Top News
WE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT MICHAEL-AN AWARD WINNING ACTOR

Congratulations to the cast and crew of "12 Years a Slave" winning an Oscar for Best Picture

Michael is currently filming "MacBeth"

Watch "12 Years A Slave" and "Frank" in theaters

Watch "The Counselor" and "12 Years A Slave" on DVD available now

Michael is set to star and produce on a film version of the video game "Assassin's Creed"

Completed projects: X-Men, Untitled Malik project

Upcoming projects Assassin's Creed, Prometheus 2, MacBeth,and more!

Header credit here

MFmultiply's Disclaimer

Order region 1 dvds-Amazon store

Order region 2-UK dvds-Amazon Shoppe

Please check the calender for films on TV, Theater, or dvd releases
April 2019
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

London Film Critics' Circle Awards

Go down

London Film Critics' Circle Awards Empty London Film Critics' Circle Awards

Post by Admin on Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:54 am

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/film/story/2009/12/21/london-critics-nominees.html

The British coming-of-age film An Education scored a leading seven nominations for the London Film Critics' Circle Awards on Monday, with the group also announcing a special honour for American filmmaker Quentin Tarantino.

Based on journalist Lynn Barber's teenage memories from the early 1960s Britain, An Education's nominations included a pair of nods for star Carey Mulligan, who was one of the main ingenues on the international film festival circuit this year as well as for best screenwriter for Nick Hornby and best British film of the year.

Hot on its heels with multiple nominations were the films Fish Tank, In the Loop, Nowhere Boy and the French title A Prophet.

With eight of the 14 categories reserved for U.K. films and performers, the nominations largely focus on the British industry.

Still, a host of international films were nominated, including just-released sci-fi extravaganza Avatar, Jason Reitman's downsizing comedy-drama Up in the Air, stark Cannes-winning film The White Ribbon and A Prophet — the latter two increasingly looking like shoo-ins as Oscar foreign film contenders.

Nominees include:

* Film of the year: Avatar; The Hurt Locker; A Prophet; The White Ribbon; Up In The Air.
* British film: Bright Star; An Education; Fish Tank; In The Loop; Moon.
* Foreign Language film: The Class; Katyn; Let the Right One In; A Prophet; The White Ribbon.
* Director: Jacques Audiard – A Prophet; Kathryn Bigelow – The Hurt Locker; James Cameron – Avatar; Michael Haneke – The White Ribbon; Jason Reitman – Up in the Air.
* British Director: Andrea Arnold – Fish Tank; Armando Iannucci – In the Loop; Duncan Jones – Moon; Kevin Macdonald – State of Play; Sam Taylor-Wood – Nowhere Boy.
* Actor: Jeff Bridges – Crazy Heart; George Clooney – Up in the Air; Tahar Rahim – A Prophet; Michael Stuhlbarg – A Serious Man; Christoph Waltz – Inglourious Basterds.
* Actress: Abbie Cornish – Bright Star; Vera Farmiga – Up in the Air; Mo'Nique – Precious; Carey Mulligan – An Education; Meryl Streep – Julie & Julia.
* British Actor: Peter Capaldi – In the Loop; Colin Firth – A Single Man; Tom Hardy – Bronson; Christian MacKay – Me and Orson Welles; Andy Serkis – Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll.
* British Actress: Emily Blunt – The Young Victoria; Helen Mirren – The Last Station; Carey Mulligan – An Education; Katie Jarvis – Fish Tank; Kristin Scott Thomas – Nowhere Boy.
* British Actor, Supporting: Michael Fassbender – Fish Tank; John Hurt – 44 Inch Chest; Jason Isaacs – Good; Alfred Molina – An Education; Timothy Spall – The Damned United.
* British Actress, Supporting: Emily Blunt – Sunshine Cleaning; Anne-Marie Duff – Nowhere Boy; Rosamund Pike – An Education; Kierston Wareing – Fish Tank; Olivia Williams – An Education.
* Screenwriter: Jesse Armstrong, Simon Blackwell, Armando Iannucci & Tony Roche – In the Loop; Thomas Bidegain & Jacques Audiard – A Prophet; Joel & Ethan Coen – A Serious Man; Michael Haneke – The White Ribbon; Nick Hornby – An Education.
* Young British Performer: Katie Jarvis – Fish Tank; Aaron Johnson – Nowhere Boy and Dummy; George MacKay – The Boys Are Back; Bill Milner – Is Anybody There? and Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll; Saoirse Ronan – The Lovely Bones.
* Breakthrough filmmaker: Daniel Barber – Harry Brown; Armando Ianucci – In the Loop; Duncan Jones – Moon; Peter Strickland – Katalin Varga; Sam Taylor-Wood – Nowhere Boy.

The critics' group, which is comprised of more than 100 film journalists in the U.K., also tapped Quentin Tarantino as winner of the Dilys Powell Award for Excellence in Cinema.

The 30th annual London Film Critics Circle Awards will be announced on Feb. 18.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

London Film Critics' Circle Awards Empty Re: London Film Critics' Circle Awards

Post by Admin on Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:47 pm

http://incontention.com/?p=19693

An Education’ leads London Critics’ award noms
Posted by Guy Lodge · 12:58 pm · December 22nd, 2009

The London Film Critics’ Circle awards have their cake and eat it by having separate British film categories, in addition to some general fields where the Brits also compete. So UK productions invariably lead the field.

Allowing for that and other oddities, this is a very pleasing list for the most part. “An Education” seals its status as this year’s British title of choice, with a leading seven nods; “Fish Tank” is close behind, with six. (I think we can count on the former triumphing at the BAFTAs next year.)

The abundant love for “A Prophet” is probably the most unusual (and exciting) aspect here, while I’m also thrilled to see mentions for Michael Fassbender, Rosamund Pike and Michael Stuhlbarg, among others. (Also interesting: Mo’Nique and Vera Farmiga both cropping up in the lead actress category, with their female co-stars nowhere to be seen.)

FILM OF THE YEAR
“Avatar”
“The Hurt Locker”
“A Prophet”
“Up in the Air”
“The White Ribbon”

ATTENBOROUGH AWARD (BRITISH FILM OF THE YEAR)
“Bright Star”
“An Education”
“Fish Tank”
“In the Loop”
“Moon”

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM OF THE YEAR
“The Class”
“Katyn”
“Let the Right One In”
“A Prophet”
“The White Ribbon”

DIRECTOR OF THE YEAR
Jacques Audiard, “A Prophet”
Kathryn Bigelow, “The Hurt Locker”
James Cameron, “Avatar”
Michael Haneke, “The White Ribbon”
Jason Reitman, “Up in the Air”

BRITISH DIRECTOR OF THE YEAR
Andrea Arnold, “Fish Tank”
Armando Iannucci, “In the Loop”
Duncan Jones, “Moon”
Kevin Macdonald, “State of Play”
Sam Taylor-Wood, “Nowhere Boy”

ACTOR OF THE YEAR
Jeff Bridges, “Crazy Heart”
George Clooney, “Up in the Air”
Tahar Rahim, “A Prophet”
Michael Stuhlbarg, “A Serious Man”
Christoph Waltz, “Inglourious Basterds”

ACTRESS OF THE YEAR
Abbie Cornish, “Bright Star”
Vera Farmiga, “Up in the Air”
Mo’Nique, “Precious”
Carey Mulligan, “An Education”
Meryl Streep, “Julie & Julia”

BRITISH ACTOR OF THE YEAR
Peter Capaldi, “In the Loop”
Colin Firth, “A Single Man”
Tom Hardy, “Bronson”
Christian McKay, “Me and Orson Welles”
Andy Serkis, “Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll”

BRITISH ACTRESS OF THE YEAR
Emily Blunt, “The Young Victoria”
Helen Mirren, “The Last Station”
Carey Mulligan, “An Education”
Katie Jarvis, “Fish Tank”
Kristin Scott Thomas, “Nowhere Boy”

BRITISH ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Michael Fassbender, “Fish Tank”
John Hurt, “44 Inch Chest”
Jason Isaacs, “Good”
Alfred Molina, “An Education”
Timothy Spall, “The Damned United”

BRITISH ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Emily Blunt, “Sunshine Cleaning”
Anne-Marie Duff, “Nowhere Boy”
Rosamund Pike, “An Education”
Kierston Wareing, “Fish Tank”
Olivia Williams, “An Education”

SCREENWRITER OF THE YEAR
Jesse Armstrong, Simon Blackwell, Armando Iannucci & Tony Roche, “In the Loop”
Thomas Bidegain & Jacques Audiard, “A Prophet”
Joel & Ethan Coen, “A Serious Man”
Michael Haneke, “The White Ribbon”
Nick Hornby, “An Education”

THE NSPCC AWARD (YOUNG BRITISH PERFORMER OF THE YEAR)
Katie Jarvis, “Fish Tank”
Aaron Johnson, “Nowhere Boy” and “Dummy”
George MacKay, “The Boys Are Back”
Bill Milner, “Is Anybody There?” and “Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll”
Saoirse Ronan, “The Lovely Bones”

BREAKTHROUGH BRITISH FILM-MAKER
Daniel Barber, “Harry Brown”
Armando Ianucci, “In the Loop”
Duncan Jones, “Moon”
Peter Strickland, “Katalin Varga”
Sam Taylor-Wood, “Nowhere Boy”

DILYS POWELL AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN CINEMA
Quentin Tarantino

30TH ANNIVERSARY AWARD (BEST OF OUR WINNERS SINCE 1980)
“Apocalypse Now”
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:04 pm

http://www.assetsworld.com/assetsblog/?p=817

The London Film Critics Awards

rehna February 21st, 2010

I’ve met Quentin Tarantino 3 times now. It’s surely only a question of time before I’m cast as the ultra violent lead in a female Reservoir dogs. But for now QT is playing his cards close to his chest on that one.

Yes, it was the London Film critics awards on Thursday; my favourite awards of the year. Informal, relaxed and irreverent, it’s the place where I’ve got to shoot the breeze with the likes of Martin Scorsese, Helen Mirren et al without PR minders blustering around like over protective flies. Plus it’s the only awards which directly benefit a charity, the NSPCC, a cause close to my heart.

Like the Brits, the awards were also celebrating their 30th anniversary so there was an award for the best film of the past winners in the past 30 years. It went to ‘Apocalypse Now’.

Film of the year 2010 was ‘A Prophet’ the French entry to the Oscars this year. It beat the likes of Up in the Air and Avatar, prompting a delighted Jacques Audiard to joke that he wanted to call up James Cameron and in his best, devilish French English say ‘LOOZER’!

Speaking to us journalists later he said he believes films should leave audiences with a positive message at the end even if the prior 2 hours have been grim as his prison drama clearly is. Asked about the graphic violence in A Prophet, he said he personally dislikes violence but he uses it because he knows violence in cinema, like love in cinema is essentially fake. He’s had tremendous feedback for this film with people telling him that the prison scenes are incredibly realistic. Audiard noted wryly, that, of-course, most people have never been to prison so how do they actually know what is realistic?

British film of the year went to Fish Tank. It’s director Andrea Arnold also got best British director and its two actors Katie Jarvis and Michael Fassbender received acting prizes.

I haven’t seen Fish tank and I hated Andrea Arnold’s first feature film but she’s absolutely delightful and I didn’t have the heart to say anything critical. She also gives the funniest winner speeches usually wearing her coat likes she was just passing by and thought she’s pop in! Arnold refused to be drawn on rumours that she is set to direct a new version of Wuthering Heights (my all time favourite book) but if she does she could do worse than cast Michael Fassbender as Heathcliff. The German born Irishman is incredibly sexy in the flesh and has just that hint of danger under his charming smile which would make him perfect for Literature’s greatest bad boy. He’s already down to play Mr Rochester in the new Jane Eyre. Mmmmm!!

In another upset, Christopher Waltz picked up best actor over the likes of Jeff Bridges and Clooney. He was terrific too backstage, saying that film is a collaborative process so even when you win you have to recognize that you had a great director (thank you Quentin Tarantino), great partners in acting (thank you Brad Pitt) and actually got paid (thank you Harvey Weinstein)!
He said Tarantino is crazy but also an immensely mature artist who knows his craft and has seen every movie, not just the big ones but EVERY movie. Waltz added that in 20 years Inglorious Basterds will be recognized as a pivotal movie in cinema history.

Tarantino himself was delighted to receive the Dilys Powell award for contribution to cinema. Although he thinks he’s far too young and ‘only in the middle of his career with the best yet to come’ he was glad he’d finally got to see film critics who hated his work in the flesh.

He thinks Inglorious Basterds is very much in the Oscars race for best picture and doesn’t think Avatar is a shoo in for it. His own motivation for becoming a director was to make movies that would make other young people want to get into movies. That was his dream when he was a 14 year old kid and he’s delighted wannabee film makers now look up to him as an inspiration. He thinks the best films in the world today are coming out of Korea but has hopes too for Britain to rise again. ‘You have a bonafide industry again now.’
Well, who am I to argue. The legend declared my questions ‘very good’ so I have to believe everything else he says as true too!

Carey Mulligan won best British actress for ‘An Education. She’s now in Wall St 2 and told us that at the Oscars lunch all the nominees get a jumper with Oscar written on it so they all feel like winners. Ahh!

Colin Firth won best British actor for ‘A single man’. And Monique won best actress over Meryl Streep and co. If you haven’t seen ‘Precious’ you’re missing an astonishing performance from Moniqe. She is so hateable in that film you want to throw VERY rotten tomatoes at the screen. And as someone who works in the child abuse legal system, I can tell you she is as true to life as an actor can possibly be to the kind of mothers we deal with.

Anne Marie Duff won best supporting actress for her turn as John Lennon’s mother in ‘Nowhere Boy.’ I really recommend that film. Anne Marie is delightful and deserved her award but Kristen Scott-Thomas is also amazing in the film.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down