Top News
WE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT MICHAEL-AN AWARD WINNING ACTOR

Congratulations to the cast and crew of "12 Years a Slave" winning an Oscar for Best Picture

Michael is currently filming "MacBeth"

Watch "12 Years A Slave" and "Frank" in theaters

Watch "The Counselor" and "12 Years A Slave" on DVD available now

Michael is set to star and produce on a film version of the video game "Assassin's Creed"

Completed projects: X-Men, Untitled Malik project

Upcoming projects Assassin's Creed, Prometheus 2, MacBeth,and more!

Header credit here

MFmultiply's Disclaimer

Order region 1 dvds-Amazon store

Order region 2-UK dvds-Amazon Shoppe

Please check the calender for films on TV, Theater, or dvd releases
October 2019
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Jane Eyre reviews and spoilers 5

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Jane Eyre reviews and spoilers 5 - Page 5 Empty Re: Jane Eyre reviews and spoilers 5

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:18 pm

http://stingme.blogspot.com/2011/04/case-of-misters.html

Thursday, April 21, 2011
A Case of the "Misters"

I was putting together some ideas on my "Character Crushes" from TV and Movie land - when this last weekend - I got a case of the "Misters". Mr. Rochester, Mr. Thornton, Mr. Ferras, Mr. (Col) Brandon, Mr. Lafroy, , Mr. Bertram, Mr. Bingely, Mr. (Capt) Wentworth, Mr. Darcy and Mr. Knightley - that is.

Peep and I went to see the new Jane Eyre. I've seen several versions of Jane Eyre. And shhh - don't tell anyone - I've never read it. I enjoyed this version - but I am one to appreciate the modern day nuances of cinematography, film, color - and so, thusly - this one is my favorite. Mia Wasikowska (best known for taking a trip to Wonderland with Johnny Depp) was great as the supposedly "plain" (it always cracks me up when they try to mute the looks of the Hollywood starlets) and poor Jane. But, Michael Fassbender as Mr. Rochester - was, well divine. His voice was mesmerizing for me. I felt happy sinking deeply into another time and fully entrenching in Jane's world. I'm a girl. I like this stuff. Don't judge me. I heard several women at church on Sunday discussing this version of the story - picking it apart for its missed plot points and too-short length. Lovers of the book - all - they felt like it skipped through some of the crucial - Jane-Rochester relationship affirming interactions. Never read it. Didn't know. Thought many of the other movie versions of this story were too long. Loved this one. However, with how much I enjoyed disappearing into this movie created world of years ago - I imagine had I read it - I would have sunk as deeply into all the details that these women were bemoaning were missing. So, I get it. But, I still couldn't hate this telling of this strangely romantic tale. Mr. Rochester never sounded so good.

Mr. Rochester Jane Eyre 2011 - Michael Fassbenders voice is "like butta" to me. And Mr. Rochester is so complex, so many secrets, so dark, so needing to be saved by a woman - Michael Fassbender made me really believe he wanted to tell Jane, and made me overlook - the general ickiness in the crazy, dangerous wife in the house part of this story. In the end, though, he is found to be noble and good and only after he is wounded (read: redeemed) do we find him truly worthy of Jane.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Jane Eyre reviews and spoilers 5 - Page 5 Empty Re: Jane Eyre reviews and spoilers 5

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:20 pm

http://www.topmovieshome.com/top-moviejane-eyre-michael-fassbender-mia-wasikowska-judi-dench/

Top Movie”Jane Eyre” Michael Fassbender, Mia Wasikowska, Judi Dench

* Posted on April 22, 2011 at 7:07 am

Get your do it yourself all through the mood for the umpteenth remake of Charlotte Bronte’s dark, brooding adore story, “Jane Eyre.” and also this edition gets it right.Victorian England was no area for just about any defiant, powerful willed youthful female of modest signifies right up until Jane went to hold out for Mr. Rochester, the mysterious lord from the manner. after which check out the dramatic fireworks begin. Michael Fassbender and Mia Wasikowska produce smoldering chemistry together.The atmosphere’s as bleak and forbidding since the writer designed it to be.It’s a tale of interpersonal obstacles crumbling on the altar of passionate love.

The traditional tale of the determined woman’s altering area in stodgy online community plays quite properly for just about any modern audience. The photo benefits all through the exceptional Judi Dench. Nobody bolsters a time period product pretty the way in which she does. as well as the literary dialogue nonetheless qualities a charming ring to it.”Jane Eyre’s” a classy film for just about any classy audience. No create a difference how grubby Hollywood gets with its lowest standard denominator summer time blockbusters, films like “Jane Eyre” will invariably attract moviegoers who appreciate the exceptional that only a traditional can generate.And when Mr. Rochester provides Jane his hand, i experienced been thinking, on the very very least he’s anxious to marry her, in contrast to most modern day time adore stories. “Jane Eyre” is sometimes a timeless traditional and also this stirring producing hits home with three stars. consider my advice, create a day with “Jane Eyre.”
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:22 pm

http://susan-portuguesewaterblog.blogspot.com/2011/04/it-hits-mark.html

Thursday, April 21, 2011
It hits the mark
True to April 3 post, the new Jane Eyre movie was eagerly anticipated by our entire household, including the dogs.
And by "entire" I mean "most of the."
And by "most of the" I mean "me and maybe one other member of the."
And by "me and maybe one other member of the household" I mean "me."
Also, I have to admit, the dogs were fully unaware of anything other than scouting around for dirty socks and sunny napping spots.

So I dragged my daughter and some friends along to the movie last Friday, the first day it was showing in our area.
On the way, I gave a lecture about "The Bluebeard Myth" and what to look out for in this gothic romance story from the 19th century.
That's a beautiful way to entertain a captive audience.
And by "entertain" I mean "bore the pants off."

I'm happy to report, the movie did not disappoint.
Mia Wasikowska as Jane was perfect, perfect, perfect.
Michael Fassbender as Mr. Rochester was really fine, although, in my imagination, Mr. Rochester is physically larger and more imposing, not just grumpy and spoiled, but downright frightening to Jane when she first encounters him.
Anyhow, Michael Fassbender will do.
Cinematically, the movie was just lovely.
The mood of the original story was captured completely in all its somber, pensive, feel-sorry-for-me, beauty.
The moors, the wind in the heather, the whispering voices, the old castle, everything.

Just to reiterate from prior blog, it's not a Jane Austin story, all tea and fancy parlour game romances.
It's gothic romance, which is so much better!
We did have a man along on our movie trip, and, although I can't say exactly how he liked it, I will report he did not barf.
There are no laser-packing alien robots from Tatooine in the film, but men might enjoy it anyway.
If you're deciding whether or not the man in your life will sit through the film, consider it carefully.
There is actual dialogue in the film, so...
It really depends upon the man.

On the way home, I wanted to continue lecturing, but I didn't want my daughter to disown me legally.
I would have asked classroom-style questions, such as:
In what ways does Mr. Rochester's castle represent "The Patriarchy?"

(Feminist literary theorists love to talk about "The Patriarchy."
They love when "The Patriarchy" crumbles.
I'm with 'em!
Down with "The Patriarchy" and its oppression of women!
Damn patriarchy!
Unless "The Patriarchy" has a nice set of six-pack abs.
And then the feminists will like to marry "The Patriarchy" and bear his patriarchal children.)

Louie and Kelly stayed home.
They like "The Patriarchy" and anyone else who will scratch their chins...

Posted by Susan at 6:23 AM
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:25 pm

http://ncbookbunch.wordpress.com/2011/04/21/charlotte-brontes-birthday/

The newest version has Mia Wasikowska (Alice in Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland) – a prettier and bolder version of Jane, and Michael Fassbender as the brooding Rochester. Judi Dench plays Mrs. Faifax as a maternal housekeeper, who seems to be watching out for Jane’s virtue. With widescreen scenes of the moors, the story begins in the middle, with flashbacks to Jane’s childhood and life at Thornfield – an effective tool. It’s been a while since I’ve re-read the book, but this version seemed true – scenes when Jane Eyre becomes Jane Heir are included, and when she returns to Thornfield, her costume reflects her new wealth. Brontë’s ending is cut short by a final steamy Hollywood scene of lovers reunited, but, if you read the book, you know how it ends anyway.

If you are a fan of Brontë, you will not be disappointed.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:27 pm

http://golden0camellia.blogspot.com/2011/04/for-love-of-frock-coats-hot-pink.html

2011年4月20日 星期三
For The Love of Frock Coats | Hot Pink Headphones
Last night I went to the art cinema and watched the latest version of Jane Eyre to hit the big screen. I was rather looking forward to it, as I recall reading the book as a senior in high school and enjoying it well enough, and I remember loving whatever miniseries version it was that we watched in class. I even read Wide Sargasso Sea in college and didn't hate it! However, my expectations might have been a wee bit too high for a story as dark and depressing as Jane Eyre. I mean dark literally, as the film relied very heavily on flickering candlelight and faces lit only by fires in gloomy sitting rooms at night. Mia Wasikowska was likable enough, if a bit blander than the Jane from my memory, and I just didn't feel the love between her and Rochester. Speaking of which, I was looking forward to Michael Fassbender as Rochester, since he caught my eye in Hex and has been on my radar ever since, and overall he was good, but not enough to keep me from thinking about how long the movie was and how much my butt hurt toward the end.

I wondered what had changed in the fourteen years(!?!) since I last watched Charlotte Brontë's story come to life on film. Surely I'm not too jaded for period piece romances, because my heart still swoons during any given Jane Austen film. And who doesn't love a man in a frock coat? It makes everything more dashing and romantic. And yet… I don't know if I could handle a guy straight from the pages of a British romance novel riding up to me on his horse and trying to sweep me off my feet. I'd get caught up in the details, such as how are we both gonna fit on this poor horse, where does he think we'll go, how did he navigate the interstate on horseback, is that a costume or his daily clothing, and most of all who the hell is this guy and who does he think he is? So many of us want the storybook romance, but I that sort of thing just doesn't fit into our modern lives, as much as we imagine it could. I think it would take a bit of humor and a modern wink-and-nod to pull that sort of thing off. And so today's video is a marvelous little period piece montage I randomly found on YouTube dedicated to those dashing men in frock coats but set to Geri Halliwell's version of that disco classic "It's Raining Men." Unfortunately I can't post it directly on my page, but you can go watch it here, and I sincerely hope you do, especially if you've ever loved Mr. Darcy and still dream of being swept off of your feet. Share this:
发贴者 news 时间: 下午7:45
通过电子邮件发送 BlogThis! 共享给 Twitter 共享给 Facebook 共享给 Google Buzz
0 评论:
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:30 pm

http://ikkin-bot.blogspot.com/2011/04/jane-eyre.html

Wednesday, April 20, 2011
Jane Eyre!
Last night I saw the new Jane Eyre movie . . . and it was great. I think it might be my movie version for the story. It was actually a bit creepy, even though I knew what was going to happen. It just completely captured the creepy Gothic style of the book. That is a very good thing.

Mia Wasilowska was fabulous. The very best part of the movie. She did a great job of portraying pent up strength and power. While she isn't plain, her looks are odd enough to believe that at the time she wouldn't be considered a great beauty. She did a great job being a bit fey as well.

Jane

Michael Fassbender did a great job with the feel of Mr. Rochester, but he was a bit pretty for the part. Not quite the gruff version I had in my head from the book.

Rochester

Note: Jane Eyre is my all time favorite book. It is the only book I have read many many times. I highly recommend it. Its a classic, but it is really accessible. It is also a bit creepy and dark, which is funny. Jane Eyre is also my favorite heroine ever. I just love her quite strength. I read mostly genre fiction now, Sci-fi and fantasy, but his is still and will always be my favorite book.

Posted by Ikkin-bot at 6:27 PM
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:31 pm

http://theithacan.org/12770

Novel character keeps strong spirit
By: Kelsey Fowler—Accent Editor | April 20, 2011

Tossing aside the structure of Charlotte Brontë’s classic novel, the film “Jane Eyre” infuses a contemporary vibe into the ghostly tale.

The film unconventionally starts at the climax of the story and then moves backward to tell Jane Eyre’s (Mia Wasikowska) childhood and schooling in flashbacks. The majority of the film takes place at Thornfield Manor, where governess Jane meets her brooding employer and future lover Rochester (Michael Fassbender). With a plot loosely tied to a ghost haunting the halls and a rival mistress competing for Rochester’s affection, the film keeps the integrity and thrilling suspense of the novel.

Striking period costumes and language instantly establish a time and place, while the beautifully shot scenery and colorful cinematography contributes to the mood of every scene. Seeing the exact same moment again from the beginning, where it fits in after all of the other events have happened, adds much more emotionality and power.

Disappointingly, the movie lacks a formidable leading man. However, Wasikowska is perfect in her strength, defiance and elegance. She hits the mark on the pro-feminist themes of the 1847 book, and her resolve engages the audience.

“Jane Eyre” is a heartbreaking story with the makings of a classic, just like the novel.

“Jane Eyre” was written by Moira Buffini and directed by Cary Fukunaga. It was adapted from the novel by Charlotte Brontë.

3 out of 4 stars
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:32 pm

http://anothermovieblogger.blogspot.com/2011/04/jane-eyre-2011-film.html

Wednesday, April 20, 2011
Jane Eyre (2011 Film)

I need to catch up in my movies so I'll just copy my review from my book blog :]
With Mia Wasikowska, Michael Fassbender, Jamie Bell, Judi Dench, and Sally Hawkins

Jane Eyre, which came out March 11 as a limited release, is about a girl who has had a loveless past becomes a governess in Thornfield Hall and becomes in love with the owner of Thornfield, Mr. Rochester. However, Mr. Rochester has a secret that could indeed ruin the relationship that Jane does not know about.

So this Friday I got the pleasure of watching Jane Eyre and I definitely loved the movie just because it was Jane Eyre. Mia Wasikowska, Michael Fassbender, and Judi Dench were amazing and did such a great job with their character especially Mia Wasikowska which did such a fabulous job as Jane. However, I did have a lot of flaws about the movie. First of all, it was too choppy. They chopped off a lot of the details which may seem "unimportant" but really explained the relationships between the characters. They only covered the surface of the plot rather going in depth. I mean I understand that you have two hours or so to put the plot together but you have to make it work together and make it click which it didn't here. Specifically speaking, Jane Eyre and Mr. Rochester's relationship. I mean don't get me wrong, I love the relationship and the characters themselves and I think that Mia and Michael did fantastic portraying the emotion of the characters and frankly, I think that's what saved the film from being a disaster. The reason why I say this is because they had the passion in the eyes and you could tell that they were in love however there was no story or detail that shows that they were. They just magically sprung into love which is not good. However, it's a great movie...for the ones who have read the book. Don't see the movie if you haven't read the book because you'll be very confused. Read the book first, K? Good. Smile

So out of ten stars,
Posted by Sabrina at 2:42 PM
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:36 pm

http://goneelsewhere.wordpress.com/2011/04/17/review-jane-eyre/

Review: Jane Eyre

April 17, 2011 by Jackrabbit Slim

“All governesses have a tale of woe; what’s yours?” asks Edward Rochester of Jane Eyre, a governess working in his employ, in the latest adaptation of Charlotte Bronte’s 1847 novel. Jane replies that she has no tale of woe, but we know better–we have seen her horrid upbringing, first being raised by an aunt who views her as a servant, and then in one of those awful Dickensian schools where children are beaten and ostracized.
I have never read the novel (I think I tried once and didn’t get very far), but I have enough literacy to know the basic story, and the big surprise that comes toward the end, which I won’t reveal here (I have seen the film version of The Wide Sargasso Sea,which tells the story from another character’s viewpoint). This adaptation, directed by Cary Fukunaga and written by Moira Buffini, is very well executed, and a cut above of the usual “Masterpiece Theater”-type movie that is very common these days.

But, I couldn’t help but feel that something was missing. I very much enjoyed the first half, which lays out in flashback Jane’s story. We first see her stumbling about on the moors, depressed about something and ready to die. She’s taken in by a preacher (Jamie Bell) and his sisters, and periodically the action cuts back to her as a child. Then the major section of the film starts, when she works as a governess at Thornfield Hall, which is owned by the mysterious Mr. Rochester. She meets him in one of the most famous meeting scenes in literature, when she accidentally spooks his horse (the two have no idea who the other is). Rochester, played here by Michael Fassbender, is a Byronic figure who is both romantic and just a bit scary, but when he finds Jane to be a cultured, educated woman, he is enamored with her.
The romance between the two, which has complications, have made many swoon over the years, but it’s here that I think the film doesn’t quite work. Mia Wasikowska is Jane, and she’s perfect for the role–attractive yet somewhat plain, with a permanent look of determination (Rochester asks her if she ever laughs). And Fassbender is quite good as the brooding Mr. Rochester. As I watched the film I forgot who was playing him, and was stunned to see Fassbender’s name in the credits. I’ve seen him now three times in recent weeks, in the films Fish Tank, Inglourious Basterds(a second viewing on DVD), and this one, and I have a hard time reconciling that it could possibly be the same actor.

But I just didn’t buy the romance. The two didn’t have any chemistry. They seemed to fall in love only because the script said they had to. I could see why he like Jane–he was tired of women who were vain and scatterbrained, but as to why Jane like him, well, aside from his smoldering good looks, I couldn’t figure it out (and she does tell him that she doesn’t think he’s handsome).
Otherwise the film is lovely to behold. The photography by Adriano Goldman, using a great deal of natural light, is first-rate. Fukunaga’s direction emphasizes the Gothic elements of Bronte’s novel, especially those scenes in which Thornfield Hall seems to be haunted by some kind of spirit, and the motif of fire, which will play a great part in the story, is used to great effect.

After reading a plot summary of the novel, it would appear to be quite faithful to the book, although certainly some things have been left out. Many have commented that it is one of the best of the umpteen adaptations, but, having seen only this one, I have nothing to compare it to. I do recommend it, though, especially for fans of Victorian literature.
My grade for Jane Eyre: B+
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:10 pm

http://blogcritics.org/video/article/movie-review-jane-eyre-2011/

Movie Review: Jane Eyre (2011)
Author: Susan Portelance — Published: Apr 19, 2011 at 11:09 am

Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte’s classic novel from 1847, got another film update in 2011. The Internet Movie Database (IMDb), lists 22 incarnations already produced for TV and film. With so many versions already available, do we really need another?

A classic can always use a fresh perspective and new readers may be introduced to the book after viewing the film. Director Cary Fukunaga does justice to the lush, gothic scenery of the book. His version of Thornfield Hall is as imposing as the descriptions in the novel.

Mia Wasikowska makes a marvelous Jane. The indomitable spirit of the plot’s heroine shines through her performance. Wasikowska’s Jane is headstrong, forthright and resolute in her convictions. She is well matched by Michael Fassbender as the brooding Edward Fairfax Rochester. He cuts a dashing figure and his chemistry with Jane is palpable. Judi Dench is delightful as Rochester’s maid, Mrs. Fairfax.

The concern with this version is the same for most book-to-film adaptations. A two-hour movie never has enough time to cover all of the novel’s characters and plot points. The early years of Jane’s life, which span almost 100 pages of the novel, are covered at breakneck speed in the film. While her time at Thornfield Hall rightfully fills most of the film, giving short shrift to her early life doesn’t allow the viewer time to fully appreciate the hardships Jane experienced, or the depths of her early relationship with Helen Burns.

The time Jane spends with the Rivers Family after her flight from Thornfield Hall is likewise glossed over. The film also misses the wonderful denouement of the book. The ending of the movie feels quite abrupt to anyone who has read the novel.

Although the time constraints cause parts of the film to feel rushed, it is still an excellent adaptation worthy of the name Jane Eyre. Fans of the novel will enjoy the chance to once again see Jane, Rochester and Thornfield Hall on the big screen.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:12 pm

http://www.foreveryoungadult.com/2011/04/19/i-am-no-bird-and-no-rock-star-ensnares-me/

I am no bird, and no rock star ensnares me…

by Jenny on April 19, 2011

BOOK REPORT for Jane a modern retelling of Jane Eyre by April Lindner

Cover Story: Brown Bag It
BFF Charm: Yay!
Swoonworthy Scale: 8
Talky Talk: Straight Up
Bonus Factors: Modern Retelling, Jane
Relationship Status: I’ll nurse this book back to health after its tragedy.

My review copy of this book was fantastic -just a solid palest of blues with ‘Jane’ written on it in bright pink. I prefer that. Publishers, simpler is better, when will you get that into your crazy-ass heads? The cover they picked is a little bit too emo-y, and my first thought was “Why is Bianca Ingram on the cover of Jane?”

The Deal:

In this modern recount of Jane Eyre, Jane Moore has to drop out of Sarah Lawrence after her parents are killed in an accident and she is unable to pay tuition. Her horrible brother and sister could never be bothered with her when their folks were alive, much less now, so Jane becomes a nanny… to the child of a slightly has-been rock star, Nico Rathburn (who just happens to be about to have a huge comeback, of course!).

If my friendship could provide Jane with that extra glow that love brought her, then she would be rosy and glowing throughout the book. I love how honest, straightforward and completely guileless Jane is. Her early exchanges with Rathburn felt so awkwardly familiar to me that they were almost painful. But the thing I love most about Jane is that even though she believes herself to be nothing special, she doesn’t whine about it. She truly believes that Rathburn couldn’t be attracted to her, and yet… and it’s that and yet that I love. Is Jane baffled by his attentions? Yes. Does she think she is alone in her developing feelings for him? Yes. But does she hope? Yes she does. She doesn’t sit around saying ‘if only I was prettier or more spectacular…’, she just continues to live her life, and when love does announce itself to her, she grabs hold of it readily, and without trepidation. At least, not much.

You guys! There’s sex in this book! I mean, Rochester Rathburn IS a rock star, so OF COURSE there’s sex in it, but STILL! I’m just sayin’ you might want to have burn cream handy when you read this, ’cause business gets HOT!!! Are some aspects of the romantic pacing not quite believable in the translation from Bronte’s work to this retelling? Sure. That’s why the swoonworthy scale is an 8 and not a 9 or 10. But is it still super intense and passionate and OMG go back to the sex!!!!!

Okay. I have a confession to make. I’ve never read Jane Eyre. I KNOW! But I have a good excuse! When I was 12-14, and reading the works of the Brontes and Austen, my mother forbade me to read it! She took issue with the whole ‘wife’ thing (I don’t want to spoil it for others like me, but YOU know what I mean.) AND she told me it was boring. So when I snuck and read the first few pages, so overcome with guilt for going behind my mom’s back, it was easy for little Jenny to convince herself that it was, indeed, dull.
Second confession? So I’ve also never seen any of the movie adaptations. UNTIL NOW. (But more on that later.)

Anyway, I recently did see an adaptation, and LOVED the story, and then got home and saw this book on my ‘to be read’ pile, and now OMG I LOVE JANE EYRE SO MUCH!!!! Lindner’s adaptation manages to capture the feelings, the tone, the intensity of the original story, and successfully (at least mostly) place it in modern times, with a modern setting. Turning Rochester into a brilliant, cynical, ex-addict rock star with a temper? Genius. She somehow kept Jane’s formalities and personality without making her seem out-dated in this new setting. How did you do that, April Lindner? Jane felt real to me, and I think that is a feat when you tackle retelling a classic.

I think this book is the perfect tool to interest YAs, or adults like me, who, for whatever bizarre reason, never read the original. I’m curious how long-time Jane Eyre lovers view this, though. Do you, like me, think the adaptation brings the heart of the original with it?

Bonus Factor: Modern Retelling

I should really clarify: Modern Retelling that doesn’t suck. Much like this new movie, which you should all go see, Jane WORKS. And there aren’t too many song lyrics to skip over.

Bonus Factor: Jane

Have I made it abundantly clear that I LOVE Jane? I feel about her in my 30′s how I felt about Anne Shirley in my tweens.

Casting Call:

Okay, since I just saw this movie, I must confess I had a preconceived notion of what Jane and Rochester/Rathburn might look like:

Michael Fassbender as Nico Rathburn

Seriously, ever since I saw him utter the words “Well, if this is it, old boy, I hope you don’t mind if I go out speaking the King’s” I have been completely in crushland with Mr. Fassbender. And his portrayal of Rochester in the movie version? Yes please.

However, there were a couple of descriptions of Rathburn in this book, that caused another face to pop into my head. Sadly.

…he’d sounded educated, not like I’d imagined Nico Rathburn would sound. But now that he’d taken off that stockbroker’s jacket, I could see the familiar serpent tattoo on his left forearm. He wore a silver hoop in each ear — how had I missed that? –and what looked like a shark’s tooth hung from a leather cord around his neck…

If there is any image that is less swoonworthy than silver hoops and sharks tooth necklaces on leather cords, I don’t know it. However, if I just pretended I didn’t read that bit, I didn’t see this in my head:

A WORLD of no.

(I don’t meant to insult any Tommy Lee fans. I just… no.)

So then I found myself trying to find someone else who could pull of Rathburn, and my mind went instantly here:

Lawyer Dave of The Brokeoffs as Nico Rathburn

Amen and amen.

Of course, Jane was easier. I’ve been a fan of Ms. Wasikowska since I saw her first ‘In Treatment’ episode, and ladies and Brian, she does not disappoint.

Best. Jane. Ever.

Relationship Status: I’ll nurse this book back to health after its tragedy

This book and I fell in love almost at first sight. It was a bit weird, see, because I had previously fallen in love with this book’s, er, cousin, but whatever! The alcohol was flowing –as was the conversation– and before I knew it we were professing eternal love for each other. I ignored some warning signs, like you do, and so this book and I were not prepared for the challenges our relationship encountered. But now I’ve found out that we fare far worse apart than we do together, so no matter what’s happened to this book, I’m going back to it. To stay.

FTC Full Disclosure: I received my review copy from Little Brown and Company. I received neither money nor cocktails for writing this review (dammit!). Jane is available now.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:26 pm

http://www.foreveryoungadult.com/2011/04/19/i-am-no-bird-and-no-rock-star-ensnares-me/

I am no bird, and no rock star ensnares me…

by Jenny on April 19, 2011

BOOK REPORT for Jane a modern retelling of Jane Eyre by April Lindner

Bonus Factors: Modern Retelling, Jane
Relationship Status: I’ll nurse this book back to health after its tragedy.

My review copy of this book was fantastic -just a solid palest of blues with ‘Jane’ written on it in bright pink. I prefer that. Publishers, simpler is better, when will you get that into your crazy-ass heads? The cover they picked is a little bit too emo-y, and my first thought was “Why is Bianca Ingram on the cover of Jane?”

The Deal:

In this modern recount of Jane Eyre, Jane Moore has to drop out of Sarah Lawrence after her parents are killed in an accident and she is unable to pay tuition. Her horrible brother and sister could never be bothered with her when their folks were alive, much less now, so Jane becomes a nanny… to the child of a slightly has-been rock star, Nico Rathburn (who just happens to be about to have a huge comeback, of course!).

If my friendship could provide Jane with that extra glow that love brought her, then she would be rosy and glowing throughout the book. I love how honest, straightforward and completely guileless Jane is. Her early exchanges with Rathburn felt so awkwardly familiar to me that they were almost painful. But the thing I love most about Jane is that even though she believes herself to be nothing special, she doesn’t whine about it. She truly believes that Rathburn couldn’t be attracted to her, and yet… and it’s that and yet that I love. Is Jane baffled by his attentions? Yes. Does she think she is alone in her developing feelings for him? Yes. But does she hope? Yes she does. She doesn’t sit around saying ‘if only I was prettier or more spectacular…’, she just continues to live her life, and when love does announce itself to her, she grabs hold of it readily, and without trepidation. At least, not much.

You guys! There’s sex in this book! I mean, Rochester Rathburn IS a rock star, so OF COURSE there’s sex in it, but STILL! I’m just sayin’ you might want to have burn cream handy when you read this, ’cause business gets HOT!!! Are some aspects of the romantic pacing not quite believable in the translation from Bronte’s work to this retelling? Sure. That’s why the swoonworthy scale is an 8 and not a 9 or 10. But is it still super intense and passionate and OMG go back to the sex!!!!!

Okay. I have a confession to make. I’ve never read Jane Eyre. I KNOW! But I have a good excuse! When I was 12-14, and reading the works of the Brontes and Austen, my mother forbade me to read it! She took issue with the whole ‘wife’ thing (I don’t want to spoil it for others like me, but YOU know what I mean.) AND she told me it was boring. So when I snuck and read the first few pages, so overcome with guilt for going behind my mom’s back, it was easy for little Jenny to convince herself that it was, indeed, dull.
Second confession? So I’ve also never seen any of the movie adaptations. UNTIL NOW. (But more on that later.)

Anyway, I recently did see an adaptation, and LOVED the story, and then got home and saw this book on my ‘to be read’ pile, and now OMG I LOVE JANE EYRE SO MUCH!!!! Lindner’s adaptation manages to capture the feelings, the tone, the intensity of the original story, and successfully (at least mostly) place it in modern times, with a modern setting. Turning Rochester into a brilliant, cynical, ex-addict rock star with a temper? Genius. She somehow kept Jane’s formalities and personality without making her seem out-dated in this new setting. How did you do that, April Lindner? Jane felt real to me, and I think that is a feat when you tackle retelling a classic.

I think this book is the perfect tool to interest YAs, or adults like me, who, for whatever bizarre reason, never read the original. I’m curious how long-time Jane Eyre lovers view this, though. Do you, like me, think the adaptation brings the heart of the original with it?

Bonus Factor: Modern Retelling

I should really clarify: Modern Retelling that doesn’t suck. Much like this new movie, which you should all go see, Jane WORKS. And there aren’t too many song lyrics to skip over.

Bonus Factor: Jane

Have I made it abundantly clear that I LOVE Jane? I feel about her in my 30′s how I felt about Anne Shirley in my tweens.

Casting Call:

Okay, since I just saw this movie, I must confess I had a preconceived notion of what Jane and Rochester/Rathburn might look like:

Michael Fassbender as Nico Rathburn

Seriously, ever since I saw him utter the words “Well, if this is it, old boy, I hope you don’t mind if I go out speaking the King’s” I have been completely in crushland with Mr. Fassbender. And his portrayal of Rochester in the movie version? Yes please.

However, there were a couple of descriptions of Rathburn in this book, that caused another face to pop into my head. Sadly.

…he’d sounded educated, not like I’d imagined Nico Rathburn would sound. But now that he’d taken off that stockbroker’s jacket, I could see the familiar serpent tattoo on his left forearm. He wore a silver hoop in each ear — how had I missed that? –and what looked like a shark’s tooth hung from a leather cord around his neck…

If there is any image that is less swoonworthy than silver hoops and sharks tooth necklaces on leather cords, I don’t know it. However, if I just pretended I didn’t read that bit, I didn’t see this in my head:

A WORLD of no.

(I don’t meant to insult any Tommy Lee fans. I just… no.)

So then I found myself trying to find someone else who could pull of Rathburn, and my mind went instantly here:

Lawyer Dave of The Brokeoffs as Nico Rathburn

Amen and amen.

Of course, Jane was easier. I’ve been a fan of Ms. Wasikowska since I saw her first ‘In Treatment’ episode, and ladies and Brian, she does not disappoint.

Best. Jane. Ever.

Relationship Status: I’ll nurse this book back to health after its tragedy

This book and I fell in love almost at first sight. It was a bit weird, see, because I had previously fallen in love with this book’s, er, cousin, but whatever! The alcohol was flowing –as was the conversation– and before I knew it we were professing eternal love for each other. I ignored some warning signs, like you do, and so this book and I were not prepared for the challenges our relationship encountered. But now I’ve found out that we fare far worse apart than we do together, so no matter what’s happened to this book, I’m going back to it. To stay.

FTC Full Disclosure: I received my review copy from Little Brown and Company. I received neither money nor cocktails for writing this review (dammit!). Jane is available now.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:27 pm

http://thewakingezine.wordpress.com/2011/04/18/movie-review-for-jane-eyre/

Movie review for “Jane Eyre”
Posted on April 18, 2011 by Amanda Oliver

Starring: Mia Wasikowska, Michael Fassbender, Jamie Bell.
Directed by: Cary Fukunaga
Rated: PG-13

When you read a book, you use your imagination to create in your mind what you are seeing on the page. When you watch a movie, you are fed the visuals that the filmmaker wants you to see. As I approached the latest version of my favorite novel “Jane Eyre,” I encountered this dynamic. While the movie was visually nice and the interpretation was new and different, I already had cemented in my mind what I believed the story and characters ought to be. Bias aside, I think “Jane Eyre” should fascinate newcomers and please loyal fans.

The story of Jane Eyre is lengthy and full of emotion and challenges. In brief, Jane is an orphan who lives with her negligent and unloving aunt, Mrs. Reed, and her tormenting cousins. Receiving nothing but misery from her caregiver, she is sent to Lowood Institute, an all-girls school ruled over by a pious and strict headmaster and his cold and submissive staff of teachers. Jane encounters hardships there, as well, and at age 18 decides to advance her life and improve her situation. She advertises as a governess and is hired to take care of a little girl at the mysterious Thornfield Hall. The grand hall is owned by Mr. Rochester; when Jane first encounters him, she is taken aback by his harshness and callousness. But, as time wears on, Jane and Mr. Rochester begin to develop feelings for each other. As their relationship slowly and tumultuously progresses, strange happenings occur at Thornfield. On the cusp of the only happiness Jane has ever known, dark secrets surface and she and Mr. Rochester are affected in the deepest of ways.

Having seen a few adaptations of this classic novel before, I can say that this particular version is closest in imagery, atmosphere, and accuracy to the book. The cinematography captures the bleakness of the English countryside and the loneliness of Thornfield Hall. The directing and storyline was fresh and interesting. Mia Wasikowska’s portrayal of Jane was acceptable, but some of Jane’s characteristics weren’t brought to full-light. The same could be said of Michael Fassbender’s Mr. Rochester. He lacked the moodiness and meanness; instead, he embodied a more likeable and composed Rochester. I did appreciate the lengthy depiction of the happy times of Jane and Rochester’s romance, instead of the dark moments only. I also liked the fact that the frequently overlooked St. John, played by Jamie Bell, received a decent amount of face-time.

The story of “Jane Eyre” is about the noblest of things: loyalty, friendship, commitment, love, and forgiveness. While some of the characters can be frustrating and their decisions confusing, the moral message of the film will leave the viewer with a sense of pride and accomplishment. Doing the right thing is always the best of choices, even if it is so very hard to choose.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:32 pm

http://www.dailytitan.com/2011/04/17/review-jane-eyre/

zed in | A&E, Detour, Film & TV
Review: Jane Eyre
By Flor Edwards
Published: April 17, 2011

A classic tale is reborn in the film adaptation of Jane Eyre. Starring a mature Mia Wasikowska (from Alice in Wonderland), the two-hour film does not disappoint as it unravels a plot of desire, betrayal and redemption.

It’s hard to go wrong with a time piece such as Jane Eyre, since the plot is already developed in the mid-19th century novel by Charlotte Bronte. The language is rich. The characters are compelling. And the story is watchable, even for someone who has never read the book. In fact, this movie makes the viewer want to go home and bury their nose in the book.

The portrayal of a young, ambitious, individualistic and passionate woman may have been controversial in the 19th century, but the implications are equally riveting today as Jane, a governess at Thornfield Hall, evolves from a poor orphan, abused at Lowood School, into a mature and confident woman seeking the commitment of her employer Edward Rochester.

The Gothic romance set in mid-century England is a tale of innocence attracted to darkness in the form of Rochester, played by attractive but depressed Michael Fassbender, who longs for Jane’s affection. Rochester is somewhat of a dark hero in the film and the father of Adelle, whom Jane is hired to tutor.

Jane Eyre is an example of how to take a classic book and turn it into an equally memorable film. Jane is “small and plain” and “poor and obscure,” but she embodies the brave, humble, spirited and honest character that readers (and viewers) can so easily fall in love with.

Directed by Cary Joji Fukunaga, the cinematography is dark and shadowy, lending to the film an air of mysteriousness and intrigue that is the story of Jane Eyre.

The film opens with Jane Eyre literally running from her past, surrounded by dark rain clouds, muddy terrain and haunting voices that are demonic and ghostly. Her life at Lowood School unfolds in timely flashbacks that, for the sake of time, compresses chapters into moments in a book-turned-film fashion.

Wasikowska was the perfect actor for the role of Jane, with her plain innocence and sensual mysteriousness. Dame Judi Dench plays Rochester’s talkative housekeeper who becomes somewhat of a mentor to Jane throughout the film. Rochester is cynical and wild, and his desire for Jane leaves the audience wanting them to explore their passions.

However, the scenes do not spiral into overtly sexual displays of nudity as most films that lack substance must resort to these days. Instead, the tension through Jane and Rochester develops through a mature and sophisticated dialogue of wise musings and passionate conversations over flickering candlelight.

It’s easy to go wrong when adapting a classic book into a two-hour film for the big screen, but Jane Eyre is proof it is possible as long as the director stays true to the crucial elements of good storytelling, compelling characters, rich dialogue and balanced tension.

For anyone interested in Victorian-style classic time pieces, Jane Eyre is a delight to view on the big screen and a must see.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:33 pm

http://nocertainanswers.blogspot.com/2011/04/jane-eyre.html

April 15, 2011
Jane Eyre
Based on the novel of the same name by Charlotte Bronte

Directed by:
Cary Fukunaga
Written by:
Moira Buffini
Starring:
Mia Wasikowsa, Michael Fassbender, Judi Dench, Jamie Bell, Sally Hawkins, Imogen Poots
Release Date:
March 17, 2011
MPAA Rating:
PG-13

My first experience with the work of Charlotte Bronte was with a stage adaptation of Jane Eyre, put on by some of my church friends. I helped them with some make up work, and as such I was unable to actually watch the play, being behind stage the whole time. I never read the book, or saw any of the previous film adaptations, so I as very curious as to what Jane Eyre was actually about.

Mia Wasikowska of last year's Alice in Wonderland stars in the titular role of Jane Eyre, an orphan raised by her cruel and cold-hearted Aunt Sarah (Sally Hawkins, Happy-Go-Lucky), until she is eventually sent to an all-girls school where she is just as mistreated as she was with her aunt. Jane eventually leaves the school, and becomes a governess at Thornfield Hall, where she works for Alice Fairfax (Judi Dench, Shakespeare in Love), keeper of the hall who herself works for Edward Fairfax Rochester (Michael Fassbender, Inglourious Basterds), master of Thornfield Manor. Upon their first meeting, Jane and Rochester don't click as well as Jane might like, but over time the pair begin to fall for one another and Jane discovers a dark secret of Rochester's that puts their love to the test.

I was very excited to hear about this new adaptation of Bronte's novel, and saw it the very first day it was available in Rochester. This is not the kind of movie I would show to a lot of my friends, as it is basically a run of the mill costume-drama, but I have to say it is a very, very good one. Obviously the film is impeccably scripted, I don't need to go on about the beauty of a story that has been so dramatically revered for over 160 years. The costumes and sets are gorgeous of course, and the entire cast does wonderfully as always (particularly Fassbender), but what I really enjoyed in this movie was how modern a lot of the filming techniques felt. With period pieces like The Duchess and The Young Victoria, a desire to make the film feel old fashioned denotes a tendency to style the film in an old fashioned way. This is a tradition that Jane Eyre daringly ignores, and pulls off in an Orson Welles-esque kind of way.

By rights the film is a lot darker than it probably should be, and takes the original narrative to Bronte's work and cuts it up in a more stylized way, but I thoroughly enjoyed this added little tidbit. It serves as an effective way of reminding audiences of the importance of differentiating between beloved books and their movie adaptations.

Posted by Salvatore A. Alonci at 1:21 PM
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:35 pm

http://gatewaycinephiles.com/2011/04/15/jane-eyre/

Jane Eyre
April 15, 2011 6:31 pm Andrew Film Diaries - Andrew, Film Diaries - Libby, Dramas

2011 (UK)
Director: Cary Fukunaga
Viewed: April 14, 2011
Format: Theatrical Print (Landmark Tivoli Theater)

From a capsule summary of Cary Fukunaga’s 2009 feature film debut, Sin Nombre, one might conclude that it is a gritty, realistic portrait of the horrors of illegal immigration and Mexican gang culture. Not so. Whatever its faults, the film’s most enthralling characteristic is its stylized sensationalism. Fukunaga renders the northward flight of a fraught Hondouran girl and a hard-bitten Mexican fugitive as a mythic Hero’s Journey out of Hell. The director’s use of resonant visuals and his conspicuous care for details (both naturalistic and heightened) signals that he favors an evocative story over real-world Serious Issues. Thus, a Chiapas rail yard becomes a terrifying and sulfurous Purgatory, while MS-13 thugs convening in a graveyard take on the aspect of reveling demons.

In this light, word that the director would be helming, of all things, the latest adaptation of Charlotte Brontë’s seminal novel Jane Eyre elicited first confusion, then profound curiosity. True to form, Fukunaga stresses the gothic elements of the source material, tweaking Brontë’s tale into something approaching a moody ghost story (in spirit if not in substance), complete with twisted woodlands and phantom whispers. The film veritably drips with Northern damp, thanks in large part to the striking design overseen by Will-Hughes Jones and the peerless location selection. The film is an excellent illustration of genuine atmospherics, as opposed to mere lavish window dressing, particularly now that every limp period film seems to boast the latter.

The novel describes Jane as studiously plain and Rochester as a homely lout, whereas Fukunaga’s film offers the angelic Mia Wasikowska and the unfailingly absorbing Michael Fassbender. No matter. Nearly every character in the film is an effortlessly and richly realized figure, wholly apposite to Brontë’s shadowy yarn of personal honor and ghastly secrets. Yet none of the performances are what one could justly call dazzling, or even particularly actorly. Even Fassbender, whose early scenes as the snappish Rochester are admittedly a bit of a jolt, seems to shrink a bit in the chill winds of the Derbyshire hill country. This ultimately works in Jane Eyre’s favor, as it permits Fukunaga’s direction to take center stage, along with the cinematography of Adriano Goldman, whose lensing of Sin Nombre was nowhere near as lovely.

Fukunaga uses his setting to fine thematic effect, conjuring from moor and manor a wracked aura of alternating exposure and suffocation, which harmonizes elegantly with Jane’s entrapment between comfort and self-respect, yearning and dread. Often, the film’s style wanders into distinctly impressionistic terrain, employing dreamy close-ups and drifting focus in a manner that recalls Jane Campion’s cinematic odes. Indeed, Dario Marianelli’s score of quiet, mournful strings draws unmistakably from Michael Nyman’s prominent work in The Piano, but also from George Fenton’s underrated score for the Jekyll-and-Hyde flop Mary Reilly.

That Fukunaga manages to establish such a potent mood without losing sight of the humane coming-of-age pathos at the story’s core, or skimping on the dense thematic treatment of gender, class, and morality, is quite an achievement. Moira Buffini’s screen adaptation is generally faithful, although unlike the novel’s linear narrative, it makes ample use of flashback. Pointedly, she allows most of the novel’s moments of moralistic vindication to wither away, leaving a more desolate (and credible) “Tale of Woe,” as Rochester would say. Of course, running through the whole thing is the dodge-parry-thrust of Brontë’s dialog, which unsurprisingly attains full flower in any scene shared by Wasikowska and Fassbender. It’s delicious stuff, but in a work that is otherwise so overtly cinematic, the dialog seems more a remnant of the story’s literary genome than a natural outgrowth of the film’s style.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:40 pm

http://trail.pugetsound.edu/2011/04/one-jane-that-is-anything-but-plain/

One “Jane” that is anything but plain
Arts & Entertainment — By Lindsey Flatt on April 15, 2011 6:00 AM

Among the plethora of film adaptations based on Victorian novels, two stories have been particularly favored. Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre – both of which have, in many ways, been worked to death. Yet there is a reason that directors keep returning to these stories, for if mined properly, they can prove to be a source of emotional gold. Director Cary Fukunaga (whose adeptness at revealing raw emotion has been previously proven with her film Sin Nombre) handles this latest adaptation of Jane Eyre with a subtlety that makes the re-visitation worthwhile.

Jane Erye (Mia Waskikowska), an orphan shunted into a brutal reform school and raised without affection, has every right to be skeptical of the confessions of love made to her by the landed and wealthy Rochester (Michael Fassbender), by whom she finds herself employed as a governess. Waskikowska’s Jane manages to capture this wounded sense of suspicion: she is fully fleshed, psychologically complex, and equal parts exasperating and endearing – as she is in the book.

This latest portrayal of Jane draws us in with her strength and bluntness, and wins us over with her timidity and fragility. The only complaint that might be leveled against Wasikowska is that she is by no means plain – her transparent complexion and emotive eyes are, indeed, quite transfixing. Fassbender, while slightly less engaging than Waskikowska (and far more handsome than the character Rochester has the right to be), is nonetheless believable as the moody yet tender Rochester; the chemistry between them is real enough to distract from any shortcomings.

A rich sensuality pervades every frame- palpable enough that every gust of wind, every brush of starchy fabric can almost be felt. There is a great attention to detail here, both in the way the shots are conveyed and in what they contain. It is obvious that painstaking care has been taken to remain accurate in respect to costuming, scenery and props, a level of care which manages to capture for us an era of both great beauty and great discomfort.

There are many of the same cinematic sweeps of landscape that characterized Joe Wright’s 2005 version of Pride & Prejudice, a comparison further warranted by the fact that Jane Eyre is similarly (and just as beautifully) scored by Dario Marianelli. There is, however, something deliciously darker about Jane Eyre – and while it may not live up entirely to its gothic elements, it is sufficiently eerie.

There is also something tender and wide-eyed about this film that makes its timeless romanticism seem surprisingly fresh and relevant for its translation into an era in which caution and repression have been thrown to the winds. While the repression that defines Jane and Rochester’s relationship may be somewhat unbearable to modern audiences, the slow smoldering chemistry captured in this film may serve to remind us of the benefits of holding out for the real thing.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:41 pm

http://kateparadis.blogspot.com/2011/04/jane-eyre-observed.html

Friday, April 15, 2011
Jane Eyre {Observed}

Jane Eyre is one of my favorite books. The story is dark, intense and romantically tragic. I've seen a few of the movies and haven't really loved any of them. I never felt like the portrayal of Jane and Rochester captured the emotion that I felt when reading the story.

This latest version with Mia Wasikowska & Michael Fassbender however was different. I've read reviews criticizing the way they laid out the time line of the story - flashing forward and backward throughout. But I don't care about that - all I care about is the fact that the characters were captured. Mia played the Jane I've always imagined in my head.

Michael looked and behaved like Rochester.

And who knew Jamie Bell could do so well in a period film? I guess that's how you roll when you're British. Either way, Craig and I were definitely impressed.

I might be biased because I love the story and so usually enjoy watching adaptations of it. But I truly did enjoy this film..and one more thing - the musical score? Violin magic compliments of composer Dario Marianelli. Same fella who did the score for the 2005 Pride & Prejudice. Hence why it's lovely.

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:45 pm

http://thumbsupordown.blogspot.com/2011/04/jane-eyre.html

Friday, April 22, 2011
Jane Eyre

Do we really need another movie adaptation of Charlotte Bronte's book, Jane Eyre? Apparently we do.

You probably know the story: A quiet and young governess, who has spent most of her life in a torturous institution for wayward children, becomes the governess to a man who's hiding a terrible secret.

Only in this version, as in no other, the words -- the dialogue, really -- takes flight. Other adaptations have sought to insert action here and there, because, let's face it: Jane Eyre is rather static and wordy. But, also let's face it: that's a good thing.

So there's no extra action inserted. And the wardrobe is very period. Jane's outfit, in particular, is rather drab. When you picture a girl walking out of the orphanage with one or two dresses at most and no income, wouldn't that be the case?

And that's as it should be. The magnificent countryside, and those stately mansions, all decorated in such detail, are eye candy.

The acting is wonderful. You may remember Johnny Depp's recent Alice in Wonderland. His Alice was played by Mia Wasikowska, and she's our Jane here. Not too old, not too brazen. Just right.

Michael Fassbender, as Rochester, is also spot on -- he's not introduced until about halfway through the movie. The build-up teaches you to expect an older, brooding man, and he's all that, but he's also a sensitive man with a hollow soul, looking for some intelligence in the world, and maybe even a kindred spirit.

Jane Eyre is a wonderful tutor as to how children were treated back then, and how few resources women by themselves had. You feel her reticence to trust anybody, because she really can't.

Thumb's up.

posted by Linda @ 5:10 PM
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:36 am

http://kaileykailey.ca/archives/698

The Elusive Jane Eyre

I have seen, I think, nearly every adaptation of Charlotte Bronte’s Jane Eyre ever made, and I haven’t yet been satisfied with a single one of them.

That is why I was very excited about the new adaptation by BBC films with Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender, because the trailer seemed to promise me the adaptation I was waiting for. I was very excited and gave a yelp of joy every time I saw it, to the irritation of my friends.

How did it stack up? Well, I am back to despairing that I will ever see a truly perfect adaptation of Jane Eyre. It was, by far, the closest to perfect I have yet seen – in fact, if it were a mini-series rather than a feature length film it could have very well taken top prize. The acting, sets, costumes, atmosphere, and Judi Dench were all fantastic. But it was just too short, and as a consequence it was rushed; we were told what we were supposed to be taking away from the story rather than shown because there simply wasn’t enough time. It also did something I’m not sure I’ve seen anyone yet do with an adaptation of Jane Eyre, which is start in the middle and work forward to the present before going on to the future. It was interesting, but I think in this case it was more a necessity of the particular time constraints of the feature film format than a thought-out narrative choice and they missed several opportunities to really make it unique as a narrative framework.

Mia Wasikowska is by far my favourite Jane. She was never anything less than superb.

It did, however, bring the theme of the book, that true love can only happen in circumstances of equality, home to the viewer better than any of the other adaptations. Generally adaptations just jump straight into the love story, or that Jane and Rochester are somehow ‘mystically’ connected. This film made no mistake about stressing the fact that they were equals, and that was precisely what they respected and cherished in one another.*

This particular theme of equality is why Jane Eyre is one of my favourite books, and definitely my favourite romance of all time. It isn’t very often that relationships between men and women are portrayed on such solid footing like that, and it is what makes Jane Eyre, the book and the character, so special. Jane never allows herself to be persuaded by anyone, even her great love Rochester, to accept anything less than equal and fair treatment, and will never compromise her self respect, and unlike one of Dickens’ idealized heroines, she will never suffer or sacrifice simply because people expect it of her. When Rochester is revealed to already have a wife in the poor mad Bertha, she would rather run away to an incredibly uncertain future than remain with him on unequal terms. She knows herself better than Rochester does himself in their time of crisis, and knows that without mutual respect they are nothing to each other.

So my search for the perfect adaptation continues. It’s probably not going to be a feature film, which means I’ve got several years of waiting before anyone goes and makes another mini-series. I’ve still got the book, though, and that is the real treasure.

*Although I dislike that Rochester must become physically weakened and deformed in service of this idea, I still love the force of the sentiment behind it.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:37 am

http://mojomoviespot.blogspot.com/2011/04/jane-eyre.html

Jane Eyre (****)

A classically crafted retelling of a timeless story, Jane Eyre does not disappoint. Though it takes itself very seriously, with wonderful performances and memorable embellishments, this faithful adaptation is a pleasure to watch.

The performances are the real strength of the film, as they should be. Mia Wasikowska - a new but increasingly recognizable face (Alice in Wonderland, The Kids Are All Right) - is an excellent fit in the title role. The part by no means showcases her beauty, but Jane is not supposed to be beautiful. Wasikowska manages to portray Jane's soul and spirit to near-perfection and with surprising depth for her age. But the real scene-stealer here is Michael Fassbender as Rochester. Fassbender gives Rochester a nearly tangible charisma and endless layers of character; a performance worthy of and actually fairly likely to receive recognition. He and Wasikowska also have terrific chemistry, their scenes together always tense and riveting. And of course, Judi Dench is immaculate as always as the kind Mrs. Fairfax.

Other good things about the film are most notably the score, costuming, and cinematography. Dark, creepy, and memorable, the beautiful sets and grim lighting set the serious tone from the opening scene. The flashback-style setup of the screenplay is effective and different. The costuming, though perhaps not award-worthy, is very appropriate and does not try too hard. Something that may very well be award-worthy, however, is Dario Marianelli's (of Atonement fame) heartbreakingly beautiful score. I personally found it to be on par with his work for Atonement, which won the Oscar... Don't be surprised to see Marianelli's name a contender for one of the top five spots this year as well.

Though this may be one of the best adaptations of Charlotte Brontë's novel, it's certainly not a perfect film. A bit slow, dragging, and honestly dull at times... humor and wit are largely sacrificed to maintain the most faithful adaptation of the book possible.

Jane Eyre is a good fit for serious, art-loving moviegoers who can appreciate a classic story and old fashioned great acting. The classic genre addressed here is tastefully done and a breath of fresh air in the shoot-em-up, effects-based entertainment industry today. Certainly worth seeing at least once.

(Awards potential: Best Actor (Fassbender), Best Original Score)
Posted by Maureen at 9:11 PM
Email This
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:38 am

http://philsfilmadventures.blogspot.com/2011/04/phil-sees-conspirator-and-jane-eyre-at.html

Sunday, April 24, 2011
Phil sees THE CONSPIRATOR and JANE EYRE at the Camera 7 Pruneyard-April 23, 2011
Today I decided to travel to another one of my favorite theaters, The Camera 7 in the Pruneyard Campbell. There I treated myself to a double feature. Two period pieces, but two very different themes. One is based on true events, the other an adaptation of a literature classic.

The next film I saw for today was a new adaptation of Charlotte Bronte's classic novel JANE EYRE. After living a bleak and despair childhood, Jane Eyre eventually becomes a governess at Thornfield Hall for the cold-hearted and mean spirited master Mr. Rochester. In time she begins to melt her master's heart, and soon the two of them fall in love. However, Mr. Rochester's secret past could very well destroy Jane's happiness and the life they planned together.

There have been several film adaptations of the novel. With this version, director Cary Fukunaga stays faithful to Bronte's novel while creating somber moods, self preservation, and forbidden love set against the tranquility landscape of the British countryside. What I also found interesting is that Fukunaga follows up his film debut SIN NOMBRE with this period piece, but somehow, he does a masterful job of directing this film. Slow paced and precise, with just amazing set ups, the film flows just like the novel, taking its time to introduce us all to Bronte's world.

Also it's worth noting the absolutely stunning performance of Aussie actress Mia Wasikowska in the title role as Jane. She is plain, strong willed, and determined to live her life on her terms without compromise. Wasikowska commands attention when she appears on screen. Actor Michael Fassbender's turns in another fine acting job as Mr. Rochester. While Orson Welles casts a very large shadow in the 1944 version, Fassbender does a tremendous job. My only real complaint is Judi Dench's role as the housekeeper was longer and more fleshed out. Dench is such a talented actress, and this role should've been much more richer. Other than that, this was a great film, and another contender for the Oscar's next year.

Both THE CONSPIRATOR and JANE EYRE are now playing nationwide, including at the Camera Cinemas. To see showtimes, visit http://www.cameracinemas.com/index.shtml

Thanks for reading, and enjoy the show!
Posted by Philip Castor at 6:33 PM
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:41 am

http://americathankedme.blogspot.com/2011/04/jane-eyre-notes-after-percolation.html

Sunday, April 24, 2011
jane eyre: notes after percolation
WHY JANE EYRE WHY??

now let's just all bear in mind that had i liked this film, i would have been somewhat disappointed. i came to watch it suck, and it sucked.

acting: quite good.

direction: not bad.

basic premise of fragmentary kaleidoscope of jane eyre plot-nessfulness: RUDE but promising, for the first half hour or so.

presentation of conditions of jane eyre's young life: not bad! helen burns was there and she didn't dispense any advice about advertising!

other points of eyre-y goodness: two whole rivers sisters! with lines! st. john/jane eyre relationship made interesting, and is not totally disrespectful of what appear to me to be bronte's intentions! jane eyre has no pretensions to being a naturalist...mia wasikowska gave a luminous performance...soundtrack could have been worse...blanche is not blonde...

it was the core rochester/jane relationship that sucked, though not for lack of trying. my personal opinion of rochester is that bronte gives a very exact depiction of him, and thereby renders him impossible to cast. jane eyre is also a very exacting character, but somehow you can get a likeable jane out of many different types of people (not charlotte gainsbourg, but many people [ruth wilson still being my favorite--though i have a friend that i think would play the part the best of anyone ever]). the closest i've ever been able to come to getting a good casting of rochester, though, even just in my head, is right now, when i'm thinking that kristin chenoweth would do a great job with the part, if hell froze over and she somehow got the opportunity. rochester is just impossible to make right. orson welles is all thunder and no humor, timothy dalton, though awesome, is too byron and not enough bothwell, toby stephens is way too suave... and i like all of these performances. i just feel bad for michael fassbender. he's trying to play this impossible part, and the only support he's getting from either the script or the production is a miniscule flower and a neckcloth. who could do anything with those materials? mcguyver? maybe he could make a weapon with which to free himself from a tricky situation (victorian england, for instance), but even he couldn't construct a rochester characterization worth balls. fassbender did a great job with what he was given--but this seemed to consist of, "okay, now stare at an angle to the camera. you can't flirt with jane, so just pant at her. make it more angry! now more sensitive! angrier! sensitiver! i don't know, something with your nostrils, maybe? are you wearing the neckcloth? do you have your tiny flower?"

i'm wondering how many woman directors there have been of jane eyre...how many woman screenwriters... it's sexist of me, i know. i didn't think the direction was that bad. i read a review at the movie theater (you know, one of those they post on cardboard) in which cary fukunaga discussed having read the book several times, and i felt like i could see what he'd read expressed in the movie. his interpretation of jane, who, as the review pointed out, can get lost in the furor sometimes, was quite respectable. not perfect (for a rabid fangirl, there is no such thing) but certainly well within respectable range.

to put it in the most abstract terms, i felt like the movie's intensity of purpose was admirable, and its use of its materials was kind of deplorable. it faltered worst when it came to rochester, turning the whole thornfield sequence into something almost painful to experience, and not in the i-identify kind of way, but in the i-wish-this-were-less-teh-suck* kind of way. a sequence of shots of cherry trees does not a romance make.

UNFORTUNATELY!! am i right? am i right?

hey, maybe robert downey jr. could rochester it righteously. i just like the idea of kristin chenoweth.

*rereading my megatokyo volumes; sorry.
Posted by sra at 5:33 PM
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:47 am

http://film-danielle.blogspot.com/2011/04/jane-eyre.html

Jane Eyre

Year Made: 2011
Director: Cary Fukunaga
Starring: Mia Wasikowska, Michael Fassbender, and Jamie Bell
Awards: This film has not yet won any awards because it just came out in theaters.

This is definitely a film worth seeing for countless reasons. For starters, I think that you will find the dialogue absolutely amazing, and pleasurable to listen to. It is as though the writing from the book, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, was just put into motion on screen with the words kept the same. Everything was beautifully worded, and it truly made it feel like an older movie because you had to constantly be listening and processing every syllable that came out of the characters mouths. There was really no time to daze off and shut your brain down because you had to think about what was just said in order to make complete and total sense of the movie. I honestly give 80% of the success of the movie to the screenplay because it made an enormous impact on me. Another thing that was really unique about this movie was the fact that it was not told in your normal order of a story. Instead of starting at the beginning of the tale and movie to the middle and end it started with the beginning of the end, then moved back to the very beginning, and jumped around between those two mediums for a bit, and then all of a sudden it went from the end of the beginning to the middle. From the middle, which was the climax and majority of where the movie took place, it jumped back to where the film started and continued until the very very end. At the beginning I was completely lost because it was really the end of the film that we were getting a sneak peak of. I didn't really have any emotion towards what was happening to Jane Eyre as she was running away from something, crying hysterically in the rain. When they replayed this scene at the end I had a greater understanding of what this scene was about, allowing for a tidal wave of emotions to sweep me away in the ocean of Jane Eyre. In addition to the hectic order of the film, which by the way was brilliant and added a tremendous amount of pizzazz to the movie, the love story was one of great perportions. I was not expecting a love story out of a movie that took place so long ago, but I found that I stumbled across one that might be the greatest one I have ever seen or heard of. Because of the time period in which this film took place, it made this romance all the more controversial and serious, allowing for tension to build up throughout the film. I found myself praying for Jane and Edward, her master and future lover, the entire time they were on screen together. At first I thought Jane had no interest in him, and that he was just playing with her while really having intensions for a high society woman, but as the movie continued on I realized that he really did like the rebellious woman lurking beneath the usual plane, meek, typical woman from that time period. There were so many surprises throughout the film considering it was suppose to take place in what I assumed was a very formal and plane period in time. When Jane and Edward were at the chapel getting married someone came in and objected to their soon to be marriage. Their reason? Edward already had a wife, and she was hiding in his very own home. She was imprisoned in a little room where no one could get to her because she was mentally insane. After Jane left Edward because of this, she ran away, and soon discovered that her distant Uncle died and left her is large fortune. She became extremely wealthy. In addition to this, after being proposed to by another man whom she did not want to marry, she ran back to Edward only to find his glorious mansion burned down. His crazy wife snuck out of her chamber and burned the place down. She then jumped to her death and left Edward to be engulfed by the fire. I swear when the housekeeper was telling this to Jane on the burned down threshold I thought he was dead. When Jane went out to the garden, I was proved wrong. He was sitting on a bench with his dog and cane, blinded from the fire. The film ended their with a beautiful romance filled with heartbreak and passion, and topped off with a happy ending.
Posted by Danielle Immerman
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:48 am

http://currentscene.wordpress.com/2011/04/24/jane-eyre-2011/

April 24, 2011
Jane Eyre 2011
Posted by Julie under Books, Movies/TV

Once again, I am a little late to the party. It’s not all my fault — Jane Eyre didn’t open here in Sarasota until early April, and other commitments kept me from going before yesterday.

I walked out thinking “meh.” I thought of all the glowing reviews I’d read, and all I could think of was that they’d either never read the book or they’d read it and forgotten the story. It was beautifully done (even more beautiful than the 2006 version), and the leads were outstanding, but so much was left out that I just couldn’t love it. It did remind me how long it’s been since I’ve read the book, and I really need to re-read it before seeing the movie again. My copy of the book is (say it with me!) in storage, so I went to the library to get one of theirs. Unfortunately, my local branch’s copy was checked out, but I’ll try the main branch downtown during a lunch break from work this week and see if one of theirs is around (the library’s website appears to be down, so I can’t place a reserve on a copy). I could actually read it on my Kindle, but I’ve noticed that the free versions of public domain books are often very poorly translated to electronic format, and I’d rather not have to work at ignoring all the mistakes I’m likely to find instead of paying my full attention to the story.

What did I like? I thought the two leads were excellent. Mia W. showed Jane’s inner strength and passion. Michael Fassbender is so good-looking that when he asks Jane if she thinks he’s handsome and she says no, the women in the audience all laughed. But he was very, very good as Rochester. This was the first Adele that didn’t make me want to slap her, Sally Hawkins was almost unrecognizable as Aunt Reed (in a good way), and Judi Dench was her usual stellar self as Mrs. Fairfax.

What did I not like? We didn’t see enough of Blanche. Richard Mason was far younger than I’ve always thought (he looked to be far too young to have been involved in the Edward/Bertha marriage). If you blink, you’d miss Grace Poole. I didn’t even know Miss Temple was in the movie until I read the credits. Plus, the gypsy scene is gone. Granted, it’s almost impossible to do well, but I did like the way the 2006 miniseries handled it. I guess that, if you have to cut the story down to fit into a 2-hour time slot, a lot of good stuff had to go. But that doesn’t mean I like it. St. John wasn’t cold enough and it actually seemed that he was in love with Jane and, as such, jealous of Rochester. There was no Rosamund at all, making it possible for people who don’t know the whole story to believe St John may have been in love with Jane. We do learn that Jane is an heiress, but they don’t tell us that the Rivers siblings are her cousins, so when she shares her inheritance with them, it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. And having him kiss her “as a sister” when she’s not related to him really creeped me out.

As I said, I haven’t read the book in a while and I couldn’t take notes in the theater, so I can only give you a rough idea of what I liked and didn’t like about the movie. But, it did inspire me to do a Jane Eyre-a-thon in the very near future. I’ve already added all of the available adaptations to my Netflix queue (I am very distressed that they don’t own the George C. Scott/Susannah York version; my copy is, of course, in storage, so I can’t even watch my own copy — hopefully I’ll be able to get it through interlibrary loan), including a TV version from the 19449 starring Charlton Heston as Rochester. I’d seen a clip of that version over at YouTube, so I am really looking forward to seeing it in its entirety. There’s also a 1934 version that looks dreadful, but I’ll watch it just because it’s there. I’ll likely also include the new adaptation of “Wide Sargasso Sea” simply because I’ve never seen it. I have read WSS, and I saw the Nathaniel Parker adaptation from 1993, but I hated both of them and don’t feel compelled to visit them again.

I’ve never loved Jane Eyre as much as I love any of Austen’s “Big 6,” but it still very dear to me and I am looking forward to this re-read. It’s the only book by a Bronte sister that I’ve managed to read in its entirety. I’ve tried Wuthering Heights and Villette and thought they were both unreadable. I’ve been assured that Anne Bronte’s Tenant of Wildfell Hall and Agnes Grey are good, but I haven’t gotten around to reading them yet. I’ll let you know when/if I do.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next