Top News
WE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT MICHAEL-AN AWARD WINNING ACTOR

Congratulations to the cast and crew of "12 Years a Slave" winning an Oscar for Best Picture

Michael is currently filming "MacBeth"

Watch "12 Years A Slave" and "Frank" in theaters

Watch "The Counselor" and "12 Years A Slave" on DVD available now

Michael is set to star and produce on a film version of the video game "Assassin's Creed"

Completed projects: X-Men, Untitled Malik project

Upcoming projects Assassin's Creed, Prometheus 2, MacBeth,and more!

Header credit here

MFmultiply's Disclaimer

Order region 1 dvds-Amazon store

Order region 2-UK dvds-Amazon Shoppe

Please check the calender for films on TV, Theater, or dvd releases
February 2019
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

The Woman in Black

Go down

The Woman in Black

Post by Admin on Thu May 13, 2010 4:09 pm

http://theplaylistnation.blogspot.com/2010/05/will-michael-fassbender-star-in-woman.html

Thursday, May 13, 2010
Will Michael Fassbender Star In 'The Woman In Black'?

It's been a while since we had a good old-fashioned ghost story; "The Orphanage," probably the best recent example of the genre, premiered at Cannes almost exactly three years ago. But, hot on the heels of yesterday's announcement of the Rebecca Hall/Dominic West chiller "The Awakening" comes the news that Hammer's version of the Susan Hill novel "The Woman In Black," currently being shopped at Cannes, has completed financing, with Canada's Alliance Films putting up the rest of the budget. The company's distribution arms in the U.K, Spain and Canada will release the film.

As previously revealed, the film, which will pointlessly be released in 3D, has been written by Jane Goldman, Matthew Vaughn's writing partner on "Kick-Ass" and the upcoming "X-Men: First Class," and will be directed by James Watkins, who was behind the excellent British horror film "Eden Lake." The plot revolves around Arthur Kipps, a lawyer who encounters a malevolent spirit in a remote English village. On the back of the project getting the green-light, The Playlist has received some information on who might be taking the lead role.

According to our source, Colin Farrell and Michael Fassbender were, at least a few weeks ago, the leading contenders to play Kipps, but with Farrell signing on to "Horrible Bosses" and "Fright Night" this week, it looks like he may be too busy for the shoot, which is expected to kick off in the fall. Between this, and Fassbender having worked with Watkins previously on "Eden Lake," it seems like the Irish-German actor is the front-runner; although plenty of people are fantasy casting the actor as Magneto in Vaughn's "X-Men" prequel, he doesn't have anything officially lined up once he completes David Cronenberg's "A Dangerous Method."

There may be other actors in the running, and it's possible that Farrell may find room on his dance card, but if Fassbender does take the role, it's another promising attachment to what already looked to be a project with a lot of potential.

Posted by Oli Lyttelton at 11:48 AM

ben said...

Which could mean that funding for Brendan Gleeson's At Swim Two-Birds has fallen through again, both actors were attached and it was meant to go into production in Sept. Sad if it's true.

Fassbender has worked with Watkins but then Weir's The Way Back is a Hammer(Spitfire)production? So both have connections and either actor in the role would be something to look forward to.

Fingers cross, Watkins' The Woman in Black" won't fall victim to the dreaded sophomore slump curse.
12:31 PM
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: The Woman in Black

Post by Admin on Thu May 13, 2010 4:37 pm

http://www.indiemoviesonline.com/news/james-watkins-to-take-on-the-woman-in-black-130510

James Watkins to take on The Woman in Black
Posted on Thu, 13/05/2010 @ 11:26 by:
Angela Burton
The Woman in Black

James Watkins, writer and director of Eden Lake, is ready to terrify the world with Hammer Films’ first 3D project, the classic ghost story The Woman in Black. If you’re not already quaking behind your keyboard, read on to find out more.

Based on the novel with the same name by Susan Hill, The Woman in Black follows a young solicitor, Arthur Kipps, who is summoned to Crythin Gifford, a remote market town to attend the funeral of his recently deceased client, Mrs Alice Drablow, and to sort out her papers while he's there. As he works alone in her home (which is situated on Nine Lives Causeway and at high tide is completely cut off from the main land), the desolate and secluded Eel Marsh House, Kipps uncovers tragic secrets, glimpses a mysterious woman dressed all in black and endures increasingly terrifying sequences of unexplained noises and chilling events (including the sound of a horse and cart in difficulty, followed by the screams of a young child and his maid). Kipps must solve the mystery behind Mrs Drablow’s life, while being haunted by the mysterious woman.

Variety is reporting that Jane Goldman (Kick-Ass) is adapting the novel into a screenplay and production is expected to begin this autumn. The announcement also added the news that Roy Lee of Vertigo Entertainment (The Ring, The Grudge, The Strangers) would be executive producing.

The Woman in Black.

The Woman in Black has also been adapted as a stage show that first played in the Theatre-by-the-Sea in Scarborough, UK in 1987. It moved to the Fortune Theatre in London’s West End in 1989 where it still runs today. The show has also been performed all over the world (an amazing adaptation that had this reporter quivering in her seat; I recommend it as a must-see). The stage play is noted for having a very small cast and minimal props. A TV movie was made in 1989 which starred Adrian Rawlins as Arthur and Pauline Moran as the woman in black, and two radio adaptations of the novel have also been aired: one in 1993 on BBC Radio 5 and 2004 on BBC Radio 4.

According to The Playlist Nation, Colin Farrell and Michael Fassbender were in the running for the lead role but Farrell's busy schedule took him out of competition, so it looks like Fassbender is the favourite to play Kipps.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu May 13, 2010 5:25 pm

http://gordonandthewhale.com/michael-fassbender-to-lead-the-woman-in-black/

Michael Fassbender to lead THE WOMAN IN BLACK?
Joshua Brunsting
by: Joshua Brunsting
May 13th, 2010

In this world where gore and nudity have become the go-to staples in the modern horror film, good, classic ghost tales are few and far between.

However, coming hot off the heels of an announcement of a new thriller, THE AWAKENING, starring Rebecca Hall and Dominic West, it looks like there will be another one joining it. Deadline is reporting that Canada’s Alliance Films is currently putting up the rest of the budget for an adaptation of the Susan Hill novel, The Woman In Black.

The film has been penned by Jane Goldman, best known as Matthew Vaughn’s long-running writing buddy and collaborator on the upcoming X-MEN: FIRST CLASS project, and will be directed by EDEN LAKE director, James Watkins. It follows a lawyer who meets a spirit while living in an English village. While I love the idea of a revival of classic ghost tales, that isn’t even the best part.

The Playlist is reporting that, as of a few weeks ago, Colin Farrell and Michael Fassbender are in the lead to gain the film’s lead role, Arthur Kipps. The outlet points to Farrell’s recent attachment to HORRIBLE BOSSES, FRIGHT NIGHT, and the upcoming David Cronenberg film, COSMOPOLIS, and have posited the idea that these projects will leave the door open for Fassbender to take the role. Hopefully that’s truly the case.

Last year was a massive one for Fassbender, as both FISH TANK and INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS proved that Fassbender is truly a gifted thespian. The premise of the film sounds intriguing, andwith the amazing pedigree both possibly in front of and behind the camera, and you have a project that is easily one of the more anticipated projects coming down the pipeline.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri May 14, 2010 5:28 pm

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/17200

By Garth Franklin Friday May 14th 2010 02:07PM
Fassbender Wanted For "Woman In Black"

Michael Fassbender looks to have emerged as the front runner to star in "The Woman In Black" for Hammer Films and Alliance Films says The Playlist.

Financing is locked for the 3D adaptation of Susan Hill's gothic supernatural horror novel about a young solicitor who takes up a short residence at Eel Marsh House, a desolate and secluded coastal mansion cut off at high tide from the nearby market town.

Alone and sorting out the affairs of the elderly widow owner who recently died, the lawyer is spooked by unexplained noises and visions of a mysterious woman in black. The book has been adapted into a memorable stage play that has been done around the world for over two decades.

It also exists as a hard-to-find 1989 ITV low-budget TV movie which is in such demand that there's a minor black market in illegal copies of the short-lived DVD release. Much like 70's TV movie "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark", the 'Woman' TV movie scores praise for its effective unsettling atmosphere created through premise, sound and suggestion.

Jane Goldman ("Stardust," "Kick Ass") adapted the script while James Watkins ("Eden Lake") will direct. Colin Farrell was previously linked to the role but looks to have bowed out with his recent commitments to "Horrible Bosses" and the "Fright Night" remake.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilar on Sun May 16, 2010 1:34 am

This sounds REALLY good.
Pilar
Pilar
Azazeal's Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by MissL on Sun May 16, 2010 4:45 am

mmmmmmmm yes Exclamation Exclamation

MissL
Stelios' sword

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun May 16, 2010 3:19 pm

It does, and it will be in 3-D too. I'll cough up the extra dough for that.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MissL on Sun May 16, 2010 3:41 pm

MF 3D Exclamation

MissL
Stelios' sword

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun May 16, 2010 3:54 pm

oh yeah
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MissL on Sun May 16, 2010 6:56 pm

yean

MissL
Stelios' sword

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:36 pm

http://www.filmshaft.com/filmshaft-exclusive-james-watkins-interview/

Tue, Jun 1 2010 | Published in FCG, Features
FilmShaft Exclusive: James Watkins Interview
By: Martyn Conterio

James Watkins’ Eden Lake was one of the best films of 2008 and a fantastic debut feature. The clever mixing of thriller genre traits with contemporary social fears created a nerve-shattering experience helped by the performances of Michael Fassbender and Kelly Reilly and a particularly bleak ending. It also made you think twice about visiting the woods for a day out.

It was 2002’s My Little Eye that got him noticed as a new talent to watch in British cinema and Eden Lake established him as a director of great promise.

He’s currently working on an adaptation of Susan Hill’s spine-tingly ghost story classic, The Woman in Black. James Watkins very recently chatted to FilmShaft about his career to date, Eden Lake and his plans for The Woman in Black.

How did you start out in the film industry?

It was a variety of things. I’d always had a long-standing interest in film, running around with video cameras and I’d always done lots of writing. I didn’t go to film school, but after I graduated from university I got a job working as a runner then I became an assistant to the director Michael Radford then started reading scripts for film companies like Miramax.

Had you always been a fan of the horror genre?

I’ve always been a fan, but I don’t consider myself an exclusively horror filmmaker. I’ve worked a lot in other genres and I’m more into Hitchcockian type thrillers and psychological thrillers. In my mind, Eden Lake is much more in that vein. I love horror and I don’t have any snobbery about it but at the same time I don’t want to be stuck to any particular genre.

What was it about Eden Lake that made you launch your directorial career with it?

Well I’d always wanted to direct and it got to a point where I’d wanted to write and direct something that was small and manageable and if it came to it – something I could shoot on my credit card on the cheap. In terms of the idea, I felt there was something in the ether, this fear of children and youth. It’s not monsters, werewolves or vampires but something much more normal and everyday.

What inspired the film, was it a personal experience?

No, it wasn’t anything particular and more general than that. Just walking down the street or reading about it in the papers. I wrote the script and I wasn’t making any social commentary in any way.

Eden Lake looks fantastic and employs some interesting locations. Where did you shoot it?

We were constrained by budget so we shot in areas about an hour from London. There was one location in Surrey another in Pinewood. I didn’t want it to be anywhere that had a specific British geography.

Were you ever concerned about the potential response to the film? You know, ‘the hoodies are going to kill us all!’

Interestingly enough that never came into it. I wanted to make a taut thriller and never worried about those sorts of things. People had completely mixed reactions. Some were even saying the film should be shown at schools and others saying it should definitely not be shown at schools (laughs). The film is meant to offer an emotional experience and not any sort of debate.

How did you get involved with The Woman in Black?

There hasn’t been that kind of ghost story done in this country for a long time. There have been films like The Orphanage and The Others and those kinds of films and I felt the Woman in Black had the potential to be that. I loved Jane Goldman’s script and it was a rare thing that had real spine-chilling scares and also had a real emotional underpinning. It’s about loss and people’s responses to it and I found it quite moving. So my job will be to try and make those two things work on screen. It’s not just a by-the-numbers scary movie. I think it can be more than that.

Is it exciting to be involved with a Hammer production?

Yeah, I mean obviously it’s not the Hammer Studios from the 1950s, but it’s a famous British brand and what they’re trying to do with films like the Let The Right One In remake is trying to make interesting genre films with a certain amount of ambition and to re-vitalise that brand.

You’re shooting in 3D, what led to that decision?

Well we’re still…the decision on that hasn’t been quite finalised. We’re still figuring out the best way to shoot the film.

Have you seen the old 1989 t.v. movie or the long-running play at all?

I haven’t actually. I’ve read the novel. I’m trying to determine whether I should see the play or not.

The t.v. movie, Suan Hill wasn’t too impressed with, but there’s a classic scare with the ghost staring down at the protagonist while he’s in bed. Will you be replicating that in your film?

I haven’t seen it, so to be honest, I can’t say. I probably should take a look at it.

I’ve heard rumour Michael Fassbender could be cast in the lead role of Arthur Kipps..

We’re not casting at the moment but Michael is a great actor and obviously I’ve worked with him before and I’d definitely work with him again. In terms of casting we’ve got lots of options so can’t really say at this moment.

And when is shooting set to commence?

We’re looking at shooting in the autumn.

In England?

Yes, in England.

What other projects are you working on?

Yeah I’m writing a big action adventure film for Warner Bros. which is called Methusalah which I’ll be doing after The Woman In Black.

Thanks very much for answering my questions.

That’s alright

I can’t wait to see The Woman In Black.

Thanks.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:44 pm

Well, they asked Daniel Radcliff to so the films. Good luck to him.

His picture on the article, kind of looks a little like Michael. Some similarities.

http://www.filmshaft.com/daniel-radcliffe-signs-up-for-the-woman-in-black/

Mon, Jul 19 2010 | Published in FCG, News
Daniel Radcliffe Signs Up For The Woman in Black
By: Martyn Conterio

Harry Potter star, Daniel Radcliffe, will play the lead role in James Watkins’ forthcoming ghost story movie, The Woman in Black. Jane Goldman wrote the script and it will be a Hammer Studios production.

Last month I asked James Watkins all about this film and if Michael Fassbender would be taking the role. No wonder he wouldn’t say anything! Radcliffe in a press release stated:

“I am incredibly excited to be part of The Woman In Black. Jane Goldman’s script is beautifully written – both tender and terrifying in equal measure. It is thrilling to be working with JamesWatkins . From his brilliant work on Eden Lake and also having met him and heard his vision for the film, I know he will make a fantastic film.”

Radcliffe will now play a young solicitor who travels to the north east of England to oversee the funeral of a client. While there he notices a grieving young woman in the back of the church dressed head to foot in black. When he casually mentions this to an acquaintance a chilling game of cat and mouse begins as he becomes embroiled in a terrifying story of a vengeance seeking spirit.

Radcliffe appears to be choosing his post-Potter films with great care. Along with this starring role, he’s joined up to star in a new adaptation of All Quiet on the Western Front in 2012. Busy years head.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down