Michael Fassbender Fans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top News
WE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT MICHAEL-AN AWARD WINNING ACTOR

Congratulations to the cast and crew of "12 Years a Slave" winning an Oscar for Best Picture

Michael is currently filming "MacBeth"

Watch "12 Years A Slave" and "Frank" in theaters

Watch "The Counselor" and "12 Years A Slave" on DVD available now

Michael is set to star and produce on a film version of the video game "Assassin's Creed"

Completed projects: X-Men, Untitled Malik project

Upcoming projects Assassin's Creed, Prometheus 2, MacBeth,and more!

Header credit here

MFmultiply's Disclaimer

Order region 1 dvds-Amazon store

Order region 2-UK dvds-Amazon Shoppe

Please check the calender for films on TV, Theater, or dvd releases
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Michael's movies make top movie lists of the year and decade

2 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Michael's movies make top movie lists of the year and decade - Page 5 Empty Re: Michael's movies make top movie lists of the year and decade

Post by Admin Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:52 am

http://felicelog.blogspot.com/2010/01/top-ten-favorite-agatha-christie-movies.html

Sunday, January 10, 2010
Top Ten Favorite AGATHA CHRISTIE Movies

Once, I had posted a list of my favorite Agatha Christie novels. Here is a list of my favorite movies (theatrical or television) based upon one of the author's novels:

Top Ten Favorite AGATHA CHRISTIE Movies

7. "After the Funeral" (2006) - I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this adaptation of Christie's novel about the murderous aftermath following the death of the patriarch of a wealthy family. The revelation of the murderer will surprise you. David Suchet is excellent, as always, as Poirot. Geraldine James, Michael Fassbender and Lucy Punch co-star.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Michael's movies make top movie lists of the year and decade - Page 5 Empty Re: Michael's movies make top movie lists of the year and decade

Post by Admin Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:58 am

http://kathiesmith.blogspot.com/2009/01/best-of-2009-movies.html

Monday, January 11, 2010
Best of 2009: Movies
As with most years, I spent the beginning of 2009 catching up on the best of 2008. Most notably, these included Che, in its full 4 1/2 hour theatrical splendor, Waltz With Bashir and Wendy and Lucy—all three more than worthy of year end list making and revelry that has already past. And as 2009 blurs into 2010, so does the marker for championing the year's best films, so I'll give it my best shot as things stand today. For the first time in a very long time, the hubbub at this years Cannes Film Festival was not only, well, worth the hubbub, but also, in the case of Inglourious Basterds and Antichrist, released on these very shores in the same year. (Thank you IFC and the Weinsteins.) Love 'em or hate 'em, it turns out Lars von Trier and Quentin Tarantino have more than just bloated egos in their bag of tricks. The arthouse bad boy revolution certainly made waves in 2009, but I'm glad to say that a handful of female filmmakers made their own waves almost regardless of controversy, or lack there of. None of these women stood up to a microphone and said, "I am the best film director in the world," but instead allowed their craft speak for itself. Kathryn Bigelow (The Hurt Locker), Agnes Varda (The Beaches of Agnes) and Claire Denis (35 Shots of Rum) are not only linked by their gender, but also by turning in three of the best films of the year. The rest of the films that rocked my 2009 were the ones found in the nooks and crannies of film distribution. Often unheralded, misunderstood and underappreciated, these are the films that I live for and thankfully found their way to me despite the circumstances of time, place and wacked sense of film appreciation at large. Minneapolis is the center of my world and, with the exception of one in NYC, here is a bakers dozen of top films, alphabetically, that I found in my fair city in one form or another:

Hunger directed by Steve McQueen
March 27, Walker Art Center
Hunger was another late arrival in the Twin Cities, and although much ink was spilled last year in praise of Hunger, on the eve of its February 16 Criterion DVD and Blu-Ray release, it is worth restating how amazing this film is. Steve McQueen's debut film about the Irish nationalist Bobby Sands who died during a hunger strike is raw and brutal. Amongst the s$#!, urine and blood, McQueen offers a film of startling visual beauty that is unsettling, to say the least. Taking place almost entirely within the walls of a prison, Hunger first introduces the situation, then Sands' moral quandary and finally his wasting away. Michael Fassbender's performance as Sands is captivating, and his talent only becomes more apparent the more we see of him (Inglourious Basterds, Fish Tank.) Comparisons to The Passion of the Christ and allusions to Abu Ghraib are warranted, but Hunger stands on its own as a powerful piece of art.
(Hunger comes out on DVD and Blu-Ray next month from the good people at Criterion.)

Inglourious Basterds directed by Quentin Tarantino
August 21, AMC Roseville
At the end of Quentin Tarantino's piece de resistance, Lt. Aldo Raine (Brad Pitt) looks straight into the camera and says, "You know somethin', Utivich? I think this might just be my masterpiece." He is of course talking about the swastika he has just carved into Col. Hans Landa's, the Jew hunter's, forehead, but the screen may as well be a mirror and Raine may as well be Tarantino. Inglourious Basterds may very well be Tarantino's masterpiece, but anyone who can pull off such a grand production with such poise, deft and clever ingenuity surely has more talent to spare. The bar is set incredibly high with the first chapter, "Once upon a time...in Nazi-Occupied France." A battle of wills between a French farmer and a German officer is perfectly scripted and paced. Denis Menochet's half moon eyes transform from those of defiance to despair as the sequence breaks into a full-blown Wagner-like eruption. Inglourious Basterds is full of moments that are damn near brilliant in their detail: the sickening sound of Christoph Waltz's teeth on his fork as he enjoys strudel; Brad Pitt's perfectly cadenced drawl; the absurd characterizations of Hitler, Goebbels and Churchill. Although the film loses some of its power when Tarentino goes overboard with Mélanie Laurent's music video in the fifth act, it does nothing to reduce the awe-inspiring catharsis of bullet riddled Nazi's. Cinema as it should be: grand, smart and incredibly entertaining.
(Now out on DVD and Blu-Ray and enjoying a second run at some theaters.)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:05 am

http://insufficientspace.wordpress.com/2010/01/11/top-movies-of-the-decade/

Top Movies of the Decade
January 11, 2010

Below are what I chose to be the best movies of the decade. I’ve cut down through a massive amount of movies I enjoyed to bring you my 50. I also have 4 movies that just missed out and I think deserve a mention. Also, if you go by Australian release dates, The Insider would have easily been included in this list but I saw it in December 1999 so I can’t count it.

Anyways, click the “keep reading” link to see my list of the best movies of the decade.

Title: Inglourious Basterds

Director: Quentin Tarantino

Writer: Quentin Tarantino

Cast: Brad Pitt, Christoph Waltz, Michael Fassbender, Eli Roth, Diane Krüger, Daniel Brühl, Til Schweiger, Mélanie Laurent

Why: Contains some of the best moments in cinema. The dialogue in the opening scene, as well as the bar scene. Christoph Waltz’s acting.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:20 am

http://www.filmnet.com/blog/2010/01/12/the-best-movies-of-2009/

FilmNet's Twitter Feed

The Year in Film – 2009
January 12th, 2010 by MiamiMovieCritic in Movie Reviews

Best Films

1. Inglourious Basterds
2. Hunger
3. Adventureland
4. Drag Me to Hell
5. Fantastic Mr. Fox
6. Public Enemies
7. Coraline
8. Ponyo
9. Thirst
10. The Hangover

Best Director

Winner:
Quentin Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds

Honorable Mentions:
Lars Von Trier, Antichrist
James Cameron, Avatar
Neill Blomkamp, District 9
Steve McQueen, Hunger
Best Actor

Winner:
Willem Dafoe, Antichrist

Honorable Mentions:
Joseph Gordon-Levitt, (500) Days of Summer
Sharlto Copley, District 9
Michael Fassbender, Hunger
Matt Damon, The Informant!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:19 am

http://gatogrande.blogspot.com/2010/01/favorite-films-of-2009.html

Favorite Films of 2009
Tuesday, January 12, 2010
I always try to write my favorite films list last simply because most of the prestige pictures don't come out until after the year is out. It's a sad fact of movies, especially to us Alaskans. We're subjected to delays upon the already delayed nature of those movies.

What does that mean for my list? Well, before I get to my favorite films of 2009 list I'll list out the movies that would likely be contenders for my list. Also, the movies that just missed the cut are below.

3. Inglourious Basterds (Written and directed by Quentin Tarantino)

Why It's #3: If you've seen this movie you know why it deserves to be near the top of everyone's Best of 2009 list. This is Quentin Tarantino at his very best, as he manages to make a film that doesn't fall in love with its own voice and is incredible assured, yet is still incredibly cool and badass. I mean come on, this movie features a number of different stories at the beginning (the Basterds, Hans Landa and his quest to be the biggest badass ever, Shosanna and her revenge, Frederick Zoller and his quest to make Shosanna love him) that all converge at the end for a completely awesome finale. Even the chapter's name is fantastic - Revenge of the Giant Face. How is that not awesome?

I do want to note: while everyone in the cast is great, from Brad Pitt to Diane Kruger to Daniel Bruhl to Michael Fassbender to Mélanie Laurent, they are all greatly overshadowed. Christoph Waltz dominates this film as Hans Landa in a way that is rarely thought possible. His creation is one of the greatest villains I've ever seen, as he is fiercely intelligent, wildly unpredictable, despicable, and strangely hilarious. Every scene he is in is appreciably better than the ones that surround it, and to me, if he doesn't win the Best Supporting Actor Oscar they might as well simply stop the festivities because that would delegitimize the whole experience.

Amazingly enough too, this movie gets better every time I watch it. And I LOVED it the first time. To quote Tony Shalhoub in Galaxy Quest, that's a hell of a thing.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:34 am

http://theendlessroadtrip.blogspot.com/2010/01/2008.html

Method Actor Award: Michael Fassbender / Hunger - not only starved himself but also lived with Liam Cunningham for several days so they could work on their scene.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 am

http://www.moviefanhouse.com/?p=699

16. Inglourious Basterds, Directed by Quentin Tarantino, Released 21 August 2009

Quentin Tarantino makes his second appearance on this list with his epic romanticism of World War II. Wholly inaccurate and relishing in its in absurdity, Basterds brilliantly subverts the mostly reverent series of World War II films that have come before it. A cast including Brad Pitt, Michael Fassbender and the now famous Christoph Waltz make this film a joy to watch for the performances alone. And if there is a better opening sequence that has been shot this decade, I most definitely have not seen it.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:14 am

http://loscampesinos.com/2010/01/11/my-films-of-the-year-last-year/

My Films of the Year! (Last Year)
January 11, 2010, 4:40 pm

Here in no particular order is my fail safe opinionated and completely flawed list of films I enjoyed the most last year. There are a lot of films I did not see, so for all “A Serious Man” and “Antichrist” lovers IM SORRY I DIDNT GET AROUND TO WATCHING THEM! They are on my ilovefilm list, honest. There are also some films missing which I thought were okay, but did not find them as effecting as others, e.g “Let The Right One In” and “Up” but that doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy them, it just means I am a heartless bitch. Also my memory sucks so I probably left loads out too.

Inglorious Basterds

This film got bafflingly average reviews despite the fact it is a complete return to form after the film about Kirk Russel killing women WITH HIS CAR!

The acting displayed from Christoph Waltz would make Daniel Day Lewis weep into his cobblers shoes, and the scene in which the “Basterds” are undercover in the German bar….I was literally hanging off my seat, about to fall unto the floor, gripping the chair of the arm scared…..it was unrelentingly good. Even my mum liked it, and her favorite film is “Shirley Valentine.”

Hunger

I love Michael Fassbender very hard as well, and this biopic of political prisoner and hunger strike participant Bobby Sands is a uneasy viewing experience… he was also great in the disturbing “Eden Lake.”
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:09 am

http://alflim.info/100-greatest-film-themes

21- Hunger (2008)

Directed by Steve McQueen

Genre: Bio-pic

Renowned English video artist Steve McQueen’s feature film debut Hunger, is an alternately harrowing and poetic take on the fatal 1982 hunger strike of Irish Republican Army prisoner Bobby Sands. There are long stretches without dialogue in McQueen’s visually stunning wide-screen movie where the camera is always-in-motion. However the best scene in Hunger comes when McQueen sets aside his artistic eye for a 20-minute long steady take turning it into a two-person character piece. Michael Fassbender’s physical commitment to the role is frightning and outdoes even Christian Bale in The Machinist (in terms of weight loss) and ultimately Hunger is a cinematic punch to the gut. Haunting, brutal, heartbreaking, poignant, and captivating.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:14 pm

http://theconfidentialreport.wordpress.com/2010/01/14/best-of-2009-top-25-films/

24. Fish Tank – Andrea Arnold, UK/Netherlands

A gritty look at the life of fifteen year old Mia and her impoverished life in Essex with her abusive single mother and sister. Arnold’s film follows Mia as her life is turned upside down with the arrival of her Mother’s new boyfriend (played by none other than the always great Michael Fassbender). The film isn’t really new, especially in Britain where directors like Mike Leigh and Ken Loach perfected urban coming to age stories like these, but the film is still well made and features one of the best female performances of the year from unknown, Katie Jarvis. Fessbender also proves he’s one of the great young talents in film today with another great performance.

6. Inglourious Basterds – Quentin Tarantino, USA

A timeless masterpiece or an offensive childish view on one of the biggest moments in history? Maybe a bit of both, but time will tell if it truly lasts. For now though, I’ll say its more of the former. Tarantino’s revisionist WWII film will probably not have changed many minds of his detractors, but I would be lying if I said it wasn’t the director’s greatest achievement this decade.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:26 pm

http://www.reviewstl.com/decades-best-films-2000-to-2009-100-66/

The Decade’s Best: 2000 to 2009, Films #100-66
By Zac Oldenburg ⋅ January 14, 2010 ⋅ Email This Post Email This Post ⋅ Print This Post Print This Post ⋅ Post a comment
Filed Under The Decade's Best

Let it be know that this list is by no means definitive nor correct, just one person’s opinion. The reality of putting together something like this is borderline stupid, put I am going to try none the less. You see, this list isn’t a statement of the decade’s most finely crafted films, nor the most re-watchable, and not even just my favorites, but in actuality is some sort of amalgamation of the three. Everyone has different views, opinions, and ideas on what makes a film great; hell the mood you are in will alter your perception of a film. So don’t sit there thinking I am of the belief that this list is the end all of lists, please agree and disagree, and I hope above all this gets you thinking about film and what makes it great.

Thanks,
Zac

74. Inglourious Basterds

Quentin Tarantino’s WWII epic is not the film he promised for all those ears but is a triumph nonetheless and is likely to climb the ranks of this list as the years go on. A five chapter film that is mostly a series of conversations and not the action packed spectacle the trailers were selling, it is expertly written and acted and features direction that stacks up against anything else in Tarantino’s repertoire. It is astonishing that the man continues to create such vivid and entertaining products every time out and I hope the man never fails. The stars of each of these chapters are all phenomenal, Brad Pitt’s Aldo Raine is endlessly quotable, Mélanie Laurent’s Shoshanna is a heroine for the ages, Michael Fassbender is a star in the making, and Christopher Waltz is worthy of all of his praise; see it.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:01 am

http://the-reel-truth.blogspot.com/2010/01/top-10-films-of-2009.html

Thursday, January 14, 2010
Top 10 Films of 2009

I finally got around to watching the last few I wasn't sure about and finished some minor adjustments to finally get it down. This list went through an absurd amount of edits and restarts, and I still feel like I left a bunch of movies off. What I did, instead of creating a Top 20 or something similar, I created a list of honorable mentions of 2009, or films that were good enough for me to consider putting in the bottom three slots but were ultimately kicked off for the first three films on the current list. All in all, I think 2009 was a very diverse and fun year for movies, despite many of the final ones being somewhat disappointing like The Lovely Bones, Invictus and Nine (The last of which still earns a mention because of the flawless and more-than-impressive below-the-line work.).

5. Inglourious Basterds
If not Tarantino's greatest writing, definitely his most ambitious and audacious film to date. With a cast like Brad Pitt, Diane Kruger, Christoph Waltz and Melanie Laurent, how can you go wrong? Creating a world where conversations are completed with certainty and intelligence, Tarantino's film creates a level of tension using unforgettable dialogue and flawless editing that is more commonly associated with Alfred Hitchcock and often Bryan Singer as well.

4. Fish Tank
A fantastic British coming-of-age film that's told through the life of a teenage girl who's perceptions constantly clash violently with reality, in a world that's neither poor nor middle class. I won't reveal too much about the story but let it be known that the performances by Katie Jarvis and Michael Fassbender (Also in Inglourious Basterds) are astonishing and should be noted as essentials for any aspiring actors. Simply a great film from beginning to end.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:10 am

http://main-shutt.blogspot.com/2010/01/best-of-decade-5-1.html

Best Of The Decade: 5-1
This top 5 should surprise nobody.

INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS

Quentin Tarantino's latest film Inglourious Basterds is one of the most thrilling, suspenseful films I have seen in recent years. It remains unique due to the fact that the suspense is brought along by long stretches of dialogue. This is Tarantino writing as a serious author. His previous two films, Kill Bill and Death Proof, were fun and enjoyable but this is a well-thought and gripping story that draws you in from the opening scene. The first scene, that lasts around 20 minutes, revolves around a Nazi detective named Colonel Hans Landa, played with theatrical charm and perfection by Christoph Waltz, visits a French dairy farmer (Denis Menochet) about hiding Jews. However, Landa cannot simply go in and do a simple search and leave. He has to extend it to a full out performance, breaking the farmer beat by beat. This is one of, if not the best scene Tarantino has written. If this scene was produced as its own short film, it would easily win best short film at the Oscars.

The film then moves on to the next chapter where we meet the "Basterds". They are a group of Jewish-American soldiers who go behind enemy lines in France to brutally murder and scalp as many Nazis as they possibly can. They are led by Lt. Aldo Raine, played with southern shtick by Brad Pitt, who is obviously the comedic frontman in this story. Also in this chapter we are introduced to the maniacal, egotistical, power hungry super villain that is Adolph Hitler (Martin Wukke). He is so far into caricature in his almost secret layer, with his 30 foot tall self portrait along one side of the room. This chapter is really fun and enjoyable, which is an escape from the dramatic tension and suspense that we got in the first chapter.

In the third chapter we are introduced to Shoshana Dreyfus, played by Mélanie Laurent. In the first chapter, her family was massacred by Landa, and she was the only survivor. This is four years later where she is hiding out in Paris under the alias Emmanuelle Mimieux, where she owns a cinema. She is approached by a German soldier (Daniel Brühl) who is smitten with Shoshana and is a cinema lover. We find out the soldier has performed a great exploit for Germany that Joseph Goebbels (Sylvester Groth) decided to make a film about him and chose him to star in it. They decide to hold the premiere of the film at Shoshana's cinema. She decides to burn down the theater during the premiere to get revenge from her family's slaughter.

The fourth chapter we find out that the OSS has a similar plan for the cinema, except instead of burning it down it's blowing it up. The plan was created by a famous German actress/double agent Bridget von Hammersmark (Diane Kruger). She meets with two German-born members of the Basterds and an English film critic who speaks fluent German (Michael Fassbender) in a tavern. This scene, which extends over 30 minutes, is the most suspenseful scene in the film. I do not want to reveal too much about this scene, but it is gripping over something as simple as an accent. The fifth chapter is where the plans are executed and the film wraps up.

The best thing about this film is Christoph Waltz. He plays one of the best on-screen villains that I have ever seen. The man is smart, devious, eccentric, narcissistic, and charming. He is not your typical mustache-twirling Nazi that we get in so many WWII films. Another unique thing about him is that he is a linguistic genius. Throughout the film he speaks German, English, French, and Italian, and he is menacing in any tongues. I could go on and on about how much I love this character, but I will have to move on.

Another great thing is that everyone speaks the language they would speak, whereas other Holocaust films, like The Reader and Defiance, they just have an accent. The marketing sells this as the Brad Pitt Nazi slaughterfest. However, this movie is much more like a slow burn. It is a lot of talking and conversing, with about 45 seconds of action and violent frenzy at the end of the tension that you have during the scene.

Tarantino has crafted another masterclass that is in the ranks of Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. This is also the best movie of 2009 and the decade.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:26 am

http://exexposure.blogspot.com/2009/12/best-films-of-2009.html

Saturday, January 16, 2010
Best Films of 2009
The Academy Awards sent a relatively large ripple through the film industry in 2009 when they announced that there will be ten Best Picture nominees instead of the usual five. Now, this list is not what I think is going to be nominated. Instead, this is simply my ten favourite films of the year, plus the honourable mentions at the end. So sit back and read it if you want, or if you have no interest in such things, maybe you could go and play some basketball or volunteer or something. But that doesn't sound like nearly as much fun. Also, it should be noted that because I am simply an amateur film critic, I don't get the same privileges that people like Roger Ebert and A.O. Scott get, so obviously I haven't seen all the movies I'd have liked to see before making this list, including - but not limited to: The Road, Invictus, The White Ribbon, Crazy Heart, A Single Man and The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. However, I digress, and so here is my list.

1. Inglourious Basterds

Starring: Brad Pitt, Christoph Waltz, Diane Kruger, Eli Roth, Mélanie Laurent, Michael Fassbender, Til Schweiger, Daniel Brühl, Mike Myers, B.J. Novak
Written and directed by Quentin Tarantino

Quentin Tarantino has his diehard fans. Lots of them. Anything he churns out they gobble up and analyze to no end. Ever since his 1992 debut, Reservoir Dogs, he's been both a cult hit and the subject of much critical disagreement. Inglourious Basterds, like every other Tarantino film, was both heavily praised and heavily panned. Granted, there were many that genuinely didn't enjoy it, but there was also many that dismissed it because they simply didn't understand it. Separated into five chapters, Inglourious Basterds tells a variety of stories - from Brad Pitt and his Basterds as they roam Nazi-occupied France in search of Nazis to scalp, to Shosanna (Laurent) and her plan to burn down her own cinema when it's full of many top-tier Nazi officials. As in many of Tarantino's films, all the stories end up connecting, and in a much more effective way than a film like Babel. Christoph Waltz gives the film's best performance as Colonel Hans Landa, and an Oscar nomination and win are anticipated (his main competition will likely be Woody Harrelson and his excellent performance in The Messenger and Matt Damon in Invictus). But the movie itself is appropriately long (but it goes by like a breeze), bold (Tarantino rewrites history in a hilarious but unexpected way) and at times both startlingly violent and side-splittingly hilarious (such as The Bear Jew's work on a Nazi sergeant). The film is probably the most audacious WWII movie ever made, and it's only fitting for Tarantino to call it his masterpiece in the film's last line. He has matured artistically with this spaghetti-Western-style WWII flick, and even if this was the last movie he ever made (it won't be), he'd have left us with a thoroughly entertaining, very funny, very violent, and very smart film that turns out to be the best movie of the year.

Staff Round-up

Rachael

Before I begin, as co-writer of the movie category (along with Jake), I have to admit that I have not been fortunate enough to have seen all the critical favourites this year, and the ones I missed include: A Serious Man, Ponyo, The Messenger, Crazy Heart, A Single Man, and Treeless Mountain. However, I believe I have seen sufficient films to compile a list of my top movies of the year. Now, it hasn't been a brilliant year for films, but we've had our share of excellent productions this year. With that in mind, I present my selections!

1. Inglourious Basterds

Admittedly, talk about World War II is getting old. Yes, we all know about the injustices the Germans doled out to the Jews, etcetera, etcetera. But could there possibly be another side to the war that we don't know about? At least, that we didn't know about until now. Quentin Tarantino's outrageously entertaining film takes history and shakes it up brilliantly. (If only history class were this fascinating!) It's a hilarious, thrilling ride, and very clever as well: much of the film is in subtitles, and it's set up like an old western. The performances, especially Christoph Waltz's Colonel Hans Landa and Melanie Laurent's Shosanna Dreyfus, are fantastic. Not to be ignored is Brad Pitt, starring in a comical turn as leader of the Basterds, the American anti-Nazi group. In the end, this film is just so fun and enjoyable that I can't help but name it as the best film of the year.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:15 am

http://carlosdev.wordpress.com/2010/01/14/top-10-movies-of-2009/

7. INGLORIOUS BASTERDS

(Weinstein) Brad Pitt, Christoph Waltz, Eli Roth, Diane Kruger, Melanie Laurent, Daniel Bruhl, Samm Levine, B.J. Novak, Til Schweiger, Michael Fassbender, Gedeon Burkhard, Jacky Ido, Mike Myers, Denis Menochet, Sylvester Groth. Directed by Quentin Tarantino

Released August 21, 2009 Tarantino can always be counted upon to take something conventional, turn it on its ear and then give it a Wet Willie besides. Here, he takes the war movie, revs it up a notch, dials up the amp to 11 and unleashes it on the late summer audience. The result is Tarantino’s best opening weekend ever and one of his biggest grossing movies to date. He also gave us Christoph Waltz, one of the nastiest villains since Goldfinger and certain to get an Oscar nomination for Supporting Actor next month.

WHY IT IS HERE: You have never seen a movie like this. You will never see a movie like this again. Hip and retro and intelligent all at once, nobody can make B movie conventions seem so damn smart like Tarantino. His movies are maniacal grins, fueled by tequila and mescaline, meant to be experienced as the kick-off to a weekend-long bender. Did I mention this movie rocks?

HIGHLIGHT SCENE: There are several, but the one that made me sit up and take notice came near the end when Hans Landa interrogates Bridget von Hammersmark in the theater office. He knows, you know he knows, she knows he knows but what follows is still shocking and brutal.

BOX OFFICE RESULTS: $120.5 million domestic (as of 12/17/09), $311.7 total.

BUDGET: $70 million.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:30 am

http://www.dvdoutsider.co.uk/articles/articles/r/review_of_year_2009_slarek.html

Love, labour and loss
A personal review of 2009 and a pick of favourite films and DVDs by Slarek

Hunger
Turner Prize winner Steve McQueen's astonishing debut feature recreates the last six weeks of the life of IRA hunger striker Bobby Sands in an arresting example of creative minimalist storytelling at its most cinematically poetic. Dialogue plays only a supporting role in the first and last acts, which are electrifyingly interrupted for a single, sixteen-minute 2-shot in which Sands discusses the morality of his stance with no-nonsense Father Moran, a brilliantly written and performed dialogue that really showcases the talents of actors Michael Fassbender and Liam Cunningham.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:46 pm

http://mynameisfoe.wordpress.com/2010/01/19/the-top-10-films-of-2009/

9. Fish Tank (Andrea Arnold)

In Fish Tank we meet Mia (Katie Jarvis), a 15-year-old British girl who is struggling with life in the middle of a gray housing estate somewhere in England. She wants to dance, but she doesn’t know how to go further. She hardly has any friends, since adapting to the youth around her seems like a lost cause. And to top it all, school is going downhill and she is destined for special education.

She is suffocating, trapped in a fish tank, looking for an exit but constantly bumping into the glass. To highlight this the film is shot on an aspect ratio of 1.33:1.

Things change, however, when her negligent mother brings home her new boyfriend, Connor (Michael Fassbender). The new man in the house gives Mia the attention she’s been craving for. As a bonus, he has a video camera that Mia can borrow to make a tape needed to enter the local dance competition.

But what happens, when Mia begins to notice something else in Connor? Perhaps something that her alcoholic mom fails to realize. And vice versa, Connor quickly sees the potential in Mia. Or at least her perky tits and cute behind.

A detailed description of their potential affair is hardly needed. Something might, or might not happen. At least the tension is there. What is central is the painful process of growing up. Mia is desperately trying to find herself, but the people around keep disappointing her. The ending sums it all up, Mia and her mom sharing a rare moment together dancing to Nas’ hip hop classic. “Life’s a bitch and then you die, that’s why we get high / ’cause you never know, when you’re gonna go.”
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:55 pm

http://sugarfreak.typepad.com/mobtownshank/2010/01/shank-year-end-wrap-up-watchings-josh-slates-top-films-of-2009.html

Shank Year End Wrap Up (Watchings): Josh Slates' Top Films of 2009

by Josh Slates

Josh Slates is a local filmmaker (Exasperado, Ponkutsu Park, Odyssey Of Oddities, 89 Gator Mine), creator of the film zine Travels Through Elsewhere Cinema and a film critic for WYPR's show The Signal.

1. INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS
Quentin Tarantino makes it look just so damn easy. Hooray for movies!

10. FISH TANK
Non-professional British teen actress Kate Jarvis and the suddenly ubiquitous Michael Fassbender tear an Essex housing project asunder in a battle-of-the-sexes tale for the ages (but especially the '00's). Shot in defiant 1.33:1 and pretty much the worst date movie of the year.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:05 pm

http://themovie-fanatic.com/index.php/annual_review/david-top-ten-movies-of-2009

10. Hunger

Hunger doesn’t merely base the name of its title from the 1981 IRA Hunger Strikes in Ireland, but it comprehends the meaning of the word hunger and how the human soul craves to achieve something in their life that is worthwhile and how the craving resides elsewhere in faith and existentialism. Steve McQueen’s debut feature is both hypnotic and consuming. He focuses on two cellmates living in their own human excrement and freedom fighter Bobby Sands (Michael Fassbender), the martyr who initiated the second hunger strike while in jail in order so IRA inmates can be granted political rights and status. McQueen’s eye for detail and Fassbender’s willingness to succumb himself to such a deplorable state expands the entire film’s scope. The two work at such masterful levels that they are able to create soul and vitality to the inanimate. In Fassbender’s case he’s able to give Sands a heart that wants to pursue a goal when all others in his position sit and watch the world of politics swallow them whole. McQueen, a world class filmmaker already with this one feature, has the foundation to decorate and film objects that when being filmed they contain a pulsating heart. These two make what would seem to be the ordinary into visual poetry. You sit in a trance amazed at what you are watching and eagerly anticipating the next scene’s nightmarish vision. Instead of watching it, we feel it and savor it.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:55 pm

http://punkeinfilm.blogspot.com/2010/01/trainspotting-decade-movies.html

Trainspotting the Decade: Movies

Verb
1. hobby of collecting railroad locomotive numbers: a hobby that consists of collecting the numbers of railroad locomotives
2. looking for vein: the search for a vein that is prominent enough to inject drugs into (slang)
Connotation: Obsessively compiling lists of pop culture minutiae....Which is what I was born to do.

Ok, so we've got a collection of films and film people that ought to be commended. There in no real order, because they're all good, really. There's nothing negative here, this is all stuff I love.

Directors who've debuted this decade
1. Steve McQueen
2. Park-Chan Wook
3. Ti West
4. Charlie Kaufman
5. Tom Ford
6. John Hillcoat
7. Neil Blomkamp
8. Tomas Alfredson
9. Jonathan Glazer
10. Bong Joon-Ho

Performers and their best performances - You know these people because no matter the quality of the films they're in, it is always awesome to watch them act and bring their best to roles.
1. Daniel Day Lewis - There Will Be Blood
2. Tom Hardy - Bronson
3. Sylvie Testud - Murderous Maids
4. Michael Fassbender - Hunger
5. Marion Cotillard - La Vie En Rose
6. Giovanna Mezzogiorno - Vincere
7. Benicio Del Toro - Che
8. Samantha Morton - Synecdoche, NY/Morvern Caller
9. Laura Dern - Inland Empire
10. Viggo Mortensen - The Road

Life - Films that make you appreciate life by showing people approaching death and tragedy. The point is to take time and take in everything and the people whom I'd recommend these movies too the most would probably hate them. So I'm offering them to you.
1. Hunger
2. The Diving Bell & The Butterfly
3. The Beaches of Agnes
4. A Single Man
5. Bright Star
6. Y Tu Mamá También
7. Silent Light
8. Everlasting Moments
9. Synecdoche, NY
10. The New World
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:58 pm

http://mumblingonline.wordpress.com/2010/01/25/listmania-the-top-10-of-2009/

listmania – the top 10 of 2009
2010 January 25
by Hari Raj

Every year, I put together a list of my top 10 films. Every year, I spend hours debating that list with my brother. This dedication to irrelevance is apparently hereditary. This year, I decided to do something a little different – to pick a top 10, but to write a little about them as well. I decided to write 50 words for each film. A little over 2,500 words later, I am pleased to announce Stephen King no longer has the monopoly on literary elephantiasis. Read on, and by all means add your own list – any excuse to seek out new films is a good excuse indeed.

4. Inglourious Basterds

shave and a haircut. two bits

Books, covers, films, trailers, refrain from judging thereof. Brad Pitt and the titular illegitimates are onscreen for far less than the promotional materials imply, but that’s quite all right. This is a film so stuffed with characters that it’s hard to tell which ones are more fun to spend time with – the deadly, distracting Mélanie Laurent, or Michael Fassbender’s undercover Brit, and then there’s Cristophe Waltz. As I wrote in August, he doesn’t just steal every scene he’s in; he seduces it, takes it home, gleefully throttles it and mounts its stuffed head above his mantelpiece. Basterds is Tarantino’s masterpiece; it hits all the high notes of his previous films – the glorious, sensual dialogue, even in French and German; the sudden brutality; the nod to the power and glory of cinema; femmes fatale; the stylised 70s aesthetic; his signature foot fetish – and turns them into a hugely entertaining potpourri of revisionist history. This isn’t a war film, it’s an amorality play about the ethics of violence, one that toys with the idea that the only thing separating vengeance from terrorism is the fog of war.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:04 pm

http://davesmoviesite.blogspot.com/2010/01/2009-year-in-review-top-ten.html

1. Inglorious Basterds (Quentin Tarantino)
There has never been a filmmaker quite like Quentin Tarantino. He takes all that has come before in cinematic history, twists it all up in his warped little mind and comes up with something completely original and different. Inglorious Basterds opens with the best sequence of the year as Nazi Hans Landa (Christophe Waltz) shows up at a French farm where he is told that a family of Jews is hiding. Landa plays word games with the farmer, switching back and forth between German, French and English, whipping out his giant pipe, and toying with him. The film has a great Hitchcockian reveal of the Jewish family beneath the floorboards, before the massacre begins. From there, Tarantino spins together one great, extended sequence after another. A group of American Jewish soldiers led by Brad Pitt who have parachuted into France with the express mission of killing and scalping any Nazi they come across. A German actress and double agent (Diane Kruger) teaming up with a British spy (Michael Fassbender) to try and infiltrate a movie premiere thrown by Melanie Laurent, the lone survivor of the massacre that opened that film, who plans on getting her revenge. Tarantino’s film is about the power of cinema to change perceptions and the complexity of language. It is also the most gloriously demented alternate history movie in history, climaxing at the premiere where the Jews kill Hitler as the theater burns to the ground. Tarantino’s film is the best of his career, his most inventive, fun, original, and funny - brilliantly made and structured film. The final quote of the film, where Pitt looks into the camera and says “You know, I think this could be my masterpiece” could well me Tarantino winking at the audience. And while there is no modesty there, he isn’t wrong.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:29 am

http://main-shutt.blogspot.com/2010/01/2009-in-cinema.html

Mike Shutt's Movie Site

2009 In Cinema
Before I break into the top 50 of my all time favorite films, I want to go back to the year that has passed and reveal my favorite films, performances, etc. So without further adieu, let the blowout begin.

Top 10 Films Of The Year:

1. INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS

Top 10 Male Performances Of The Year:

8. MICHAEL FASSBENDER in INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS

1. CHRISTOPH WALTZ in INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS

Top 10 Female Performances Of The Year:

10. DIANE KRUGER in INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS

3. MÉLANIE LAURENT in INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS

Top 10 Directors Of 2009:

1. QUENTIN TARANTINO for INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:05 am

http://bungionblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/i-think-these-just-might-be-some.html

Wednesday, January 27, 2010
I Think These Just Might Be Some Masterpieces

THE BEST FILMS OF 2009

I had no problem picking out ten excellent films from the hundred plus that I saw this year. I even listed a dozen or more films that were nearly as excellent and just missed the cut. But despite having seen some extraordinary films this year, I can’t help but think that this was a fairly weak year of cinema. I’m not just talking about the attempted summer blockbusters, which there seemed to be more of, and almost all worse than usual, this year. Even many of the prestige films seemed to fail to deliver this year. Films like UP IN THE AIR, CRAZY HEART, INVICTUS, and BROTHERS were all good films, but they lacked that little extra thing that made them stand out in the sea of other releases. As soon as I stepped out of the theatre, I was finished thinking about them. They didn’t stay with me, and that seemed to happen with too many films this year. But that wasn’t the case with all of them, so please enjoy my list of the best films of the year. I guarantee that these ten films will stay with you for weeks after you see them.

1. INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS -“Inglourious Basterds” is the best film of the year, and I’m as surprised as you are. While Quentin Tarantino is admittedly one of the most visionary and exciting auteurs working today, his films, in recent years, have become fun exercises in homage and tone, rather than simply great examples of storytelling. Much of “Kill Bill” and “Death Proof,” while both great films, were often nearly shot for shot remakes of B movies we’ve never seen, but Quentin has. While it has many warm, familiar elements of British films of spies and espionage, and the pacing and music of some of the greatest spaghetti westerns, “Basterds” never feels like Tarantino is imitating or paying careful homage to the films of others. It always feels like its own, unique story, but in the styles of film genres that simply aren’t made anymore. The result is an incredibly entertaining experience that improves with each viewing. Each of the film’s five acts could almost work as stand alone short films, with each one presenting a situation of extreme, nail-biting tension, followed by an exhausting release. I also can’t neglect to mention how tremendously funny the film is, which often helps reprieve the audience of said tension, just when they need it the most. I think we all took a momentary sigh of relief when Colonel Hans Landa revealed his enormously comical pipe in the film’s nail-bitingly intense opening scene. Ah yes. I can’t go on any longer without acknowledging the performance of Christophe Waltz, who, with help from Tarantino, gave us one of the greatest screen villains in decades. Every line that came out of Waltz’ mouth was read in a way that no other actor could ever conceive, making each precious moment of Landa surprising and thrilling. Credit must be given to the rest of the exceptional cast, Brad Pitt, Melanie Laurent, Michael Fassbender, Diane Kruger, Daniel Bruhl, and Mike Myers, for making up the best ensemble of the year. While I always eagerly anticipate the next Tarantino film, suddenly I feel like I’ve discovered him for the first time all over again, and I can’t wait to see what he comes up with next.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:30 pm

http://whatanoblemindishereoerthrown.blogspot.com/2010/01/amandas-top-30-films-of-2000s.html

2) Inglourious Basterds

For those of you who know me well, you may be surprised that Basterds is not holding the top spot on this list. Although Tarantino’s masterpiece is by far my favorite film of the decade, it would be wrong for me to admit that the unrestrained, hilariously violent, spellcheck free, Nazi killin’ fest is without fault (Diane Kruger, I’m talking about you). But that aside, Basterds is just too much damn fun to dwell on what could have gone better. Christoph Waltz offers by far the best performance of the decade (and I don’t say that lightly) as the meticulously evil and hilarious Hans Landa. The French Mélanie Laurent as Shosanna Dreyfus, a young Jew in hiding after her family is killed by Landa, takes American cinema by storm, serving as an ass kicking heroine in an Uma Thurman-esq strain. Brad Pitt, as mountain man Lieutenant Aldo Raine, is overshadowed by Waltz and Laurent, but presents Tarantino’s witty dialogue in a way that causes you to laugh out loud every time he opens his mouth. Even Eli Roth, as terrible as we all know he is, offers some laughs as the infamous and rightly named “Bear Jew.” A treat for any cinephile, Tarantino once again proves that there is still hope for American movies.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next