Michael Fassbender Fans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top News
WE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT MICHAEL-AN AWARD WINNING ACTOR

Congratulations to the cast and crew of "12 Years a Slave" winning an Oscar for Best Picture

Michael is currently filming "MacBeth"

Watch "12 Years A Slave" and "Frank" in theaters

Watch "The Counselor" and "12 Years A Slave" on DVD available now

Michael is set to star and produce on a film version of the video game "Assassin's Creed"

Completed projects: X-Men, Untitled Malik project

Upcoming projects Assassin's Creed, Prometheus 2, MacBeth,and more!

Header credit here

MFmultiply's Disclaimer

Order region 1 dvds-Amazon store

Order region 2-UK dvds-Amazon Shoppe

Please check the calender for films on TV, Theater, or dvd releases
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Prometheus previews and spoilers 3

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Prometheus previews and spoilers 3 - Page 3 Empty Re: Prometheus previews and spoilers 3

Post by Admin Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:27 pm

http://excellentintoxicatedmasseuse.tumblr.com/post/24667964304/in-which-matt-reviews-prometheus-and-discusses-what

In which Matt reviews Prometheus (and discusses what makes cinema so great) - Warning: this is really f#%@#&! long

So I just got back from a midnight IMAX screening of Prometheus and I honestly really enjoyed it.

As a piece of summer entertainment, I thought it delivered a ton of excitement. The action set pieces and the body horror genuinely had me tense. I haven’t actually felt disgusted by a movie in a long time, and that f#%@#&! surgery scene delivered, alongside all of the other practical effects. The movie looked cool, though I kind of wish I avoided the 3D.

I will admit a lot of subplots and the shoehorning of moments from Alien were distracting and meaningless, but I was willing to look past them to see the human story of the horrors of discovery and mortality. I’ve noticed a major complaint is how none of the characters had any true dimension, but that’s horror. You can argue the same for Alien. How iconic would someone see the character of Ripley had Aliens not been made? She’s just a final girl, just like Prometheus’s lead.

The fact that there are so many pros and cons to this movie led to serious discussion between everyone I saw it with. Some were disappointed and some thought it was entertaining. I’m glad some films can be so divisive because they create a serious discussion that allows the viewer to really address the direction of cinema. This movie was a perfect example. There is a lot to like and there’s a lot of room to be disappointed.

Even some of my favorite films have their less-than-brilliant moments and it’s important to be critical because it allows you to really build up knowledge. That’s what art is. I’m not calling Prometheus art, especially noting how smart Ridley Scott thought it was when it really wasn’t, but it’s constructive (especially as a film student) and interesting to address the flaws of a piece of work. It really allows you not only to see how others react to a work, but to see into your own critical views.

That’s why I think hype is pointless. Going into a film knowing how you’re going to feel about it, especially when you’re right, is a waste of time. I’ve discovered many great movies from just hearing about them and, yes sometime I discover s$#!, but sometimes I find inspiration. Sharing that inspiration with others, even if they don’t see things the way you do, is just a socially and intellectually productive thing. And I’m glad it took an overhyped popcorn film to really put that into more of a perspective for me.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Prometheus previews and spoilers 3 - Page 3 Empty Re: Prometheus previews and spoilers 3

Post by Admin Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:28 pm

watsonisthebamfking:
Prometheus...

I just… want to curl up in a ball and cry. On a large scale, the movie tackles the questions: Why were we created? Who created us? How? Why did our creator(s) abandon us? What do they think of us? Why do they want to destroy us?

On a smaller scale, it was tense and scary and wowsuperohmygoshican’tlook gory (seriously, alien abortion whyyyyyyyy???), and, at times, a bit predictable (when your two comic relief characters are killed off at the same time, you know everything else is going to fall to s$#!), but overall enjoyable. When I wasn’t cursing under my breath in horror/disgust, or whimpering as I hugged my knees to my chest during the more tense scenes, I was floored by the incredible scenery and the deep narrative on creation and life (very fitting after seeing Frankenstein last night).

Also: Noomi Rapace is gorgeous and very talented. Michael Fassbender stole the show for me, however, with his creepy, yet endearing (as in “oh my gosh you sad creature let me hold you and give you hugs and tea and love and protect you from all the bad things in the world”), David robot.

Overall, an entertaining, semi-frightening movie, with strong performances, story-telling, and design.

Score: 8.5/10 (if I wasn’t such a scaredy-cat/squeamish person it would be a 9, but when you have to cover your eyes during maybe 5-10 whole minutes of the movie, you lose a little bit)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:29 pm

memory-augmentation:

So, a quick(ish) no-spoiler review before anyone else can influence my opinions.

I think I was just too hyped for this movie, which unfortunately was a little disappointing. It was still an enjoyable movie, just unfortunately not the best thing since ever. There were a few scenes and a lot of dialogue that could have been cut, some of the characters were just useless and the movie dragged at the end. Also, while the set/monster/costume design was better than anything I’ve seen in awhile that wasn’t Hellboy II, it was still not as good as the first Alien! (But then, what is?) Mostly my real problem with the movie was that it was just too predictable. But still a well made, decent movie. Just not spectacular.

Anyway, I still want to see Prometheus again in 3D, just for the effects, (I saw it in 2D) and would definitely recommend it to any sci-fi fan. Waaay better than the last movie I saw in theaters with extraterrestrials in it (Super 8?) and probably better than any space movie I’ve seen since Star Trek…There just haven’t been enough good sci-fi movies lately!

Also: I had a dream about playing a flute last night. Weird.

Also: The foggiest drive home ever, and then my (usually very unfriendly) cat jumping out at me from under tables? Made everything just a little creepier tonight.

Edit: At least this movie made me forget about the Celtics for a couple of hours!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:29 pm

geterklyed:
Short Review of Prometheus.

It’s terrible.

No. Seriously.

I wouldn’t make this up.

If you are a true fan of Alien and have the misfortune of believing that Prometheus will enhance your enjoyment of the original Alien, you are so horribly wrong.

Funny enough, I don’t blame my usual punching bag, Ridley Scott, for most of what makes Prometheus a bad film. I blame the screenwriters and the script, which is so infantile and so filled with nauseatingly cliche nonsense found only in today’s big-budget sci-fi flicks that I found myself breaking into laughter throughout many of the film’s apparent serious scenes. The dialogue is so infuriatingly atrocious that I lost count of how many facepalms the spoken words induced.

What the real shame is that the film wastes a legitimately amazing performance from Michael Fassbender as the android. He is pitch-perfect in every conceivable way, cementing his status as one of the three finest working actors around today. His David is easily the film’s most memorable character, and the reason for that isn’t because the character is particularly well-written. No, even David’s writing is awful. It is only because Fassbender is such a phenomenal actor that he is able to literally turn s$#! into…I don’t know…something that isn’t utter s$#!.

Totally unnecessary plot devices, hilarious CGI and make-up effects, a horrendously immature and idiotic script, and an abundance of stupid shooting techniques — gratuitous usage of slow-motion and a nonsensically booming score thrown in — make Prometheus a truly angering filmgoing experience. I walked out disgusted, shaking my head in disbelief. What should have been a masterpiece turns out to be a worse film than Alien: Resurrection. And that’s saying quite a bit.

Score: Get f&%$#&.

(it’s like a one-and-a-half out of five)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:31 pm

benlangevin:
What Prometheus is doing to the movies

No spoilers. Trust me. I’m not going to spoil one of the most exciting and enthralling releases in the digital age of the theater. Ridley Scott and Damon Lindeloff created one of the coolest, most updated, most sheik films I’ve ever witnessed.

I’m stunned. I’m speechless. I’m happy. My brain is fried, and I love it.

However, in my bliss, I do recognize this: Prometheus is pushing movies forward in a direction I’m honestly worried about.

I’m not sure the film world can continually contain releases like Prometheus.

The movie is breathtakingly beautiful, terrifying, and suspenseful in all the best ways, but it almost makes me feel unworthy of ever becoming a filmmaker. I mean, when Ridley Scott waits just about 30 years to go back to Sci-Fi after redefining the genre with Blade Runner, I knew it was going to be amazingly deep. But that?

The direction Prometheus is taking movie goers is in the atmosphere of viral marketing. Viral marketing compels its subscribers to going in on the world it’s creating. Not in creating, but in witnessing. In making a community around a fictional universe.

Viral Marketing requires a universe that is inviting, surprisingly, and worth exploring.

Prometheus, more specifically Weyland Industries, is that universe.

Obviously, I’m not saying that every new release will have a TED talk from a character, nor am I saying that entire web communities will be devoted to a fake company, but that is what will slowly become required of blockbusters. Creative marketing is wonderful. Creative marketing is one of the most intriguing endeavors a film can undertake.

I got hooked on Prometheus because of Lindeloff’s attachment and script work. I went further down the hole of stoked-dom after I rewatched Ridley Scott’s masterpieces: Alien and Blade Runner. I fell even further when I watched the TED talk and the David commercial.

Movies shouldn’t have to live up to that though. It worked for Prometheus, don’t get me wrong, but we are headed down a path that will inevitably become too digitized, too commercialize, to viral for people to care to keep up.

This scares me more than any titan, alien, or predators. The death of the stand alone movie.

But for now. I need sleep.

I’m seeing it again in 6 hours.

Need to get ready for that.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:32 pm

http://zombotron.tumblr.com/post/24666991939/so-prometheus-more-was-awesome-okay-so

SO, PROMETHEUS

WAS AWESOME.

okay so Devon, my brother, and I went to see it in Imax 3D and I highly reccomend paying the extra cash for it. VISUALLY IT IS AMAZING. UH. okay I can’t think properly so I’ll just list things.

> Visually just wow. Can I live in the space / scenery shots? I mean sweet jesus.
> Excellent acting from everyone involved
> From what I could hear of the score (it was hard to hear the music during the scenes where crazy-loud stuff was happening) it was wonderful
> It bugged me that they landed directly beside the pyramid-things despite having no knowledge of the moon beforehand
> It got surprisingly gorey right in the middle (not that I’m complaining. it was awesome)
> When her BF first took off his helmet all I could think of was:

> Idris Elba looks damn good in a space suit
> Everyone looks damn good in a space suit
> Why are androids full of milk
> CAR SIZED FACE-HUGGER
> Devon and I were discussing and some of the mythology introduced in this might sort of conflict with pre-existing mythology but I dont know right now
> Never take an android on your space expedition
> Michael Fassbender watching peoples dreams. Laughing because I only have the dumbest dreams ever and it would be funny if an android watched them.
> A lot of stuff wasn’t explained and that’s probably the biggest pitfall. too many questions pertaining to this mythology and the already existing mythology

oh and we got cool posters!

oh and I forgot: WORST OLD AGE MAKE-UP. at one point you see his legs/feet and they’re NOT OLD. UHG

edit again: CAN I JUST SAY, WATCHING PEOPLE MAKE-OUT IN IMAX IS SO UNCOMFORTABLE.

( 2 days ago) · Jun 8,2012 → 1 note
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:33 pm

derxder:
Just got back from seeing Prometheus...

I should really be getting off to bed since more likely than not I’ll be getting called in early for work tomorrow, but whatever.

The movie itself wasn’t what I was expecting, but not in a bad way. Visually it was beautifully done, it’s been a long time since I’ve seen a movie that had shots of scenes so pretty I thought I’d cry if I could ever see that in my lifetime. I REALLY loved the designs for all the alien creatures, each one of them was a new creature, but it was easy to see the connections to the chestbursters, facehuggers and xenomorphs that I grew up watching.

Storywise it was something quite different from what I had guessed. Based on the name of the movie, I guessed that it might be somewhere along the lines of humans discover alien tech > try to steal it to return to Earth > piss off aliens > punishment is dished out in the form of biological warfare. But I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn’t so easy to guess, and am still left wondering at the motivations of the space jockeys behind everything that was done.

Overall it wasn’t what I was expecting, like I said already, but in a totally good way. I don’t really think the trailers and previews do the film much justice (except for the obvious connection between the Prometheus trailer and the original Alien trailer), to be entirely honest based on just the previews I wasn’t terribly impressed by what I was seeing. But I’m glad I went to see it in the end, it was well worth it!

Also: Michael Fassbender.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:34 pm

inerdouton:
6-7-12 Movie Preview: The Good, The Bad, & The Box Office

By Brian Gordon

The Good, The Bad, and The Box Office: Prometheus should be an awesome letdown, Madagascar 3 surprisingly not sh*#&%, Lola Versus makes me wish the Nazi plan to nuke NYC would have worked, Safety Not Guaranteed not the movie it should have been, but still worth checking out.

Prometheus

The not really a prequel but kind of a prequel but you shouldn’t watch it as a prequel even though it’s basically a prequel to the “Alien” movies quasi prequel. If you’re confused by this, don’t worry, because the movie will make sure to answer almost none of your questions about the universe the “Alien” movies take place in. That’s what sequels are for. Instead, this movie focuses more on the origin of the human species, playing with the idea of both Darwin and the Bible being wrong, and then throwing in some God damn aliens.

The Good- Michael Fassbender as Robot Man. One of the main reasons he’s in this movie is that chicks generally aren’t interested in Sci-Fi, and he gives them something to flick their bean to. Fortunately, he’s not a s$#! actor, and critics are raving about his performance even though he’s totally ripping on Data from Star Trek: TNG. Since he’s a robot though, that means he’s going to be sinister to some extent. Why? Because whatever, robots are bad. Ridley Scott hasn’t exactly had the best record in terms of movies he’s directed over the last few years, but this one looks like it can atone for that.

The Bad- The admittedly weak link to the “Alien” movies. Part of the reason people are so excited for this one is they see it as a fresh start for the “Alien” franchise, and the trailer does its part to show off plenty of imagery related to the earlier movies. Even more promising, the Weyland Corporation plays a significant role in the plot. Other than that though, the movie really doesn’t do too much to explain how it fits into the “Alien” universe, and seems to save that bridge for an implied sequel. A lot of fans may be disappointed at how loose the ties are. No word yet on when that sequel will finally get made, since Scott’s gonna be working on his new Blade Runner project in the meantime, and will be pushing 80 once a sequel gets to pre-production.

Also, this movie will not be for everybody (e.g. dumb whores). Sci-Fi as a whole may be a lot more socially acceptable than it used to be, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t still people out there who hate futuristic movies that pose philosophical questions, unless they are blatantly black and white and have giant robot fights at some point. Plus, anyone drawn in by the horror aspect of the movie will be pissed off, since the movie has more of an unsettlingly creepy vibe than anything. No radioactive aliens mouth raping hot teenagers to death with their razor tongues.

The Box Office- Should get second place this weekend. Most of your friends who see it will agree that it was pretty good, but kind of stupid since it wasn’t really an “Alien” movie like they thought it would be. If you are even somewhat curious after seeing the trailer, even with that obnoxious ass noise, you should make this one your top priority this weekend. Your bitch ass girlfriend will still want to see Snow White instead, but you can tell her she doesn’t have to give you oral for a week if you see “Prometheus”. Unless she gives really good head, in which case just bite the bullet so she can bite yours later.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:35 pm

http://www.absolutefiction.com/2012/06/08/prometheus-sci-fis-comeback-roooooocks/#.T9GcrtCK8go.tumblr

Prometheus: Sci-Fi’s Comeback Roooooocks!
June 8th, 2012 | By Rono | 1 Comment »
Prometheus: What happens when you meet your maker? What if your maker wanted you dead?

Prometheus: What happens when you meet your maker? What if your maker wanted you dead?

Once upon a time, the Alien movie showed up what a great Sci-Fi horror story should be. Dark, claustrophobic, scary, with characters who could exist in real life. We had a lot of fun with it. The franchise was launched, and another great director continued the work with another great sequel. Other movies followed some good, some bad. Today, the master of Sci-Fi returns with a prequel to his original tour de force.

A few have given it negative reviews, but I believe I can shed a light on the real value of Prometheus. It is another masterpiece.
The Story (no real spoilers)

Archeologists Elizabeth Shaw (Noomi Rapace) and Charlie Holloway (Logan Marshall-Green) discover evidence that several earth cultures, with no connections between each other, were worshiping giant humanoid beings who seem to be coming from the a star system too far away for them to have researched. The interpreted the murals as an invitation. And so an expedition boards the vessel Prometheus in search of what could be the origins of life on the planet.
Archeologists Elizabeth Shaw (Noomi Rapace) and Charlie Holloway (Logan Marshall-Green) find evidence of aliens' past presence in Earth's history. They think it's an invitation. Disaster ensues.

Archeologists Elizabeth Shaw (Noomi Rapace) and Charlie Holloway (Logan Marshall-Green) find evidence of aliens' past presence in Earth's history. They think it's an invitation. Disaster ensues.

Once arrived, things start going south when they find that those aliens (dubbed Engineers) seem to have not survived some kind of tragedy. The DNA from those creatures turns out to be almost the same as human DNA.

The on-board robot (think medical officer without the title) intentionally infects Dr Holloway with a liquid found in one of several containers found on the alien base. The archeologist develops a deadly disease; he, in turn, infects his colleague and girlfriend Shaw when they have sex. She will have to battle the first “chest buster” to stay alive.

Conflicting interests make for even more complications: Scientists want to answer basic question of origin of life; disappointment there. Meredith Vickers (Charlize Theron) wants to inherit her father’s company and power. Her father Peter Wayland (Guy Pearce) trying to avoid impending death hopes the alien engineers will help him live longer. The alien engineers’ motivations are not entire clear, but their original mission at one point was the destruction of human life on planet earth. A surprise will reveal why this threat still remains very real.

When the crew discover the danger, their priorities must change, otherwise whatever they have left on Earth will end.
The Discussion

A few bad reviews have popped around the net. A case of people not understanding the story and needing to go back to the theater for a second viewing. People, bring a dictionary next time. It helps.
Technology aboard the Prometheus seems more advanced than on-board the ship in the first Alien movie. Sure. So what? CRT screens would feel odd here wouldn't they?

Technology aboard the Prometheus seems more advanced than on-board the ship in the first Alien movie. Sure. So what? CRT screens would feel odd here wouldn't they?

Someone said some characters showed knowledge they had no way of knowing. Prometheus is 2 hours long; the movie the filmmakers wanted to make is usually longer that what the studios want to finance. The editing room sometimes shortens a tad too much. Ridley Scott declared somewhere that this version of the movie was not his cut. He might fix that with the missing scenes in a later Director’s Cut maybe. But in the mean time, I don’t see how this affects the story, since the outcome is logical: the pilot can see the data coming in and is conclusion corresponds to what any person with the minimum insight would deduce.

Some say that the technology displayed in and around the Prometheus spacecraft appears more advanced than what we see around the ship in Alien. Certainly true. But then, for an earth spacecraft, far ahead in the future, Alien showed CRT screens (and monochrome ones at that). So I think the technology aboard the Prometheus is more in tune with what it should have been. Technical. If Prometheus showed technology outdated for us today, wouldn’t if feel weird?

Some say the second half loses some value. I don’t think so. The second half of the movie hastens the pace, because things start tumbling like dominoes when the team learn more and more of the sinister purpose of the installation they stumbled upon.
Resident android aboard the Prometheus, David (Michael Fassbender), finds the target of the alien ship with its deadly cargo: Earth.

Resident android aboard the Prometheus, David (Michael Fassbender), finds the target of the alien ship with its deadly cargo: Earth.

The only episode I did not like much showed two scientists, lost and on their own inside the alien pyramid, stop using their brains and play with what looked like an alien snake, as if it was a cute kitty. Seriously, you find yourself in front of a creature very similar to a cobra, wouldn’t you run in the other direction? I thought so. But, we’ll forgive that.

Some idiot used the work “hentai” in one review. Please, people, put down that porn and get a life. The internet is way more useful than that; I can assure you.
The Pleasure

Observed with one step back, Prometheus retains that typical Alien stamp, and Ridley Scott’s feel to it. And not simply because the team is seen using the same tools as the first movie. We are watching well-defined, believable characters spread on a chess board, trying to stay alive while pursuing their agendas, in a hostile environment.

The first “face hugger” makes its entrance in spectacular fashion. It hugs a little more than the face actually. You’ll love it.

New versions of the alien creatures attack some of the scientists. The indispensable blood acid burns one of them.
Archeologist Elizabeth Shaw (Noomi Rapace) must use every inch of courage left to get rid of an alien creature embedded in her belly

Archeologist Elizabeth Shaw (Noomi Rapace) must use every inch of courage left to get rid of an alien creature embedded in her belly

What started the Alien franchise is alive in this movie. The quality of the screenwriting and the direction delivers a story in which fans can recognize the familiar feel. It’s still Alien, modernized or not. It’s still claustrophobic; albeit a little less. The creatures are powerful, but the humans have the ingenuity and the tenacity to survive.
The Satisfaction

After all they go through, the human team still finds a way to distinguish themselves in difficult situations. What to do when a foreign parasite inhabits your body, causing great pain, and possibly threatens your life in the end? What do you do when an alien entity heads for your planet, with evil intentions, if you will not survive the only way left to stop them? Humans with serious balls finish the job in this story, men and women. I like that.
The surprise: there's more than what they initially thought and Earth is now in real danger of genocide

The surprise: there's more than what they initially thought and Earth is now in real danger of genocide

The ending more than satisfies any sci-fi fan. Anything leading to that end is pure pleasure.

This movie deserves 5 stars.
Well worth the wait.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:37 pm

http://nerdbastards.com/2012/06/08/movie-review-prometheus-isnt-what-you-expected-but-it-deserves-your-respect/

MOVIE REVIEW: ‘Prometheus’ May Not Be the Film You Expected, But It Deserves Your Respect
06-08-12 • Featured, Film, reviews Posted by Matthew Jackson

It’s been argued that you can piece together the entire plot of Prometheus simply by watching the trailers. That’s only half true. On the one hand it’s most certainly a kind of love letter to Alien, another story of a group of people who go searching in space and find something terrifying. But on the other it’s a surprisingly complex sci-fi drama teeming with ambition and big ideas that, while sometimes a little overstuffed, packs plenty of rewards if you’re willing to follow where it leads.

I’m keeping this completely spoiler-free, so you don’t have to worry about reading on. The only bits of plot I’m divulging are things you already know from the trailers and whatnot.

In 2089, archaeologists Elizabeth Shaw (Noomi Rapace) and Charlie Holloway (Logan Marshall-Green) make another in a series of major discoveries while on a dig in Scotland. The image they find – a cave painting of humans worshipping a giant being who’s pointing at a configuration of cosmic bodies – is the same image they’ve found in some form or another in seven different completely unconnected ancient civilizations. Their theory: life on Earth came courtesy of alien visitors.

Four years later, the pair leads an expedition onboard the starship Prometheus to a planet that matches the configuration in the ancient drawings, in an effort to prove that we did indeed come from the stars. Among their companions are Meredith Vickers (Charlize Theron) a representative of the Weyland Corporation, which funded the trip, David (Michael Fassbender), an android created by the late Peter Weyland (Guy Pearce), and Janek (Idris Elba), a no-nonsense captain who just drives the ship, thank you very much.

And that’s as far as I go with the details, friends. They land, they find things, those things aren’t necessarily very nice.

The most obvious praise I can give the film is something you already know from the trailers: it looks incredible. It feels like Ridley Scott has been dreaming up magnificent sci-fi vistas for 30 years just waiting for the right movie to put them in, but the stunning shots in Prometheus never feel forced. They’re all organic to the story, so much so that in a great many sequences you could turn off the sound and it would still be a completely coherent film. Though there are a few visual homages to Alien, Prometheus is much more kinetic in its visual construction. It doesn’t have that slow, quiet, Kubrickian patience that Alien did, but it doesn’t need it. Scott’s found a new visual dynamic, and here he wields it masterfully.

The cast is not spectacular, but they are strong enough to compel us to keep watching them. Rapace is ostensibly the star, but Fassbender steals all of his scenes with a layered, surprising performance as David. Theron relishes the darkness of Vickers, and Elba, though slightly flimsy at times with his Southern accent, is clearly having fun.

The script by Damon Lindelof (Lost, Star Trek) and Jon Spaihts (The Darkest Hour) is among the more ambitious stories attempted by an FX-heavy, big-budget flick in recent years. Each of the principal characters is given weight with a personal struggle, from Shaw’s deep-rooted faith to Vickers’ cynicism to David’s polite but shadowy agenda. It makes even the scenes without alien horrors hum with a sense of scope. There’s always something going on. No scenes are wasted on attempting to make us laugh or catch us off-guard for a cheap thrill. It’s a film stuffed with plot.

It’s also a film stuffed with big ideas, things well beyond the whole “ancient aliens” thing that we get up front. Here you’ll find questions about the nature of belief, the defining characteristics of humanity, the validity of immortality and, yes, even the meaning of life. And it’s here that we have to talk about what was, for me, the film’s only failing.

It’s not that these ideas aren’t done well. They are. There’s no corniness or over-indulgence or reliance on melodrama or cheap exposition to make any of it work. The problem is that at times there’s just too much. The plot is hurtling forward and new developments are snaking out at you like tentacles, and before you can wrap your head around one big concept, you’re forced to simultaneously grapple with another one. As a result the film can occasionally feel jarring and messy, but honestly that’s OK. If my only real criticism of a film is that it was too ambitious, odds are that’s still a pretty damn good movie.

Now I have to talk about the ending without, you know, actually talking about the ending. I’m obviously not going to tell you how this ill-fated journey to find humanity’s originators will pay off, but I will say it’s bound to divide some fans. I will also say that Lindelof, Scott and Spaihts stayed true to their story. They were brave, they didn’t go the predictable route, and even if you walk out of the theatre cursing their names (I’m not saying you will, so settle down.) you have to at least show them respect.

Though it has a few flaws, and it doesn’t quite reach the masterwork level of Alien, Prometheus is a daring, visually glorious work of science fiction cinema. Ridley Scott hasn’t lost his touch. He’s taking new risks and exploring new worlds, and 30 years after his last visit to his genre the results are still stunning.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:38 pm

solwat:

Some quick words on Prometheus, and lo, I shall never speak of it again (for it is a film that deserves not to be spoiled, especially by slackwordsmiths such as I).

I loved it, but obviously I’m not the endword on filmic perfection. So, I’ll just address what I think was missed by so many reviewers (yeah, they missed the point. MISSED IT.)

What particularly stood out in a large number negative reviews is how an extensive pre-marketing campaign spoiled the overall experience.

So, my thoughts.

Ridley Scott makes cinematic films. And of course, that’s an oxymoron ‘coz all films (theoretically) are cinematic - but his universes are so terrifically wide in scope that they often a) drag on or b) are panned by large swathes of audiences. In a modern media setting, Ridley has the opportunity to illustrate many elements of backstory outside of the cinema.

And oh how he did.

I hate to use bullshit buzzwords like ‘transmedia’ (unless I’m using them at work), but that’s what it comes down to - Ridley goes cross medium, drops all kinds of glorious fun nuggets and delivers sci-fi that is simultaneously consumer friendly and fanboy fantastic.

People might hate it. Claim that films should exist as films and not as anything more than that - but in a flagging market, there has to be something that explodes the experience. Maybe Ridley Scott nailed that, maybe he didn’t, but either way - Prometheus is glorious.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:40 pm

hefishwhowasoutofwater:

Films Seen in 2012 073/365

Prometheus (2012, Ridley Scott)

The thing that mesmerized me about this film is that immediately after I walked out of the theater, I was hungry for more; I wanted to sit back down and watch it all over again. In the theater and at home, this rarely happens anymore. The only films that left me awe struck enough (like this) would have to be the likes of: District 9 (2009), Inception (2010), Halloween (1978), Chinatown (1974), Zodiac (2007), No Country for Old Men (2007), Blade Runner (1982), The Dark Knight (2008), Memento (2000), American Psycho (2001), Rosemary’s Baby (1968), One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1978), and The Graduate (1962).

This film was epic in its scale and its ambition. It showcased some pitch perfect performances from the likes of the girl with the dragon tattoo, Noomi Rapace (who shines as bright as Sigourney Weaver did in the original Alien), Charlize Theron (who is always welcome and brings about this sexy professionalism to the film), Idris Elba (who rocks the titular ship with some strong confidence and a bravado that cannot be out shined). Two other performances that I was particularly fond of were Guy Pearce as Weyland (the authority he came up with along with how he held his own as an extremely old man was great) and Patrick Wilson in his brief cameo as Shaw’s father (he’s always welcome in my book).

The performance I could not get away with not mentioning would be that of Michael Fassbender’s David. Fassbender, a rising star who is taking Hollywood by storm (as well as my favorite actors list) takes this role and tears it up. Every scene he is in is genius; he owns every shot. He graces the screen with every androgenic movement and he gets about every great line of dialogue in this film. I couldn’t get enough of him in this.

The visual grandeur of this picture is immensely beautiful. Scott and his crew take you to this foreign place that makes it hard to believe that you’re in a movie theater until the film is over. Where every shot is presented with this chilling and haunting beauty, the sound design echoes in the background and intensifies the experience. I’m not one to focus on how a film sounds, but me and the friend that I went with noticed just how spot on the sound was in the theater; it helped take us to this world.

Marc Streitenfeld’s score looms perfectly in the background with the rest of the sound; its peaceful, elegant, and forceful all at the same time. It lends to this films unique feel in a way that I couldn’t any other composer doing this justice, unless it was perhaps Jerry Goldsmith.

Being a newcomer and proud new fan of the Alien franchise (and Ridley Scott) I didn’t feel any sort of disappointment with this film. Granted, I haven’t been waiting for something like this for 33 years, but I took it for what it was. Scott was right in stating that this only shared DNA with Alien but there are enough Easter Eggs and cool allusions to the science fiction film that started it all. I left the theater awe struck and full of questions. These weren’t questions that made me frustrated with the filmmakers, these were sociological and philosophical questions that spark up great conversation. This film makes you think about well… a lot. Its just brilliant.

Mixing fantastic visuals, fabulous sound design and art direction, extraordinarily restrained and provocative direction, eye watering cinematography, and pitch perfect performances all add up to create the fantastic and truly ingenious science fiction epic that is Prometheus. I could not be any happier with what was put up on the big screen last night and I absolutely can not wait for what Mr. Scott and crew have in store for us next.

5/5.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:41 pm

vicksflicks:
Prometheus.

Ridley Scott’s much anticipated alien prequel has landed, and unfortunately hasn’t left much of an impact; Not on me anyway.

The initial scene looks stunning (even if it does seem to be screaming LOOK AT WHAT WE CAN DO WITH TECHNOLOGY SINCE 1979!) and the first half an hour or so are interesting. Then it fizzles into nothingness, with an ending that makes the entire film futile.

It’s a shame really, because the cast has so much potential; essentially every single actor has shown a vast ammount of charisma in other projects, but here they’re left to work with very thinly written characters and none of them have personalities.

There’s no time for character development when there’s a million different aliens to discover, which makes you wonder why they forked out for big names like Theron when every single character is as souless as Fassbender’s robot, David.

Some bits are ok; the sets are impressive, the aliens are cool and in classic Alien form there’s a brilliantly grim birth scene.

Aside from that, it’s a distinctly average/below average sci fi that asks lots of questions then infuriatingly answers none. And the ending is annoying as f&#!. A dissapointment.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:42 pm

johnnycaseinwonderland:
Prometheus Unbound . . . finally.

I saw Ridley Scott’s highly anticipated and much hyped Prometheus in a full theatre Saturday night and what’s cool about that is it’s an “event” movie—a film folks have been getting increasingly excited about for a long time—and there’s nothing quite like seeing a film like this on opening weekend, whether it’s The Avengers, or a Twilight film, or one of the many installments of the Harry Potter franchise. But this was supposed to be something different, above and beyond the norm: an epic sci-fi action film with a brain beneath its stunning sheen, à la Inception. But while it’s a movie with aspirations to high-mindedness, in the end its messy narrative is a superfluous bauble—pseudo theological quasi scientific gobbledy gook that gets crushed under the weight of its own pretensions, which was perhaps to be expected given that its script was co-written (with Jon Spaihts) by Lost co-creator and showrunner Damon Lindelof. Still, if you can put aside how ultimately silly it is (and I tend to suspend my disbelief in the parking lot), it’s a hell of a lot of fun. It moves along crisply, a rarity in this day and age of blockbusters with near three hour run times, and it looks unbelievably spectacular and Michael Fassbender is fantastic. More importantly, it’s huge in all the right cinematic ways, making it a movie that can only really be experienced in all its grandeur on the big screen, and so even though it won’t stay with me, I’m certainly glad I saw it. That said, man, I can’t wait for Moonrise Kingdom to get here. I need a break from the blockbuster onslaught and it’s not even mid June yet.
#Prometheus #Ridley Scott #Moonrise K
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:42 pm

thesultanofsarcasm:
"Prometheus" review (SPOILERS)

Yesterday, I had to chance to check out Ridley Scott’s highly anticipated film, “Prometheus”. Of all the 2012 films, I would probably say this film is second only to “The Dark Knight Rises” for the movie I was most excited to see. I’m a huge fan of “Alien”, and I was really anxious to see Ridley Scott return to the same familiar world. Even though comparisons to “Alien” are inevitable, I try to view the film more as a separate piece with a connection here and there to the world of “Alien”. Whereas, “Alien” was more of a horror film set in space, “Prometheus” is more of a grandiose science fiction piece with horrific moments.

In the beginning of the film, we see one of the characters who would later be referred to as an Engineer drinking a concoction (primordial juice perhaps?) which ultimately kills him as he dives over a cliff. This opening scene could very well be the terraforming of humanity/Earth as the Engineer makes the selfless sacrifice to offer himself in order to create life. This Engineer does look vastly different than the Engineer we would come upon later towards the end of the movie. Perhaps, the Engineers are split off into different factions. Maybe, there is one side that is for the creation of humanity while there is another side that are vehemently against it. There is a ship of Engineers watching this from a distance (probably studying the results) and from the visuals of the opening credits, it could be theorized that this is where humanity originated from.

After the credits, in 2089, Elizabeth Shaw and Charlie Holloway come upon a star map from various ancient civilizations. They deduce that the Engineers are inviting mankind to meet them. Peter Weyland, funds the expedition for the vessel, Prometheus to journey to the moon, LV-223 (not LV-426, Alien fans). Early on, the audience comes upon Peter’s “son”, David, who is an android. During the crew’s two year hypersleep, David has studied various languages in order to communicate with the Engineers if they do encounter them.

Upon arrival, the explorers investigate and come upon the body of one of the Engineers. David takes one of the cylinders that is at the site, and the rest of the cylinders begin to ooze a black liquid. While there is a match with the human/Engineer blood, David decides to conduct an experiment of his own, by directly infecting Charlie with the liquid. Charlie and Elizabeth have sex, which leads to Elizabeth being impregnated (which she deemed impossible).

This leads to perhaps one of the most intense scenes I’ve seen in a movie in forever, with Elizabeth having an impromptu surgery performed on herself. She has her abdomen opened up and the alien larvae removed from her. It is definitely for not the squeamish.

Later, as the audience realizes that elderly Weyland is indeed alive, and his goals are completely selfish (he is seeking the gift of immortality to preserve himself), the remaining crew go to meet the Engineer that is still alive (whom David found earlier). This leads to the Engineer beheading David and killing everyone else, except for Elizabeth. Thankfully, Elizabeth is able to convince the ship’s captain, Janek (played by the impeccable Idris Elba) to sacrifice Prometheus in a kamikaze mission with the Engineer ship in order to save Earth.

The Engineer is able to survive the crash and comes looking for Elizabeth but is greeted by the giant alien that Elizabeth extracted earlier. That alien then becomes the prototype for the xenomorph we would see in the later Alien film series.

Michael Fassbender steals the movie as David, a synthetic with many intriguing personality traits including his inherent curiosity. This curiosity leads to his resent of his creators. My favorite scene of the film is his discussion with Charlie about why he was created. Charlie dismissively responds, “We made you because we could.” David asks Charlie how would it feel to hear that from the Engineers who created man. Even though, David’s curiosity lead to many chaotic moments, one could not help but empathize or be taken with the character.

In the end, it is lead ambiguous what David exactly said to the Engineer. In fact, many things are left ambiguous. There is no answer why the Engineers created man or why they now wanted to exterminate mankind. My answer comes from the aforementioned dialogue with Charlie and David. They did because “they could.” Nothing more and nothing less needs to be said. Perhaps in the end, the Engineers viewed humanity as a disappointment and like a parent being disappointed in their child, they felt mankind needed to be reprimanded. And that punishment is extermination. That would explain their need to use LV-223 as a military base to test this new weapon.

It could be that the Engineers are having a civil war and some Engineers have gone rogue and want to destroy their creations. It is all theorized and not explained. I’m perfectly fine with that. To those who say this movie ruins the mythology of what was set up in “Alien”, I say nonsense. Most of the mythology in “Alien” was all ambiguous and up to interpretation anyway. The Dark Horse Alien comics are great but cannot be considered canon. We see the evolution of the Alien here in this film, and in a way, as the Engineers created man, humanity inadvertently created the xenomorph. So, when you watch Ripley in the Alien series, we are watching her destroy the children of man. I think that’s a fascinating new way to look at things.

Visually, this movie is stunning and one of Ridley’s most awe-inspiring works. You cannot take your eyes of the worlds and universe that he has visualized. Thematically, I love the movie. I can understand criticism from some who wanted more answers and came in with the Alien comparisons, but I say leave those at the door. This movie is less about answers and more of a cautionary tale. Don’t go looking for the answers of why, because you will ultimately not like the answer.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:44 pm

thesultanofsarcasm:
"Prometheus" review (SPOILERS)

Yesterday, I had to chance to check out Ridley Scott’s highly anticipated film, “Prometheus”. Of all the 2012 films, I would probably say this film is second only to “The Dark Knight Rises” for the movie I was most excited to see. I’m a huge fan of “Alien”, and I was really anxious to see Ridley Scott return to the same familiar world. Even though comparisons to “Alien” are inevitable, I try to view the film more as a separate piece with a connection here and there to the world of “Alien”. Whereas, “Alien” was more of a horror film set in space, “Prometheus” is more of a grandiose science fiction piece with horrific moments.

In the beginning of the film, we see one of the characters who would later be referred to as an Engineer drinking a concoction (primordial juice perhaps?) which ultimately kills him as he dives over a cliff. This opening scene could very well be the terraforming of humanity/Earth as the Engineer makes the selfless sacrifice to offer himself in order to create life. This Engineer does look vastly different than the Engineer we would come upon later towards the end of the movie. Perhaps, the Engineers are split off into different factions. Maybe, there is one side that is for the creation of humanity while there is another side that are vehemently against it. There is a ship of Engineers watching this from a distance (probably studying the results) and from the visuals of the opening credits, it could be theorized that this is where humanity originated from.

After the credits, in 2089, Elizabeth Shaw and Charlie Holloway come upon a star map from various ancient civilizations. They deduce that the Engineers are inviting mankind to meet them. Peter Weyland, funds the expedition for the vessel, Prometheus to journey to the moon, LV-223 (not LV-426, Alien fans). Early on, the audience comes upon Peter’s “son”, David, who is an android. During the crew’s two year hypersleep, David has studied various languages in order to communicate with the Engineers if they do encounter them.

Upon arrival, the explorers investigate and come upon the body of one of the Engineers. David takes one of the cylinders that is at the site, and the rest of the cylinders begin to ooze a black liquid. While there is a match with the human/Engineer blood, David decides to conduct an experiment of his own, by directly infecting Charlie with the liquid. Charlie and Elizabeth have sex, which leads to Elizabeth being impregnated (which she deemed impossible).

This leads to perhaps one of the most intense scenes I’ve seen in a movie in forever, with Elizabeth having an impromptu surgery performed on herself. She has her abdomen opened up and the alien larvae removed from her. It is definitely for not the squeamish.

Later, as the audience realizes that elderly Weyland is indeed alive, and his goals are completely selfish (he is seeking the gift of immortality to preserve himself), the remaining crew go to meet the Engineer that is still alive (whom David found earlier). This leads to the Engineer beheading David and killing everyone else, except for Elizabeth. Thankfully, Elizabeth is able to convince the ship’s captain, Janek (played by the impeccable Idris Elba) to sacrifice Prometheus in a kamikaze mission with the Engineer ship in order to save Earth.

The Engineer is able to survive the crash and comes looking for Elizabeth but is greeted by the giant alien that Elizabeth extracted earlier. That alien then becomes the prototype for the xenomorph we would see in the later Alien film series.

Michael Fassbender steals the movie as David, a synthetic with many intriguing personality traits including his inherent curiosity. This curiosity leads to his resent of his creators. My favorite scene of the film is his discussion with Charlie about why he was created. Charlie dismissively responds, “We made you because we could.” David asks Charlie how would it feel to hear that from the Engineers who created man. Even though, David’s curiosity lead to many chaotic moments, one could not help but empathize or be taken with the character.

In the end, it is lead ambiguous what David exactly said to the Engineer. In fact, many things are left ambiguous. There is no answer why the Engineers created man or why they now wanted to exterminate mankind. My answer comes from the aforementioned dialogue with Charlie and David. They did because “they could.” Nothing more and nothing less needs to be said. Perhaps in the end, the Engineers viewed humanity as a disappointment and like a parent being disappointed in their child, they felt mankind needed to be reprimanded. And that punishment is extermination. That would explain their need to use LV-223 as a military base to test this new weapon.

It could be that the Engineers are having a civil war and some Engineers have gone rogue and want to destroy their creations. It is all theorized and not explained. I’m perfectly fine with that. To those who say this movie ruins the mythology of what was set up in “Alien”, I say nonsense. Most of the mythology in “Alien” was all ambiguous and up to interpretation anyway. The Dark Horse Alien comics are great but cannot be considered canon. We see the evolution of the Alien here in this film, and in a way, as the Engineers created man, humanity inadvertently created the xenomorph. So, when you watch Ripley in the Alien series, we are watching her destroy the children of man. I think that’s a fascinating new way to look at things.

Visually, this movie is stunning and one of Ridley’s most awe-inspiring works. You cannot take your eyes of the worlds and universe that he has visualized. Thematically, I love the movie. I can understand criticism from some who wanted more answers and came in with the Alien comparisons, but I say leave those at the door. This movie is less about answers and more of a cautionary tale. Don’t go looking for the answers of why, because you will ultimately not like the answer.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:28 pm

http://karina-mundanerambling.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Michael%20Fassbender

Monday, 4 June 2012
Prometheus - spoiler free

I had avoided all promotion, publicity and spoilers for Prometheus as I wanted to go into the cinema on opening day completely blind. It was a complete 180 turnaround from The Avengers as with each passing tv spot I had practically watched the film before it was released.

PLOT: Elizabeth Shaw (Noomi Rapace) and Charlie Holloway (Logan Marshall-Green) find a sequence of unrelated cave paintings which suggests the answer to the origins of mankind may be found on a distant planet. The scientists join a crew of explorers and set off to find the planet. Once they arrive there are more questions than answers as they stumble upon something which requires me to go back and watch the film again to understand it fully (ever the professional). END PLOT

The pace of the plotting is slow yet engaging but only up to a point. I have never been a fan of films that attempt to explore the creation of mankind as they ultimately leave the question open to allow for “viewer interpretation” however in Prometheus it wreaks of “how the hell should I know but the movie is already over two hours long so let’s just wrap it up and leave it up to viewer interpretation – or the sequel”.

The film ended with so many questions you just have to question the strength of the writing. I have no problem with open ended films but it just felt that Prometheus was too vague to be considered clever or thought provoking.

Although the storyline left a lot to be desired there were many other aspects of the film which saved it. The cast were exceptional for the most part with Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender being the unsurprising standouts although it has to be noted that their characters were the only two that the film attempted to flesh out.

Charlize Theron was fine however her character was ultimately pointless. If Meredith Vickers was removed completely there would be no gap to fill. Vicker’s revelation towards the end of the film was so cheesy it induced neck muscle straining levels of cringe.

Idris Elba, although as effortless as ever, wins the award for the most unnecessary American Accent of the year and the rest of the cast are all vaguely familiar from somewhere (Sunshine and minor Game of Thrones roles).

The film looks as gorgeous as you would expect – it was dark, atmospheric and simply stunning.

The effects and set pieces, although sometimes lacking in tension, were well executed however there was no grand finale, or if there was, I was underwhelmed.

The poorest effect was probably the most basic – Guy Piece being aged looked awful and he reminded me of a very old Bill Tannen gone wrong.

I like my sci-fi slow moving and atmospheric and Prometheus did fit the bill perfectly but it has also left me cold and I cannot explain why. It is most definitely a film that needs to be watched a couple of times to be appreciated so I will check it out again on dvd. Prometheus gets decent first viewing score of 7.5/10. It just lacked something but I’d be dammed if I know what it was.

I would not be unhappy if James Cameron rocked up with the Marines for Prometheus’s, Prometheus’, Prome2heus, Promethei, the sequel.

PS – the Alien references are there and blatantly obvious but you can find them for yourselves!
Posted by Karina Bamber at 12:43
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:51 am

http://lipstickgossiplady.blogspot.ie/2012/06/prometheus-is-horrifically-fantastic.html

Monday, 25 June 2012
Prometheus is horrifically fantastic!
I went to the cinema to see 'Prometheus' and I didn't really know what to expect. I knew it was a sci fi film about Aliens, there was a mountain of hype around it and that Michael Fassbender is the robot in it. A reason alone to go and see it. Basically... A team of explorers discover a clue to the origins of mankind on Earth, leading them on a journey to the darkest corners of the universe. There, they must fight a terrifying battle to save the future of the human race. Prometheus is directed by Ridley Scott. It is without doubt the big Summer Blockbuster. Even the harshest film critics are singing it's praises - no mean feat.

It was magnificent. I am not going to say too much because I hate reading reviews that dish out all the best bits, but to sum the film up I would call it a bad-ass Avatar with more violence and without the neon pretty Pandora setting. Instead grit and darkness create a more aesthetic believable plain - it pulls away the idea of Aliens looking your friendly neighborhood ET. In saying that this film is not for the faint hearted.

I watched Prometheus in Cineworld in Dublin and I felt the need to indulge in their heavenly ice cream. With my Ben and Jerry's core sundae I received a complementary shovel spoon.

I don't know which was more grotesque - the scariness on screen or my date watching me shovel ice-cream in to my mouth! Very attractive. At one stage I jumped and spilt caramel on myself. Prometheus is sneaky like that - serious jumpy moments. I had popcorn down my back from the couple behind me jumping and shrieking. I was lucky enough to interview the handsome Michael Fassbender @ the IFTA's in February. He talked about sexy racy fight scenes and much more... He picks such versatile roles from a Spartan in war movie '300' to a spy in 'Inglorious Bastards'. The prodigy is without dispute Ireland's best export!!!

Check out the radio interview :
Click here to listen to an EXCLUSIVE interview with Prometheus actor Michael Fassbender

'Prometheus' is now in theatres!! Go check it out - You won't be disappointed
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3