Michael Fassbender Fans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top News
WE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT MICHAEL-AN AWARD WINNING ACTOR

Congratulations to the cast and crew of "12 Years a Slave" winning an Oscar for Best Picture

Michael is currently filming "MacBeth"

Watch "12 Years A Slave" and "Frank" in theaters

Watch "The Counselor" and "12 Years A Slave" on DVD available now

Michael is set to star and produce on a film version of the video game "Assassin's Creed"

Completed projects: X-Men, Untitled Malik project

Upcoming projects Assassin's Creed, Prometheus 2, MacBeth,and more!

Header credit here

MFmultiply's Disclaimer

Order region 1 dvds-Amazon store

Order region 2-UK dvds-Amazon Shoppe

Please check the calender for films on TV, Theater, or dvd releases
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Prometheus previews and spoilers

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Prometheus previews and spoilers - Page 2 Empty Re: Prometheus previews and spoilers

Post by Admin Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:54 pm

litterthug:
A Short Prometheus Review. Spoiler Heavy.

PROS:

It looks great. The CGI, set design,monster design, everything is brilliant. It looks like they just filmed a real alien planet so that’s cool.

The actors are mostly good. The girl with the dragon tattoo and Stringer Bell especially. Fassbender’s David is also really intriguing in the opening moments and the final moments of the film but the parts in the middle where he’s Guy Pearce’s puppet is dumb.

The ending is just great because they spent so much time denying it was an alien prequel so when the alien queen popped her head in that was a great moment. I also like the idea of the continuing adventures of David head and lady Scientist

CONS:

The script. It is f#%@#&! terrible. Lots of things happen on screen but none of them are in any way interesting because you barely know the characters and they’re all such clichés that it’s hard to like them. Special mention has to go to Seamus from WWE (I wish it was actually Seamus motherf@#$%! just looks like him) as a geologist who first says “i’m only in it for the money” (no joke that is an actual line of dialogue and he f#%@#&! growls it) and then later starts talking about he only cares about geology. Characters also act incredibly retarded like when “the Engineers’ ” space ship is rolling and Charlize Theron and Dragon Tattoo woman decide the best way to escape it is to keep running down the path that it is going. SO f#%@#&! dumb! Plot holes abound and it feels like half an hour has been cut from the movie.

The pacing is also really off. The movie moves at an incredible pace with s$#! constantly happening so we aren’t given any time to get to know any of the characters. Then in the last 30 minutes or so it’s like they realised they were making a movie so it starts moving even faster to kill off all the characters by the end. At the end of the film you’ll feel like you watched a very short film where nothing really happened.

It’s clear that they had no answers for any of the questions they themselves posed which makes sense since a guy from Lost wrote it. That’s the worst part. They introduce a living Space Jocky/Engineer and ask him questions and all he does is go beast mode on everybody. Such a waste.

IN CLOSING:

They had a great movie here but they f&%$#& it up and made an okay one instead. The script is just not there and it’s so close to being great. It would have been really easy to save as well. Add twenty minutes to the run time, instead of David being the villain make his growing “love” for Shaw more obvious, make him have to make a choice between his father and her. Introduce the living space jocky earlier in the film, make him the antagonist who they trust but he’s secretly infecting everyone. Then it would make the movie a battle between man and a God instead of what it is which is dicking about for 2 hours until they realise “oh s$#!, we have a movie to end”

Meh out of 10
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Prometheus previews and spoilers - Page 2 Empty Re: Prometheus previews and spoilers

Post by Admin Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:55 pm

elliewaters:
Belated Prometheus-related post (no spoilers)

Went to the midnight showing of Prometheus with Conor last night. Here’s what I thought, vague as f&#! to avoid spoilers:

It was good, lots of little references to the wider Alien mythos (some of which you’d only notice if you were paying close attention).
Effects were stunning, not that anyone was expecting anything less.
Noomi Rapace’s English accent was more convincing than it sounded in the trailer.
Though he’s not a main character and there was nowhere near enough of him, what Idris Elba did get was utterly golden.
Michael Fassbender was absolutely sublime (to the point where we both realised on leaving the theatre that we cared more about David, his robot character, than any of the humans).
There is one really really gross bit that I could barely watch (the other kind of gross things I was fine with and I’m not normally squeamish at all, but if you’ve see it I bet you can guess what I’m talking about).
There is also an utterly fantastic part that I cannot talk about because it would be the biggest spoiler ever, but trust me it’s good.
I’d agree with reviews saying that it feels like there’s a little too much going on, and certain things happen too early on in the narrative for them to really have much of an impact on the viewer, but it is still a very good film.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:56 pm

throughthesilverscreen:
Quickie Review: Prometheus

So here we are. Prometheus. This is a big one, one of the most hotly anticipated films of the year. Having been in development from as far back as 2002, it was going to be stunning, one way or another. So, in honour of this, I decided to make something of the event. I booked my tickets a month in advance, I made sure not to give myself any info that might spoil it for me, dressed in my best cinema snob jacket, went to the midnight IMAX screening, sat back and watched. And I came out with just as many questions as I went in with.

The story follows Dr Elizabeth Shaw (Noomi Rapace), a religious archaeologist, who discovers through several cave paintings the coordinates to a far off planet that may hold the answers to secrets regarding evolution and the human race, especially concerning their ties to the strange ‘Engineers’ depicted in the paintings. With the backing of Weyland Corp, Shaw travels to the distant planet, along with the mysterious android David (Michael Fassbender), the caustic Meredith Vickers (Charlize Theron) and her happy-go-lucky colleague Charlie Holloway (Logan Marshall-Green). Upon investigating several ruins on the planet, the team soon realise that the Engineers are long gone, destroyed by unknown forces. And what destroyed them may still be on the planet.

I went into this expecting an Alien prequel that would slot nicely at the start of the series. What happened was actually quite disappointing. There is not a lot of flesh to the film. Only a few of the main characters have any real development, exposition is dropped into the dialogue rather abruptly and there are so many details needed to understand what is happening that are just overlooked. The sheer amount of events forced into the two hour long film means that a lot of this falls by the wayside so that the next event can happen. It is certainly a film that demands a sequel, just so as to have a full understanding as to what is happening at all and what it all means. While a lack of detail is expected of films starting a series, the lack of detail is actually severely frustrating instead of intriguing.

That is not to say that the film does not have positives. The visuals of the film, the planets, the designs, the aliens, the ruins and the graphics are all stunning to watch and will take your breath away, especially if seen in IMAX or 3D (something that can’t be said for most films). Also, the film is kept amazingly atmospheric through the camerawork, soundtrack and lighting all working together to create tension and mystery. However, as impressive as this is, it is but a pretty skin pulled across a skeleton with barely any meat on its bones.

As visually awe-inspiring and atmospheric this film is, the severe lack of detail and very thin substance do tarnish its glamour. Still worth going to see, but is in desperate need for a sequel to tie the loose ends together.

Stars: 3
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:57 pm

notesonfilms:

PROMETHEUS (Scott, 2012) - I was planning to unleash some snark about how inconsistent and poorly thought-through the science in PROMETHEUS was, but someone’s already done that for me (warning: VERY spoilery). I was going to refer to one of the actors as “a poor man’s Tom Hardy”, but that’s apparently not very original either.

Instead, I’ll talk about why despite being disappointed and frustrated by PROMETHEUS, I did enjoy many aspects of it. Ridley Scott’s direction, for instance, is truly refreshing, with carefully composed, steady shots, and old-fashioned suspense-building. It’s not a horror film though - the ALIEN franchise is kind of unique in its genre-hopping, from the true haunted-house horror of the original to the pure action of the first sequel and the (unfortunately not very thought through) science-fiction of ideas of this one*.

The second great thing is the acting. Michael Fassbender is wonderfully “off” as David, and his coldness is balanced out by the warm humanity of Noomi Rapace’s Elisabeth Shaw and Idris Elba’s Captain Janek. The rest of the cast is less memorable, alas, and aside from one impressive moment Charlize Theron gets very little to do, though she can certainly pull of the space-suit look.

It’s difficult to say more without getting into spoiler territory. Overall, it seems the film is a bit too beholden to ALIEN, too set on offering some kind of explanation (with a handy embedded lesson) about what happened in that film, while at the same time not connecting precisely enough to that film to satisfy sticklers. It’s not a miss - but it can’t be called a hit, either. However, I’m certainly happy they at least aimed high.

*Disclaimer: I have not seen the third and fourth film, or any of the ALIENS vs. PREDATOR movies
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:02 pm

naturallybornkiller:
Just went to the Prometheus midnight premiere

It was rather great, I must say.
Definitely some awesome and obvious throwbacks to Alien in there, and I would definitely say that you could call it a prequel.
Charlize Theoron and Michael Fassbender totally own it, as I expected.
Noomi Rapace gives her all, and she’s rather likable actually. (I love her in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo original also)
Visually, it’s without a doubt one of the best looking films I’ve ever seen. I mean, I’m an old school guy usually. I’ll opt for the old puppet effect rather than CGI, but I said g*&^%$# this film looks incredible. Every creature is terrifyingly real-looking.
The end is a bit forced, but the fanboys like myself will appreciate it.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:02 pm

veryshortfilmreviews:

Prometheus

Ridley Scott’s latest psychological thriller does not disappoint. It answers long-standing questions about the Alien universe but demands we ask even more. The scarring metaphors from pre-sequel are intensified. Very cool art style not only from the extrapolated skeletal H. R. Giger sets but also beyond into the entire film. Michael Fassbender is simply sublime as the android David and Noomi Rapace is perfect in her unexpected role. Some twists were a tad predictable but I can only assume that they were designed to be. Not much character depth with any of the characters but it wasn’t required: this film is phenomenal as it is.

Overall: I’m going to see it again. I’ve never done that with a film before.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:04 pm

the-unsigned:
Prometheus was SO MUCH FUN. Yes it was.

David is arguably the most awesome character since you can never quite know what he’s thinking.

Also? The whole way home I was doing my best Steve Irwin impression - actually it was the South Park version. (The plethora of horror movie mistakes were ABSOLUTELY f#%@#&! SPECTACULAR)

“Now this little beauty is the face-hugger. If we get too close, it will attach itself to my face strangle me while it makes sweet love to my mouth. I can’t even find it’s arsehole but I’m going to see if I can jam my thumb in there anyway and get it good and pissed off!”

Because that man is the only one who would have ever gotten willingly close to one of them. Anyone else? Too stupid to live.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:05 pm

winegumjoe-tmpd:
Review - Prometheus

7/10

When I first found out Ridley Scott was back on writing the script of a prequel to his sci-fi masterpiece Alien, I was excited as hell. Finally something to make people forget about the hideous Alien vs. Predator films. Later Scott revealed that Prometheus would not be a real prequel but it would be set in the same universe some time (3 decades to be precise) before the Alien film started. I was somewhat surprised about that but still I was very eager to go watch Prometheus and the fact that none of the promotional material showed any alien lifeforms got me really curious.

Led by etchings from different ancient civilizations forming a map, a 17-man crew aboard the exploratory vessel Prometheus land on a planet which, according to scientist couple Elizabeth Shaw (Noomi Rapace) and Charlie Holloway (Logan Marshall-Green), holds the secrets to the origin of human life. The couple are joined by 15 others including the android David (Michael Fassbender) and Captain Janek (Idris Elba) and all are supervised by mission director Meredith Vickers (Charlize Theron), who immediately shows who wears the pants on the ship. Once they hit land, they go out to explore an underground network of tunnels, where they find a dead body of an extraterrestrial life form and a room filled with cylinders leaking black goo. They decide to bring a part of the dead body with them, after which everything goes wrong.

Visually Prometheus is top quality. Amazing shots are followed by even more amazing shots, the action scenes are clear and beautiful, the alien characters and settings look gorgeous and all the technology in the film looks innovative as well as somewhat realistic. In one scene Dr Elizabeth Shaw climbs into a med-pod to have abdominal surgery, which might be the most gruesome and best shot scene in the entire film. Not only the technology in the film but also the scientific end of the story, about the meaning of life, is surprisingly plausible.

What bothered me most about Prometheus is the character development. Not one character succeeded in getting my sympathy. It is like there is something wrong with every character. Most characters we do not even get to know all that well. The female characters are the only ones who we get some more information on, but they too are somewhat flawed. Elizabeth Shaw is a driven scientist, but is religious, which to me sounds contradictory and even for an antagonist, Meredith Vickers is too irritating whenever she gets on the screen. Protagonist Shaw is a far cry from how tough and determined Sigourney Weaver’s Ellen Ripley was in the original quadrilogy. On top of all this Ridley Scott decided to cast Guy Pearce as ninety-something year old Peter Weyland. What the f&#! is up with that? Are there not enough good actors who look like they could be somewhere near that old?

One performance, though, is outstanding. Words cannot describe how good rising star Michael Fassbender’s performance in Prometheus is. David is an android designed to look as humanly as possible to improve communication with humans. It is seriously impossible to succeed into playing a robot who plays a human as good as Fassbender does. Whenever he’s on the screen, he grabs your attention like a magnet. His character is amazingly likeable, but also extremely creepy. The scene where he confronts Dr Shaw with the death of her father, will make anyone shiver in disgust. His creepiness is only strengthened by his flawless, Arian beauty, never failing well manners and his lack of empathy. The memory of the android Ash going completely rogue on the other crew members in Alien, guarantees many moments of anxious anticipation.

Though the film has its moments, it is never as frightening as Alien. Without a contained setting like in Scott’s precedent, it was probably not realistic to hope for scary scenes which are as lugubrious and claustrophobic. Instead we get hasty and more spectacular action, which did not satisfy me at all. All in all, though, the beauty of the film, the winks to the original quadrilogy, and the delightful performance of Michael Fassbender - seriously, give the man an Oscar - make it worthwhile to see, though I can imagine the hardcore Alien fans will be disappointed.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:07 pm

triinblin:
Prometheus (2012)

I liked it even though I have to shamefully admit that I slept for about 10 minutes of it but I had had a really long and busy day (bhhh I hate this stupid habit so much.. When I just physically can’t keep my eyes open.. Oh well)

It was often gooey and gross in a very cool and awesome kinda way. I loved the cast except for Idris Elba who annoys me for some reason in everything (haven’t watched Wire, so don’t know about that).

Had a fun time at the screening with Splash and bf and my Bounty milkshake hehehe.

And I absolutely loved the ending! Even though the whole film just made you have more and more questions (classic Lost writers’ move I guess).

After the showing a couple of Marlon’s friends (nephews even?) stayed around and we were discussing it. But the first thing the crazy religious loonies would say about Sir Ridley Scott’s film was “I AIN’T COME FROM NO ALIENS YO!”. Bhhhhhhhh… Cuz yea, as it’s stated it was a documentary and the whole truth about everything. I get so frustrated I don’t even say anything anymore.. I have more intelligence in my shoe laces.. /rant
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:59 pm

thenerdnetwork:
My thoughts on Prometheus

I just saw Ridley Scott’s Prometheus, and I want to post my thoughts on it while they are still fresh in my mind. I will try and be as spoiler-free as possible.

Firstly, let me say that it is an absolutely fantastic film. I loved it so much. The tone and style was perfect. It’s a lot like Alien, obviously, but there are also a lot of other films that have stylistic similarities; Blade Runner, Duncan Jones’ Moon, and even Star Wars and Avatar. The visuals were perfect, too; the space scenes were absolutely breathtaking, and the ship itself looked functional but also had it’s own beauty to it. The 3D was also spectacular, although not quite Avatar standard.

The story was mind-boggling. The ideas that the film explores… They are just massive, and have no real answers. It’s therefore appropriate that the film doesn’t even try to answer some of it’s questions. A lot is implied, a lot is inferred, and a lot is hinted at - enough that you can draw your own conclusions with some thought, but they have also left it open for a sequel which would be VERY interesting. The ending is open-ended.

Speaking of the ending, the link to Alien is much more tenuous than I expected. Well, perhaps tenuous isn’t the right word; it is definitely there, but the ending of Prometheus does not lead into the beginning of Alien. There are things that don’t quite add up between the two films. While these will no-doubt fuel a lot of speculation about the nature of certain things in both films, these inconsistencies can be reconciled with some careful thought. If you take the ending at face value, you will be disappointed, and you will feel that Scott has purposefully changed things and messed up his own canon; but this is most definitely not the case, and if you think about it, you will see why. I respect Ridley Scott for not spoon-feeding the audience the connection to the original film. There is clearly a certain amount of stuff that happens between the ending of Prometheus and the beginning of Alien. It is possible that this might be explained in a post-credits scene that I missed (we left before the end of the credits), or that they might be left for a Prometheus sequel, but I highly doubt it, and to be honest I hope they haven’t.

Furthermore, the acting was top-notch. Michael Fassbender is a revelation as David: at times he is wonderfully innocent and even quite funny; at others he is driven by a determination to discover the truth; and at other times he is really rather sinister. Same with Charlize Theron; she is a very ambiguous character and as an interesting arc throughout the film. Noomi Rapace’s character had probably the most drastic development. She is out through the ringer and comes out on the other side a changed person. She is fantastic as always. Even the supporting cast are all great. Ridley Scott certainly knows how to cast a film.

They incorporate the Prometheus myth in a couple of really interesting ways, as well. The opening scene is essentially a re-imagining of the myth, and the fact that the ship is called Prometheus is significant as well. But this is not the only link, and it is most definitely not spelled out for you. This film requires a lot of thought.

I cannot recommend this film highly enough. It did not disappoint, and I think a second viewing is required!

Overall, I would give it 4.5/5. It loses half a star because some aspects were a little by-the-numbers. But aside from that, it’s excellent.

If you would like to know anything more about Prometheus (the film itself or my thoughts on it), drop me an ask and I will reply Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:43 pm

thepathofexcess:
Prometheus - a tragedy indeed.

I was extremely disappointed with Prometheus and not just because I am a fan of Alien, and Blade Runner for that matter. However, it seems that Ridley Scott has forgotten to make good films. Prometheus not only has a weak plot with many badly structured scenes and as such missed opportunities to really go somewhere with the story, but aside from David it has forgetful characters who illicit no sympathy.

The introduction of David up until the crew wakes up is the best part of the film to me, it really made me think that the film was going to be interesting and really establish the main characters but this didn’t happen. Instead the rest of the cast I really couldn’t have cared about not only as individuals but the relationships they had.

Shaw – We get that she is religious; she wears a cross I think that point was hammered home. She is nearly established as an interesting character with a funny accent before losing all purpose to become the standard action heroine.

Vickers – What was the point in establishing her as so bad ass that she can get out of stasis first without feeling queasy and drinking her vodka neat, if she then mopes about for the most part of the film and is stupid enough to run in the path of a falling ship instead of to the left or right? Oh and did anyone really care she was Weyland’s daughter?

David 8 – By far the most interesting character, but his own purpose in the film was confusing. We know before heading out that he has been speaking to Weyland in stasis and has been taking orders from him, but as soon as he sets foot onto the planet he is walking into the unknown and thereon in he seems to know not only what he is doing but also with no extra instruction. Added to this he doesn’t seem to be interested in the consequences of is actions, if indeed they are orders of Weyland surely he wants to know what Shaw had inside her?

Holloway – Who was he again? Pretty, but pretty forgetful.

Fifield – The man loves rocks, hilarious! But when it comes to actually doing his job before he runs away he doesn’t do a great deal. He activates the probes (and howls…okay) which it appears anyone could do but then proceeds to point the team in the right direction, however, when he leaves with Millburn they get lost which begs the question, is he useful or useless for the sake of advancing the story? His last moment as well was pointless except for adding some needed action as well as being a means of killing off some people I didn’t know were on the crew.

Millburn – He is a biologist and the first thing he does when he sees a new unknown life form is to call it a she and pretend it’s a little cute kitten? Could they really not have thought of a better way to have the cobra-worm-like create to attack him?

Weyland – Why could he not have been played by an old person rather than someone in bad makeup? Just so Guy Pearce could be himself in a viral campaign? Really?

Now in terms of the plot there were so many elements which beg questions and I won’t go through them all, but here are some issues I had.

Weyland hologram – so we can create holographic recordings in the future, yippee! But how do they know where people will be sitting the future as Weyland seemed to know the seats Shaw and Holloway would take?

The holograms of the engineers – we’ve established that something went wrong and that miraculously this was recorded, again holographically (but not in the same level of detail as Weyland’s, they should share notes), although we don’t see what. No one tries to establish if there are more in order to give clues as to what happened; instead they are merely added as a lazy way to provide a weak backstory. The same goes for the corpses of the engineers which are found. There is little interest into why they are all piled up with holes in their heads except for the fact that it is to again show that something went wrong and possibly a creature gestated in them and burst its way out through their heads.

The storm – so Shaw dropped the head and then there was the big scene of saving her, Holloway and the head. When they’re back in the ship not a scratch on them, and yet bone can rupture the suit as we see later with Millburn.

The suicidal collision – Remind me again please why 3 people were needed to steer the ship when the captain told them to raise their arms in the air before collision? Surely no one was needed on the ship after they had set their course.

The new face hugger – A giant squid? Really?

The last message – Of all of the pitiful references to Alien they wanted to make, this was the main one they chose to go with? A poor copy of Ripley’s speech and then Shaw flying off into the sky with David’s head?

The alien – Well it was better than the hybrid in Resurrection I suppose.

If Ridley wanted to make a film tied to the franchise then he should have reminded himself how suspense is done by watching Alien (not that he should need to), how action is done by watching Aliens, and how deep personal beliefs and relationships are portrayed by watching Alien3.

Prometheus 6/10 (which is generous).
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:43 pm

re3l:
Prometheus Review

Firstly apologies for the delay, it’s been a busy bank holiday here in the UK and frankly I needed a few days to get my head around Prometheus’s plot. Just a warning but some spoilers may follow.

“Prometheus follows a science expedition, aboard the spaceship upon which the title of the film is based. There destination is a planet named LV-223, where the crew hopes a race of Engineer’s awaits their arrival. When they get to the moon (after around 2 years) they find the settlement built by these Engineers is derelict and abandoned. However inside the structure are the remains of this new found race and the film then moves on to what exactly killed them.”

Now I wont reveal any more of the plot than that. I’ll start with what’s brilliant about Prometheus, right off the cast is superb! Scott has revived the comradery from Alien, you immediately get the impression that the crew of the ship are a family. Yes there are members of that family that don’t get along any they have opposing views and moral compasses. These characters are real people, and these people you can get behind, even if what they do is at times suspect.

One outstanding performance is Michael Fassbender’s android David, he plays this role as if he were born to do it and manages to pull off making the audience care about a character who essentially is emotionless. He can play the cold calculating David and yet retain the childlike innocence of a machine still learning and trying to understand the world around it. I found Idris Elba another great choice as Captain Janek, he was totally believable as the down to earth, say it how it is, Captain. He was also intriguing as his moral compass becomes a little bit, how can I put it, bent out of shape. Basically this cast gelled together really well.

The plot was also satisfying, as I’ve said before I wanted high concept ideas put into a space horror, monster flick and Prometheus mostly does this. I say mostly, do not go into this film thinking you are gonna see a film as innovative as Alien or Blade Runner (Ridley’s previous contributions to the genre). The ideas here are different and weightier and the focus on religion, cosmology and creation can at times become muddled. However on the whole the film holds everything together reasonably well.

On to the visuals. I highly doubt you’ll see a more breathtaking opening 10 minutes then here, the alien landscapes really took me in and made me kick reality out of the way for three hours. The RED cameras used to shoot this bad boy really made the entire film look crisp and beautiful, at no point during this film did I think “that shot just doesn’t work, it looks crap” it was all gorgeous. Especially when the slime and goo (yes there is goo a plenty) began to fly. The sound as well was all up to scratch, nothing makes me happier then hearing a low grumble of a spaceship as it serenely glides past the camera. The guys over at WETA who did the post production on Prometheus haven’t let anything slide, these are top quality effects at their best.

In conclusion I really liked Prometheus, was I a tiny bit let down, yes, mainly because the film didn’t flow into Alien as well as I thought it would. However it does lead into a sequel extremely well and I am hoping that the answers I crave will be addressed were a sequel to be made. Don’t write off Prometheus though, it sets itself up well on it’s own and if Scott had said this has nothing to do with Alien, I’d have been pleased as punch. It was nice to come out of the theatre still trying to piece everything together (one of the reasons for this delayed review is it’s taken me 2 days to work it out!) I can safely say that I loved it, the pacing was spot on, the plot mind bendingly good. I want a sequel to happen and I want it soon! Yes it does lack some of the narrative punch of Ridley’s previous work but the sheer ambition of Scott to ask such questions to his audience coupled with the breathtaking cinematography and stellar cast make Prometheus a very good film!

4/5 stars

P.S. I will be pre ordering on Blu-Ray!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:44 pm

celeryaneffigy:

PROMETHEUS
Directed by: Ridley Scott
Starring: Michael Fassbender, Noomi Rapace, Charlize Theron, Idris Elba, Logan Marshall-Green.
Rating: 2 out of 5 blowjobs, and a cookie for Fassy.

Not long ago, I read a comment from someone, calling Ridley Scott one of the most overrated contemporary directors. I have to say that I agree. For quite a long time while I was watching this movie, I actually had my hopes up. It seemed to be building well, like it was heading toward something good. There were scenes that were quite spectacular, and it had real promise. And I’m not entirely sure when it started unraveling, but good god, it did. I’m going to say what I often say about movies and books alike: They cocked up the ending. They started out really quite well, and I was interested in seeing where they were headed and how this was all going to turn out. For a while, I almost thought there might be some surprises in store for me! But then the whole thing descended into a pit of despairing cliches, flat characters (in which the actors held little to no blame) and vagina dentata squids (not even exaggerating, it was a toothy vagina with tentacles, the whole thing was a Freudian nightmare), and I was truly disappointed. WHY DID YOU HAVE TO DO THAT?

Credit where credit is due, though, and that’s to the effects, the attention to detail (David’s fingerprints were a source of some appreciation, and Marbles pointed out something interesting concerning tapioca pudding), and most of all the cast, of which Michael Fassbender truly deserves special mention. I’ll be damned if he didn’t out-act the entire bunch, and he really was the most enjoyable part of the movie. Not just because I appreciate the way his body is sculpted (hot damn, though. Hot damn.), but because he really made David the best character of the bunch. That opening sequence with him on the Prometheus was just amazing, and was probably the source of my high hopes for the rest of the movie, to be honest. The rest of the cast also did a good job with what they had to work with, I thought, though for a lot of them, that wasn’t much at all. They should have taken some more time to develop the characters and plot, in my opinion, because it all just became a transparent, flat mess towards the end, and I was not impressed. Except with Michael. Michael can stay. And have a cookie. And a good, long licking.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:58 pm

http://teamsansa.tumblr.com/post/24320681835/prometheus-spoilers-spoilers-spoilers

Text
June 03, 2012
2 notes
Prometheus (SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS)

So.

This movie.

Well… that was… intense.

And brilliant.

I mean, with that cast (Rapace/Fassbender/Elba/Theron being the big ones) how could it not be.

There were a couple of things that happened that I totally called beforehand - Weyland being on the ship and Weyland being Meredith Vickers’ father - but tbh I don’t care, it was just validating ideas that I liked anyway.

Also, Vickers/Janek is my favourite totally doomed you’re-here-so-let’s-get-it-on ship. Just saying.

Noomi Rapace.

Holy s$#!.

Is there nothing this woman cannot do?

Love her. Just… love her. (there was one moment… well, her character is named Elizabeth, right? and someone spoke to her and “Elizabeth” sounded kinda like “Lisbeth” and I FREAKED OUT for a moment there. Yeeeeeeah. Such is my life.)

But really what I want - what I NEED - to talk about is David.

Because seriously I know this is the Alien prequel but I think Ridley might have been revisiting some Blade Runner themes here as well.

(see: that moment when I was considering the idea that Vickers was an android too but didn’t know it… like Rachael in BR…)

But David.

(man, Fassbender does good android.)

Like, he spends just over two years on that ship alone, looking after the crew while they’re in cryo, keeping things going. He eats, he dyes his hair, he watches old movies. So I think that during that two years he had started to… think of himself as human, because he looks human and he was designed to act human and there were no (awake) humans around to remind him of his android state.

And then they get to the planet and they wake up and they get that recorded speech from Weyland which is like “ya this is David, he’s the closest thing to a son that i’ll ever have, which he doesn’t understand because he doesn’t have a soul. Because he’s a robot.”

(which, btw, is the root of MASSIVE Vickers feels for me, because that’s gotta hurt. Her being Weyland’s daughter and all.)

But, everything that happens… it becomes very clear that if he wants to, David will act more robotic. IF HE WANTS TO. If he wants to conceal something from the humans, if he sees advantage in doing so.

He has likes and dislikes (see: the old movies, also he clearly likes Shaw but really, really dislikes Holloway. Probably because Holloway is the most vocal about him not being a “real boy”), he thinks about his own origins, he DECEIVES PEOPLE, he acts on his own initiative.

So, basically, f&#! that “David doesn’t have a soul” thing.

He’s also uniquely qualified to express one very important idea… see, the scientists are looking for the “engineers”, the guys that seeded human life on Earth. They want to know why their creators abandoned (and later, tried to destroy) them.

And David looks at the humans that he’s been protecting for two years, and sees their flaws, and he knows exactly why the Engineers left their creations behind.

And then there’s what Holloway tells him, that humans make androids like David “because they can”, and that is clearly so DISAPPOINTING to David, who obviously thinks he was made for some higher purpose than “because we can”.

So, yeah.

I have a lot of David feels.

Also… um, there’s a fair bit of quite gruesome stuff. Things burst out of other things. People die. A guy gets roasted with a flamethrower. There’s the literal worst c-section ever. It’s probably not a good movie if you’re squeamish.

Also, strangely adorable baby Alien at the end.

So.

A++ MOVIE, WOULD GLADLY SEE AGAIN.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:17 pm

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=339696486103230&id=152223794850501

Michael Fassbender · 878 like this.
Yesterday at 02:00 ·

In the distant past, the spacecraft of an advanced humanoid alien race arrives on Earth. One of the aliens consumes a dark liquid, causing its body to disintegrate and fall into a nearby waterfall—seeding Earth with the building blocks of life.

In 2089, archaeologist couple Elizabeth Shaw and Charlie Holloway discover a star map among the remnants of several otherwise unconnected cultures. They interpret this as evidence of humanity's forerunners. Peter Weyland, the elderly founder of the Weyland Corporation, funds the creation of the scientific vessel Prometheus to follow the map to the distant moon LV-223. The ship's crew travels in stasis while the android David monitors their voyage. In 2093, the ship arrives, and its crew are informed of their mission to find the ancient aliens, called "Engineers". Mission director Meredith Vickers orders them to avoid any direct contact and return if the aliens are found. The Prometheus lands near an alien temple. A team including Shaw, Holloway and David explores the temple, while Vickers and Captain Janek monitor their progress onboard the ship.

They find several ampoule-like artifacts, a monolithic statue of a humanoid head, and the corpse of a giant alien, thought to be one of the Engineers. Other bodies are later found and the species is presumed to be extinct. David secretly returns an ampoule to the ship, while the remaining ampoules begin leaking dark liquid. An approaching storm cuts the expedition short, and the crew is forced to return to Prometheus. Botanist Milburn and geologist Fifield are separated from the expedition and stranded in the temple. In the ship, Shaw and medic Ford analyze the Engineer's head, and discover that its DNA is almost identical to that of the human species. Meanwhile, David investigates the ampoule and discovers a dark liquid substance. He intentionally infects Holloway with the substance. Later, Shaw and the infected Holloway have sex.

In the temple, Fifield and Milburn are attacked by snake-like creatures. Milburn is killed, and a corrosive fluid from one of the creatures melts Fifield's helmet, exposing him to the dark liquid leaking from the ampoules. The crew return to the temple and find Milburn's corpse. David discovers an uncharted room containing a living Engineer in stasis and a star map highlighting Earth. Elsewhere, Holloway's infection rapidly ravages his body, and he is rushed back to the ship. Vickers refuses to let him onboard, and burns him to death at his own request. A medical scan reveals Shaw is pregnant, despite being sterile. A desperate Shaw uses an automated surgery table to cut a squid-like creature from her abdomen. Weyland is found to have been in stasis aboard the ship, and explains to Shaw that he intends to ask the Engineers to help him avoid his impending death.

A mutated Fifield attacks the hangar bay and kills several crew members before being killed himself. Janek suggests the planet was used by the Engineers as a military base until they lost control of their biological weapons; the ampoule. The remaining crew return to the temple and awaken the Engineer. David explains their situation to the Engineer, who responds by decapitating David and killing Weyland and Ford. Shaw escapes the alien ship as it is activated by the Engineer. The still-active David reveals it is going to Earth to unleash the ampoule on humanity. Vickers orders Janek to return to Earth, but Shaw convinces them to stop the Engineer ship by any means necessary. Janek crashes the Prometheus into the Engineer ship while Vickers uses an escape pod. The disabled Engineer ship crashes to the planet, killing Vickers. Shaw goes to the escape pod to retrieve supplies. Inside, she finds her squid-like offspring, which has grown to gigantic size. The Engineer survives the crash and attacks Shaw, who releases the tentacled monster. It subdues the Engineer by thrusting a tentacle down its throat. Shaw recovers David's remains from the alien ship, and together they activate another Engineer ship to travel to the Engineer homeworld in an attempt to understand why they created humanity and attempted to destroy it.

In the Prometheus escape pod, an alien creature bursts out of the dying Engineer's chest
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:25 pm

http://gasolineshorts.tumblr.com/post/24259099568/review-prometheus

Review: Prometheus

My movie-bummer radar tends to go off when faced with enormous, borderline-desperate marketing campaigns. So Prometheus, with its omnipresent TV spots, previews and pre-book NOW! pleas, has had me buzzing for weeks now. Maybe even months, I’m not sure. It certainly feels like we’ve been told to anticipate this enormous summer blockbuster for a really long time.

And so, along I went, like some obedient droid of the modern world. And I’m glad I did because Prometheus is absolutely hilarious. In fact, when the big climax came, I was pretty much laughing constantly at the utter ludicrousness of it all.

Tracking a group of assorted scientists and space-businesspeople, Prometheus takes us along a journey designed to discover a group of ‘engineers’ who possibly created humanity and then left clues all around olden times Earth to tempt modern people to pay them a visit on their far away world. Incredibly, when they arrive, all is not as it seems and there is some kind of sinister force at work. Imagine! National Lampoon’s Space Vacation this ain’t supposed to be but, curiously, it kind of is.

For a film that commits just about every crime of characterisation and script, it’s an inexplicably entertaining, stylish venture. Each character is a broad-brush caricature of movie-making convenience, all highly intelligent but incredibly stupid and reckless in their pursuit of answers and it’s clear from their very first steps on the craggy, mysterious land that this will end badly for all involved. Chekhov said “Don’t tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” But that would be to credit the audience with a sliver of intelligence. Instead, each character clearly states their internal motivation at each turn, largely removing any need for the frankly exhausting multi-task effort required in thinking, looking at something and eating popcorn at the same time.

Overarching themes are similarly laboured. Mostly it’s just a tired rehash of that old religion vs. science argument but you’ll be glad to know that this isn’t too troubling mentally either. Which is great because it means you get to concentrate on the brilliant, thunderous, thrill ride! And it turns out the engineer people are a really sexy bunch. There’s a cameo from the handbag p**** from My Stepmother is an Alien that gleefully face-fucks its way around the boob-shaped structure in which most of the action takes place, at the centre of which is a brilliant Goonies-style keyboard arrangement where instead of bones appear to be testicles of various different species that, when pressed, make a superb planetarium.

Unfortunately, despite some impressive sequences, it doesn’t offer a great deal in the way of thunderous or thrilling thanks to the pace of the film, which is stuttering and stilted, never fully allowing the viewer to become absorbed and preventing any real sense of momentum to the story. It’s too simplistic to be a thought-provoker and not tight enough to be a truly exciting action film. It is, honestly, a bit of a mish-mash of muddled intentions.

Amongst this messy landscape, though, shine some surprisingly good performances – surely a credit to the performers rather than what they had to work with. Michael Fassbender and Charlize Theron are both coldly effective as the voyage’s foggy-intentioned robot and foggy-intentioned mission-leader respectively. They inhabit as impressive a cinematic world as you would expect from Ridley Scott, with all its grand scale, futuristic techno-wizardry and superb detail, but for all this it still feels a little dated as though treading old ground.

All in all, Prometheus feels like a revenue generator rather than an artistic venture – the fizzle at the end of the brightly lit fuse of publicity. The craft-book cut-out characters lend it an oddly empty feel that removes any element of investment in their fates and therefore robs the viewer of a sense of building tension that could have taken this film from an overblown cliché that feels as flat as the murals of the opening scenes to a genuinely exciting, pacey prospect.

And as for the end? A sequence of mind-boggling creature porn gives way to a moment of such seen-it-coming-a-mile-off revelation that… my goodness…. – seriously – don’t walk out before it.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:27 pm

themoviemountain:
Prometheus

Okay, as a huge Ridley Scott fan, I have been waiting for this film for so long. I thought Alien was an incredible film, and had even higher hopes for Prometheus. Was I let down? Absolutely not.

The film had a similar feel to Alien. Michael Fassbender’s character David played the role of an android perfectly. Noomi Rapace and Charlize Theron have also made a brilliant sci-fi debut. From the start, the visuals blew me away, and the soundtrack to the film is phenomenal. The acting from Rapace in her self-surgery scene was surreal - you could almost feel her pain. The futuristic surgery hardware did indeed show us Scott’s vision of the future. When the film did reach its huge climax towards the end, it beat my expectations by a long shot. When Vickers was crushed by the falling spaceship, I could feel her pain - I felt sick (in a good way, of course). No film has ever made me feel that way before.

Many other reviews do mention the fact that a lot of questions remain unanswered, but if you pay good attention to every little detail throughout the film, they will be answered. There is one big question that remains however. Luckily, Ridley Scott has left the film open for a sequel.

My rating? 9/10. Why not 10? I had one problem with it. All the Alien fans out there will remember that when the 3 explorers went aboard the ship, the ‘engineer’ was sat at the large controlling station when he was killed by the alien. In Prometheus however, the engineer was killed aboard the escape pod instead of that seat aboard the ship. If anyone can prove this flaw wrong somehow, please do so!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:29 pm

i-am-loki-of-asgard:
My first review: Prometheus

I went to see Prometheus in 3D today and decided this will be the first movie I will officially publicly ramble about online.

First off, props to the cinematographer/set designer/special effects people. The first few minutes I literally looked like the people in the helicopter in Jurassic Park when they first witness the dinosaurs on Isla Nublar. The 3D is done really well for once and it adds hugely to the feeling of actually being there on an alien planet.

The storyline is okay, much better actually than most reviews I read beforehand give it credit for. There are a few minor plot holes and the story definitely leaves you with a lot of questions but to me it doesn’t seem anything that can’t be fixed by a well-written sequel.

Unlike the Alien series, Prometheus is not so much driven by one iconic character (Ripley is still one of the most badass characters ever written and Sigourney Weaver made her into a cult legend), but rests more on the opposition of the 2 camps of the expedition group: on one hand the scientists that want to investigate the origin of man for the good of mankind, and on the other hand the company that wants to find the key to eternal life.

Noomi Rapace portrayed a decent main character, though the true stars of Prometheus are Charlize Theron as the funder of the operation, and Michael Fassbender as an android that is part of the crew.

I am not a huge Charlize fan but she gives her character a seemingly effortless dominance and power. Despite her not really developing over the course of the movie she’s still interesting to watch, even if you can’t pinpoint exactly what it is about her that keeps you enticed.

Michael Fassbender gives a stellar performance. His role is the most memorable of the movie. He counterpoints his soft, feminine, guru-like peacefulness with an oh-so-subtle underlying menace. He creates a character that seems capable of doing anything, taking any sides, and the slight changes in his tone of voice keep you on your toes at all times. You also keep sympathizing with him because of little touching scenes, like when he meets the maker of his maker and looks ecstatically thankful like a little boy getting praised by his father. Also for an android he has a great sense of humor.

All in all it was a good movie, though not as great as the Alien movies. Not everyone will like it because it is very sci-fi. It is not as action-based or as gory as the Alien movies and it lacks almost any relatable present day features. It truly feels like a situation set in the end of the 21st century.

If you like the Alien movies, you’ll like this one. If you’re expecting something Cloverfield-esque you will not be happy with Prometheus.

I do need to mention one memorable scene that had me on the edge of my seat. At one point Noomi will use a Medi-pod to perform an abortion on herself, this scene will get your adrenaline flowing, it’s quite disturbing.

Little cameo of the original xenomorph from the Alien movies
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:38 pm

kasdeus:
Kasdeus Reviews ▶ Prometheus

The long awaited prequel to the Alien trilodgy is finally here! This is going to be a NON-SPOILER review so please do not blame me if this blog post is shorter than normal.

The film directed by Ridley Scott, the orginal director of the Alien series, stars Michael Fassbender, Guy Pearce, Idris Elba and Charlize Theron. The film is set in the latter part of the 21st Century and follows the story of the crew on the ship, Prometheus, who are after a star map found in ancient ruins around the Earth.

Visually, as with every Ridley Scott film, was amazing. The ships and the whole planet environment was very well done and the costumes were very realistic and fitted well with the retro ties the series has.

Acting wise it was fairly good overall, with Michael Fassbender playing an excellant part as an immortal android. Charlize Theron played her typical bitchy role as the ships captain. The acting was nothing special but not something to complain about.

This review must be kept short or I’ll spoil everything. Overall, the film was good but I must say, a massive disappointment. In my opinion the film was to rush and could have been at least 3 hours. Many scenes were rushed an not explained and there was no time for the viewer to let any thoughts sink in, so the film lacked depth. You never got a chance to care about the characters or have any sympathy for them because you never got to know them.

One scene contained Fassbender walking around the ship with classical music in the background, that scene was around 1 minute long. It should have been extended a lot longer to add to the feel and soul of the film.

Maybe I’m over dramatizing the situation but it was all a bit rushed as if it was ‘hey look at this’ and then the next minute ‘right okay next scene after not explaining the previous’. The film lacked what the originals did have, soul and depth.

Anyway, that’s all for me now. Please FOLLOW my Blog as it really helps me out. I am aiming for 10 followers! 1 more to go! Make it happen people! And you can also follow me on twitter here.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:42 pm

jenwithpinktoes:
Prometheus Review- Spoiler Free

Visuals: Perfect

Soundtrack: Fantastic

Plot: Highly questionable

Dialogue: Unforgivable

I so wanted to have better things to say about what some (people who haven’t heard of Christopher Nolan) are calling the most anticipated film of 2012. Seeing it in super duper hyped up mega 3d (I think that’s what they call it) certainly helped, but it still didn’t quite hit home.

I wont go so far as to say that Ridley Scott shouldn’t have bothered, but I wonder if this was exactly what he envisioned for the story that started before I was born, or more likely what he saw lining his wallet for the next ten years.

Maybe it needed to be longer and give a bit more bulk to a weak and under developed story. Maybe it needed some bigger acting balls than the frankly weak turn out from Dude From Dark Blue and a more original use of peril for our leading lady who, lets tell the truth, Ripley Would have eaten for breakfast and save the scraps for the cat. Noteworthy it was, but in all honesty it was only a side performance as always from Idris Elba, shamelessly underused.

Highlights: A cool and creepy turn from Michael Fassbender as David; the final 30 seconds of the film which just about delivered what the previous 100 minutes had been lacking.

Biggest Gripes: Appalling script. Really. Appalling.

Conclusion: You should see this film, on the big screen with as many 3d, Imax, smellovision or rumbleshock add ons as possible. It is worth seeing, but if you appreciate your films for a bit more than the Shiny- prepare to be underwhelmed. And if you’re a mega Alien legacy fan who has been looking forwards to this for months, not unlike my viewing companion today, make sure you go with someone who will give you a consolatory hug at the end.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:43 pm

xistmedia:
'Prometheus' film review

Now Friday gone was a good Friday because I had the privilege of meeting up with Grace who is the Godmother of my youngest and it’s always good to catch up with great friends.

After our catch up I went along to the cinema and had my weekly conversation with the manager Sharon Lewis who is always extremely pleasant, informative and clearly enjoys her job! I was “humming and ahhing” whether to see 1 film or 2. Not gonna say what I decided to do, but I will say there is another film review to read after this so sit back, relax and buckle up.

I have heard a lot about this film but only relatively recently due to going to Burton College a few months ago and asking the Film students who are under the tutelage of @MarkDugganFilms (twitter name). Talking about @MarkDugganFilms, I asked him for his views on this film. He replied, “Still thinking it over. It contained great parts and some not so great. No-where near the quality of ‘Alien’ or ‘Blade Runner’ though”, which I do agree. Now back to the previous paragraph…

During the visit to the college some of the students mentioned that the film that they were looking forward to seeing was ‘Prometheus’ which I hadn’t heard of before. So Mike Considine (Paddy’s nephew) explained the concept which went a little like this, BUT do be warned this section contains a few spoilers. However you need to know this bit to understand what the movie is about. OK? Good, then read on…

In the distant past, the spacecraft of an advanced humanoid alien race arrives on Earth. One of the aliens consumes a dark liquid, causing its body to disintegrate and fall into a nearby waterfall, seeding Earth with the building blocks of life. We then fast forward to the year 2089, archaeologist couple Elizabeth Shaw (‘Dragon Tattoo’) and Charlie Holloway (Tom Hardy lookalike Logan Marshall-Green/ ‘The Devil’) discover a star map among the remnants of several otherwise unconnected cultures. They interpret this as evidence of humanity’s forerunners.

Peter Weyland (Guy Pearce), the elderly founder of the Weyland Corporation, funds the creation of the scientific vessel Prometheus to follow the map to the distant moon LV-223. In 2093, the ship’s crew travels in suspended animation stasis while the android David (Michael Fassbender) monitors their voyage. The ship piloted by Janek (Idris Elba/ ‘Rock N’ Rolla’) and its crew are informed of their mission to find the ancient aliens, called “Engineers”. Mission director Meredith Vickers (Charlize Theron) orders them to avoid any direct contact and return if the aliens are found. The Prometheus lands near an alien building. A team including Shaw, Holloway and David explores the building, while Vickers and Captain Janek monitor their progress onboard the ship.

So that’s the plot in a nutshell, but do bear in mind that the crew do not really know what the real aim of the mission is, so they are at the mercy of Mission control.

Now we all know who stars in this film and they are all excellent in their roles, but my favourite actor in this is Fassbender, who plays the Android.

The director Ridley Scott is one of the most important directors of the last 30+years due to the body of work he has done. Surely you’ve seen all the ‘Alien’ films? Before your time? Ok, what about ‘Blade Runner’, which also features a very beautiful Android played by Sean Young. Was she the Prototype to “David”? Both perfect-looking/ aesthetically beautiful beings, plus both are made by Man thus have obvious flaws. On top of the films mentioned, he has also done non-Sci Fi films such as ‘Black Hawk Down’, ‘Gladiator’, ‘Kingdom of Heaven’ and ‘Black Rain’ to name a few of his 31 films and TV shows. Not to mention the many he has in the pipeline to do in the next few years.

I thought it was interesting that the film talks about mankind being created by humanoid-looking aliens who have a striking neutral colour that would be pleasing for “The White Supremacists” that populate the highest echelons of our world/ religious/ economic and political systems. Also if you’re a person who’s into one of the world’s major monotheistic faiths then you wouldn’t appreciate the plot in this film. However, if you are the type of monotheistic religion follower who isn’t threatened by “their concepts”, and also realises that films are a way where “the elite” convey an ideology/ concept/ programme, then do watch this and learn a little more.

This is a quality film with eye-popping cinematography that will clean up at the cinemas.

STOP PRESS
I wanted to have a final word alternative to my own, and just as I’m questioning where that defining take on this film would come from, along comes @MarkDugganFilms with this.

Check out the last 2 paragraphs of this article - sums up what I thought about ‘Prometheus’ So go check it out…http://t.co/F18oZq0

Written by Exist Media Film Reviewer: The G-Man (A Life Through the Lens according to G…) You can follow the G-Man on twitter: @gmanzen
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:00 pm

butteredpopcornmoviereviews:
Prometheus (2012)

With Prometheus, he creates a groundbreaking mythology, in which a team of explorers discover a clue to the origins of mankind on Earth, leading them on a thrilling journey to the darkest corners of the universe. There, they must fight a terrifying battle to save the future of the human race.

It takes a tremendous amount of balls to create a film so massive in scale and propose dozens of questions, build them up, and give them an answer they don’t want to hear. They all but spit the questions back into your face, and say deal with it. It may leave some viewers in a frustrated mood towards the film, but if you realize the films true intentions, you may get the same smirk on your face that I did. They were never here to find the meaning of life; they were just here to save it. It’s highly ambiguous and the epic journey is far better than any destination it could have brought you too.

If you’re looking for ties to the alien universe, it’s there, just not as much as you’d expect from a film constantly hyped as a prequel to Alien. This is a story that gives you an idea about how the later films may have come together in shape, but creates a much more epic tale in its universe. It isn’t about an alien race looking to kill its new occupants, but rather one about life, faith, death, evolution and the way that all fit together. For every argument it seems to side with, it quickly retaliates with a counter and juggles a back and forth view on things. The decision is mostly left up to its audience, but even then it seems to come up short. You will never fully understand it, which is what can be frustrating. You want them to hand it to you but they refuse to give you an easy answer. That’s why it was such a risk in what they tried to accomplish that earned them a lot of respect. Its story is the most ambitious one I’ve seen in the last 12 years (outside of Inception), and solidifies it as one of the best additions into the science fiction genre in a long time.

The journey they take is one of grand proportions. The world and en environment around them are completely blended in of CGI and physical sets, you can almost never tell them apart. The moon they spend the movie on is not only beautiful, but fascinating as well. The temples, caves, and structures are well constructed and add a much larger universe than the ones scene in the previous installments. For the first time, you get a true scope of just how massive the world really is. The audio is one of the best I’ve ever heard and when the ship takes off, you actually feel like you’re on the ground level watching it leave right in front of you. I just wish they would have played that dynamite score more often. It’s an overall fantastically made movie that hits on all sides.

The crew this time around feels more developed than the ones we’ve gotten in the past. The two lead scientists Shaw and Holloway, played by Rapace and Logan Logan Marshall-Green are freaking great. Rapace brings another strong female character in the film world that tops Ripley from the first film, but just below her in the second. The transformation and situations she has to overcome are cringeworthy due to her great performance in the most extreme situations. Logan Marshall-Green, relatively unknown, adds a lot of heart and sympathy to a film that seemed composed up of a lot of dark mysterious figures. His honest intentions became something you could latch n and root for. The cream of the crop has got to go the always amazing Michael Fassbender. He introduces us to a character that seems to have his own agenda that is terrifying when you consider his lack of morality. Whatever his true intentions are, they are always hidden to the point where you don’t know whether to hug him or stab him in the back when he turns around. It’s a difficult role that he made seem way too easy. The opening minutes of the film are when he’s at his best, but he is no doubt the strongest throughout. In very solid supporting roles, Idris Elba and Charlize Theron add characters that don’t necessarily get enough warranted screen time, but add intrigue and backbone to an already solid cast. Each character has at least that one moment to shine, but Rapace and Fassbender take you away.

If you were ever dying to see Ridley Scoot finally return to top notch form, he’s finally came back to us. It’s been a long wait, not just for him, but this franchise, to become relevant again that the expectations could’ve killed them both, but Prometheus lives up to the hype and delivers one of the year’s best films. It’s not the perfect kind of film, but it will surely be stuck in your thoughts for days with an urge to watch it again. It’s a world I can’t wait to revisit again, and I hope this time it doesn’t take 25 years to come to light again, it’s too good to be left on the shelf.

Overall Score: 9/10
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:02 pm

lincoln-shire:
Film Review: Prometheus

*POSSIBLE SPOILERS* I saw the film earlier today with my brother and I must say, it wasn’t what I expected but I really enjoyed it! The film had brilliant visual effects, costumes were intricate, and the CGI was believable. The opening sequence with the Engineer was beautiful! I loved the skin colour and textures, the scenery was breathtaking, and the eyes had this emotion that had a certain familiarity to them. The film delivers with suspense and mystery, but it is NOT a horror film like it’s inspiration: Alien (1979). I do not believe it was predictable or just like any other film… It had it’s own unique feel and I cannot wait to see a sequel. Another point I’d like to make is that it is NOT a direct prequel to Alien… At its origins, it was, but it has been stated by the director that Prometheus is not a prequel. Prometheus takes place in the same universe and predates the events of Alien, but the characters and story are not directly related. The director has also stated that if there is a sequel to the film, it would stray even farther off from Alien. With this being said, I still love the film with its story, characters, casting, et cetera! Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace deliver an outstanding performance!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:07 pm

evolvesticker:

Authors note: I’m really not a f#%@#&! conservative. Thanx.

Spoiler alert: PROMETHEUS is the single gnarliest pro-life film ever made.

Ridley Scott, ideologue or not, has created a monster worthy of gross misinterpretation by dumb-as-sand conservatives on a scale not seen since If You Give A Mouse A Cookie was taken on by Grover Norquist for its implicit statements on the failure of the welfare state.

Allow me to elaborate. Set in a world of conservation minded, well funded scientists searching for extra terrestrial life (sounds like unsustainable government largess to me), a corporate honcho (yay! the new bringers of science and enlightenment—self interested corporations) sends a team into space to find a cure for death.

Well from there, s$#! gets ugly. The Godless robot (well educated liberal) causes our heroine to lose her own faith in God while simultaneously facilitating her impregnation with an alien octopus. Without the fear of the almighty, she then gives herself an abortion. Not just any abortion, but the greatest, most visceral, mechanical, late term abortion you will ever see in 3D.

Then because it’s all pissed on not getting a shot to go play with the other un-aborted kids in the Westboro Baptist Church picket line, the alien baby proceeds to impregnate a super being with its wicked spunk, spawning a race of aliens some bitch named Ripley will have to deal with later.

f&#!. That’s a mouth full.

But seriously…it’s a great film if only because it’s so caught up on the life dilemma. Who gets to live? Who chooses? Who dies? Who is free from death? What will save us all? What deserves to be saved? Wonderful meditation on the human condition extrapolated in the hyperreality of distant time and space on a not-so-unrealistic trajectory from our present course.

Most intriguing in the mix of sub-plots and roving elements of reference is Michael Fassbender as a conniving robot man. If the film channels mythic synchronicity surrounding Prometheus, the titan who stole fire from the gods for mankind, it is Fassbender’s character that is the true Promethean figure.

Implicit in his character arc is the oft-unspoken human notion that the celebrated “fire” of the original myth was indeed language and communication. Scott’s lesson du jour is perhaps that when we enter the world of language we play with fire and flirt with doom.

The David character is a master of language. He communicates with the sleeping titan (oh f&#!, I’m sorry have you not seen the film yet? were you too f#%@#&! stupid to keep reading through the initial spoiler alerts), he reads the cryptic inscriptions and even interprets them in a haptic way so as to make them ignite in a contained blaze. Wonderful allegory all around.

Like Prometheus, who rises above his station to attain the gift of fire, David stretches beyond the cybernetic bigotry of his crew mates to grasp something of the human tradition that is not rightfully his. He suffers accordingly. It ain’t quite getting his liver pecked out everyday by an eagle, but in speaking fateful words to the titan, David loses the use of his body. My my, what a faustian bargain.

If I haven’t already totally f&%$#& up your perspective of this film, go see it anways. It’s intense and rich in metaphor and has Stringer Bell singing Crosby, Stills and Nash. Word.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:08 pm

the1927company:
Review: Prometheus

Synopsis

A string of discoveries on Earth concerning the origin of mankind leads a team of corporate explorers to a distant moon. There, in the darkest regions of the universe, they face unexpected horror and a gruesome battle to save the human race.

The Review

Few words can describe the size, scale, and wonder of Ridley Scott’s latest venture into the sci-fi genre. The man who changed cinema with the likes of Alien and Blade Runner tells a strikingly visual new story that is all at once visceral, visionary, and profound. Yes, there are echoes of the Alien Saga, but Prometheus wields a creative power of its own, smoothly edited, excellently written, flawlessly directed, and brimming with nods and winks to Ripley and her terrifying adventures. While the critical reception has been lackluster, I believe this film will grow on the nay-sayers. Of course it’s not perfect. Of course a director can’t simply recapture the claustrophobic genius of Alien all over again. Ridley Scott does something new, going beyond expectation, presenting a truly menacing sci-fi epic, a twisted mythology, a bat-out-of-hell masterpiece in its own right.

First, the criticisms… the crew was too big to get to know, so when people start dropping like flies, there’s really no emotional attachment except to a central seven or so characters. Honestly, that’s okay, but many fun performances are made very 2D by this. Another issue is the number of creatures and creepy crawlies. There is just so much going on that it becomes almost ridiculous, though sticky, slimy, and enjoyable all the same. It’s difficult to focus on a single adversary until the very end, but throughout the film, it seems there is more evil on board the ship than off, much like other entries in the Alien Saga. The score, while amazing, can at times be too forceful, though I really can’t complain too much there. You don’t exactly notice it in a bad way unless you are being (overly) picky. And finally, there are just so many holes and unanswered questions at the end of the movie. BUT, I believe the mystery has a place in the film, and there is obviously SO much potential for amazing sequels. As David (Michael Fassbender) says, “Big things have small beginnings.” Prometheus is just the first step in setting up a new world and a new saga that will eventually get us to LV-426, where Alien will begin many years in the future.

And now, the positives… Prometheus has a strong, pulsating pace and a classically constructed build-up to the off-the-hook chaos that ensues. Many sequences, like the deliciously grotesque medical pod scene and David’s eerie hyper-sleep montage, rival timeless moments from Alien and Aliens. There are so many money shots, on account of Dariusz Wolski’s breathtaking cinematography, and plenty of spine-tingling discoveries and horror-inducing surprises, which I will credit to good writing, directing, and editing. Where certain aspects may be lacking, spectacle fills the gaps. Prometheus is iconic, refreshingly original, and seeks to tackle big ideas in a summer season of sequels, prequels, superheroes, and dumb American comedies. It is the ace in the deck, and an ambitious film you should be watching right now instead of reading this review.

In terms of acting, Michael Fassbender is the star of the show, potentially Oscar-worthy as David, an artificial human with a programmed agenda. He channels Peter O’Toole to chilling effect as he embarks on a cold mission. David is both likeable and terrifying, the xenomorph of Prometheus to be sure (though we do get to meet a primitive xenomorph at the end of the film!). Also brilliant are Noomi Rapace, Charlize Theron, and Idris Elba. All of them perform like the stars that they are. And of course, Ridley Scott has his usual round-up of empowered women who are not only the voice of reason, but the true survivors.

Prometheus is a flooring achievement that needs a giant screen and great sound. It’s scary, deep, and gut-busting with cinematic style. I can’t imagine a better film than this to rebirth the Alien image. This will surely be one of the best films of the year and a movie that has true staying-power as a landmark. Take note, Hollywood. This is the kind of filmic escape we really want!

The Grade

A

The Stats

124 Minutes/ R for sci-fi horror/violence and brief strong language

Starring Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron, Idris Elba, Guy Pearce, Logan Marshall-Green, Sean Harris, Rafe Spall, Kate Dickie, and Patrick Wilson

Written by Jon Spaihts & Damon Lindelof

Directed by Ridley Scott

A 20th Century Fox/ Scott Free Production

Hopefully you will also get the sneak peek scene from Ang Lee’s Life of Pi… INCREDIBLE!!!

Post-Script

I know there is a lot of critical controversy over this film right now. Personally, I don’t think it was messy or randomly put together. Clearly, many critics don’t know the Alien Saga quite like the fans. Feel free to message me any question you might have about the film. I guarantee I have many of the answers!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next