Top News
WE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT MICHAEL-AN AWARD WINNING ACTOR

Congratulations to the cast and crew of "12 Years a Slave" winning an Oscar for Best Picture

Michael is currently filming "MacBeth"

Watch "12 Years A Slave" and "Frank" in theaters

Watch "The Counselor" and "12 Years A Slave" on DVD available now

Michael is set to star and produce on a film version of the video game "Assassin's Creed"

Completed projects: X-Men, Untitled Malik project

Upcoming projects Assassin's Creed, Prometheus 2, MacBeth,and more!

Header credit here

MFmultiply's Disclaimer

Order region 1 dvds-Amazon store

Order region 2-UK dvds-Amazon Shoppe

Please check the calender for films on TV, Theater, or dvd releases
July 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Prometheus previews and spoilers 3

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Prometheus previews and spoilers 3

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:07 pm

blurbculture:

Prometheus is everything I expected and more.

It’s a great prequel to Alien. As someone who hasn’t seen the original film, I think Prometheus does a great job of creating a completely separate experience, while still remaining loyal to the franchise existence. With what I suppose are classic Alien or Ridley Scott thriller moments, I think the film really functions well to re-imagine the origins of the continuing storyline.

As a sci-fi thriller, I suppose it really does take on a lot, and can be hard to keep up with. I think it introduces the very human aspect of origin of existence and the philosophy of creation, but does so in a capacity that can’t be really grasped with the story alone. There is a need for more clarification in the introduction. I mean I understand the messages found from the past and the intended signals of communication, but how does that equate with creation. It seemed like a reach to go straight from historical messages from an alien race to immediately form the assumption that they created the human race. This seemed like it could have been a unexpected revelation of the voyage, but would cause problems with the whole ‘meet your maker’ aspect to it.

Overall, I really enjoyed the questioning of existence, and the inclusion of faith. I especially thought the interaction between David the robot (Fassbender) and Charlie (Marshall-Green) was a significant moment of the film. Michael Fassbender and Chalize Theron were outstanding and created a dipolar relationship between their two characters, that was really motivated by each of their own personal objectives.

The film creates opportunity for the addition of a sequel to the already hefty 5-part franchise, but even if there wasn’t one I respect the ending’s perseverance in the questioning and need for discovery of the flaws in the human race.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Fassbenderfans
Blogspot: http://mfmultiply.blogspot.com/
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:08 pm

antonegoreview:
Prometheus

Directed by: Ridley Scott
Written by: Jon Spaihts & Damon Lindelof
Cast: Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron, Idris Alba, Guy Pearce, Logan Marshall-Green, and Patrick Wilson
Music by: Marc Streitenfeld

Ridley Scott’s return to science fiction and the Alien Universe begins with what seems to be an ode to Terrence Malick’s “Tree of Life”. Throughout beautiful and crisp landscape images of primordial Earth (or at least we assume it is Earth), the camera pans and stops on top of a waterfall as a giant spaceship hovers above it. We see a figure that looks like Dr. Doom in the scene where he encountered the Silver Surfer in Fantastic Four 2: Rise of the Silver Surfer. The being looks over at the giant ship as it begins to ascend and finally leaves. An expressionless face that looks very much human like and a well built body are revealed. From a mysterious box, the being, tastes a what seems to be forbidden fruit and suddenly he begins to break from within. His veins deteriorate as his muscles begin to break and parts of him turn to dust much like the way Lord Voldemort’s evaporation. He falls into the waterfall and as his giant body reaches the bottom of the water, turns into million pieces and seize to exist. As the camera zooms in his cells and skin we witness the birth of evolution and we glimpse our very own double helix DNA. The ultimate sacrifice perhaps? The beginning of it all maybe? Our creator probably? We are left to speculate as to who that being was and why it came here and the reasons that drove him to become the sparkle that ignited our fire.

Then Prometheus begins. With a wink to the writers of Alien VS Predator, the writers of Prometheus set their story on an archeological expedition that discover a star map that points to the stars. This is our only shot of Earth and the introduction of Dr. Elizabeth Shaw and her boyfriend Charlie Holloway (you may recognize him from “24” as the son of Senator Heller). The writer of Lost, Damon Lindelof, writes another Holloway and a lot of existential questions that fans of the show might find that derive from a similar path. A smile before the star map seals the scene and it turns to black.

The viral marketing has been superb, to say the least, and I recommend to step into the movie theatre after watching the following clips: TED 2023 (Peter Weyland’s speech), DAVID 8 (Michael Fassbender’s android character) and QUIET EYE (Elizabeth Shaw’s (Noomi Rapace) attempt to convince Weyland to fund her expedition - via Yutani -). After watching the clips you will be set to go fully informed aboard the Prometheus expedition.

Cut to a few years later from the scene on Earth. The technologically advanced ship “Prometheus” reaches the, well known to Alien fans, system of Zeta Reticuli (that actually exists) but this time it’s not the planet of Acheron LV-426 but instead its moon, LV-223. Question arise as to why the expedition peaked the moon instead of the giant planet. I guess Ridley didn’t want to go all the way into the Alien Universe. Inside the ship, although the scale is huge, larger than that of the Nostromo, bigger than the Sulaco, Scott decides to keep the white, sterilized atmosphere and set. Only this time the scale and the technology of it makes it clean cut and advanced compare to the rusty interiors of the Nostromo and the military rugged interiors of the Sulaco. However, this is neither a commercial towing spaceship nor a military craft. This is a scientific expedition that cost more than a trillion dollars and the set design of the ship exhibits how expensive it is. Scott and his art and set department managed to fill the space they were given and the interior of the Prometheus lucks no detail or imagination.

We are introduced to David 8 and to Michael Fassbender’s remarkable work. Yes, overall he seems to be the only actor with a character that the writers actually cared to work on but more about that later. Fassbender’s performance grabs you by the balls. (A)sh being a robot was a surprise, (B)ishop became as important almost as Ripley’s character to the fans and (C)all, well, she was a let down and a necessary insertion so we can have another android. (D)avid was the first, unless you count the wink of Andrea Bishop in the viral marketing. David was the first and his number (Cool is another wink of the writers to the fans of the Alien franchise. Prometheus is filled with easter eggs for the fans of the Alien franchise and no matter how hard you try, or how convincing Scott is, nevertheless you cannot remove yourself from comparing the original franchise with Prometheus. Unfortunately this is both a good as well as a bad thing. More on David. He is obsessed with Lawrence of Arabia and he is copying Peter O’ Toole’s accent and hair style. Fassbender is remarkable, however a robot and a very invasive one as we see him penetrate the dreams of Dr. Elizabeth Shaw. There, at the very beginning, you have your leading lady. You know that’s she is the one who will make it, apparently, and you know that you have high expectations because immediately you think of Ripley. But she is no Ripley, do not be fooled. Scott introduces the Faster Than Light journey and the cryopods that we’ve grown attached to over the Alien franchise. Where it would take 10 months for the Nostromo crew to reach Earth from LV-426, it took the Prometheus crew 2 years and few months. Scott forgets no detail big or small. After their journey ends and they reach their destination, David wakes up the crew who suffer shock from the hypersleep.

We are introduced to the crew of the ship. They are very much expandable and we know that from the beginning. Reason one, Alien and Weyland-Yutani did not refer to the expedition, neither did the rest of the movies that followed. Reason two, the writers, as well as Scott, didn’t dwell on the introspection of their characters, minus perhaps that of Meredith Vicker’s (Charlize Theron). We know that they will face a horrible demise and we are prepared not to care about them. I believe that if it was up to Scott he would simply shoot the movie with his David and the Engineers but alas he needed hosts and that’s what this crew is. The crew of Prometheus was there only to reach the planet and become hosts for this new adventure to begin.

Prometheus lands on the moon. Inside jokes and fast paced action but not action packed scenes take it from there. I kid you not, this is a huge set and the epic canvas that Scott promised you it would be. It makes Alien look tiny, it makes Aliens looks pretty decent, it makes Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection seem alright but Prometheus is incomparable in size and scale. We are talking about a big ass set and a huge planet that Scott masters with his direction and you wish you had a hundred eyes to absorb the visual stimuli. Then the crew enters what appears to be a round pyramid-like structure in search for our Engineers. Shaw dwells on the conflict she faces between science and faith, a task mastered by Dana Scully on The X Files, while the rest of the crew seem out of place. David seems to have an agenda of his own and suddenly we’re drawn into a very familiar image of a time past. The Space Jockey’s appear in a hologram and we are amazed at the conception of the world that Scott imagined. Nailed to our seat we’re trying to discover easter eggs and at the same time see what is happening. We care not for the crew or Shaw and Holloway’s discovery and personal questions but instead we are biting our time to see what is hiding in that structure, who are the Space Jockey’s and how it all came to this.

Scott brilliantly set the bar high with the opening of the movie. They made us to their own image. Now a giant (narcissistic attempt) structure appears before us in the form of a head that looks very much humane. A large bio-mechanical Easter island head seems to be watching over mysterious urn-like pods as our crew enters the room. It’s dark, it’s bleak, it’s moody and it’s claustrophobic even though it is a huge set. Before their (and ours) eyes we see raw biology, energy, material that exists in a primordial form that reminisce the alien black oil of The X-Files. That goo has essence, it has a life of its own and it is the beginning of it all. Contact with that material, that surfaces from the pods of the Engineers, not only is life but it can evolve life into a new biological entity.

Then all hell breaks loose. From then on, it all goes straight to hell as Scott takes us on a scary, thrilling, throat raping, action packed ride. Glued to the seat, nail biting most of the time, the audience awaits for the next raw and newly formed entity to attack the men who came with their audacity to steal the fire from the Gods. The countdown begins and the body count grows bigger. A surprise (that some might have figured out by now) guest, David’s real agenda, as well as Vicker’s and our first grande alien encounter arrive a little over the half course of the movie. Women will fringe to the sight of Shaw’s self C-section and fans will applaud as the predecessor of a famous facehugger is born.

The action continues as “the King” Peter Weyland begs for immortality, coveting to meet his makers and we finally reach the part where we’ve been waiting for 33 years. We meet the Space Jockey (but not the one we met in Alien). He is not what the crew expected to be and none of them was prepared for the “Gods” reaction. David, the “son” of “the King”, becomes the instrument that would lead to “the King’s” fall and to some of the most depressing lines in the history of the Alien Universe. As the Engineer enters his chair and his ship (similar to the derelict spaceship that we encountered in Alien) ascends, designed to reach Earth, carrying the bio material, Shaw, (in the same way she chooses to believe in faith, she chooses to become the reluctant hero and give in to her fate) sets out to stop him and save us all.

The end is near. We are ready however for one last scare. The ancestor of the facehugger has to deliver the seed and show us what we’ve known all along (and been waiting to see). The remaining protagonists join forces to escape and Scott opens the door for an entirely new franchise that can either drift further away from his Alien Universe or walk side by side. Shaw’s question troubled us and her alliance with David is the go point and the stuff star journeys are made of. As another ship carrying the survivors sets out for more stellar trips and perhaps a visit to the Engineers planet, we are left to wonder and to crave for more. Questions arose and Scott failed to answer the greatest of them all. But the movie is not finished yet. Back in the vessel, where the ancestor of a facehugger lies dead, the Engineer begins convulsing and suddenly a familiar birth takes place before us. From the bio mechanic entity (the Engineer) something new is born that resembles a xenomorph queen. The camera zooms into it’s terrifying jaw as the newborn screams so anyone in space can hear it’s celebration for being born.

Maybe the other Engineers saw in that a bio weapon to use against their enemies or against us. After all “in order to create something you have to destroy it first”. Maybe that queen gave birth to the eggs that infected another Engineer that crash landed on LV-426. Maybe a weapon that was engineered against us found it’s way back into our lives. Maybe…

We will never know for sure. If Prometheus is successful, Scott will revisit this Universe and Shaw and David will take it from there. If not, this has been one great reboot of a genre much loved. David says that, “big things have small beginnings” and perhaps this is the best way to describe Prometheus. Yes, it is huge, scale wise. Yes, it is bigger than life, on terms of expectation and anticipation. Yes, it is a vast thrilling ride to a Universe we’ve missed. Nevertheless, it is the small beginning to one of the greatest franchises ever to have graced the silver screen.

Enter the movie theatre knowing that you have seen Alien but do not expect to see a new Alien movie because Prometheus it is not that. It is a lot of things, even a prequel of some sort, but it is not an Alien movie. It just takes place in the Alien Universe and now, it has a life of its own.

Looking forward to the next chapter of this brilliant, new, saga.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:08 pm

redcigar:
Non-Spoilery Responses to 'Prometheus'

I think, overall, the philosophical/religious sentiment was too heavy-handed. The movie is called ‘Prometheus’ people, we know where this is going.
GDI everything Michael Fassbender does is flawless. I tried to go in there unbiased but just, damn.
I was oddly disappointed, I think? I think there was too much of a slow set-up with not enough character development, and then the action at the end was rushed and confusing with little explanation as to motivations or reasoning.
If we were meant to dislike Theron’s character then I must be doing something wrong, everything she did made perfect sense to me?
Did anyone else think some of the dialogue was muffled, or it looked as though it were dubbed? Certain instances where Michael or the pilot were talking, for example.
FINALLY a movie makes good use of “oh, there’s something suspicious in that direction and they want us to investigate it?…. well f&#! THOSE GUYS.”
Also: HOW’S THAT FOR AN EMERGENCY PROCEDURE, AHA, WOW
Amy does not want to see this movie

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:09 pm

jwan584:
Thoughts on Prometheus

The script for Prometheus was written twice. The first draft was considered too close to the original Alien universe. Ridley Scott didn’t want to rehash the same story. He wanted to explore bigger ideas, ask bigger questions. And thus a second draft was produced that distanced Prometheus from the Alien universe, a draft that could facilitate for a sequel that’s not the first Alien film.

All this I was surprised to learn from Wikipedia, as when I walked out of the theatre tonight, my chief disappointment was that I had seen this film before. This was Alien in posh clothing.

If one were to draw a Venn diagram of Alien and Prometheus, one would find at their intersection a crew on a secret mission, an android with a hidden agenda, an exposition of an alien craft, attacks by alien creatures, crew dying painful deaths, a female survivor, a final battle onboard the lifeboat, and a signoff message to mankind. Prometheus may ask bigger question and play with bigger stakes, but the fundamental mechanics of the story remain firmly rooted in the Alien tradition.

What made Alien so great was its sheer originality and its carefully orchestrated delivery. It was a small film, shot with a limited budget, and great effort was made to make what little material there was appear bigger.

The story was told slowly. Each exposition was carefully delivered. Every scene was savored. The first time we counter the alien spacecraft, we truly felt like we are seeing something from another world. There was a sense of boundless mystery. The world was dark and smoky, and in that fog, our minds filled in the blanks.

In Prometheus, everything is clear. There is a large budget and many fantastic shots. The spaces are open and airy. We are momentarily held in awe, but since we see all there is to see, we are not captivated and our minds are not left to wonder.

Prometheus lacks patience. It seems to be in such a rush to get to the third act that it doesn’t stop to savor the first. After a space trip spanning years if not decades and landing on a rare earth-like moon, the crew barely takes a moment to look around. They don’t bother to dig their fists into the earth or soak in the environment. Instead, they jump into buggies and race toward an Alien structure with the same nonchalance as perhaps a freshly landed AC-130 crew arriving at Bagram Airfield base in Afghanistan. Does no one feel awe and wonder in the future? Or are those feelings not interesting or fashionable since they were fully explored in Alien?

The score in Alien is pure soundscape. It builds in layers and layers like dripping Alien goo and explodes in chest busting dissonance. Like the visuals that it accompanies, it feels like nothing of this world.

The opening score of Prometheus is linear and obvious. Instead of painting something new, it simply says: “this is the dawn of something big, okay?” It embarrasses itself and kills the viewer’s imagination. The percussion theme feels heavily derived from Zimmer. The best segments are rehashes of the original Alien score by Goldsmith.

None of this is to say Prometheus is a bad film. It isn’t. But it isn’t a great film. I don’t get a yearning to watch it again. But I would gladly watch Alien, Aliens, or even Alien 3 again. Why? Because they feel authentic. They feel unstrained and unlabored by existing material. They feel spontaneous; the script could go anywhere since there was no fixed destination. Prometheus, despite the best effort of Ridley Scott, is a replay of what exists rather than the creation of something bigger or new.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:09 pm

soisjeuneettaistoi:
Prometheus review: In 25 words or less

Superbly acted, visually sleek, hauntingly atmospheric companion to Aliens. Not for those who seek plot/character development or philosophical enlightenment. One watches for the sci-fi scares.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:10 pm

spontaneousramblings:

There is a scene in the middle of the film involving Noomi Rapace where she uses an automated emergency surgery machine to save her life that really gives meaning to the word ‘intense’. It is an absolutely exhilarating and stunning set piece; one of the most perfectly vicious and perfectly delivered pieces of terror I’ve watched in a while. She delivers the emotional and physical torment of Elizabeth Shaw, as she discovers that her quest for the answer to human existence has only led to the reawakening of humanity’s end.

Prometheus is a visually striking film. Everything about Arthur Max’s set design is stunning; the Prometheus spacecraft to an entire subterranean world complete with a Mayan temple like chamber that houses a large eerie statue of a human head. The same can be said for the visual effects of the film; the epic vistas of the rugged planet are breathtaking. All of this is portrayed in glorious 3D, demonstrating once again how this new format can be exploited to its full potential at the hands of filmmakers at the top of their craft. Ridley Scott impresses as a visual storyteller, synthesising the cinematography, art direction and visual effects into one seamless and visually astounding whole.

Apart from the incredible visuals, I think what really carries this film is Michael Fassbender and Charlize Theron (note: jesus this guy is in everything I’ve been watching recently). Fassbender plays the role of David, an android programmed with a crazy and creepy mix of good and bad. It is a difficult role – he has to play an android learning about humans and how to relate to them. He is thrilling and terrifying to watch. Theron commits herself completely to the role as usual and it really shows; scenes of Meredith Vickers staring and shouting the crew down thrilled me.

All this said, I had some issues with this film. The beginning of the film is a bit awkward, stumbling about as it tries to set up plot points for the story; it starts to veer onto ridiculousness near the end; there are a number of holes in the plot; and many of the 17 crew members are merely cannon fodder; but the bottom line is that Prometheus is a hugely satisfying experience, a grand and ambitious project where you really feel the immense scale of Scott’s vision. This is one that really needs to be seen in the theatres, in 3D.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:11 pm

http://redcigar.tumblr.com/post/24675019058/spoilery-responses-to-prometheus

SPOILERY RESPONSES TO ‘PROMETHEUS’

Were we meant to believe that Alien Race 1 was trying to duplicate their own race in humankind, which is the reason for wanting to wipe them out and therefore the reason for David testing/planting the liquid on Science Guy (and thereby turning him into a duplicate of Alien Race 1 and thereby, violent)
If so, who’s genius f#%@#&! idea was it to wipe out a potentially unstable race (“Doesn’t every child want to kill their parents?”) by developing an EVEN MORE UNCONTROLLABLE SPECIES
Was Alien Race 2 a by product of their attempts at developing duplicates (Alien Guy 1 at beginning drinking the liquid and dying, breaking down his DNA, maggots in liquid following Science Guy after being contaminated etc) which was later turned into a biological weapon?
WHAT WAS THE POINT OF DAVID CONTAMINATING SCIENCE GUY? Clearly all the old guy wanted was to meet an Alien Dude and learn the Secret To Not Dying, there was never any mention of doing anything else with the species. ALSO,
DID DAVID INTENTIONALLY WANT SCIENCE GIRL 1 TO GET KNOCKED UP? Which is why he mentions how surprisingly resilient she is after the most f&#! OFF WHAT Self-Imposed Caesarian From Hell? Or was it just a happy coincidence?
Charlise’s character had too little exposition and too much importance placed on her. Maybe there were just too many characters and too little screentime had by all.
HOW DID DECONTAMINATED BABY FOETUS TURN INTO GIANT GENITAL MONSTER FROM HELL? Is it because it was the first Alien Race 2 to interact with a human/human womb? HOW THEN DID IT GROW TO SIZE X200000000
What
Also:
What.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:12 pm

http://janellalysse.blogspot.com/2012/06/love-note.html

Friday, June 8, 2012
A Love Note.

Listen while you read Smile

Little children often stay up late on Christmas Eve to stare and drool over neatly wrapped boxes of surprise and joy. I know that as a child, it was one of my most favorite things to do during the holiday season; stare in awe of these gifts sitting so effortlessly beneath the Christmas tree. Now you might be thinking, it's almost summer, why are you talking about Christmas? You're wrong. It is Christmas and I am still sitting in awe at the present that was just given to me: Prometheus.

I don't wanna seem over dramatic, but I literally have been waiting for this movie for nearly two years. When the rumors began to arise that Ridley Scott was going to be making another Alien movie, I wasn't too sure I liked the idea of yet another sequel.
"Think of something creative Ridley!" I thought to myself when reading on different sites of the rumors. How dare I ever question the man that gave us Alien, Blade Runner and one of my all time favorites: Matchstick Men.
I obviously have never met the man and do not know what goes on inside his brilliant head. To be quite honest, I wasn't really familiar with any of his work or history until I began researching the possibility of this rumored "Alien's Sequel." At the same time, I just so happened to be in a production class that used the special features from Matchstick Men to teach us the correct way to go about making a film. Coincidence that my film school was using Ridley Scott as the shiny example we all are now to hold ourselves up to? I think not. It was the special features from Matchstick Men that sparked my interest, in Ridley, even more. I decided, if my professors "back" him, then I should probably do all I can to learn about him; and I did. I'm not going to give you a history lesson on the man, because you should do that for yourself. All you need to know is what I learned about him: he is a true storyteller.
He isn't interested in showing his audience anything but the truth. Just try to watch any one of his movies without feeling completely and totally "human." I don't know how he does it, but somehow the man has figured out a way to get inside your brain, your heart, your soul and make you feel. Ridley Scott, if I ever meet you, I don't think there is anything I could ever say to thank you. Thank you for believing in telling stories, and for inspiring so many people to strive to do it as well as you do.

~-~-~-~-~-~
In case you were wondering, Prometheus turns out to not be an Alien sequel, but a "Prequel." I'm not so sure that it's exactly a prequel, but it definitely is closely related to the story and connects in a big way. If you have questions about the movie Alien, you won't find all the answers, but you will definitely get huge hints from watching Prometheus. The movie to me, can stand all on it's own and if anyone dares try to make a sequel to it, I'll personally hunt them down and do whatever I can to convince them that it will be the biggest mistake of their lives to try to do so.

What can I say about the movie, without sounding like a total obnoxious "film student?" At this point in my learning, I don't think that anyone can handle me talking about movies. I know I probably sound annoying and "fake," but my passion for film seriously knows no bounds and the only way to talk about it IS to sound cheesy. Super cheesy with extra cheese. I love movies and that is most simple way to put it. I love this movie, it was beautiful, complex and bigger than life.

"Serious eye candy," would be my one liner for a review. That does not satisfy at all how I feel about it, but it's a start. Forget about Avatar! Prometheus blew my eyes out of their sockets. The beginning establishing shots alone were enough to nearly evoke tears. I'm not ashamed for admitting that. This movie was everything and more I expect out of movies. It was smart, funny, and dark. Ok, so now you know that it was visually pleasing but it was emotionally heart wrenching also. Damon Lindelof, who created LOST wrote the script for this puppy and boy was it the right man for the right job. With the exception of a few questionable one liners, the script held the story tight in its grasp.
I can't speak more highly of this movie. From the costumes, to the immaculate sets, this movie was pure genius. If you don't like this movie, I might have to feed soap to you because Prometheus is what every filmmaker wishes his or her movie was like. If you're not into Sci-Fi, that's ok because the characters will take you away into this futuristic dream land that you wish existed. This movie made my heart skip a beat in anticipation that one day I might be involved with something as amazing as this piece of juicy goodness.
Posted by Janell Boone at 4:10 AM

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:12 pm

otpblackholemagnetar:
Just saw Prometheus!! Non-spoilery review:
Special effects — WOW

Scenery — WOW

Nerd!gasm stuff — WOW

The 3D works surprisingly well (I normally loathe it). Scott uses it very judiciously to create a sense of sweeping scale without making things appear gimmicky and pop-out.

Scott does a good job of raising and exploring Big Issues (who we are, where we came from, what makes us “us”) imo but refrains from offering many resolutions — which is a good thing for me. I don’t like it when movies offer simplistic, definitive answers to Big Questions — the whole reason we search for those answers is because they’re not simple, and may end up being different for each of us.

In tone/genre, I’d say it was somewhere between Blade Runner and Alien — there was exploration of Big Issues and character development, but also a definite horror movie vibe at times. Like in Alien, Scott’s use of the unseen and unknown is incredibly effective at building a tense atmosphere with a creeping sense of doom and terror.

The acting is very good; most of the characters feel pretty complex. I can’t comment on individual story arcs without giving away spoilers, but I will say that Michael Fassbender does a phenomenal job of swinging between “could be human” and “not just skirting the Uncanny Valley but setting up camp and cooking some s’mores there.” There are also many great parallels drawn between the humans’ search for and attitudes toward their creators and David’s opinions of his.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:13 pm

nargles4life:

I’m really not sure what to think about this movie. I mean, I liked it, I definitely liked it, but I feel I need to sit on it for a bit before I can decide how much I liked it. There is quite a bit to take in, a lot of things to think about. Not to mention I’m sure many metaphorical things throughout the movie connecting it to the story of Prometheus. There are a lot of questions that can be answered very easily that I would actually like to think much more deeply about as opposed to just getting the simple answer. I’ll say this though, it was a good movie. The acting was good, but Fassbender was phenomenal. So was Theron. They were both great. Fassbender’s character David also had some of the greatest lines I’ve ever heard in film, although I can’t remember the exact quotes (I wish I did). The directing was obviously phenomenal, it looked gorgeous. I feel like the ending was really rushed and that the “Proto____” was tacked on, but I still enjoyed it. I’ll recommend it to everyone and right now I’ll give it an 8/10.

PS- I loveloveloved the theme to this film. I felt that it perfectly captured that “innocent”-esque curiosity that is very much prevelant throughout the film.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:14 pm

http://jawndough.tumblr.com/post/24672748289/i-have-a-couple-theories-about-prometheus-actually

June. 08. 2012. 04:05 am 2 notes
I have a couple theories about Prometheus actually.

I’m almost positive Charlize Theron’s character was an android after all. She referred to Weyland as her “father”. And at the beginning of the film, he said David was “the closest thing he’d ever had to a son”. Plus, why would they bring an A-list celebrity like Charlize onto a film like this and kill her off when it CLEARLY was made with the intention of doing a sequel? Amirite or amirite? AND she was always so determined to carry out Weyland’s mission. Not Shaw’s. And so was David. Because they were probably both programmed that way by Weyland himself. Yet she clearly was a more advanced and organic android since she slept with the rest of the crew while David sat around and dyed his roots and watched movies and dug around in everyone’s heads. And she was able to have sex, also. AND she was able to show/imitate emotion more clearly than David. It would totally leave room for more questions in the sequel about our souls and our humanity and how the relationship between the engineers and humans differs from the relationship between humans and androids. NOOMI VS. THE ANDROIDS. AHHHHHH.
There was so much symbolism about ‘makers’ and ‘mothers’ and how Shaw couldn’t bear children. I think the reason she was so driven to find the Engineers was because of her infertility.

Okay bye.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:16 pm

http://fanfoolishness.tumblr.com/post/24671352062/s$#!-just-got-real-or-prometheus

s$#! just got real (or, Prometheus)

fda

Oh snap son! If you like Alien at all (or Michael Fassbender!), you should check it out.

Big big spoilers!

David is definitely my favorite android of the Alien series. However, Ash, Bishop, and Call (A, B, C, D, see that there?) are all still excellent Autons.

Dr. Elizabeth Shaw is more unwilling than Ripley in the first film to take control, but as a fellow scientist, I know that isn’t easy. Overall her character shows a lot of promise.

Here’s what I think is going on (helped by my boyfriend):

Proto-Human race creates/evolves into modern hominids on Earth millennia ago. While exploring other worlds, they discover the tentacle porn aliens, who become their enemies. For some reason — perhaps a third alien race, perhaps a war against their own kind — they figure out a way to subjugate this tentacle species and weaponize them (possibly on human beings, hence the trip back to Earth). The species appears to have a microscopic larval form, a macroscopic larval form, and a single tentacle form.

When the main room holding the black oil (oh X-Files, how your influence shows!) is disturbed, atmospheric conditions change and the distilled tentacle larvae begin to gestate, transforming into tentacle snakes that attack the men. But David fucks with that life cycle. He tries what the Proto-Humans tried — using the distilled larvae to essentially terraform another living creature (as the Proto-Human in the beginning tried to do to himself). He gives a small drop to a human, and the larvae become macroscopic. They mix with his gametes and produce a mutant human-alien hybrid in Dr. Shaw.

This creates a four-limbed tentacle beastie. This continues to grow and change until it becomes the simultaneously vaginal and phallic tentacle creature that attacks the Proto-Human. The combination of Proto-Human + distilled black oil larvae + human gametes —> a weak version of our favorite black alien, with a different life cycle (no chestburster, appears to have an amniotic sac and nutrient vein), but clearly a precursor to the creature we know and love.

As you can see I would like to see it again to sort some s$#! out.

There’s some quibbles — characters get kind of forgotten about in the third act was my main complaint — but it’s hard to say more without knowing where it will be going. I do hope the sequel features Shaw and David’s head, for at least a little while.

Questions — why do they now want to kill Earthlings? Do they want to kill them, or use them in order to create super soldiers with their distilled alien larvae? How did humans come to look quite a bit different than the Proto-Humans? Why are they such a warlike race? Why does David believe creation and destruction must go hand and hand? Why is he so much more philosophical than any other Auton? How much of this gets sent back to Weyland Industries? Is the ship that crashed the ship in Alien (I don’t think so, apparently that was on LV-426 whereas this was LV-22something)? Is Shaw the person in the suit in the wreck in Alien? When do aliens begin to lay eggs?

—-

Edit: after reading some reviews I think I will revise my thoughts on the black oil, which appears to be simply a DNA reconstructor. Didn’t realize it got those little worms in the storage room. Interesting! I am guessing now that David read “To create one must first destroy” somewhere in the alien building, and it probably had some instructions stating that the black stuff is for bioforming (instead of terraforming). The alien in the beginning may or may not have realized what ingesting the black oil would do, but either way, it destroyed him but created human life. It’s possible that the Engineers were like “f&#! that dude” and wanted to wipe out the people he’d created, but it’s also possible that they wanted to keep us around to bioform us into the perfect lifeform for reasons as yet undefined.

So many questions!!! Going to have fun continuing to tease this out with the boyfriend Smile

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:17 pm

http://derusaert.tumblr.com/post/24671287302/prometheus

Prometheus

Just got home from the midnight showing of Prometheus. What an amazing film. The Alien Series is such a huge part of my childhood, my love of movies, my idea of what it means to be a strong woman (Ellen Ripley I love you). This film did NOT disappoint. Far from it - it surpassed my expectations BY FAR.

My only criticism is that there was NOT enough Idris Elba. Nope. Not nearly enough.

Noomi Rapace is flawless. I still haven’t seen any versions of the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series. After I read the Wheel of Time series I’ve got to read those then watch both sets of films.

Michael Fassbender… there are no words for the amazingness of his performance. GAH. There’s just something spooky and amazing about brilliantly conceived A.I. characters anyway…

It had everything I always loved about the Alien Series amplified 12 times! The suspense, the silent, the vastness of space… the MONSTERS. OH.

I almost forgot. I am head over heels in love with Charlize Theron. Seriously. I’m so in love with her. She had a small part but… OH!

Must see film. MUST SEE.

Jun 8
Prometheus movies run do not walk to the movie theater

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:17 pm

http://www.milksblog.com/2012/06/05/prometheus-2/

Post navigation
← Previous
Prometheus
Posted on June 5, 2012 by Perryjohn

It’s been over three years since Ridley Scott announced he’d be returning to the sci-fi/extra-terrestrial genre that he played a big part in crafting. Which in turn played a big hand in making his name. So naturally, speculation began that his latest project Prometheus was to be the long awaited and often alluded to Alien (1979) prequel. Cast and crew, including Scott himself have both fueled and denied the rumors consistently. But now it’s time for audiences everywhere to find out for themselves.

Following a gripping and crucial prologue the story begins to feel classically atmospheric only moments into the first few scenes. From the shiny, white sets of the starship to the fuzzy, green computer text projected onto the characters’ bodies as they pass by, you can feel you’re watching textbook Ridley Scott at work – and it’s good. If it feels slow to start it’s only because the story is so imaginative, unique and thought-provoking that it needs your full attention before getting into the meat. And really, it doesn’t feel too long before it does. After being introduced to the standard group of varied characters (the geeky one, the greedy one, the diplomatic one), their floating home and their parlous mission, we quickly move on to feeling the same enthusiasm for the mission as the characters themselves, and it’s not long before the excitement and intrigue picks up.
Our team made up of scientists, pilots and corporate suits land their trusty ship Prometheus on a newly discovered planet after decoding the cave drawings and symbols of ancient, human civilizations. “Not a map” we’re assured, “but an invitation”. Who made us? Why are we here? Where did we come from? The crew of Prometheus are close to uncovering secrets beyond our wildest speculations, and it’s going to get messy. Not only does the 3D truly enhance some of the space shots and stunning visual effects but the film itself is a great sci-fi thriller movie experience. The kind we’ve missed since Aliens, Terminator 2 and Blade Runner. Sadly though, It’s not for everyone. Unless you have even a mild interest in astronomy, philosophy or existentialism the events might begin to drag a little, which could mean a good enough excuse to stop paying attention. But trust me, a bit of commitment can go a long way.

With drama, tension, thrills and horror you genuinely begin to care about the actions and consequences of the characters, meaning you feel real fear and hesitation when it feels as though something bad is going to happen. And when it does, it barely lets up…
If you’re a fan of Scott’s earlier sci-fi films including Alien and Blade Runner you’ll appreciate the care and effort that’s gone into creating a living, breathing universe that could play host to more stories to come. Organic, yet creepy and unsettling performances from Charlize Theron and Michael Fassbender also make it a worthwhile watch. It’s also one of the best uses of 3D since James Cameron’s pioneering Avatar (2009).
If you prefer your storytelling straight, simple and light then you’re likely to become either lost, bored or frustrated with PROMETHEUS. Seemingly odd plot points and actions require patience and trust for the pay-offs.
I happily award Rating: ★★★★½. Half a point is deducted for occasionally unclear moments in the action and for Guy Pearce’s unnecessarily inferior facial prosthetics.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:18 pm

wheremoviereviewsaremade:

Prometheus (2012)

Review

I’d be lying if I said Prometheus wasn’t my most anticipated film of the year, so I’ll throw that out there before I start an arguably biased analysis. Some have called, and will call, the film a disappointment, although I’m not entirely sure what they were expecting. Scott’s first journey into sci-fi in thirty years is a wildly ambitious one, a film that tries to do nothing less than tell the story of our creation, while also investigating the origin of the Alien films that were set in the distant future of this one. There’s a lot going on here, sometimes too much so, but the film makes quite a bit of sense when broken down into its intricate elements. The opening scene is a startling one that promises a more abstract experience that we get. It’s more of a precursor to the abstractness of the themes we come across, along with questions that deliberately don’t get answers. Is it frustrating? Sure, if that was the type of experience you were expecting, but I’ll be damned if I can find a more intense, visceral, and mesmerizing experience this year, even if I didn’t fully comprehend it the first time around.

A group of scientists have discovered cave drawings all around the world, done at different points in time in places that they couldn’t have reached at the same time, all demonstrating a group of planets that seem to be in the stars. Upon finding this solar system, which was so far out there that it would’ve been impossible for the ancestors to see it, the group leads an expedition to find out what exactly these were pointing to. After all, there is a moon orbiting a planet that proves habitable, even if it’s not the ideal conditions for humans. They believe it may lead to an explanation on the origin of life itself, since so many of these drawings happened so far in the past; maybe they’re right, but maybe there’s something more to it. There are too many hints that there might be some other form of life on this planet, maybe some that wiped out this ancestral batch of people. Alien references abound.

The film isn’t perfect; which film really is? The point is that the movie juggles many strong characters and many themes with relative ease, while also serving the sci-fi and horror genres the respect they deserve. There hasn’t been a film quite like this in a long time, a movie of such foolhardy ambition that uses its science-fiction element in an innovative, expert way. It’s used here, as with all sci-fi films, for inventive devices, weapons, creatures, etc., but it builds off of these things and applies them to where humanity is today. When we look at our capabilities (in the year 2093, where the film takes place) and see what we can now discover, it’s evident that we’ve been called upon to check this place out and find out what’s really going on. Without this genre, that element wouldn’t exist; that may sound obvious, but it shows how they utilize the genre in a way that most films treat casually.

Elizabeth Shaw, played wonderfully by Noomi Rapace, is a fierce embodiment of Ripley, an obvious ode to the Alien franchise and its assertion of a powerful female figure. It’s changed the landscape of the genre, and arguably of female characters, so it’s only fitting that Scott returns to those stomping grounds. Her actions are bold and assertive, even if that may result in a loss of life. She hurts herself in ways that other characters would just give up, and she ensures that she finds what she sought out for; a mention earlier in the film touches upon how a character would sacrifice themselves to find out why they travelled two years. This may be the reason why, and there’s no point in giving up if you think you’ll die. Might as well find out what we’ve been searching for and understand where we stand in this world.

And where do we stand? I’ll do my best to avoid spoilers, but I’ll only address thematic issues that might pertain to later plot points. The opening scene sets the landscape perfectly by showing us what we know as an ancient being, possibly on Earth, planting some type of seed; in doing so, he withers away and creates some form of life. Presumably, that’s the human race. We assume that because, as the body decomposes in the waters below, we see DNA form directly from his body. I won’t go farther than that in terms of where the film strays in its answers, or lack thereof. And trust me, there aren’t a whole lot of answers. Is that a bad thing, though? In reality, it’s merely serving its own purpose by showing that these questions, largely philosophical, can’t be answered, but the origins of life and of, possibly, the aliens that took care of this old race. It’s really a marvel how well these ideas come together, since I’m piecing them together in my mind right now. They work better than I initially realized.

There’s so much at stake here, and traditional viewers might feel satisfied viewing this as a stand-alone feature. People calling back to the Alien franchise might feel a bit of regret over not having many answers, but as I stated many times above, we don’t need any. Not when the experience is this bold and beautiful, with so many gorgeous shots and some of the most impeccable special effects we’ll ever see in a film like this. Fassbender’s performance, one I failed to mention above for fear of going too much into Alien mythology, is one of composure and assurance, something that adds immensely to his robotic presence. There’s set-up for an inevitable sequel, and I honestly couldn’t wait to see it, even though it might not get made. The fact is, I’d be content with getting another experience like this: an intense, well-acted, idea-driven, thematically rich (if inconsistent) movie that delivers on all fronts, except for one: answers. If that’s your cup of tea, you know what to do, but if you’re going to find out all your empty spaces in film and life, you’re going to the wrong film.

Grade: ★★★★½ (out of 5)

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:20 pm

http://fullofbeansandspunk.tumblr.com/post/24670395462

Things I Learned From Prometheus

as continued from my twitter:

(mad spoilers ahead)

don’t trust creatures that resemble human genitalia (geoducks, I’m looking at you)
don’t let dicks build robots. They will also probably turn out to be dicks
don’t be “that guy” who reaches out to an alien life form and coos at it before being surprised that it eats your face
don’t have sex on alien planets
don’t taunt androids and then take the drinks they offer you
don’t be Ridley Scott’s parents (I hope they are not alive anymore because, damn, man)
don’t trust anyone when they say that your unborn fetus is “unconventional”
don’t break off from the main party because you WILL get lost, even if you’re the dude who brought along the things that are mapping out the entire structure you’re stuck in
don’t stick your fingers into random substances like a jackass
gentle caresses can sometimes result in your head being ripped off
flamethrowers are not 100% effective
emergency c-sections are somehow worse in the future
always be Idris Elba because you will always be cool no matter what you are doing

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:21 pm

abluishviolet:
Prometheus

Holy s$#!. I just got back from the midnight premiere of Prometheus and it was incredible. It was everything I was hoping for and more. It brought up so many questions though!!! There are some unanswered questions from the Alien series but this “prequel” brought up a s$#! ton of new theories and ideas!! AHHH SO MUCH TO ASK RIDLEY SCOTT!!! Also, it was incredible in IMAX and 3D. Like all of the landscapes, huge mountains, and caves felt so realistic and like you were actually there. It was great. I can’t wait until they make the next chapter in the Alien series. OOHOHOH and Michael Fassbender was sooosososo attractive in it. Like amazingly. Also he played a really interesting character. I’m not going to give away any huge plot points or spoilers cause I hate when people do that. And there was a ton of mystery about what the movie would be about when I went into it and I think it was much more enjoyable that way. And Charlize Theron was amazing. Her character was great too. She’s just great at playing queen bitch characters haha. And there was tons of attractive men in that movie. Wow. Oh and I need to buy a work jumpsuit a.s.a.p. Like holy s$#! everyone looked so gorgeous in tight futuristic jumpsuits.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:21 pm

docjessen:
Prometheus

First I have to say that I have had an irrational fear of aliens since I was a small child but, because of my love of Fassy I sucked it up and saw it.

DO NOT watch Alien, Aliens, and Alien 3 (I ran out of time for Alien Resurection) before seeing Prometheus. It is because of this that I have some major issues with the movie. Ridley Scott swore up and down that this wasn’t a prequel to Alien but, that it did occur in the same universe. This rings true till the last 10 minutes. Then his lie comes crumbling down around you. Bastard, I want to slap him for this. If he hadn’t done this then I would not be losing my s$#! over the lack of continuity of the film with the first Alien film. Because he decided to do what he did it now requires explaining for the Predator franchise (if you’ve seen AVP you’ll know what I mean) and will require a sequel to explain the s$#! out of this film.

Visually it was stunning and all the actors were stellar. Michael Fassbender was FLAWLESS as always. His character was interesting and you did end up feeling for him…plus dat ass looks fine in a space suit.

The film was more suspense than jump out at you and scare you which I like. It is very hard for me to watch “scary” alien movies. I blame E.T. and my parents.

It’s a solid film. I wouldn’t say it’s the best thing ever but, it’s definitely worth seeing in theaters…and I hope Michael Fassbender appreciates the emotional trauma I went through to support his works…

EDIT:

I was also the ONLY person laughing hysterically at the “vagina monster” then when I realized what it was supposed to be I laughed even harder…It was like there was this great film that could have ended greatly and then someone said, “Hey let’s do all we can to tie this into Alien without actually tying it!” f#%@#&! douche canoes…

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:22 pm

hellobs:
Thoughts on Prometheus (no spoilers):

In all honesty, I loved it.
As soon as the credits started rolling, I just had this huge smile on my face.
I was actually covering my mouth with my hands at several different times during the movie because i was in awe/shock/couldn’t deal.

I didn’t like the beginning.
The whole time I kept thinking “oh no. this isn’t right. there’s too much talking. this doesn’t feel like Ridley Scott. This is lol. This is gonna suck”
and then it started to pick up rather nicely.
Great pace to the movie.

It’s fairly predictable.
Like I called all the major plot points before they happened, but it didn’t take away from the movie at all.
Also, I think any alien fan would find it predictable. It is sort of in it’s own way, a prequel to Alien, so to anybody who has seen that, you already kind of know what’s going to happen.
This definitely did not affect the way i viewed the movie though.

I will say this though - it’s not exactly an Alien prequel. Definitely is towards the very end, but there is really a whole new story being built. I do highly suggest watching the first Alien before seeing the film though. I feel as though it would have a stronger effect. There are many connecting moments between the films. Moments that make alien lovers go “UGHHH. THAT LINKS BACK PERFECTLY.” don’t let them go to waste. watch Alien, it’s a classic/well designed, well written film, with a strong female lead character. Not something you find very often.

For a while, I wasn’t convinced. I liked what I was watching, but every now and then I would get this feeling of “oh gd. no. this is going to end up being stupid and lame. i can feel it”
by the end of the movie, I was in love.

There are some very intense scenes in the film. Literally on the edge of my seat, grabbing my mouth, my eyes wide open. You might want to look away - don’t. I’m telling you. I am totally the type to do that in movies, but don’t do it. You will totally miss out (and it honestly doesn’t get too terrifying. it’s aim is sci-fi, not horror). Blink, and you will miss beautiful details. Even during the scary parts.

David is perfect.

I was down because Ridley seemed to incorporate certain elements from his film earlier Blade Runner. (Seriously a favourite, and I don’t say that often. Watch it if you haven’t already).
I can’t wait for fan theories to start popping up everywhere once the movie has been out for a while.
Let the games begin(?)

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:23 pm

kevinbechaz:

Prometheus (2012) Dir. Ridley Scott

A team of explorers journey to a distant planet where they hope to unlock the secrets to the origins of mankind. It is not long after they arrive when they discover more than they had hoped; leading to a horrifying realization forcing them to fight for not only their own survival but for that of the entire human race.

Director Ridley Scott who is of course most famous for giving us the terrifying deep space masterpiece Alien, delivers an ultra modern, thought provoking, science fiction epic. There is no denying that the long unanswered question of where we came from is nothing short of fascinating and makes for brilliant subject matter; which is what had hooked me into seeing this film since first hearing about it last year. While watching the film I felt a great sense of intrigue that remained consistent throughout most of the film. The overall vibe of Prometheus is extremely unsettling, especially the scenes inside the labyrinth like alien structure. It felt so hostile way before it even became evident.

The plot is kind of erratic; it’s not hard to follow but it goes in multiple directions far too quickly. It also raises more questions than it actually answers which many may view as a negative but for me I found it to be simply more food for thought, it’s stimulating. I like to speculate and I think it’s important to leave some things to the imagination. There are some very intense moments throughout the film which is real edge of your seat stuff. One scene, let’s call it the “surgery” was just crazy, I was actually starting to twitch because I was so nervous.

The viral campaign leading up to the release of Prometheus has been massive to say the least. There have been countless trailers, TV spots and a number of viral video clips, none of which actually appear in the film. This promotional blitz has undeniably worked in the film’s favour but I think it also has been a little misleading; giving many people, myself included the impression that it’s an all out prequel to the original Alien. There is an obvious strong connection between the two films but Prometheus clearly sets out to be a stand alone film, which it manages to do quite well.

Quite a few characters are not very likeable at all. There wasn’t a whole lot of dimension to them and there is a clear lack of development. Much to my relief my least favourite character was killed off quite early. I felt that they were just your generic scientist type characters with that same old vocabulary, that observant, curious nature and the lack of any real personality.

Performances however are overall very good. Noomie Rapace is very strong in the lead role as archaeologist Elizabeth Shaw. Charlize Theron is very restrained as the mission director and corporate bitch Meredith Vickers; and of course Michael Fassbender as the very human-like robot David who is outstanding, he’s steals the show. Fassbender is truly a phenomenal actor. I’ve heard a lot of people say that his performance is very creepy but I personally found him to be very pleasant despite a couple of negative elements to his character. Other supporting cast include Logan Marshall-Green, Idris Elba and a make-up heavy Guy Pearce who are all very good.

Art design and visual effects are very impressive; we would expect nothing less from a film by Ridley Scott. The sets on board the space craft are very detailed and not overly futuristic. The alien sets have that very mechanical, organic and grotesque look much like the original Alien film, there is almost a haunting beauty about them. The use of CGI in Prometheus is so good it’s difficult to tell when it begins and ends. It’s a near seamless visual spectacle on a grand scale.

The cinematography to me is one of the film’s strong points; it captures and very much enhances the overall tone of the film. The many wide panning shots of the dull desolate alien landscape create great sense of isolation, you feel almost stranded. Scott wanted to shoot the film in 3D to enhance the sense of depth which it does tremendously, however I don’t think it’s really necessary to see Prometheus in 3D. It is a visually spectacular treat for the eyes, but I think it would still have most of the desired effect without it. Plus the 3D effect didn’t hold up well for me; after about 40 minutes I failed to even notice it. However it could be just me not being very physically compatible with the 3D technology. It’s a tricky one to call sometimes as we are all different.

Prometheus isn’t the masterpiece a lot of us were hoping for but it’s an intelligent, entertaining, frightening and visual impressive contribution to the genre of science fiction. And a film that simply must be seen on the big screen to experience its full effect and sheer scale. I’m very much looking forward to seeing it again upon its eventual release on Blu-ray which I have no doubt will be a must own title for us film fanatics. 4/5

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:23 pm

doubleexposurejournal:
PROMETHEUS

Theo Zenou on Ridley Scott’s latest film, opening in theaters today, Friday June 8.

We live in an era of blockbuster cinema in which the trailer of a film (the possibility of what a film might be) has sometimes more worth to us than the film itself. The excess of this sadly real behavior can only be countered by a new type of blockbusters: character-driven, theme-driven, and story-driven; in short, a return to what made the blockbuster film such a compelling form.

So, before sitting down in your giant IMAX 3D theatre – when queuing to purchase your popcorn and Coke – forget all you’ve seen so far. Prometheus is a radically different film than the one the hype showed it to be. Ridley Scott redefined science fiction cinema with Alien. But where the former was openly a B-movie with an A approach, Prometheus is another beast. It is one of those rare genre films bold enough, free enough to aim and succeed at more than the great pleasures of entertainment, and in a compressed window of 2 hours, explore thematics straight out of theology and anthropology.

In Prometheus, two scientists, an android, a corporate woman, and a rough crew take off from Earth to a distant planet with the mission of finding there the makers of mankind. And what Ridley Scott cares about here is the characters’ search, the path from certainty to doubt, from belief to faith, from choice to truth. Eerie at its core, Prometheus is a masterful balance of three movies in one: an intimate drama, a sci-fi thriller and finally a myth film, featuring a symbolic narrative. The picture is virally mysterious, there’s a profound urge of constantly wanting to know. Truly, the film makes us remember what it means to be human, in its instinctive throwback to a question that (should) animates us all: Why are we here? As a consequence, the emotion does not only emerge from the characters and their plights, it also takes its inception in the purpose of humanity. We sense that – within the film – there is something that our minds and hearts cannot fully grasp, and whose beauty and sublimity reaches us subtlety, slowly. From the carefully crafted imagery (that include immense corridors, the characters dimly backlit by dark green textures) emerges an other- worldly feeling, the uniting transformation - under our eyes - of science and religion into spirituality. Nonetheless, the story offers its share of exquisite chills, better left unspoiled, although each set pieces is rather short and never the focus of the film. If you’re in it for the action, sit this one out and go enjoy The Avengers (again). Prometheus is all theological dialogue and anthropological exploration.

The familiarity with its prequel, Alien, is present, but will not satisfy those expecting a strong link to Scott’s original film. It seems that Alien is only a mere result of Prometheus, and the latter would be the exact same thing without being called a “prequel”. Nevertheless, some elements are drawn from the 1979’s landmark: the main ship’s design, the technology, the android. But where the android was a plot point in Alien, in Prometheus it serves as a reflection upon the very act of creation, and its meaning. Mankind created androids because they can, so were we created because they could? Is the act of creation thus devoid of any intrinsic goal? As an audience member, this is a film that will test your faith, or ability to possess, feel faith. One could draw comparisons to M. Night Shyamalan but the closest work that shares its thematic sensibilities and concerns is “Lost.” And this comes as no surprise as Damon Lindelof – one of its creators and show runners – is the co-writer of the film, and he infused the Prometheus script with the same intelligence, spirituality and use of spectacle for intimacy that made Lost the most compelling show to air on TV.

Sometimes, in films or novels, a quote or a sentence can define the spirit of the entire work. In Prometheus - when looking at a particle that originates our DNA – the android states: “Big things have small beginnings.” Prometheus covers the biggest thing we could ever deal with: who we are and where we come from? And it does it with the intimacy and integrity to characters that often only small films have. Ridley Scott thus signs an immensely bold film, a testimony of his achievements as a filmmaker but also of his passions as an artist.

And rest assured, Prometheus is only the beginning of the search for our beginning…

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:25 pm

imzthearabianknight:
Epic!
'Would you like a cup of tea mam?'

My Prometheus Review

My ohh my how do I describe Prometheus? Genius? Epic? Innovative? Deep? Terrifying? Awe-inspiring? how about all of those words put together, and well acted on top of that.

I actually want to watch Prometheus again, and I don’t say this lightly the last movie I wanted to watch again right after was the Dark Knight.

I love how Ridley Scott added a whole level of emotion and character development in the most ingenious way. My favorite characters were Noomi Rapace’s Elizabeth Shaw the protagonist with a very sincere goal. To find out why we were made? what possessed someone or something to make us and what were we meant for. Elizabeth attempts to answer this question with Charlie Holloway, which makes for an interesting mini-romance and both characters are really complex. Which is what I really like about prometheus, every and I mean every character has a very complex way of thinking that adds to the story. Another favorite character of mine was David, played by Michael Fassbender who did a spectacular job at keeping a balance between manipulative and charming. ”Anyone who can make you believe he’s not human deserves an academy award”, my friend Sulayman says. After watching Shame, I wondered if Michael Fassbender would be able to top his acting in it but in Prometheus he does just that. Charlize Theron plays Meredith Vickers, the sexy co-captain?well, her position in the Prometheus hierarchy is ambiguous. Charlize Theron outshines as Meredith who I generally liked as a character but you be the judge whatever you decide there’s no arguing the complexity of her character.

I love the themes of science vs religion which are quite recurrent. Daemon Lindelof, one of the writer of Lost was involved in the making which might be the reason for the science vs religion theme and maybe even the reason for the few unanswered questions were left to deal with.

These questions being the only bad thing about Prometheus, can easily be overlooked. I watched the film in 3-D which feels unnecessary cause theres no in your face memorable 3-D moments the operative words being ‘3-D Moments’, there are plenty of memorable movie moments(my favorite being one that has something to do with a surgical machine) making Prometheus just as good as Alien. But 3-D really is a must for this flick cause its the only way to fully appreciate the beautiful landscapes and situations.

As an aspiring writer I reveled in the literary prowess that this movie showed and use it as inspiration for writing. Thank you for making this movie Ridley Scott.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:25 pm

overachievious:

So…..Prometheus.

Go see it now.

And goly, the 3D was actually worth it.

Gave me a headache in the last few minutes, but damn that movie was beautiful.

Reviews had me worried the ending wouldn’t be satisfactory but I think everything was wrapped up marvelously. Of course there are still unanswered questions. But all the important ones that lend to a story well-told and a plot summed up were answered. Also, it was a great Alien prequel. Everything, as promised, pretty much “makes sense” now.

Lent enough nods to Alien (same universe/storyline of course) but thankfully was able to have it’s own plot that can stand independently. Not just a rehash of the same events.

Got what I wanted. Michael Fassbender was amazing. Can I buy a David?

Artificial Intelligence is so fascinating.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:26 pm

starkmyarc:
Prometheus was so intense, I can't even.

I just—words man, how do they work?

I wasn’t expecting it to be as gruesome as it was, but oh lord. I was hugging my knees half the time with wide eyes staring at the screen. Despite having called quite a few things, it didn’t matter, because the way it was put together was just so visually stunning.

And don’t even get me started on David. I have so many David feels—though I really just have android feels in general whether it be Ash, Bishop, or David. I absolutely loved David and Fassbender was phenomenal with this role. The way he showed the emotions that he did, and how he could look so indifferent and absent minded just threw me. Or even little things he took “joy” in. Also, I don’t blame David for what he did to Charlie, I mean, he kind of had it coming after what he said to David.

Moral(s) of this movie:

Searching for our creator, no matter how enticing it may sound, is not a good idea.
Do not treat androids like s$#! or else they will f&#! you over and you will die.

Overall, I thought this movie was impressive, very much so, and I highly recommend going to see it. Especially if you enjoyed Alien (and even Aliens) or just sci-fi in general.

Also, the theater I went to gave us t-shirts. I now have a Prometheus shirt. Awwwh yeahhh. Wink

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:26 pm

http://slashertheater.blogspot.com/2012/06/prometheus.html

Prometheus: Engineering Mankind
Friday, June 08, 2012 Blake C

Prometheus, which marks director Ridley Scott's first return to the universe he helped create with 1979's Alien, is a story about questioning the very creation and purpose of mankind on planet earth. A group of scientists, mercenaries, and explorers discover an ancient symbol which they believe will help lead them to the origin of man. They set off through space and discover a distant planet which matches up with their ancient star maps. Soon, they find themselves in a struggle with their environment, themselves, and something much more ancient.

1979's Alien is one of best horror sci-fi film ever made, but was unfortunately subject to which took the franchise in a completely different direction. Prometheus takes the Alien universe back to its roots. It essentially ignores every film other than the original Alien, which is the only one directed by Ridley Scott. The two films take place in the same fictional universe, but Prometheus can not be considered a prequel in the traditional sense. It answers many questions that viewers may have about Alien, but does not at any point suggest that Prometheus takes place before Alien, or that the events of Prometheus directed affect or lead to the events of Alien.

Overall, Prometheus was a very good sci-fi film. It was incredibly well-made (which is expected when seeing Scott's name attached to a project) which made is visually stunning and remained interesting and gripping throughout, despite running just over 2 hours. For fans of Alien, Prometheus is required viewing. It opened up the Alien universe in a way that may have seemed impossible just a few years ago, and really helped deepen that place for further investigation in future works.

However, this also brings about problems. Prometheus answered many questions about Alien, but at the same time, asked many questions which remain unanswered when the theater lights go back on at the end of the film. Scott has very subtly hinted at plans for a sequel, and the ending further supports that, however, it also leaves people a bit unsatisfied.

Prometheus had an excellent story and incredible performance by Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender (who both stood out among the well-acted cast), but the big questions that remain when the film ends may cause a bit of disappointment to many viewers.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top