Michael Fassbender Fans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top News
WE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT MICHAEL-AN AWARD WINNING ACTOR

Congratulations to the cast and crew of "12 Years a Slave" winning an Oscar for Best Picture

Michael is currently filming "MacBeth"

Watch "12 Years A Slave" and "Frank" in theaters

Watch "The Counselor" and "12 Years A Slave" on DVD available now

Michael is set to star and produce on a film version of the video game "Assassin's Creed"

Completed projects: X-Men, Untitled Malik project

Upcoming projects Assassin's Creed, Prometheus 2, MacBeth,and more!

Header credit here

MFmultiply's Disclaimer

Order region 1 dvds-Amazon store

Order region 2-UK dvds-Amazon Shoppe

Please check the calender for films on TV, Theater, or dvd releases
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Gary Oldman puts on his Smiley face

3 posters

Go down

Gary Oldman puts on his Smiley face Empty Gary Oldman puts on his Smiley face

Post by Admin Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:33 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1283814/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-Gary-Oldman-puts-Smiley-face.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

By Baz Bamigboye
Last updated at 9:23 PM on 3rd June 2010

Gary Oldman is in negotiations to play the ‘breathtakingly ordinary’ George Smiley, the anti-James Bond, in a bigscreen version of John Le Carre’s Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

Colin Firth, Michael Fassbender and David Thewlis are in early discussions about playing other vital roles in the film, about a Soviet mole at the heart of what Le Carre called the ‘Circus’ - the secret intelligence service MI6.

Going for Oldman is a masterstroke of casting because he has one of those deceptively ordinary yet shapeshifting faces that can be dressed any which way.

Gary Oldman has been lined up to play George Smiley, a role previously played by Sir Alec Guinness

For the actor, it’s the role of a lifetime to play the MI6 senior agent who has an air of awkwardness and a seemingly absurd demeanour.

But those who have read Le Carre’s Karla trilogy, or watched Alec Guinness’s masterful portrait of Smiley in the 1979 television series, or listened recently to Simon Russell Beale playing the role on BBC radio, all know the Oxford graduate is nobody’s fool. Oldman, best known recently for playing Sirius Black in the Harry Potter films and Commissioner Gordon in Christopher Nolan’s Batman pictures, has met Tomas Alfredson, who will direct from a screenplay by Peter Morgan, writer of The Queen.

Alfredson made the Swedish vampire thriller Let The Right One In. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is being made by Working Title and they hope shooting will begin in London and other locations in September.

The key roles Alfredson and the folk at Working Title are focusing on are for star names to play the various intelligence chiefs and bureaucrats who are under suspicion of being a Soviet mole. Could it be Percy Alleline, Roy Bland, Bill Haydon, Toby Esterhase or even Smiley himself?

Other important parts still to be cast are Smiley’s faithless aristocratic wife Lady Ann and Soviet expert Connie Sachs, played on TV, respectively, by Sian Phillips and Beryl Reid.

The detail of the social, class and political layers of Britain were in the seven-part BBC drama and, I’m told, those who have read Morgan’s script have been equally impressed at how he has managed to put the heart and essence of Le Carre’s classic into the screenplay.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Gary Oldman puts on his Smiley face Empty Re: Gary Oldman puts on his Smiley face

Post by Admin Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:03 pm

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/06/04/let-the-right-one-in-director-taps-oldman-firth-fassbender-and-thewlis-for-his-next-film/

Let the Right One In Director Taps Oldman, Firth, Fassbender and Thewlis for His Next Film

Posted on Friday, June 4th, 2010 by Russ Fischer

Let the Right One In director Tomas Alfredson was initially slow to lock down a follow-up film. He was a part of The Danish Girl for a while, before walking away. (Lasse Hallström directed instead.) Now Alfredson is making a film called Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, which is now casting. The one actor definitely set to star at this point is Gary Oldman, but several other great names are negotiating roles as well.

Production Weekly (via The Playlist) reports that Colin Firth, Michael Fassbender and David Thewlis are all in talks right now. Those four guys? Holy s$#!, that could be a hell of a cast.

Peter Morgan is writing the script based on John Le Carré’s novel (supposedly with the assistance of the author) which is the first in a trilogy that also features novels The Honourable Schoolboy and Smiley’s People. The overarching story is a classic tale of Cold War espionage, and when I first reported on this project we didn’t know if Alfredson’s film would be a period piece or an update. At this point, it looks like a period piece, so that’s a mark in the ‘plus’ column.

The story has retired intelligence agent George Smiley (Gary Oldman) being called back to serve when a high-ranking member of MI6 is suspected of being a Soviet mole. I still hope that Le Carré and Morgan kept the jargon that was used in the novel; Le Carré called MI6 ‘the circus’, black bag ops were ’scalphunters’ and American agents were ‘the cousins’.

Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy has been adapted twice before: by the BBC for television in 1979 with Alec Guinness starring as George Smiley, and then by BBC Radio 4 in 1988. A 1982 BBC mini-series later adapted Smiley’s People (again with Guinness), the third book in the trilogy, but the middle chapter has never made it to screen. The shoes of Alec Guinness will be difficult to fill, and I’d initially hoped for someone like Bob Hoskins, but Gary Oldman could easily nail this, too.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Gary Oldman puts on his Smiley face Empty Re: Gary Oldman puts on his Smiley face

Post by Admin Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:12 pm

http://www.firstshowing.net/2010/06/04/gary-oldman-cast-in-the-spy-film-tinker-tailor-soldier-spy/

Gary Oldman Cast in UK Spy Film 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy'

June 4, 2010
by Ethan Anderton

With MGM's financial woes putting another installment of James Bond on indefinite hold, now there's room for what The Daily Mail calls "the anti-James Bond" as they report director Tomas Alfredson (of Let the Right One In) will helm an adaptation of John Le Carre's British spy novel Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, the story of a Soviet mole at the heart of the secret intelligence service MI6. Peter Morgan (Frost/Nixon, The Queen) is penning the script and Gary Oldman is in negotiations to play the lead as George Smiley, who, unlike 007 is "breathtakingly ordinary." There's even more good news ahead for this project. Read on!

Colin Firth, Michael Fassbender and David Thewlis are in early discussions to play other roles in the film, like various intelligence chiefs and bureaucrats who are under suspicion of being the Soviet mole. Of course those discussions are on-going, but producers are looking to grab big names for all of those roles, so if those three don't come through, you can expect more casting down the road. This will be the first venture to the big screen for Smiley, who was only previously seen in the 1979 TV series with the late Alec Guiness. This combination of talent is pretty epic, and we'll need a great spy thriller to fill the lack of Jamess Bond.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:49 pm

http://theplaylist.blogspot.com/2010/06/gary-oldman-set-to-star-in-tomas.html

6/04/2010
Gary Oldman Set To Star In Tomas Alfredson's Spy Thriller 'Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy'; Colin Firth, Michael Fassbender & David Thewlis To Join?

After dropping the gender-bending tale "The Danish Girl" starring Nicole Kidman, Tomas Alfredson is now set to move onto his previously announced adaptation of John Le Carre's Cold-War-set spy thriller "Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy" with the production set to kick off this September, according to Production Weekly.

On top of that, the project is now reportedly in the process of casting with versatile thespian Gary Oldman set to star and the illustrious likes of Colin Firth, Michael Fassbender and David Thewlis in early negotiations to follow. It's early days yet but it's already shaping up to be quite the impressive cast for Alfredson's followup to the highly acclaimed "Let The Right One In."

Adapted for the screen by the talented Peter Morgan ("The Queen," "Frost/Nixon"), who has apparently "managed to put the heart and essence of Le Carre’s classic into the screenplay," Le Carre's novels follows the story of a British Intelligence operative whose task is to delve into the world of Cold War espionage and root out a Soviet mole in the Circus, the highest echelon in the British Intelligence Services. Oldman is slated to the lead George Smiley, described as a "breathtakingly ordinary, anti-James Bond"-type character who was previously portrayed by Alec Guinness in the 1979 BBC television adaptation of 'Tinker, Tailor.'

Firth, Fassbender and Thewlis, meanwhile, are being lined up for other unnamed but vital roles, with two female roles also up for grabs including Smiley's wife and a matriarchal figure at the agency.

Color us intrigued and excited with where this project is going. And with a certain British spy looking like he'll remain absent from the silver screen, it seems like the perfect opportunity for Alfredson and Working Title to capitalize with a smart, realistic take on that same world.

Posted by Simon Dang at 8:57 AM
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:47 pm

http://www.movienetnews.com/news/gary-oldman-cast-in-uk-spy-film-tinker-tailor-soldier-spy/

Gary Oldman Cast in UK Spy Film ‘Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy’
Jun 5th, 2010 | By movie-news | Category: News
Gary Oldman / Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

With MGM’s financial woes putting another installment of James Bond on indefinite hold, now there’s room for what The Daily Mail calls “the anti-James Bond” as they report director Tomas Alfredson (of Let the Right One In) will helm an adaptation of John Le Carre’s British spy novel Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, the story of a Soviet mole at the heart of the secret intelligence service MI6. Peter Morgan (Frost/Nixon, The Queen) is penning the script and Gary Oldman is in negotiations to play the lead as George Smiley, who, unlike 007 is “breathtakingly ordinary.” There’s even more good news ahead for this project. Read on!

Colin Firth, Michael Fassbender and David Thewlis are in early discussions to play other roles in the film, like various intelligence chiefs and bureaucrats who are under suspicion of being the Soviet mole. Of course those discussions are on-going, but producers are looking to grab big names for all of those roles, so if those three don’t come through, you can expect more casting down the road. This will be the first venture to the big screen for Smiley, who was only previously seen in the 1979 TV series with the late Alec Guiness. This combination of talent is pretty epic, and we’ll need a great spy thriller to fill the lack of Jamess Bond.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:19 pm

http://www.cinebrooding.com/2010/06/amazing-gary-oldman-colin-firth-david.html

amazing: gary oldman, colin firth, david thewlis, and michael fassbender might be in a movie together

by Emily at 1:15 PM

Tragically, this isn't about insane, last-minute Deathly Hallows Pt. 2 casting, but nonetheless, it is amazing news. The directer of Let The Right One In, Tomas Alfredson, is making a film called Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. It's based on the Cold War espionage novel of the same title, which has already been adapted a few times in the UK. Sirius Black Gary Oldman is the only one confirmed to star so far, but allegedly, Colin Firth, David Thewlis, and Michael Fassbender are in negotiations for the film.

Obviously Oldman is a legend, Fassbender is clearly one of the greatest up and coming talents as evidenced by Hunger and Inglourious Basterds, Thewlis plays the fictional love of my life Remus John Lupin in Harry Potter, and Colin Firth is just the actual love of my life. Needless to say if this goes through, I will immediately be purchasing the novel and living in a Gollum-like cave to read it until the film comes out.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilar Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:52 pm

This sounds wonderful.

Gary Oldman is a master at work. I hope Michael makes time to be in this film. Wow....what a hot combination.

Firth will bring in a lot of fangurls, too.
Pilar
Pilar
Azazeal's Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:41 am

Double the fangirl for me, although I don't really feel like a huge fan, even a fan of Firth. I enjoy his roles, but I don't go out seeking them.

I really would love to see Firth and Fassbender together, though.

And Oldman the same. I don't look for his work, but he's like Morgan Freeman, he's all over the place.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MissL Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:47 am

yes but he was good at playsing Dracula Gary Oldman

MissL
Stelios' sword

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:24 pm

Gary is good, I just don't good looking for films with him in them. Harry Potter and all.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MissL Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:28 pm

well is ok

MissL
Stelios' sword

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilar Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:31 am

greyeyegoddess wrote:Gary is good, I just don't good looking for films with him in them. Harry Potter and all.

Me either. But I thought he was brilliant in Dracula and Immortal Beloved.
Pilar
Pilar
Azazeal's Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:12 pm

http://ianrichardsonrememberedblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/tinker-tailor-soldier-spy.html

Friday, 25 June 2010
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Pre-production is continuing on a new feature film version of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Many people thought that Simon Russell Beale was likely to get the role of George Smiley, having received plaudits for his recent radio portrayal of the character. Smiley is, however, going to be played by Gary Oldman. I wonder how close he will come to John Le Carre's Smiley - or indeed to the magnificence of the Alec Guinness portrayal.

Other actors currently listed, but not who they will be playing, are David Thewlis, Colin Firth and Michael Fassbender. Will Thewlis perhaps be Bill Haydon and Colin Firth Toby Esterhase? We'll have to wait and see - or perhaps not. I've yet to come across a remake that has come close to the quality of the original - The Lady Killers, Edge of Darkness, The Wicker Man are but a few examples. In fairness, I've not seen any of these 'remakes' nor do I have any desire to do so - a stance vindicated by any reviews or comments I've seen.

I'm still extremely content to revisit the originals from time to time. And for me, Alec Guinness will always be George Smiley, Ian - Bill Haydon, Ian Bannen - Jim Prideaux, Terence Rigby - Roy Bland and Bernard Hepton - Toby Esterhase.

Posted by SharonM at 13:16
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down