Top News
WE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT MICHAEL-AN AWARD WINNING ACTOR

Congratulations to the cast and crew of "12 Years a Slave" winning an Oscar for Best Picture

Michael is currently filming "MacBeth"

Watch "12 Years A Slave" and "Frank" in theaters

Watch "The Counselor" and "12 Years A Slave" on DVD available now

Michael is set to star and produce on a film version of the video game "Assassin's Creed"

Completed projects: X-Men, Untitled Malik project

Upcoming projects Assassin's Creed, Prometheus 2, MacBeth,and more!

Header credit here

MFmultiply's Disclaimer

Order region 1 dvds-Amazon store

Order region 2-UK dvds-Amazon Shoppe

Please check the calender for films on TV, Theater, or dvd releases
April 2019
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

X-Men Magneto

Go down

X-Men Magneto Empty X-Men Magneto

Post by Admin on Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:02 pm

http://www.getthebigpicture.net/blog/2010/10/2/x-men-first-class-re-shooting-scene-from-first-x-men.html

Saturday, October 2, 2010 at 3:07PM
"X-Men: First Class" Re-Shooting Scene from first "X-Men"

Remember that scene in the first "X-Men" movie, where a young Magneto is being dragged away by Nazis at a concentration camp? And he reaches for his mom, and ends up bending the giant metal fence? Yeah, they're re-shooting that for "X-Men: First Class."

According to director Matthew Vaughn, they're going to re-shoot the entire scene word for word, just with the new actors. Namely with Bill Milner playing the young Magneto. Guess they liked what the scene did to set up the character? Oh, except the end of the scene, where they said there is a "big change," but refused to comment on what that is. Of course. I'm guessing either more action, or an additional plot piece to refer back to later in the movie.

With mentioning that, I wonder if "X-Men: First Class" is going to make any more tie-ins to the other X-Men movies. The first one was decent, the second was entertaining in it's own way, but the third was awful. If they continue past "X-Men: First Class," I personally hope they take their own path away from the original trilogy and tell their own story, instead of leading up to it.

Last edited by greyeyegoddess on Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

X-Men Magneto Empty Re: X-Men Magneto

Post by Admin on Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:16 pm

http://madisdot.blogspot.com/2011/01/i-cant-wait-for-trailer.html

Thursday, January 20, 2011
I Can't Wait For The Trailer

I don't know if I'm more excited to see a new X-Men film is coming out or Michael Fassbender, but I know both are pretty awesome.

I've already proclaimed my love for the Fassbender when I stated that I'm actually looking forward to seeing that guaranteed snoozefest Jane Eyre. I'm normally optimistic when I post movie trailers, but if the movie is anything like the book (which I'm pretty sure it is) then I know I'll be paying to see the inside of my eyelids.

But as far as X-Men: First Class goes, I'm just hoping it isn't going to be anything like that piece of s$#! Wolverine. AHHHHHHH!!!! That movie made me sooooo mad, but I'm being optimistic (again) so I'm looking forward to seeing this one too.

Apparently, the Fassbender is playing Magneto and James McAvoy (the dork in Wanted) is playing Professor Xavier. Others who are featured in this movie are Kevin Bacon (that dude with the game), Zoe Kravtiz (Denise and Lenny's daughter), and January Jones (the other one who showed up naked to The Golden Globes).

Who are they playing? I don't know or care enough to post, but if you're really interested you can go here or here to find out.

I'm keeping it real dorky when it comes to X-Men! How can you not love them?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:05 am

http://www.werehavingamoment.com/2011/01/ice-ice-lady.html

Thursday, January 20, 2011
Ice, Ice, Lady.

I have always been a huge fan of the X-Men series, from the animated cartoon on a Saturday morning to the film trilogy (Obviously this doesn't include X3, God Brett Rattner really is a terrible director) So anyways you can imagine my excitement when I found out the the series would continue, and even better as prequel. And even better again it is set in the 60's. AND Michael Fassbender is in it. AND Matthew Vaughan (Kiss-Ass) is in the director's chair. A man who knows what he's doing.

And don't let the quality of the above picture concern you, it was confirmed that this image was leaked and far from finished according to MTV news. But what are official are the promo pictures released today, where we get a first look at the actors in there character.

I am very much loving January Jones as Emma Frost, seeing as the film is set in the sixties, I can only hope for a bitta Nancy Sinatra "These boots" action.

X-Men: First Class opens June 3rd, 2011.

DRN

Posted by we're having a moment at 9:44 PM
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:47 pm

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/10-outsourced-american-superheroes/magneto-1#content

10 Outsourced American Superheroes

The British are coming!

By George Wales | Feb 1st 2011

Magneto

The Actor: Michael Fassbender

Nationality: Irish

If The Character Was Irish: He’d win over even his fiercest adversaries with his softly lilting accent and sparkling emerald eyes. Ha! No offensive Irish stereotypes for us. No there aren’t, to be sure, so there are….ah, bollocks.

Why Americans Shouldn’t Care: Like Wolverine, Magneto might be a proud American creation, but the character is actually Polish (his family name is Eisenhardt) and spent his youth in Germany. Where, in fact, Michael Fassbender was born. See, it all fits together perfectly.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:41 am

http://www.comicvine.com/news/off-my-mind-x-men-first-classmagneto-turns-evil/142809/

Off My Mind: X-Men First Class—Magneto Turns Evil
Added by Tony 'G-Man' Guerrero on Feb. 10, 2011

X-Men: First Class is a movie full of mystery. We all know the story of the X-Men. We know how Professor X and Magneto shared the same ideals and were close friends. Eventually they parted ways and became rivals. What has been causing confusion for X-Men readers is the apparent discrepancies with the few images and facts we know.

This X-Men movie can't have any real ties to the last three Fox movies (four if you count X-Men Origins: Wolverine). The movie takes place in the 60s. Somehow we have characters that would be young in today's time but they'll have a place on the team before the actual first class even appears. There's also Emma Frost appearing in the movie when she was in the Wolverine movie as a young woman.

Let's not dwell on those facts. Let's think about Magneto. I've always felt he was a far more interesting character than Professor X. They both want what's best for mutants (or Homo Superior) but have taken different routes in accomplishing their goals. As I write this, we are waiting for the first official trailer of the movie. What we have seen so far is two images of Michael Fassbender as Magneto. I believe those two images clearly tell us Magneto's fate.

The first image we saw showed Magneto in a yellow and blue jacket. This is the same jacket the other X-Men are seen wearing. This tells us that both he and Charles Xavier worked together in forming the team. Then a second image was released with Magneto wearing a helmet. With the second image, I wondered why he would be wearing a helmet. The purpose of the helmet was to block Charles' telepathic abilities. Because it's not in his traditional read coloring, that tells me he just had it made (or made it himself). Besides Charles and Emma, are there other telepaths around? Is Magneto so paranoid that he starts right off blocking the potential telepathic threats? I think this image marks the first point where he and Charles begin to part ways. That explains why he's still wearing the X-Men jacket but is prepared to stand up against his former friend.

As he sets out on his own, he covers the helmet in a coat of shiny red paint (seen in the first image above). We also see that he no longer is wearing the team jacket. Now his out fit is a red top with a fashionable cape (hopefully we'll get an explanation why he felt he needed an actual cape). What I can't quite figure out is what is this room he's standing in? It almost looks like a bank vault with safety deposit boxes but looking carefully, you can see that isn't the case. Wherever he's at, you can bet he's up to no good.

Hopefully, if anything, we'll get a good look at the friendship between Magneto and Professor X. This is what I'm most interested in. I can't say the list of other mutants appearing really gets me excited (except for Emma Frost and Sebastian Shaw naturally). I want to see how their relationship will be depicted and what event will drive a wedge between them. In the comics it was just a difference in ideals. I want to see something a little more...explosive. After we see that first trailer, we just might get an idea. For now we can only ponder over what happened that drove these two apart and pushed Magneto to the other side.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:59 am

http://www.talkingfilms.net/michael-fassbender-on-the-latest-x-men-first-class-trailer

Michael Fassbender on the latest X Men First Class trailer
Published on February 11th, 2011 by John in Movie News

Michael has said that he has used the comic books as a reference. X Men First Class is going to be something to watch out in the coming weeks. Michael Fassbender will be Magneto in his next film.

Michael Fassbender did not use Ian McKellan as a reference for Magneto. He also revealed that he is a pupil of Charles. He will be remembered as Erik after these movie roles out by the end of this year. He also referenced to freedom fighters and comparing Charles Xavier to Martin Luther King and Magneto to the more incendiary civil rights leader Malcom X when talking about the 1960’s setting of the movie.

He also gave some insight on what the costumes are going to be like. There will be two helmets in the movie. There is going to be a transformation in the making of this movie. Tell us what you think of this interview and we will be posting the trailer separately.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:17 am

http://themovieblog.com/2011/02/michael-fassbender-talks-x-men-first-class-trailer

Michael Fassbender talks X-Men First Class Trailer

Posted by Rodneyon 14. 02. 2011

MTV Splashpage had the unique opportunity to sit through the X-Men: First Class trailer with Michael Fassbender and get some commentary and reaction from the Young Magneto himself.

Check it out:

I really like how Fassbender is geeking out about the role he played and still straddling that line of sharing while keeping himself in check about oversharing.

There is a sniper with a tranquillizer dart off camera ready to act should he overstep his limits. Word has it that he nearly pulled the trigger when he mentioned “two helmets”.

Still pretty interesting to see the Trailer with the star who does know the whole picture sitting in on the experience.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:04 am

http://thatdangblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/michael-fassbender-magnetos-trailer.html

Tuesday, February 15, 2011
Michael Fassbender (Magneto)'s Trailer Commentary

Seems like a nice guy. Good to hear his thoughts and try to tell us details without getting in trouble or spoiling the movie. I'm glad he used the comics.

I'm glad they caught Charles and Erik in a... not-brothel...

My thoughts exactly on the hand move he does, he earns badass of the trailer.

Posted by The Dangster at 12:56 AM
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:33 pm

http://fragrancebg.blogspot.com/2011/02/michael-fassbender-talks-x-men-first.html

16 февруари 2011, сряда
Michael Fassbender talks X-Men First Class Trailer

MTV Splashpage had the unique opportunity to sit through the X-Men: First Class trailer with Michael Fassbender and get some commentary and reaction from the Young Magneto himself.

Check it out:

I really like how Fassbender is geeking out about the role he played and still straddling that line of sharing while keeping himself in check about oversharing.

There is a sniper with a tranquillizer dart off camera ready to act should he overstep his limits. Word has it that he nearly pulled the trigger when he mentioned “two helmets”.

Still pretty interesting to see the Trailer with the star who does know the whole picture sitting in on the experience.
This post was written by :
Публикувано от Vladislav Genov в 15:21
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:12 am

http://ruthlessblogs.com/2011/02/17/michael-fassbender-talks-about-magneto/

http://www.hollywoodgo.com/movie-news/michael-fassbender-talks-about-magneto-31724/

February 17, 2011 12:40 pm
Michael Fassbender Talks About Magneto
Posted by RuthlessBlogs Collaboration

Michael FassbenderIf you have seen the actor Michael Fassbender in many different films such as Fish Tank, Centurian, Hunger, and others then you already know that he’s well up0 for the role of playing Erik otherwise known as Magneto, in the film X men.

The first trailer for the movie hit the Internet in a big way this past week and since Fassbender was back in New York City to work on another project. However he did make another comment about the film and that is he is excited about playing the part of Magento. X Men will be scheduled for release on June 3rd,2011. It is being released by 20th Century Fox. It is starring James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Rose Byrne and others.

This action packed adventure will keep you in suspense and wondering what is going to happen next. Will Magneto beat Professor X this time around or will the professor prevail once again? Before mutants had revealed themselves to the world, and before Xavier and Erik were actually friends, but that all ended and the mutants were divided.

If you have comments about this post or this film we would be glad to hear from you. You can post your comments and opinions here or in one of our many different forums also found on this web site.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:42 pm

http://comicrw.blogspot.com/2011/02/magneto-1.html

20 February, 2011
Magneto #1
Magneto is an interesting character, no one can deny that. A holocaust surviver who is then discriminated against, again simply for being a mutant. That is a character people dream they could write about. Ian McKellen played him great in the movies, and now I'm exited to see Michael Fassbender play him in X-Men First Class, and naturally I was exited to see a one shot all about him.
In this issue Magneto visits New York for the first time. He walks around for a little, and then orders a "Superhero suit" from a mutant who makes them. He befriends the mutant and takes her out to dinner. He walks with her for a little, but a weird monster. Magneto takes down the monster, and tries to kiss the mutant girl, she rejects him and he walks a way, promising never to be a hero again.
I have faced many disappointments in my comic reading years, but this has to be one of the biggest. It was a bad story, bad writing, and bad art. The story was to simple for a character as complicated as Magneto, and it was toned down from what Magneto's story usually is. I don't know if Howard Chaykin was trying to make this a kids comic, but even if that was the intention, it still would have been bad. I understand that this and the other X-Men one-shots coming out are promos for the new movie, but they should at least be half decent. This is going to be a short review, because the story was overly simple, with no redeeming value, and there isn't a lot to talk about. What I can talk about is the upcoming movie. One of the best things I've ever read is the first ten X-Men comics. They were fun, interesting, and exciting. I always wished there would be a movie made about the original team: Cyclops, Jean Grey, Ice Man, Angle, and Beast. To be honest I don't know if the original team team will even be in the movie (although in the preview there was a character that looked a lot like Beast) but even if the movie is pre-X-Men, I'm very much looking forward to it, even though this promo was terrible.

Grade: 0.5/10
Buy at own risk
Posted by Jozeph Dukö
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:56 am

http://www.stylebizportal.com/?p=1421

X-Men: First Class

Are you an X-Men addict? A Marvel fan? A superhero wanna-be?

You are just in luck. There is another prequel coming out on June for X-Men and it is 5th installment of the X-Men film series and the prequel to the first three movies.

Scheduled to be released on June 3, 2011, this movie is already creating a lot of buzz. Blame it on the fact that this will be the first time we will see Professor X walking and Magneto being buddies with him in full film, or blame it on multi-awarded, “Wanted” hottie, James McAvoy who plays Professor Charles Xavier in the movie.

And alongside him would be Michael Fassbender who is as equally hot and perfect for the role. If he doesn’t ring a bell, you might wanna watch the mini TV Series “Band of Brothers” and yes girls, “300″. He played Thelios in the movie that showed 300 sets of 6-pack and his is one of them! Okay, you need some visuals? How’s this?

Yep, that’s the hotter version of Magneto. Going back to the movie (excuse me for the distraction), this X-Men prequel centers around the relationship that Professor X had with Magneto, how they discovered their powers together, how they had a falling out, and eventually became enemies.

So, if they were friends in the movie, who was the villain? Meet Sebastian Shaw, played by (to my surprise) Kevin Bacon.

Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon) leads the elite society called Hellfire Club which seeks to do more than just be well-connected in society and wear the designer clothes during the 1960s. The story-line is centered around the Cuban Missile Crisis and how the mutants were greatly involved with it.

Although the plot is known to many, there are still a lot of things to look forward to in the movie, including the actors’ acting and if they fit the younger version of the mutants we love and hate, the new mutants that will be introduced in the movie, and the costumes of course. It is said that the yellow and blue X-Men costumes were brought back in this movie, and I would really like to see how that went!

Now I guess there’s nothing left to do but show you the movie trailer and hope to see you in the movies on June! Happy reliving your childhood dreams! Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:43 am

http://dc-marvel-universe.blogspot.com/2011/04/magneto-master-of-magnetism.html

MAGNETO : Master of Magnetism
"Actually, m'sieu, you CAN. By telling the world how your family was saved by MAGNETO. MAGNETO the terrorist. MAGNETO the super-villain. MAGNETO the MUTANT. Remember me always, m'sieu. I could have let them perish -- but I chose LIFE!" --Max Eisenhardt

Know Your CBM Character - DEADPOOL. Who he is? What are his powers and abilities? Who played him in live media.

Who is MAGNETO?
He is Magnus, Erik Lehnsherr, Max Eisenhardt, savior, terrorist, supervillain, antihero, hero, he is many more things. But whoever he is, he has serious powers to back up his talk of protecting mutantkind with whatever means necessary.

MAGNETO was created by writer Stan Lee and artist Jack Kirby. A powerful mutant with the ability to generate and control magnetism, MAGNETO has been the X-Men's most prominent enemy ever since his first appearance in X-Men #1 (Sept. 1963).

What are his powers and abilities?
Note: Due to the nature of comicbooks being an on-going tale, the character's powers along with his appearance, is in a constant state of flux.

Magnetic Field Manipulation: Superhuman power to channel and manipulate magnetic fields that exist naturally or artificially.

Magnetic Force-Fields: MAGNETO usually protects himself with a personal force field that he can quickly expand to protect large areas.

Magnetic Flight: MAGNETO is also capable of sustaining flight for very long distances and at varying speeds.

Matter Manipulation: MAGNETO is able to manipulate matter even to the subatomic level for a number of purposes.

Electromagnetic Sight: By concentrating, MAGNETO can perceive the world around himself as patterns of magnetic and electrical energy. He can perceive the natural magnetic auras surrounding living beings.

Metallic Bonding: MAGNETO has recently presented the power to atomically bond metallic substances to any designated surface material.

Organic Iron Manipulation: MAGNETO can control the traces of iron within organic matter, which allows him to have full control over an opponent's body.

Geomagnetic Link: Magnus is tied very closely to Earth's EM Field. As is it effected, so is he. He knows instinctively all that happens to it, and with this link, is granted an odd sort of immortality.

Superhuman Strength: Under normal conditions, MAGNETO possesses the physical strength of a well conditioned athlete. However, he can channel vast amounts of magnetic energy through his body for the purpose of granting himself vast superhuman strength which limits are unknown. Whatever those limits might be, he is ultimately able to lift far in excess of 100 tons with ease.

Superhuman Stamina: As a result of increasing his strength, he dramatically increases the overall efficiency of his musculature. While magnetically enhanced, his muscles produce considerably less fatigue toxins during physical activity than the musculature of a normal human. MAGNETO can exert himself physically for up to at least a few days before the build up of fatigue toxins in his blood starts to impair him.

Superhuman Durability: Under normal conditions, MAGNETO possesses the physical durability of a well conditioned athlete. However, he can channel vast amounts of magnetic energy through his body for the purpose of granting himself vast superhuman durability.

Superhuman Reflexes: He naturally possesses enhanced reflexes. He can further enhance this reflexes with magnetic energy.

Superhuman Speed

Electromagnetic Spectrum Manipulation: Although MAGNETO's primary power is magnetism, he has some ability to project or manipulate any form of energy that is related to the electromagnetic spectrum. He can fire and absorb bolts of electricity and magnetic force, reverse lasers and other forms of radiation or energy, create enough intense heat as infrared radiation to level a city, manipulate gravity, and become invisible by deflecting visible light around his body. Infrared radiation is part of the electromagnetic spectrum, which also includes visible light, radio waves, ultraviolet light, gamma rays and x-rays -- MAGNETO can project any of these. MAGNETO has demonstrated the capacity to produce a wormhole, and to safely teleport himself and others by means of the wormhole.

Abilities
Telepathic Resistance: MAGNETO has trained himself extensively for fighting telepaths, and is resistant to telepathic attack although the effects are further augmented with the aid of his helmet.

Genius-level Intellect: A mastermind, MAGNETO is a genius within various scientific fields. He is an expert on genetic engineering and mutation, with knowledge far beyond that of contemporary science.

Military Training: MAGNETO is a skilled strategist and has more than a rudimentary knowledge of hand-to-hand combat.

Excellent Strategist: MAGNETO is an excellent strategist, both in actual battles and games of chess.

Multi Lingual: MAGNETO is fluent in English, French, Polish, Russian, Hebrew, Arabic, Ukrainian, German, and Yiddish

Appearances
Enter MAGNETO
1963: First appeared in X-Men Vol 1 #1 (September, 1963) and a recurring villain throughout that series.

Brotherhood
MAGNETO also leads his own supergroup called the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. (I like that its clearly stated that they are evil)

His costume during this time was pretty straight forward Comic Style costume; Red tights all over, with blue gloves, boots, and boxer, what keeps him apart is the stylized helmet he wears.

Baby MAGNETO
MAGNETO was transformed into a baby by one of his creation Alpha the Ultimate Mutant. Lucky for him an agent of Shiar transformed him back into the prime of his adulthood.

Exo-skeleton
MAGNETO also wore some sort of exo-skeleton while battling the Fantastic Four and Namor. We begin to see some purple on his outfit.

Updated Costume
By 1973 MAGNETO has modified his costume. He now added some sort of metal collar with studs (the likes they put on building constructions) around his upper torso area. I guess significant if you are someone who can control metals.

Trial
When a young mutant tried to stop one of his diabolical machines, and seemed to perish (see what I did there, I use the word seemed because nobody truly dies in the comics, for those who want to know the name of the young mutant, it was Kitty Pryde, I told you she only "seemed" dead. As she is running, floating and phasing around perfectly for many years to come. What do you say, she was dead again, in a what? A giant bullet? Hmmmmm....welll.... moving on) MAGNETO tried to renounce his "evil" ways and allowed himself to be placed in trial. (Like in the real world, MAGNETO was acquitted from all of his terrorist acts he has commited, and so, we give a point to the Marvel Universe judicial system.)

New Mutant
A reformed MAGNETO then went to teach in the X-Men, and became the headmaster of the New Mutants.

He is all about the Teddy Bears at this time.

MAGNETO the White
There's a dictum that says "You can't keep an "evil" mutant good". What? There's no such saying. Well, if there is MAGNETO will fall smackly right in the middle of it. So, after his tenure with the New Mutants, MAGNETO slowly falls back to his old ways. First by joining the Hellfire Club, as the White King and later on overthrowing Sebastian Shaw, and getting the name Grey King. (Hmmm.... Sebastian Shaw.... MAGNETO... X-Men First Class movie... are yout thinking what I am thinking? That Fox, messed up the whole franchise.... no...no... that it could be a possible plot point for the new movie. I'm just saying, and yes Fox this messed up this franchise.)

MAGNETO returning to old ways
After playing at the side of the angels, and practicing Charles Xavier's philosophy of mutants and humans being able to live harmoniously with each other, MAGNETO snapped back and return to his former self. Tried to distant the mutants from the humans by making Avalon and later Genosha, with a lot of body count left along the way.

The man known as Joseph
Charles Xavier, angered by what MAGNETO has done to one of his X-Man, wiped out MAGNETO's memories. After that incident an individual who looks like MAGNETO emerge, possessing all of MAGNETO's powers, and calling himself, Joseph. This turned out to be MAGNETO's clone.

Joseph wore a traditional X-Man blue and gold uniform.

The making of an Onslaught
The incident where Xavier wiped out MAGNETO's memories led to the creation of Onslaught an omnipotent being that was formed with the combination of both Xavier's and MAGNETO's powers.

Xorn
Just another pretender to the name of MAGNETO. Xorn has a star for a head (Yup! You heard me right), which gives him the power of electromagnetism, useful if you're going to claim yourself as MAGNETO.

House of Magnus
MAGNETO's daughter the Scarlet Witch, suffered a mental breakdown, which is a lot scarier if you have the ability to warp reality, and warp reality she did. In the House of M reality MAGNETO and the other mutants had their hearts wishes fulfilled. Though it did not last that long.

Fighting alongside the X-Men… again.
After all the crazy things that happened to him. We presently see MAGNETO with the Cyclops led X-Man. For how long we'll never know.
(Remember that mutant girl inside the bullet, Shadowcat. If you were reading what I wrote above, which I presume only 3 persons do, I told you that she died but did not and then she died again, well it turns out she actually didn't die, and she is still trap in that giant bullet cruising in space. Well our boy MAGNETO here wanted to show his current teammates that he indeed is playing nice nowadays, used all of his magnetic powers to reel in that giant bullet. Voila! Superhero MAGNETO)

MAGNETO in live media
1. Sir Ian McKellen
MAGNETO was played by two-time Academy Award-nominee Sir Ian McKellen in the movie X-Men and its sequels, X2 and X-Men: The Last Stand.

2. Michael Fassbender
Michael Fassbender will play the role of the young Eric Lensherr in X-Men: First Class.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri May 06, 2011 9:36 pm

http://insidepulse.com/2011/05/04/r0btrains-badass-cinema-marvel-ous-villainy/

R0BTRAIN’s Badass Cinema: Marvel-ous Villainy
by Robert Sutton - May 4, 2011

Hey everyone and welcome to summer 2011! I know my last column wasn’t a particularly positive one, but I’ve got to tell you that as of this moment I’m pretty stoked about getting the summer kicked off and I’m trying really hard to be optimistic. A big reason for that has been the positive word of mouth on Thor so far, which I’m hoping will kick the big movie season off on the right foot the way Iron Man managed to in ’08. That year also featured a big superhero summer and if Thor manages to be as huge and entertaining, then perhaps we’ll be in for the same type of great results.

Another reason that I’m in a good mood is that Fast Five has kind of already gotten the good times rolling a week early. Flooring me with just how fun it is, Fast Five not only stands out as the best movie in the series, but might end up the best old-school thrill ride of the whole season. Like The Expendables on wheels, Fast Five is just a rocking cast (and Paul Walker) doing awesome things for just over two hours. If you’ve ever wanted to watch a movie like Bad Boys 2 but not feel guilty about it afterward, then maybe this is the one for you.

Big, macho epics haven’t really been in short supply this year, with the surprisingly entertaining update of The Mechanic giving Jason Statham the chance to get his Bronson on, and Battle: Los Angeles supplying tons of destruction and Marines spouting “It’s been an honor”-type lines, but Fast Five really brings the goods with all the gun fights, fist fights, and car chases you can handle. It’s amazing that after all this time someone finally decided to put Vin Diesel and The Rock in a movie together, and then actually managed to use them correctly. If I could get a prequel about The Rock and his team of super commandos taking out international crime rings and terrorists, I’m sure that would make me perfectly happy and take in a boatload of cash in the process. In fact, if the rumors are true about director Justin Lin taking on the next Terminator sequel, perhaps he should think about bringing The Rock and Vin Diesel with him.

Can someone else tell me if this has ever happened before, where the fifth film in a series ends up being the best one of the bunch? I’ve always understood the appeal of The Fast and the Furious series, but to be honest, I’ve never really been a fan. I kind of loathe Rob Cohen (xXx, The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor) as an action director, because he’s not spectacularly bad, I just think he’s cut from the same hugely mediocre cloth as directors like Paul W.S. Anderson and Mark Steven Johnson, and the first film is a prime example of his work. With so much intrigue and so many car chases, The Fast and the Furious should be a cheesy blast, but I think it just kind of lays there with its pretty cars and pretty people, and ends up going nowhere.

Some of the other entries have fared better, but Fast Five is the first time I’ve really felt the movies have really had the type of energy I want from my big, blockbuster action films. The action sequences within the film get bigger and bigger until the finale lays waste to much of Rio, while the fight between The Rock and Vin Diesel is the sort of epic, wall busting smackdown you want it to be. Also, by adding in so many of the characters from the previous movies, it actually gives the flick a bit of a mythic quality that the series has never had before. Fast Five almost feels like a new beginning for this franchise, and I hope they’re able to take advantage of it.

Speaking of franchises and new beginnings, this past week I saw a tweet from action star Scott Adkins (Ninja, Undisputed III) that made me happy to no end:

Getting on a plane to go and make Universal Soldier 4 with Dolph & JC.

Just as Fast Five shocked me this past weekend, perhaps the title of 2010’s most shockingly entertaining sequel belonged to Universal Soldier: Regeneration, which brought back not only Jean-Claude Van Damme, but also a reinvigorated Dolph Lundgren, both of which ended up giving us two of the best performances of their careers. The movie is just a rock-solid actionfest, featuring some of the best onscreen fights of last year, a great bad guy in former UFC Heavyweight Champion Andrei Arlovski, and a finale that absolutely floors you with its wall to wall intensity. Fans who thought that The Expendables was the only action-hero-reunion movie of last year would do well to check it out.

Rumors have abounded about a new Universal Soldier film for months now, and thankfully that looks to be the case, with director John Hyams coming back on board again for good measure. While many may not have seen the last movie because of it being a DTV release, US:R was one of the best action films of any size to come out last year, and with the addition of Scott Adkins to the cast of this new film, I’m absolutely frothing at the mouth to see what Hyams, JCVD, and company can come up with next. If John Hyams can make this new Universal Soldier film just as memorable, I say make him the frontrunner for the Expendables 2 gig.

Of course, all eyes will be on Thor this weekend, as I’ve already talked about how important the movie is for the upcoming summer season, but it’s also hugely important for Marvel and its buildup for The Avengers. Marvel’s films need to be a big steamroll that keeps getting stronger and faster until 2012’s big event, and while Iron Man proved to be a terrific beginning for the Avengers’ setup, Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2 didn’t set the world on fire as many would have hoped. Thor needs to be really solid and Captain America perhaps even better for Marvel’s plans to fall into place properly.

I will say upfront that I have the utmost confidence in Chris Helmsworth as the film’s title hero, as he seems to have the boisterous aspects of the character down, and I’m sure he’ll have the right physical presence to portray one of the Marvel Universe’s most powerful beings. Unfortunately, nearly everything we’ve seen from the movie has been centered on Thor himself, so we’re kind of left with question marks about everyone else, especially Tom Hiddleston as Loki. Villains are so important to a big saga like this, and if Loki can’t appear to hold his own onscreen with the Thunder God, the entire enterprise could appear lopsided and end up boring.

Too often the villains in Marvel properties just aren’t up to par with the rest of their movies, which can really leave a bad taste in your mouth. Case in point, I’m a fan of Julian McMahon as an actor and admire his work on the series Nip/Tuck, but I think he’s completely wrong for Dr. Doom in the Fantastic Four movies. Doom is perhaps Marvel’s most important villain, and he’s severely botched (along with most everything else) in both Fantastic Four flicks, which doesn’t do either picture any favors. Even in the original Spider-man, Willem Dafoe’s Green Goblin isn’t everything he could be, with a lot of the problems coming from his weak costume and over-the-top take on Spidey’s biggest foe. Want more? How about Nick Nolte in Hulk, John Travolta in The Punisher, or Dominic Purcell’s awful turn as Dracula in Blade: Trinity. Not enough? Well then there’s Colin Farrell as Bullseye in Daredevil, Peter Fonda as Mephistopheles in Ghost Rider, and weak sauce versions of Deadpool and Phoenix from various X-Men travesties.

In fact, the list of Marvel Villains that have actually gotten their proper due is unfortunately pretty short. I’m hoping that I can slap Loki’s name on this list after Friday, and if we’re lucky he doesn’t end up on the pile with emo Peter Parker and Wes Bentley’s Blackheart. So for what it’s worth, here are Marvel bad guys I think have actually made the trip from the comic page to the bigscreen successfully.

The Best of Marvel Movie Villainy

Ron Perlman as Reinhardt, Blade II

If you had to put a gun to my head and ask me my absolute favorite of Marvel’s movies, I’d ask you why you brought a gun in the first place and then I’d probably tell you Blade II. The fact is, Blade II is just a kick-ass movie from start to finish, Marvel movie or no, and while Luke Goss gets all the big, operatic bad guy moments in the movie, Ron Perlman is just an absolute blast as Reinhardt, a member of the Vampire Nation’s Bloodpack with a particularly large amount of hate for Wesley Snipes’ Blade. Hilarious and badass in every scene he’s in, you really can’t take your eyes off of Pearlman in the movie, even when half his face is burned up and he’s making bad jokes about his mother being murdered. (note: Not sure if Reinhardt is actually in the comics or not, but you get the point.)

Mickey Rourke as Whiplash, Iron Man 2

As my favorite part of Iron Man 2, you can just tell that Mickey Rourke threw everything he had into Whiplash to make him as memorable as possible. The costume is awesome, but Rourke carries Ivan Vanko so well that it doesn’t matter whether there are pyrotechnics going on or not to keep you interested in the character. Whiplash is like a coiled snake, ready to strike at a moment’s notice. When we see the aftermath of his carnage after he’s wiped out a couple of tough-looking guards, it creates a pretty haunting image in the middle of what’s supposed to be a fun romp of a movie. With not a lot said, Rourke’s character manages to still speak volumes with his dastardly deeds, with the theft of the movie being his biggest crime after all is said and done.

Brian Cox and Kelly Hu as Colonel William Stryker and Deathstrike, X2

This duo caused all kinds of havoc in their X2 mutant witchhunt and even invaded Charles Xavier’s mansion, which I’m sure everyone up to that point thought was pretty impregnable. Bryan Singer’s second foray into the X-Men universe still stands as the best movie in the series, which added some much needed gravity to the super-heroics, and Stryker and Deathstrike make for a perfect pair of heavies to go with the movie’s dramatic stylings. Cox is pure evil and chews up all the scenery he can every moment he’s onscreen, while Hu’s Deathstrike is still the best physical villain the X-franchise has ever been able to produce.

Alfred Molina as Dr. Otto Octavius, Spider-Man 2

Easily the best villain of the Spider-Man movies, Alfred Molina’s Doc Ock is that classic case of an upstanding man turned evil while trying to do good works. Molina does an amazing job of showing a man go from Dr. Frankenstein to Frankenstein’s monster all in an instant, but better yet displays during the entire film that Octavius is a man with a soul, even if circumstances cause that soul to get twisted. Octavius’ interactions with his new limbs are awesome, as they’re treated like a character all on their own, and together they treat NYC as their personal battlefield with which to wage war with Spider-Man. There’s a reason that Spider-Man’s comic book Rogues Gallery is considered one of the best in the business and seeing Doctor Octopus re-created in such a complete way is just further proof of that onscreen.

Sir Ian McKellen as Magneto, The X-Men franchise

To be honest, I wasn’t sure what to think of the casting of Sir Ian McKellen when it was announced he would be playing Magneto in 2000’s X-Men. I’d always pictured the villain as he was on the page, kind of like Ricardo Montalbán’s Khan with a big purple and red suit, but instead of just a physical presence, director Bryan Singer chose McKellen for his cerebral quality. This was someone who could believably match wits with Patrick Stewart’s Professor X, and still appear menacing in a battle because of his powers, not because of brute strength.

McKellen’s Magneto is an amazing villain because he’s one you can easily sympathize with. His methods are questionable, but his cause is just; he protects his people from those who would seek to wipe them out. He’s also a man that is easy to root for when it comes time for him to be an anti-hero rather than just being a straight villain. Never resorting to being an over-the- top thug or maniac, Magneto’s a brilliant mind whose menace comes when you don’t necessarily expect it. When you need your villain to be understood and not just feared, it helps to get one of the best actors in the world, and that’s exactly what this character has going for it. Hopefully Michael Fassbender has just as much luck in his upcoming interpretation in X-Men: First Class.

So that’s it for now folks. Talk to you guys soon.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu May 19, 2011 4:11 pm

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue May 24, 2011 9:37 pm

http://www.thepinoybigblogger.com/before-he-was-magneto-fassbender-in-%E2%80%98x-men-first-class%E2%80%99

Before He was Magneto: Fassbender in ‘X-Men: First Class’

Michael Fassbender is Erik Lehnsherr, the young Magneto, leader of the Brotherhood of Mutants, Master of Magnetism and quite possibly the most powerful mutant on the planet in “X-Men: First Class.”

The Erik of “X-Men: First Class” is a very different, and arguably a more dangerous proposition – a man tortured by the ravages of his past, consumed by pain and a thirst for vengeance and a mutant just starting to grapple with the notion that humanity is something to be discarded like a used toy. Exploring then a rich and rewarding friendship with the young Professor Charles Xavier (James McAvoy), Erik has finally met an equal.

“There is a very strong bond between Charles and Erik, and a deep respect. But from the beginning, their ideologies are at odds. Erik is very wary of new elements in his life. When Erik and Charles have their parting of the ways, audiences will realize that great things could have happened if they had joined forces forever,” says Michael Fassbender.

“X-Men: First Class” tracks Charles and Erik in their mid-twenties, during the height of the civil rights movement and the Cold War. Both aspects of that period provided an exciting opportunity to explore events that would shape our modern world. One of the Cold War’s flashpoints was the Cuban missile crisis, during which the threat of sudden global extinction loomed large, and which provided the ultimate stakes for mutants to reveal themselves to the world and prevent a conflagration that would engulf the planet. They are essentially cut from the same cloth, and both see mutants as potential subjects of persecution. However, Charles lives to protect those who fear him while Erik lives to destroy them. Each believes his side is right. Neither is willing to compromise.

Erik is also hesitant to join Charles on his mission to save the world from itself. “Erik is quite Machiavellian; he believes the end justifies the means,” Fassbender explains. “He has no regard for humans, and feels they’re inferior.” Erik’s cavalier attitudes about humans stem from his childhood, which couldn’t have been more different from Charles’ life of privilege. Erik had to survive without parents, and as a youngster was forced to endure unimaginable hardships.

Erik is a force of fury and hate, hunting Schmidt and the other Nazi doctors whom he believes turned him into a kind of Frankenstein’s monster. Even as Erik finds his first friend in Charles and is embraced by the other members of the team that will become the X-Men, he never veers from his mission. “Erik is totally driven; if Charles or anyone gets in his way, he’s going to put them down,” says Fassbender.

Director Matthew Vaughn had seen Fassbender’s critically acclaimed performances in “300,” “Hunger,” and “Inglourious Basterds,” and after Fassbender’s impressive audition, cast the actor as Erik. “Michael gives Erik an interesting attitude, and Erik is really straight-up cool,” says the director. “Michael’s work in this film is reminiscent of Sean Connery’s interpretation of James Bond. Erik is like the ultimate spy – imagine Bond…but with superpowers.”

“X-Men: First Class” opens June 2 (Thursday) nationwide from 20th Century Fox to be distributed by Warner Bros. Visit 20th Century Fox (Philippines) on Facebook and on www.youtube.com/20thcenturyfoxph for promos and latest clips.

There are no posts related to Before He was Magneto: Fassbender in ‘X-Men: First Class’.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat May 28, 2011 4:18 am

http://britishtop10.co.cc/2011/before-he-was-magneto-michael-fassbender-in-%E2%80%9Cx-men-first-class%E2%80%9D/

Before He Was Magneto: Michael Fassbender in “X-Men: First Class”

Michael Fassbender is Erik Lehnsherr, the young Magneto, leader of the Brotherhood of Mutants, Master of Magnetism and quite possibly the most powerful mutant on the planet in “X-Men: First Class.”

The Erik of “X-Men: First Class” is a very different, and arguably a more dangerous proposition – a man tortured by the ravages of his past, consumed by pain and a thirst for vengeance and a mutant just starting to grapple with the notion that humanity is something to be discarded like a used toy. Exploring then a rich and rewarding friendship with the young Professor Charles Xavier (James McAvoy), Erik has finally met an equal.

“There is a very strong bond between Charles and Erik, and a deep respect. But from the beginning, their ideologies are at odds. Erik is very wary of new elements in his life. When Erik and Charles have their parting of the ways, audiences will realize that great things could have happened if they had joined forces forever,” says Michael Fassbender.

“X-Men: First Class” tracks Charles and Erik in their mid-twenties, during the height of the civil rights movement and the Cold War. Both aspects of that period provided an exciting opportunity to explore events that would shape our modern world. One of the Cold War’s flashpoints was the Cuban missile crisis, during which the threat of sudden global extinction loomed large, and which provided the ultimate stakes for mutants to reveal themselves to the world and prevent a conflagration that would engulf the planet. They are essentially cut from the same cloth, and both see mutants as potential subjects of persecution. However, Charles lives to protect those who fear him while Erik lives to destroy them. Each believes his side is right. Neither is willing to compromise.

Erik is also hesitant to join Charles on his mission to save the world from itself. “Erik is quite Machiavellian; he believes the end justifies the means,” Fassbender explains. “He has no regard for humans, and feels they’re inferior.” Erik’s cavalier attitudes about humans stem from his childhood, which couldn’t have been more different from Charles’ life of privilege. Erik had to survive without parents, and as a youngster was forced to endure unimaginable hardships.

Erik is a force of fury and hate, hunting Schmidt and the other Nazi doctors whom he believes turned him into a kind of Frankenstein’s monster. Even as Erik finds his first friend in Charles and is embraced by the other members of the team that will become the X-Men, he never veers from his mission. “Erik is totally driven; if Charles or anyone gets in his way, he’s going to put them down,” says Fassbender.

Director Matthew Vaughn had seen Fassbender’s critically acclaimed performances in “300,” “Hunger,” and “Inglourious Basterds,” and after Fassbender’s impressive audition, cast the actor as Erik. “Michael gives Erik an interesting attitude, and Erik is really straight-up cool,” says the director. “Michael’s work in this film is reminiscent of Sean Connery’s interpretation of James Bond. Erik is like the ultimate spy – imagine Bond…but with superpowers.”

“X-Men: First Class” opens June 2, Thursday, nationwide from 20th Century Fox to be distributed by Warner Bros. Visit 20th Century Fox (Philippines) on Facebook and on www.youtube.com/20thcenturyfoxph for promos and latest clips.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun May 29, 2011 10:12 pm

http://digitista.blogspot.com/2011/05/magneto-explained-in-x-men-first-class.html

Sunday, May 29, 2011
Magneto unleashed in X-Men: First Class

The previous X-Men movies showed the dark, ruthless and revengeful character of Magneto, the powerful mutant who can manipulate magnetism and is considered as the arch nemesis not only of Professor X but the entire X-Men team.

But before he became Magneto, he is Erick Lehnsherr (Michael Fassbender), who is also the leader of the Brotherhood of Mutants and quite possibly the most powerful mutant on the planet in the upcoming X-Men movie prequel “X-Men: First Class.”

“X-Men: First Class” opens June 2 (Thursday) nationwide from 20th Century Fox to be distributed by Warner Bros.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:44 pm

http://www.thedeadbolt.com/news/1000258/michael_fassbender_magneto_accent_xmen_first_class.php

Michael Fassbender Reveals X-Men Origins of Magneto Accent by Troy Rogers

[X-Men: First Class Magneto]

Since Michael Fassbender plays the X-Men role of Erik Lehnsherr who becomes the villain Magneto in X-Men: First Class, many X-Men fans have wondered how Fassbender shaped his accent for the young Magneto.

In an exclusive interview with IGN, X-Men: First Class star Michael Fassbender explained the unique accent of Magneto in the new X-Men film as related to his own Irish style speak. "I'm kind of using my own accent and taking out as much Irish-ness as I can," said Fassbender to IGN. "But what do you do with the accent? Because he's not English and he didn't really have any sort of history in England."

Interestingly, Michael Fassbender revealed that he opted to play a more neutral version of his own accent in order to fit the X-Men ambiguities within the Magneto dialect.

Although the version of Magneto played by Ian McKellen had a distinct English accent in the first three X-Men films, the Fassbender portrayal of Magneto was unique given how people's speech patterns change over time.

What do you think of the non-Irish, non-English, unique accent of Michael Fassbender in X-Men: First Class?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:21 pm

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/joshw24/news/?a=38839

Michael Fassbender Explains His Choice Of Accent For X-Men: First Class' Magneto!
The star of the critically acclaimed X-Men: First Class explains his choice of accent for Erik Lensher/Magneto in the movie, shedding some light on why we heard a slight twang of his natural Irish accent...

While Michael Fassbender's Erik Lensherr was seemingly of German origin in X-Men: First Class, some were left wondering about his rather unique accent, which occassionally sounded a little Irish...not a surprise as that's where the actor is actually from. Well, here's an explanation for you courtesy of IGN Movies:

"I'm kind of using my own accent and taking out as much Irish-ness as I can. People always say that I sound anything but Irish... most people say to me Canadian, or people have said Dutch, German, South African.

"But what do you do with the accent? Because he's not English and he didn't really have any sort of history in England. But I think he is well-educated... so I'm just trying to play a more neutral version of my own accent."

So there you have it! I can't say his accent bothered me in the least, but I now a few people picked up on it. What did you think? Be sure to share your thoughts in the usual place!

Starring James McAvoy as Charles Xavier, Michael Fassbender as Erik Lensherr, Nicholas Hoult as Hank McCoy, Jennifer Lawrence as Raven Darkholme, Lucas Till as Alex Summers/Havok, Caleb Landry Jones as Sean Cassidy/Banshee, Kevin Bacon as Sebastian Shaw, Oliver Platt as the Man in Black, Jason Flemyng as Azazel and Rose Byrne as Moira MacTaggart, X-Men: First Class is out now!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:03 am

http://thepasswordisswordfish.com/2011/06/12/x-men-first-class-fassbenders-magnetism-makes-this-film-attractive/

X-Men: First Class: Fassbender’s Magnetism Makes This Film Attractive

I grew up on X-Men. I read the comic books, I collected the action figures, I watched the TV show. I collected the Fleer Ultra X-Men trading cards. So needless to say, every time an X-Men movie comes out, I am the first in line and the most excited to see the characters of my childhood on the big screen. I was blown away by the first half of X-Men, and X2 is still to date the best comic book superhero film ever made (sorry, The Dark Knight, you lose). X-Men 3 looked good but had a central plot device that never really worked and a terrible ending. Wolverine was terrible all-around. I was wildly skeptical about the reboot, since “origin films” and “prequels” rarely work. X-Men: First Class is certainly entertaining, with some great action sequences, but it feels crowded and overstuffed. Michael Fassbender as Magneto, however, delivers such a great performance that we feel how good this film might have been if it was more pared down.

We begin by meeting Charles Xavier as a child, who discovers a young Mystique breaking into his house. They grow up to become friends (played by James McAvoy and Jennifer Lawrence, respectively), though it’s implied that maybe Mystique is interested in capturing Charles’ eye. Erik Lensherr is a child in a Holocaust death camp, where he meets Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon), who is working with the Nazis to attempt to find mutants. He kills Erik’s mother to trigger his mutant power, magnetism. When Erik (played as an adult by Michael Fassbender) gets older, we see him hunting down surviving Nazis and killing them, all the while asking for Shaw’s whereabouts. Moira McTaggart (Rose Byrne) is a CIA officer looking for Shaw, who believes she’s discovered the existence of mutants. The CIA (led by Oliver Platt) employs Xavier and Mystique to find Shaw, which is where they discover and befriend Magneto. They then recruit an army of young mutants, including Beast (Nicholas Hoult), Angel (Zoe Kravitz), Darwin (Edi Gathegi), Havok (Lucas Till), and Banshee (Caleb Landry Jones), to take on Shaw and his allies Emma Frost (January Jones) and Azazael (Jason Flemyng).

Purists of the X-Men franchise will obviously have a massive field day with criticism against this film, because it in no way reflects any of the realities from the comics. Characters’ pasts are drastically altered, events are drastically altered… the mere timelines of characters’ existences are drastically altered. This doesn’t really affect the quality of the film per se, but since the film isn’t perfect in this form, it does make you wonder why they would bother doing a franchise reboot that is so different from the source material. It also makes you wonder why they’d crowd the film with so many characters– each of the X-Men characters is fascinating and has a life of their own, so why reduce many of them into one-dimensional cyphers? Why create new characters just to put them on a casualty list? Why introduce major characters just to kill them when they could have been major players in several films in the franchise? The point I’m trying to underscore is… I have no problem with seriously diverting from the actual source material as long as the choices being made are what is best for the franchise (for great examples, see many of the cuts and/or additions in the Harry Potter films). Fox seems to be damaging the X-Men franchise long-term by being flip with the choices made about the characters.

Some of the actors are charming enough in their roles, in particular McAvoy and Hoult, but the movie belongs entirely to Michael Fassbender as Magneto. From the moment he steps on the screen, we are thoroughly intrigued. This is partially due to the writing– the hellbent-on-revenge kid who lost parents during the Holocaust is inherently more interesting than the rich kid working on his thesis. This does give Fassbender more to play, and he makes it work. He hunts down Nazis like a mutant Inglourious Basterd (also a film starring Fassbender), and I could have watched an entire film of just this. He’s also the only mutant not immediately buying into Xavier’s vision of a mutant superteam helping humanity. Why should he? He’s seen the horrors of the world, and Xavier’s only horrors are when the private chef doesn’t have his meals prepared on time. Matthew Vaughn and the pack of writers who worked on this script over several years didn’t balance the scales well enough– we don’t understand why we should watch and care for Xavier except for how he can help Magneto and his morally complex quest.

The movie is still plenty enjoyable, though. Kevin Bacon hams it up as Sebastian Shaw, and he certainly proves a worthy adversary. Azazael’s teleportation (a mutant effect that Bryan Singer made so memorable in the opening sequence of X2) makes both a break-in at CIA Headquarters and a one-on-one fight with Beast some of the most exciting action of the year. Cameos by Hugh Jackman and Rebecca Romijn get big laughs, and the movie is witty and breezy throughout. Finally, the special effects, always strong in this franchise, are better than ever, with missile conflicts and submarine levitation being among the most impressive feats accomplished on screen during this fifth X-Men film. Somewhere hidden within this film is a focused, streamlined, 4-star film starring Fassbender as Magneto, focusing on his conflict with Shaw and his budding relationship with Xavier, leaving out much of the recruitment process, the CIA, and the extra character with no development (Angel, Darwin, Riptide, etc.). Instead, because the movie gets cluttered and creates new one-dimensional developments for their myriad of characters, First Class has to settle for being less than first rate.

~ by russellhainline on June 12, 2011.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:01 am

http://www.theprovocation.net/2011/07/10-most-badass-heroes-villains-and.html

Monday, July 11, 2011
10 Most Badass Heroes, Villains and Psychos on Celluloid
As the first in our new series of Top 10 lists, we at The Provocation are turning to Hollywood and revisiting some famous film characters you would not want to provoke. These are the folks we wouldn't want to meet in an alley even if it weren't dark. So without further ado, here is our list of badasses, with a few honorable (or in some cases, dishonorable) mentions thrown in for good measure.

10. The Hulk/Tyler Durden (Edward Norton)

Yes, that Edward Norton. The scrawny guy who played a wimpy priest in Keeping the Faith. Never mind that. He also owns the distinction of having played opposite two of the most badass alter egos ever to appear on film. In Fight Club, he was the nameless narrator who traded in his numbing corporate day job for a nocturnal existence as Tyler Durden, bare-knuckled mastermind of adrenalized anarchy and soap salesman extraordinaire. In The Incredible Hulk, he was Bruce "Don't Call Me David" Banner, the Jekyll-ian form of the Jade Giant. Just don't make him angry. You wouldn't like him when he's angry.

9. Brian Mills (Liam Neeson)

No one does righteous anger quite the way Neeson does, dating all the way back to his turn as Rob Roy and continuing through his portrayal of Batman's mentor-turned-nemesis Rā's al Ghūl in the best (yes, I said the best) of the Batman movies, Batman Begins. His simmering anger and single-minded determination reached their peak, however, in Taken, where he plays a retired CIA agent on a crusade to free his daughter from Albanian sex traders. Talk about the Hulk all you want, but in the end he's a piece of emerald fiction. Neeson, at 6-foot-4, cuts an imposing figure in real life.

8. Erik Lensherr (Michael Fassbender)

No disrespect to Ian McKellan, who plays Lensherr's alter ego, Magneto, later in life, but it's Fassbender's version that is particularly primal. And with good reason. As X-Men: First Class chronicles, young Erik was driven to a single-minded pursuit of vengeance after watching his mother murdered before his eyes as a youth in Nazi Germany. Even those who know Magneto's ultimate turn for the worst can't help but find it satisfying when he gives his mother's killer (a greasy Kevin Bacon) a penny for his thoughts - in a most gruesome twist on that old cliche.

7. Slim (Jennifer Lopez)

Yes, that Jennifer Lopez. The American Idol judge without the big lips (that's Steven Tyler). She wasn't about to save her malevolent husband/nemesis from elimination in the 2001 film Enough, a movie didn't get particularly good reviews thanks to its somewhat cliched plot line, but nonetheless did respectable business at the box office. No one would mistake Lopez for a seasoned Shakespearean actor, yet it's hard to deny that she succeeded in channeling the rage of many an abused spouse in this cinematic ode to the abused everywoman.

6. Walter Kovacs (Jackie Earle Haley)

At about 5-foot-5 with a receding hairline and an appearance that would have made him a good candidate to play Gollum in a Lord of the Rings knock-off, Jackie Earle Haley hardly seems like the kind of guy to strike fear into the hearts of a city. But in Watchmen, he pulls it off as Rorschach, the antihero with the enigmatic ink-blot mask. To Haley's credit, he's even more convincing without his false face, channeling a righteous yet sociopathic rage that makes him both the most compelling and the most repelling of the Watchmen. When thrown into prison with a bunch of menacing looking cons about three times his size, he sadistically remarks: "I'm not in here with you. You're in here with me."

5. John Rambo (Sylvester Stallone)

Forget Stallone's caricature of this broken yet unbowed Vietnam Vet in Rambos 2-16 (or wherever he finally left off), he got it right in the original film, which didn't even have the name "Rambo" in the title. No one wanted to cross paths with this military machine of a survivalist/hunter once he got on the wrong side of the law somewhere in the Pacific Northwest. Stallone's later films were parodies of the "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore" genre, but he virtually defined it with his first effort.

4. Beatrix Kiddo (Uma Thurman)

If it's a Quentin Tarantino film, there's gonna be blood, and Uma Thurman had plenty of it on her hands as "The Bride," a onetime assassin who seeks vengeance with a capital V on former colleagues who beat her pregnant body to a pulp at her own wedding. Revenge, indeed, is a dish best served cold. And in this role, Thurman was an ice queen.

3. Tom Stall (Viggo Mortensen)

Do not, I repeat do not get on the wrong side of this guy, who becomes a folk hero despite his protestations after killing a pair of thugs trying to rob his restaurant in A History of Violence. Seems Tom isn't quite who he says he is. In fact, he's a refugee from a place called Middle Earth whose funky, foreign-sounding name (Aragorn) gets him mistaken for an Islamic jihadist working undercover for Osama bin Laden. Wait, check that. Not exactly. But did you really think I was about to reveal the spoiler to this one? The movie is simply too full of pent-up aggression to miss.

2. Clint Eastwood

You pick the role. You pick the film. High Plains Drifter. Dirty Harry. It's all the same. Eastwood was the strong, silent and somewhat psycho long before he went legitimate and started his career as an Oscar-winning director. What's amazing about Eastwood is that, as iconic as he was in his steely rage-and-retribution roles, he's almost as well known these days for his nuance and subtlety behind the camera. Plus he once served as the mayor of Carmel, one of my all-time favorite cities. You can't top that. Well, you almost can't.

1. Ellen Ripley (Sigourney Weaver)

Who's tougher than Josey Wales and dirtier than Harry Callahan? You've gotta go pretty far to find her. Turns out, you have to go all the way into deep space, to a god-forsaken planetoid that's home to an unholy incubator of pure terror. Alien wasn't a horror film, per se, but it was scarier than almost anything in that often hokey and two-dimensional genre. Weaver's Ellen Ripley was three-dimensional and more. She kicked ass on the most fearsome incubus-turned-hellion ever conceived. Then she did it again in a sequel. And again after that. Everyone else on this list was tough, but none of the above ever faced a nemesis like this one. Ripley's the queen, hands down.

Honorable mentions ...

Jason Statham and Michelle Rodriguez in just about anything.
Mel Gibson in Braveheart, the Mad Max trilogy and the Lethal Weapon series. He's always seemed a little crazy, even in real life. Anyone who would paint his face and dress in a kilt has to be a little crazy. Wait, I've done that. Never mind.
Robin Williams. Yes, the guy who played Mork and Mrs. Doubtfire. He also played one of the most feared heroes of the 20th century. Popeye the Sailor. Now there was a tough guy. He made the color green tough long before the Hulk ever arrived on the scene (in the early comics, the Hulk was actually gray, anyway). Popeye will open up a can of whupass ... er ... spinach on you faster than you can say, "Shiver me timbers!"

Posted by Stephen H. Provost at 6:40 AM
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:03 pm

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/979750/the_james_clayton_column_inglourious_magneto_and_other_alternate_cuts.html

The James Clayton Column: ‘Inglourious Magneto’ and other alternate cuts

James Clayton

Inspired by Michael Fassbender’s performance in X-Men: First Class, James wonders what an entire film devoted to Magneto’s 60s exploits would have looked like...

Published on Jul 14, 2011

X-Men: First Class is, in my very humble opinion, first class. I loved Matthew Vaughn's Marvel mutant movie. In fact, I'd go so far as to state that it's one of my favourite cinematic comic book adaptations and easily the best X-Men motion picture yet.

Post-screening, I emerged from the cinema totally exhilarated and uplifted. I felt compelled to shout "mutant and proud!" at the midnight moon, pull off my shoes and use my feet to swing from lamp post to lamp post all the way across town.

Having removed my socks, I realised that I wasn't Hank "Beast" McCoy and that amateur streetlight acrobatics after dark was a dumb idea that would only lead to an intensive care unit. Never mind and no matter, because X-Men: First Class gave me a geek fix and overawed me as a movie that effectively captured the essential spirit of comics and blockbuster cinema.

It's a holistic package that deftly delivers both entertainment and depth, balancing fun, bold heroics and heart. Served by a sensitive script, Henry Jackman's driving score, strong acting performances and some great big grin special effects sequences, X-Men: First Class is, I'd say, the perfect franchise reboot.

There is one element in the mix that stands out, though, and ensures that the film is extra special and imbued with an aura of ultra cool. The best thing about X-Men: First Class? Magneto as portrayed by Michael Fassbender. The metal manipulator is the most appealing and interesting of mutants, for me, anyway, and picking Fassbender to play Erik Lehnsherr in the build up to his breakup with Charles Xavier is perfect casting.

(Kudos as well to James McAvoy for his brilliant performance as pre-paralysis, pre-chrome dome Professor X. I like McAvoy and love Xavier, but not as much as Magneto and Michael Fassbender. I'm siding with the steel bender. Magneto was right).

Let me break it down. I have a slight mancrush on the Irish-German star of Hunger, Centurion and Inglourious Basterds. I support Magneto and hail him as my favourite X-Men character. I enjoy old James Bond flicks and dig the retro stylings of the 1960s. All of these come together in beautiful harmony in the early parts of First Class, as we watch Erik Lehnsherr go about his own solo vendetta quest, crossing the globe and killing Nazis with delicious relish.

It turns out that revenge is sweeter when it's delivered by the debonair Fassbender in a multitude of languages. It's an absolute blast, for instance, watching Magneto conduct brutal telekinetic dental torture on a Nazi sympathiser Swiss banker.

If the entire movie had been composed of such sequences, I'd have been more than happy. Sure, we'd miss all the other ‘groovy' bits of the 60s-set reboot (the Cold War intrigue, Banshee's first flight, Charles Xavier as a sexy Oxford student, etc.), but if it meant I got two hours of unadulterated magnetic Fassbender-dealt retribution, I reckon it's a price worth paying. Having read reviews, discussed the film with others and studied the online reaction to online X-Men: First Class, I know I'm not alone here.

You wouldn't necessarily need to sack the whole film. Said exceptional scenes could be extracted and edited together as an alternative cut, perhaps embellished with extra material to make a feature-length motion picture.

Reflecting on other recent cinema releases, I realise that I feel the same way about certain elements of other movies. They stand out and deserve to stand alone on screen, liberated from the bigger picture and allowed to shine in their own feature. Here's my hit list, pitched out in hope that higher powers get on the case and exalt the extra special bits that have been buried in big movies.

X-Men: First Class spawns 'Inglourious Magneto'

Michael Fassbender's ‘roaring rampage of revenge' across a swingin' sixties Cold War backdrop sees young Magneto traversing the globe, hunting out horrible Nazis and nasty Sebastian Shaw (the wicked Kevin Bacon). It's like Kill Bill, except instead of yakuza goons, you've got mutants, and the antihero handles the Hanzo steel with mind powers.

Green Lantern spawns 'Battle With Parallax Beyond the Stars'

There's a lot going on in this enjoyable, fresh DC Comics adaptation, as it blends superhero colour with romance, comic relief, father issues and loud special effects-laden action. All of it, though, is blown off screen by the appearances of raging main antagonist, Parallax (pretty much a cosmic, tentacular cloud of pure fear). Simplified and transformed into a two hour space battle between struggling Green Lantern Corps and the soul sucking celestial immensity of the ‘yellow impurity', the film becomes a sci-fi masterpiece for the ages.

Sucker Punch spawns 'Babydoll vs. Mecha-Samurai'

The fantastical dream action sequences of Zack Snyder's most recent movie look and feel like the greatest videogames ever. The mental asylum/brothel scenes that form the film's backbone, however, are unsettling, and undermine the shock and awe of the wild action episodes. Stripping out the nonsensical sleaze to concentrate solely on the kick-ass action, audiences get to enjoy a feature-length battle between Emily Browning's Baby Doll and a trio of giant demonic Japanese robot warriors.

The Adjustment Bureau spawns 'There's Something About Elise'

Phildickean plots of hat-wearing agents who control fate and huge questions of destiny and freewill make for a compelling film, but the sparkling centre of The Adjustment Bureau is the chemistry between Matt Damon and Emily Blunt. A romantic movie based entirely around the random encounters and developing relationship of their characters (Congressman David Norris and dancer Elise) would be lovely.

Blitz spawns 'Barrymania'

Because you can see Jason Statham playing a Jason Statham character in other films, I say blitz Blitz until it's just a character study of bare-chested, day-glo specs-wearing bad guy, Barry Weiss. We get to follow Aidan Gillen's unhinged, eccentric oddball on his cop killing escapades, as he cycles around crime scenes and bounces about London with irrepressible maniac glee. Altogether, intriguing and way more interesting than another variation on Dirty Harry.

Submarine spawns 'Unlocking the Universe with the Mystic Ninja Next Door'

Perhaps the most surreal presence in Richard Ayoade's beautifully quirky film about adolescence in 80s Wales is Paddy Considine's new age ninja neighbour. The mullet is mesmerising, as is the spiritualised self-help spiel spouted by Graham Purvis (Considine). I'd love to see a full feature made out of the ninja's speeches on essential cosmic questions like "What is light?"

Magneto was right. We should exalt and celebrate the exceptional. Draw those elements out and let ‘em shine.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down