Top News
WE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT MICHAEL-AN AWARD WINNING ACTOR

Congratulations to the cast and crew of "12 Years a Slave" winning an Oscar for Best Picture

Michael is currently filming "MacBeth"

Watch "12 Years A Slave" and "Frank" in theaters

Watch "The Counselor" and "12 Years A Slave" on DVD available now

Michael is set to star and produce on a film version of the video game "Assassin's Creed"

Completed projects: X-Men, Untitled Malik project

Upcoming projects Assassin's Creed, Prometheus 2, MacBeth,and more!

Header credit here

MFmultiply's Disclaimer

Order region 1 dvds-Amazon store

Order region 2-UK dvds-Amazon Shoppe

Please check the calender for films on TV, Theater, or dvd releases
February 2019
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

A Dangerous Method articles

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: A Dangerous Method articles

Post by Admin on Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:43 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/nov/21/uk-film-industry-jeremy-thomas

Oscar-winning producer says fear is behind neglect of British film-making talent

Jeremy Thomas, Oscar-winning producer of The Last Emperor, says successive governments' policies fore UK fil-makers abroad while US projects use top British studios

* Vanessa Thorpe
* The Observer, Sunday 21 November 2010

Keira Knightley Keira Knightley stars in the film A Dangerous Method as a patient of both Freud and Jung. The film was shot in German studios, witrh postproduction in Canada.

One of Britain's leading film producers has lashed out at successive governments for neglecting homegrown talent while encouraging American film-makers to dominate the country's state-of-the-art Pinewood production studios.

"These places are full up with films from the United States," said Jeremy Thomas, the Oscar-winning, London-based producer of The Last Emperor, Crash and Sexy Beast.

"Films made with American studio finance are given a 20% tax break," said Thomas. "But if a British film has to go into partnership with, say, a French company, in order to get made, it immediately becomes ineligible for any tax breaks here. So you have to go abroad."

The industry veteran recently produced the David Cronenberg film A Dangerous Method, starring Keira Knightley as a disturbed patient treated by psychoanalysts Sigmund Freud and Carl Jung. Thomas said he had himself suffered under the current rules. "Everything that I need is here in England, but I had to go and make it overseas," he said.

Pinewood Studios is currently making the action sequel X-Men: First Class. Big-budget, American-backed films such as the James Bond franchise and both parts of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows were also made there.

A Dangerous Method, which also stars Viggo Mortensen as Freud and Michael Fassbender as Jung, is a Canadian/German co-production and had to be filmed in German studios. "We filmed nothing here and all the post-production has had to be done in Canada. So there is no work for technical people here as a result," said Thomas.

The new film is typical of Thomas's unconventional projects, but it looks set to become a controversial release next year. It features scenes of sado-masochistic sex between Knightley and Fassbender and has a screenplay based on Christopher Hampton's play The Talking Cure. It reveals that Jung was drawn into a protracted affair with Knightley's character, Sabina Spielrein, in a breach of the relationship between an analyst and his patient. It was a lapse that is often held responsible for the breakdown of the friendship between Jung and Freud.

"There is a gap there in the market for my kind of film," said Thomas, 61, who will be honoured next week by the American Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. "I have never made a sequel or a prequel, or a remake, or a Superman film, or an X-man, or a Y-Man, or a Bond-man film. I am happy with my niche," said Thomas, who has worked with maverick directors such as Nicolas Roeg and Bernardo Bertolucci.

He says successive governments have failed to create an atmosphere in which the homegrown film business can flourish, even though Britain is now home to many ground-breaking cinematic technicians and skilled craftsmen.

"You have to admire anyone who makes films in this country," he said. "You have to do it with very low overheads, like the directors Michael Winterbottom and Andrea Arnold do. But we could make big British films here too. Pinewood, with all its workshops, is the best studio on the planet, but we can't get in there."

While the film version of The Woman in Black has just been made at Pinewood, with a British screenwriter and British stars, including Daniel Radcliffe, it also had joint American and Canadian finance behind it. Thomas was chairman of the British Film Institute in the 1990s and dealt directly with New Labour culture secretaries and film ministers. "The essential qualification for the job was not to like film," he said. "It is like being driven by a bus driver who has never been inside a bus. And then, as soon as a minister understood the film business, they were moved on, because they 'went native'. Governments seem frightened of the film business, perhaps because it is about ideas. Film is very powerful, so they are fearful."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:14 pm

http://www.extracriticum.com/extra_criticum/2010/11/cronenberg-and-i.html

Cronenberg and I

It is with great glee that I came across this tidbit on boingboing: David Cronenberg has finished production on a film called A Dangerous Method. Based on Christopher Hampton’s stage play, The Talking Cure, it stars Viggo Mortensen as Sigmund Freud, Michael Fassbender as Carl Jung, and Keira Knightley as Sabina, a patient of Jung’s who would become his mistress. (Bad therapist!)

_images_still_a_dangerous_method01 I unapologetically love David Cronenberg and he is one of a handful of directors whose films I will see in the theater regardless of plot, stars, or reviews. In many ways I feel like we’ve grown up together. Why, it seems like just yesterday that my friends and I piled into a car and drove to a theater in Paramus, NJ. We were excited to see a promising new horror film, Scanners. I didn't know who David Cronenberg was yet and I hadn't yet started keeping track of a director's oeuvre. No, back in 1981 I just wanted to be frightened and I wanted to see some gore. Scanners delivered. The climactic scene where two telekinetics battle it out and the loser's head explodes was like nothing I'd ever seen before. It was over-the-top grisly and squirmingly funny. I have been a fan of his ever since.

I don't think Cronenberg is the greatest living filmmaker, but I do think he's one of the more interesting ones. Say what you will about him, there is no denying this man has a vision and he's not afraid to share that icky, yucky vision with his audience. He is more audacious than most and has a total lack of restraint and I admire that greatly, probably because I am on the other side of the audacity and restraint spectrum. In his early films he shows an obsession with body transformation (Rabid, Videodrome, The Brood, The Fly) and those films are much more disturbing than watching real-life surgery on TV. I’m still fond of those films, especially Videodrome, but these days I prefer the more recent Cronenberg.

Maybe because like many of us, he’s slowing down (look at the rate of his output on imdb.com), becoming a bit more reflective, thoughtful, mellow. Yeah, I hear you, “Cronenberg? Mellowing? Licata, are you insane? Did you actually WATCH A History of Violence?” Yes, I did. And like Spider and Eastern Promises, it’s much more about inner transformation. Gone is the horror brought about by the external--technology, medicine, and disease; in its place the horror of complex psychological workings. And now with A Dangerous Method it seems he’s really delving into the messiest, slimiest, murkiest place yet.

So, as I no longer need to see someone’s head blow up on screen, he no longer feels the need to show it. (Okay, sometimes he does: gurgling jaw in A History of Violence. Yikes!) Instead, he seems content to want to blow our minds, and once again, I’m there with him.

November 19, 2010
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:35 am

From MFO:

Here is a comment from an italian blog who claim to have seen the trailer of DM. It's quite interesting. (Translated by google translate):

....Finally today, unexpectedly, I could see the first trailer of the film. During the convention of Bim (which has submitted a full list of films that I can not wait to see who deserves a separate post), Valerio De Paolis told us that two days ago, now is the trailer for A Dangerous Method. I was practically the only room I know what he was talking about, and perhaps the only one who really appreciated. What can I say. Male cast impeccable, Keira already completely out of place in the trailer for the part (lack of sensuality and intensity necessary for this role), woven turbid and lots of sex (perverso. sensual. mistaken. trailer Since we predict large numbers). Michael Fassbender is in incredible shape, and Viggo-even Freud. Almost unrecognizable Cassell, bearded and eccentric, whose character I have not yet identified. Perhaps the film will go to Cannes, and May 1 is not talked about. It will be a long wait exhausting. The trailer is unfortunately not online yet, so for now content with a couple of photos. Will post as soon as released to the public.

Here is a link to the site: http://cheerleaderofdarkness.blogspot.com/2010/11/croneberg-vs-jung-freud-dangerous.html
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:25 pm

http://reelfanatic.blogspot.com/2011/01/kevin-mcdonald-and-future-of-movies.html

All sounds great to me, and we'll be getting another Cronenberg movie some time this year, though as yet I have no idea exactly when. He's wrapped production on "A Dangerous Method," which stars Viggo Mortensen as Sigmund Freud and Michael Fassbender as Carl Jung as they collaborate to come up with the cure for a woman (Keira Knightley) suffering from some kind of psychological issues. That's definitely near the top of my must-see list for 2011, so if you hear anything about when it will be hitting theaters, please let me know.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:35 pm

http://www.screenhead.com/reviews/robert-pattinson-to-star-in-cronenbergs-next-film/

In other strange Cronenberg news, his next film, due to be released this year, is A Dangerous Method, and charts the relationship between the fathers of modern psychoanalysis, Carl Jung and Sigmund Freud. Viggo Mortensen will play Freud with the up-and-coming Michael Fassbender playing Jung.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:48 pm

http://www.scannain.com/movie-news/cosmopolis-casting-robert-pattison

While we wait with bated breath for the Cronenberg/Pattison team-up we can console ourselves with the knowledge that Pattison will soon be back on the big screen in Francis Lawrence’s adaptation of Water for Elephants, while Cronenberg is bringing us the Sigmund Freud tale A Dangerous Method with Viggo Mortensen, Keira Knightley and Michael Fassbender.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:49 pm

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article/robert-pattinson-set-to-star-in-cronenbergs-cosmopolis

As for Cronenberg, while The Matarese Circle and a rumored sequel to Eastern Promises have been mentioned over the past few years it looks like this will be his follow-up to A Dangerous Method, which stars Viggo Mortensen, Michael Fassbender, Keira Knightley and Vincent Cassel and is likely to hit the festival circuit later this year.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:11 pm

http://runslikeagay.blogspot.com/2011/01/20-for-2011-8-dangerous-method.html

Friday, 21 January 2011
20 for 2011: 8 - A Dangerous Method

No need to analyse why A Dangerous Method is in at number 8.

David Cronenberg reteams with Viggo Mortensen for the third consecutive film only this time we're in a period setting and there's likely to be less little Viggo than we saw in Eastern Promises. Or will there?

Based on Christopher Hampton (Dangerous Liaisons) award winning play about the birth of pschoanalysis and the two schools of though posed by Sigmund Freud (Mortensen) and Carl Jung (Michael Fassbender) above. The film also dramatises the relationships the men had with patient, and later pioneer herself, Sabina Spielrein (Keira Knightley).

That's a powerhouse cast and enough reason in itself to watch the film, but with Cronenberg delving into the inner workings of the mind expect some dream sequences less coherent than Inception dared to show us.

Posted by Runs Like A Gay at 12:00
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:09 pm

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118032304?refCatId=13

ue., Feb. 15, 2011, 3:00pm PT
'Method' to Scanbox
Distrib nabs rights to Cronenberg pic
By Variety Staff, Variety Staff

Scandinavian distrib Scanbox snapped up rights to a slew of pics at the Berlinale, including David Cronenberg's "A Dangerous Method."

Pic, which was being sold internationally by HanWay at the fest, toplines Viggo Mortensen, Keira Knightly and Michael Fassbender. The story, based on Christopher Hampton's play, examines how the intense relationship between Carl Jung and Sigmund Freud gives birth to psychoanalysis.

Distrib also picked up two thrillers, including Matthew Parkhill's "The Collar," from Bankside Films. Pic, which stars Rachelle Lefevre, Stephen Moyer and Luis Guzman, is penned by Parkhill and Sergio Casci. Story follows the six-decade career of square-dance caller Larry Ward.

Distrib also picked up "11-11-11" from Epic Pictures, penned and helmed by Darren Lynn Bousman. Pic toplines Todd Bridges and Michael Landes. Epic launched the horror-thriller at AFM in November; it concerns an entity from another world that enters Earth through heaven's 11th gate.

Contact Variety Staff at news@variety.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:17 pm

LA Times - The Envelope lists "A Dangerous Method" as an Oscar contender.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/awards/2011/06/oscars-preview-15-front-runners-for-best-picture.html

Oscars preview: 15 front-runners for best picture
June 15, 2011 | 8:00 am

Now that we're nearing the half-year mark, it's time to take a serious peek at the contenders in the 2011 Oscar derby. Most are not yet at the starting gate, so we haven't seen them. But here is what we know about the 15 films we consider to be top Oscar contenders.

"THE ARTIST" -- A French silent film in black-and-white might seem like a tough sell to Oscar voters, but it was well received at the Cannes Film Festival and has the potential to be an art house hit. More important, the Weinstein Co. acquired American distribution rights, and when it comes to Oscars, it's never safe to bet against the Weinsteins.

"THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL" -- Director John Madden was nominated 13 years ago for helming "Shakespeare in Love," which won best picture. His upcoming film about a retirement home in Bangalore, India, has a cast that includes two-time winner Maggie Smith, one-time champ Judi Dench, and two-time nominee Tom Wilkinson, as well as Dev Patel and Bill Nighy.

"CARNAGE" -- Roman Polanski failed to gain any Oscar traction for last year's political thriller "The Ghost Writer," but this time around he's working from a Tony-winner for best play and a very Oscar-friendly cast: Kate Winslet, Christoph Waltz, Jodie Foster, and John C. Reilly, who have four wins and 12 nominations among them.

"A DANGEROUS METHOD" -- Filmmaker David Cronenberg has not historically been an Oscar favorite, but his previous two films, "A History of Violence" and "Eastern Promises," both earned major nominations, and this time around he's working with an Oscar-annointed writer, Christopher Hampton ("Dangerous Liaisons," "Atonement"), in an Academy-friendly genre: the historical biopic. "A Dangerous Method" focuses on the relationship between psychology pioneers Sigmund Freud and Carl Jung.

"THE DESCENDANTS" -- The first collaboration between Oscar-winning actor George Clooney ("Syriana") and director/writer Alexander Payne ("Sideways"). Set for a December release, it's about a man trying to reconnect with his daughters after his wife is killed in a boating accident.

"EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE" -- It's directed by Stephen Daldry, who has been Oscar-nominated for every one of his films ("Billy Elliot," "The Hours," "The Reader"). It's written by Eric Roth, who penned best picture nominees "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," "Munich," "The Insider" plus best picture winner "Forrest Gump." Its cast is led by Oscar winners Tom Hanks and Sandra Bullock. And its subject matter is timely and topical: A boy copes with his father's death on 9/11. On paper, you couldn't devise a more Oscar-ready film.

"THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO" -- Stieg Larsson's wildly popular mystery thrillers have already been made into Swedish-language films, but now the first entry in the trilogy is being remade by director David Fincher, who is on a roll. He earned best picture and director nods for his last two films ("The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," "The Social Network"). With interest already high and Fincher now considered overdue after his loss this year to Tom Hooper ("The King's Speech"), the film could be a force to be reckoned with.

"HUGO CABRET" -- The adventure film, adapted from a novel by Brian Selznick about a boy living in the walls of a Paris train station, seems like an unlikely fit for gritty director Martin Scorsese, who finally won his first Oscar for the gangster epic "The Departed," but teaming again with "The Aviator" writer John Logan and a cast that includes Jude Law and Ben Kingsley, you can never rule him out.

"THE IDES OF MARCH" -- George Clooney directs his first collaboration with co-writer Grant Heslov since "Good Night, and Good Luck." Viewing a presidential race from the point of view of a staffer, it could be well timed, coming just as the 2012 presidential race begins in earnest. It boasts an all-star cast, including Clooney, Ryan Gosling, Paul Giamatti, Marisa Tomei and Philip Seymour Hoffman.

"THE IRON LADY" -- Meryl Streep must always be considered a possible contender at the Oscars, but her only film in the last 20 years to compete for best picture was "The Hours" back in 2002. That could very well change with "The Iron Lady," in which she plays controversial British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher during a period that includes the Falkland Islands War in 1982.

"J. EDGAR" -- Clint Eastwood failed to get Oscar's attention last year with his supernatural drama "Hereafter," but his chances are probably much better this year. The Academy loves a good biopic (and even a few not-so-good ones), and Eastwood has got a juicy subject (FBI director J. Edgar Hoover) an Oscar-winning screenwriter ("Milk's" Dustin Lance Black), and three-time nominee Leonardo DiCaprio in the lead role.

"LIKE CRAZY" -- This romantic drama, about the long-distance romance between British and American college students won the Grand Jury Prize at the Sundance Film Festival. It's generating buzz for the performance of Felicity Jones. The last two Sundance winners went on to compete in Oscar's top race ("Precious," "Winter's Bone").

"THE TREE OF LIFE" -- Terrence Malick has only directed five feature films in his nearly 40-year career, including "The Thin Red Line," which was nominated for best picture in 1998. His latest -- about parents raising three sons in the 1950s -- has earned rave reviews and won the Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival. It's unusual for the Palme d'Or winner to earn a corresponding Oscar nod for best picture, but those odds look rosier when you consider just the English-language Palme d'Or winners ("The Pianist," "Secrets & Lies," "Pulp Fiction").

"WAR HORSE" -- Steven Spielberg directing a film about war can never be underestimated. He won for directing both "Schindler's List" and "Saving Private Ryan" in the 1990s. This time he turns his focus on World War I and the relationship between a young man and his beloved horse. Oscar nominee Emily Watson co-stars, and the script is by Oscar nominees Richard Curtis ("Four Weddings and a Funeral") and Lee Hall ("Billy Elliot").

"YOUNG ADULT" -- Jason Reitman's last two films, "Juno" and "Up in the Air," both earned picture and director nods. In "Young Adult," he's rejoined by Oscar-winning "Juno" writer Diablo Cody to tell the story of a fiction writer returning to her small-town home after a divorce. The film stars Oscar-winner Charlize Theron.

-- Tom O'Neil
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:44 am

http://www.indiewire.com/article/weekly_indiewire_clicks_the_best_news_reviews_features67676/

Sony Classics acquired the U.S. rights to David Cronenberg’s much-anticipated “A Dangerous Method.” The film - which stars Viggo Mortenson, Keira Knightley, Michael Fassbender, and Vincent Cassel - is a biopic of the relationship between Dr. Jung (Fassbender), Sigmund Freud (Mortenson) and an unbalanced woman that comes between them (Knightley). The film is heavily rumoured to be premiering in Venice and Toronto come September. Sony Classics had previously released Cronenberg’s “Spider.”
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:47 am

http://blog.moviefone.com/2011/06/17/david-cronenberg-a-dangerous-method-sony/

Sony Pictures Classics Picks Up Cronenberg's 'A Dangerous Method'
By Harley W. Lond (Subscribe to Harley W. Lond's posts)
Posted Jun 17th 2011 9:00AM

Sony Pictures Classics has acquired the U.S. rights to David Cronenberg's 'A Dangerous Method,' a fascinating drama that takes a look at how the intense relationship between Carl Jung and Sigmund Freud gave birth to psychoanalysis.

The film, written by Christopher Hampton, based on his 2002 play 'The Talking Cure,' stars Michael Fassbender as the psychiatric pioneer Carl Jung and Viggo Mortensen as his rival Sigmund Freud. Keira Knightly plays Russian-Jewish patient Sabina Spielrein, whose relationship with Jung causes a rift between Jung and Freud. Vincent Cassel also stars as another patient.

SPC picked up the rights to the film, which was produced by Jeremy Thomas, from the U.K.-based Hanway Films, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

No release date has been set, but you can expect the film to hit the fall festival circuit with an end-of-year run for Academy Award consideration.

"David Cronenberg and Jeremy Thomas have made a film that not only has an impeccable cast and crew working at the height of their talents but tells one of the most fascinating love triangles of the twentieth century," SPC said in a statement.

'A Dangerous Method' is Cronenberg's first film since 'Eastern Promises' in 2007; next up is 'Cosmopolis,' which stars Robert Pattinson, Paul Giamatti and Jay Baruchel.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:42 am

http://www.thefrisky.com/post/246-12-films-with-sexy-spanking-scenes/

12 Films With Sexy Spanking Scenes

Ami Angelowicz
9:00AM, 06/30/2011

I am so looking forward to David Cronenberg’s latest film, “A Dangerous Method,” about the love triangle between Sigmund Freud (Viggo Mortensen), Carl Jung (Michael Fassbender), and their disciple/patient Sabina Spielrein (Keira Knightley). I got my masters in psychology, so I spent quite a bit of time studying Sabina, the female psychoanalyst who caused them to split both philosophically and as friends, as she was rumored to have had an affair with both of them. I would have chosen Jung over Freud, but that’s just me. Analyze that!

There is one seriously sexy surprise in the trailer—a spanking scene. Wait, I don’t remember hearing about spanking patients being part of Jung’s method? I guess corporal punishment between doctor and patient never really caught on. Hey, it’s just added incentive to see the movie. After the jump, some more memorable spanking scenes we were excited to get our hands on. And when I say ‘hands,’ I mean ‘full palms on ass cheeks.’
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2