Michael Fassbender Fans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top News
WE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT MICHAEL-AN AWARD WINNING ACTOR

Congratulations to the cast and crew of "12 Years a Slave" winning an Oscar for Best Picture

Michael is currently filming "MacBeth"

Watch "12 Years A Slave" and "Frank" in theaters

Watch "The Counselor" and "12 Years A Slave" on DVD available now

Michael is set to star and produce on a film version of the video game "Assassin's Creed"

Completed projects: X-Men, Untitled Malik project

Upcoming projects Assassin's Creed, Prometheus 2, MacBeth,and more!

Header credit here

MFmultiply's Disclaimer

Order region 1 dvds-Amazon store

Order region 2-UK dvds-Amazon Shoppe

Please check the calender for films on TV, Theater, or dvd releases
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

What Makes British Actors So Wonderfully Versatile?

Go down

What Makes British Actors So Wonderfully Versatile? Empty What Makes British Actors So Wonderfully Versatile?

Post by Admin Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:05 pm

http://www.cinematical.com/2009/12/27/what-makes-british-actors-so-wonderfully-versatile/

by Monika Bartyzel Dec 27th 2009 // 11:31AM

What Makes British Actors So Wonderfully Versatile? Fassbe10

There's something in the water over there... In Hollywood, actors take on a role and perform wonderfully; they might even transform themselves for a character here or there. However, for the most part, they remain themselves -- the personality changing while the image remains. But if you head on over to Britain, the tide turns. While watching a few Michael Fassbender films over the weekend, I was struck by the number of British actors I admire for their ability to not only bring wonderful depth to their roles, but their ability to offer a wholly convincing physical metamorphosis.

Having initially steered clear of 300, I was introduced to Fassbender in Hunger, the film where the actor himself almost wasted away to nothing in order to show the slow, starving death of Irish Republican Army volunteer Bobby Sands. Fast-forward to this weekend, and I finally caught up with screenings of Inglorious Basterds and 300. I found myself instantly charmed by Lt. Archie Hicox -- never cluing in until the credits rolled that this was Fassbender. The next day brought 300, a jump taking the actor from WWII army man to a ripped Spartan warrior. Each was excellent, and each required effort to think of the actor as himself and not his character. (Delightfully, it's a trend that looks to be continuing as Fassbender takes on everything from Jonah Hex to Jane Eyre.)

And he's certainly not the only one adeptly morphing from role to role. Michael Sheen is the man from Music Within, Frost/Nixon, Underworld, and New Moon. Gary Oldman has morphed into everything from Dracula to Sid Vicious to Sirius Black. On a slightly lesser scale (since he rarely seems to fade away 100% in his roles) Christian Bale has played an American Psycho, The Machinist, and The Dark Knight.

The best answer I can come up with is the higher dedication to theater. However, while that certainly explains the acting talent, it doesn't really explain the metamorphosis -- how these men's bodies and personalities bend at will. Is it merely a higher dedication to the craft? A talent microbe in the UK water? Weigh in below -- Why do you think so many British actors are wonderfully versatile?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

What Makes British Actors So Wonderfully Versatile? Empty Re: What Makes British Actors So Wonderfully Versatile?

Post by Admin Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:06 pm

I love how this article features Michael. I've thought a lot about various actors and why I enjoy actors outside the US more than those in the US.

Click the link for some of the comments and explanations readers have shared. They are interesting.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down