Top News
WE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT MICHAEL-AN AWARD WINNING ACTOR

Congratulations to the cast and crew of "12 Years a Slave" winning an Oscar for Best Picture

Michael is currently filming "MacBeth"

Watch "12 Years A Slave" and "Frank" in theaters

Watch "The Counselor" and "12 Years A Slave" on DVD available now

Michael is set to star and produce on a film version of the video game "Assassin's Creed"

Completed projects: X-Men, Untitled Malik project

Upcoming projects Assassin's Creed, Prometheus 2, MacBeth,and more!

Header credit here

MFmultiply's Disclaimer

Order region 1 dvds-Amazon store

Order region 2-UK dvds-Amazon Shoppe

Please check the calender for films on TV, Theater, or dvd releases
August 2019
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Xmen articles

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Xmen articles - Page 2 Empty Re: Xmen articles

Post by Admin on Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:00 pm

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/2011/02/decoding-the-dna-of-x-men-firs.html

Decoding the DNA of X-Men: First Class, plus chance to quiz cast and crew
By David Bentley on Feb 20, 11 11:12 PM

THIS YEAR sees the release of four superhero movies in a summer so packed with blockbusters that one filmmaker described it as a "bloodbath."

The obsession with box office figures and critical ratings means there will be an obvious winner but no one can predict who will claim the crown and maybe we shouldn't be too keen to turn this into a competition.

After all, the four superhero films mean there is something for everyone. For the everyman chosen to wield an extraterrestrial ring and become a cosmic cop, check out the human-to-alien journey of Green Lantern; conversely, for the otherworldly 'god' thrust into a humble lesson of life on Earth, there is the alien-to-human journey of Thor. Science enables a scrawny army reject is transformed into a perfect physical specimen and war mascot in Captain America: The First Avenger; while nature's mutations begin another stage of human evolution in the prequel X-Men: First Class.

The recent arrival of the trailer for the X-Men film proved it to be a strong contender. Since its debut on February 10, it has had more than 8mllion views to date on its official YouTube page (with 22,000 likes and 859 dislikes) although it still seems to be filming, even with a June 2 release looming.

January Jones (pictured), who stars as Emma Frost - a villainous telepath who can also transmute her skin into diamond - has acknowledged the race to meet the release date but is confident that fans and mainstream audiences will be satisfied with the result.

She recently told Canoe: "I think it was unrealistic for them to think they were going to make such a huge movie in whatever we had -- two months or something. So of course we went over (schedule).

"We're almost done. The fact we've had to push the wrap date but they haven't moved the release date is really interesting to me. I guess they must know what they're doing. I have a lot of faith in Matthew [Vaughn] as a director and an editor; I think his movies are great. And I think they've been cutting as we've been going. We should be fine."

Jones says there is plenty for fans to feel optimistic about, telling Omelette: "I think they should look forward to the story, the script was really amazing and really intelligent, and I think the group of actors that he got involved in this movie speaks for itself. I think if the script wasn't good and if they didn't trust Matthew Vaughn's vision for the movie that James McAvoy, Kevin Bacon, Michael Fassbender and everyone else involved wouldn't have signed up, so I think they should be excited about it."

So what else do we know about the movie? For superhero devotees, one point of debate is that X-Men: First Class isn't based on the comic book series of the same name, which features young versions of Cyclops, Jean Grey, Iceman, Angel and Beast. A prequel set in the 60s, to show the early years of Xavier and Magneto, means only Beast could be present from that particular team line-up according to the big-screen continuity. Instead of the others, we have such characters as Havok, despite the fact he is Cyclops' younger brother in the comics.

Bryan Singer, who directed the first two X-movies and is a producer on First Class (as well as conceiving the story), explains: "I really, really like [Lucas Till as] Havok, who we're bringing in [to the continuity] at a sort of a different time relative to the comic book lore. It's an extremely cool character. What's great, too, about all of these characters is that they haven't honed their abilities yet. Havok is a danger to himself and everyone around him. That's where this movie is at -- the recruiting of these mutants and bringing them together."

X-Men First Class still 1.jpg

Speaking to the LA Times' Hero Complex blog, Singer confirms: "Yes, the timeline is different. It wouldn't physically fit for him to be the brother of Cyclops. We take some liberties on that."

And hinting at ideas to continue the First Class saga in sequels, he adds: "I don't want to give away certain interrelations, but let's just say there are some things that do adhere to the comic books and do so in a way the fans will get a kick out of. And those things can, perhaps, move forward into the future.

"That's one reason we wanted to call the film First Class even though it isn't the First Class in the comics. You couldn't really tell that story without going even earlier and explaining how they got there and how it came to be. I liked the title, so we kept it, but this is a prelude in a way that will eventually lead to the [scenarios] that fit in more clearly with the First Class comics and situations."

First Class Beast.jpgSinger goes on to say: "We have younger versions of Mystique and Beast, so I'm very excited about them and what they bring to the film. Jennifer Lawrence's work [as Mystique] and Nicholas Hoult's portrayal of Beast -- these are characters that we've seen in the earlier films, but then these are very different portrayals and you have to bring a lot of attention to those.

"I'm also excited about Jason Flemyng as Azazel, which is a really cool character. It's like this sinister alter-ego of Nightcrawler in a way (note: he's Nightcrawler's father in the comics), which again brings some of the things that we like about that character but at the same time has a different quality."

He says he won't be worrying about all the other films coming out this summer and how First Class might fare in that crowded market: "You can never think about that. That's just something you can torture yourself with or stress out about, but you can't do that and sit there and think, 'What are they doing? We need to do that.' That's the worst thing you can do. You have to make your own movie. It needs to exist in its own universe in terms of perception. Your goal is to make a cool movie. You need to stay focused on that goal."

But fans needn't fret about the comics being ignored. January Jones previously admitted studying the depictions and backstory of her character, James McAvoy already told us he has looked at images of Professor Xavier and strikes the same hand-on-temple psychic pose we see in the books, and Michael Fassbender now adds that he has done his homework on the Magneto of the comics.

Thumbnail image for X-Men First Class still4 McAvoy.jpg

In fact, Fassbender says he studied the comics rather than Ian McKellen's portrayal of the older Magneto.

He told SuperheroHype: "I haven't based it on him (McKellen) at all actually and I hope the fans aren't going to be disappointed by that, because I know he's rated as No 1 comic villain, well he's up there anyway. I just tried to steep myself in the source material, the comic books, and there's so much.

"He's such a fascinating guy, and how he becomes Magneto is a really interesting journey. The fact that he has been let down so many times by human beings and this distrust that he has. You can see where it's coming from.

"Obviously, what was happening in the concentration camps and then he escaped from there with Magda, fell in love with her, then their child got burned and he ended up killing the whole town and she's like 'Whoa, this is too heavy for me, I gotta leave.' So the love of his life left him."

But we won't be witnessing all of that on the big screen, he says: "We see the stuff that's happening in the concentration camp, but you don't see that relationship (with Magda). I've just held that for my own personal use (in developing) the character, so when we meet him at the beginning of this film, he's definitely a lone wolf.

"He's on a mission and he's uncompromising and then he bumps into Charles, literally collides into him, and then it's the development of their relationship and really exploring that during the 60s and the Civil Rights Movement."

Thumbnail image for X-Men First Class still5 Fassbender.jpg

In a separate interview with Metro, Fassbender elaborates on the roles he and McAvoy have in the story: "It's kind of like Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X - Charles [Professor X] being Martin Luther and Erik [Magneto] being Malcolm X - these two ideals, two intelligent guys but with different methods of achieving what they want.

"Erik doesn't trust humans and thinks they need to be wiped away and I can kind of see his point. It's like Homo Sapiens, Neanderthals ... it's like it's the next stage of evolution. And humans have made a bit of balls of it. We have, haven't we?"

He concludes: "There are so many X-Men fans out there. Hopefully, they're going to be happy. They didn't seem to be happy with the last two instalments so hopefully this will please them again."

It's fair to say the trailer seems to be doing a good job so far and we'll no doubt be seeing and hearing more about the project before its release. For those who want to know more, the cast and crew are offering people the chance to ask questions about the film via Twitter or the official Facebook page.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:59 pm

http://elenatintil.blogspot.com/2011/02/x-men-new-thoughts.html

Tuesday, February 22, 2011
X-Men... new thoughts

A new article popped up today with some interesting new information regarding X-Men first class. This evokes some new thoughts that I thought I'd share with all of you...

I'll be quoting bits and pieces of the article here, but the full thing can be read on the Geek Files here.

January Jones (Emma Frost) says:

"We're almost done. The fact we've had to push the wrap date but they haven't moved the release date is really interesting to me. I guess they must know what they're doing. I have a lot of faith in Matthew [Vaughn] as a director and an editor; I think his movies are great. And I think they've been cutting as we've been going. We should be fine."

While the time crunch has me worried, I do have to give credit to Matthew Vaughn. His adaptation of "Stardust" -- while not accurate to the book -- was incredible and is one of my favorite fantasy movies ever. If he can make "First Class" as good as he made "Stardust" then I think I will count myself satisfied.

Jones says there is plenty for fans to feel optimistic about, telling Omelette: "I think they should look forward to the story, the script was really amazing and really intelligent, and I think the group of actors that he got involved in this movie speaks for itself. I think if the script wasn't good and if they didn't trust Matthew Vaughn's vision for the movie that James McAvoy, Kevin Bacon, Michael Fassbender and everyone else involved wouldn't have signed up, so I think they should be excited about it."

This... well... I've heard this about movies before. Just because a well-known star signs up for a film doesn't mean it's going to be good (Yes, "Clash of the Titans" I'm looking at you). However I will admit that James McAvoy does have a fairly good track record of project choosing, sooooo...

Bryan Singer, who directed the first two X-movies and is a producer on First Class (as well as conceiving the story), explains: "I really, really like [Lucas Till as] Havok, who we're bringing in [to the continuity] at a sort of a different time relative to the comic book lore. It's an extremely cool character. What's great, too, about all of these characters is that they haven't honed their abilities yet. Havok is a danger to himself and everyone around him. That's where this movie is at - the recruiting of these mutants and bringing them together."

Speaking to the LA Times' Hero Complex blog, Singer confirms: "Yes, the timeline is different. It wouldn't physically fit for him to be the brother of Cyclops. We take some liberties on that."

So... there it is, folks. What we've all been wondering. Havok isn't going to be Scott's younger brother. Or his brother at all. This isn't the hugest surprise at this point, as some fans have already speculated as much, even going so far as to suggest that Havok may be Scott's father or uncle (their powers are too similar to disregard ANY family relationship). But it's still a let-down, and leaves a lot of questions such as what will this mean for ever seeing Scott and Emma Frost as a couple on screen?

And hinting at ideas to continue the First Class saga in sequels, he adds: "I don't want to give away certain interrelations, but let's just say there are some things that do adhere to the comic books and do so in a way the fans will get a kick out of. And those things can, perhaps, move forward into the future.

Well this is intriguing...

"That's one reason we wanted to call the film First Class even though it isn't the First Class in the comics. You couldn't really tell that story without going even earlier and explaining how they got there and how it came to be. I liked the title, so we kept it, but this is a prelude in a way that will eventually lead to the [scenarios] that fit in more clearly with the First Class comics and situations."

So BASICALLY what you're saying is... if we give you our money to see this film, you'll give us the films we REALLY want to see? Wink

Singer goes on to say: "We have younger versions of Mystique and Beast, so I'm very excited about them and what they bring to the film. Jennifer Lawrence's work [as Mystique] and Nicholas Hoult's portrayal of Beast - these are characters that we've seen in the earlier films, but then these are very different portrayals and you have to bring a lot of attention to those.

Not gonna lie. I am SO excited to see younger and hopefully more accurate versions of Mystique and Beast.

But fans needn't fret about the comics being ignored. January Jones previously admitted studying the depictions and backstory of her character, James McAvoy already told us he has looked at images of Professor Xavier and strikes the same hand-on-temple psychic pose we see in the books, and Michael Fassbender now adds that he has done his homework on the Magneto of the comics.

Okay, THIS bit is just plain awesome. THANK YOU.

Then Michael Fassbender (Magneto) magnifies the coolness by sharing his knowledge:

"Obviously, what was happening in the concentration camps and then he escaped from there with Magda, fell in love with her, then their child got burned and he ended up killing the whole town and she's like 'Whoa, this is too heavy for me, I gotta leave.' So the love of his life left him."

But we won't be witnessing all of that on the big screen, he says: "We see the stuff that's happening in the concentration camp, but you don't see that relationship (with Magda). I've just held that for my own personal use (in developing) the character, so when we meet him at the beginning of this film, he's definitely a lone wolf.

If only, if only we could see Wanda and Pietro enter into this... Oh well. It's still cool.

He concludes: "There are so many X-Men fans out there. Hopefully, they're going to be happy. They didn't seem to be happy with the last two instalments so hopefully this will please them again."

THIS. Yes. Win. Our unhappiness has not been ignored. They know what they have to win back. Encouraging... yes?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:52 am

http://www.ifanboy.com/content/articles/Year_of_the_X-Men__The_Future_of_the_X-Books_with_Nick_Lowe

Year of the X-Men: The Future of the X-Books with Nick Lowe
4 Posted on Mar 4, 2011 in articles by Paul Montgomery | ShareThis 29 Share0

We wrap up our week of X-rated Marvel press calls with senior editor Nick Lowe. Each day we've talked with creators about individual titles, but today is our chance to talk about the entire line and Lowe's plans for the year to come.

We open by talking about Nick Lowe's favorite era in X-Men history. That being Executioner's Song. Kubert. Peterson. Jae Lee. Capulo on X-Force. He also cites the more recent Morrison and Whedon runs.

Word association time.

New Mutants? PTSD.

Uncanny X-Force? Ballsy.

Uncanny X-Men? Insane.

X-Men. Legacy? Acceleration.

Generation Hope? Innovative.

Let's talk about adjectiveless X-Men. Look for the X-Men and Spider-Man in the New York sewers. Lizard is involved, but not the big bad. Next, "First to Last." Yost returns to take on Giant Size X-Men. We're looking at a "blast from the past to the Lee and Kirby days."

How about Astonishing X-Men? Heading to Japan, fighting Kirby monsters. Wolverine and Armor are the main focus. Lowe promises the story will be moving back into current X-Men continuity. Beast has some scary news involving the Brood. Kitty, Colossus and Storm head off to deal with that. Look for Christos Gage to rotate in with some great Lockheed material.

Lowe acknowledges X-Factor as one of his favorites, the single X-title that many fans read. He cites Peter David as one of the greatest living comic writers. Not many details on upcoming events, but "babies have to come out sometime."

We know Ice-Man and Colossus will be a big deal, but how about some more characters to watch? Strong Guy in X-Factor. Archangel, especially in the next two weeks. Ivy from Generation Hope will be a part of the next big X event they've been teasing. X-Man is not going away. I asked about him specifically later in the chat, and Lowe says Nate will end up on Utopia and serve as a member of a team going forward.

Lowe spoke at length about real world correlations, specifically one boy's story on an episode of This American Life. He's very focused on character and how being a mutant affects a person's everyday life.

We talk some villains. New and classic. Lowe appreciated clear motivations.

The best place to start for new readers interested in checking out the X-books? Uncanny X-Men #534.1. Pacheco. Nuff said.

Just sort of randomly, Lowe teases the word, "Hellfire." So look for enrollment to open again soon?

There is a conclusion to the Hope/Phoenix question. It will happen in the year 2???

I ask about the continued role and prominence of Namor in Uncanny and his relationship with Emma and Scott. "Only just beginning," says Lowe. "The challenge and the goal is to do something different than in other triangles." There are obvious similarities between Namor and Logan, and Cyclops is the constant, but Gillen and Lowe are invested in making this a unique conflict.

Asked about any character or tonal crossover between the upcoming X-Men: First Class flick and the ongoing comics, Lowe nixes any Magneto/Xavier drama. At least for the time being. Though he does say Michael Fassbender is a badass.

Fans looking for Hellion? Watch X-Men Legacy. Sage, Domino, and Elixir? Mostly laying low for now.

Unlike this week's iPad press conference, this call features a "One More Thing." Paul Jenkins upcoming "Prelude" issue teased throughout the week? Very important.

It's full name is X-Men: Prelude to Schism.

Not sure if you're into speculation or anything, but here's a promo image from Greg Land:
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:29 am

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/115/1153951p1.html

X-Men: First Class Set Visit
A brief on-set report plus a preview of our interviews with James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender and Matthew Vaughn.
UK, March 9, 2011 March 9, 2011 March 9, 2011
Share18
by Chris Tilly

At the tail-end of November IGN headed to Pinewood Studios on the outskirts of London to meet the brand-new X-Men on the set of 2011's most eagerly anticipated blockbusters.

A reboot of sorts, X-Men: First Class is set in 1962 - against the back-drop of the Cold War - and introduces the world to Charles Xavier before he became Professor X, Erik Lehnsherr before he became Magneto, and a huge cast of mutant characters.

Produced by Bryan Singer and directed by Kick-Ass helmer Matthew Vaughn, First Class is an attempt to kick-start the franchise following the critical and commercial disappointment of X-Men: The Last Stand, and while there will certainly be nods to the recent trilogy, the plan is to launch First Class as very much a standalone film.

More X-Men: First Class Videos

"This is going to be very different", explains Vaughn during a break between shots. "What I'm doing no one has done in superhero films. It's James Bond, it's a political thriller and it's an X-Men movie. It's not like the other X-Men movies which I think is important. I think they need to sort of take on a new... you know, what Batman Begins did for all those Batman movies? We bloody well need it. I'm not saying it's going to be as good as Batman Begins, but it's the same sort of attitude."

So what of the story? At this early stage we're bound to secrecy regarding specific plot-points, but the film's official synopsis is as follows:

X-Men: First Class charts the epic beginning of the X-Men saga, and reveals a secret history of famous global events. Before mutants had revealed themselves to the world, and before Charles Xavier and Erik Lehnsherr took the names Professor X and Magneto, they were two young men discovering their powers for the first time. Not archenemies, they were instead at first the closest of friends, working together with other Mutants (some familiar, some new), to stop Armageddon. In the process, a grave rift between them opened, which began the eternal war between Magneto's Brotherhood and Professor X's X-Men.

We can talk about cast however, with Vaughn opting for two of the UK's most talented rising stars to play his iconic lead characters.

James McAvoy - best known for his work in Wanted and The Last King of Scotland - plays Charles Xavier, although his will be a very different take on the character to Patrick Stewart's previous incarnation.

"It's set in a completely different time and you are also taking these people to a much earlier point in their personal development as well as their physical and super development", explains McAvoy as he sips on a cup of tea in his trailer.

"What's fun is you get to figure out who they were. For me Charles is a monk. He's like a selfless, egoless, almost sexless force for the betterment of humanity and mortality. And getting to kind of go 'Well, he's got to be different from that' is quite fun because the complete opposite is an ego-fuelled, sexed-up, self-serving dude. And we've not gone too far from that... he's definitely got an ego and he's definitely got a sex drive as well."

Indeed, throughout the day there were hints regarding Xavier's luck on the lady front, both with a young mutant and with Rose Byrne's character - geneticist Dr. Moira MacTaggert.

On the other side of the fence, playing Charles' soon-to-be-nemesis, is 300 and Inglourious Basterds star Michael Fassbender.

Yet while Erik Lehnsherr could be seen as the villain of the piece, the actor says he was attracted by the part's ambiguity. "I don't really think in terms of good and evil. I think about what he wants to get and how motivated he is and what sort of morals he has got in place. It's like I see him very much as a Machiavellian character. The end justifies the means. And you know, he is in a situation where he is really right!"

And what of the relationship between the two characters, the most complex within the X-Men universe and the beating heart of First Class?

"Charles has this sort of empathy for everybody", continues McAvoy. "He has this connection to everybody because he can feel and see their experiences; their memories are his memories. But he wasn't looking for Erik; he didn't know he was there and he suddenly felt Erik and perhaps he has never connected to anybody quite the same way that he connected to Erik, you know? Maybe because of the nature of the horrible things that happened to him and the level of anger that he carries. That makes a big impression on him, not just because he feels empathy for him, but also because it's a big challenge to fix someone and to try to help someone like that."

Neither McAvoy nor Fassbender were shooting the day we visited, but they very kindly stopped by the set for lengthy interviews - to be published at a later date - in which they discussed Nazi-hunting, hair-loss, Murderball, superhero love triangles and Erik's hatred for Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon); Hellfire Club member and the real villain of the piece.

We did however get to witness Vaughn shooting an action-packed set-piece involving an assault on the MIB HQ.

The sequence in question revolved around a group of Shaw's men - led by the devlish Azael (Jason Flemyng) - laying waste to a team of security guards before attacking the compound's recreation room.

Inside, a clearly terrified group of young mutants panic, with their number including Raven (Jennifer Lawrence), Hank (Nicholas Hoult), Angel (Zoe Kravitz), Darwin (Edi Gathegi), Alex (Lucas Till) and Cassidy (Caleb Landry Jones). We grabbed face time with each and every one of them in between shots, which will form our forthcoming 'Mutants of X-Men: First Class' piece.

So with that being saved for a later date, what can we tell you now? Well it looks like X-Men: First Class will be an utterly original take on the superhero genre, setting it apart in a summer chock-full of masked men.

The 1960s setting will ensure that the movie is smothered in cool, from the soundtrack to the costumes to the locations, while a multitude of Bond-like gadgets, vehicles and villainous lairs will doubtless be a welcome addition to the franchise.

In setting the story against the back-drop of real-life historical events - most notably the Cuban Missile Crisis and the Civil Rights movement - First Class is grounded in reality, meaning that the stakes will be higher than in previous movies.

And with a cast that combines the cream of Hollywood's young acting talent with established stars like McAvoy, Fassbender and Bacon, Vaughn may just have assembled the most exciting ensemble of 2011.

Will that be enough to defeat the likes of Thor, Captain America and the Green Lantern at the global box office? Only time will tell, but in the meantime we'll be posting interviews with everyone involved in X-Men: First Class - including an exclusive one-on-one with the film's producer Bryan Singer - right up until the film's release at the end of May.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:59 pm

http://macatron.com/2011/03/hot-news/exclusive-x-men-first-class-action-effects-info-%E2%80%93-the-daily-blam/

Exclusive X-MEN: FIRST CLASS Action & Effects Info – The Daily BLAM

Exclusive: A crew member from the set of Fox’ upcoming X-Men prequel hails the film’s action scenes as being on par with Inception and The Dark Knight and has disclosed a few promising tidbits about a particular scene.

Though our insider does not wished to be titled at this point, he has provided us with a few details about X-Men: First Class’ action sequences which are being overseen by well-respected stunt coordinator Tom Struthers. Struthers has recently received accolades for his groundbreaking work on Christopher Nolanâ??s latest two films Inception and The Dark Knight. â??These guys are some of the ideal in the industry and they establish it each time. What I can say, with complete confidence is that the action will be beyond expectations.” He went on to state that some of the action scenes in the latest X-Men sequel â??go bigâ? and are on par with what fans have seen in Nolanâ??s last two films.

It also appears that director Matthew Vaughn is utilizing as many practical effects for the film as possible, even for scenes where most filmmakers would select post production CG work. â??They used some of the most high tech equipment I have ever seen. Computerized flying rigs connected to five or six giant cranes that were healthy to smoothly glide an person 60 feet in the air… up and down, side to side and even turn them. The fact that they are literally flying (obviously from a wire) takes away the cheesy green screen effect. These guys were healthy to fly around sections of the beach the size of a football field; any direction under full control.

Our insider proceeded to detail a scene that takes place on a famous ship called the R/V Knorr, which is a research vessel responsible for discovering the wreckage of the Titanic. In First Class, the ship was transformed to resemble a Coast Guard vessel. Here is the info:

“There is an intense action sequence taking place in the ocean where nine Black Ops team members in three small tactical boats approach and attempt to board the other ship carrying Kevin Bacon as Sebastian Shaw and other members of the Hellfire Club.

“This all happens in the cover of night, and as the team tries to climb aboard the target ship at a high rate of speed they are one by one flipped violently out of the boats by Erik Lenssher (Magneto).”

X-Men First Class charts the epic beginning of the X-Men saga, and reveals a secret history of famous global events. Before mutants had revealed themselves to the world, and before Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr took the obloquy Professor X and Magneto, they were two young men discovering their powers for the first time. Not archenemies, they were instead at first the closest of friends, working together with other Mutants (some familiar, some new), to stop Armageddon. In the process, a grave rift between them opened, which began the eternal war between Magneto’s Brotherhood and Professor X’s X-Men.

Directed by Matthew Vaughn, the film stars saint McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Rose Byrne, Jones, Kevin Bacon, Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence, Caleb Landry Jones, Lucas Till, Edi Gathegi, Jason Flemyng, Oliver Platt, Morgan Lily, Zoe Kravitz, Bill Bilner. X-Men: First Class opens in theaters on June 3rd, 2011.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:57 pm

http://marvelousnews.com/index.php?itemid=13933

X Marks The Spot With New X-Men: First Class Movie Theater Promo Materials
by Jay Cochran in Marvel at 01:12 PM on 2011.03.16

Marvel has revealed some new promo materials you may want to keep an eye out for the next time you are at the movie theater. These are for the upcoming 20th Century Fox "X-Men: First Class" movie. There will be a new X-Men First Class standee logo and floor sticker.

X-MEN: FIRST CLASS charts the epic beginning of the X-Men saga, and reveals a secret history of famous global events. Before mutants had revealed themselves to the world, and before Charles Xavier and Erik Lehnsherr took the names Professor X and Magneto, they were two young men discovering their powers for the first time. Not archenemies, they were instead at first the closest of friends, working together with other Mutants (some familiar, some new), to prevent nuclear Armageddon. In the process, a grave rift between them opened, which began the eternal war between Magneto’s Brotherhood and Professor X’s X-Men.

The film stars James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Rose Byrne, January Jones, Oliver Platt, and Kevin Bacon. Matthew Vaughn (“Kick-Ass”) directs, and the producers are Lauren Shuler Donner, Simon Kinberg and Bryan Singer. Singer, who helmed the acclaimed blockbusters “X-Men” and “X2,” wrote the story for X-MEN: FIRST CLASS.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:02 pm

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2011/03/28/x-men-first-class-sebastian-shaw-riptide-azazel/

New 'X-Men: First Class' Character Details Revealed: Sebastian Shaw, Riptide, Azazel, And More!

Posted 2 hrs ago by Chris Arrant in Marvel, News

X-Men: First ClassAlthough it's little over two months away, many details of the upcoming "X-Men: First Class" are still being kept under wraps. However, a spate of recent posts on the film's Facebook page have revealed a bit more info about the film.

Over the past few days, the "X-Men: First Class" Facebook page has been a hive of activity, with updated information, photos, as well as Q&A sessions with the producers, actors and directors. Of particular interest is the character bios that go beyond formal facts and give hints as to each character's origin and relation to others in this swinging '60s mutant tale.

Of all the information revealed, a standout is the character description for Hellfire Club head Sebastian Shaw (played by Kevin Bacon). Departing from his comic book origin, it reveals that Shaw was a Nazi collaborator and played a part in Magneto's childhood in the concentration camps of World War II.

The entry reads: "Shaw, a force of incalculable evil, was a Nazi collaborator whose early research forever altered the life of a young Erik Lensherr. Shaw can absorb energy and re-channel it, and he will stop at nothing to start a war to ensure that mutants inherit the earth."

There are also some interesting descriptions of Angel Salvadore, Azazel, and Riptide, three lesser-known characters who will get a spotlight in the film.

On Angel Salvadore: "The beautiful ex-dancer possesses a stunning tattoo of insect-like wings, which become actual wings growing from her back, giving her the gift of flight. Her arsenal is a deadly acid, which she projectile vomits in combat."

On Azazel: "A demonic figure, Azazel can teleport by opening a portal into another dimension. He is a key player in Sebastian Shaw's plans to make sure that mutants inherit the planet."

On Riptide: "Never far from the side of his leader, Sebastian Shaw, Riptide creates powerful whirlwinds that can demolish buildings and challenge even the most powerful mutants."

There's loads more to be found, with information on virtually every character in the upcoming film revealed.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:58 am

http://thereel-scoop.blogspot.com/2011/03/x-men-first-class-character-profiles.html

Sunday, March 27, 2011
X-Men: First Class Character Profiles
One of the biggest and most anticipated movies of the summer, X-Men: First Class hits theaters June 3rd. The is the fifth installment of the X-Men film series (which includes X-Men Origins: Wolverine) and is a prequel to the first three movies. This film will focus on the relationship between Professor X (played by James McAvoy) and Magneto (played by Michael Fassbender) and the origin of their groups, the X-Men and the Brotherhood of Mutants. With that said I thought we could go inside each character, seeing what their roles are in the film and the actors and actresses playing said parts.

Below is the official premise for X-Men: First Class to get you up to speed then on with the character profiles.

"Before Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr took the names Professor X and Magneto, they were two young men discovering their powers for the first time. Before they were archenemies, they were closest of friends, working together, with other Mutants (some familiar, some new), to stop the greatest threat the world has ever known. In the process, a rift between them opened, which began the eternal war between Magneto’s Brotherhood and Professor X’s X-Men."

James McAvoy: Professor Charles Xavier is the leader and founder of the X-Men and one of Magneto's best friends until conflicts of opinion create a rivalry between them and their teams. He is a mutant with the power of telepathy. His power is so strong he can control the minds of others. Laurence Belcher will play a young Charles Xavier in the film.

Michael Fassbender: Erik Lehnsherr AKA Magneto is the leader and founder of the Brotherhood of Mutants and one of Professor X's best friends until conflicts of opinion create a rivalry between them and their teams. Magneto's mutant powers give him mastery over all electromagnetic forces. He can perceive the magnetic forces of the earth and bioelectrical patterns of all living beings. He can use his power to reshape even the most indestructible metals in existence, including Adamantium. Bill Milner will play a young Erik Lehnsherr in the film.

Kevin Bacon: Sebastian Shaw is the leader of a secret society bent on taking over the world called the Hellfire Club. Shaw is a mutant who possesses the ability to absorb kinetic energy and transform it into raw strength.

January Jones: Emma Frost AKA White Queen is a mutant with the power of telepathy which include mind control and thought projections. She can also change her body into diamond form. She is a member of the Hellfire Club and is described as coldly calculating, manipulative and secretive.

Rose Byrne: Dr. Moira MacTaggert is a HUMAN scientist with an authority on genetic mutation and the love interest of Charles Xavier. Dr. McTaggart was known for her fierce determination, her sympathy to the mutant cause, and her ability to argue even Professor Xavier down.

Nicholas Hoult: Dr. Henry "Hank" McCoy AKA Beast is a former scientist and political activist, who transformed into a frightening looking mutant, but is kind at heart. A mutant, his powers are super-strength, invulnerability, and the ability to stick to the ceiling with his feet. He performed an experiment on himself when he was at the school which is the cause of his blue fur. He fights crime as a member of the X-Men and often acts as the brains of the teams, being the smartest of them all.

Jennifer Lawrence: Raven Darkholme AKA Mystique is a dangerous shapeshifting mutant with the ability to turn into anyone. Mystique assumes all physical attributes of those she is mimicing including finger prints, retinal patterns and she can shift her vocal cords to match their voice. However, she cannot replicate powers of people she copies. Her mutation also slows her aging process. Mystique is an extremely skilled hand to hand combatant and also highly proficient with a wide variety of weaponry. Morgan Lilly will play a young Raven Darkholme.

Zoë Kravitz: Angel Salvadore is a mutant with insectoid physiology. She has a pair of veined wings that grow from her back and allow her to fly. She can also vibrate her wings at high speed to create a deafening ultrasonic sound.

Caleb Landry Jones: Sean Cassidy AKA Banshee is an Irish mutant with the ability of sonic screaming. He can hover or fly at the speed of sound and generate sonic blasts which strike with tremendous concussive force, liquefying or outright disintegrating targets at his highest levels of power.

Lucas Till: Alex Summers AKA Havok is a mutant possessing the power to absorb ambient cosmic energy, process it and emanate it from his body as waves of energy that heat the air in the path, turning it into plasma in the form of a blast or discharge. These waves will emanate from his body in all directions unless he purposefully tries to channel them in a single direction, usually along the length of his arms.

Álex González: Janos Quested AKA Riptide is a mutant with the ability to spin his body at an incredibly fast rate. He also has the ability to generate calcium growth from his bones that protrude through his skin, often taking the form of shurikens and spikes. When he spins, Riptide can release these growths at will from his skin, the additional velocity that comes from his spinning making them lethal missiles that can even punch through steel.

Jason Flemyng: Azazel is Nightcrawler's father who has the ability to teleport across interdimensional distances, generate bolts and streams of paralyzing energy, as well as destructive energy which causes a form of disintegration, and can disguise his appearance.

Edi Gathegi: Armando Muñoz AKA Darwin is a mutant with the power of reactive evolution. His body automatically adapts to any situation or environment he is placed in, allowing him to survive possibly anything. Examples of his powers include gaining night-vision after a few seconds in the dark, functional gills after being submerged in water, fire-proof skin after being exposed to flame and converting his body into pure energy.

Profiles aside I think these characters, unlike the characters from the previous X-Men films will all get a chance to shine. There are so many new interesting characters to follow that it will feel good for a change to not have to solely focus on Wolverine, Storm and Cyclops. Once this film hits theaters a the new/old generation of X-Men will begin and seeing the state that superhero movies are in, it's a welcomed change and one that I look forward to seeing for years to come.
Posted by Chris A at 2:46 PM
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:09 am

http://movie-cafe.blogspot.com/2011/03/before-evolution-begins-witness-first.html

Mar 31, 2011
Before the Evolution Begins, Witness the First Class Origin
Based on the "X-Men" comics 'Uncanny X-Men' (1963) and 'X-Men: First Class' (2006), this summer we'll see the beginnings of the leaders of the two tribes of mutants that waged war across the first trilogy. “X-Men: First Class” will be a quite interesting story, not only since it seems Marvel is trying very hard to avoid the stink of “X-Men: The Last Stand” but also because the original “X-Men” film showed only the first manifestation of Magneto's powers, and we didn't see any of the intervening fifty-plus years in which he met Professor X then strayed from the path of justice. All X-Men fans probably know that Charles and Erik had once been best friends. They also know that the two friends formed a partnership, building Cerebro and starting a school for gifted students; however, there are many fans who have never read the comics or perused the Marvel Directory and read their back stories. In addition, the Kennedy-era setting sounds like it will adds a whole new layer of coolness to the whole affair. Presents an exciting opportunity to further explore the history and relationships of these beloved characters of X-Men universe, director Matthew Vaughn's combination of talent, verve and vision is hopefully will be perfectly suited to the task. Vaughn absolutely is one of the names that fans could get excited about, he was hired to direct “X-Men 3” after Singer dropped out of that one a few years back but also dropped out himself for a variety of reasons. And he swears now that his movie would have been a lot better than what Brett Ratner did with the franchise. It’s clear Fox is trying to win the fans back with the decisions to bring Bryan Singer back as the producer and to bring in Vaughn, the man who demands creative freedom and almost hired to direct the third film in first trilogy, to direct now. And there also a pretty impressive line up of actors including James McAvoy who’s able to capture Charles' compassionate and empathetic nature which is evident in the newly released trailer, Michael Fassbender who portrays Erik ‘Magneto’ Lehnsherr with such charisma that it is easy for fans to root for the bad guy, a trait his forerunner Ian McKellen first conveyed to the screen, and Kevin Bacon as one of the greatest X-Men villains ever since his inception three decades ago, Sebastian Shaw. Other members of ‘First Class club’ are Jennifer Lawerence as Mystique who keeps an intriguing back story about her deep attraction to Magneto; Nicholas Hoult as the young Hank McCoy aka Beast; Jason Flemyng as the teleporting mutant also the biological father of Nightcrawler, Azazel; Lucas Till as Alex Summers (Havok), Scott Summers/Cyclops’ father; January Jones as Emma Frost, a member of the Shaw’s Hellfire Club who can also change her body into diamond form; Rose Byrne as Moira MacTaggert, Charles Xavier's true love who was briefly seen in "The Last Stand"; Oliver Platt as "The Man in Black"; Zoë Kravitz as Angel Salvadore; Caleb Landry Jones as Banshee; and Edi Gathegi as Darwin. All in all, the trailer also looks like a huge improvement on the last two X-films, at least so far. But we might have to wait until it hits theaters to know if we are getting a good “X-Men” film (X2: X-Men United) or a bad one (X-Men: The Last Stand). Fingers crossed!

Set during the 1960s when John F. Kennedy was president of the United States, the story will focus on the relationship between Professor X and Magneto and the origin of their groups, the X-Men and the Brotherhood of Mutants, also parallels the history of the Cuban Missile Crisis and the Civil Rights Movement. Before Charles Xavier (James McAvoy) and Erik Lensherr (Michael Fassbender) took the names Professor X and Magneto, they were two young men discovering their powers for the first time. Before they were archenemies, they were closest of friends, working together, with other Mutants (some familiar, some new), to stop the greatest threat the world has ever known. In the process, a rift between them opened, which began the eternal war between Magneto’s Brotherhood and Professor X’s X-Men.

Before they were mutants, these were the facts:

# The fifth installment of the X-Men film series and a prequel to the first three movies, Fox envisions this film as the first in a new trilogy.

# In April 2006 Zak Penn (X2, X-Men: The Last Stand) was hired to write and direct this film; he was going to make a prequel about Magneto, in a vein similar to “X-Men Origins: Wolverine” (2009). However, the filmmakers decided to shift the focus from the early years of one mutant to those of the X-Men. Penn found this approach more interesting than what he'd come up with and so stepped down with his blessing.

# Josh Schwartz (“Chuck” TV series) wrote an early version of the screenplay, but once Bryan Singer became attached, his script was ditched as Singer wanted to take the story in a different direction. Jamie Moss (Street Kings) was subsequently hired to write a new draft, which added elements of the “Magneto” spin-off.

# Singer dropped out of the director's position in March 2010 due to his commitment to a “Jack the Giant Killer” adaptation. He formalized his duties from director to producer.

# Matthew Vaughn signed on as Singer's replacement. He wanted to model “X-Men: First Class” after the 2009 “Star Trek” film, taking the franchise in a new direction with a fresh, young cast.

# Vaughn was originally hired to direct “X-Men: The Last Stand” (2006), but left citing pressure from the studio to finish the film within a short time.

# This film marks Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy first appearance together since "Band of Brothers" (2001) at the start of their careers.

# A telepathic battle scene between Professor X and Emma Frost that was to have been set in a dream sequence with revolving a gravity-defying room was scrapped after the release of “Inception”.

# The 1960s setting of “X-Men: First Class” will be technologically inspired by the James Bond films of that era, also adding to the international feel of the characters.

# The uniforms the X-Men wear are colored blue and yellow, in homage to the original blue/yellow suits the X-Men wore in the comics from1963 (their debut) to 2001 (when “X-Men” (2000) inspired a change to black leather).

# Filming was originally to take place on Tybee Island, but a producer browsing on the online map program Google Earth found Jekyll Island to be a more suitable location.

# Taylor Lautner was considered to play Hank McCoy (aka Beast) but dropped out due to scheduling conflicts. Nicholas Hoult was later cast.

# Broadway actor Benjamin Walker was also previously cast as Beast, however he dropped out of the role to star in the Broadway musical Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson.

# Amber Heard was rumored to play Mystique before Jennifer Lawrence was cast.

# It takes the makeup artist about six hours to transform Lawrence into Mystique with the blue skins and the scales. Lawrence even has a nickname for the process or the makeup -- "Mystink."

# Rosamund Pike was considered to play Moira McTaggert and later for Emma Frost.

# Alice Eve was cast as Emma Frost, but a deal couldn't be reached and January Jones was cast instead. Sarah Harding (St. Trinian's) even was called back three times for the role of Emma Frost.

# Sirs Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen were considered to appear in the film as the elder Professor X and Magneto, but the idea was rejected as the filmmakers wanted to start a new X-Men trilogy, without any connection to the previous films.

X-Mark your calendar on:
June 01, 2011: France
June 02: Australia, Greece, Kazakhstan, Malaysia, Netherlands, Portugal, Russia, Singapore, UK
June 03: Canada, Estonia, Finland, India, Italy, Norway, Poland, Sweden, Turkey, USA
June 09: Germany
June 11: Japan
June 18: Armenia

Sources: IMDB, Wikipedia – Photos courtesy of 20th Century Fox
Posted By: Jaccstev at 12:12 PM
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:26 am

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/archives/2011/03/31/11_spoilers_given_from_the_cast_of_x-men_first_class/

11 Spoilers Revealed By The Cast Of ‘X-Men: First Class’

The nature of blogging is innate curiosity mixed with a badger’s knack for burrowing and so trafficking in minor (and occasionally major) spoilers becomes an occupational hazard you just have to live with. But even writers want some mystery to the films we eventually see and we must admit the cast and crew of “X-Men: First Class,” perhaps so eager to promote the film, have been robbing the picture of its allure by giving away seemingly every plot and character detail like it’s a fire sale.

So take that as a clear warning—if you want to remain surprised going into this summer’s comic tentpole you would best be advised to skip this article. We’ve parsed the latest batch of interviews by the talent involved and highlighted the most noteworthy portions so, if you’re dying of curiosity about what Matthew Vaughn and his team have cooked up for the film, read on. “X-Men: First Class” hits theaters on June 3rd.

1. Oliver Platt’s mysterious Man In Black character is no longer mysterious.
“The Man In Black runs a super secret division of the CIA devoted to investigating the application of mental telepathy and paranormal power in military defense. He has long been a laughing stock of the Agency because of this. His department is known as ‘Division X’,” Platt said. Glad to hear there’s still a sense of enigma to this character.

2. Oliver Platt plays a CIA agent that apparently has no idea what secrecy is about.
“When Charles and Mystique become ensnared with the Agency, the Man in Black diverts them to his division with a deft bureaucratic sleight of hand. Erik soon joins them and The X-Men flourish under MIB’s protection.”

3. In “X-Men: First Class” we will see why Charles Xavier (James McAvoy) no longer walks on his own accord.
“We see why he can no longer walk and why he is in a wheelchair,” McAvoy told IGN this week in a spoiler-heavy interview. “And hopefully we’ll find out why he lost his hair as well. In the comics he loses his hair when he sort of gains or discovers his powers. But obviously that is not the way they wanted to go in this case.”

4. Love triangles in the film are explored, however some love triangles that appear in the comics aren’t, but might be in future installments
“We explore the relationship of Moira and Charles but not with Banshee—at least not yet!” Rose Byrne who plays Moira MacTaggert said.

5. There’s another love triangle in the film and also Charles Xavier might be a date rapist according to McAvoy
“[The relationship in the film is] between me and Rose [Byrne]... it’s just me and Rose. There is a love triangle between me, Michael Fassbender and Jennifer Lawrence who plays Raven. It’s not a love triangle… basically she’s my assistant in this film, and obviously by the other films she is not my assistant anymore; she is very much not my assistant. Actually that’s quite good fun to see how that relationship disintegrates and why she ultimately goes over to the dark side as well. But yeah, it’s fun to inject a bit of romance into Charles’ life and not always to see him welcomed with it as well. He’s a little bit forlorn and he doesn’t really take ‘no’ for an answer.” OK then.

6. The movies deviate from the chronology of the comics at lot. For example Havoc, who is Cyclops’ brother in the comics, is not in “X-Men:First Class.” Moira MacTaggert is Scottish in the comics, but in the movie she’s American.
“No, Matthew Vaughn was adamant she be American—despite James McAvoy’s slight disappointment as he is Scottish,” Byrne said. “We did our best to maintain continuity with the other films. But as sometimes happens for the sake of telling the most compelling story possible, we made a few concessions,” executive producer and story creator Bryan Singer admitted.

7. James McAvoy reveals the entire arc of the movie for mutants.
“Anybody who has any kind of mutant power in them is leading a very secretive and sometimes messed up life. I don’t think there is the sense yet that they are appreciated as the underclass or feared yet, but we do get to that stage where we all start to realize that: OK, there is a group of us, and we go through our sort of period of fraternity time where we are all having a great time because we realize we are not alone and suddenly we are making connections for the first time in our lives. Then things get serious and ultimately we realize that it is not just going to be a case of, ‘We’ve got these great powers, aren’t we a great addition to the Planet Earth?’ There is a lot of fear attached to it and that ultimately sort of explains the split between Erik and Charles, because one is an optimistic and one is sort of a fatalist really, or a realist maybe you could argue.”

8. McAvoy entirely reveals the character arc, mentality and outlook of Michael Fassbender’s Magneto character.
“Erik definitely is not a force for bad. What he is doing is a good thing. That’s arguable. You can argue that killing people is never a good thing, but he’s killing some pretty bad people that did some terrible things to him. He is definitely a lot more sympathetic anyway, whether he’s doing bad things or good things. You know, the first time we see him as an adult he is chasing Nazis. You know why he’s doing it and I don’t think even if you are a pacifist, even if you don’t believe in carrying guns, you can understand and empathize with exactly what he’s going through. Where that takes him in the film is something that hopefully we would all fear because he takes quite an extreme approach. Whether he has been harboring that for the entire story or not or whether that is something that is growing from a particular event or particular moment in the film is something that I’m unclear on actually.”

9. There’s one character from the old comics that Singer wanted to include in these films, but hasn’t been able to. Does this mean he will feature in the inevitable sequels?
That character is the speedster character, Quiksilver.

10. Nicholas Hoult actually liked what Kelsey Grammer did in “X-Men: The Last Stand” and tried to model his performance after his to some degree.
“I thought Kelsey Grammer did a fantastic job when he portrayed Beast,” he said. “His charm and eloquence was something I wanted to try and emulate. However, in ‘First Class’ I play Hank younger before becoming a politician, when he is a scientist and still learning about himself and his abilities. So I didn’t want to try and just play a younger Kelsey but also bring something new to the role.”

11. No, really.
“In preparation for the role I watched lots of ‘Frasier’ and listened to people who spoke with a similar accent to Kelsey, my dialect coach and I worked on creating something towards Kelsey’s dialect but without being an imitation. I also did lots of fitness training as being in the Beast costume and make up could be very tiring and tough physically.”

So, there you have it. Any other questions about the film? The cast has done a pretty good job of painting both the broad and smaller strokes the film will have but you know what, we’re still pretty pumped. And we’re also mostly curious to hear Nicholas Hoult’s Kelsey Grammer impression. [IGN/Facebook]
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:59 am

http://www.sidekickcomicsuk.com/blogs/blog4.php/2011/04/01/x-men-first-class-exclusive-james-mcavoy

X-Men: First Class *EXCLUSIVE* James McAvoy wil be bald

by Gavin Jones Email

We have heard today from a source in the X-Camp that by the end of X-Men: First Class James McAvoy's Charles Xavier will not only be in a wheelchair but also sporting a full on cue ball head, that's right he WILL be bald. Obviously the picture at the top of this post is just a photoshopped image of how he may look but it gives you an idea of what we can expect in future X-Films if McAvoy stays on as the character.

The baldness and the lack of walking both come from Xavier's final battle with Michael Fassbender's Magneto, your guess is as good as mine as to just what sort of fight would make someone's hair fall out?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:30 pm

http://theimportanceofbeingoreo.wordpress.com/2011/04/03/wondercon-2011-green-lantern-and-the-absence-of-x-men/

WonderCon 2011: Green Lantern and the absence of X-Men

3 Apr

WonderCon, we shall say is the baby sister of ComicCon, the three day weekend that has fanboys over in America squealing with delight. Mainly showcasing stalls and stalls of comic backissues, and then movies based on comic books this is a big hitter for the actors, actresses, directors and producers of the movies that are to follow this year.

The big one for me was the preview of Green Lantern, Ryan Reynolds stars as Hal Jordan and Blake Lively as Carol Ferris, other stars include Mark Strong, Peter Sarsgaard and Geoffrey Rush. The preview scenes are fantastic, not being picky because I aren’t familiar with the actual comic book itself the film itself looks brilliant. The effects don’t look overdone but it is to be in 3d, Ryan Reynolds is funny which is always a good thing and I can’t help it but he looks hot in the suit. There were no teasers of Blake Lively’s Carol Ferris/Star Sapphire costume, but apparently she hinted that she requested for more material, so boys I’m sure you’ll all be happy that Blake has her boobs out no doubt a definite trademark of hers.

According to Latino Review, Ryan Reynolds was asked a fair few questions about the ominous Deadpool. He deflected some, but the main gist is that he’s waiting on Fox and that the Justice League movie is “in development”, he said he didn’t want to get into the Deadpool stuff in regards to an individual movie but said of the Deadpool character – “He’s not a villain, he’s an asshole”.

A big vacant hole was left by X-Men: First Class not appearing at WonderCon, which surprised me considering its release at the beginning of June, but I’m assuming it will just rely heavily on its huge fanbase rather than having preview teasers although a panel would have worked well. It would be nice to see an official poster rather than that sh*#&% one that was released on the net a few months ago that didn’t even look real.

Empire magazine debuted its double cover X-Men edition, featuring James McAvoy as Charles Xavier, Nicholas Hoult as Beast and Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique who does not look as good as Rebecca Romjin did but I’m assuming she will look better on screen. The alternate cover sees Michael Fassbender as Erik Renshaw, January Jones as Emma Frost and Jason Flemyng as Azazel whos costume make up I’m not familiar with that looks pretty cheap.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:18 pm

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue May 03, 2011 6:06 pm

For ticket information visit www.nationalmovieawards.com

http://www.newsonnews.net/itv/8486-take-that-to-exclusively-perform-x-men-movie-soundtrack-at-national-movie-awards-on-itv.html

Take That to Exclusively Perform X-Men Movie Soundtrack at National Movie Awards on ITV
Tuesday, 03 May 2011 10:43

Take That to Exclusively Perform X-Men Movie Soundtrack at National Movie Awards on ITVOne of the most successful British bands of all time Take That, will wow viewers of next week’s National Movie Awards with a world-first performance of Love Love, their new single taken from upcoming X-Men blockbuster, X Men: First Class.

Performing to a LIVE audience of movie stars and industry A-listers, Gary, Howard, Jason, Mark and Robbie will take centre stage for an exclusive, one-off rendition of the Love Love single at the glittering awards ceremony filmed from London’s Wembley Arena for ITV1.

The Band commented: “We’re really happy to be asked back to perform at the National Movie Awards, it’s always a great night. It’ll be the first time that we perform our brand new song Love Love, so we’re looking forward to getting out there and singing it live for everyone.”

Directed by Matthew Vaughn, X Men: First Class is one of the movies in contention at this year’s L’Oréal Paris National Movie Awards, featuring in the Must See Movie of the Summer category. With seven categories in all, this year’s Best Drama category sees the Best of British - The King’s Speech and 127 Hours go head-to-head with Hollywood blockbusters Black Swan and The Social Network.

The National Movie Awards, now in its fourth year, will be one of the most glitzy, glamorous and gripping awards events of the year, presented for the first time by Christine Bleakley. Previous star attendees include Tom Cruise, Gwyneth Paltrow, Nicole Kidman, Meryl Streep, Jamie Foxx, Daniel Radcliffe, Chris Rock, Orlando Bloom, Emma Watson and Dame Helen Mirren.

The ceremony differs from others in the film awards calendar, in that all the trophies scooped at this glittering event have been voted for by the most important Academy of all: the British public – film fans have been able to vote via every cinema across the UK, online, phone and by post.

Tickets are now on sale for fans looking to catch their favourite band in action, and watch as the top trophies are handed out to the hottest movies and stars.

For ticket information visit www.nationalmovieawards.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri May 06, 2011 8:46 pm

http://mytimekiller.info/movies/bryan-singer-thinks-theres-room-for-wolverine-in-x-men-first-class-sequel.html

Bryan Singer Thinks There’s Room For Wolverine In ‘X-Men: First Class’ Sequel
Posted on May. 6th, 2011 by admin

Matthew Vaughn’s upcoming, ‘X-Men: First Class’ has quite the assortment of old and new mutants in it, but one who has been excluded is Wolverine, who’s been played by Hugh Jackman in every other live-action ‘X-Men’ film thus far. Speaking with IGN, producer, Bryan Singer revealed that the character may make his return in one of the planned sequels, however. He said:

“I think there would definitely be room. I think it would be a very exciting thing. This universe has to establish itself first, but that would be a very interesting and fun thing.”

‘First Class’ will be the first live-action ‘X-Men’ film in which Wolverine is not a prominent character. Unfettered, Singer is confident that the film is more than able to stand on its own in his absence. He explained:

“It’s a completely different film. Xavier and Magneto are important characters as well. It’s just a different X-Men film. I obviously love the character, but you can’t not do it just because he’s not in it.”

Hugh Jackman was set to reprise his role as the character in ‘The Wolverine,’ but with a director yet to replace Darren Aronofsky at the helm, and with the setting of the film, Japan in such turmoil, the project is at a stand-still. Jackman is wanted for Shawn Levy’s ‘Fantastic Voyage,’ but that film is in the distance.

‘X-Men: First Class’ stars James McAvoy as Charles Xavier, and Michael Fassbender as Erik Lehnsherr, who comes to be known as Magneto. A prequel to 2000′s ‘X-Men,’ the film takes place in the early 1960′s before the conflicting ideals of Charles and Erik put them on opposite ends of a war. It’s hitting theaters next month on June 3. To get better acquainted with a couple of the other cast members of ‘First Class,’ check out these character-specific trailers which were released earlier.

Source: IGN
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri May 06, 2011 9:06 pm

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2011/05/06/x-men-first-class-soundtrack-coming-in-june/

‘X-Men: First Class’ Soundtrack Coming in June
Posted: May 6, 2011 by filmmusicreporter in Film Music Albums

While X-Men: First Class is still awaiting an official soundtrack release announcement, the album has appeared on several European online stores over the last couple of days. Sony Classical has been identified as the label and the soundtrack looks to be released on June 6, 2011 in the UK. Another update will be made when the domestic release date and more details about the album’s contents become available. Given the choice to release the soundtrack on Sony’s Classical label, it is safe to say that the album will most likely include Henry Jackman‘s original score. As has been reported by various websites, Take That‘s song Love Love has been chosen as the end credits song for the film and could also be featured on the soundtrack. X-Men: First Class directed by Matthew Vaughn tells the origin story of the characters of the X-Men series including Magneto and Professor X. The film’s cast includes James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Kevin Bacon, Jennifer Lawrence and Rosamunde Pike. For more information on the movie, which will be released on June 3, visit the official movie webpage.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri May 13, 2011 10:05 pm

http://gamingsnirvana.blogspot.com/2011/05/caption-this-x-men-first-class-could-it.html

Thursday, May 12, 2011
Caption This: X-Men First Class, could it actually be good?
You guys know the drill, this picture is just begging to become a Gif. But while interwebbers everywhere are deciding on how to best optimize this future meme, it's up to us to provide a clever caption. Here's what I came up with off the top of my head:

Caption 1:
Charles Xavier: Stop looking at me. I can't go if you're both watching.

Caption 2:
Banshee: Umm, Charles? Is everything okay?

Charles: Quiet Sean! I'm trying to listen.

Mystique: What do you hear, Charlie?

Charles: It's tough to say. I'm only getting bits and pieces but one thing is for sure, Raven, this baby doesn't like staying in one place. His telepathic energy is fading in and out.

Banshee: Then what's with that look on your face?

Charles: Oh, Nothing. I just finally know what a real girl feels like...

Mystique and Banshee: *slowly turn toward Charles.* C'mon Charles, not in the new uniform.

On a related side-note: The film is actually shaping up to be quite good. With a supposed running time of 140 minutes, we might actually get a well thought out and carefully crafted X-film that's worth watching. And if all else fails, James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender will totally own the roles of Professor X and Magneto. In short, I may have to eat my words because I initially wrote this off as total garbage but the trailers have managed to convince me this is worth a view in theaters before passing judgement. June 3rd can't come fast enough. Hehe, see what I did there? I apologize... that was a terrible pun, even by my Spider-Man standards.
Posted by Vinny Parisi at 10:43 AM
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat May 21, 2011 9:26 pm

http://mheij.wordpress.com/2011/05/21/x-men-first-class/

X-Men First Class: The Saga Begins
May 21, 2011 karen Leave a comment Go to comments

Do you know what are X-Men is or did you ever hear about the it? Then if you are maybe you are waiting for the upcoming installation of the well known comics characters in your TV screen or in the theater. Watch the X-men first class as they will portrait the beginning of the Great two characters Professor X and Magneto and how it all begins.

As you can seen in the trailer of the film Professor X is just ordinary human and he have a best friend Erik Lehnsherr and Later on become Magneto. This two become friends and later one they become the great rivalry from the X-Men team and the Brotherhood of Mutants.

The X-Men first class is the upcoming American Superhero film and directed by Matthew Vaughn. The film is set in 1962 and will focus on the relationship between Professor X and Magneto and the origin of their groups, the X-Men and the Brotherhood of Mutants. The film stars James McAvoy as Professor X and Michael Fassbender as Magneto. Other cast members include Kevin Bacon, January Jones, Rose Byrne, Jennifer Lawrence, Zoe Kravitz, and Lucas Till. The film was mostly shot in England and parts of the United States. Fox envisions this film as the first in a new trilogy.
Here is the plot of the upcoming X-Men First Class.

“X-MEN FIRST CLASS charts the epic beginning of the X-Men saga, and reveals a secret history of famous global events. Before mutants had revealed themselves to the world, and before Charles Xavier and Erik Lehnsherr took the names Professor X and Magneto, they were two young men discovering their powers for the first time. Not archenemies, they were instead at first the closest of friends, working together with other Mutants (some familiar, some new), to prevent nuclear Armageddon. In the process, a grave rift between them opened, which began the eternal war between Magneto’s Brotherhood and Professor X’s X-Men.”
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat May 28, 2011 4:22 am

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2011/05/20/x-men-fist-class-soundtrack-details/

‘X-Men: Fist Class’ Soundtrack Details
Posted: May 20, 2011 by filmmusicreporter in Film Music Albums

Sony Masterworks has revealed the details for the upcoming soundtrack release for X-Men: First Class. The album features 20 tracks of Henry Jackman‘s original score for the comic book adaptation. The album will be released on June 21, 2011 and is currently available to pre-order on Amazon. As reported earlier this month, the album is listed to be released overseas on June 6, 2011 at the moment (check out the alternate cover art below). X-Men: First Class directed by Matthew Vaughn tells the origin story of the characters of the X-Men series including Magneto and Professor X. The film’s cast includes James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Kevin Bacon, Jennifer Lawrence and Rosamunde Pike. For more information on the movie, which will be released on June 3, visit the official movie webpage.

Here’s the track list of the soundtrack:

1. First Class
2. Pain and Anger
3. Would You Date Me?
4. Not That Sort Of Bank
5. Frankenstein’s Monster
6. What Am I thinking
7. Cerebro
8. Mobilise For Russia
9. Rise Up To Rule
10. Cold War
11. X-Training
12. Rage and Serenity
13. To Beast Or Not To Beast
14. True Colours
15. Let Battle Commence
16. Sub Lift
17. Coup d’État
18. Mutant and Proud
19. X-Men
20. Magneto

Here’s the alternate cover art:
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun May 29, 2011 9:43 pm

http://www.mojodojo.co.za/2011/05/30/x-men-superpowers/

The raddest X-Men superpowers… ever!
We’re geeking out extremely hard over the coming X-Men: First Class flick. And, during our extensive geek research, we’ve been reviewing some of our favourite characters and powers. So, we figured we’d list what we think are the best of ‘em…
x-men-superpowers

Superpowers: You can't live with 'em, you can't live without 'em

Hopefully by now you’ve seen our list of killer real-life superpowers that would make life more awesome from last week. And, thanks to our ticket give-away to see a special pre-release screening of the flick this Thursday, we’ve had the list extensively re-awesomed by you guys, our heroic, mutant readers. Thanks for that.

But, the actual X-Men have got bad-ass powers locked, even if a lot of them hate their lives because of their abilities. There are literally thousands of superpowers in the X-Men Universe. Some of them pretty basic, like flight (which we’ll admit, would totally rock, but it’s hardly unique) and superhuman strength. And some can properly ruin your social life (like Hank McCoy, aka “Beast”, who’s all blue and hairy.) But there are some totally awesome ideas out there. Many of which, we’d surely use for evil…

The Raddest Superpowers in the X-Men Universe
Phasing/Teleportation

Examples: Blink, Kitty Pryde

Technically, phasing and teleportation are not the same. But they are kind of similar, and both would rock, so we’re listing them as one. Teleportation is fairly self-explanatory; you just imagine yourself somewhere, and bam! You’re there.

Some X-Men (and X-Women) like Blink can even open portals for others to travel through as well.

Which would make group holidays totally awesome. In Blink’s case, she can teleport herself and others pretty much anywhere. In one case, even the moon. We’d settle for just saving on petrol, never being late for anything or sitting in traffic ever again, though…
X-Men Blink

"Let me open here portal and we can be in Hawaii in no time at all big guy"

Phasing, however, is different. Mutants like Kitty Pryde can actually move through objects by changing her molecular structure and passing through an obstacle on an atomic level. In Kitty’s case, though, she’s limited by how long she can hold her breath. If she gets stuck inside, say, a wall, she could actually suffocate. That said, though, it would make nightclubs – and banks – a lot more interesting!
Healing

Examples: Wolverine, Sabretooth, Deadpool
Wolverine

Wolverine

Wolverine’s been pretty saturated lately, having been a core character in the original X-Men Trilogy and X-Men Origins: Wolverine movies. But there’s a reason he’s such an iconic X-Man. Aside, that is, from his generally bad-ass vibe and awesome Adamantium claws. His ability to rapidly recover from almost any injury is totally sweet. In fact, it’s what enabled him to survive the Adamantium skeleton-coating in the first place. But consider this: everytime he extends his claws, they cut through his flesh, which heals as soon as soon as they’re retracted. Ouch.
sabretooth

Sabretooth

Healing’s not unique to Wolverine though. It also makes for some pretty bad-ass villains. Sabretooth has a very similar power-set to Wolverine, and is, as a result, not to be messed with. Deadpool (who’s apparently getting his own movie soon too, and is rumored to be played by Ryan Reynolds) also has regenerative healing abilities. Which, combined with agonising cancer, has pretty much driven him insane. Swings and roundabouts, we suppose…
Reactive Adaptation (“Evolution”)

Example: Darwin (aka, Armando Muñoz)

The character of Darwin (played in X-Men: First Class by Twilight‘s Edi Gathegi) is one of the most complex, and raddest X-Men ever. We’re extremely amped to see how he’s portrayed in the film. Darwin’s power – Reactive Adaptation – means that his body will adapt, instantaneously, to his immediate environment. If he’s underwater, he might sprout gills. If he’s on fire, his skin will harden to protect him. And if he’s on a porn set, his “weaponry” will expand.
Darwin

Darwin

Of course, there’s a downside. Like many mutants, he grew up ostracised and miserable. Shunned by his mother for being a freak, and cast out by society (kinda like a ginger). And, he couldn’t even kill himself. If he jumps off a building, his body will turn his bones to rubber to protect him. Unlucky! But, as X-Men lore has it, once he teams up with Professor X and realises that power can be awesome, he becomes an extremely bad-ass hero guy. We’re amped to see it come to life when the flick opens on Friday!
Electromagnetism

Example: Magneto (aka Erik Lehnsherr/Magnus)

There’s a reason that Magneto is one of the most revered and celebrated villains in all of comic-book history. Firstly, because he’s conflicted and has many times revealed a deep-seated good side. We’re really amped for X-Men: First Class because it will tell the story of how he and Xavier came to be enemies after starting out as allies. The second reason he’s so awesome is because his power is properly, ludicrously bad-ass.

The dude can control the entire electro-magnetic spectrum. Not even Metallica have such complete mastery of metal!

Imagine being able to control all forms of metal. Even the iron in a person’s bloodstream! And tanks? Ja, whatever. Just pick the sucker up – using your mind – and lob it at the F-16s flying overhead. Easy. Oh, and the fun we could have with the douches at the gym…
Michael Fassbender

Michael Fassbender: The new... err, old... uhh, Magneto.

We thought Sir Ian McKellan rocked as Magneto in the first X-Men Trilogy. We’re very keen to see if Michael Fassbender is suitably sinister in X-Men: First Class.
Shape-shifting

Example: Mystique (aka Raven Darkhölme)
Mystique

Mystique: Played by Rebecca Romijn-Stamos

This one is a winner. Despite being all blue and mingy in her ordinary form, Mystique can look however she wants to. And, based on the fact that she was played by Rebecca Romijn-Stamos in the first X-Men Trilogy, and now her younger self in X-Men: First Class is being portrayed by the belter-riffic Jennifer Lawrence, she generally wants to look like a hottie of note. We’d settle for being able to pretend to be Ryan Reynolds next time we’re at Caprice on Almost-naked Model Night. Or the thrill of turning into Julius Malema and saying something vaguely coherent in public, thus ruining years of hard work on his part…
Telepathy

Examples: Charles “Professor X” Xavier/Jean Grey

Getting inside someone’s mind would rule. Especially if you’re at the bank, although we suspect that might be a bit like hanging out in an empty room. For dating purposes, it’d be lethal. Like Mel Gibson in What Women Want. Only, we’d set our sights a bit higher than Helen Hunt. We’re getting sidetracked, though…
Charles "professor X" Xavier

Charles "professor X" Xavier: Reality versus the comic character

Professor X is arguably the most powerful telepath in X-Men lore. (With the possible exception of Jean Grey/Phoenix, although she was ultimately overwhelmed by the awesome scope of her power.)

Xavier’s awesome mental strength even kind of makes up for his being bound to a wheelchair. Another reason we’re so keen to see X-Men: First Class is to find out how that injury happens.

And how closely the filmmakers adhere to the original comic-book backstories…
Boobs

Example: about 80 per cent of female X-Men ever
X-Men Babes

Just a few of the totally hot X-Men babes out there

Aside from the ones who’re hideously mutated, the vast majority of female mutants in the X-Men Universe tend to choose spandex, G-strings and massive boobs as their uniforms of choice… And we’re totally okay with that. Obviously, most comic-book artists are dudes. Presumably, virginal, nerdy ones. And, who can blame them? As long as the characters themselves don’t feel objectified, that is. Well, most of them can kill you pretty easily, so they’re probably pretty secure. No wonder Marvel release Swimsuit Editions from time to time. Bless them…
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun May 29, 2011 10:26 pm

http://thequeersphere.com/meeting-the-first-class-13-x-men-characters-you-need-to-know-before-seeing-the-film/

Meeting The First Class: 13 X-Men Characters You Need to Know Before Seeing the Film
29 May 2011

Ahead of the cinema release of Matthew Vaughn’s X-Men: First Class on Friday 3rd June we thought it would be prudent to introduce and put forward some further reading of the characters that are featured in the film, a lot of them being quite unfamiliar to the general audience. The X-Men have always resonated with the underdog, their trials and tribulations in a world that fears and hates them are echoed in the real world struggles of minorities around the world and I still think the themes within the X-books are as relevant today as they where in their first appearance in 1963. So without further ado it’s time to meet the class:

Professor Xavier

X-Men-First-CLass-Professor-Xavier-James-McAvoy

To be honest if you want to watch the new film you’re probably already familiar with Prof X who is to be played by James McAvoy in First Class. However if you fancy delving into the character on the page we suggest the Mike Carey written X-Men Legacy #208 to #225. Set after the major X-event Messiah Complex Legacy deals with an Xavier who has had his shattered consciousness put back together and is traversing the globe right the wrongs he has done in his life. Steeped in X-lore this isn’t light reading but is extremely enjoyable.

Magneto

Magneto X Men First Class Michael Fassbender

There will be a pattern forming with the first four characters of this article as they have all been in the films at some point, in this incarnation, Magneto is being played by Michael Fassbender. But if you want to read what I consider one of the defining Magneto stories check out Chris Claremont’s three issue arc which spawned a new X-Men title in 1991 simply called X-Men. It has Asteroid M, Magneto threatening earth with nuclear missiles and Jim Lee’s amazing artwork.

mystique first classMystique

One of our favourite mutants, on screen she is the deadly mutant of few words whose allegiance lies with Magneto until his betrayal, Mystique is played by Winter’s Bone star Jennifer Lawrence in First Class. However in Brian K Vaughan’s and Sean Mckeever’s 25 issue series she is hired by Xavier to be his covert agent. A spy thriller that adds layers to the character.

Beast

So far we have seen him as the big blue furred guy we all know and love, but the new film is delving into his origins with Nicholas Hoult under the make-up. However for me Beast is at his best when he isn’t a member of X-Men. The late 70s saw Beast join The Avengers and it was in that team that he shone and his bromance with fellow avenger Wonder Man is comic book gold. Seek out those old issues (from Avengers #151 onwards) for some old school superheroics

x-men-the-first-class-beast-hank-mccoy

Moira MacTaggert

A brilliant geneticist and former lover of Xavier, a strong willed Scottish lass who never backed down. For me her defining storyline is from Uncanny X-Men (#125 to #128) when her son, the powerful mutant Proteus, went on a rampage to find his biological father. Its a classic storyline that the 90s X-Men cartoon adapted.

Emma Frost

Emma Frost First Class White Queen

From the villainous White Queen of the Hellfire Club to Cyclops’ lover and prominent member of the X-Men, Emma Frost is without a doubt one of the best additions to the X-Men team in the past 10 years. Her formidable telepathic powers and diamond form are matched only by her scintillating wit and revealing costume choices as shown by January Jones, right. It is difficult to choose a specific run of comics, which highlights her strengths of character. Especially since she has been both a prominent villain and a great X-Woman. It’s a hard choice between Grant Morrison’s 2001-2004 New X-Men run which had her join the X-Men or the subsequent Astonishing X-Men run by Joss whedon, both as good as each other and well worth the read.

Havok

Cyclop’s younger brother (changed for the film I believe) has always sat in his older brothers heroic shadow. Trying to do the right thing Havok has found himself at odds with both his brother and the X-Men on occasion. However it is Peter David’s run on the title X-Factor (1991-1995), which found Havok in charge of a government sponsored mutant team, that really deepened the character and explored more than his relationship with his brother.

Banshee

The Irish mutant with a wicked scream. Banshee joined the X-Men with the likes of Wolverine, Nightcrawler and Storm in the classic Giant-Size X men #1 (1975). However it was his turn as the headmaster in the book Generation X (1994-2001), which also featured Emma Frost as the headmistress, which really took the character to great heights. Not only that but it is my second favourite X-Book of all time so I recommend it on that basis alone

x-men-first-class-banshee-wings

Sebastian Shaw

kevin-bacon-sebastian-shaw

Most memorable as the leader of the Hellfire Club and played by Kevin Bacon in First Class, Mr Shaw is a formidable opponent. However his attire in the comics is ludicrous, a sort of Victorian gentleman with extra ruffles. The only storyline with him in that I actually rate is that of the classic Dark Phoenix Saga, which involves the whole of the Hellfire Club. The story alone should be read for it’s iconic status as well as Shaw’s involvement.

This may anger a few fans of these characters but I am relegating the last four characters as only worth looking into if you are truly a fan of them.

Darwin

A new addition to X-Men lore Darwin has yet to win me over, however his appearance in Ed Brubaker’s The Rise And Fall Of The Shi’ar Empire is note worthy and the epic 12 issue space-opera is fun, using an unlikely team of X-Men. Darwin’s abilities are interesting nonetheless, indicated by his name he can ‘evolve reactively’, or in other words; instantly evolve to his surroundings i.e. he develops gills after a short time under water.

Angel Salvadore

X-Men First Class Angel Salvadore

Grant Morrison’s creation, Ms Salvadore was a prominent figure throughout his New X-Men run. Her mutation was that she had fly physiology as well as human, therefore she had fly wings, could only digest food by being sick on it and lay fly eggs. Very disturbing.

Riptide

We’re not sure in what capacity he will be used in the film, but in the comics he is stone cold killer and member of the marauders. His most significant appearance was in the classic Mutant Massacre storyline.

Azazel

Azazel first class

The last one to be mention due to the fact that like many fans we did not appreciate what writer Chuck Austen was doing here. Azazel is a demon or an ancient mutant (I try not to remember) who goes around impregnating people to create babies that can teleport for some obscure reason which will give him power. He is Nightcrawler’s dad apparently (I refuse to believe this). But if you do want to read up on him he is in Austen’s The Draco storyline. I warn you it isn’t any good.

So there you have it, the mutants of the first class!!

By Daniel Cole
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:09 am

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-welchgillespie-xmen-20110605,0,5661457.story

'X-Men: First Class' reminds us we are all mutants now
The superhero movie series reflects an America that has increasingly come to accept individuals with unique identities, desires and talents.

As Charles (James McAvoy) watches, Erik (Michael Fassbender) wields his mutant powers in a showdown to prevent the beginning of World War III - and nuclear Amageddon in "X-Men: First Class." (Murray Close / Twentieth Century Fox / June 3, 2011)

By Nick Gillespie and Matt Welch

June 5, 2011
"X-Men: First Class," which hit the screens this weekend, isn't just the latest installment in one of the most successful superhero movie franchises of the 21st century (the first four movies in the series grossed more than $1.5 billion). It's a more direct commentary on contemporary America than such ostensibly realist films as "Bridesmaids" and "Midnight in Paris."

Though populated with superpowered "mutants" such as Magneto (who is able to control all sorts of metallic objects), Storm (capable of flight and creating crazy weather), Banshee (an Irish American tenor who can kill with his voice) and Raven (a blue-skinned shape-shifter), "X-Men" perfectly captures social reality and social aspirations in a post-gender, post-racial, post-mainstream, post-everything America. The multicolored, polyglot heroes and villains of the X-Men universe may be able to communicate by reading minds rather than using Skype, and they may be able to fly anywhere without booking tickets in advance, but make no mistake: That's us up there on the screen.

The X-Men have captured the public imagination in a world where we can tailor what we drink at the local coffee bar, personalize our online newsfeeds and are

increasingly OK with people who look and sound and think different (to paraphrase Apple Inc.'s slogan of a few years back). That's because the X-Men incarnate what anthropologist and author Grant McCracken has called "plenitude," or the "quickening speciation of

social types." No one is simply white or black, or even male or female, anymore; we revel in our ongoing mongrelization and hybridization.

This is a global phenomenon, but it is particularly strong in the United States, where the creation and maintenance of social personae dates back at least to Benjamin Franklin, who endlessly invented and reinvented himself as an unmannered rube turned self-made man, Enlightenment man of science, political revolutionary, ultra-cultured European courtier and much more.

McCracken's work shows that where there used to be a few basic identities men and women might occupy, there are now many. After a walk through a Toronto shopping center, McCracken wrote: "Teens were once understood in terms of those who were cool and those who weren't. But in a guided tour of mall life … I had 15 types of teen lifestyle pointed out to me, including heavy-metal rockers, surfer-skaters, b-girls, goths and punks. Each of these groups sported their own fashion and listened to their own music." The world of "Happy Days" has yielded to the world of the "Twilight" saga, and whether you root for Team Edward or Team Jacob, your world is a whole lot richer at every stage of life.

Two major developments over the last 40 or so years unleashed the proliferation of identity. First, technological advances in everything from medicine to clothing design to online vending allowed us to develop and insist on ever-more personalized and individualized products and service. That coffee bar drink comes by the shot, with skim, 2% or even soy milk. The produce section in the local supermarket is likely to carry three or more varieties of eggplant, a vegetable that once came only in dark purple and was eaten mostly by Italian Americans.

Second, and more important, social attitudes toward inherited group identity and traditional tribal affiliation have relaxed tremendously, resulting in an America that is far looser and less uptight than we once were about everything from dress codes to racial segregation.

When Barack Obama's parents were married in 1961, "less than one in 1,000 new marriages in the United States was, like theirs, the pairing of a black person and a white person," according to Pew Research Center estimates. "By 1980, that share had risen to about one in 150 new marriages. By 2008, it had risen to one in 60." New social realities have given rise to new levels of tolerance and pluralism as well. In 1987, two decades after the Supreme Court invalidated the last laws against interracial marriage, only 48% of Americans thought it was "OK for whites and blacks to date each other." By 2009, 83% did.

Similar trends can be observed in other areas of personal identity. The Gallup Poll began asking, for example, whether "gay or lesbian relations between consenting adults should or should not be legal" in 1977. Just 43% then thought they should be permitted. Today, that figure stands at 58%. "While public attitudes haven't moved consistently in gays' and lesbians' favor every year, the general trend is clearly in that direction," summarizes Gallup.

In short, it's not only easier now for all of us to let our freak flags fly, it's easier to find somebody who will help us design and produce them in the first place.

Which brings us back to the X-Men. Created in 1963 by Marvel Comics masterminds Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, the franchise was a run-of-the-mill title for the company until the mid-1970s, when it was recast in wilder and darker tones by younger writers and artists who emphasized the individualism of the characters and their ambivalence toward the very powers that made them unique.

In other words, "The X-Men" caught fire when it started fully exploring the disruptions and possibilities inherent in the plenitude of the last 40 years, and not coincidentally as the mainstream gave way to niche markets in music, publishing, clothing, ethnicity and so much more.

Taking their cue from the classic storylines published in the 1980s and 1990s, X-Men movies posit an ongoing war between Homo sapiens (regular people) and Homo superior (mutants), who represent the bleeding edge of trans-human possibility. Fittingly, the movies, including "First Class," revolve around a school run by Professor Xavier, a crippled telepath who teaches his superpowered students to fulfill their potential while being comfortable in their own often-polychromatic skin. Some of the mutants, and many of the regular humans, can never let go of their resentments or their fear. They are, quite properly, the villains of the series.

Yet by and large, the X-Men learn not just how to get by but how to flourish as a community. Similarly, after many fits and starts, American society has generally come to accept plenitude, recognizing not just that mutants walk among us but that we are all mutants, with unique desires and talents that, when acknowledged and developed, lead to a vastly more interesting, exciting and prosperous world than the alternative.

Copyright © 2011, Los Angeles Times
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:17 am

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/joshw24/news/?a=38752

Lauren Shuler Donner Explains The Lack Of 3D With X-Men: First Class!

Check out what the producer of the critically acclaimed X-Men: First Class had to say when quizzed on the reasons why the movie was neither filmed or converted to 3D...
At the Producers Guild of America's annual Produced By conference in LA, X-Men: First Class producer Lauren Shuler Donner was a part of a panel where the discussion turned to 3D. Not going into a huge amount of detail, she did explain the reasons why the critically acclaimed latest installment of the mutant franchise wasn't converted into the format. (although the rushed production surely played a part?)

"We chose not to do 3D. I believe the movie itself tells you whether it should be 3D. And I believe there's a little too much 3D right now. I think, especially in this economy, parents don't always want to spend that extra money."

Starring James McAvoy as Charles Xavier, Michael Fassbender as Erik Lensherr, Nicholas Hoult as Hank McCoy, Jennifer Lawrence as Raven Darkholme, Lucas Till as Alex Summers/Havok, Caleb Landry Jones as Sean Cassidy/Banshee, Kevin Bacon as Sebastian Shaw, Oliver Platt as the Man in Black, Jason Flemyng as Azazel and Rose Byrne as Moira MacTaggart, X-Men: First Class is set to be released in the UK on June 1st and in the US on June 2nd.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:49 am

http://www.wbir.com/news/article/171825/141/Hollywood-dumps-sequels-for-prequels

Hollywood dumps sequels for prequels
10:06 PM, Jun 3, 2011

Scott Bowles, USA TODAY

LOS ANGELES - Hollywood is going back for a future.

Convinced that moviegoers would rather see an origins story than a standard sequel (unless you're fast and furious or a pirate of the Caribbean), studios are churning out prequels, reboots and makeovers for some of Hollywood's most successful franchises - particularly those in capes and spandex.

At least a dozen cinematic jump starts are scheduled or in pre-production for the next two years, from Spider-Man to Superman to The Crow.

This summer alone will see three new origins stories, including a repeat invasion from Conan the Barbarian and monkey business anew in Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

But first up is Hollywood's riskiest prequel in years, X-Men: First Class, a story that stretches back to Nazi concentration camps to tell the early biographies of Charles Xavier and his future nemesis, Erik Lehnsherr, aka Magneto.

The fifth installment of the franchise, opening Friday, would seem a slam dunk. Reviews have been glowing, and since the franchise began in 2000, the series has grossed more than $786 million domestically. No installment has earned less than $157 million.

But this time our misunderstood mutants could face a vexing new enemy: déjà vu. The last film, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, another prequel, hit screens just two years ago to a respectable $180 million. Some analysts wonder whether a second prequel will bypass audiences who feel they've seen the setup.

Comic-book movie fans already have a reputation as a fickle lot, a demographic that plunks down millions for a franchise they will later dismantle.

Ang Lee's Hulk made a respectable $137 million in 2003, but fans disliked the version so much, the green guy got a reboot just five years later.

Despite better reviews and $135 million in ticket sales, The Incredible Hulk still didn't wow fanboys, and the franchise ground to a halt.

Superman Returns, meant to defibrillate the series, did a healthy $201 million in 2006. But fans badmouthed the reboot vociferously, and director Zack Snyder will take another whack at it in Superman: The Man of Steel in 2012.

Studio chiefs and directors prefer "prequel" and "re-imagining" to "reboot," a term they feel implies failure. So what would that make First Class, set years before the first setup film? A pre-imagining?

For Bryan Singer, it's a chance to set the prequel standard for big-studio comic-book films.

Singer, who directed the first two X-Men films and produces this one, says the mutant team has an advantage over other comic-book heroes and most movies with franchise hopes: a decades-old history and scads of characters.

The dozens of X-Men heroes and villains "has got to be as expansive as the catalogue of Marvel or DC" comics characters, says Singer, who also directed Superman Returns. "There is so much source material, it can be hard to choose what to use."

For Singer, the source material was his nerd self. A professed comic-book devotee, Singer spent hours mulling a back story he would never tell in the first two X-Men movies.

Those movies took place when Xavier and Magneto were fully formed - and aged - characters. Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart, stage veterans with "sir" in front of their names, played Magneto and Xavier, respectively.

But Singer, then relatively inexperienced and nervous about suggesting to McKellen and Stewart how to get into character, felt he needed to give the men motivation for their villainy and heroism.

Lucifer gets scrubbed

He scoured comic books to learn that Xavier's character becomes paralyzed after a villain named Lucifer drops a slab of rock on him in Tibet. Embarrassed to take that story to either actor before there was an alternative, Singer came up with his own origins tale: Xavier and Magneto were childhood friends driven apart by tragedy and philosophical differences.

"I told Patrick the comic-book version, then he asked me mine," Singer says. "So I told him. All he said was, 'Let's go with yours,' and that was that. I respect the writers of the books and the perspectives they brought. But a prequel doesn't have to be true to the history of a comic. It has to be true to the essence of the characters."

Because the X-Men comics have so many characters, audience interest hasn't yet waned, says Brandon Gray, president of Box Office Mojo.

He says that the first film, which earned $157 million, reopened the door to big-studio comic-book adaptations.

"People tend to forget, but that was a watershed movie at the box office," he says. "The studios had pretty much gotten out of the business after the Batman & Robin debacle," the critically assailed 1997 film that nearly clipped Batman's wings.

The X-Men led a parade of superheroes who were big-screen neophytes: Spider-Man, Iron Man, Thor.

Of course, the X-Men always had Wolverine in their corner, the most popular mutant in the comic books and the anchor of the four previous films. While First Class offers early glimpses of comic-book favorites including Beast and Mystique, this marks the first X-Men film that doesn't ride on Wolverine's hirsute shoulders.

Gray says that while First Class didn't initially create much buzz, trailers and early reviews have built momentum. According to a recent poll of Gray's website readers, more than half say they plan to see the movie on opening weekend. He predicts the movie will earn around $155 million.

"This will be a test of how popular the other characters are on their own," Gray says. "So far, they seem to have their fans."

Fans who are familiar with source material are a key to an effective origins story, says Jason Momoa, star of the new Conan the Barbarian, out Aug. 19.

"Some people just think of Arnold Schwarzenegger when they think of Conan," Momoa says. "But fans know people have been writing that story for years and years," dating to Robert Howard's 1932 tale.

"If you take the source material seriously, really do your homework, you can find a lot of great stories," he says. Origins stories "can be freeing, really."

Or constricting, depending on your worldview. "You have to be aware of the history that came before," says Rupert Wyatt, director of the new Planet of the Apes.

"You essentially want to lay the seeds for what people know is going to come," he says. "You have to know where you want to take the story, but the good thing (about prequels) is that people already have an interest in your characters. They want to know how they got there."

People also remember the stars who got them there. For James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender, that was a daunting prospect.

"If I had to portray (Xavier's) character in the same mold as Sir Patrick Stewart, I wouldn't have taken the part," says McAvoy. "Trying to do a straight-up sequel and taking on his role is a no-win situation for an actor. What appealed to me about an origins story is you can surprise the audience. You can answer questions about other movies. There's leeway your characterization."

And FirstClass takes leeway. Populated by a younger (and teen-friendly) cast that includes Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique and Nicholas Hoult as Beast, First casts the normally staid Xavier as a mind-reading Lothario. He may be a mutant, but he knows how to work a bar and a genetic mutation pickup line.

"We wanted to ram home just how different (Xavier) was," McAvoy says, adding that he persuaded director Matthew Vaughn to "amp up" Xavier's inebriated barroom scenes.

"A lot of times, comic-book movies are action extravaganzas, with a villain who is one or two dimensions," says Fassbender. "Ian McKellen didn't have one or two dimensions, so you can't, either."

Dealing with 'different'

Fassbender, who appeared in Inglourious Basterds and the comic-book adaptation 300, says he pored over two folders filled with the comic-book history of Magneto. He says he learned from a "baptism by fire" after playing catch-up research to Frank Miller's 300.

As he waded into the material, Fassbender says, he realized why X-Men lent itself to chronological hopscotching.

"I was a Winnie the Pooh kid, so I didn't know the full story," he says. "But I was impressed by what I found. X-Men has always been a mature take on being different, and how we deal with people who are different."

The depth of the tale, he says, determines the depth of the franchise.

"If you've got a good story to tell, you've got a good movie," he says. "It doesn't matter when it takes place."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:15 am

http://blogs.indiewire.com/spout/archives/2011/06/03/xmen_first_class_history/

“X-Men: First Class” is a Fantastical Trip Through History and Interchangeable Subtexts

The following is a lengthy discussion of elements of “X-Men: First Class” which contains some minor spoilers.

When Matthew Vaughn recently said he’d like the next “X-Men” movie to kick off during the JFK Assassination, with Magneto (Michael Fassbender) directing the infamous “magic bullet” and presumably Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence) taking on the shape of everyone from Lee Harvey Oswald to Kennedy’s corpse, I immediately thought of “Forrest Gump.” Now that the franchise has gone back fifty years for a series of prequels, we can possibly look forward to the mutant heroes and villains alike having photo ops with Andy Warhol, rocking out at Woodstock and even participating in the Watergate break in. But unlike the one-character-spanning-eras “Wolverine” prequel, “X-Men: First Class” is not really so much “Forrest Gump” (or NBC’s timeline-hopping, history-humping “The ‘60s” mini-series) as it is more of a “Men in Black” mentality, but instead of implying aliens have been significantly involved at every stage and event of history, here it’s genetically evolved super-men. Fittingly, the next “Men in Black” film is also set in that decade America can’t stop obsessing over. And Warhol is indeed a confirmed part of it.

I’d love to say “X-Men: First Class” is the movie “Watchmen” wanted to be, but really “Watchmen” the graphic novel is the thing that “X-Men: First Class” wants to be, in a way. Yet “Watchmen” deals in alternate history whereas “X-Men” is working strictly in historical fantasy. For the most part events are not really meant to be different from what occurred in actual history. They just are employed here to incorporate these fantastical characters as participators and maybe also the true causes (it’s like the X-Men are to history what everyman photojournalist Phil Sheldon is to super heroes, including the X-Men, in the 1994 comic series “Marvels”). At the point in which “First Class” ends it’s hard to figure the world isn’t headed for the diverged universe of “Watchmen”—I can picture a mutants-only draft leading to a U.S. victory in Vietnam courtesy of superpowers. However, if we’re to accept at least some continuity with the preceding “X-Men” films, there’s not really too much major different in this world (aside from there existing super powered people, that is) until the Great Golden Gate Bridge Levitation of ‘06.

Fantastical History

Surely the title character of “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” would fit in at Xavier’s School for Gifted Mutants more than Gump would, though his lack of magical mutation might lead him ultimately to the Morlocks. Considering “First Class” as feeling very much like a script by Eric Roth—who not only penned “Gump” and “Button” but also “The Good Shepherd” and “Munich,” both of which this prequel evokes at times—the Button thematic link to Dorian Gray comes to mind (as does a direct mention in the film of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde) and with it further contemplation of “The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen,” which I brought up days ago, inspired by this film, as being in need of a reboot itself. Part of what makes the “League” comics so much fun, and it must be pointed out as being another creation of “Watchmen” writer Alan Moore, is conceptualizing this kind of historical fantasy. But as FilmDrunk’s Vince Mancini jokes in his “First Class” review, we have to wonder how far the tentacles of fiction reach:

I’d love to seem them re-tell some of history’s other retarded episodes through use of the fantastic. Salem Witch Trials? Mutants. Spanish Inquisition? Mutants. Violating the Ribbentrop-Molotov act? Totally mutants, and the Library at Alexandria only burned down because of a drunken satyr.

This comes after Mancini’s mention of how Kevin Bacon’s character, Sebastian Shaw, goes from being a Nazi doctor involved in the “Mengele-style” human experimentation to a yachting Hefner-like playboy looking to destroy the world through nuclear war rather than pornography (no, there’s not actually any wink to the obscenity trials of the period among its subtextual references, though Shaw does head the Playboy-ish Hellfire Club). But while it might be neat for X-Men to go from Salem Center to Salem, Mass., as Mancini suggests (and sure the Witch Trials are good for cross-chronological allegory), let’s think about the major benefit—outside of our romantic nostalgia for the times, and the metaphoric buffet the film feasts on, which I’ll address in a second—for “First Class” being set from 1944 to 1962 is the combined fortune of being able to involve Nazis and Russians.

Swastikas and Sickles

Let’s recall that until 9/11, Hollywood was at a 12-year loss of easy villainy for American action films post-Cold War (and even after 9/11, some political correctness kept certain generalized sorts of enemies off limits). Going with a period setting, action movies get to re-employ baddies like Hitler and the Communists. Obviously we already know this from “Raiders of the Lost Ark” and its many sequels and copycats over the past few decades. Strangely enough, though, the Cold War in the ‘60s, pop culture-wise, was smarter and aesthetically sleeker than either “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull” (which pre-dates the ‘60s by a few years, still) or now “First Class.” At least the latter starts out evoking early James Bond before actually venturing backwards, tonally, to adventure and monster B-movies of earlier decades (not that this is bad—one moment involving Magneto and some tooth fillings is the best B-horror-inspired comic book movie scene since Doc Ock’s medical transformation in “Spider-Man 2”).

The thing is, though, neither the Nazis nor the Soviets really get to be employed by villains in “First Class,” which seems to relate to why Karina Longworth has an issue with the revisionist history here. The SS almost get a pass through the movie because it’s Shaw who is the truly evil Nazi, first as the mad scientist and later as he’s hellbent on an even wider Holocaust for all homo sapiens. Sure, there are some other Germans who are deemed executable by the young Magneto, even if they were “just following orders,” yet Xavier’s MLK-style forgiveness message would imply they’re not actually deserving of such punishment. Meanwhile, again, it’s not the Russians who nearly caused WW3 in the fall of ‘62. That’d again be Shaw. The Russians aren’t even guilty of great mind-control powers, only the buffoonish victims of such—at the telekinetic-hands of both the good guys and the bad.

Civil Wrongs

Okay, so here’s a major issue I have with “First Class”: it misses so many opportunities for the allegorical smorgasbord it’s dealing with. Mind control not properly referencing “Manchurian Candidate”-type Cold War experimentation is one thing. Not fitting in some allusion to the HUAC or some sort of parallel between mutants and Reds is another. Sure, subtlety in subtext is fine, as enough viewers get the MLK and Malcolm X dichotomy going on with Xavier (James McAvoy) and Magneto. Of course, this has been obvious since Stan Lee created the X-Men only a year after this film takes place (wait, were there really mutants involved in the Cuban Missile Crisis and they inspired Lee in the first place?). But the film also strangely ignores the Civil Rights Movement for the most part and even denies blacks enough empowerment to live through fight scenes (I’ll at least choose to accept Edi Gathegi/Darwin’s demise in spite of his power to adapt as a commentary on comparative assimilation difficulties for his race).

I find it a little odd how many reviews I’ve seen for “First Class” that narrow in on the reading of mutants as metaphors for gays. Never mind that “X2: X-Men United” took care of that subtext perfectly with its coming-out scene, and more. But besides a comment from Beast (“Nicholas Hoult, who also played the boy-toy in A Single Man!”) evoking “don’t ask, don’t tell,” and maybe some “out and proud” statements (though I take the pride stuff to be more relevant temporally to Malcolm X/Nation of Islam), it’s not really that present. And why should it? Not to say that there were no homosexuals in the early 1960s or that there was no gay rights issue at the time, but it wasn’t yet the kind of culturally conscious thing that plays into subtextual relevance the way movies like this deal in. Yes, there’s room for that hint of acknowledgment that they were around, that they’d too been persecuted by the Nazis and continued to be outcasts—in fact a kind more easily blended into the crowd the way most non-blue mutants, yet not blacks, could. Of course, there’s also room for currently compatible relevance to be linked through a gay metaphor as much as there’s room for the Salem Witch Trials to represent HUAC (ah, so maybe mutants were there and then, Vince?). But whoever it is I saw claim that Xavier and Magneto had some sort of gay mind sex clearly went overboard.

Brotherhood of Evil Discriminated-Against Mutants

We can obviously read into things ludicrously, and often it’s fun. Can we link a joke about Beast’s presumed penis size to the fact that he later ends up “colored” just like Mystique, who initially represents the desire for cultural assimilation before later considering the “dark” side comprised of other ethnic minority types (Magneto is Jewish, Angel is black, Riptide is Hispanic and Azazel is Native American, I guess—I don’t know how the white, blonde Emma Frost fits, though)? Actually most of that is likely intentional. And you can bet the Civil Rights movement will be coming into play even more in the sequel. But what else is in store? John Lennon being revealed to be a mutant? The Shi’ar assist in the Space Race? Dazzler and Longshot are introduced at the Monterey Pop Festival? I just hope “Turn, Turn, Turn” is on the soundtrack at some point—maybe when the obscure mutant known as Whirlwind shows up?

“X-Men: First Class” is now playing theatrically everywhere.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next