk.

Okay, so the movie starts out and I’m like f&#! YEAH, CINEMATOGRAPHY! It was beautiful! Like I just want this movie on blu-ray so I can just look at some of those shots. Then there was this humanoid-type-CGI-thing and it f#%@#&! drinks something and decomposes and you see some DNA dematerialize and I was like COOL, I HOPE THIS SUICIDAL HUMANOID IS EXPLAINED! and it isn’t, which really bothered me. It was honestly just to show that they now have CGI and can do fancy things with computers, tbh. I think that happened a few times in the movie. Honestly, there was more blood and guts in this one than I wanted there to be. It was more along the lines of Aliens in that sense than Alien, and I’m sure it’s because they’re trying to play it to a target audience, but idk, I had heard that it wasn’t going to be like that, so that was sort of annoying.
Don’t get me wrong, I love blood and guts as much as anyone, I just felt like some of it was unnecessary, you know?
Like when Holloway pops back up and just Hulks a bunch of guys and then they run him over, none of that was necessary. They also had it overlapping with a pretty f#%@#&! crucial scene, imo…the birth scene. First off, they definitely hit the emotions and chords they needed to hit for that whole thing. I think that was pretty well done. I just think it could have been accomplished by just showing the laser, the claw, Shaw screaming, and then the baby bursting, and then the staples and it would have been much more powerful than the whole CGI belly. It just looked so fake, it kind of took away from the thought that she was just cut open and had this alien removed from her f#%@#&! womb. I did like the staples, though. Especially cause then everything after you have that mental image that she was just stapled shut and she’s probably running a fever, and sick, and could possible die, and may be internally bleeding…and then I was wondering if she had a placenta.
The whole physiology of the aliens confuses the living s$#! out of me, tbh. For example, in ten hours the fetus had reached the equivalent of the first trimester, right? But when she’s getting the s$#! out, she completely removes her umbilical chord (and it just sort of stops) and then there is no after birth removed. Also, we see that the baby grows completely by the end, but there were no nutrients in that room. This happens with the hybrid we recognize as the alien from Alien, cause in that movie it f#%@#&! explodes from John Hurt’s stomach and then is fully developed by the end, again receiving no nutrients (that we know of) whatsoever. I told my friends I want like a documentary made where like Morgan Freeman narrates the life of the Alien and like there’s a whole explanation as to how they grow and work. I’m convinced they just breathe oxygen and grow, cause that seems to be the only logical way I can think of.
A lot of it was pretty predictable if you’ve either seen Alien…or just picked up on things. Like, I knew the second the Weyland video played and he says that David is like his son and Vickers makes a face that she was his daughter. Why else would she have a shag pad, let’s be honest. It was obvious Shaw was going to get pregnant. It was obvious that the pyramid was the ship, especially if you’ve seen Alien and recognize the shape—PENISES! There’s a huge phallic (no pun intended) theme in all of these, I mean men are getting skull-f&%$#&, and both David and Ash contain a milk-like substance that squirts out of them…we all know this, yes?
I feel like they never did really explain who sent out the distress signal that the crew in Alien receives, which is the whole reason they end up going there in the first place. Our guess was that there was a black box or something in the ship and when it crashed it went off, but took some time to hit them on Earth because of the distance. I still wish they would have made it clear, though. Especially because Shaw send out a message like “DON’T COME HERE, THERE’S ONLY DEATH, BYE” so if they got a distress signal, why not her message? Idk. These questions will probably keep me up at night. Also, why was that humanoid suicidal, and what was that ship that took off in the beginning? I’m assuming it’s the rest of the species returning to the colony to avoid contamination and death, but then does that mean they aborted the mission to attack Earth and wipe out the humans that they created? And if they did abort the mission, why was the one humanoid going to go attack it again when David and them woke him up? Did his miss the memo? SO MANY QUESTIONS!

Okay, now what I did like, cause I feel like it sounds like I’m shitting all over this movie, but I swear I actually did like it! Okay, well Noomi was actually perfect. I think the cast in general was really good, but she was greatttt. As was Michael Fassbender, even if he did pull a C3P0. It was actually really well done, even with it’s CGI, there are some incredible scenes/shots. They did make some interesting connections and it was cool to see how the aliens—the ones we know—came to be, and also how that whole this has all happened before, and this will all happen again mantra is always present. Again, how that thing sustained life is beyond me, because I’m pretty sure there’s nothing there to supplement him other than oxygen, but okay, I guess they don’t need any nutrients at all.

Okay, it’s almost 1.30am, so I should probably just end this here. Overall it was well done, but I wasn’t as impressed as I hoped I would be. I guess I have too many questions to feel satisfied, you know? If anyone can answer any of those and help me out, that would be great. I’ve been up since 6am, so it’s quite possible I missed something that I’m confused about. So yeah. Krissy out. Night.

1 day ago · 2 notes
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:40 pm

bearbaire:

Prometheus (2012)

Director: Ridley Scott

Cast: Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron, Idris Elba

Ridley Scott’s return to Sci-Fi and the Alien franchise he started 33 years ago frightens, enlightens, and puts you under a spell.

I don’t do these reviews nearly as often as I’d like, but when I actually do, you can rest assured I loved the darned thing. Prometheus is that rare summer blockbuster that challenges you to think, but the truly unique thing about Scott’s quasi-Alien prequel is that its script, penned by John Spaihts & Damon (LOST) Lindelof poses some of life’s grandest questions and has the good sense to realize it could never possibly know the answer, because it is, in fact, simply a movie. Rather, it gives you some food for thought; perhaps raising some questions you never thought you wanted to know the answer to.

These philosophical ambitions take a back seat to Alien tie-ins in the last 15 minutes or so. The last shot of the film in particular is so infuriatingly Alien related and out of place, meant merely for sequel set-up. “Cool, but tacked on” a friend put it to me, and I couldn’t explain it any better. I view no other purpose for it as it is in no way essential to the rest of the story. But as I said before, this is an Alien prequel, and Alien is one of the biggest horror franchises of all time, so I can’t dock it too many points for building on the mythology. It’s just a shame that this could have been a splendid movie in its own right without bludgeoning me with Alien connections.

The horror elements of this sci-fi tale are in true spirit of Ridley’s Alien as far as tone and themes are concerned, only now he’s found clever ways to up the stakes. With Alien, the Xenomorphs that are the film’s main antagonists are phallic shaped and and penetrate the body laying eggs to be hatched via the host’s chest. If you’re unfamiliar with this franchise, perhaps you’ve at least heard the term “chest-burster”. It is exactly as uncomfortable looking as it sounds. In this film, Scott keeps tradition with creatures other than the Xenomorphs, but some still very phallic shaped monsters (one in particular that, in all honesty, looks like a p**** with a mouth) that still do a lot of penetrating. What Scott is doing very successfully in his attempt to frighten us is provide the audience with an ultra-disgusting visual metaphor for rape, both male and female, and although Alien did this to great effect, Prometheus finds some nastier ways to shock you in my opinion.

As for the cast, I shouldn’t have to tell you that the lead players in this movie are at the top of their game. Charlize Theron provides a typically convincing performance as the Prometheus crew’s no nonsense boss, but Rapace and Fassbender stood out the most for me. Such a wondrous thing for Scott to keep the tradition of a strong female lead as he did with Sigourney Weaver in Alien.

Finally, my favorite thing about the film is the visual spectacle. I should admit, I am disappointed this is the case, (I wanted the philosophical insight to be more awe-inspiring than the visuals) but the nonetheless, Scott and his camera crew have delivered some of the most gratifyingly grandeur images these eyes have ever seen. The word “epic” comes to mind, but I feel that term is used often to describe many things that may be cool, but are not quite epic. These images are arresting when you are in the theater and completely haunting after you’ve left. I’m still processing it all.

I saw this film in IMAX 3D and payed 17 dollars for a ticket. I don’t feel that I wasted a single penny, but let’s hope Prometheus’ sequel will allow itself to more naturally flow into the world of Alien.

A-
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:41 pm

groovychainsaws:
"Prometheus", you guys.

Like, I really do want to love this movie. I do.

But.

BUT.

I did the unspeakable evil of raising my expectations because I enjoyed “Alien” so much, so of course I set myself up for disappointment. Don’t get me wrong, though. Although Prometheus isn’t what I expected, it’s not really bad. The primary difference between the two is that “Alien” relied on a lot of very tense moments, chilling atmosphere, and created a heavy sense of dread. “Prometheus” is mostly a philosophical and drama-driven science fiction film set in the world of “Alien”, but doesn’t really focus on the aliens all that much. I don’t want to spoil a lot, but this movie would have been infinitely better if they explained, like, half of the content in the f#%@#&! movie. Seriously. There was so much put in there that had no conclusion or answer to it. Like, the first scene is some alien dude standing on a cliff as a spaceship flies away, and he drinks some dark ooze and f#%@#&! disintegrates and falls into a waterfall. And this is never explained or referred back to in any other part of the movie. I guess we’re supposed to glean that “dark ooze is bad” but when has any tar-like substance been a-ok to consume?

Anyway, go see it without trying to make connections to the original “Alien” movie because quite frankly I think “Prometheus” was made with the intention of just making people look at humanity a different way, not to scare the pants off of them. It wasn’t set up to really connect with the other films at all.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:41 pm

swagtasticreviews:
Prometheus

Prometheus has landed.

Finally. Is there any better feeling than when you’re greatly anticipating a movie and it blows away all your expectations? Avengers and Ghost Protocol both did that for me. Now comes Prometheus. A quasi/pseudo-prequel to the Alien series. Calling it a direct prequel isn’t right because it does take place before Alien, it is its own movie and you don’t need to see Alien to enjoy it.

Prometheus brings up a series of questions that we have no answers to. Where did we come from? What created us? Why? What happens when we die? Somehow in its attempt to answer these, it created more questions and riddles. Oh god I loved it.

The idea for the movie came from the scene in Alien when John Hurt is on LV-426 andd goes into the giant spaceship and finds that giant body thing sitting in that chair. It has a hole in its chest and has been dead for sometime. This creature is what we nerds call the Space Jockey. Who was he? What was ha doing? Are there more of him? Boom. In steps Prometheus. Here the Space Jockey is called an Engineer and there are…well, see the movie.

The story here is absolutely wonderful. It answers questions you never knew you had. I was captivated the entire time. The only thing that could have deterred me attention was if the guy next to me had a seizure and they had to pause the movie. Man, how much would that have sucked? Also, during a part with this awesome star map, a guy near me had a seizure and I couldn’t pay attention to the movie because I wanted to make sure he was all right. I got up to help them for a minute too.

The movie really does take you to another world. The effects are dazzling and the 3D was incredibly well done. I’m pretty ‘meh’ over 3D. I can take it or leave it, but when it’s good, I’m impressed. The movie is…haunting. I think that is a correct word for this. The landscape, the aliens, the score, David. It’s bleak and scary and the movie is intense as all hell. I jumped several times. It has some wicked crazy parts that may you wanna turn away, but you just can’t. It’s incredible.

The acting was top notch. Noomi Rapace will no longer be “the original Girl with the Dragon Tattoo”. She’ll be known as Elizabeth Shaw, that girl from Prometheus. Because no one wants to pronounce her name. She was great. Other major/minor characters were really well done too. A couple of relatively unknown guys has big roles. Like the 2 guys who get lost and Shaw’s boyfriend, played by Logan Marshall-Green.. Idris Elba plays the ships captain Janek. i really like him and wanted to know more. Charlize Theron played herself, but as a stuck up business head with her own agenda. More then anything else it needs to be talked about how amazing Michael Fassbender was as the android/synthetic/artificial person David. He could not have been more perfect. He was creepy and awesome and articulate and channeled his inner Lawrence of Arabia.

What I’m going for here is that Prometheus was incredible. In fact that doesn’t cover it, but it’ll have to do for now. The movie doesn’t pretend to have all the answers to all the questions it raises. You have to think yourself. It’s one of the best hardcore Sci-fi movies I’ve seen in a long time. I believe this movie will stand the test of time and become a classic. In space no one can hear how awesome this is, but on Earth everyone can see this 9/10.

I also got a free t-shirt. Awesome right?
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:42 pm

thebric:
Just got back from Prometheus

Aside from the ridiculous negligence for scientific reasoning and behavior, I’d say I enjoyed it.

I know as a hollywood film, and somewhat of a summer blockbuster I am expected to suspend my belief to some degree but considering the film was going for some degree of hard sci fi I don’t think I should have to. As THE team selected to go to a planet that very well may have the life responsible for creating life on our planet, or at least us, you would imagine that they would be some of the best. That usually entails (and this is common amongst all levels of scientific merit) to interact with a new alien species/environment with f#%@#&! caution and study and analysis to make sure with near 100% certainty that this thing is f#%@#&! safe. But it’s not, so I guess if they did that there wouldn’t be a movie, or they’re just to lazy to think around that obstacle but honestly, that would make it even better. Cause as it stands, salvation is within our control, it’s just a measure of our stupidity and how we control it (which is apparently not very well in the smartest community of people [i.e. scientists]) but think of it this way. If we did take the right precautions and it still found away to affect us, or attack us, it would be out of our control. Even our best failsafes couldn’t protect us, we would be helpless to this incredible alien force.

but that would require to much effort.

Other than that though, the film is beautiful, the score (while seeming somewhat out of place to me at first since I was expecting something different initially) was actually very appropriate and beautifully done, there were a couple of issues I did have with the story (outside of the scientific behavior) but they are few. The only really major, major wtf moment that didn’t make any sense at all that I cannot suspend my disbelief for at all was, and I guess this is a bit of a spoiler so I’ll italicize it so you can avoid.

Was when the mohawk dude, returned to the ship as whatever that spider shape he was doing, as some super mutant motherf@#$%!. But the thing is, he wasn’t infected, he was hit with f#%@#&! acid, he should have melted, not become super strong.

Anyway, it was still a pretty great movie, lots of awesome monster designs and effects, and I love ancient alien ideas. Set up a lot of things to be explained though, but I’m expecting this to be a new series based on the setup and the way they’ve talked about it.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:42 pm

doctorwhelp:

Re: Prometheus

(SPOILERS, BRAH)

I think the major criticism I’ve heard so far is that the film asks so many big, philosophical questions and then ultimately fails to answer them. While that’s certainly valid, I think considering the point the film is trying to make, you can’t expect to have those questions answered for you. One of the major themes is what you choose to believe. I mean, it’s said to us twice onscreen, by Shaw’s father and then Shaw herself. So this film is raising questions like: who made us? why do we exist? what is the meaning of life? etc. and even though Shaw is faced with the very beings who created mankind, she still puts the cross around her neck at the end before she and David head off to the beings’ planet because she maintains the beliefs of her religion despite everything she has seen. Her beliefs are a personal choice. So for the movie to then hand us the answers that the filmmakers believe in would be contrary to the film’s purpose, I think. The film is raising big questions and then leaving it up to the audience to answer them according to what they believe. I don’t think that’s bad writing or a cop out; it’s impossible to answer these questions factually, so it shouldn’t be expected of the film to give an answer. I just wanted to say that.

Also, can I just say that there were some very beautiful small moments in the film that really resonated with me. My personal favorite little thing was at the very end when Shaw put David’s head in the bag and said, “I’m sorry,” and he assured her that it was all right. Even though Shaw knows that David is a robot and is incapable of feeling true human emotion and therefore wouldn’t feel bad about his head being carried around in a duffel bag, she still apologizes to him as she would a human. And he fulfills his duty to make humans feel comfortable around him by telling her it’s fine, even though it probably makes no difference to him. I just thought that moment was so subtle and so human and I loved it a lot. What a good film.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:44 pm

http://fuzzehdeath.tumblr.com/post/24728181078/things-prometheus-made-me-realize

Things Prometheus made me realize

Kinda. Some of them I already knew.

Putting under a Read More for spoilers.

I am never having kids.
Nor am I having sex on an alien planet.
No one should ever give oral sex to an alien.
TENTACLES!
Never split up from the main group!
Michael Fassbender is hot even when his head is on one side of the room and his body on the other.
He can also be wonderfully sassy in this condition.
It’s hard to dislike someone when all you want to do is pet them and give them a hug.
People are assholes to robots a lot.
Don’t be an asshole to the robot! They can come in handy. Or kill you.
My sister and I will make bets over anything, i.e. if Shaw would have sex with headless robot David.
TENTACLES!
The blond always dies, assuming they were alive to begin with.
The old white guy is always the ‘bad guy’. In the case of more than one, they all did it.
Star Wars is always relevant.
The happier the credit music, the creepier the movie.
Kill it yourself or assume it’s still alive.
‘Alien chest sex’ is a phrase that will make everyone nearby go quiet, especially when yelled.
Spit is more disgusting than exploding heads.
Never run away when taking two steps to the left will get you out of harms way.
Alien spaceships weighing a metric fuckton are incapable of breaking oddly pointy rocks.
People named Shaw tend to give birth to bad things.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:44 pm

thirdruleoffightclub:
Mixed feelings about Prometheus:

This is really very odd for me, as I’m generally able to collect my exact feelings about a movie shortly after seeing it. As of right now, I’m not 100% certain how I feel about Prometheus, and will most likely have to really let it soak in for a while before deciding if I love it, or just like it. On one hand, I thought it was absolutely brilliant, but on the other, it wasn’t necessarily what I was expecting, and I feel slightly disappointed. Based on the marketing, trailers, and concept, I had built it up in my mind to be something that it ultimately wasn’t.

For one, as a sci-fi/horror film, a la Alien (which it functions as a loose prequel to), it isn’t particularly scary. To be fair, there were several scenes that were quite tense, and many that were very intense (as in, gross and gory) but it never fully achieved a consistent feeling of dread. While I did flinch repeatedly during a certain scene involving a med-pod, and I did cringe in anticipation of a jump-scare once or twice, there was never a moment where I was curled up into a little ball of fear in my seat, absolutely dreading the horrific implications of turning this corner or opening that door. I left the theater feeling very disturbed, but surprisingly, I found myself shaken more by the ideas the film presented, rather than the events that surrounded them.

Speaking of the ideas, there is never a concrete resolution given to any of them, mostly because the ending is the textbook definition of “sequel bait.” They’re very good, interesting ideas, and they help make the film seem deeper than it’s predecessor, but nearly every loose thread is left hanging by the time the credits roll. I couldn’t help feeling that what I was watching was the very good prequel to a much more interesting film. That film, by the way, is not Alien. This most definitely occurs within the same universe, and the events of this film precede the events of the other, but the connections between the two movies are largely insubstantial and relatively inconsequential. In fact, going into this movie expecting something similar to Alien will most likely result in you being disappointed; it’s better to go into this without any expectations. In all honesty, the fleeting connection between the two films is possibly the biggest source of my disappointment with the overall experience.

Besides all this, the visuals are absolutely stunning, the cinematography is great, the music can be sometimes distracting, and the acting is fantastic, particularly the strong performances of Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender. All in all, I’d say that if you have a stomach for the gore and a brain for the concepts, Prometheus is worth your time and money. It’s a very solid, well-made sci-fi/horror film, and it leaves you with something to think about and discuss with friends as you leave the theater. The ideas it presents will definitely linger in your mind long after the movie is over, although the lack of answers of any sort just might drive you crazy (until the inevitable sequel, that is).
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:45 pm

jasonact:
Some questions about Prometheus. What was going on?

On my last night in Abilene, I didn’t have anything better to do, so I decided to take in a movie. I wanted to find a movie that my family didn’t care to watch but that I was interested in, and Prometheus was the pick. (I ended up seeing the movie in 3-D, which I probably won’t do again. 3-D just seems distracting and not very effective. I’m finished with it.)

The movie delivered on being a big, sci-fi action thriller. It but I’m still bugged by a few questions about the plot that I’m hoping some of you out there can answer:

What was the deal with the opening scene? The “engineer” drank the metallic-oil liquid that appeared later in the movie, but why? And why did he fall into the waterfall? What planet was that supposed to be on? That whole scene was confusing.
Why did they make Guy Pearce look old to play Weyland? I thought that would be explained as something eccentric about his character, but it never really was. They just decided to use really bad old age prosthetics on him, and it didn’t really seem to have a good effect. What was the point? Why not just use an actual older actor for the role?
What the heck was that organic oil goo, and how do they relate to the bowling pin canisters? I thought they would explain what it was and why it was there, but they never really did. And how could it create that weird squid thing that Dr. Shaw gave birth to? (Nevermind the convoluted method of delivery through a single drop put into a glass of vodka drank by a man who had sex with Dr. Shaw, thereby “delivering” it to her cervix. And I’ll just ignore the major surgery she essentially performs on herself right before reengaging in the action at near full speed.) Janek indicates that the goo is a WMD that the engineers were trying to get away from. Does he know something, or is he speculating based on his fear?
What were those weird snake/squid things? They seemed to spontaneously generate from that organic goo, but that was never really explained. What were they, and where did they come from? Are they the engineers’ archenemies? And why are they birthed from humans/engineers like patricidal squid-babies?
How/Why did Fifield come back as that zombie-like creature? It seemed that the snake creature killed him pretty well. How/Why did he come back?
I’m also very curious about why the engineers wanted to destroy the human race. But Dr. Shaw obviously wants to know that too, so I let that one go, assuming it will be explored further in a sequel.

I know that sometimes we can overthinking a movie. It’s just a movie, and I should accept it within the world that it inhabits. But these questions seemed to be critical to the point of the film. Without some answers, the plot just seems sloppy and ill-conceived. I enjoyed the film, and it had some thrills, but can anyone out there provide some answers?
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top