Michael Fassbender Fans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top News
WE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT MICHAEL-AN AWARD WINNING ACTOR

Congratulations to the cast and crew of "12 Years a Slave" winning an Oscar for Best Picture

Michael is currently filming "MacBeth"

Watch "12 Years A Slave" and "Frank" in theaters

Watch "The Counselor" and "12 Years A Slave" on DVD available now

Michael is set to star and produce on a film version of the video game "Assassin's Creed"

Completed projects: X-Men, Untitled Malik project

Upcoming projects Assassin's Creed, Prometheus 2, MacBeth,and more!

Header credit here

MFmultiply's Disclaimer

Order region 1 dvds-Amazon store

Order region 2-UK dvds-Amazon Shoppe

Please check the calender for films on TV, Theater, or dvd releases
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Awards Discussion

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Awards Discussion Empty Awards Discussion

Post by Admin Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:36 am

http://theinsneider.blogspot.com/2010/01/2010-oscar-predictions-new-years-pulse.html

3. Q: What's the deal with THE LAST STATION? Did anybody actually see this movie? Are Helen Mirren and Christopher Plummer both sure things?
A: I haven't seen THE LAST STATION but Mirren/Plummer are really messing up my predictions. Mirren I can live with because, well, she's Helen Mirren and I'm not that passionate about the lead actresses who would be left out (although I never saw Tilda Swinton in JULIA). But a "career achievement" nomination for Plummer? C'mon! There are a lot of deserving actors this year whose careers would definitely be helped by a supporting nomination. Can't we just pretend this movie never happened and nominate Emily Blunt or Abbie Cornish (or preferably Maya Rudolph from AWAY WE GO) for Best Actress and either Alfred Molina or Peter Sarsgaard from AN EDUCATION (or BROTHERS' Tobey Maguire or FISH TANK's Michael Fassbender)?

BEST PICTURE

District 9
An Education
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Nine
Precious
A Serious Man
Up
Up in the Air

ALT: A Single Man

BEST DIRECTOR

Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker
James Cameron, Avatar
Lee Daniels, Precious
Jason Reitman, Up in the Air
Quentin Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds

ALT: Neill Blomkamp, District 9

BEST ACTOR

Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart
George Clooney, Up in the Air
Colin Firth, A Single Man
Morgan Freeman, Invictus
Jeremy Renner, The Hurt Locker

ALT: None

BEST ACTRESS

Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side
Helen Mirren, The Last Station
Carey Mulligan, An Education
Gabourey Sidibe, Precious
Meryl Streep, Julie & Julia

ALT: Emily Blunt, The Young Victoria

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Woody Harrelson, The Messenger
Anthony Mackie, The Hurt Locker
Christopher Plummer, The Last Station
Stanley Tucci, The Lovely Bones
Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds

ALT: Tobey Maguire, Brothers

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Marion Cotillard, Nine
Vera Farmiga, Up in the Air
Anna Kendrick, Up in the Air
Melanie Laurent, Inglourious Basterds
Mo’Nique, Precious

ALT: Julianne Moore, A Single Man

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

500 Days of Summer
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
A Serious Man
Up

ALT: None

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

An Education
Precious
A Single Man
Up in the Air
Where the Wild Things Are

ALT: The Fantastic Mr. Fox

BEST ANIMATED FILM

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
Coraline
Fantastic Mr. Fox
The Princess and the Frog
Up

ALT: Ponyo

BEST DOCUMENTARY

The Beaches of Agnes
Burma VJ
The Cove
Every Little Step
Mugabe and the White African

ALT: Food, Inc.

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

Bright Star
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Nine
A Single Man

ALT: Avatar

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

The Informant!
A Single Man
Star Trek
Up

ALT: Sherlock Holmes

BEST COSTUME DESIGN

Bright Star
Inglourious Basterds
Nine
A Single Man
The Young Victoria

ALT: Public Enemies

BEST ART DIRECTION

The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus
Inglourious Basterds
The Lovely Bones
Nine
A Serious Man

ALT: Star Trek

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

District 9
Star Trek

ALT: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Awards Discussion Empty Re: Awards Discussion

Post by Admin Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:17 pm

http://www.patriotledger.com/entertainment/x231964599/Oscar-nominations-to-be-announced-Tuesday

Oscar nominations to be announced Tuesday

By AL ALEXANDER
The Patriot Ledger
Posted Jan 29, 2010 @ 12:23 PM

The Oscars will be bigger than ever this year, as the field for best picture expands from five to 10 nominees. That means fan favorites like “Avatar,” “Star Trek” and “The Hangover” just might make the cut, whereas in past years they would not.

It’s all part of a plan to boost ratings for an Oscar telecast that hit a nadir last year, when not one of the indie-minded best picture nominees crossed the magical $100 million level at the box office. (“Slumdog Millionaire” did eventually achieve that mark after winning best picture.)

That won’t be a problem this year with “Avatar,” history’s biggest money earner, leading the charge. Good thing, too, because without the interest that James Cameron’s mega-blockbuster has created, there would be nothing interesting at all about this year’s ceremony.

Just look at the all-important acting categories, where Jeff Bridges, Mo’Nique and newcomer Christoph Waltz rank as prohibitive favorites to take home the little gold guy.

Only in the best actress category – where the slight favorite, Sandra Bullock, faces a stiff challenge from Meryl Streep – is there a hint of drama.

Still, if you’re like me (and, yes, I’m aware there are fewer and fewer of us), you won’t be able to resist the Hollywood glitz, politics and backstabbing that are so very much a part of the awards.

But who will be nominated? The answer comes Tuesday morning, when all names will be revealed. But why wait until then when my crystal ball is so clear? Well, maybe not perfectly clear, but pretty clear.

So without further ado, let me introduce my predictions on whose names will be called out Tuesday, beginning with:

Best Supporting Actress

The contenders: Vera Farmiga, “Up in the Air”; Anna Kendrick, “Up in the Air”; Mo’Nique, “Precious”; Diane Kruger, “Inglourious Basterds”; Betty White, “The Proposal”; Jane Lynch, “Julie & Julia”; Penelope Cruz, “Nine”; Marion Cotillard, “Nine”; Helen Mirren, “The Last Station”; Julianne Moore, “A Single Man.”

Locks: Coming off her wins at the Golden Globes and Screen Actors Guild Awards, Mo’Nique heads into the Oscars as the overwhelming favorite for her haunting portrayal of an angry, abusive mother in “Precious.” She’s a shoo-in, as are “Up in the Air’s” unbeatable tandem of Kendrick and Farmiga.

On the bubble: The remaining two spots are anybody’s guess. But don’t be surprised if voters give a shout-out to the 88-year-old White in tribute to her longevity. The ballot-casters might, however, have a few qualms about honoring someone playing a role as crass as her foul-mouthed granny in “The Proposal.” As for Cruz and Cotillard, they can pretty much figure on watching the Oscars from their couches thanks to “Nine’s” minuscule box office. Which leaves the M&Ms, Moore and Mirren, who I think will fill the remaining spots. Why? Because voters love classy actresses, especially ones with resumes as glowing as theirs.

Best supporting actor

The contenders: Christoph Waltz, “Inglourious Basterds”; Woody Harrelson, “The Messenger”; Stanley Tucci, “The Lovely Bones” or “Julie & Julia”; Christian McKay, “Me and Orson Welles”; Alec Baldwin, “It’s Complicated”; Christopher Plummer, “The Last Station”; Alfred Molina, “An Education”; Colin Farrell, “Crazy Heart”; Peter Capaldi, “In the Loop”; Matt Damon, “Invictus.”

Locks: Like Mo’Nique, the previously unknown Waltz has won every award there is to be won. And that will surely continue for the rest of the awards season. His closest competition – and it’s really not very close – is Harrelson, who gave perhaps the best performance of his career as the hardened Army officer in the criminally underseen “The Messenger.”

On the bubble: Again, the remaining spots are mere window dressing and a chance to acknowledge lifetime achievements. That’s why I think voters will go for Plummer, Molina and Damon. But if it were up to me, those spots would go to Farrell, showing off his lofty singing talents in “Crazy Heart,” and the two unknowns from across the pond, McKay and Capaldi, who were both larger than life in films almost too small to contain their talents.

Best actress

The contenders: Sandra Bullock, “The Blind Side”; Carey Mulligan, “An Education”; Meryl Streep, “Julie & Julia”; Melanie Laurent, “Inglourious Basterds”; Emily Blunt, “The Young Victoria”; Gabourey Sidibe, “Precious”; Ellen Page, “Whip It”; Zooey Deschanel, “(500) Days of Summer”; Amy Adams, “Sunshine Cleaning”; Nisreen Faour, “Amreeka.”

Locks: On the strength of her shocking Golden Globe and SAG wins, Bullock can start picking out her gown and writing her Oscar acceptance speech now. Still, don’t count out Streep, also a Golden Globe winner, who was so amazing as Julia Child that I cannot believe voters – when it comes time to cast their final ballots – will overlook work that was superior to Bullock’s in every way. But, hey, she’s Streep; and sadly too many people now take her greatness for granted.

On the bubble: Among the also-rans, Sidibe is the closest to being a shoo-in for her wrenching portrayal of an abused and neglected teen in “Precious.” As for the fourth spot; I think it will go to Mulligan, although I believe her clout is fading now that voters realize “An Education” wasn’t as great as some critics proclaimed. That leaves one spot for Laurent and Blunt to fight over, with Blunt winning, simply because more voters are familiar with her than with Laurent. If it were up to me, though, it would be Laurent, who was amazing as a French resistance leader in “Basterds.”

Best actor

The contenders: Jeff Bridges, “Crazy Heart”; George Clooney, “Up in the Air”; Jeremy Renner, “The Hurt Locker”; Michael Stuhlbarg, “A Serious Man”; Colin Firth, “A Single Man”; Morgan Freeman, “Invictus”; Matt Damon, “The Informant”; Viggo Mortensen, “The Road”; Michael Fassbender, “Hunger”; Brad Pitt, “Inglourious Basterds”; Nicolas Cage, “Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans.”

Locks: It’s starting to sound like a broken record, but yet again, this is a race that is all but over, with Bridges prevailing. Deservedly so, too, because his drunken, washed-up singer in “Crazy Heart” was the finest work of his career, and no one came close to matching it. Joining him in the front row of the Kodak Theatre on March 7 will be Clooney and Renner, two guys who grew out of the slums of TV into charismatic leading men. They also share one other trait: They both dazzled with their heartfelt portrayals of committed loners who get their jollies from their work: Clooney dismantling people’s lives and Renner dismantling bombs.

On the bubble: Firth, who has never been nominated despite many a fine performance, would seem to finally be in line for some well-deserved kudos for his portrayal of a gay man tormented by grief. The fifth spot is not so certain. At one time, it seemed like Freeman would be a lock for his dead-on depiction of South African leader Nelson Mandela, but those hopes may have faded along with the film’s mediocre box office returns. If he falters, look for the unknown but terrific Stuhlbarg to squeeze in.

Best director

The contenders: James Cameron, “Avatar”; Kathryn Bigelow, “The Hurt Locker”; Jason Reitman, “Up in the Air”; Quentin Tarantino, “Inglourious Basterds”; Lee Daniels, “Precious”; Clint Eastwood, “Invictus”; Lone Scherfig, “An Education”; Joel and Ethan Coen, “A Serious Man”: Nora Ephron, “Julie and Julia”; Marc Webb, “(500) Days of Summer.”

Locks: Although I hated his movie and what it represents (glitz over substance), the smug and narcissistic Cameron is the early favorite to win the Oscar. Hopefully, voters will wise up in the next couple of weeks and give the prize to the person who truly deserves it, Bigelow. And that’s not just because she’s the ex-wife of Cameron, the self-proclaimed King of the World. No, it’s because in her Iraq war drama, she created some of the best, most gut-churning suspense since Hitchcock in his prime. Although they weren’t quite up to her level, Reitman and Tarantino also deserve to be here; because, unlike Cameron, they are directors who know how to tell compelling, unconventional stories that don’t rip off “Dances With Wolves.”

On the bubble: That leaves one open spot, and who gets it is anybody’s guess. About six weeks ago, it looked like it would be Eastwood, but that was before “Invictus” failed to dazzle audiences and critics. Ditto for Rob Marshall for his DOA “Nine.” Daniels would seem the likely choice, given the amazing work he did in coaxing superb performances out of newcomer Sidibe and former Pepsi pitch woman Mo’Nique. He would be my choice, too. But I have a hunch voters will continue to show their love for the quirky Coen brothers and give them the nod.

Best picture

The contenders: “Avatar,” “Inglourious Basterds,” “Up in the Air,” “Up,” “The Messenger,” “A Serious Man,” “A Single Man,” “The Hurt Locker,” “Precious,” “An Education,” “Invictus,” “District 9,” “The Hangover,” “Star Trek,” “In the Loop,” “Coraline,” “Fantastic Mr. Fox.”

Locks: This is the category that has everyone anxious because the field has been expanded from the traditional five to 10. It’s meant to boost TV ratings, which is fine, except it in turn dilutes the strength of the field and opens the door for a movie to win best picture with only minimal support from voters. That means you, “Avatar,” which should win every technical award, as it deserves, but not best director or picture. No, that honor should go to either “Up,” “Up in the Air,” “Inglourious Basterds” or “The Hurt Locker,” all of which are likely nominees.

On the bubble: The other five openings likely will be filled with slightly lesser fare like “Star Trek,” “Distirct 9,” “An Education” and “Precious.” But if there is justice, those spots will go to the smart and sassy “In the Loop,” the ingeniously clever “(500) Days of Summer,” the tremendously well-acted “The Messenger,” the gorgeously animated “Coraline” and either of the year’s two superior documentaries, “The Cove” or “Food, Inc.”
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:20 pm

http://www.nowtoronto.com/daily/story.cfm?content=173465

And the nominees are?
Who will get an Oscar nomination this year, and who should
By Norman Wilner

At this point in the awards season, we’ve got a good sense of the major Oscar contenders; the real fun is had in imagining what the surprises will be when the nominees are announced on Tuesday. So I’ve put together a few ideas of my own.

By the way, all that talk about the expanded Best Picture competition means nothing; there may be ten slots at the top, but there are only five nominations for the other categories. Thus, the favourites will distinguish themselves pretty quickly; if a given title didn’t score a Director nomination, it doesn’t have a chance at the top prize.

* Avatar will be nominated for Picture, Director and a slew of technical awards, but James Cameron’s script – and all of his actors – will go unacknowledged. Which is sort of what the movie’s all about.

* The Hurt Locker will fail to score a Best Director nomination, depriving the media of its Battle of the Exes (Kathryn Bigelow used to be married to James Cameron) and sparking a brief debate over Academy sexism until someone reminds us that Oscar has never had much patience for unconventional, cerebral war movies, as great as they may be. Remember, this is the organization that embraced Platoon and ignored Full Metal Jacket.

* Precious: Based On The Novel “Push” By Sapphire will probably not be nominated for Best Picture. Or Best Director. Or much of anything else, beyond nods for Best Adapted Screenplay and Mo’Nique’s stranglehold on Best Supporting Actress. The buzz just isn’t there anymore, having petered out over the long release campaign. An Education and Bright Star face the same challenge: they exploded out of Cannes, but lost momentum almost as soon as they went into commercial release.

* Jason Reitman’s Up In The Air will be showered with major nominations – it’ll be up for Picture, Director, Adapted Screenplay, and acting nominations for George Clooney, Vera Farmiga and Anna Kendrick. And given the Oscar tradition of awarding Best Supporting Actress to the youngest or oldest contender, Kendrick’s likely to be the only nominee with a chance of beating Mo’Nique for the prize.

* Pixar’s Up will be the second animated film to score a Best Picture nomination. But the existence of the Best Animated Feature category means no one actually has to support it any further for the top prize.

* Meryl Streep will be nominated for Best Actress for Julie & Julia, which will make Sony very happy. Universal, which was chasing a Streep nomination for It’s Complicated, will not be happy.

* Jeff Bridges will be nominated for his lead performance in Crazy Heart. In a perfect world, so would Nicolas Cage, for his balls-out turn in The Bad Lieutenant: Port Of Call New Orleans. But it’s not a perfect world.

* No one will remember Where The Wild Things Are, either. Or Michael Fassbender in Hunger. Or Arta Dobroschi in Lorna’s Silence.

* Quentin Tarantino’s Inglourious Basterds will land the expected noms – Best Supporting Actor for Christoph Waltz, Best Original Screenplay for QT himself and maybe some production-design prizes. It might even land one of those extra Best Picture slots. But it’s not a serious contender, and the Weinsteins know it … which is why they blew this year’s promotional budget on Nine. (Also: Ouch.)

* Nine will score two nominations for Best Original Song, even though that means Kate Hudson will appear on the telecast performing the horrible “Cinema Italiano” in a production number even cheesier than the one in the film. The other song, Marion Cotillard’s striptease number “Take It All”, will look classy by comparison.

* Composer Marvin Hamlisch will land his first Oscar nomination in 13 years for “The Informant!” And he will lose, because not enough voters will get the joke of his marvellously self-referential score.

* Stanley Tucci is competing against himself for a Best Supporting Actor nomination … and his sweet, understated work in Julie & Julia will probably lose out to his eeeeeevil performance in The Lovely Bones, accomplished mostly through a comb-over and wolf-eye contact lenses. Which is a shame; Christoph Waltz seems like a lock to win for Inglourious Basterds, but goodwill for Streep’s performance in Julie & Julia might have spread over to Tucci, were he up for that role instead.

* Remember when Paramount was dangling Star Trek as a possible Best Picture contender? Yeah, me too. Now, I’m thinking District 9 has an outside chance at a nomination, and possibly a Cinematography nod as well – if enough voters could stand the squicky aliens and graphic battle sequences, that is.

* The Coen brothers will be all but ignored for A Serious Man, their best movie in a very long time. Best Original Screenplay, but that’ll be it. (Go on, voters, prove me wrong, I dare you!)

* That ought to get the conversation started. Meet me back here Tuesday morning to discuss the fallout from the actual nominations. Personally, I’m rooting for A Perfect Getaway to make a dark-horse sweep of the acting categories. Viva Steve Zahn!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:04 pm

http://lowresolution.blogspot.com/2010/01/lowres-2009-movie-awards-part-4-sights.html

Friday, January 29, 2010
LowRes 2009 Movie Awards: Part 4, The Sights, Sounds, Words, and Vision
My look back at the best of 2009 (and my semi-sad fantasia of If I Had an Oscar Ballot) continues with a look at the ensemble and supporting acting categories.

BEST DIRECTOR
Wes Anderson - Fantastic Mr. Fox
Kathryn Bigelow - The Hurt Locker
Cary Fukunaga - Sin Nombre
Spike Jonze - Where the Wild Things Are
Quentin Tarantino - Inglorious Basterds

I hesitate to get too far into these choices here before I discuss my Top 10 movies of the year, so let's talk about the people. I'm super crazy excited for the upcoming career of Cary Fukunaga, whose Sin Nombre suggested a grounded and empathetic filmmaker who isn't flashy but also doesn't just rely on bleak imagery either. (He's got a Jane Eyre adaptation in the works with Michael Fassbender attached; not to be confused with Fish Tank's Andrea Arnold and her Wuthering Heights adaptation with Michael Fassbender attached.)

(well, Michael's not attached to WH, but I wonder if he wishes he was now)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:06 am

http://gaypantechnicon.blogspot.com/2010/02/nipples-in-air.html

Monday, February 1, 2010

Best Animated Film

Coraline
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Ponyo
Up

Best Adapted Screenplay

Wes Anderson and Noah Baumbach, Fantastic Mr. Fox
Scott Burns, The Informant!
Geoffrey Fletcher, Precious
Jason Reitman and Sheldon Turner, Up in the Air
Spike Jonze and Dave Eggers, Where the Wild Things Are

Best Original Screenplay

Greg Mottola, Adventureland
Jane Campion, Bright Star
Joel and Ethan Coen, A Serious Man
Olivier Assayas, Summer Hours

Best Supporting Actor

Michael Fassbender, Inglourious Basterds
James Gandolfini, Where the Wild Things Are
Terence Howard, Fighting
Peter Sarsgaard, An Education

Best Supporting Actress (OK, I realize it's 6, but it must be this way.)

Juliette Binoche, Summer Hours
Mo'Nique, Precious
Samantha Morton, The Messenger
Catherine O'Hara, Where the Wild Things Are
Rachel Weisz, The Brothers Bloom

Best Actor

Matt Damon, The Informant!
Ben Foster, The Messenger
Sam Rockwell, Moon

Best Actress

Abbie Cornish, Bright Star
Julia Roberts, Duplicity
Meryl Streep, Julie and Julia
(This was an excellent year for supporting actresses, a s$#!-pile year for leading female roles. And I'm sorry, but Gabourey Sidibe, positively moving in her role, still did not convince me that she played to nuance like these other actors. And so I'm going to do the unthinkable, but pray God she doesn't win, and I'm breaking my own rule here because I haven't seen it, but...)
Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side

Best Director

Wes Anderson, Fantastic Mr. Fox
Spike Jonze, Where the Wild Things Are
Steven Soderbergh, The Informant!

Best Picture

District 9
Fantastic Mr. Fox
The Hurt Locker
The Informant!
Inglourious Basterds
Star Trek
Summer Hours
Up in the Air

Hahahaha! Tomorrow might look maybe 32% like this! So much for the fantasy suckle. It edified.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:10 am

http://ayearinfilm.blogspot.com/2010/02/disclaimer-coco-before-chanel-me-and.html

01 February 2010
Disclaimer: Coco before Chanel, Me and Orson Welles, and Nine, The White Ribbon

Best Live-Action Film (Feature-Length)
歩いても 歩いても (Still Walking)
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
The Messenger

Best Director
James Cameron, Avatar
Kore•eda Hirokazu, 歩いても 歩いても (Still Walking)

Best Actor
Ben Foster, The Messenger

Best Actress
Yolande Moreau, Séraphine
Robin Wright Penn, The Private Lives of Pippa Lee
Saoirse Ronan, The Lovely Bones
Meryl Streep; It's Complicated, Julie & Julia

Best Supporting Actor
Robert Duvall; Crazy Heart, The Road
Michael Fassbender; Fish Tank, Inglourious Basterds
Woody Harrelson, The Messenger
Stanley Tucci; Julie & Julia, The Lovely Bones

Best Supporting Actress
Kiki Kirin, 歩いても 歩いても (Still Walking)
Julianne Moore, A Single Man
Rosamund Pike, An Education
Blanca Portillo, Los Abrazos Rotos (Broken Embraces)

Best Art Direction
Jess Gonchor, A Serious Man
Philip Ivey, District 9
Nelson Lowry, Fantastic Mr. Fox
Mark Ricker, Julie & Julia
David Wasco, Inglourious Basterds

Best Cinematography
Bobby Bukowski, The Messenger
Greig Fraser, Bright Star
Robert Richardson, Inglourious Basterds
Robbie Ryan, Fish Tank
Yamasaki Yutaka, 歩いても 歩いても (Still Walking)

Best Costuming
Janet Patterson, Bright Star
Sandy Powell, The Young Victoria
Monique Prudhomme, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
Anna B. Sheppard, Inglourious Basterds
Casey Storm, Where the Wild Things Are

Best Make-Up
District 9
Sarah Monzani, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
A Serious Man
A Single Man
Star Trek

Best Visual Effects
District 9

Best Original Score
Michael Galasso, Séraphine
Michael Giacchino, Up
Marvin Hamlisch, The Informant!
Rolfe Kent, Up in the Air
Abel Korzeniowski with Shigeru Umebayashi, A Single Man

Best Original Song
"Hideaway" by Karen O. & the Kids, Where the Wild Things Are
"Sirens of the Sea" by Bruno Coulais, Michele Mariana, and Bernard Paganotti; Coraline
"Up in the Air" by Kevin Renick, Up in the Air
"The Weary Kind (Theme from Crazy Heart)" by Ryan Bingham and Joseph Henry 'T-Bone' Burnett, Crazy Heart
"You've Got Me Wrapped around Your Little Finger" by Beth Rowley & Ben Castle, An Education

Best Sound Editing
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
District 9
Paul N. J. Ottoson, The Hurt Locker
Up

Best Sound Mixing
Crazy Heart
District 9

Best Editing
James Cameron, John Refoua, & Stephen Rivkin, Avatar
Julian Clarke, District 9
Chris Innis & Bob Murawski, The Hurt Locker
Barney Pilling, An Education

Best Screenplay (Original)
Pedro Almodóvar, Los Abrazos Rotos (Broken Embraces)
Olivier Assayas, L'Heure d'Été (Summer Hours)
Mark Boal, The Hurt Locker

Best Screenplay (Adapted)
Wes Anderson & Noah Baumbach, Fantastic Mr. Fox
Jesse Armstrong, Simon Blackwell, Armando Iannucci, & Tony Roche; In the Loop
Neil Blomkamp & Terri Tatchell, District 9
Scott Cooper, Crazy Heart

Best Animated Film (Feature-Length)
Coraline
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Ponyo
Up

Best Animated Film (Short)
Partly Cloudy

Best Live-Action Film (Short)

Best Documentary Film (Feature-Length or Short)
The Beaches of Agnes
The Cove
Food, Inc.

Best Foreign-Language Film (Live Action or Animated, Feature-Length or Short)
Los Abrazos Rotos (Broken Embraces)
歩いても 歩いても (Still Walking)
L'Heure d'Été (Summer Hours)
赤壁 (Red Cliff)
Séraphine
Posted by R. at 10:54 PM
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:26 am

http://opalfilms.blogspot.com/2010/02/muriels-spring-2010-home-stretch.html

Tuesday, February 02, 2010
Muriels Spring 2010- The Home Stretch

Rating: hovering around 7-ish; need to see again.

And just for fun, I decided to try my hand at predicting the Muriels results. I made the following list below prior to receiving any ballots, but I wanted to delay posting it until everyone had voted. So, a propos of nothing, my predictions for this year’s Muriels.

Best Film:
1. Inglourious Basterds
2. Up
3. Fantastic Mr. Fox
4. The Hurt Locker
5. A Serious Man

Best Male Lead:
1. Jeremy Renner, The Hurt Locker
2. Michael Stuhlbarg, A Serious Man
3. George Clooney, Up in the Air
4. Michael Fassbender, Hunger
5. Matt Damon, The Informant!

Best Female Lead:
1. Melanie Laurent, Inglourious Basterds
2. Carey Mulligan, An Education
3. Tilda Swinton, Julia
4. Meryl Streep, Julie & Julia
5. Abbie Cornish, Bright Star

Best Male Supporting:
1. Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds
2. Peter Capaldi, In the Loop
3. Anthony Mackie, The Hurt Locker
4. Jackie Earle Haley, Watchmen
5. Jason Schwartzman, Fantastic Mr. Fox

Best Female Supporting:
1. Anna Kendrick, Up in the Air
2. Mo’Nique, Precious
3. Diane Kruger, Inglourious Basterds
4. Vera Farmiga, Up in the Air
5. Catherine Keener, Where the Wild Things Are

Best Director:
1. Quentin Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds
2. Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker
3. Joel and Ethan Coen, A Serious Man
4. Wes Anderson, Fantastic Mr. Fox
5. Spike Jonze, Where the Wild Things Are

Best Cinematic Moment:
1. Carl and Ellie grow old together, Up
2. Opening scene, Inglourious Basterds
3. Bobby meets the priest, Hunger
4. Ash’s triumphant “hotbox!”, Fantastic Mr. Fox
5. Meeting in a basement, Inglourious Basterds

Best Screenplay: Inglourious Basterds
Best Ensemble: Inglourious Basterds
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:31 am

http://pedxingproductions.blogspot.com/2010/02/sixth-annual-ped-xing-awards-nominees.html?zx=8f75a8d1e8e59e70

Tuesday, February 2, 2010
The Sixth Annual Ped Xing Awards - Nominees
It's that time again. The Oscars released their list of nominees, and with the exception of their exclusion of Star Trek and general shutting out of (500) Days of Summer, it's a good list. But here's mine.

NOTE: Like my previous years, this list is in no way final and is subject to change at any time. Yes, even if it is next year.

BEST PICTURE

(500) Days of Summer
An Education
Inglourious Basterds
Nine
Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire
Star Trek
The Hurt Locker
Up
Up in the Air

Previous winners: The Passion of the Christ, Brokeback Mountain, Children of Men, There Will Be Blood, The Dark Knight

BEST ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE:

Jeff Bridges for Crazy Heart
George Clooney for Up in the Air
Daniel Day-Lewis for Nine
Johnny Depp for Public Enemies
Robert Downey Jr. for Sherlock Holmes
Colin Firth for A Single Man
Morgan Freeman for Invictus
Chris Pine for Star Trek
Jeremy Renner for The Hurt Locker
Sam Worthington for Avatar

Previous winners: James Caviezel for The Passion of the Christ, Joaquin Phoenix for Walk the Line, Sacha Baron Cohen for Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan, Daniel Day-Lewis for There Will Be Blood, Sean Penn for Milk/Mickey Rourke for The Wrestler

BEST ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE

Amy Adams for Julie & Julia
Sandra Bullock for The Blind Side
Marion Cotillard for Public Enemies
Zooey Deschanel for (500) Days of Summer
Carey Mulligan for An Education
Saoirse Ronan for The Lovely Bones
Maya Rudolph for Away We Go
Zoe Saldana for Avatar
Gabourey Sidibe for Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire
Meryl Streep for Julie & Julia

Previous winners: Hilary Swank for Million Dollar Baby, Felicity Huffman for Transamerica, Helen Mirren for The Queen, Marion Cotillard for La Vie En Rose, Kate Winslet for Revolutionary Road

BEST ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Billy Crudup for Watchmen
Matt Damon for Invictus
Zach Galifianakis for The Hangover
Jackie Earle Haley for Watchmen
Jude Law for Sherlock Holmes
Christian McKay for Me and Orson Welles
Alfred Molina for An Education
Zachary Quinto for Star Trek
Stanley Tucci for The Lovely Bones
Christoph Waltz for Inglourious Basterds

Previous winners: Clive Owen for Closer, Clive Owen for Sin City, Eddie Murphy for Dreamgirls, Javier Bardem for No Country for Old Men, Heath Ledger for The Dark Knight

BEST ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Marion Cotillard for Nine
Penelope Cruz for Nine
Vera Farmiga for Up in the Air
Melanie Laurent for Inglourious Basterds
Anna Kendrick for Up in the Air
Diane Kruger for Inglourious Basterds
Mo'Nique for Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire
Zoe Saldana for Star Trek
Imelda Staunton for Taking Woodstock
Sigourney Weaver for Avatar

Previous winners: Maia Morgenstern for The Passion of the Christ, Rachel Weisz for The Constant Gardener, Jennifer Hudson for Dreamgirls, Cate Blanchett for I'm Not There, Penelope Cruz for Vicky Cristina Barcelona

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Woody Allen for Whatever Works
Judd Apatow for Funny People
Marc Boal for Avatar
Ethan Coen and Joel Coen for A Serious Man
Pete Docter and Bob Peterson for Up
Dave Eggers and Vendela Vida for Away We Go
Jon Lucas and Scott Moore for The Hangover
Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber for (500) Days of Summer
Quentin Tarantino for Inglourious Basterds

Previous winners: Pierre Bismuth; Michel Gondry and Charlie Kaufman for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Paul Haggis and Robert Moresco for Crash, Michael Arndt for Little Miss Sunshine, Diablo Cody for Juno, Andrew Stanton for WALL-E

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

Wes Anderson and Noah Baumbach for Fantastic Mr. Fox
Jesse Armstrong; Simon Blackwell; Armando Iannucci and Tony Roche for In the Loop
Ronan Bennett; Ann Biderman and Michael Mann for Public Enemies
Neill Blomkamp and Terri Tatchell for District 9
Philippa Boyens; Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh for The Lovely Bones
Geoffrey Fletcher for Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire
Nick Hornby for An Education
Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci for Star Trek
Jason Reitman and Sheldon Turner for Up in the Air
Henry Selick for Coraline

Previous winners: Patrick Marber for Closer, David S. Goyer and Christopher Nolan for Batman Begins, David Arata; Alfonso Cuaron; Mark Fergus; Hawk Otsby and Timothy J. Sexton for Children of Men, Paul Thomas Anderson for There Will Be Blood, Christopher Nolan and Jonathan Nolan for The Dark Knight

BEST DIRECTOR

J.J. Abrams for Star Trek
Kathryn Bigelow for The Hurt Locker
Neill Blomkamp for District 9
James Cameron for Avatar
Lee Daniels for Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire
Clint Eastwood for Invictus
Rob Marshall for Nine
Jason Reitman for Up in the Air
Lone Scherfig for An Education

Previous winners: Mel Gibson for The Passion of the Christ, Steven Spielberg for Munich, Martin Scorsese for The Departed, Ethan Coen and Joel Coen for No Country for Old Men, Christopher Nolan for The Dark Knight

BEST ENSEMBLE CAST

An Education - Dominic Cooper; Alfred Molina; Cary Mulligan; Rosamund Pike; Peter Sarsgaard; Cara Seymour; Olivia Williams
In the Loop - Chris Addison; Peter Capaldi; Anna Chlumsky; Enzo Cilenti; James Gandolfini; Paul Higgins; Tom Hollander; Mimi Kennedy; Alex Macqueen; Gina McKee; Johnny Pemberton; Olivia Poulet; David Rasche
Inglourious Basterds - Daniel Bruhl; Gedeon Burkhard; Omar Doom; Michael Fassbender; Jacky Ido; Diane Kruger; Melanie Laurent; B.J. Novak; Brad Pitt; Eli Roth; Til Schweiger; Christoph Waltz
Nine - Marion Cotillard; Penelope Cruz; Daniel Day-Lewis; Judi Dench; Fergie; Kate Hudson; Nicole Kidman; Sophia Loren
Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire - Mariah Carey; Lenny Kravitz; Gabourey Sidibe; Mo'Nique; Paula Patton
The Hurt Locker - Ralph Fiennes; Brian Geraghty; Evangeline Lilly; Anthony Mackie; David Morse; Guy Pearce; Jeremy Renner
The Lovely Bones - Rose McIver; Michael Imperioli; Saoirse Ronan; Susan Sarandon; Stanley Tucci; Mark Wahlberg; Rachel Weisz

Previous winners: Sideways - Thomas Haden Church; Paul Giamatti; Virginia Madsen; Sandra Oh
Sin City - Jessica Alba; Rosario Dawson; Clive Owen; Mickey Rourke; Nick Stahl; Benicio Del Toro; Bruce Willis; Elijah Wood
A Prairie Home Companion - Woody Harrelson; Tommy Lee Jones; Garrison Keillor; Kevin Kline; Lindsay Lohan; Virginia Madsen; John C. Reilly; Maya Rudolph; Meryl Streep; Lily Tomlin

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

An Education - John de Borman
District 9 - Trent Opaloch
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - Bruno Delbonnel
Inglourious Basterds - Robert Richardson
Nine - Dion Beebe
Public Enemies - Dante Spinotti
Sherlock Holmes - Philippe Rousselot
The Hurt Locker - Barry Ackroyd
The Lovely Bones - Andrew Lesnie

Previous winners: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - Eric Adkins, Memoirs of a Geisha - Dion Beebe, Children of Men - Emmanuel Lubezki, There Will Be Blood - Robert Elswit, Australia - Mandy Walker

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

District 9
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Land of the Lost
Star Trek
Terminator Salvation
The Lovely Bones
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Watchmen

Previous winners: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, King Kong, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, Transformers, Iron Man

BEST ART DIRECTION

Avatar - Rick Carter; Robert Stromberg; Nick Bassett; Robert Bavin; Simon Bright; Todd Cherniawsky; Jill Cormack; Stefan Dechant; Seth Engstrom; Sean Haworth; Kevin Ishioka; Andrew L. Jones; Andy McLaren; Andrew Menzies; Ben Procter; Kim Sinclair
Coraline - Henry Selick; Phil Brotherton; Lee Bo Henry; Tom Proost; Matt Sanders
District 9 - Philip Ivey; Emilia Roux; Guy Potgieter
Nine - John Myhre; Peter Findley; Phil Harvey; Simon Lamont; Gordon Sim
Public Enemies - Nathan Crowley; Patrick Lumb; William Ladd Skinner; Rosemary Brandenburg
Sherlock Holmes - Sarah Greenwood; James Foster; Nick Gottschalk; Matthew Gray; Niall Moroney; Katie Spencer
Star Trek - Scott Chambliss; Curt Beech; Dennis Bradford; Keith P. Cunningham; Luke Freeborn; Beat Frutiger; Gary Kosko; Karen Manthey
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus - Anastasia Masaro; Dan Hermansen; Denis Schnegg; Caroline Smith; Shane Vieau
The Lovely Bones - Naomi Shohan; Jules Cook; Chris Shriver; George DeTitta Jr.; Meg Everist
Watchmen - Alex McDowell; Francois Audouy; Helen Jarvis; James Steuart; Jim Erickson

Previous winners: Apocalypto - Roberto Bonelli, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street - Dante Feretti; Francesca Lo Schiavo, The Fall - Lisa Hart; Ricardo Puggliese; Cynthia Sleiter

BEST MAKEUP

Drag Me to Hell - Susan Stephanian
Star Trek - Mindy Hall
The Road - Mandi Crane; Deborah Patino; Sherri Simmons
The Soloist - Robert Maverick
Watchmen - Emanuela Daus
Zombieland - Rachel Kick

Previous winner: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Ulla Aricayos; Jean Ann Black; Carla Brenholtz; Theresa A. Fleming; Allison Gordon; Stacey Herbert; Yolanda Mercadel; Donita Miller; Elaine L. Offers; Susan 'Star' Orr; Paige Reeves; Donna Spahn

BEST COSTUME DESIGN

An Education - Odile Dicks-Mireaux
Bruno - Jason Alper
Nine - Colleen Atwood
Sherlock Holmes - Jenny Beavan; Melissa Meister
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus - Monique Prudhomme

Previous winner: The Fall - Eiko Ishioka

BEST FILM EDITING

Alan Edward Bell - (500) Days of Summer
Maryann Brandon; Mary Jo Markey - Star Trek
James Cameron; John Refoua; Stephen Rifkin - Avatar
Jeffrey Ford; Paul Rubell - Public Enemies
Dana E. Glauberman - Up in the Air
William Hoy - Watchmen
Chris Innis; Bob Murawski - The Hurt Locker
Jabez Olssen - The Lovely Bones
Oren Peli - Paranormal Activity
Claire Simpson; Wyatt Smith - Nine

Previous winner: Chris Dickens - Slumdog Millionaire

BEST ORIGINAL SONG

"(I Want To) Come Home" - Paul McCartney - Everybody's Fine
"All Is Love" - Karen O.; Nick Zinner - Where the Wild Things Are
"Almost There" - Randy Newman - The Princess and the Frog
"Cinema Italiano" - Maury Yeston - Nine
"Dove of Peace" - Sacha Baron Cohen; Erran Beron Cohen - Bruno
"Hoedown Throwdown" - Adam Anders; Nikki Hassman - Hannah Montana: The Movie
"I See You" - James Horner; Siman Franglen; Kuk Harrell - Avatar
"The Weary Kind" - T-Bone Burnett; Ryan Bingham - Crazy Heart'

Previous winners: "Remember Me" - James Horner; Cynthia Weil - Troy
"It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" - Paul Beauregard; Cedric Coleman; Jordan Houstan - Hustle & Flow
"You Know My Name" - David Arnold; Chris Cornell - Casino Royale
"Falling Slowly" - Glen Hansard; Marketa Irglova - Once
"The Wrestler" - Bruce Springsteen - The Wrestler

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

Carter Burwell; Karen O. - Where the Wild Things Are
Bruno Coulais; They Might Be Giants - Coraline
Kyle Eastwood; Michael Stevens - Invictus
Michael Giacchino - Star Trek
Michael Giacchino - Up
Elliot Goldenthal - Public Enemies
Reinhold Heil; Johnny Klimek; Tom Tykwer - The International
Nicholas Hooper - Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
James Horner - Avatar
Hans Zimmer - Sherlock Holmes

Previous winners: John Debney - The Passion of the Christ, Gustavo Santaolalla - Brokeback Mountain, Javier Navarette - Pan's Labyrinth, Jonny Greenwood - There Will Be Blood, Thomas Newman - WALL-E

BEST CHOREOGRAPHY - DANCE

(500) Days of Summer - Michael Rooney
Hannah Montana: The Movie - Jamal Sims
Nine - John DeLuca; Denise Faye; Tara Nicole Hughes; Rob Marshall

Previous winners: Hairspray - Adam Shankman, High School Musical 3: Senior Year - Charles Klapow; Kenny Ortega; Bonnie Story

BEST CHOREOGRAPHY - FIGHT

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra - R.A. Rondell; Marcus Young; Keith Woullard
Ninja Assassin - Jonathan Eusebio; Richard King; Chad Stahelski; John Valera; Peng Zhang
Star Trek - Robert Alonzo
Taken - Olivier Schneider
Watchmen - Damon Caro; Richard Cetrone; Metthew Rugetti

Previous winners: 300 - Damon Caro; Chad Stahelski, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Ben Cooke

BEST SOUND

District 9
Inglourious Basterds
Nine
Paranormal Activity
Star Trek
The Hurt Locker
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Watchmen

Previous winner: WALL-E

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

Ponyo - Hayao Miyazaki
Sin Nombre - Cary Fukunaga
The White Ribbon - Michael Haneke

Previous winners: The Passion of the Christ - Mel Gibson, Oldboy - Chan-wook Park, Letters from Iwo Jima - Clint Eastwood, Lust, Caution - Ang Lee, Let the Right One In - Tomas Alfredson

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

A Christmas Carol - Robert Zemeckis
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs - Phil Lord; Chris Miller
Coraline - Henry Selick
Fantastic Mr. Fox - Wes Anderson
Ponyo - Hayao Miyazaki
The Princess and the Frog - Ron Clements; John Musker
Up - Pete Docter

Previous winners: The Incredibles - Brad Bird, Howl's Moving Castle - Hayao Miyazaki, Happy Feet - George Miller; Warren Coleman; Judy Morris, Ratatouille - Brad Bird, WALL-E - Andrew Stanton

BEST DOCUMENTARY

Capitalism: A Love Story - Michael Moore
Crude - Joe Berlinger
The Cove - Louie Psihoyos
This Is It - Kenny Ortega

Previous winners: Grizzly Man - Werner Herzog, An Inconvenient Truth - Davis Guggenheim, Sicko - Michael Moore, Religulous - Larry Charles
Posted by PedXingProductions at 12:05 PM
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:34 am

http://thesomanyterritories.blogspot.com/2010/02/if-i-chose-nominees.html

Tuesday, February 2, 2010
If I chose the nominees
Given my frustration with the nominations this year, I'm just going to go ahead and give my picks for the major awards

BEST ACTRESS

Abbie Cornish - Bright Star
Gabourey Sidibe - Precious
Charlotte Gainsbourg - Antichrist
Penelope Cruz - Broken Embraces
Carey Mulligan - An Education

BEST ACTOR

Ben Whishaw - Bright Star
Sharlto Copley - District 9
Jeremy Renner - The Hurt Locker
Christoph Waltz - Inglourious Basterds
Willem Defoe - Antichrist

SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Mo'Nique - Precious
Blanca Portillo - Broken Embraces
Olivia Williams - An Education
Anna Kendrick - Up in the Air
Melanie Laurent - Inglourious Basterds

SUPPORTING ACTOR

Michael Fassbender - Inglourious Basterds
Alfred Molina - An Education
Daniel Bruhl - Inglourious Basterds
Paul Schneider - Bright Star
Jackie Earle Hayley - Watchmen

BEST DIRECTOR

Kathryn Bigelow - The Hurt Locker
Jane Campion - Bright Star
Quentin Tarantino - Inglourious Basterds
Neill Blomkamp - District 9
Pedro Almodovar - Broken Embraces

BEST PICTURE

Inglourious Basterds
Broken Embraces
Bright Star
The Hurt Locker
An Education
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:35 am

http://charliehobart.blogspot.com/2010/02/ignored-and-dismissed.html

Tuesday, February 02, 2010
Ignored and Dismissed
The Academy Awards are a joke, of course; a popularity contest akin to a high school homecoming court selection. This isn't news. But I always enjoy seeing how far off-the-mark the voters are in their dissmisal of some of the year's best, which include the following terrific films:

Two Lovers (Joaquin Phoenix's finest hour, perhaps the year's best performance)
Harvard Beats Yale 29-29 (The best sports film I've ever seen; yes, it's a documentary)
Bright Star (The ultimate injustice; how on Earth could anyone ignore Abbie Cornish and Paul Schneider's brilliant performances? Not to mention Jane Campion's exquisite direction and Grieg Fraser's cinematography??)
Public Enemies (No nomination for Marion Cotillard? A pox on your houses!)
Star Trek (Great fun. With 10 best picture noms this year, why the hell couldn't they include the year's most exciting sci-fi adventure? Yes, it's better than Avatar)
Hunger (Michael Fassbender rules. He's was great as Archie Hicox in Inglourious Basterds, too)
35 Shots of Run (Claire Denis' finest film. Wait, 'Who is Claire Denis?' you ask? Well I'm not going to tell you. Just go back to watching The Blind Side and leave me alone.)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:52 am

http://incontention.com/?p=21842

My dream ballot: part two
Posted by Guy Lodge · 3:21 pm · February 1st, 2010

Charlotte Gainsbourg in AntichristYesterday, I began my far-fetched wishlist of nominees for tomorrow’s announcement with a look at the technical categories. Today we move into the big races. And as much as I thought I had my favorites clearly mapped out in my head, a rundown of the eligible titles made for some very crowded races indeed.

Once again, I’ve mostly played by the Academy’s own criteria, considering only U.S. releases from 2009 — hence the slight discrepancy with my Top 10 from December. But where certain titles seemingly never made it through the administrative red tape guarding Oscar eligibility, I’ve intervened on their behalf. (Films as good as “Summer Hours” can’t go unmentioned, after all.)

Check out my picks after the cut, and share your own last-minute thoughts and hopes in the comments. My final predictions are coming shortly.

Best Picture
“Antichrist”
“Bright Star”
“Disgrace”
“The Hurt Locker”
“Mary and Max”
“Public Enemies”
“Sugar”
“Summer Hours”
“35 Shots of Rum”
“Where the Wild Things Are”

Well, the Academy has gone up to 10, so I may as well play along. Doesn’t increase the likelihood of a match between my lineup and the Academy’s, however — only one film here will show up tomorrow morning, but I’ve made my piece with that. I discussed these choices in greater detail in my Top 10 of 2009 list.

Best Director
Lars von Trier, “Antichrist”
Jane Campion, “Bright Star”
Kathryn Bigelow, “The Hurt Locker”
Claire Denis, “35 Shots of Rum”
Spike Jonze, “Where the Wild Things Are”

Honestly, I’m not forcing the gender issue, but the heartening truth is that by sheer coincidence, three of the year’s most striking directorial visions came from long-serving female directors on top form. Best of all, they couldn’t be more distinct or diverse: Bigelow’s urgent, tightly wound helming style is a million miles from the more ruminative delights of Denis’s storytelling, while Campion revisited thematic territory from earlier in her career with renewed clarity and compassion. Bookending this trio are two iconoclasts at their most playful: Jonze finally finding his heart, and von Trier spilling his in messily compelling fashion.

Best Actor
Matt Damon, “The Informant!”
John Malkovich, “Disgrace”
Max Records, “Where the Wild Things Are”
Jeremy Renner, “The Hurt Locker”
Christoph Waltz, “Inglourious Basterds”

A really stacked category this year, so apologies upfront to Colin Firth, Joaquin Phoenix and Willem Dafoe, all of whom are equally worthy of notice. The five I have chosen, however, represent a range of actors at vastly differing stages in their careers all giving the performances of their lives — no small statement when it comes to Malkovich, whose stunningly precise detailing of the emotional self-destruction of an Afrikaner academic is the year’s great lost contender. Damon, meanwhile, unexpectedly found his stride in neurotic comedy. Records’ appreciably tricky human anchoring of a fantasy and Renner’s cool, calm shouldering of “The Hurt Locker” represented two very different breakthroughs, but no actor announced himself louder in 2009 than Waltz, controlling an unruly film with serene menace and a gleeful dose of camp.

Best Actress
Abbie Cornish, “Bright Star”
Charlotte Gainsbourg, “Antichrist”
Jessica Haines, “Disgrace”
Carey Mulligan, “An Education”
Tilda Swinton, “Julia”

Nothing has irritated me more this season than the constant chorus that 2009 was “a weak year for actresses,” as pundits, critics and voters alike obstinately buried their heads in the sand to avoid noting some of the year’s most challenging performances. That Swinton and Gainsbourg’s ferocious actorly bravado in “difficult” vehicles went unnoticed is sad but predictable; more surprising is the lack of attention afforded to Cornish, whose youthful candor lends “Bright Star” its sharp edge. South African actress Jessica Haines made the year’s most impressive debut, but no one noticed; happily, fewer critics were caught napping on Carey Mulligan’s beguiling breakthrough. Also marvelous and unsung: Catalina Saavedra, Michelle Pfeiffer and Brenda Blethyn.

Best Supporting Actor
Michael Fassbender, “Inglourious Basterds”
Rupert Friend, “The Young Victoria”
James Gandolfini, “Where the Wild Things Are”
Brian Geraghty, “The Hurt Locker”
Anthony Mackie, “The Hurt Locker”

Many of these performances have been unfairly overshadowed all season by the work of their co-stars. While it’s perhaps understandable that the dry wit and studied poise of Fassbender’s character sketch in “Inglourious Basterds” would be elbowed out of the spotlight by the meatier turn of Christoph Waltz, poor Rupert Friend has had to stand back and watch several precursor mentions go to the actress from whom he quietly stole every scene. If Anthony Mackie’s sternly conscientious presence in “The Hurt Locker” has received less than its due this season, Brian Geraghty’s more openly vulnerable turn has, sadly, been bypassed entirely. Finally, Gandolfini’s tender, tortured monster proves an actor need not be physically present to reach you. Narrowly missing the cut: Stanley Tucci in “Julie & Julia.”
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:08 pm

http://omgfridge.blogspot.com/2010/02/2009-awards.html

Wednesday, February 3, 2010
2009 Awards
Top 10 Films
Inglourious Basterds
The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans
A Serious Man
District 9
Up in the Air
The Hurt Locker
The Road
Up
Moon

Best Actor
Nicolas Cage for The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans
George Clooney for Up in the Air
Robert Downey Jr. for Sherlock Holmes
Morgan Freeman for Invictus
Viggo Mortensen for The Road
Jeremy Renner for The Hurt Locker

Best Actress
Katie Jarvis for Fish Tank
Saoirse Ronan for The Lovely Bones
Zooey Deschanel for (500) Days of Summer
Alison Lohman for Drag Me to Hell
Zoe Saldana for Avatar
Meryl Streep for Julie & Julia

Best Supporting Actor
Jim Broadbent for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Michael Fassbender for Fish Tank
Woody Harrelson for The Messenger
Jude Law for Sherlock Holmes
Stanley Tucci for The Lovely Bones
Christoph Waltz for Inglourious Basterds

Best Supporting Actress
Marion Cotillard for Nine
Penélope Cruz for Nine
Vera Farmiga for Up in the Air
Anna Kendrick for Up in the Air
Diane Kruger for Inglourious Basterds
Melanie Laurent for Inglourious Basterds

Best Director
Kathryn Bigelow for The Hurt Locker
Neill Blomkamp for District 9
James Cameron for Avatar
Werner Herzog for The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans
Spike Jonze for Where the Wild Things Are

Best Cinematography
The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans
The Battle of Red Cliff
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Inglourious Basterds
The Road

Best Original Screenplay
(500) Days of Summer; Scott Neustadter, Michael H. Weber
Big Fan; Robert D. Siegel
The Hurt Locker; Mark Boal
Inglourious Basterds; Quentin Tarantino
A Serious Man; Joel Coen, Ethan Coen
Up; Bob Peterson, Pete Docter, Thomas McCarthy

Best Adapted Screenplay
The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans; William M. Finkelstein
District 9; Neill Blomkamp, Terri Tatchell
Fantastic Mr. Fox; Wes Anderson, Noah Baumback, Roald Dahl
Up in the Air; Jason Reitman, Sheldon Turner
Watchmen; David Hayter, Alan Moore, Alex Tse, Dave Gibbons
Where the Wild Things Are; Spike Jonze, Dave Eggers

Best Editing
District 9
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Moon
A Serious Man

Best Animated Film
Coraline
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Up

Best Documentary
Anvil! The Story of Anvil
The Cove
Tyson

Best Visual Effects
District 9
Star Trek

Best Costume Design
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
Nine
Watchmen

Best Original Score
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Moon

Best Sound Design
Inglourious Basterds
Up
Posted by OMGFridge at 10:01 AM
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:42 am

http://theinsneider.blogspot.com/2010/01/if-i-had-oscar-ballot.html

2010 Oscar Predictions

* BEST PICTURE
* The Blind Side
* District 9
* An Education
* The Hurt Locker
* Inglourious Basterds
* Precious
* Star Trek
* Up
* Up in the Air

Friday, January 8, 2010
If I Had An OSCAR Ballot...
...It would look something like this. Please keep in mind that while I loved certain movies (like ANVIL! and HUMPDAY, which were two of the top-10 movies of 2009 in my humble opinion) there's no way I could legitimately vote for them for Best Picture. These have to be SOMEWHAT realistic choices, otherwise there would be no point to this exercise. Also, I have abstained from voting in categories which I am ill-informed about (like Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Art Direction, Makeup, Original Song) or could not find five choices for due to my lack of familiarity with the possible nominees (Foreign Language, all shorts categories). Feel free to show off your own Oscar ballot in the comments section below, and thanks in advance for reading. I hope you enjoy my picks.

Note: An asterisk (*) denotes my vote to WIN.

BEST PICTURE

(500) Days of Summer
Capitalism: A Love Story
The Cove
The Hurt Locker*
Inglourious Basterds
A Single Man
Sugar
Up in the Air

BEST DIRECTOR

Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker*
James Cameron, Avatar
Tom Ford, A Single Man

BEST ACTOR

Colin Firth, A Single Man*
Adam Sandler, Funny People
Robin Williams, World's Greatest Dad

BEST ACTRESS

Katie Jarvis, Fish Tank
Maya Rudolph, Away We Go
Zoe Saldana, Avatar
Gabourey Sidibe, Precious*

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Michael Fassbender, Fish Tank
Jamie Foxx, The Soloist
Anthony Mackie, The Hurt Locker
Stanley Tucci, The Lovely Bones
Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds*

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Marion Cotillard, Nine/Public Enemies
Melanie Laurent, Inglourious Basterds
Mo'Nique, Precious*

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

(500) Days of Summer
Away We Go
Humpday
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds*

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

An Education
In the Loop
A Single Man*
Up in the Air

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

Coraline
Fantastic Mr. Fox*
Up

BEST DOCUMENTARY

Anvil! The Story of Anvil*
Capitalism: A Love Story
Collapse
The Cove
More Than a Game

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
A Single Man*
The White Ribbon

BEST EDITING

(500) Days of Summer
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Star Trek*
Up in the Air

BEST COSTUME DESIGN

Inglourious Basterds*
Nine
A Single Man
Watchmen

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

The Hurt Locker
The Informant!
A Single Man*
Star Trek
Up

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

Star Trek
Watchmen

BEST ENSEMBLE (not an actual award)

Fish Tank
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds*
In the Loop
The White Ribbon

FINAL TALLY (out of 16):

Inglourious Basterds - 4 (Supp. Actor, Original Screenplay, Costume Design, Ensemble)
A Single Man - 4 (Actor, Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography, Score)
The Hurt Locker - 2 (Picture, Director)
Precious - 2 (Actress, Supp. Actress)
Anvil! The Story of Anvil - 1 (Documentary)
Fantastic Mr. Fox - 1 (Animated Feature)
Star Trek - 1 (Editing)
Posted by The InSneider at 3:56 PM
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:41 pm

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thelostboy/archives/my_2010_film_awards..._11_months_too_soon/

My 2010 Film Awards… 11 Months Too Soon

So yesterday I wrote a story on indieWIRE that relayed Oscar possibilities for next year via thoughts on some films I saw last week at Sundance. And it got me thinking about the dozen or so 2010 theatrical releases I’ve already seen, whether at Sundance or at various festivals last year. True to my list geek nature, this thought process resulted in coming up with what my 2010 personal award choices would look like if they only included the films I’ve already seen. And, frankly, it was no struggle to come up with a very worthy batch of awards, particularly in the “best actress” category, where I couldn’t even narrow it down to 5 for the life of me. Instead I deicded to just include the 10 fabulous female performances that should make any list making impossible come December considering how many 2010 films (97% of them?) I’ve yet to even see. There’s already no filler there: From “I Killed My Mother”‘s Anne Dorval to “I Am Love”‘s Tilda Swinton to “The Kids Are All Right” duo of Bening and Moore, these are all performances worthy of awards attention.

While its doubtful a lot of these will end up in the actual awards mix come a year from now (though one can dream), I suspect a lot of them will in fact end up on my personal best of. It’s looking to be quite the year for film, and another fantastic year for cinematic women (half of my current top ten is female-helmed):

2010 Top Ten
1. I Am Love
2. A Prophet
3. The Kids Are All Right
4. Everyone Else
5. Please Give
6. I Killed My Mother
7. Cyrus
8. Fish Tank
9. Blue Valentine
10. Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work

Director:
Maren Ade, Everyone Else
Jacques Audiard, A Prophet
Lisa Cholochenko, The Kids Are All Right
Luca Guadagnino, I Am Love
Nicole Holofcener, Please Give

Actor:
Xavier Dolan, I Killed My Mother
Robert Duvall, Get Low
Ryan Gosling, Blue Valentine
John C. Reilly, Cyrus
Tamir Rahim, A Prophet

Actress:
Annette Bening, The Kids Are All Right
Anne Dorval, I Killed My Mother
Katie Jarvis, Fish Tank
Catherine Keener, Please Give
Giovanna Mezzogiorno, Vincere
Birgit Minichmayr, Everyone Else
Jennifer Lawrence, Winter’s Bone
Julianne Moore, The Kids Are All Right
Tilda Swinton, I Am Love
Michelle Williams, Blue Valentine

Best Supporting Actor:
Adel Bencherif, A Prophet
Michael Fassbender, Fish Tank
Jonah Hill, Cyrus
Bill Murray, Get Low
Mark Ruffalo, The Kids Are All Right

Best Supporting Actress:
Ann Morgan Guilbert, Please Give
Rebecca Hall, Please Give
Marisa Tomei, Cyrus
Mia Wasikowska, The Kids Are All Right
Kierston Wareing, Fish Tank
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilar Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:47 am

I wonder if Michael is going to make it to the awards. I highly doubt it but I'll be keeping a close eye out for him anyways with my fellow JJ'ers. This is the first Oscar night I'll be watching in years.
Pilar
Pilar
Azazeal's Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:17 am

JJer's? Just Jared?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:23 pm

http://shadesofcaruso.wordpress.com/2010/02/07/new-poll-overlooked-oscar-worthies/

New Poll: Overlooked Oscar-Worthies

Aaaaaaand, I’m back…

So yeah, the Oscars. An interesting set of nominations, and an even more interesting set of frontrunners. It looks like The Hurt Locker could well win more than just a cursory nod for being a good movie while a series of empty but worthy feel-good movies sweep the boards, which is thrilling. Though my favourite direction of the year was Tarantino’s masterly handling of Inglourious Basterds, I’m 100% rooting for Bigelow, as much as for a career of challenging, distinctive, and superbly well-made movies as for her work on The Hurt Locker. There’s a very good chance she will win. There will be much rejoicing Chez SoC if she gets it.

Even more amazing were the nominations for District 9 (Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Picture: the latter something I would never have predicted in a million years) and In The Loop. That nomination for Best Adapted Screenplay is the most surprising one of all: who would think something as profane, complex and challenging would get noticed by the Academy? It’s so exciting that I temporarily didn’t care about all of the awful writing nominations, by which I mean all of the clangingly obvious writing on Precious, An Education, and Up In The Air (to a lesser extent).

I’m really quite serious when I say that this year’s most universally loathed screenplay (James Cameron’s Avatar) struck me as less clunky than Precious and An Education, but because those movies are TERRIBLY SERIOUS they get a free pass whereas hating on Avatar for not being more sophisticated is the go-to criticism cynics trot out when trying to explain why they were immune to its appeal. I’m certainly not saying Cameron’s writing has some hidden nuance: it’s an efficient engine with almost no nuance or poetry. Nevertheless, it has enough energy to distinguish it from any number of dreary plotting-by-numbers efforts in respectable movies, where characters regularly give little speeches to tell the audience what they are thinking.

Anyway, that’s what my brane says. It also says that odd perfect nomination doesn’t really make up for some of the most egregious snubs, of which there were many. Last year I did this same poll, with the result that SoC readers voted overwhelmingly for Robert Downey Jr.’s Iron Man Best Actor snub, though hey, at least he got a Supporting Actor nomination, and a Best Actor Golden Globe for his outrageously entertaining take on Sherlock Holmes. And so, in 2010, I return to this poll format and ask you, dear reader, to take your pick of what I consider to be the most egregious snubs this year.

* Best Picture: In The Loop
* Best Director: Jacques Audiard – A Prophet
* Best Actor: Hott Sam Rockwell – Moon
* Best Supporting Actor: Michael Fassbender – Inglourious Basterds
* Best Actress: Charlotte Gainsbourg – Antichrist
* Best Supporting Actress: Melanie Laurent – Inglourious Basterds
* Best Cinematography: Anthony Dod Mantle – Antichrist
* Best Costume Design: Jim Henson’s Creature Shop – Where The Wild Things Are
* Best Original Score: Elliot Goldenthal – Public Enemies
* Best Visual Effects: 2012
* Best Writing – Adapted Screenplay: Scott Z. Burns – The Informant!
* Best Writing – Original Screenplay: Greg Mottola – Adventureland
* Best Animated Feature: Ponyo on a Cliff By The Sea

Once I stop faffing around with PollDaddy’s coding, the poll should settle down, and I invite you to choose which one you agree with most.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:50 pm

http://julianstark-moviesandotherthings.blogspot.com/2010/02/2009-movies-and-other-things-awards_22.html

Monday, February 22, 2010
2009 Movies and Other Things Awards: The Shortlists
The shortlisting period is over! But before checking out the shortlists (those are after the jump), check out the rules for nominating. Ballots for the nominating process are due next Sunday (the day of the Oscars!); you will have until midnight on that night to send in your votes

GENERAL RULES
1. VOTE FOR AS MANY (OR AS FEW) CATEGORIES AS YOU'D LIKE.
2. YOU CAN VOTE EVEN IF YOU TOOK NO PART IN THE SHORTLISTING PROCESS

NOMINATING FOR BEST PICTURE...

1. YOU CAN VOTE FOR HOWEVER MANY FILMS YOU'D LIKE, AS LONG AS YOU VOTE FOR NO MORE THAN TEN FILMS
2. SEND THEM IN THE ORDER OF PREFERENCE
3. SEND THEM TO MY EMAIL OR FACEBOOK. FACEBOOK MIGHT BE A BETTER OPTION, SINCE EMAIL DIDN'T WORK FOR SOME PEOPLE IN THE SHORTLISTING PERIOD

AND EVERYTHING ELSE...

1. YOU CAN VOTE FOR HOWEVER MANY CONTENDERS YOU'D LIKE, AS LONG AS YOU VOTE FOR NO MORE THAN FIVE IN EACH CATEGORY
2. SEND THEM IN THE ORDER OF PREFERENCE
3. SEND THEM TO MY EMAIL OR FACEBOOK. FACEBOOK MIGHT BE A BETTER OPTION, SINCE EMAIL DIDN'T WORK FOR SOME PEOPLE IN THE SHORTLISTING PERIOD

Now that we have all of that taken care of, check out the shortlists below! We had some ties for last place in some categories... hopefully that won't be a problem when we get to the actual nominees!

BEST PICTURE
1. (500) Days of Summer
2. Antichrist
3. Avatar
4. Bright Star
5. Broken Embraces
6. An Education
7. The Hurt Locker
8. Inglourious Basterds
9. Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire
10. A Serious Man
11. A Single Man
12. Still Walking
13. Up
14. Up in the Air
15. Where the Wild Things Are

BEST DIRECTOR
1. Kathryn Bigelow (The Hurt Locker)
2. James Cameron (Avatar)
3. Lee Daniels (Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire)
4. Tom Ford (A Single Man)
5. Spike Jonze (Where the Wild Things Are)
6. Jason Reitman (Up in the Air)
7. Lone Scherfig (An Education)
8. Quentin Tarantino (Inglourious Basterds)
9. Lars von Trier (Antichrist)
10. Marc Webb ((500) Days of Summer)

BEST PERFORMANCE BY A CAST IN A MOTION PICTURE
1. 35 Shots of Rum
2. An Education
3. Fish Tank
4. The Hurt Locker
5. In the Loop
6. Inglourious Basterds
7. The Messenger
8. Nine
9. Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire
10. Up in the Air
11. Watchmen
12. Whip It

BEST ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
1. Jeff Bridges (Crazy Heart)
2. Nicolas Cage (Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans)
3. George Clooney (Up in the Air)
4. Sharlto Copley (District 9)
5. Robert Downey, Jr. (Sherlock Holmes)
6. Robert Downey, Jr. (The Soloist)
7. Michael Fassbender (Hunger)
8. Colin Firth (A Single Man)
9. Ben Foster (The Messenger)
10. Joseph Gordon-Levitt ((500) Days of Summer)
11. Viggo Mortensen (The Road)
12. Max Records (Where the Wild Things Are)
13. Jeremy Renner (The Hurt Locker)

BEST ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
1. Sandra Bullock (The Blind Side)
2. Abbie Cornish (Bright Star)
3. Penelope Cruz (Broken Embraces)
4. Zooey Deschanel ((500) Days of Summer)
5. Charlotte Gainsbourg (Antichrist)
6. Carey Mulligan (An Education)
7. Zoe Saldana (Avatar)
8. Gabourey Sidibe (Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire)
9. Meryl Streep (Julie and Julia)
10. Tilda Swinton (Julia)

BEST ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
1. Jackie Earle Haley (Watchmen)
2. Woody Harrelson (The Messenger)
3. Jude Law (Sherlock Holmes)
4. Anthony Mackie (The Hurt Locker)
5. Alfred Molina (An Education)
6. Jeffrey Dean Morgan (Watchmen)
7. Stanley Tucci (Julie and Julia)
8. Stanley Tucci (The Lovely Bones)
9. Paul Schneider (Bright Star)
10. Christoph Waltz (Inglourious Basterds)

BEST ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
1. Marion Cotillard (Public Enemies)
2. Vera Farmiga (Up in the Air)
3. Anna Kendrick (Up in the Air)
4. Diane Kruger (Inglourious Basterds)
5. Melanie Laurent (Inglourious Basterds)
6. Mo'Nique (Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire)
7. Julianne Moore (A Single Man)
8. Samantha Morton (The Messenger)
9. Paula Patton (Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire)
10. Kristen Stewart (Adventureland)

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
1. 35 Shots of Rum
2. (500) Days of Summer
3. Adventureland
4. Bright Star
5. The Hangover
6. The Hurt Locker
7. Inglourious Basterds
8. Mary and Max
9. Moon
10. A Serious Man
11. Up

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
1. District 9
2. An Education
3. Fantastic Mr. Fox
4. Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire
5. A Single Man
6. Star Trek
7. Up in the Air
8. Watchmen
9. Where the Wild Things Are
10. Whip It

BEST ART DIRECTION
1. Bright Star
2. Cheri
3. Coraline
4. An Education
5. Fantastic Mr. Fox
6. Inglourious Basterds
7. A Serious Man
8. Sherlock Holmes
9. A Single Man
10. Where the Wild Things Are
11. The White Ribbon

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
1. Antichrist
2. Bright Star
3. The House of the Devil
4. Inglourious Basterds
5. Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire
6. Sherlock Holmes
7. A Single Man
8. The Soloist
9. Where the Wild Things Are
10. The White Ribbon

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
1. Bright Star
2. Cheri
3. Coco Before Chanel
4. An Education
5. The House of the Devil
6. The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
7. Inglourious Basterds
8. Nine
9. Sherlock Holmes
10. The Young Victoria

BEST FILM EDITING
1. Antichrist
2. Avatar
3. District 9
4. The Hurt Locker
5. Inglourious Basterds
6. Sherlock Holmes
7. A Single Man
8. Star Trek
9. Up

BEST SOUND EDITING
1. Avatar
2. Coraline
3. District 9
4. Fantastic Mr. Fox
5. The Hurt Locker
6. Inglourious Basterds
7. Sherlock Holmes
8. Star Trek
9. Thirst
10. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
11. Up

BEST SOUND MIXING
1. Avatar
2. Coraline
3. District 9
4. Fantastic Mr. Fox
5. The Hurt Locker
6. Inglourious Basterds
7. Sherlock Holmes
8. Star Trek
9. Thirst
10. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
11. Up

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
1. 2012
2. Avatar
3. Coraline
4. District 9
5. Fantastic Mr. Fox
6. Mary and Max
7. Sherlock Holmes
8. Star Trek
9. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
10. Watchmen

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
1. Avatar
2. Bright Star
3. An Education
4. Fantastic Mr. Fox
5. The Princess and the Frog
6. Sherlock Holmes
7. A Single Man
8. The Soloist
9. The Twilight Saga: New Moon

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
1. 9000 Days (Invictus; performed by Overtone and Yollande Nortjie)
2. All is Love (Where the Wild Things Are; performed by Karen O. and the Kids)
3. Cinema Italiano (Nine; performed by Kate Hudson)
4. Colorblind (Invictus; performed by Overtone)
5. Hideaway (Where the Wild Things Are; performed by Karen O. and the Kids)
6. I Can See in Color (Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire; performed by Mary J. Blige)
7. Smoke Without Fire (An Education; performed by Duffy)
8. Someone to Fall Back On (Bandslam; performed by I Can't Go On, I Won't Go On and Aly Michalka)
9. The Weary Kind (Crazy Heart; performed by Ryan Bingham)
10. You've Got Me Wrapped Around Your Little Finger (An Education; performed by Beth Rowley)
Posted by Julian Stark at 4:18 PM
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:18 pm

http://media.www.ulmhawkeye.com/media/storage/paper224/news/2010/03/01/Freestyle/Five-More.Slots.And.The.Oscars.Are.Still.Boring-3881887.shtml

Five More Slots and the Oscars are Still Boring
Zachary Parker
Issue date: 3/1/10 Section: Freestyle

When the nominee slots for the Best Picture Oscar were expanded from five to ten, it seemed like an appropriate opportunity to include other lesser-known films including both the more creative entertainment (500 Days of Summer), films more conscious of their aesthetic (Bright Star) and, more importantly, those belonging to the art-house tradition (Two Lovers, Hunger). However, the Best Picture nominees for 2010 resemble much of what we've seen nominated before: crowd-pleasers posing as cinematic masterpieces with only some critical support. Enter films like Avatar and The Blind Side, ones more valued by audiences for their generic appeal rather than cinematic value. Avatar belongs in the Visual Effects category, and The Blind Side in the Best Actress category, but why these films with the majority of the other Best Picture nominees were placed seems to have more to do with drawing a wider audience and increasing the ratings of a failing television event than any artistic principles. The Coen Brothers's newest and best film, A Serious Man, and Neill Blomkamp's science fiction thriller/morality tale, District 9, provided the only surprises in the Best Picture nominations. However, even with these two films in hand, all of the ten Best Picture nominees are already represented in all the other voting categories from directing, writing, acting and so on. Could the Oscars have taken this occasion to push forth other more unfamiliar-to-large-audience films like Steve McQueen's Hunger (featuring the inimitable Michael Fassbender from Inglourious Basterds) and James Gray's Two Lovers (an exceptional modern retelling of Dostoevsky's short story, "White Nights")? The Oscars could have done so, but they played it safe with An Education, which is already represented best in the Best Actress category thanks to a wonderful performance by Carey Mulligan (also seen briefly in Brothers with Natalie Portman). Pixar's Up (also nominated in the Best Animated Feature where it should, but won't, lose to the Fantastic Mr. Fox) slides into the nominee list as recompense for ignoring WALL-E last year. It seems fair to say that Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds would not have made it into the Best Picture nominees had it not been for the doubling of the slots as it is already spoken for in the Best Director, Best Original Screenplay and Best Supporting Actor categories. Much like Heath Ledger of last year, Christoph Waltz as Col. Landa in Basterds is a guaranteed win, but why the Oscars chose performances like Matt Damon's in Invictus instead of the virtuoso debut of Christian McKay in Me and Orson Welles is disappointing, but certainly not unexpected. Scalp Basterds and kick it off the probable-winner list, and we come next to Precious and Up in the Air. Though different in narrative content, both films share a similar manipulative technique that makes me think of The Blind Side meets Darren Aronofsky's Requiem for a Dream directed by Michael Moore. Both films are fairly pedantic in pacing, and they're mostly attempts to maneuver the emotions of the viewer towards a particular ideology in the symbol of a "feel-good" movie. They disguise this deceitful ethos by claiming to be "real." Excise the overdone pigfeet and the on-the-nose cleverness of the backpacks, and there's not much in either Precious or Up in the Air, respectively. What about the fact that Marc Webb pulled off many of the same film gimmicks in 500 Days of Summer that Lee Daniels failed to do in Precious? Or that the Coen Brothers' A Serious Man tackles the same issues as Up in the Air, but remains a film, not a sermon? That leaves us with James Cameron's Avatar and Kathryn Bigelow's The Hurt Locker. Despite the fact that the two directors were previously married, the competition between these two for the Best Picture win is nothing short of a battle. Avatar has the upper hand in terms of audience appeal and box office success, but it's Bigelow's The Hurt Locker that has been garnering the most accolades during awards season. In The Hurt Locker's unforgettable sniper scene, the sniper's triumph is determined by the visibility and consequent vulnerability of his enemy. Accordingly, Bigelow might as well address James Cameron and his giant smurfs with the preamble: "I see you."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:25 pm

http://redherrings.wordpress.com/2010/03/01/muriels-if-i-ran-the-muriels/

Muriels: If I ran the Muriels

This year’s Muriels have been put to bed, so you no longer have to worry about any 2009 film awards, unless you’re dying to see what designer Sandra Bullock will be wearing to the Oscars.

So, now I can finally speak my mind without fear of oppression by those blowhards/proprietors of the Muriel Awards, Steve Carlson and Paul Clark. I’ll finally reveal my full 2009 ballot, and detail the awards as they SHOULD HAVE RIGHTFULLY GONE if only everyone thought just like me.

Best Film: Sita Sings the Blues.

Synopsis as posted during the Muriel Awards.

Watch the entire movie online for free thanks to Creative Commons licensing at sitasingstheblues.com.

Best Actor: Sam Rockwell, Moon.

Rockwell plays an Everyman (somewhat literally) with a lonely job stuck out on the moon. Rockwell appeared in darn near every scene, and is ultimately watchable and believable as our narrator throughout this throwback sci-fi film.

Best Actress: Tilda Swinton, Julia.

Swinton as a blackout drunk and a calculating kidnapper = OWNAGE. If I didn’t give her this award, she’d probably drive me over with a tank and snatch it.

More after the jump…

Best Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds

Synopsis as posted during the Muriel Awards.

Best Supporting Actress: Alycia Delmore, Humpday

This one surprised me. Amidst a seriously silly premise, Delmore’s ability to ground her reactions in reality earned her my personal Muriel.

Best Director: Nina Paley, Sita Sings the Blues

The magical director of magical film.

Best Screenplay: Jesse Armstrong, Simon Blackwell, Armando Iannucci, Ian Martin and Tony Roche, In the Loop

The cursing is otherworldly, but the blackness of this comedy and the cracking interchanges between its insider cast owe everything to a masterful script. NSFW clip:

Best Cinematography: Anthony Dod Mantle, Antichrist

Best Music: Inglourious Basterds

Best Cinematic Moment: Sniper fight in the desert, The Hurt Locker

It starts out as confusion in the desert, but director Kathryn Bigelow knows how to film and pace an action sequence. The scene also alters the relationship between the main three soldiers for the rest of the film.

Best Cinematic Breakthrough: Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds

Best Body of Work: Michael Fassbender, Hunger and Inglourious Basterds

Best Ensemble Performance: In the Loop

Best Web-Based Criticism: The AV Club

10th Anniversary Award, Best Feature Film, 1999: Three Kings

Sadly, I don’t think David O. Russell has been the same director since.

25th Anniversary Award, Best Feature Film, 1984: Blood Simple

The first Coen Bros. film and still a great one. Even though the final scene is memorable and terrifying, this is the one that hooked me originally:

50th Anniversary Award, Best Feature Film, 1959: The 400 Blows

Established the New Wave as an actual movement and featured a memorable ending.

Best Film of the Decade: No Country for Old Men

Best Performance of the Decade, Male: Daniel Day-Lewis, There Will Be Blood

Best Performance of the Decade, Female: Naomi Watts, Mulholland Dr.

Best Directorial Work of the Decade: Paul Greengrass, Bloody Sunday, Bourne Supremacy, United 93, Bourne Ultimatum

Thoughts? I await your comments on winners, or the whole ballot. And of course, I’ll be watching to see who Sandy Bullock is wearing. What are you, kidding?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:27 pm

http://havingsaidthat.net/2010/03/01/2010-oscar-predictions-and-will-win-should-win-and-wish-they-were-here/

2010 Oscar Predictions: Will Win, Should Win, and Wish They Were Here
By Zac Leave a Comment
Categories: Movie News and Oscars
Tags: Academy Awards, Oscars

Hey there, the Academy Awards are this Sunday so I thought I would post my thoughts on the matter, who I think will and should win of the nominees, and who I think should have been nominated but wasn’t So with out further ado…

Oh, also if you want to see if you can pick the Oscars better than me, join my group and you can make your picks and change them up until the night before the show! Head to Awards Picks now to sign up for the Having Said That… pool.

Best Picture
“Avatar”
“The Blind Side”
“District 9”
“An Education”
“The Hurt Locker” – WILL WIN
“Inglourious Basterds”
“Precious”
“A Serious Man”
“Up” – SHOULD WIN
“Up in the Air”

I thought the academy did a pretty good job picking the nominees this year and aside from The Blind Side I don’t have to much of an issue with any of the nominees. It would have been great to see (500) Days of Summer squeak in here, or even Fantastic Mr. Fox. The Cove also would have even been a worthy choice to put up for Best Picture but I guess it will have to settle for a hopeful win in documentary feature.

Best Director
James Cameron, “Avatar”
Kathryn Bigelow, “The Hurt Locker” – WILL WIN
“Quentin Tarantino, “Inglourious Basterds”
“Lee Daniels, “Precious”
Jason Reitman, “Up in the Air”

The directors picked this year are not the top five I would take from the films nominated for best picture and I would even throw in a couple other names to the mix. Neil Blomkamp for District 9, Pete Docter for Up, and Joel and Ethan Coen would all have been just as good a pick as anyone nominated and I would add Tom Ford for a Single Man as well as Duncan Jones for Moon from films not nominated. In fact I think I would give the should win to either Tom Ford or James Cameron if I were handing out the prizes.

Best Actor
Jeff Bridges, “Crazy Heart” – WILL WIN
George Clooney, “Up in the Air”
Colin Firth, “A Single Man” – SHOULD WIN
Morgan Freeman, “Invictus”
Jeremy Renner, “The Hurt Locker”

Sam Rockwell for Moon, Sharlto Copley for District 9, and Tom Hardy for Bronson would all have been inspired picks here if they had been nominated by the Academy. With that said, I think Firth delivered the performance of the year as he mesmerized me from start to finish of A Single Man. Viggo Mortensen in The Road would have also be a very worthwhile choice had the academy gone that route. As much as I love Bridges, he has been better in other films and though I am glad he is probably going to win his first Oscar, I hate that he is getting the award basically because he hasn’t one one for a good, but lesser role, for him. If Renner sneaked in there with a win I would support that whole heartedly by the way.

Best Actress
Sandra Bullock, “The Blind Side” – WILL WIN
Helen Mirren, “The Last Station”
Carey Mulligan, “An Education”
Gabourey Sidibe, “Precious”
Meryl Streep, “Julie & Julia” – SHOULD WIN

This list is a pretty solid group of actresses and while it seems like Bullock is running a bit away with this thing, I can’t figure out why people are forgetting about Streep’s incredible work. Bullock seems to be winning because people like her and thinks she deserves some credit for being around a while. While this is definitely one of her stronger turns in her career she doesn’t come close to matching Streep, Mulligan, and Sidibe among her nominees. I still haven’t seen Last Station, will this week though, so I can’t properly comment on Mirren here, but I think Zoe Saldana for Avatar was robbed of a nomination and would have loved to see Zooey Deschanel in (500) Days of Summer, Maya Rudolph in Away We Go, or Emily Blunt in The Young Victoria score a nomination for their work as well.

Best Supporting Actor
Matt Damon, “Invictus”
Woody Harrelson, “The Messenger”
Christopher Plummer, “The Last Station”
Stanley Tucci, “The Lovely Bones”
Christoph Waltz, “Inglourious Basterds” – WILL AND SHOULD WIN

I prefered Tucci in Julie & Julia, Damon in The Informant!, and Woody Harrelson could have just as justly been nominated for Zombieland. Who missed the cut that could have made it? In a perfect world, Michael Gambon getting nominated here for his work as Dumbledore in the Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (as well as his other three films in the series) would be incredible. As would Michael Pena getting nominated for Observe and Report for one of the funniest roles of the year. Alfred Molina and Peter Sarsagaard in An Education would have been great picks as well. Jackie Earl Haley’s work in Watchmen was also worth noticing as well as the deranged Rorschach. Anthony Mackie might have been the biggest snub in this category for his work in The Hurt Locker. It doesn’t matter though because Waltz was going to win no matter what for his fantastic work as Hans Landa in Inglourious Basterds and is very deserving if/when he wins the prize; a nod to his co-star Michael Fassbender would have been an inspired choice though.

Best Supporting Actress
Penelope Cruz, “Nine”
Vera Farmiga, “Up in the Air”
Maggie Gyllenhaal, “Crazy Heart”
Anna Kendrick, “Up in the Air”
Mo’Nique, “Precious” – WILL AND SHOULD WIN

This award is all but wrapped up but Diane Kruger or Mélanie Laurent did some great work in Inglourious Basterds and I would have taken Marion Cotillard over Cruz in Nine. Beyond these ladies I don’t quite know who else I would throw into the mix.

Best Adapted Screenplay
“District 9”
“An Education”
“In the Loop”
“Precious”
“Up in the Air” – SHOULD and WILL WIN

Where is Fantastic Mr. Fox? The Road? Where the Wild Things Are? A Single Man? Julie and Julia? and dare I say Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (I know I have some serious issues with what they cut, but it is one of the finer written of the fantastic series)? Up in the Air deserves the win here though for creating such vivid characters and capturing the feel of a country in its script though I would have loved to see a couple of those films I listed make the short list.

Best Original Screenplay
“The Hurt Locker” – WILL WIN
“Inglourious Basterds”
“The Messenger”
“A Serious Man”
“Up” – SHOULD WIN

(500) Days of Summer should have been nominated here but beyond that I really like this list. The Hurt Locker is likely the winner but I would go with Up as it pulls at your heart, makes you laugh, and is full of wonderful characters and adventure. Moon would have been a nice choice here as well to be nominated, same for Away We Go, but oh well.

Best Animated Feature Film
“Coraline”
“Fantastic Mr. Fox”
“The Princess and the Frog”
“The Secret of Kells”
“Up” – SHOULD AND WILL WIN

I would have liked to have seen Mary and Max make the cut but I can’t speak for The Secret of Kells which hasn’t had a proper release for most of the general public. Though it doesn’t really matter as UP is the runaway winner compared to everyone here besides Fantastic Mr. Fox who is a close-ish second.

Best Foreign Language Film
“Ajami” (Israel)
“The Milk of Sorrow” (Peru)
“A Prophet” (France) – WILL WIN
“The Secret in Their Eyes” (Argentina)
“The White Ribbon” (Germany)

I can’t comment on these, though Sin Nombre deserved some love regardless, my prediction above is based on what I am hearing on the inter-webs.

Best Art Direction
“Avatar” WILL AND SHOULD WIN
“The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus”
“Nine”
“Sherlock Holmes”
“The Young Victoria”

I imagine this is going to begin a flood of technical awards for Avatar. Would have loved to see Mr. Fox or Up get in this short list though.

Best Cinematography
“Avatar” – WILL WIN
“Inglourious Basterds”
“Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince”
“The Hurt Locker”
“The White Ribbon”

A Single Man SHOULD WIN as it is beautiful and Anti-Christ should have been on the short list as well. A Serious Man was also wonderfully shot by Mr. Deakins and one wonders how that didn’t make it in the final five. And again Mr. Fox should have been shown some love here.

Best Costume Design
“Bright Star”
“Coco Before Chanel”
“The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus”
“Nine”
“The Young Victoria” – WILL AND SHOULD WIN

These are some great choices and I can’t think of anything that was really snubbed here but I would give some love to the corduroy suits of Mr. Fox. (only half joking)

Best Film Editing
“Avatar”
“District 9”
“The Hurt Locker” WILL and SHOULD WIN
“Inglourious Basterds”
“Precious”

Not sure about Precious being in here, I would have given a nod to Star Trek, (500) Days of Summer, A Serious Man and A Single Man in its place. But I think The Hurt Locker is going to win and that is a pretty good choice if you ask me.

Best Makeup
“Il Divo”
“Star Trek”
“The Young Victoria” WILL WIN

No District 9? Did you see his arm? District 9 SHOULD WIN.

Best Music (Original Score)
“Avatar”
“Fantastic Mr. Fox”
“The Hurt Locker”
“Sherlock Holmes”
“Up” WILL AND SHOULD WIN

Go Michael Giacchino! Where is nom for Star Trek though? (More Giacchino) and Clint Mansell for Moon would have been a great choice if only more people saw that picture. Avatar sounds too much like James Horner’s other scores if you ask me.

Best Music (Original Song)
“Almost There” from “The Princess and the Frog”
“Down in New Orleans” from “The Princess and the Frog”
“Loin de Paname” from “Paris 36″
“Take it All” from “Nine”
“The Weary Kind” from “Crazy Heart” WILL AND SHOULD WIN

I liked “Cinema Italiano” over Take it All, and both Voodo songs in Princess and the Frog over those 2. Would also have been great if Ed Helms got in for “Stu’s Song” in The Hangover, but The Weary Kind will be a great choice if things pan out like they seem like they will.

Best Sound Editing
“Avatar” WILL WIN
“The Hurt Locker”
“Inglourious Basterds”
“Star Trek”
“Up” SHOULD WIN

District 9 where are you?

Best Sound Mixing
“Avatar” WILL WIN
“The Hurt Locker”
“Inglourious Basterds”
“Star Trek”
“Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen” SHOULD WIN

Again, District 9 is MIA?

Best Visual Effects
“Avatar” WILL AND SHOULD WIN
“District 9”
“Star Trek”

Transformers is a ridiculous achievement of visual effects no matter what you feel about the picture should be in over Star Trek, or they should expanded the category to five.

Best Documentary Feature
“Burma VJ: Reporting from a Closed Country”
“The Cove” WILL AND SHOULD WIN
“Food, Inc.”
“The Most Dangerous Man in America: Daniel Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers”
“Which Way Home”

Haven’t seen all of these but I can’t imagine anything being better than The Cove.

All guesses from here on out on the winner.

Best Documentary Short
“China’s Unnatural Disaster: The Tears of Sichuan Province”
“The Last Campaign of Booth Gardener”
“The Last Truck: Closing of a GM Plant”
“Music by Prudence”
“Rabbit a la Berlin” WILL WIN

Best Short Film (Animated)
“French Roast”
“Granny O’Grimm’s Sleeping Beauty”
“The Lady and the Reaper”
“Logorama”
“A Matter of Loaf and Death” WILL WIN

Best Short Film (Live Action)
“The Door”
“Instead of Abracadabra”
“Kavi”
“Miracle Fish”
“The New Tenants” WILL WIN

That does it, and again sign up and play in an Oscars Picks game with me at Awards Picks. Hit the link or search for Having Said That…
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:34 pm

http://kylestamourbrennan.wordpress.com/2010/03/05/the-oscars-if-the-world-was-right/

THE OSCARS (If the world was right)
March 5, 2010

This is a list in which I review the year in film. I’ll go through the categories in the Oscar format and choose winners in particular categories.

Editing:

Star Trek
District 9
UP
Precious
*Winner:The Hurt Locker

Adapted Screenplay:
In the Loop
An Education
Precious
*Winner:Up in the Air

Original Screenplay:
The Hurt Locker
Adventureland
Moon
UP
*Winner:A Serious Man

Supporting Actor:
Michael Fassenbender (Fish Tank)
Woody Harrelson (The Messenger)
Anthony Mackie (The Hurt Locker)
Robert Duvall (The Road)
*Winner:Christoph Waltz (Inglorious Basterds)

Supporting Actress:
Anna Kendrick (Up in the Air)
Vera Ferminga (Up in the Air)
Maya Rudolph (Away we Go)
Kierston Wareing (Fish Tank)
*Winner:Mo’Nique (Precious)

Best Actor:
Jeff Bridges (Crazy Heart)
George Clooney (Up in the air)
Jeremy Renner (The Hurt Locker)
Michael Fassbender (Hunger)
*Winner: Colin Firth (A Single Man)

Best Actress:
Natalie Jarvis (Fish Tank)
Meryl Streep (Julie & Julia)
Carey Mulligan (An Education)
Audrey Tautuo (Coco Before Chanel)
*Winner:Gabourey Sidibe (Precious)

Cinematography:
Barry Ackyord (The Hurt Locker)
Robert Richardson (Inglorious Basterds)
Anthony Dod Mantle (AntiChrist)
Dion Beebe (Nine)
*Winner:Mauro Fiore (Avatar)

Director:
James Cameron (Avatar)
Jason Rietman (Up in the Air)
Lee Daniels (Precious)
Coens (A Serious Man)
*Winner:Kathyrn Bigelow (The Hurt Locker)

Best Picture:
An Education, Adventureland, Fish Tank, Fantastic Mr.Fox, Precious, The Road, UP, Up in the Air, Where the Wild Things Are.
*Winner: The Hurt Locker

Last edited by greyeyegoddess on Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:28 pm

http://film-snobs.blogspot.com/2010/03/codys-2009-oscar-predictions.html

Friday, March 5, 2010
Cody's 2009 Oscar Predictions

Welcome to my 2nd annual Oscar Predictions. 2009 was a little better than 2008, but not by much. This what I think will win, not what I want to win.

Best Picture- Avatar. This is a shame, but Avatar will win just for the effort and the industry needs this. I think Inglourious Basterds is by far the best film of the year and will come in second place which means nothing. Up and The Hurt Locker are the only really good films nominated this year. Ignored: It's already ridiculous the Academy went to 10 nominations this year and they still couldn't get it right. Moon, The Road, and Fantastic Mr. Fox are better than 8 of the nominations and I rather read stereo instructions for 2 hours than ever watch The Blind Side.

Best Actor- Jeff Bridges. This seems like a slam dunk win for Bridges, but I was happy to see Jeremy Renner nominated. Ignored: Rockwell for Moon and Viggo for The Road! Robbed, Robbed, Robbed! I tell ya! I also liked Matt Damon in The Informant!

Best Actress-Sandra Bullock. I think I just puked in my mouth a little. Looks like Erin Brockovich wins again, what a weak catagory. Ignored: Can't think of anything.

Best Supporting Actor- Christoph Waltz. Nothing touches this performance, nothing! Best performance of the year by far! Ignored: Anthony Mackie and Ralph Fiennes in The Hurt Locker. Michael Fassbender and about 4 others in Basterds.

Best Supporting Actress- Monique. Haven't seen this film, but she will win. I also thought Vera Farmiga was really good in Up In The Air. Ignored: Diane Kruger and Melanie Laurent for Basterds.

Best Director- Quentin Tarantino. I hope the Acadamy relizes this catagory is for directing actors and not spectacles. Everyone is good in Basterds and no one is good in Avatar. I wouldn't be super pissed if Bigelow wins, but QT is the best director of the year. Ignored: Duncan Jones for Moon and John Hillcoat for The Road. I am still in shock that these films were shut out this year.

Original Screenplay-Inglourious Basterds. The one category that there is always justice, I think this is a sure thing. I was happy with Up being nominated. Ignored: MOON!

Adapted Screenplay-Precious. This should be a strong catagory this year, but nominating the wrong films made it weak. Ignored: Harry Potter, Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Road. All of these films are better than the nominated ones.

Cinematography- The White Ribbon. You ever play roulette? Always bet on Black and White! This is yet another weak catagory because the wrong films were nominated. Christian Berger's photography is breath taking and easily the best looking film of the year, but if Lord Of The Rings can win then anything can win. Ignored: A Serious Man, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Where The Wild Things Are, shall I go on? 80% of the films relesed this year look better than Harry Potter and Avatar.

Editing-Avatar. If you win editing then it's a 90% chance you win Best Picture, but Basterds and Hurt Locker deserve it more. Ignored:Moon, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Up, and The Road.

Foreign Film- White Ribbon. If you are nominated for another catagory you win.

Best Animated- Up. Same as above. Up and Mr. Fox were two of the best films this year.

Art Direction, Make Up and Costume Design-The Young Victoria. The title says it all. Ignored: Where The Wild Thigs Are.

Sound Editing,Mixing, and Visual Effects-Avatar. SLAM Freaking Dunk!

Score-Avatar. Ignored: Where The Wild Things Are, Moon, and Black Dynamite.

Song- The Weary Kind-Crazy Heart. T-Bone!

Documentary- Burma VJ. Food Inc was ok and I did enjoy The Most Dangerous Man, but Burma is what the Acadamy looks for in a Doc.

Doc.Short-Rabbit a la Berlin- It's about The Berlin Wall, That's Oscar gold next to Nazi films.

Short Film-Kavi. It takes place in India and after Slumdog these films are right behind Nazi's and The Berlin Wall.

Short Animated- A Matter Of Loaf and Death. Two Words, Wallace & Gromit!

Well thats it! Please send some feed back and let's hope I did better than last year.
Posted by Cody at 4:18 PM
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:22 am

http://chrisalfred.wordpress.com/2010/03/06/oscars/

Oscars 2010

This Sunday sees the Oscars been given out for the best films of the year. Here is my alternative awards and look at the best film nominees that I have seen.

Best Supporting Actor: Peter Calpadi

In The Loop was the funniest film I saw last year and it was made by this man’s amazing performance. I have no idea why he did not get at least a BAFTA nomination. Also Michael Fassbender’s performance in Inglorious Basterds was very good.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:28 pm

http://greggoeshollywood.blogspot.com/2010/03/first-annual-greggie-awards.html

Sunday, March 7, 2010
The First Annual Greggie Awards!
Posted by Greg at 12:54 PM
Far be it from me to steal another show's thunder this year, but this was the only day I was free enough to honor my personally favorite films from this year. Unfortunately, I was not free enough to chalk up any actual awards this year, but I encourage the winners to fashion their own awards out of grapes. Because grapes are delicious, and they deserve it.

But as most critics can attest, nobody likes it when we're being nice and uplifting, so let's the vitriol out of the way first.

Best Supporting Actor

* Michael Fassbender - Inglourious Basterds
* Jordan Nagai - Up
* Leonard Nimoy - Star Trek
* Christoph Waltz - Inglourious Basterds
* Patrick Wilson - Watchmen

Unfortunately, I do have to explain some of these picks. Patrick Wilson gained weight for his role in "Watchmen," which will typically get the Academy's attention. Michael Fassbender played the closest approximation of me onscreen, so I have to honor him somehow. Jordan Nagai's voice was the best part of one of the best movies of the yeart. And Christoph Waltz was maniacally brilliant as the best villain this year.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next