Top News
WE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT MICHAEL-AN AWARD WINNING ACTOR

Congratulations to the cast and crew of "12 Years a Slave" winning an Oscar for Best Picture

Michael is currently filming "MacBeth"

Watch "12 Years A Slave" and "Frank" in theaters

Watch "The Counselor" and "12 Years A Slave" on DVD available now

Michael is set to star and produce on a film version of the video game "Assassin's Creed"

Completed projects: X-Men, Untitled Malik project

Upcoming projects Assassin's Creed, Prometheus 2, MacBeth,and more!

Header credit here

MFmultiply's Disclaimer

Order region 1 dvds-Amazon store

Order region 2-UK dvds-Amazon Shoppe

Please check the calender for films on TV, Theater, or dvd releases
September 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Wonderland Magazine

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wonderland Magazine

Post by Admin on Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:58 pm

The pictures and articles are online.

http://www.wonderlandmagazine.com/features/michael_fassbender/

Michael Fassbender

INTERVIEW: MATT MUELLER

PHOTOGRAPHER: PAUL MAFFI

FASHION EDITOR: WAY PERRY

AFTER SHEDDING 15KG TO PLAY BOBBY SANDS IN HUNGER, MICHAEL FASSBENDER WAS SAVED FROM A LIFE OF BAR WORK AND PROPELLED INTO THE LEAGUE OF THE A-LIST

Once in a while an actor makes such a colossal impression it’s enough to make an entire, cynical industry sit up and pay rapt attention. Michael Fassbender had just such a cosmic breakthrough in artist Steve McQueen’s Hunger, in which the German- born Irish actor blew hearts and minds as IRA figurehead Bobby Sands, who lead the fatal 1981 hunger strike at the Maze prison over the criminal (rather than political) status of Republican prisoners. It wasn’t merely that he emaciated himself to an agonising extent to play Sands (so far, so Bale), it was an unbroken, 19-minute dialogue centrepiece between Fassbender and Liam Cunningham’s Catholic priest that whipped him from languishing in obscurity to mainlining screen time with Brad Pitt and Megan Fox, and working for directing titans like Tarantino, Soderbergh and Cronenberg.

Last year, Fassbender took a further leap, consolidating his newfound status as the smooth-talking council-estate opportunist who seduces a 15-year-old Katie Jarvis in Andrea Arnold’s Fish Tank, and as the undercover British officer who gets his testicles shot off during an insane shootout in Tarantino’s WW2 pastiche Inglourious Basterds. He might describe his method for sinking into a character as “sheer, boring repetition, just reading the script, reading the script, reading the script,” but Fassbender adores the shape-shifting nature of his profession.

At the Wonderland photo shoot in north- west London, he sheds the outfit he arrives in and quick-changes into various garments for the shoot like a man on an especially pressing mission. If on-screen he appears ruggedly, Teutonically handsome, in person he’s even more striking, his granite jawline moredefined, his aquamarine eyes more piercing – and twinkling with easy Irish charm. His physique would make an Olympic gymnast proud – his lean, sculpted frame doesn’t appear to carry an ounce of fat. “I’ve always done a little bit of sport so I have never been to the gym in my life,” he says, modestly.

Grabbing quick smokes and conversational snippets between set-ups, he’s languid, affable, tapping me on the leg or winking in apology whenever he’s beckoned back to the studio floor, but unable to switch from distraction to concentration until the shoot’s wrapped. “Sorry man,” he says, “it’ll be easier now to give you my full attention...”

Fassbender was two when his family left behind an industrial pocket of Germany for the green, wide-open spaces of Killarney in south-west Ireland, where his parents still run a restaurant. Fassbender endured “plenty of slagging” over his German roots (his mum’s from Northern Ireland) although Killarney was still “a great place to grow up as a kid. It’s not like being in the city where there’s lots of bad things to tempt you – the most danger we came across was falling out of a tree or hitting each other over the head with a stick. And we lived right on the lakes so I used to go fishing all the time.”

Unlike so many of his peers, Fassbender didn’t display a precocious urge to perform from the moment he could talk; he didn’t put on little shows for relatives, or attend youth theatre from the age of five. He was just a normal working-class Irish lad who tore about with his friends and scrubbed pots in his parents’ restaurant – until he reached 17, and realised he had no clue what to do with his life. “I thought maybe a lawyer would be interesting,” he says, “but I’m a slow reader so that volume of reading wasn’t a good idea.”

When he was lured into acting workshops, he found he had a penchant for it and, two years later, headed off to study at the Drama Centre in London – although he never passed the finish line as he landed an agent and dropped out in his final year. “I’m a quitter,” he jokes. “No, I just decided it was time to go. My year was starting to implode on itself. It was an intense place and it could breed a bitchiness and animosity, so I decided to get out of there – before the agent show came and it got really ugly. Which probably was a mistake because loads of casting directors just didn’t know who I was for years.”

CONTINUING READING THIS INTERVIEW IN THE APRIL MAY ISSUE WONDERLAND MAGAZINE - ONSALE NOW

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Fassbenderfans
Blogspot: http://mfmultiply.blogspot.com/
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Wonderland Magazine

Post by MissL on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:27 pm

thanks

MissL
Stelios' sword

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top