Top News
WE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT MICHAEL-AN AWARD WINNING ACTOR

Congratulations to the cast and crew of "12 Years a Slave" winning an Oscar for Best Picture

Michael is currently filming "MacBeth"

Watch "12 Years A Slave" and "Frank" in theaters

Watch "The Counselor" and "12 Years A Slave" on DVD available now

Michael is set to star and produce on a film version of the video game "Assassin's Creed"

Completed projects: X-Men, Untitled Malik project

Upcoming projects Assassin's Creed, Prometheus 2, MacBeth,and more!

Header credit here

MFmultiply's Disclaimer

Order region 1 dvds-Amazon store

Order region 2-UK dvds-Amazon Shoppe

Please check the calender for films on TV, Theater, or dvd releases
October 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Centurion reviews

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Centurion reviews

Post by Admin on Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:56 am

http://janitorblog.blogspot.com/2010/08/centurion.html?zx=807b9639daa514bc

Monday, August 9, 2010
Centurion
is in a special On Demand preview on FiOS and several other services right now... so of course I watched it. I knew I could never convince my fiance to go see it with me in the theater, and the home TV is a pretty sweet 1080p 50", so why the hell not? It was basically pretty bad ass. I don't expect Kubrick-quality work out of Neil Marshall... for me he is kind of similar to Zack Snyder: they make trashy modern B-movies and they get the damn job done. Though, as much as I may have liked it, I am worried he will not produce another Descent-calibur film anytime soon. I think with Doomsday and this he is trying to make a movie that is bigger than the one he can afford to make. They want to be epic and grandiose in scale and are trapped within their own budget (like the original Death Race for instance.) But if you suspend your disbelief on the goodwill that they would have made a more expensive, believable movie if they could... then that s$#! is pretty awesome. I would proudly admit to being a Neil Marshall fan.
Posted by BLIZZOG at 12:55 PM
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:34 pm

http://hollywood.dreamvision-soft.com/blog/?p=1812

Movie Review:
In general I have been pretty impressed by Neil Marshall’s movies. They play to what I see as his strengths as a director, small ensemble group of character actors battling with extreme circumstances (often violent), fast and furious action, satisfying conclusion. As I assess this movie there was every chance that he was going to do this again in a Roman vs Pict battle for survival story. Small band of soldiers, stuck behind ‘enemy lines’ racing to get back to safety. At first I wasn’t sure that the contemporary language and accents was going to work for me – I’ve no idea what Roman vernacular might have been but 21st Century Brit-speak takes a bit of a leap of faith. However as the action picked up and the plot unfolded I started to get into the fast pace of the whole thing and was really enjoying the ‘rush for the line pursued by uber tracker bitch with a sense for her prey’ storyline. Then what happens! Suddenly out of nowhere we have love interest – ‘vogueish’ not ‘pict-ish’and the previous set up goes out of the window. Said super hunter inexplicably can’t find Romans when they are virtually sitting in her lap. The pace completely slackens off and the edginess that was build up before is gone. What was Marshall thinking of? Of course I blame the production company or distributors or some such ninnies who I assume said to good ol’ Neil, “Bigger production, bigger budget than you’re used to….must have a love story to get a decent return on our investment.” That, or, NM just out of his comfort genre. Who knows but a lost opportunity this time round.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:40 pm

http://cinepinion.blogspot.com/2010/08/centurion.html

11 August 2010
Centurion
Directed by Neil Marshall
Full credits at IMDb

If you loved The Descent, you’ll...well, that won’t have much bearing on how you’ll feel about Centurion, though both films were directed by the same man. The former was an unbearably claustrophobic horror movie about spelunking and evolutionary deformities; the latter is a swords and sandals epic whose kitschy, postapocalyptic, Mad Max aesthetic would seem to have more in common with Descent-follow-up Doomsday. But Centurion’s most notable feature isn’t its strange make-up—it’s its ultraviolence.

Set in 117 CE England, like a Valhalla Rising prequel, Centurion centers on a gang of ancient Romans (led by Michael Fassbender), a magnificent seven of whom are stranded behind enemy lines after their invading battalion is slaughtered by heathens. As they make their way to friendly terrain, through misty Arthurian forests or across breathtaking vistas, they encounter scenes of startling gore: a midnight urinator takes a sword between the legs; flaming arrows pierce skulls; heads tossed against trees splatter like watermelons. One battle sequence looks like some goremeister’s greatest hits-reel of slit-throats and beheaded heads. And the graphic violence isn’t reserved for battle: our starving wandering-heroes cut open an elk to drink its warm blood and eat the half-digested moss in its stomach.

The point, admirably, is to deromanticize the violence of war: to expose ostensibly valorous sword swipes (say, of a slick flick like Gladiator) for what they really are: acts of horrifying murder, moral or not. Marshall has reached so far in the past he comes out in the present: his heathens are villains, but his Roman “heroes”—proto-Westerners who can’t defeat the local population of the land they invaded—emerge as villainous, too, a bunch of rapists and child killers. There are no “good” sides, only a handful of decent individuals misguidedly fighting for bad leaders, alongside bad men. Centurion isn’t anti-troop. But it’s rabidly anti-war, and anti-authority, too. Grade: B-
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:57 pm

http://moviesarea.org/centurion-movie-2010-movie-poster-trailer/

Centurion movie (2010), Movie Poster, Trailer

Published on: 11th August, 2010

Centurion movie bring back the history to life as it tells the story of a band of roman soldiers who are stranded in an unfamiliar ground and fighting some cold blooded enemies who are at their tails to hunt them down at any cost. thus it is struggle for survival as these brave soldiers try to win this battle by keeping their morale high and their hearts beating in order to confront an enemy that they can cope up with in their wildest and most improbable dreams. It will be a n ideal journey in to the battle field in the roman era as the audience are made to marvel at the adventure.

Centurion is set in the Britain in the period of 117 AD during the time the roman invasion was at the peak. a group of soldiers under the guidance of the brave general Virilus are on their way to the British highland to fight with the Picts and win over their land. however their journey is cut short when they are attacked by cold blooded Picts on their way and the general Virilus is held captive. As a lone centurion Quintus Dias become the sole survivor of it he tales up on the impossible task of freeing the general and taking the rest of the legionaries safely to the roman frontier.

Movies based on historical events had been the in thing in Hollywood through out the history and once in a while the audience is given with an opportunity to witness a period drama of some kind o another. however this movie is a stand alone and should not be considered in that light. Because what this one offers is something that is quietly unmatchable and unbeatable. The director Neil Marshall seem to be adding another great masterpiece to his collection of movies because this movie see him doing a maximum effort by bringing the history alive in the most successful and realistic manner.

This is the first time the audience gets to see Michael Fassbender giving life to a character that puts his acting skills to the maximum usage. The character he plays in the movie is a challenging one that requires amounts and amounts of hard work put in to it. The movie sees him playing the role of a lone warrior with the utmost ease and grandeur. The way he brings out the emotions in the movie is a thing to marvel at because it gives him the edge that is necessary for a serious bit of acting. It is a commendable out put that is given by him.

Dominic West also plays alongside him with equal amounts of energy and the combination adds so much light to the entire movie. The action filled scenes are brought back to liveliness by the participation of these actors in it. Another surprising factor in the drama is the performance by Olga Kurylenko who does the role of a cold blooded warrior. It is through actions and facial expressions that her character is mostly build and the featuring done by her is sure to make her name to make it to the list of most sought after actresses in modern industry. Centurion will see it to the theatres on August 27th and be among the first to witness action and adventure relives in a thrilling war drama.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:15 pm

http://ajn256.blogspot.com/2010/08/film-review-centurion.html

Wednesday, August 11, 2010
Film Review: Centurion
Hi guys!
Today's review is about a little known film called "Centurion", a historical Great Escape-esqu film, directed by Niel Marshall, set during the Roman invasion of Britain. Historically accurate to some extent (key word here is 'some') It tells the tale of what might have happened to the mysterious Ninth Legion which, according to history, mysteriously disappeared, never to be heard again.
So, after that historically imbued prelude, lets move on to the actual review!

Review:
Centurion starts well enough. The prologue is absolute rubbish, but when the movie actually starts, you can't help but feel kinda involved in the story and suspension of disbelief kicks in. The settings seem real enough, the characters play their part perfectly and a near-authentic atmosphere of a roman invasion is created.
The film is clearly an inverted inspiration of 300. It's as if Marhsall saw everything that was in 300 and went on to make an exact opposite film. (Albeit some similarity, or else it wouldn't be an inspiration)
Being the protagonists, you'd think that Romans would be painted as the saviors of all things just and true, like blatant misinformation in 300. (For the record, Spartans did keep slaves and even had a festival where they were ritually slaughtered) In Centurion, it is made clear early on that the Romans are no one's saviors and the natives, Pict, are nothing like the Na'vi.
Each side kills with extreme prejudice and extreme gore, most of which is surprisingly uncalled for. I mean seeing a guy's pelvis being speared when he's taking a piss is certainly not good for the constitution, though it is a little tickling. This isn't Hostel or 300 kinda gore, it's simply gore, cheap and funny.
The characters are old and the dialogue cliche, but the acting surprisingly diverts your attention from this. Most notable of them all is Dominic West as Titus Flavius Virilus (what a name), commander of Ninth Legion. It's a pity his acting talents are shamefully wasted here. I'd really have preferred him as the protagonist rather than Michael Fassbender (from 300)
The first half is simple. Roman legion marches to defeat their enemy and surprise, surprise, are betrayed by their Pict guide, Olga Kurylenko (From Hitman, the movie) The plot is flimsy at best but you don't care because you're treated to the beautiful slaughter of the Roman legion. It is from here that things start to pick up and the tale of a couple of Romans escaping the Pict is told. the atmosphere is tense and thrilling and the scenery is astounding. You're treated to beautiful vistas like water falls, snow covered mountains, lush woodlands and more.
And just when you think you might actually like this, you're struck by the second half. Bam! The plot starts to stagger and the cliche lines return, this time not backed by the excellent acting talents as seen before.
It feels as if the director suddenly ran out of ideas. To say the story goes down hill (Get the joke? Ah, screw you!) is to put it mildly. It actually slobs on the ground like a drooling dog.
In the midst of it is a romance that is so absurd, I have no other word for it. A film that starts like a epic hit, fails to a little more than a B-grade film. Michael Fassbender tries to carry it with his 'holier-than-thou' acting but gets crushed under the weight. He is no Gerard Butler or Dominic West. (Damn you, Niel Marshall!)
Ultimately, you leave the seat with a feeling of 'God, this could have been so much better, if only...'

Opinion:
For the 'God, this could have been so much better, if only...' feeling: 6.8/10
Posted by AJN at 12:35 AM
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:20 pm

http://donnaatthemovies.blogspot.com/2010/08/centurion.html

Tuesday, August 10, 2010
Centurion
Starring:Michael Fassbender(Hunger,Blood Creek,Inglourious Basterds)
Dominic West(Hannibal Rising,300, Punisher:War Zone)
Olga Kurylenko(Hitman, Max Payne,Quantum of Solace)
Director:Neil Marshall(Dog Soldiers, The Descent, Doomsday)

Centurion is an action film filmed in Scotland and Britain's Ealing studios in London and in Surrey. It is produced by Christian Colson and Robert Jones.

Quintus Dias is the only survivor of a raid by the picts, a fierce tribe whose tactics rival that of guerilla warfare. He is rescued by the legion of Titus Flavius Virilus who have been ordered in to wipe out the Picts for good. The plans go awry and the general is captured and all but six of the romans end up meeting a sorry end. Quintas and his bunch of followers try to regain the general but it is not always as it seems.

This could have been an interesting premise but I think it was overdone and some of the scenes quite graphic. The male leads were quite good (Fassbender and West) but Olga Kurylenko (as Etain) was a little stilted.

A bit more thought rather than the cinematic formula- I give it three stars out of five.

Posted by donna at the movies at 10:20 PM
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:27 pm

http://soresportmovies.blogspot.com/2010/08/centurion-2010-action-thiller.html

Tuesday, August 3, 2010
Centurion (2010) - Action Thiller
Centurion (2010) - Written and directed by Neil Marshall the fictionalized account of the Roman Ninth Legion and their massacre at the hands of the Picts, tribal Britons in 60 or 61 AD. In history the defeat of the Ninth is believed to be the result of spreading the soldiers across too many small forts thus sapping the strength from what would have been a legion of 5000 men. Instead a smaller force tried to break a Pict siege at colonia and was soundly defeated with 80% of the soldiers being killed.
In the movie version liberty is taken with history and the Governor Julius Agricula while attempting to win favor with Rome makes it his cause to destroy the Pict resistance. He orders his General Virilus (Dominic West) to take the legion and seek out the Pict stronghold and destroy it. How will he find the picts? Agricula has the answer in the lovely and deadly Etain (Olga Kurylenko), a Pict tracker who is under his sway. She heads out and leads the Legion north. They save a soldier running from the Picts named Quintus Dias (Michael Fassbender) , our narrator who joins the group as they head into hostile company.

The narration speaks about how the Romans are not prepared for the war they are fighting. The Picts do not stand in the open but instead wage a gorilla war striking and disappearing. This will be the battle where that changes. Except that Etain leads the Legion into a trap and they are decimated in battle. Only a handful of Romans survive lead by Quintus they move fast with the goal f rescuing their captured general. While avoiding the roving party pf Picts the Romans make their way to the Pict camp and make an attempt at saving Virilus. They can not free him and in their fight to escape the camp Soldier Thax (JJ Fields) kills the son of Pict leader Gorlacon (Ulrich Thomsen). In fact the entire rescue attempt is written just to create the idea that the picts will never stop hunting the remaining Romans. Indeed the hunting party lead by the skilled Etain stays on their heels for the entire movie. This is when the film turns into many other Marshall films the action survival film. Like in Dog Soldiers (2002), The Descent (2005) or Doomsday (2008) Marshall writes a pretty tight action survival film. He knows what he is doing and although there is a slow sequence in this one he makes the hunt tense with periods of gory action mixed in. Eventually we get to a final showdown for the remaining soldiers with the hunters and then there are a couple plot points to deal with some of the personalities of the survivors. The end was somewhat predictable but satisfying after the ride we were on.

In the world of Neil Marshall the Descent currently stands alone as a Masterpiece so where does Centurion fit? It is very derivative in structure to his other movies. Part of that is the need to create the survival action film. Some of it could be the M. Night Shyamalaning of Marshall although I hope not. Yes that is Shyamalan as a verb meaning caught in a self created style that will drake you down as it bloated carcass sinks into the depths. Doomsday was a better action film with better more realistic fight scenes. Here we have a lot of CGI blood spraying around and sometimes it doesn't fit, more manually triggered effects should have been used. When they did go for the old fashion variety they were well done and cringe producing. Dog Soldiers was a better survival movie even with its vital flaw of not having a werewolf transformation scene. Still it was scary and gory and wonderfully satisfying as a horror survival piece.

So Centurion has to sit in fourth of the four Marshall films. By no means a waste of time but still not something that builds on the past and brings Marshall to a new Higher plateau. That is what I was hoping for with this, that the film surpasses the older films and shows the growth of Marshall as a film maker. I am sure it did not. It was entertaining, it told an interesting story with action and adventure, but the obvious plot devices and predictability left me feeling ...well ehhh.

Rating (6.1) 5 and above being recommended. If I was to use the New Zombiegrrlz rating I would tell you to wait until you could rent it.

There are some other things to say about this film, I see on some message boards that there is some debate about whether there would be a black soldier in the Roman army serving in England. This is a small thing to me considering that the leader of the hunting pict is a woman and there are several woman warriors in the party. Not that I mind hot babe warriors, just saying if we are historical they probably would not be in those positions. I think this kind of issue needs to be ignored, this is a movie made in our times where color and sex are not the primary concern in casting. It is not a historical piece shooting for accuracy it is a action film and if having diversity in it is offensive too the viewer then the viewer is looking at it much too seriously. Then you are probably offended by the clothes not matching the times or that everyone has really perfect teeth. It has very little to do with modern political correctness and more to do with trying to capture the largest possible audience. Is it necessaary? Well I think the point of the multicultural cast reflect the wide expanse of Roman power. It was not a bad way of showing just how far and wide the Romans conquered. We always try to infer that we know what the director and casting director was doing when they made these decisions and we don't. Then of course you could read too much into it and see it as an allegory to US involvement in Afghanistan, great enjoy that, but until Neil Marshall comes out and says it is lets just look at it as the entertaining film it is.

posted by The Soresport at 7:06 PM
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:12 am

http://calvinscanadiancaveofcool.blogspot.com/2010/08/centurion-2010.html

Centurion (2010)

The year is 117 and the Roman Empire has extended it's empire as far as Northern Britain where it has fought a fierce 20 year campaign to subjugate a group of people known as the Picts.

The movie follows the fortunes of the 'lost' Ninth Legion who were thought to have be killed off by the Picts - all 3000 of them - though no trace of the Ninth was ever found

Michael Fassbender is Quinta Dias, a corporal in the Ninth who is captured and tortured by the Picts and their king, Gorlacon. The Picts had much success against the higly disciplined Legionnaires because they fought a guerrilla war and used the terrain they knew to their advantage.

On a mission of rescue the Romans are slaughtered and their general, Virilus (Dominic West) is captured. He was betrayed by a Pict woman named Etain (Olga Kurylenko) who first pretended to be working with the Romans but was in truth a spy for her people.

Of all the soldiers, only 7 survived the battle in the woods and now find themselves far behind enemy lines. Their only chance is to make it back to their garrison before the Picts, who are pursuing them, can get to them first. The hunters are led by Etain, who betrayed the Romans in the first place.

I found this film to be an exciting chase movie with characters that I realized I was caring about. I wanted them to escape their pursuers despite the fact that I knew several of the 7, if not all, weren't going to make it alive to the end of the picture.

That is skillful filmmaking by director Neil Marshall who gave us the underrated 'Doomsday' last year. He seems to like giving woman powerful roles and Etain is no exception. Without uttering a single line of dialogue she manages to convey all the emotions necessary to make her character believable.

The setting for the film is spectacular as are the battle sequences. I only wish that we could have avoided all the quick cuts during the fighting parts but that is common with all such movies. If you like realistic bloodletting then this movie will give you that in abundance. The trailer should tell you all you need to know about the movie and if it is something you would enjoy as much as I did.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:45 am

http://paralleldownloads.blogspot.com/2010/08/centurion-2010-dvdrip.html

USER REVIEW:
Centurion is a great film, and I suspect it's going to be totally underrated by the cinema-going public. I saw it at my local Odeon last night, the only cinema in town showing it, and I strongly suspect it won't be on next week. This is an example of a really good British film from a director with a strong pedigree not getting the kind of publicity and public interest that is frequently given to the most heinous rubbish that Hollywood can produce. Granted, many people don't share my director-centric view of forthcoming features; I'm prepared to risk getting my fingers burned occasionally in avidly chasing any films made by a select bunch of my favourite directors, but my approach is usually rewarded with excellence, like Centurion. In structure it is a very simple story, beautifully shot and honestly told. The bloody battles are very realistic - you get a good feel for what it might actually have been like to fight hand-to-hand in ancient times, frantic and deadly. The characters are simply drawn, and develop through their actions rather than words (quite literally in the case of Olga Kurylenko's "Etain"). There is good and bad on both sides of the conflict, which is true to every war in human history. Ultimately, it offers a quite believable scenario to explain the mysterious historical disappearance of the 9th Legion in Hibernia.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:52 pm

http://www.filmjournal.com/filmjournal/content_display/reviews/specialty-releases/e3ie16e8b7507e085a99e16d5560e579cf5

Film Review: Centurion
Neil Marshall reaffirms his status as a contemporary “King of the B’s” with another straight-up genre flick that’s low on budget but high on fun.

Aug 11, 2010

-By Ethan Alter

It’s an understandable, but unfortunate, reality of the movie business that directors of A-list prestige projects grab the majority of our attention and acclaim, while those that spend most of their careers churning out B-movies—a somewhat outdated catch-all term used to describe low-budget genre pictures—often have to wait decades to be similarly appreciated. It’s only within the past 20 years, for example, that wizened genre masters like George A. Romero and Roger Corman have been widely celebrated for their skill and craft, with the latter even picking up an honorary Oscar at a star-studded Academy ceremony last fall.

Going by that math, sometime around the year 2030, British filmmaker Neil Marshall will at last be honored in some venue, be it a special industry gala or a week-long retrospective at one of the few remaining repertory movie houses. The recognition will be long overdue. Since his 2002 debut Dog Soldiers, Marshall has consistently proven himself to be one of the most reliable contemporary creators of kick-ass genre flicks around. 2005’s The Descent was an exceptionally well-crafted horror film, while the 2008 post-apocalyptic adventure Doomsday played like a gleefully wild mash-up of John Carpenter and George Miller.

Marshall’s latest effort, Centurion, fuses elements of Ridley Scott’s Gladiator with the Rambo series, telling the story of a Roman soldier dropped behind enemy lines and forced to survive with only his wits and superior fighting skills. In a terrific star turn, Michael Fassbender plays the titular centurion Quintus, one of a handful of enlisted men posted to a remote fort in northern Britain circa 117 A.D. Their assignment is to defend the Roman Empire’s tenuous border against the guerrilla-style tactics of the Picts, the fierce Celtic tribes that refuse to submit to foreign rule. Inevitably, the fort is overrun and Quintus taken prisoner, but he pulls off the first of many daring escapes and meets up with another Roman legion led by General Virilus (Dominic West), which is marching north to take the fight to the Picts. Too bad for them that their supposedly loyal guide Etain (ex-Bond girl Olga Kurylenko) is secretly working with the enemy and leads the soldiers into a trap from which few emerge alive. Following this massacre, Quintus spearheads a mission to rescue the captured Virilus and lead his small band of brothers back across the border before they too lose their heads to a Pict-axe.

The secret to Marshall’s success as a B-movie maestro is that he always takes the material seriously without making films that are overly serious. Like The Descent and Doomsday before it, Centurion is played straight—there are no Scream-like genre in-jokes and none of the actors can be caught winking at the camera. And yet the movie possesses a lively, almost lighthearted spirit that makes it a great deal of fun to watch. Narrative clichés that would be groan-inducing in another, more self-important period epic—like, say, this summer’s Robin Hood—largely roll off the viewer’s back here because they are delivered with an earnest enthusiasm by the writer-director and his game cast. (Indeed, Fassbender is so charismatic in the lead role, it’s a shame he wasn’t picked to play England’s most famous outlaw over the increasingly humorless Russell Crowe.)

Granted, Marshall isn’t quite as adept at shooting action sequences as Scott or even Miller, but he gooses the proceedings with some agreeably outlandish bits of bloodshed and a relentless pace. And in a classic genre movie tradition that’s perhaps best typified by Romero’s zombie pictures, he’s even worked a measure of social commentary into the film. It certainly doesn’t require that much of a leap to view the Picts as stand-ins for the homegrown insurgencies in Iraq and Afghanistan, while the Roman soldiers represent the in-over-their-heads U.S. and/or U.K. troops. (At one point, Quintus even refers to the conflict as a “new kind of war…[one] without end,” echoing, among other things, the title of Charles Ferguson’s acclaimed Iraq War documentary No End in Sight.) It may not be A-level art, but Centurion provides all the entertainment value you expect from a solid B-movie.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:11 pm

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/centurion-2010-movie-review/

Centurion (2010) Movie Review
Centurion (2010) Movie, Featured — By Nix on August 12, 2010 | Share

Give Neil Marshall a few thousand extras, broadswords, arrows, and let him stuff them all into grungy medieval conditions, and the results are predictably splatter-rific. Written and directed by Neil Marshall (“Doomsday”, “The Descent”), “Centurion” chronicles the missing adventure of the Roman Ninth Legion circa early second century A.D. (As an aside, Kevin Macdonald’s “The Eagle of the Ninth” can be considered a follow-up of sorts to Marshall’s film, in that “Eagle” chronicles the search for the fate of the same Ninth Legion, though as far as I know, the two films were made independent of one another.) In Marshall’s film, though, the focus is less on what happens to the Ninth and more on what happens to the survivors after the Legion goes missing.

Michael Fassbender (“Inglourious Basterds”) stars as Quintus Dias, our narrator and Roman Centurion who is on the run from Pict barbarians when we first meet him. Dias eventually runs across friendlies among the Ninth Legion led by General Virilus (a impressively bulked up Dominic West, “300”), whose army is on the march into Pict territory on orders from Rome. It is the latest move by the civilized Romans to conquer the barbarian Picts, a bothersome race of hut-living primitives that don’t cotton much to Roman subjugation. (Insert your personal political/war allegories here.) Virilus is guided behind enemy lines by the mute scout Etain (Olga Kurylenko, “Quantum of Solace”), who quickly reveals her true Pict loyalties by leading the Ninth into a bloody ambush that leaves the Romans all but obliterated. (Don’t get your panties into a bunch, fanboys; Etain’s betrayal is all over the pictures, synopsis, and trailers for “Centurion”.)

There are survivors of the ambush — including Dias, Bothos (David Morrissey), Thax (JJ Field), Macros (Noel Clarke), Brick (Liam Cunningham), and a few others. After the survivors’ attempt to rescue Virilus from Pict captivity proves unsuccessful (and in fact, it just ends up pissing the Picts off even more), the remaining Romans begin their trek back to friendly lands, but that’s easier said than done. The second half of the film is one big chase movie, as the Pict King Gorlacon (Ulrich Tomsen) sends Etain and a few selected hunters after the Romans. The Third Act introduces a love interest for Dias in the form of Arianne (Imogen Poots, the kid in “28 Weeks Later”, all grown up and providing excellent eye candy), an outcast Pict woman who chooses to help the fugitive Romans. Sparks fly between Arianne and Dias. Or as much as romantic sparks are capable of flying in a Neil Marshall movie, anyway.

If you’re not familiar with the name Neil Marshall, then you’ve missed out on some excellent genre entries like the post-apocalyptic sci-fi actioner “Doomsday” and the creature horror movies “The Descent” and “Dog Soldiers”. You can now add the brutal hack and slash of “Centurion” to the list of over-the-top genre films by the British director. The film is definitely pure Marshall, and if your interest was instantly piqued when you heard “Neil Marshall gets to play with broadswords”, you won’t be the least bit disappointed with “Centurion”. There is probably a little too much CGI bloodshed for my taste, but for those accustomed to (and indeed, expects more of) the director’s odd fixation on decapitations and seemingly out-of-nowhere bodily amputations, “Centurion” has you covered in spades.

The suddenly ubiquitous Michael Fassbender (Hey, that’s Michael Fassbender!) leads the cast as Quintus Dias, though really, it could have been anyone. Characterization is not and was never Neil Marshall’s strong point, and that hasn’t changed with “Centurion”. To give you an example of how poorly Marshall handles the characters, he actually wrote in a scene where the Roman survivors gather in a cave and begin swapping origin stories. I s$#! you not. Nevertheless, Fassbender is certainly up to the job of a harden Roman Centurion. I swear, the man doesn’t have an inch of fat on him. Equally impressive is Olga Kurylenko as the Pict huntress Etain. The character has plenty of reasons to despise the Romans, and truth be told, Marshall’s script doesn’t really give us any real reasons to hate her. In fact, there isn’t really a real villain in the movie, with the exception of one of the Romans, who proves to be less honorable than the rest. And did I mention that Imogen Poots is incredibly easy on the eyes?

“Centurion” has already opened in the UK and is scheduled to land Stateside in limited release later this month. It will also be available in all the usual places, including instant video-on-demand and for download, but beyond those avenues, I don’t foresee a whole lot of opportunities for “Centurion” to slice and dice its way into the hearts and minds of the American mainstream. The bottom line is this: if you weren’t a fan of Neil Marshall coming in, you probably won’t be one leaving. The film never really rises to any level of “epic” (it’s actually quite sparse once you get past the initial Pict ambush of the Legion early on), and Marshall’s proclivities for hacking off limbs and dusting off characters left and right will come across as a bit much to newcomers. For those used to the man’s filmography, though, “Centurion” is everything you expected and wanted, so in that regard it’s a very successful Neil Marshall film.

By the way, here’s to Marshall finally getting that “Dog Soldiers” sequel together. What, you managed to get a sequel to “The Descent” up and running, but you can’t do the same for “Dog Soldiers”, Neil? Pish posh.

Neil Marshall (director) / Neil Marshall (screenplay)
CAST: Michael Fassbender … Quintus Dias
Dominic West … Virilus
Olga Kurylenko … Etain
Noel Clarke … Macros
David Morrissey … Bothos
JJ Feild … Thax
Imogen Poots … Arianne
Liam Cunningham … Brick
Ulrich Thomsen … Gorlacon
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:57 pm

http://gutsandgrogreviews.blogspot.com/2010/08/centurion-neil-marshall.html

Centurion- Neil Marshall

Neil Marshall is a weird mother fucker. From Werewolves to caves to the apocalypse to this. I personally have enjoyed all of his films for different reasons but so far so good. Now on to Centurion. The epic movie has been attacked many times and while occasionally it works for me its few and far between. It just seems like most of the time spend the first three fourths of the film watching these people wander around or ride their horses and maybe something cool might happen, maybe they will just walk around for ten hours to get to a lake. Not this one, within fifteen minutes bitches were getting their heads ripped, slammed, speared, smashed and cut to s$#!. It was like Braveheart with less Jew bashing. This is an hour and a half of badassary. How can you not love the Romans, they fought the most epic battle ever when they put that carpenter on that cross and created that Nausea record cover. Its like watching a porno where the guy cums 182 times in one film. The story here is basic but interesting, I wont go into it as it is not important. I don't mean that it isn't well written because it is, I mean you already know if you want to watch it so I'm not gonna waste your time. I don't have to much to say on this, Its a lot of fun, its interesting, its well done, its violent as f&#! and its Neil Marshall. Do you need much more than that.

3.5/5
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:15 am

http://whysoblu.com/centurion-movie-review/

I Would Be Proud To Stand By This ‘Centurion’
August 13th, 2010 by Brian White

My love for writers/directors Robert Rodriguez and Christopher Nolan is not a secret around here, but one man that often gets overlooked, because of his UK presence in my opinion, is Neil Marshall. He put out a pair of my favorite films in the past five years, Descent and Doomsday. Now I did not mean to make it seem like these are my two most favorite films of the past five years, but rather I would like to come across by expressing the fact that they are in an elite class of what I would consider to be my most desirable and most watched movies made since 2005. I can’t even count on two hands how many times I watched the both of these. Descent was quite the fresh take on the horror genre in my opinion, while Doomsday was just a blissful orgy/cornucopia of all my favorite movie genres blended into one, and it did not hurt that the beautiful Rhona Mitra was the leading lady either.

Well I don’t know how I let this one slip my radar, but while reading one of my favorite daily websites, I came across an interview with Neil Marshall. Now I knew he was working on this Centurion project, but due to not being tuned into UK movie news, I had no idea the film was completed and already being showed theatrically around the globe. But wait! We live in the US of A. What about us? Well thankfully during my reading I learned that several cable networks have this available via Video on Demand (VOD). So one of the first things I did when I got home was to flip on my Time Warner service and make sure this one was there. Sure enough, Centurion showed up as an Early Screener, 48-hour rental, for $9.99. Not being an advocate of their VOD service, I seriously debated watching this. I could hold out and wait for the hopeful glorious Blu-ray release or I can watch a subpar non-surround sound HD broadcast in the privacy of my own home. It was a tough decision to make. Surprisingly, I chose the later, despite being a cheap a$$. I mean after all, it is a Neil Marshall film!

The feature was originally penned under the working title of Ninth Legion. And that’s exactly what the movie is about…the Ninth Legion. Marshall had no interest in making this film historically accurate, at least none that I know of. But that also could be contributed to the fact that no one truly knows what happened to the 4,000 Roman soldiers who marched into Scotland and mysteriously disappeared. Instead, Marshall took the legend and made an action thriller out of it. Did he succeed? I think so, but I would honestly have to say that this movie would be ranked third by me when comparing it to my other two Marshall favorites I mentioned before. However, I will still be anxiously awaiting a return visit to Centurion should it ever be released on Blu-ray in the US. For the time being, I’m just glad I was able to catch this.

The film tells the tale of Centurion Quintus Dias (Michael Fassbender) and how he is rescued by the Ninth Legion, marching under the command of Titus Flavius Virilus (Dominic West). The Titus was commissioned to wipe out the Picts once and for all and to kill their king, Gorlacon (Ulrich Thomsen). The Ninth Legion was escorted by a treacherous tracker named Etain (the beautiful Olga Kurylenko). Now despite her beauty, she’s one person you ought to be afraid of. There’s nowhere you can ever possibly hide from her and when she finds you, she’s guaranteed to kill you. You can take that to the bank (just like Dan Gilbert says). Well long story short, the mighty Ninth Legion is massacred in a surprise attack they never saw coming. Seven survivors are all that’s left standing, post ambush, and their objective now is to rescue their captured commander. Yep, that’s right. You read it right. Seven survivors are going to take on a whole army of Picts. I know what you are thinking. Good luck! And even if they rescue their fallen general, will they be able to make it home safely? What does your gut feeling tell you? I will tell you this much. This Centurion soldier has heart and I would be proud to stand on the battlefield with him. Olga fans won’t be disappointed here either. Although she wears a lot of clothes that hide her perfectly shaped body, she does have an abundance amount of screen time.

In my honest opinion, it’s kind of evident that Neil Marshall played this one safe. He did not stray outside the parameters of a conventional screenplay like he did with Doomsday. Believe it or not, he even found room to squeeze a B-love story into the film amidst all the testosterone filled action and gore. Sadly, when the love interest was introduced late in the picture, I already then knew how this story would end. Suffice to say, I was dead on accurate with my assumption. However, with that being said, Neil Marshall fans, like myself, NEED to give this one a watch. Everyone else, check out the trailer I provided below and see what you think of it first. Its short runtime of 98 minutes goes by quick thanks to the fast paced action plot. I’m not sure this will ever come to the cinemas in the US, so until its eventual home video release, check your cable provider’s VOD lineup or use the Amazon link below to start enjoying Centurion right now!
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:38 pm

http://www.soundonsight.org/toronto-after-dark-centurion/

Toronto After Dark: Centurion

Posted by Simon Howell on Aug 13th, 2010

Centurion
Directed by Neil Marshall

Genre director Neil Marshall is not what you might call an “ideas man.” His best film, the terrifying spelunking creature feature The Descent, thrived not on any elaborate concepts or carefully developed characters, but instead on the shrewd, cunning use of the film’s incredibly claustrophobic spaces to generate naturalistic dread. That neither of his other two features – the rote Dog Soldiers and the nonsensical Doomsday – are as successful can be chalked up to their dependence on Marshall’s scripts, which have so far been long on familiar shorthand and bravado but short on charm, distinguishing detail or anything approaching memorable dialogue. Sadly, Marshall’s screenwriting afflictions badly hamper the deeply forgettable Centurion, which squanders an intriguing setting – the forbidding outskirts of Northern Britain in the 2nd century – and a solid cast.

Hunger and Inglourious Basterds’ Michael Fassbender gets what must qualify as his first lead role in a mainstream film as Quintus Dias, a Roman soldier under Gen. Vinlus (The Wire’s Dominic West). The two wind up among the few survivors of a Pict ambush of their legion, placing this small band of soldiers deep inside enemy territory and very much in imminent danger. They wind up as the prey of a cunning, mute turncoat huntress (Olga Kurylenko) and must rely on cunning, stealth and luck to survive long enough to escape to the front line.

Or, at least, that’s the intention. At one point early in the proceedings, Quintus praises the survivors as the bst soldiers he’s ever witnessed, but Marhsall’s writing undercuts that idea at ever turn, making each supporting player less dynamic than the previous. Worse still, of the two principals who can actually speak, only West, a ham straight from another age, seems comfortable here – Fassbender’s presence is too cerebral, too intellectually present for a character whose motivations as presented in the film are so remarkably simple. While the journey our heroes undertake is meant to be epic and foreboding, the actions the men decide on seem frequently arbitrary, and after a long, action-free dry spell, their eventual decision to take a stand seems in direct opposition with the rest of their tactics throughout the film.

The film’s chief virtues are shared by Marshall’s other films: we get a cohesive visual approach that successfully underlines the unforgiving nature of the terrain, and we get a number of inventive action-scene stagings. Unfortunately, Marshall hasn’t managed so far to make the strides necessary to consistently produce satisfying features. The ambush sequence works handily as a summation of both his virtues and flaws: as great fireballs roll down the hill at our heroes in every direction, there’s a great sense of danger, as well as a viscerally thrilling image. Then, as the battle properly begins and the sword-based combat takes precedence, the sequence begins to feel haphazard and un-engaging. Te legion lives on, but a writer capable of exploiting Marshall’s better tendencies would seem to be the only way out for moviegoers.

Simon Howell
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:38 pm

http://popcorncrumbsandsodastains.blogspot.com/2010/08/review-centurion-2010.html

Friday, 13 August 2010
REVIEW - Centurion (2010)

Neil Marshall is the Great White Hope of genre cinema, he does not aspire to comment on the human condition or win any awards, reinventing the wheel is the least of his concerns, Marshall is content to spin it with the speed and determination of a Gold Medal wheelchair sprinter.

In terms of contemporary filmmakers producing top level B-Movies, Neil Marshall is approaching John Carpenter levels of excellence. Now, obviously Marshall has yet to produce a film quite on the level of Halloween or The Thing (if they were to be grade, both would be A+ films) but he is producing films on par with Assault on Precinct 13, Escape from New York and They Live.

His previous films have ranged from the goofy, man on a mission/monster movie mash-up, Dog Soliders (B-) to probably the claustrophobic horror movie since Alien with The Descent (A-) and finally with the post-apocalyptic mixtape, Doomsday (B) which married EfNY to The Road Warrior to zombie movies with a little medieval mayhem. These are not films made for everyone, but if they hit your genre sweetspots they probably have a well-earned place in your collection.

Centurion takes Marshall's previously mentioned interest in sword wielding action, and expands it to a film on it's own, giving us a story of the much fabled Roman 9th Legion, who disappeared while stationed in Britain after clashing with Pictish warriors. The Picts were a tribe that resided in what is now known as Scotland, who gave the Roman invaders hell in the way only a rowdy Scot could with a bunch of foreigners.

The main thrust of the story is that Quintus Dias (Michael Fassbender) has been kidnapped by Pict warriors after his entire basecamp has been wiped out. The Ninth Legion, lead by Virilus (The Wire's Dominic West), set out to provide relief and rescue Quintus only to be ambushed by their traitorous Pict scout, Etain (Olga Kurylenko) and the overwhelming force of the Pict army. Now Quintus and a ragtag group of survivors must flee 'cross country, on foot, with the bloodthirsty Etain and her Pict warriors pursuing them.

And no, that double cross is not really a plot twist spoiled because the fact Etain is hunting the Romans is in the advertising.

This is a good old fashioned chase movie, the odds are always stacked against our protagonists, and the shaves are often close ones. The last time we saw a chase so thrilling and fraught with a genuine sense of peril was probably the Bourne movies.

Despite it's Roman period trapping, Centurion feels more like a Western in Roman sheeps clothing, with the Roman soldiers as the Cowboys and the Picts being the ruthless and savage Comanche with the only objective is to stay alive long enough to find the Cavalrie.

The most distinct comparison to be made is with Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid, it shares that sense of pursuit and danger, and even has a hair-raising cliff jump scene almost exactly like the one found in Sundance. The film doesn't come close to the electrifying chemistry of Paul Newman and Robert Redford but it acquits itself far better than this years Clash of The Titans (REVIEW) in sketching out each characters personalities and giving everyone a strong sense of comaraderie.

It's easy to buy into these men as allies and friends, there is an ease to the scenes where they just sit and talk, it feels authentic in the way men behave around one another - particularly men of combat. It reminds me of the way scenes in Dog Soldiers would use laddish banter to build characters and create connections, but it does so in a shorter space of time, because most of this movie is dedicated to the chase.

The movie has a great forward momentum, even when events slow down, there is still a real sense of danger which informs even the moments of rest.

Michael Fassbender is fast becoming one of the best actors of his generation, he can deliver Oscar-worthy (but sadly overlooked) performances such as Hunger (REVIEW) and he can give quiet, scene-stealing work such as Inglourious Basterds or Fish Tank, and for films such as 300, Blood Creek and now Centurion he can add much needed presence to the proceedings. Whatever the role, he takes it and the film as seriously as it needs. The man plays like a modern day reincarnation of Errol Flynn, he has a subdued but smouldering machismo and undeniably high levels of charisma. Seriously, the man should be playing James Bond, not Magneto.

The stand outs from the rest of the cast are Dominic West, gnawing on scenary with much appreciated bravado, David Morrissey (The Other Boleyn Girl, Red Riding: 1983) and Liam Cunningham (Hunger, Clash of the Titans) continue their flawless record of filling the screen with something that would be thin on the page. But, really, all the men in the main group give solid performances and their chemistry together feels grounded and genuine.

Olga Kurylenko, who struggled through speaking parts in A Quantum of Solace (REVIEW) and Max Payne, gives probably the strongest and most surprising performance in the whole movie. She plays a mute Pictish warrior with a knack for tracking her prey.

Kurylenko is a stunning beauty, and she gives the character an incredible physicality, her years as a model allow her to communicate a great deal of feeling and personality with just her body, in ways that may have been hampered had she been given a speaking role. Her character is savage and deadly, but there is a vulnerability and sadness to her, it's a difficult balance to make but she pulls it off, wonderfully.

While the movie is mostly driven by the chase between Etain and Quintus, it does not scrimp on the red stuff, there is a generous quantity of blood and viscera exploding on the screen during the intense action scenes. Many a sword impacts on skull, and the result is a big wet thing of beauty. Limbs, guts and the tops of heads fly off with gay abandon. I was particularly pleased to see that a great deal of the blood and gore was practical, with digital bloodshed only being used to augment pre-existing violence. That is what sets a genre filmmaker like Neil Marshall apart from the pansy asses that get more lucrative releases, such as Len Wiseman.

Centurion is not the modern genre classic that The Descent is, but within Marshall's filmography it is probably his second best work and an absolute must for any fans of a bloody good romp, if you go in with your expectations at the appropriate level and don't expect an epic of Lord Of The Rings proportions (although the on-location photography of Scotland could stand toe-to-toe with Jackson's masterworks in terms of sheer natural beauty) then you will find a lot to enjoy with this movie.

Just bring an umbrella because you might get wet.

Grade
B+
Posted by Andy Darko at 19:14
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:01 pm

http://www.starringmovies.com/watch-movie-online-free/centurion/

Tagline: Fight or die.

Review: Unlike the big-budget disappointment of Clash of the Titans, Centurion is rather low-key, with no real big-name stars or any whiz-bang 3D gimmicks. Fortunately, Centurion is everything Clash of the Titans should have been. Theres an interesting quest story, some good acting, atmospheric mise-en-scene and – more importantly – plenty of blood-and-guts action. This is not your Hollywood sword-and-sandals movie, polished within an inch of its life and designed to please everyone.

The plot is fairly straightforward. Quintus Dias (the brilliant Michael Fassbender) is the lone survivor of a raid from the savage Picts, based in northern Britain. Dias marches with the ninth legion, led by General Virilus (Dominic West) to eliminate the Picts. When the legion is ambushed and Virilus is taken captive, its up to Dias and a small band of soldiers to rescue Virilus, defeat the Picts and return to the Roman frontier.

The spectacular violence is the highlight of the film. This is not for the squeamish, as blood flows from the opening battle and doesn stop until the end: theres decapitated limbs, beheadings and lots of throat slittings. While theres plenty of violence, it never ventures into “gore porn” territory. The fight scenes are edited so quickly that sometimes its hard to pick up whos killing who in the mess of bodies. As a viewer, its best to just sit back and watch the carnage, which is far more entertaining and realistic than COTT, and certainly earns its MA rating (with a bit of swearing thrown in). Probably the most brutal is Pict warrior Etain (Olga Kurylenko), who has an almost animalistic-like ability to track enemies. While – due to her character being mute – Kurylenko has no dialogue, she makes up for it by matching it blow-for-blow with the male characters. Like most films of this nature, there is a romantic sub-plot, between Dias and Arian (Imogen Poots), a Pict witch who has been doomed to a life of solitude and briefly houses Dias and his soldiers. Fortunately, the romantic sub-plot is only really hinted at and isn there just for the sake of it.

Though the mise-en-scene is quite murky, this adds to the films atmosphere and helps to draw you into the story, as well as providing a stark contrast to all the blood. The score is quite unobtrusive-the only times you really notice it is in the quieter scenes, which helps establish the relationship between Dias and his soldiers, often punctuated with dark humour. Its running time (just under 100 minutes) is reasonable as well, and doesn feel like it drags on.

If you like films with plenty of violence, then see Centurion, sit back, and enjoy the ride.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:12 pm

http://corvedacosta.com/2010/08/17/the-centurion-review/

Centurion Review
Posted by Corve DaCosta On August 17, 2010 2 COMMENTS

One word to describe The Centurion is gruesome but not viciously executed like horror films, I’d say tastefully executed. A centurion is a commander of a century in the Roman army.

Filmed in Hampshire, England, UK the setting of the movie provides a fierce backdrop to the 117AD movie where the Romans are up against the Picts. Directed and written by Neil Marshall, the film depicts the struggle of seven men as they try to evade the enemy. Being hunted like dogs led by Etain (Olga Kurylenko), a deaf girl who adds to the drama. Lead actor and hero of The Centurion Quintus (Michael Fassbender) does justice to the film. His experience shines through with Virilus (Dominic West). The group of Roman soldiers have to fight behind enemy lines after their army was killed in a guerrilla attack.

The film opens very strong with a fierce battle between Picts and the Romans. The gory scenes actually prepare you for what is to come. The cinematography is fantastic and epic. The visuals are stunning-high quality; as they portray the period the film. Computer generated images are used at times to create the complete imagery but not overdone to take away from the film. The movie’s strongest assets are the actors but also the music. The music is big-chanting, filled with suspense and compliments the film beautifully. You were whisked away each time which made it magical and easy to watch.

I find movie The Centurion very interesting, it has enough twists, not to confuse the plot but instead it drives the story. Unlike some period films the movie is not slow; with this you see the importance of Quintus (Fassbender) and Virilus. The acting overall is good, just not outstanding. One of my favorite actors in the movie is Arian (Imogen Poots); her role humanizes the soldiers which adds a touch of drama to bloody film. Watching the trailer I thought more about Lord of the Rings-the truth is the movie is far from it. What is breathtaking are the luscious scenes of the mountains and ice cold weather that the actors endure to deliver the lines. The actors tremble in the movie from the cold temperatures the movie was filmed. The costumes were authentic and although the dialog was young at times, the writing was good.

This movie is worth a watch, whether you’ll watch it twice, that is debatable.

3 out of 5
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:34 pm

http://slackercinema.blogspot.com/2010/08/centurion-dvd-review.html

Monday, 16 August 2010
CENTURION DVD review
Neil Marshall's latest blood and guts extravaganza is now out on DVD and Blu-Ray.

In 117 A.D. Roman soldier Quintus Dias (Michael Fassbender) finds himself captured behind enemy lines. After escaping from the dreaded Picts (a brutal tribe of warriors) Dias teams up with the Ninth Legion, a band of Roman soldiers sent to take on the Picts and kill their leader, Gorlacon. When their Pictish guide Etain (Olga Kurylenko) betrays them and takes General Virilus (Dominic West) captive, the legion must try and save him whilst surviving against the odds.

This is the fourth film by Neil Marshall, Britain's own answer to splatter king Eli Roth. Marshall's films have gradually got grander in scale, but the gore quotient has always remained consistently high. Starting with Dog Soldiers' endearingly DIY special effects, through the grimy, muddy Descent and up to the bloody Doomsday, Marshall has kept the caro syrup flowing.

Not to cheapen Marshall's dramatic achievements, but when you watch one of his films it's for the gore and bloodshed, and this film certainly doesn't disappoint. One particular battle scene with the Romans versus the Picts features more beheadings than all the Highlander series put together. It's like someone brought a trampoline to work at the helicopter factory. Where this film does suffer is from a somewhat slow stream of action. The previously mentioned scene was a stand out, and there's a couple of attacks on some barricades, but that's interspersed with a lot of downtime or characters running over terrain.

The Picts are an interesting race to feature here. A deadly tribe of warriors that are against the Roman Empire, they reminded me of the Mohawk's from The Last of the Mohicans. They're very photogenic and certainly brutal, but it's hard to fully convey their motives when the main Pict Etain has no tongue. Also, shouldn't we be rooting for the Picts? They're the ones who are having their birthright land taken from them. There's a degree of mythology that Marshall is using here, though I felt he could have used the Celtic vibe more. This film could easily have been told from the other side.

Leading man Michael Fassbender is fast becoming the newest British action star. He certainly has the physicality for these roles (as witnessed in the many scenes of him running with no top on), but he also has the ability to act. Here he makes for a grizzled and battle damaged lead, but he's an appealing presence on screen. He was great in last years Inglourious Basterds, even if his character was left a little short changed. I'll be curious to see what he can bring to the role of Magneto in the upcoming X-Men: First Class.

The casting of Riz Ahmed and Noel Clarke at first seems like an obvious attempt to appeal to a youth market, but both guys perform well in underwritten roles. All of Quintus Dias's men are acted well, but none of them really make an impact, except for Fassbender. They're all basically his merry men, and don't really get much of a chance to get in on the action.

To gripe about the story a bit, it is slightly aimless. Yeah, they've got to head to there because of this. It doesn't really matter. I suppose it's the violence that's the selling point, but even that starts to run out of steam. There's far too much running across fields, even if the backdrop does look pretty. Those scenes reminded me of Valhalla Rising, another film with a slightly brutal protagonist in a foreign land.

The Romans' numbers diminish with every battle, and come the climax, there's just not enough guys left to create anything truly epic. It does end with a whimper rather than the Gladiator/Braveheart style smack-down it seems to have been promising for the whole film. It's a shame that the one superb action scene is slap bang in the middle of the film.

However, if you've seen Neil Marshall's previous films you'll know what to expect. Certainly not for the squeamish, it delivers the requisite amount of gore to appease his fans, but lacks on the story that might have attracted new ones.

Verdict

3/5
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:31 pm

http://www.stuffwelike.com/stuffwelike/2010/08/15/centurion-movie-review/

Centurion – Movie Review
August 15th, 2010 | Ian

Centurion was a lot of fun. The film, based during the 2nd century conquest of Britain by the Romans, is violent, bloody, gory, and exciting. There’s plenty of action, fight sequences, and chases to keep the film moving forward, and the characters are interesting and the actors deliver solid performances.

Starring Michael Fassbender (Inglourious Basterds), Dominic West (Punisher: War Zone), and Olga Kurylenko (Quantum of Solace), Centurion brings the harsh reality of this particular point in history to life. This harsh reality is dealt with in a myriad ways, all of which usually end up with people being, stabbed, slashed, impaled, burned or dismembered.

Make no mistake; this film has a solid and exciting chase storyline at its core. After a betrayal and ambush that leaves a small group of Roman soldiers to fend for themselves, the group soon find themselves the target of a ruthless tracker (Kurylenko) who will do whatever it takes to kill each and every one of the running Romans. And she’s not the type of gal who gives up easily, or at all for that matter.

From then on it’s a free-for-all of action as our Roman soldiers battle the elements, each other, and the always-present group trying to kill them. Will they make it out from behind enemy lines alive? Or will they all die in one final bloody epic battle of guts and gore?

Centurion is enjoyable, exciting, bloody, fun, and one of the best action movies I’ve seen in a long time. The performances are solid, the visuals are excellent, and Neil Marshall’s direction is superb. Definitely worth checking out.

Centurion opens in theaters August 27, 2010. However, you can also check it out On-Demand on most cable/satellite services, Xbox Live, and others. For more information, check out the official Centurion website by clicking here!

Take a look at the RED BAND trailer below:
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:36 pm

http://www.mak2chi.com/2010/08/centurion-2010.html

Sunday, August 15, 2010
Centurion 2010
This is not my usual Sunday fare. Given a choice I would do a romcom or cartoon but JG wanted to see this so I obliged him. Guess who saw the movie to the end and who slept off halfway?
Plot: The tales of Rome and their battles to conquer and maintain their hold on the worlds’ territories are myriad. This time, its 114AD and the Picts (savage Celtic inhabitants of the Scottish highlands) led by their king Gorlacon were fighting to break free of the roman tyranny. This they were achieving through ambushes, guerilla warfare and a mute she-devil called Etain(Olga Kurylenko). Etain’s vengeful quest to annihilate Roman soldiers is fueled by a personal history colored by the Roman’s inhumanity to her and her murdered family. They are also the reason for her mutilated tongue.
The Roman governor dispatches a Ninth legion led by General Titus Virilus (Dominic West) and later by Quintus Dais(Michael Fassbender) - the sole survivor of a Pict raid saved by Titus - to deal with the insurgent Celts.
Wow: The battle that ensues is bloody, fast and furious. There were moments of bravery, suspense, betrayals and counter betrayals.
Olga gave an excellent performance as mute Etain. And I can’t deny that I was most pleased to be spared the usual female shrills and screams.. She still managed to give loud grunts in close combat but that was all :-).
Neil Marshall thankfully understood that viewers would weary of all that grim and ugliness. So he gave us Arianne(Imogen Poots). The most beautiful human in this movie followed by Quintus of course - that mostly due to him being the narrator so we got to see and feel things through his eyes. That his body was drool-worthy helped too. :-p
Urgh: The dialogue wasn’t witty nor memorable. And seeing very English looking men (with trademark bad teeth) in savage battle sorta confused me. It’s not 300 but it was a decent effort at 90mins.
Ginger scores it 6.5/10
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:37 pm

http://www.movies-illustrated.com/centurion-movie-review/

Centurion Movie Review

centurion_review_1.jpg

Centurion is director Neil Marshall’s fourth movie and my favourite of his so far. Centurion follows the story of the legendary Roman Ninth Legion who in 114 AD were in the Scottish Highlands during the invasion of Britain the legion find themselves in a war with the local Picts, the Celtic dwellers of the Highlands.

When their mission goes from bad to worse the Legion find themselves out of their element and now the hunted rather than the hunters. Michael Fassbender leads the cast of Centurion as Quintus Disa the only survivor of a Pict attack on a Roman garrison who finds himself saved by the Ninth Legion. Dominic West stars as the commander of the Ninth Legion who is given a Pict rebel scout Etain played by Olga Kurylenko who is mute and a fearsome warrior in her own right. Other cast members include Noel Clarke, David Morrissey, Dave Legeno and Imogen Poots, and everyone does a good job, Dominic West steals the show early on with his bravado laden Legion leader, and Olga Kurylenko has the look of a woman that could handle herself and she definitely has the physicality. Michael Fassbender inst even really the star of the movie until the second or third acts but does a good job with what he’s given.

Personally I liked Centurion, although I doubt everyone will, it’s not an epic movie but it is an interesting tale that has amazing breathtaking landscapes and a colour palette that would make any art director happy. Neil Marshall really is one of the better English directors out there, who consistently ups his game with every movie. It’s a shame Centurion really wasn’t promoted a bit better, I remember the pre release information and photos that were released and they didn’t do the final movie any justice.

Overall Centurion is a violent, graphic, tense and atmospheric movie that will no doubt appeal to anyone who liked any of Marshall’s previous movies and it has a very similar flow and overall themes and tone to it. It’s no epic, but then I really don’t like epic movies if you like fantasy, historical or just good action movies then you will no doubt get a real kick out of Centurion.

07_star.jpg
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:05 am

http://smittyonfilm.blogspot.com/2010/08/centurion-2010-short-review.html

Monday, August 16, 2010
Centurion (2010) - A Short Review
Centurion is a British action-adventure film based on the legend of the Roman Ninth Legion.

The Ninth basically dropped from recorded history without explanation around the year 117, and exactly what happened to them has been the stuff of myth and legend ever since.

The film has a great cast. Michael Fassbender (Inglourious Basterds, 300) plays the title character, Dominic West ("The Wire") plays the general of the fabled legion, and Olga Kurylenko (Quantum of Solace) plays revenge incarnate who happens to be mute.

The presence of West and Kurylenko alone was enough to get me to watch this movie. Okay, it was really just Kurylenko.

As you might know, the Roman Empire invaded Britain in the year 47, but they were never able to conquer the islands. They took care of what is now England easy enough, but couldn't defeat the Picts (later known as the Scots).

One of the most popular legends surrounding the mysterious disappearance of the Ninth was that they were sent out to defeat the Picts, but suffered some type of catastrophic defeat. This theory has been largely dismissed in recent years, but it sure could make for a cool film.

Writer/director Neil Marshall presents a story that the Ninth were betrayed by a native tracker (Kurylenko's character) and ambushed by a Pict army. Nearly every soldier was killed, but the handful who survived, led by our title centurion of course, attempt to rescue their general and return back to the safety of the Roman lines.

This storyline made for a perfectly enjoyable, but somewhat predictable film.

The action scenes were great—lots of carnage caused by swords, axes, and the like. The adventure portion of the film was satisfactory. The ending, while predictable, was adequate.

I have no problems with this movie at all. The look and the feel of the film were very good, the acting was strong, and the script acceptable.

While far from a great film, it was a good watch—time well spent. I think it is currently only available via OnDemand, and it doesn't look like it is going to have a major release in the U.S. According to the film's official site, the theatrical release is August 27 but the list of theaters is tiny. By the way, the trailer on the film's site is pretty cool...check it out.

SSR: 3
Posted by Smitty at 7:17 PM
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:10 am

http://docdunce.blogspot.com/2010/08/marshalls-missing-9th-aldrichs-mad.html

Monday, 16 August 2010
Marshall's Missing 9th & Aldrich's Mad Widow 3

Neil Marshall follows his messy PA flick Doomsday with a much tighter historical action film called Centurion. Based on the legend surrounding the disappearance of the 9th Roman legion during the British campaign there's plenty of halved heads, amputations and grisly combat as the Romans get their asses handed to them by some rather unruly Picts. It looks stunning and sports a decent cast including Dominic West, Michael Fassbender and David Morrissey but the script is pretty weak and after the initial set up it descends into your standard chase movie nonetheless I quite enjoyed it - a unashamedly genre piece that's restored my faith in Marshall who directed both Dog Soldiers and Descent.

Posted by Doc.Dunce at 14:23
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:11 am

http://www.limitemagazine.com/2010/08/review-centurion/

August 16, 2010
Review: Centurion

Caution – Contains Spoilers

Centurion is the newest film by Neil Marshall (The Descent) and it delivers on his legacy of action and gore. The film is based on the true story of Roman soldiers in 117 AD, who were fighting a losing battle to expand the Roman Empire into Britain. The legendary Ninth Legion was sent into Scotland for the final strike and was never heard from again. Marshall researched this ancient story and embellished the missing details to create the story of Centurion, a loyal soldier who rode out with the Ninth only to be one of few survivors fighting to return home. What starts off as a huge war epic quickly becomes a survival story of men running for their lives against all odds. The film is well written and well executed to give audiences their money’s worth, though it may be a bit too violent for the vast mainstream.

Michael Fassbender (Inglourious Basterds) stars as Centurion Quintus Dias, a tough as nails loyal soldier to Rome. His father was a renowned gladiator, so you know this guy is a force to be reckoned with. He also can speak the language of the only enemies left in the area, the Picts. Centurion is taken captive during a Pict attack on a Roman frontier post. He is rescued by the Ninth Legion led by General Virilus (Dominic West of The Wire) and quickly gains Virilus’s respect. Centurion recognizes the unique bond Virilus has with his men and joins them on their mission to conquer the Pict leader Gorlacon. The 2,000-strong Legion is ambushed in a massive battle scene where Virilus is captured. Centurion leads the few survivors on a quest to rescue the general and return to the Roman frontier. The band of soldiers includes David Morrissey (Hilary & Jackie), JJ Field (K19: The Widowmaker), Noel Clarke (I’ll Sleep When I’m Dead), Riz Ahmed (Rage), and Liam Cunningham (Hunger).

The Picts are portrayed as a ruthless and cunning group that can outfight the stiff Roman army in the subzero temperatures of its region. The fiercest is the mute Etain, played by Olga Kurylenko (Quantum of Solace), a fierce tracker who kicks major ass and keeps the Roman soldiers running for the hills. Her performance is notable because she’s convincingly ferocious and fearless in a purely physical performance. In contrast, Imogen Poots (28 Weeks Later) plays a gentler, but equally resourceful Pictish woman who turns the tables on the survivors later in the film.

The film is well written and incorporates modern word choice without being distracting. The persistent voiceover avoids the trap of overuse and annoyance. Inherit parallels to modern events keep to storytelling and away from lecturing. No commentary or conclusions are forced beyond those of a single soldier, noting this is a “war without honor, without end.” The film also skillfully develops the characters of the surviving soldiers, introducing them to Centurion — as well as the audience — and giving them enough distinctions to be singly recognized alongside the main character. There are great moments of tension and some light, humorous moments that entreat the audience to feel for these characters, which is quite a feat in a war/chase film with fast action. There are, however, a few plot holes and shifty editing that clipped scenes too early and hurt the story. A love story is thrown in at the end that would be a welcome break from the action if it were established earlier in the film, but comes off a bit hokey.

The make-up effects team must have had a ball with this film. The brutality continues where films like Gladiator and Braveheart leave off with full-frontal decapitations, dismemberments, and impalements. The gore is likely authentic to the period and will no doubt please modern action fans. The photography provides amazing epic shots of the Scottish landscape through snow, mountains, and vast plains. The visual effects are blended in beautifully, leaving me to suspect that most of the film was complete using in-camera effects. The production design and costumes also come across as if great care was given to creating a rich culture for the ancient Picts and the war-weary soldiers. By far, the coolest scene is a five-way fight sequence with fast-paced, simultaneous confrontations with inter-cut blows, bringing you right into the action. The score boosts the action and intensifies the drama, providing an inspiring battle mantra.

Centurion will be in theatres this Friday.

Limité Rating: 3.5/5

Director: Neil Marshall

Writer: Neil Marshall

Cast: Michael Fassbender, Dominic West, Olga Kurylenko, Imogen Poots, Noel Clarke, David Morrissey, JJ Field, Riz Ahmed, Liam Cunningham

MPAA Rating: R, for sequences of strong bloody violence, grisly images, and language

Genre: Action/Adventure

Runtime: 97 min.

Release Date: August 27, 2010
posted by: Stephanie Dawson
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:22 am

http://www.factualopinion.com/the_factual_opinion/2010/08/do_you_accept_his_love.html

Centurion
I'll Take Things That Are Still Better Than Doomsday, For 10 Dollars, 2010
Tucker Stone
Centurion-trailer-12-2-10-kc
Although the line "this is neither the end, nor the beginning, of my story" sounds kind of cool when its coming out of Michael Fassbender's takes-the-skin-off-chicken pectoral regions, it's also kind of silly. Okay, so it's the middle of your story. And the movie is going to be about you getting to this point, this shirtless, uphill mountain hands-bound run, and that's why we're starting here.

Then you wait about fifteen minutes, meet the other characters, we flash back to Michael Fassbender being captured because he can speak Bad Guy Language and before 20 minutes hit the clock, we've ended up right at the the scene that opens the movie. So it didn't really mean anything, and was just kind of put there so that the movie could start with Our Hero, in a tough, shirtless situation?

Well, rest assured (or prepare for disappointment): Centurion is not pulling at the same sort of wall-to-wall abdominal walls of man-porn that was 300. Yes, you'll get to see what Fassbender and discipline can produce, but no, it doesn't look like Officer McNulty has been hitting the gym since The Wire concluded. For the most part, this is more a modern war movie than it is a swords and sandals picture--a small team, behind enemy lines, trying to make it home alive. Get ready for lots and lots of running, a team of seven slowly dwindling to nothing, a stab-you-in-the-ankle traitor, and a whole lot of brothers-in-arms gut-roaring loyalty. Hell, there's even a witch/princess with a cute little house made out of trees and sticks!

Maybe its the forces of cheap, unstoppable power that's currently lurking in the heart of New York's most unlikely genre treasure chest, but Centurion comes across as a great B-movie foolishly posturing as an A-level entertainment. It's not bad, a compulsively watchable men-bashing-men aggression piece with a twisted, revenge addicted female in the Darth Vader role, but there's an unnecessary seriousness to which the story is told, a flaw that comes crashing to the foreground when one of the nice guys (choke!) bites it due to sheer accident in the film's false epilogue. Don't pretend you've earned our tears, Centurion. It's your chests, double-pierced by a single wooden spear, that made us squeal. If you'd stuck to that, you'd have been just fine.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top