Michael Fassbender Fans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top News
WE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT MICHAEL-AN AWARD WINNING ACTOR

Congratulations to the cast and crew of "12 Years a Slave" winning an Oscar for Best Picture

Michael is currently filming "MacBeth"

Watch "12 Years A Slave" and "Frank" in theaters

Watch "The Counselor" and "12 Years A Slave" on DVD available now

Michael is set to star and produce on a film version of the video game "Assassin's Creed"

Completed projects: X-Men, Untitled Malik project

Upcoming projects Assassin's Creed, Prometheus 2, MacBeth,and more!

Header credit here

MFmultiply's Disclaimer

Order region 1 dvds-Amazon store

Order region 2-UK dvds-Amazon Shoppe

Please check the calender for films on TV, Theater, or dvd releases
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Actor James McAvoy-X-Men

Go down

Actor James McAvoy-X-Men Empty Actor James McAvoy-X-Men

Post by Admin Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:15 pm

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1648364/20100921/story.jhtml

Sep 21 2010 4:39 PM EDT
'X-Men: First Class' Star James McAvoy Wants To 'Bury' Patrick Stewart's Professor X
New film will reportedly reveal how character lost the ability to walk.

By Eric Ditzian (@ericditzian) , with reporting by Josh Horowitz (@joshuahorowitz)

Over six years and three films, Patrick Stewart created an unforgettable representation of Professor X: austere, commanding, lacking a single hair on his head. Four years after Stewart's appearance in "X-Men: The Last Stand," a new film in the franchise — "X-Men: First Class" — is in production in England.

James McAvoy faces the challenge of reinventing Professor X for a story that takes place before the character lost his hair or adopted his scholarly nickname.

How is the 31-year-old actor approaching that challenge? "I'm basically going to try and bury Patrick's performance," McAvoy laughed during a conversation with MTV News at the Toronto Film Festival while promoting the historical drama "The Conspirator."

"I think the fun about these films, when you go back and you either reboot or do a prequel, is you get to see how people became who they are," he continued. "That means that you have to do them differently and by the end of the movie you have to do them the same way. The interesting journey is what happens to them, what changes them, what makes them evolve — not just mutate, but emotionally and psychologically evolve."

Last month, producer Bryan Signer said that McAvoy's version of the character — here still named simply Charles Xavier — will be , and McAvoy confirmed both those facts for us. "They wanted me to have hair," he said. "They didn't want me to go bald and I walk as well."

Apparently, however, "First Class" will tell the story of how Xavier lost the ability to walk. The film will also go a long way toward explaining how the shaggy-haired Xavier became the stern-faced Professor X.

"I would suggest by the end of the movie and the start of the next movie, it'll be more like what Patrick does," said McAvoy, adding, "Or maybe not. Maybe it will still be in a period of flux, if there is a new movie."

For breaking news and previews of the latest comic book movies — updated around the clock — visit SplashPage.MTV.com.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Actor James McAvoy-X-Men Empty Re: Actor James McAvoy-X-Men

Post by Admin Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:16 pm

http://filmonic.com/james-mcavoy-on-playing-charles-xavier-in-x-men-first-class

James McAvoy on playing Charles Xavier in X-Men: First Class

by Liam on September 22, 2010

james mcavoy James McAvoy was the first cast member hired for Matthew Vaughn’s X-Men: First Class back in May. The actor was chosen to play Charles Xavier, portrayed by Patrick Stewart in the trilogy, but he has somehow managed to avoid being interviewed about the role until today.

Producer Bryan Singer previously mentioned that Xavier will have a full head of hair and full walking capabilities, but during the movie we will see how he became wheelchair bound and he may lose a few hairs along the way. McAvoy spoke to MTV about these two key issues, and hinted we may see him look more like Stewart’s Xavier in future movies.

“I think the fun about these films, when you go back and you either reboot or do a prequel, is you get to see how people became who they are,” he continued. “That means that you have to do them differently and by the end of the movie you have to do them the same way. The interesting journey is what happens to them, what changes them, what makes them evolve — not just mutate, but emotionally and psychologically evolve.”

“They wanted me to have hair,” he said. “They didn’t want me to go bald and I walk as well.”

Apparently, however, “First Class” will tell the story of how Xavier lost the ability to walk. The film will also go a long way toward explaining how the shaggy-haired Xavier became the stern-faced Professor X.

“I would suggest by the end of the movie and the start of the next movie, it’ll be more like what Patrick does,” said McAvoy, adding, “Or maybe not. Maybe it will still be in a period of flux, if there is a new movie.”

20th Century Fox has a new trilogy in mind so if X-Men: First Class does well at the box office (like all X-Men films so far) there will most likely be a new movie. The fact that Cyclops, Jean and Storm aren’t in First Class leaves a clear gap for their inclusion in future films.

X-Men: First Class has been filming for around 3 weeks now, and while we have yet to get anything official, we should be getting something soon. Possibly our first look at McAvoy as Xavier and Michael Fassbender as Magneto.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:34 am

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=23125

James McAvoy On How His Professor X Interacts With Magneto in X-Men First Class

X-Men

Actor James McAvoy, sheds light on the relationship between his Professor X performance and his co-star, Michael Fassbender's Magneto, in X-Men: First Class. Check it Out!

James McAvoy, who portrays one of the lead roles in Matthew Vaughn's X-Men: First Class as Professor X, speaks briefly with Josh Wigler of MTV. In the first segment of the interview he revealed how he would make the role his own, and not imitate Patrick Stewart's performance. And now he sheds a little light on his & co-star Michael Fassbender's Magneto relationship in the film.

Movie Trailers - Movies Blog

"I think there's a lot of room there for a real connection," McAvoy told us of his hopes for the relationship between the two "First Class" protagonists. "By the end of that relationship, there's still a kind of affection for each other. You see that in the stuff that Patrick and [Sir Ian McKellen] did together. There's a lot of love there, strangely, I think."

"I think the fun about these films, when you go back and you either reboot or do a prequel, is you get to see how people became who they are," the actor explained. "That means that you have to do them differently and by the end of the movie you have to do them the same way. The interesting journey is what happens to them, what changes them, what makes them evolve — not just mutate, but emotionally and psychologically evolve."

X-Men: First Class hits theaters June 3rd, next year!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:41 am

http://collider.com/james-mcavoy-interview-x-men-first-class-gnomeo-julie/71964/

What is it like to do X-Men: First Class and have such a quick turn-around, since the film is due out on June 3rd?

McAVOY: I don’t think I’ve ever made such a big movie, in such a short period of time. It’s nuts, really. But, we’re getting it done. No movie has ever got enough time. It doesn’t matter how much money you’ve got, and it doesn’t matter how much money you’ve not got. You never finish on time. You’re always up against it and you’re always working up until the end. To get three days off the schedule to come and do [press for Gnomeo & Juliet] is a nice break ‘cause it is just [non-stop], all the time. But then, that’s what it is with every single movie I’ve ever been on. It just feels like the usual. It’s more about whether they can get it ready in time for the release date. They’re working on the editing now, and they’re working on the special effects now. They’ve got a big department working 24/7 on it.

From what you were told about the film to how it’s turning out, how does it compare?

McAVOY: It’s pretty much what I thought it would be when (director) Matthew [Vaughn] took me through it all. He really wanted to play off the ‘60s setting of it, and play off the style of that, visually, in the design of the costumes and all that, which we totally got. And, he wanted us to be really free, in terms of characterization, and was confident in taking it as far away from the original characters, not as we could, but as we thought was right. We’ve really done that quite a lot. Otherwise, there’s no point in doing a prequel, if they’re just the exact same people. They’ve got to be very different, otherwise there is no journey. This story is all about that journey to showing the seeds of how they are in the other X-Men movies, and to show what could have been between Erik and Charles – or Professor X and Magneto (Michael Fassbender) – and to show why it couldn’t be.

What’s been the toughest part about playing such a popular character?

McAVOY: The toughest part is probably that I’ve got a great superpower and, if you had it in real life, it would be amazing, but in a movie, everybody else is bouncing off the walls and shooting f#%@#&! beams of light out of their chest and doing crazy stuff and making things fly around, and I’m [putting my finger to my forehead]. It just feels a little bit like, “Oh, god!” But, what’s nice is that it means I have less CGI and stunt work to do, which means I have more time in my bed. That’s the thing. I look at all the other people using their superpowers and I’m like, “That would have been fun!”

What’s been the best part of this gig?

McAVOY: The best part about it, for me so far, is that I really love the cast. The cast has just been incredible. We’ve had a lot of fun, actually. I’ve loved working with [Michael] Fassbender. I think he’s great. I’m so glad that we got to collaborate on something. But, just from top to bottom, the cast is amazing. Having Kevin Bacon play your baddie is great. It’s a great, slightly left-field piece of casting as well. I don’t think anybody expected that. Hopefully, that’s a clue as to what the movie will be.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:58 pm

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/James-McAvoy-Talks-X-Men-No-Bald-Xavier-No-Wolverine-And-Re-Shoot-Details-22771.html

James McAvoy Talks X-Men: No Bald Xavier, No Wolverine And Re-Shoot Details

By Eric Eisenberg

Published: 2011-01-21 18:56:44

James McAvoy Talks X-Men: No Bald Xavier, No Wolverine And Re-Shoot Details This week has been jam packed with news about one of this summer's biggest blockbusters, the Matthew Vaughn-directed X-Men: First Class. Since Tuesday we've heard about the film undergoing re-shoots; Kevin Bacon's take on his character, Sebastian Shaw; seen the first stills arrive as well as a banner showing off the characters as well as two more stills directly from Vaughn; and the film's first teaser poster. Lucky for me, the timing couldn't have worked out better, as today I had the opportunity to sit down with Professor Xavier himself, James McAvoy. Speaking with the actor at the junket for his newest film, Gnomeo and Juliet (stay tuned in a few weeks for the entire interview), I took the opportunity to ask him a few questions about the superhero film and he was happy to oblige.

Asking about his approach to the character, particularly in the light of Patrick Stewart's performances in the previous X-Men films, McAvoy revealed that Xavier was initially going to be bald, but the studio vetoed the idea. Apparently this detail alone was enough to help him escape from under the weight of Stewart's performance and left him saying, "Well f&#! it, I’m liberated then." This revelation seems to debunk the trailer details from last week that said we would see McAvoy losing his hair.

Discussing how the character is different than the one we've already seen on the screen, McAvoy expressed that he doesn't see the point of doing a prequel set years earlier that features static characters. As such, Xavier's principles are in tact in the new film, however, other elements are definitely different.

"You look at the kind of main, defining characteristics of Professor X, of Charlie Boy, and you go, 'Alright, he’s selfless. He’s a saint. He’s sexless, it seems. He’s egoless. He’s all about other people. He’s all about bettering the world and mutantkind and humankind.' And so you kind of try and flip that on its head. You don’t make him an evil person, or anything like that, but you make him ego-driven, women-chasing, he likes a good drink. He’s not the reluctant leader that you kind of want all heroes to be. He actually kind of wants to be in charge, you know what I mean? And all of those things, just to kind of show a journey. So by the end of the movie he’s some way towards becoming Patrick Stewart[‘s version of the character], rather than just having the same guy at the beginning."

Also significant is that he confirmed that Wolverine, played by Hugh Jackman in all previous films in the franchise, will not be making an appearance in the film.

Following that, I also decided to ask about the stuff that they were doing in re-shoots. In addition to "bits and bobs," three scenes being worked on are the ending and two scenes out on the water.

We doing a tiny little tweak on the very end, finale thing between me and Michael [Fassbender], who plays Magneto. And we’re doing, what else are we doing? It’s all little bits and bobs and things that we dropped or didn’t know we needed or trying to fix a little scene here or there or tighten up a scene here or there. We’re doing a little bit on a boat at one point, which is going to be fun; then a lot of underwater stuff last week, which I can’t really tell you what it’s about, but it’s quite exciting. Just bits and bobs really.

With the film due out on June 3rd, it likely won't be too much longer until we see a trailer for the new film, and until then, we're going to have to settle for bits and details like this. For more on X-Men: First Class, head on over to our Blend Film Database and stay tuned for more news as it comes.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:59 pm

http://screenrant.com/james-mcavoy-xmen-class-interview-professor-x-rothc-97608/

James McAvoy on Charles Xavier’s ‘X-Men: First Class’ Combat Readiness
Jan 21, 2011 by Roth Cornet

We sat down with young Charles Xavier himself, James McAvoy, earlier today to gain some insight into the character traits and story arc for his turn as the iconic Professor in Matthew Vaughn’s upcoming ‘X-Men: First Class.’

Images from X-Men: First Class were released earlier this week much to the delight of fans eager for clues about the Matthew Vaughn directed film, which had been, prior to this point, shrouded in a bit of an air of mystery.

Very little in the way of publicity or marketing materials had been released, however, the last several days have yielded ripe and juicy fruit in the way of character reveals from the actors; the aforementioned stills, and official banners, and posters from the production. To round out this fresh informational crop, earlier today we had the chance to sit down with one of the film’s stars, James McAvoy, aka Professor Charles Xavier, and gain some insight into how the leader of the X-Men will be portrayed in his younger years.

Stay tuned for the remainder of our interview with McAvoy regarding his role in the upcoming animated take on Shakespeare’s classic romantic tragedy Romeo and Juliet, now titled Gnomeo & Juliet; and of course, Screen Rant will be providing all available updates on X-Men: First Class.

Screen Rant: One thing people are wondering is how Professor X is going to be depicted in terms of combat, as he trained for it in the comics.

James McAvoy: He’s not too combat savvy in this film, it has to be said. He doesn’t do too much, he’s sort of a consultant with the combat guys. But he does get involved in a few little bits of fisticuffs, I wouldn’t say that he comes out well in any of them, but I wouldn’t say that he gets his ass kicked either. Yeah he’s not particularly combat ready.

SR: So it will be more about the mind control.

JM: Yes.

SR: Will he end up in the chair at the end and will he end up bald? Because that is the current rumor.

JM: You’ll have to wait and see, you’ll have to wait and see. It’s actually quite satisfying when you get to say that: ‘I’m not allowed to say.’ Because nobody’s actually told you that you’re not allowed to say, but it’s sort of implied.

SR: Awww, c’mon you can tell me.

At this point, McAvoy’s management team stuck their heads in the room as a gentle reminder for me to not get too sassy.

JM: Noooo, I can’t (Scottish lilt ever-present and almost charming enough to soften the lack-of-scoop blow). I haven’t even told my agent, they don’t even know I’m doing the film.

Magneto and Professor X play chess in X-Men: First Class movie

SR: Ooooookay. What if anything did you take from Patrick Stewart’s portrayal?

JM: I’ll tell you what I did take – I looked at all of the things that he did the hardest. I looked at all of the things that came out the strongest in his performance and we said we have to go the opposite way. Simply to validate why we were making this film, because if they were just the same there would be no reason to make it, we have to show how different he is. We have to show a journey – so he clearly has to start in a different place. So the main things that we looked into are the fact that he is ego-less, selfless, a very good person, he’s sexless – he’s sort of like a monk. We thought of what the opposite of all of those things would be – so now he drinks a lot, chases women quite a lot, and doesn’t mind sort of abusing his power to get ahead. He’s definitely got an ego, and he’s definitely a little bit selfish. So that’s where we start with him, and so he’s now got to grow towards –Sir Patrick.

SR: So it’s the experiences of this film that make him who he is as a character ultimately?

JM: Yes.

Two friends who become bitter nemeses, a flawed man, tempted by the material world, who is forced by circumstance to become something more, something bigger than he is – these are the classic comic-book and mythological tropes. However, when executed well, they never fail to engage the imagination. From what we have seen and heard thus far, this is one origin story that just may live up to, or perhaps even surpass, its potential.

X-Men: First Class is scheduled for release on June 3rd.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:41 pm

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/2011/02/james-mcavoys-professor-xavier.html

James McAvoy's Professor Xavier is a sex pest in X-Men: First Class
By David Bentley on Feb 8, 11 03:13 PM

JAMES MCAVOY has described his portrayal of Charles Xavier as a sex pest.

McAvoy plays the younger version of Patrick Stewart's telepathic mutant - pre-baldness, pre-wheelchair - in the upcoming prequel X-Men: First Class.

The 31-year-old tells Empire: "He's not a monk. He enjoys a drink. He's a sex pest! But you start to see his ego break down."

Released on June 2, the origin story is directed by Matthew Vaughn and sees Michael Fassbender as the young Erik Lehnsherr (aka Magneto), who at first is on the same side as Xavier.

Fassbender said: "It definitely is a journey towards that character we see with the helmet and the cape."

Also starring are Skins actor Nicholas Hoult as Hank McCoy/Beast, Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique, Lucas Till as Cyclops' brother Havok, Rose Byrne as Moira MacTaggert and Caleb Landry Jones as Banshee.

Empire notes that Banshee, an Irishman in the comics, is reimagined in this film as a young American.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:41 pm

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/02/23/x-men-first-class-james-mcavoy-calls-it-a-love-story-like-butch-and-sundance/

‘X-Men: First Class’: James McAvoy calls it ‘a love story’ like Butch and Sundance
Feb. 23, 2011 | 9:16 a.m.

James McAvoy leads the way to the past in ”X-Men: First Class,” which opens June 3 and presents him as a younger Charles Xavier, the mutant master who sees the world in very different ways than his frenemy, Erik, who is destined to become Magneto. Our Geoff Boucher caught up with McAvoy a few weeks ago while the 31-year-old Scottish actor was shooting the Fox film in L.A.

GB: It sounds like you had your hands full with the water-tank work here in L.A.?

JM: It was me saving Michael Fassbender’s … which is always fun. We worked together before, we met on “Band of Brothers,” which was my first TV job and probably his first or second. We both ride motorbikes, you know, scooters, around London, and every now and again, we’d pass each other and stop and give an old pump of the hand and slap on the back. He’s a lovely fellow.

GB: You and he each have a challenge — Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen are towering figures in the sci-fi and fantasy sector, and I imagine stepping into their roles must give you pause. Do you think a lot about Stewart’s work in this role, either as a place to begin or a place to avoid?

JM: I don’t think about it too much. This isn’t a reboot, so I’m not replacing anyone, in which case you might want to try to be as different as possible and stay away from what has been done before. This is a prequel, so I’m the same character, just younger, but the challenge for me — and for Michael — is to show the same person in a different place in their life, to show someone before they’re this bad guy, before they’re this saint. Charles wasn’t always a … monk, this selfless, sexless monk that he becomes.

GB: [Producer] Bryan Singer said many months ago that in his mind the story of the Charles and Erik friendship demanded to be the center of any prequel. Can you talk a bit about the physics of that friendship in this film?

JM: It’s kind of a love story, like “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid,” which, really, was a love story between two men. This is the first time in their lives they’ve met someone who is an equal of sorts, someone who understands them and can connect and push them too. Especially Charles, he’s fascinated with Erik and his potential. For Erik, Charles is the first person he’s trusted to really tell about his past and the first person to understand the horrible things he’s been through.

GB: Tell us about your non-monk Charles.

JM: Charles is caught up in himself. He enjoys success and is proud, and he’s not the selfless person that he becomes. You look at the relationship with Raven – who becomes Mystique – and you examine that relationship and the way he treats her like a living experiment. She’s an assistant to him and he cares for her, but there’s his ego and condescending big-brother attitude as well. You see it in the way he treats the others. In the “later” movies, he’s exorcised that from his personality. For me, trying to keep that ego as an underpinning of the character is important.

GB: Matthew Vaughn is quite the firebrand. I’m not sure I’ve ever met anyone who was more candid.

JM: He’s a really good fun, he’s a character. He’s definitely not like anybody else. But that’s the same with all these directors, isn’t it? It’s a strange breed of person, these director types, a bit dodgy aren’t they? But he really is a lot of fun to be around and there’s a lot of energy and he has a very specific thing he’s looking for and when you come in to it he’s got great people around him. It’s just an actor’s coven [on the set] if you know what I mean, there’s a community that he creates that is quite cool.

GB: At the beginning of this project, Vaughn said Hollywood was wringing all the life out the superhero genre. Thoughts?

JM: All fashions go around. At some point, the audience taste and stamina might be less, and then you see the cycle of fashion and it goes away for a while. I look at the Christian Bale movies, the Batman films, and that shows you that superhero movies don’t just have to be about men in tights. I think ‘The Dark Knight’ was really quite interesting, and if you can make movies that are that interesting, it sort of goes beyond fashion. You just try to be as good as you can and try not to get fired. Seriously, that’s a real threat with these superhero movies. People get fired all the time, and I don’t want to lose my job.

– Geoff Boucher
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:15 am

http://mytimekiller.info/movies/james-mcavoy-talks-%E2%80%98x-men-first-class%E2%80%99.html

James McAvoy Talks ‘X-Men: First Class’
Posted on Mar. 30th, 2011 by admin

IGN Moview interviewed actor James McAvoy about his upcoming comic book film “X-Men: First Class.”

McAvoy provided some revealing details about his character Charles “Professor X” Xavier. Some of the details included his character’s full head of hair, his relationship with Erik “Magneto” Lehnsherr, and using his mind-reading powers to talk to women into bed.

So SPOILERS ALERT!

McAvoy started the IGN interview by discussing about his character walking and having a full head of hair.

“We see why he can no long walk and why he is in a wheelchair,” explained McAvoy. “And hopefully we’ll find out why he lost his hair as well. In the comics, he loses his hair when he sort of gains or discovers his powers. But obviously that is not the way they wanted to go in this case.”

He continued to explain he shaved his head, but the production called for him to have long hair.

“Yeah, I shaved it not that long ago, so when I started this my hair was particularly short and they wanted me with long hair,” he said. “It was one of the only studio notes I got, they wanted me to have hair. So we had a lot of extensions for the first month. But yeah, I was kind of up for shaving my head. The only thing with shaving your head, there is just so much make-up that has to onto it and so much CG-ing ultimately and dialing down with lighting tones and stuff, because basically if you shave your head you just look like a guy who shaved his head; you don’t look like a guy who is actually bald.”

Since “X-Men: First Class” will have a Cold War setting, McAvoy described the film will relate historically close with a little changes to world history.

“I mean the Cold War plays a big part in it and the manipulation of history is quite a nice thing. So we sort of attach ourselves to history really closely in quite a strong way, but then we also mess with history quite a lot and re-write it a little bit,” he said. “We don’t change the outcome of any world events, but the explanation and the kind of machine behind those world events we kind of play off the mutants, which is great. And I think that’s kind of fun. A lot of kids who are watching these films don’t know much about 1962, but people my age and people in their 20s, you hope they will have some inkling of the kind of paranoia of the Cold War and the touch-and-go nature of the stability of the world.”

McAvoy explained on how his character and Erik Lehnsherr (played by Michael Fassbender) are all on the same side.

“What [Erik Lehnsherr] is doing is a good thing. That’s arguable. You can argue that killing people is never a good thing, but he’s killing some pretty bad people that did some terrible things to him. He is definitely a lot more sympathetic anyway, whether he’s doing bad things or good things. You know, the first time we see him as an adult he is chasing Nazis. You know why he’s doing it and I don’t think even if you are a pacificst, even if you don’t believe in carrying guns, you can understand and empathize with exactly what he’s going through. Where that takes him in the film is something that hopefully we would all fear because he takes quite an extreme approach. Whether he has been harboring that for the entire story or not or whether that is something that is growing from a particular event or particular moment in the film is something that I’m unclear on actually,” said McAvoy.

Finally, he explained the love triangle between Charles, Erik and Raven “Mystique” Darkholme (played by Jennifer Lawrence).

“There is a love triangle between me, Fassbender and Lawrence who plays Raven. It’s not a love triangle…basically she’s my assistant in this film, and obviously by the other films she is not my assistant anymore; she is very much not my assistant. Actually that’s quite good fun to see how that relationship disintegrates as well and why she ultimately goes over to the dark side as well. But yeah, it’s fun to inject a bit of romance into Charles’ life and not always see him welcomed with it as well. He’s a little bit forlorn and he doesn’t really take ‘no’ for an answer. He’s not forceful in any way, but I think he’s used to using his powers to get what he wants as well. I think he has abused his powers a fair few times to get ladies into bed. I don’t think he’s mind-f&%$#& anybody into bed,” said McAvoy to IGN.

There is more to IGN’s interview, click here for the jump to that site. “X-Men: First Class” will be in theaters on June 3 this year.

Source: IGN
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:12 pm

http://angelinajoliephotos.net/james-mcavoy-ive-done-x-mennow-for-a-few-zs-17264/

James McAvoy: I’ve done X Men….now for a few Zs

JAMES McAvoy has admitted he had to take a break from movies to spend time with his family and friends.

The 31-year-old Scots star and his actress wife Anne-Marie Duff have, until now, been so private about their baby son Andrew, they haven’t even revealed his date of birth.

But opening up for the first time about being a dad, James admitted he’ll be cutting back on his workload to make sure he’s always there for his wife and child.

James – who’s promoting superhero prequel X-Men: First Class – confessed he’s not sure yet how fatherhood has affected him.

He said: “I don’t know really. We’ll have to wait and see as it goes on – I think you can only answer that in 18 years.

“I’m trying not to analyse things too much, I’m just trying to kind of stay open.”

It’s probably the most James has ever spoken about his son. Not much sleep then?

“Exactly,” he grinned, “not much time to sleep. But it’s nice to come back and start publicising things again, it has to be said.”

James has been on the go in Hollywood since 2005, when The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe kicked off a run of success.The parts kept coming with big roles in The Last King Of Scotland, Becoming Jane, Atonement, Starter For 10 and Wanted.

He has four films out this year – starting with the computer-animated Gnomeo & Juliet last month, then First Class, The Conspirator and another animation, Arthur Christmas.
So he’s keen to slow the pace, especially with all the publicity work that comes with a new movie. He said: “I think you get a little bit sick of it but there was a couple of years there where I was doing a hell of a lot and, to be honest with you, I wasn’t getting much time for my own private life.

“I wasn’t getting a lot of time to kind of balance the two.
“So I thought I had to kind of pay attention to that, to my family and to my friends and all of that.

“I’m lucky in that way that I get the chance to do what I would like to do, but I also get the chance to kind of step back and maybe do one or two things a year and I don’t have to do five or six any more.”

James first came to attention in BBC1′s State Of Play in 2003, followed by a star turn in Shameless the next year. He met Anne-Marie on set. They married in 2006.

Since then, he’s gone on to fight it out with Ewan McGregor for Sean Connery’s mantle as the greatest Scottish actor.

So far, his roles have steered clear of McGregor’s edgy turns in Trainspotting and The Pillow Book. But James has something surprising on the boil. He said: “I‘m looking at a part soon, like the second half of this year, that is quite extreme I mean, quite full on mental.

“But yeah, I’m totally up for that, if it’s the right part though. I think it just has to be the right time. We’ll wait and see.”

Given that he was born in Port Glasgow and brought up in Drumchapel, James certainly doesn’t think he’s played it too safe.

He said: “I’ve played a lot of very posh, sort of noble or aristocratic English people, which is nothing like what I am, so I feel that there is quite a lot distance there and have played a little bit far away from myself.”

In the First Class, he’s stepping into the shoes of member of the acting aristocracy.

He plays Professor Charles Francis Xavier in the prequel – a role taken by Patrick Stewart in the original trilogy.

The movie sees Professor X and best friend Erik Leshner, played by Hunger star Michael Fassbender, set up a school for people with superhuman abilities. But Leshner becomes Xavier’s nemesis, Magneto.

It’s James’s second foray into comic book movies after starring with Angelina Jolie in Wanted, which has a sequel on the cards. So why did he go for X-Men? “Fun and money,” he laughed. “Those are two very valid reasons I’d say. Also, I was a fan of the cartoon when I was a kid, and a fan of the original X-Men movies.

“The first and second were fantastic, so it was a really good opportunity and, I’m also a fan of Patrick Stewart from Star Trek and everything else, so to get to play the young version of him in X-Men was quite exciting as well, I have to say.

“But also, to have the opportunity to redefine it, and change everything and change the character and make him a very different person was great.

“He’s at a much younger stage in his life, so he’s clearly going to be a very different man.”

The summer is going to be pretty much jam-packed with James, with First Class out in June and The Conspirator hitting cinemas in July. The second film sees him cast as a lawyer defending Robin Wright as the only woman charged in the Abraham Lincoln assassination.

James said: “I’m paying the mortgage, and I’m really lucky to work a lot, but I think that it should always be like that.

“I think it should always be for the kick of it, and for the fun, if you have the good fortune to work a lot.

“If you don’t have the good fortune to work a lot then you take any job you get offered, whether it’s a good job, fun job, a bad job, horrible job, whatever, you just take what you need to take.

“But I’m lucky in that – at the moment anyway and hopefully forever, but who knows – I get the chance to pick jobs for the kick of it and the fun.”
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:21 am

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/joshw24/news/?a=35199

James McAvoy Jokingly Shares His Thoughts On X-Men: First Class Posters!

Remember those slightly odd silhouette posters Fox released featuring Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy a couple of months back? Well, check out what the latter had to say about the rather odd design...

There was a lot of harsh criticism aimed at Fox after the early release of a clearly photoshopped image of the actors from X-Men: First Class was leaked online, and even more so when they released two rather bizarre looking posters. So, what does the brand new Charles Xavier make of this? Check out his hilarious response below courtesy of MTV Splash Page!

Movie Trailers - Movies Blog

"I have no idea," McAvoy told MTV News when asked what exactly is going on in the somewhat strange posters.

"I really had to sit on Patrick Stewart's lap [for that image]. The only thing they photoshopped was to make him all dark."

X-Men: First Class is set to be released on June 3, later this year!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:25 pm

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/movies/movie-news/James+McAvoy+Shows+Different+Side+To+Charles+Xavier-93394.html

James McAvoy Shows Different Side To Charles Xavier

26 April 2011

James McAvoy has admitted that he enjoyed showing off another side to the character of Charles Xavier in X-Men: First Class.

The popular X-Men series is back on the big screen this summer as Matthew Vaughn takes the franchise right back to the beginning to show the earlier years of Charles Xavier and Eric Lehnsheer.

And McAvoy said that it was good to play a character that was the complete opposite of what has come before.

Speaking to Comic Book Movie the actor said: "With my character, Charles Xavier, he happens to represent for me what is the exact opposite of Charles in the other movies.

"[In the original films] he's quite a saint, he's very sober, he's a proper hero in a lot of ways and he's a real leader of men.

"I saw enough there to make me feel that I could go quite far and have a lot of fun with doing the exact opposite of those things and making him quite irresponsible to begin with, and selfish and have a bit of an ego and definitely having a sex drive as well,"

McAvoy leads an all star cast of Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Rose Byrne, January Jones and Kevin Bacon in the movie.

X-Men: First Class is released 2nd June.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed May 18, 2011 4:03 pm

James McAvoy - Charles Xavier - Professor X - May 18th

Aaron
Charles Xavier/Professor X and Magneto were once like brothers. Do we get to see what made their friendship falls apart and what made that happen?

James McAvoy
Yes, we get to see why they want to be friends. You see the moment they meet. You don't just start the film and they're buddies. Which I liked. But we do also get to see what makes it all fall apart. We get to see something quite tragic because it's not a small thing that makes it fall apart, but it's only one element in their relationship. Everything else in their relationship is pretty solid and pretty positive. So it's quite tragic that they can't put their differences aside about how to move forward as a new species. Their approaches are so fundamentally different that they can't reconcile them and it has tragic consequences.

Anonymous
What was it that initially attracted you to the role of Charles?

James McAvoy
The opportunity to take a character who we are very familiar with and turn all that on its head. The Charles we know as an older man is portrayed in a way that is very straight, very noble, very wise, very sage; and I had the opportunity to make him very unwise and very unknowing and very glib, rather than sage. And not meaning make him stupid - he is a genius - but I think at this stage in his life he is more selfish. And also it was great to have fun with it, of course. To make the character a little more fun than we are used to seeing.

Anonymous
What was the most exciting and fun part about playing a young Charles Xavier?

James McAvoy
Playing somebody who thinks he's always right, and then gets proved wrong quite a lot is really fun. Also knowing that you are taking over from Patrick Stewart, and that you are being trusted to re-invent this character that people have such a solid idea of is really quite exciting. It's not that I'm going to try to a create a new thing for them, but it is more about being trusted to satisfy the fans that exist and that have been there since the comic book and cartoon days. That's quite a big responsibility that is quite scary. Anything that has fear attached to it is usually quite fun. And at the same time it's exciting that I will be introducing a lot of younger audiences - who didn't necessarily see the other films - to this iconic character.

Ashton
What was it like trying to simulate Charles Xavier's power of telepathy as an actor?

James McAvoy
Charles is one of the most powerful mutants in the world, if not the most powerful. So I tried to make it look like it was really easy and more like it was just an extension of Charles himself. But when he's really struggling with the power, the execution of his mental ability becomes a little bit more physical due to the strain he is enduring in harnessing the strength of his power. At those points it ends up being expressed physically.

Harris
Are you taking a different approach to the character of Charles Xavier from the way fans are used to seeing him portrayed? How much did you want to capture the feeling of Patrick Stewart in performing Professor X?

James McAvoy
I didn't want to capture too much from Patrick Stewart's characterization. I wanted to mold it as much as possible. The main thing that I had to respect in Patrick's performance was the fact that he played Professor X as English and we had to keep him English even though the Professor in the comics and cartoons is actually American. Other than that, I didn't want to take anything else from what he did with the role really. I did want to go bald, but I wasn't allowed! Hopefully that will happen in the next film. The real joy of doing a film like this is to show how different the characters are in the beginning compared to where they end up. By the end of this film we are really connecting all the other X-Men films together, and by then I am playing Professor X much more like Patrick Stewart's Professor X. Because he evolves into that man by the end.

Morgan
If mutations and the X-gene really existed, what do you think your ability would be?

James McAvoy
I would like to inspire love. I would quite like to be able to make people fall in love, sort of like Cupid. I guess it's not a superhero or mutant that exists, but maybe my mutant name would be Amore.

Nick
Can we expect to see you do some sort of mental battle with Emma Frost?

James McAvoy
Yes, you can. But that's all I'll say!

Kris
What was it like winning the role of young Professor X?

James McAvoy
Exciting. But it also filled me with a great sense of trepidation because I knew I was toying with the loyalty and affections of all the people who have made an incredibly big and successful franchise, filled with all these really established and adored characters. So there was this huge weight of responsibility. But it's quite good fun because it gets you a little bit scared and you find yourself thinking how fantastic and exciting the opportunity is, but at the same time you really want to make sure you don't screw it up!

Victor
In this film will we see Charles Xavier also as a teacher or is he just a mutant discovering and controlling his power?

James McAvoy
He's a mixture of both. Xavier is probably the least mutant-like mutant of the lot of them. But the thing about X-Men is that everybody's a misfit. They've always been outsiders, they've always been on the run, they've always been bullied and scared of what they are; and scared they can't control whatever power they have. But Professor X never really feels that way. Professor X has always been the guy who is proud of being a mutant, and he knows he is probably the most powerful of them all. Charles is much more comfortable with it and embraces that Professor role. So while we do see him developing his powers and learning to harness them, he's pretty much come to terms with his powers when we meet him. But we also see him as a teacher because he finds that it is his passion. He wants to not only be at the forefront of this emerging part of society, but he also wants to help shape it.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat May 28, 2011 1:27 am

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/james-mcavoy-xmen-is-a-love-story_1221951

James Mcavoy - James Mcavoy: 'X-Men Is A Love Story'
27 May 2011 04:15:23 PM

James McAvoy believes 'X-Men: First Class' is a ''love story'' between his character Charles Xavier and Michael Fassbender's Erik Lehnsherr.

James McAvoy thinks 'X-Men: First Class' is a "love story" between two friends.

The Scottish actor portrays Charles Xavier in the new comic book prequel movie and thinks his character's friendship with Michael Fassbender's Erik Lehnsherr - who later becomes Magneto - is vital to the film.

He said: "It's kind of a love story, like 'Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid'.

"This is the first time in their lives they've met someone who is an equal of sorts, someone who understands them."

James and Michael screen-tested for the roles together and James hoped from their first auditions that they would be cast together.

He added: "It was very important that the actors playing Xavier and Magneto, who are at the emotional core of the story, got on together and when we first met we hit it off and I think we both thought, 'Please God, let it be us two.'

"We share a similar sense of humour and we knew we could push things a bit and not get too serious about it and keep a sense of humour. We had a great old time."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat May 28, 2011 2:18 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1391409/McAvoy-takes-X-Men-pub.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

McAvoy takes X-Men to the pub

By Baz Bamigboye

Last updated at 2:11 AM on 27th May 2011

James McAvoy wanted to take the strait-laced Charles Xavier back — way back to a time before he acquired the patrician air that Patrick Stewart gave him in the original X-Men films.

McAvoy stars alongside Michael Fassbender, as Erik Lensherr (before he became Ian McKellen, if you follow me) in X-Men First Class, the best summer blockbuster so far.

It’s a movie that looks deeper into the origins of the Marvel Comic X-Men, set against the backdrop of the Cuban missile crisis (who knew the mutants had a hand in that?).
Down the pub: James McAvoy (third from left) and fellow cast members of X-Men First Class

Down the pub: James McAvoy (third from left) and fellow cast members of X-Men First Class

The picture cleverly combines the suspense of a Cold War thriller, 007 smarts, and super-hero kick-ass action.

Xavier’s mutant capability allows him to read and enter the minds of others, so he has no outward sign that he’s not ‘normal’. Unlike, for instance, the blue-skinned Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence).

‘Xavier’s thought of as quite mentally stable, and that’s to do with his social standing,’ James told me. ‘But we wanted to make him a little less wise and sober. Here’s a guy who can read the minds of every world leader and, actually, he’s in a pub eating pickled eggs, drinking beer and trying to pick up birds.’

The actor (pictured in the X-Men movie) took the project because he wanted to get back to making a studio film — and because most of the filming took place 30 minutes from his North London home, although some shooting on the movie, directed by Matthew Vaughn, was done in the U.S.

The producers have options on most of the cast to do two further pictures in the series.

There’s also an option for him to make a sequel to Wanted, the thriller he made with Angelina Jolie. He certainly wouldn’t want his son Brendan seeing that one.

‘I’d be worried about him watching Wanted, the most nihilistic, violent film I think I’ve ever seen — let alone made,’ he said. ‘If they want to make it [the sequel], they know they’ve got the right to force me to do it.’
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat May 28, 2011 2:35 am

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2011/05/26/james-mcavoy-was-worried-about-x-men-first-class/

James McAvoy Was 'Worried' About 'X-Men: First Class'

Posted 5/26/11 12:16 pm ET by Danica Davidson in Marvel

X-Men: First ClassNow that the actors of “X-Men: First Class” are finally able to see the finished product, they can add their own reviews to that of critics. Both James McAvoy (Professor X) and Michael Fassbender (Magneto) love it, which is a relief, because they admitted to being a little scared of the final product early on.

Speaking to WENN, McAvoy said, "I phoned Michael [Fassbender] within a half hour (of seeing it) saying, 'Dude, you've got to see this movie really quick because you're gonna be relieved. You're gonna be able to go to the toilet again properly.'"

"We were worried, man, because sometimes these things are a nightmare to make and it's well documented so there's no point in hiding out but it turned out really good,” he continued. “I think we always thought it could either be really different and really brilliant or really bad and really different."

Kevin Bacon (Sebastian Shaw) also admitted that the final cut was a pleasant surprise for him, too.

“I was completely knocked out and many people who I contacted said, 'I don't think I've ever heard you react to one of your movies like that,'" he said. "It was also super cool for me because there's so much that I'm not in that I wasn't really seeing it being shot. I didn't see all the sets so a lot of the stuff I was seeing for the first time and the effects are jaw dropping. I had no idea what my own power was gonna look like so I was thrilled."

"X-Men: First Class" hits theaters June 3.

Are you looking forward to seeing “X-Men: First Class”? Let us know in the comments section or on Twitter!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat May 28, 2011 2:52 am

http://www.gigwise.com/news/63439/X-Men-First-Class-Perfect-For-James-McAvoy

X-Men: First Class 'Perfect' For James McAvoy

McAvoy plays young Professor X in origin tale...
May 26, 2011 by Alex Winehouse

James McAvoy was the first person Matthew Vaughn wanted to play Professor X in X-Men: First Class, the director has revealed.

McAvoy plays a younger version of the character played by Patrick Stewart in the franchise's original run of movies.

Vaughn told HeyUGuys.co.uk, "When we talked about who could play Professor X, I thought McAvoy was perfect. He was top of my list.

"I think he got pretty annoyed at me, because I made him audition with every single actor who came in to play Magneto. I was wheeling him in every day saying, 'You've got to read with this actor, or this other actor', and then when Michael (Fassbender) came in, after twenty seconds of the two of them together I was like, 'OK, I've found Magneto'."

Vaughn also spoke with modesty about his personal impressions of his movies, adding, "It normally takes me about a year to know whether I'm proud of a film. I love the X-Men world, so for me, looking at comics was fun. People are always asking, 'What's your style as a filmmaker?' and it's very simple. I just want to tell a story, and every shot keeps that narrative drive moving on."

X-Men: First Class is released on June 1.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat May 28, 2011 2:53 am

http://www.timeoutdubai.com/films/features/24217-james-mcavoy-interview

James McAvoy interview

X-Men: First Class star talks to Time Out

In the current surge of superhero movies, X-Men is the series that got there first. Based on the Marvel Comics characters, the initial instalment in 2000 featured a then-unknown Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, Halle Berry as Storm and James Marsden as Cyclops, and then went on to spawn two sequels, plus a Wolverine solo movie. The films introduced us to these and other ‘mutants’ – people classed as outsiders because they are born with special powers. Professor Xavier, a mind-reading mutant played by Patrick Stewart, was of the view that mankind and mutants could live in harmony, while metal-bending hero Magneto, played by Ian McKellen, saw the mutants as the rightful successors to humans. This struggle was evident in each of the films, with mutants choosing sides and engaging in constant battle with each other. The good guys, of course, were dubbed the X-Men.

X-Men: First Class, directed by Matthew Vaughn (no stranger to costumed heroes after last year’s Kick-Ass), fills us in on the back story. James McAvoy plays a young Professor Xavier, with Michael Fassbender as Magneto: the two start off as friends, but their relationship turns sour and creates a rivalry when they discover their opposing views. Other stars include Kevin Bacon, January Jones, Oliver Platt and Jennifer Lawrence. Younger versions of other characters from the past X-Men films will also be seen, including Mystique and the Beast. We caught up with McAvoy to talk mutants, mind-reading and magnetism, and also to find out how it feels to play a character who eventually loses his hair and ends up in a wheelchair – we imagine that transition will be explained in the film.

You’re a big fan of Star Trek. How was it to play a character made famous by a former Star Trek actor?
[Laughs] I’m a total Star Trek fan. You have to stop yourself doing your Patrick Stewart impression! I managed to get the line, ‘On my mark,’ but I couldn’t get ‘Engage’ or ‘Make it so’ in there. But he did say ‘On my mark’ a lot in The Next Generation.

Did you read the X-Men comics when you got the part?
It was largely based on the script, because we do mess with a lot of the chronology of it all. I did look at the comic book version of First Class, even though it’s utterly different.

The summer movie season is particularly crowded this year. What will set X-Men: First Class apart?
I think the fact that it’s a period movie is rare for the superhero action genre, and the sense of humour it has will elevate the film. And we’ve already got this solid base of movies that we know audiences like. This movie will show you how they got there.

What’s that overall story about?
It’s about the burgeoning tension between these two characters, Erik Lehnsherr (Magneto), played by Michael Fassbender, and my character, Charles Xavier (Professor X). And on a greater level, it’s about where this new species of mutants is going. I think Charles regards himself as a human who has evolved – an evolutionary human. And Sebastian Shaw, played by Kevin Bacon, regards himself as somebody who is vying for the finite resources of the world with an entirely different species: human beings. He doesn’t regard himself as one. So the film becomes about whether Erik will fall on that side or Charles’s. In terms of the comic books he goes back and forth, really, for a long, long time. It’s not like the eternal constant war you think it is in the other movies, where Ian McKellen has always been the bad guy.

The movie starts with them being unaware of the existence of other mutants, doesn’t it?
Charles suspects there are others, but doesn’t know. Erik has never met another mutant and doesn’t expect to. And it’s not just about us, but about a family of mutants being created. My inference, from the script, is that Charles didn’t have any time with his parents – his father is never mentioned and he’s never in a scene with his mother. I think he never really had a family and just wanted to create something.
So Charles’s challenge seems quite human, then.

Yeah. And actually, I think Charles has had it easy. For all the mutants in the world who were persecuted or scared, Charles isn’t afraid of anything. He’s entitled, he’s had a lot of money, he’s got a fabulous education, he’s not naive or blinkered in any way. And his ability allows him ultimate access and empathy with other people. He understands them really, really well because he’s spent his entire life listening to them without them knowing. When the rest of the mutants come along, he’s suddenly in this crazy world in which he has to step up and help lead and educate. I think that is something he relishes and enjoys, but it’s a new experience for him and he has to become a bigger person than he was.

You’ve talked a lot about a potential trilogy of films for X-Men. Have you had ideas about how that might play?
The possibilities are just so, so exciting in terms of what could happen. The characters are all going through so much, with so many traumas. They’re all pretty saintly by the time they get to the first X-Men, so let’s have them really struggle for now. I just think it should be really messed up, and that’s all I can really say because they probably won’t let me do any of it otherwise.
X-Men: First Class is in UAE cinemas on June 2. Read our review next week this month.
By Joe Utichi
Time Out Dubai, 24 May 2011
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat May 28, 2011 11:17 pm

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/2011/05/x-men-first-class-actor-james.html

X-Men: First Class actor James McAvoy talks comics vs films
By David Bentley on May 29, 11 01:04 AM

AT the heart of Matthew Vaughn's new film X-Men: First Class is the friendship between Xavier and Magneto.

James McAvoy plays the young Professor Charles Xavier, in a time before he had lost his hair and the use of his legs and turned into the older version portrayed by Patrick Stewart in the existing films.

So where did James get his inspiration? How much bearing did the original comic book depiction of Xavier have on his portrayal? Here the actor talks about his influences, his character's relationship with Michael Fassbender's Magneto and what might happen to Xavier in future instalments.

On the film's intentions:
It's not like getting a new Batman in and suddenly changing it all for artistic reasons. It's not that. It's a prequel. It has to tie in with the other movies. Not necessarily the comic books because the original movies never tied in with the comic books really anyway. But if we're lucky enough to make enough money and make two more movies, then by the end of that movie you want to lead them to where they are at the beginning of the first movie of the previous lot.

You want to start in a very, very different place. You want to have them so far away from who they are in the other movies that it's inconceivable that they could get there. So then great, massive, epic things need to happen to them in order to change them.

On having far more hair than the Xavier in the comics and later films:
If I do another shoot like this one, I might have none left. Hopefully at some point in the second movie he'll not only lose his hair but explain why as well.

In the comic books it's clear that he loses it the day he discovers his powers, but they decided not to do that in this one for some reason. It's a different take. We might as well save it for an in-movie explanation. Maybe something else happens to him.

For the second movie, I'm quite interested in the idea that he can't keep the voices out so maybe something f***s him up. Maybe something happens to him on a genetic level that screws with him or something.

On referring to the comics:
I did a little bit but he's so different in the comic books. He's American in the comics and they made the bold decision to change that in the original movie and make Patrick Stewart British. So immediately you've got an entirely different character and mentality.

He's played as an English gentleman, not just as a British guy with an accent. He's an English gent with a massive manor house - in America, but he's living that country gent lifestyle. So they've totally changed him from this American who happens to share a resemblance to Patrick Stewart in the comic books. It was quite difficult to go back to the comics and find all that.

Also, he's much younger in this film. He's not even a professor when we meet him, he's a doctor. He's got a PhD and a doctorate but he gets his professorship quite early on in the film.

On his character's relationship with Erik Lehnsherr (Michael Fassbender):
When Charles meets Erik he meets him at a point of extreme rage and turmoil and Erik is almost about to die. Charles' power is all about empathy. It's all about connecting with other people's minds, what they feel and what they think. He can manipulate them, yes, but I think his ultimate facet is being able to understand.

He hears and feels Erik in away that he's never connected with anybody else before. Because his feelings are so powerful and his rage is so tangible, and the damage that has been done to him is so great that he can't help but be overcome by this man's story, so he risks his life to help him.

And then all of a sudden Erik's got this guy who he's never met before, from a completely different world - an entitled background, wealthy, always had money - risking his life to save him. And not only that but he's the first person he's met who's like him - he's got superpowers.

How do you break them up? There's definitely going to be some dramatic moments. That was what drew me to that relationship.

The full interview is in Comic Heroes magazine.

X-Men: First Class opens on June 1. For my review of the film, click here.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:56 pm

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/james-mcavoy-is-a-classy-man/story-fn6ccx45-1226067086143

James McAvoy is a classy man

Neala Johnson
June 02, 2011 12:00AM

Scene from film X-Men: First Class. James McAvoy as Professor Charles Xavier. Picture: Fox Source: Supplied

IT was on one of his first days on the set of X-Men: First Class that the true scale of his latest job hit James McAvoy right between the eyes.

"With the Atlantic ocean stretched in front of us and helicopters flying here, there and everywhere, it was pretty epic," McAvoy recalls.

"(Co-star Michael) Fassbender and I had to stand on the beach, facing out to sea, with no crew around us - there were a few more actors, but like miles behind us - so we felt completely on our own.

"A helicopter started a mile out at sea and it flew at us really low to do like a pass-over shot. It was totally an optical illusion 'cos it must have been 50 feet above our heads, but as it was getting closer and closer and closer, the blades looked completely in line with our faces and both him and I were laughing, giggling with fear.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
Related Coverage

Jones is keeping dad a mystery The Daily Telegraph, 3 days ago
A first class return to the world of X-Men Adelaide Now, 3 days ago
Film review: X-Men: First Class Herald Sun, 6 days ago
No thorns around this lovely Rose Herald Sun, 26 May 2011
McAvoy says UK 'dumbs down' films NEWS.com.au, 25 May 2011

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"At that moment you went, 'F--- me, this is a big old massive piece of good movie nonsense'."

If anyone was going to find the going on a massive blockbuster like X-Men: First Class nonsensical, it was McAvoy.

Though the 32-year-old Scottish actor has had his comedic moments (cult TV series Shameless) and his action blowouts (Wanted), he's really made his reputation through serious dramatic fare - The Last King Of Scotland, The Last Station, Atonement and mini-series State Of Play.

And McAvoy has made no secret of his disdain for the Hollywood machine. So how did he come to play the leader of the X-Men, Professor Charles Xavier, in the reboot of one of the biggest comic-book movie franchises of all?

"I know what you mean, it is kind of a strange one," says McAvoy, laughing the laugh of a man who's just been caught out.

"But you know what? I felt like I needed to work with somebody who was fun like (director) Matthew Vaughn, and work on a script which, for my money, is more fun than the previous X-Men movies in terms of its levity and humour.

"Also, I was a fan of X-Men from the cartoon when I was a teenager. So it was too attractive a prospect to turn down.

"And, we filmed it half an hour from my front door, which never happens as an actor. It'd be good if that became the headline of any interview I do - 'It was simply through vicinity that I decided to do this film'."

Yes, staying close to London loomed large in McAvoy's calculations on First Class - he and his wife, actor Anne-Marie Duff, welcomed their first child, son Brendan, last year. Working so close to home, he says, "you get to see your family and friends and you get to not have jetlag every time you go to work".

There was also the "shake it up" factor.

"The films I'd done before it, they were smaller films, more character-driven pieces," McAvoy says. "As ever, I want to try and shake things up - not for an audience, not for anybody else, just for me."

But it also becomes clear that McAvoy simply knew he'd have a ball making the blockbuster. And he did. So much so, he's already talking about doing a second and third Class.

"This is definitely true - I have had enough fun to expect to go on and do more. However, I am also legally obliged to go on and do more if they so choose to make more," he laughs. "So either way, I'm sure I'll be there - unless they decide to fire me."

The fun McAvoy speaks of is all over X-Men: First Class, which takes the story back to the days when Xavier and Erik "Magneto" Lehnsherr (Fassbender) first met - in the swinging '60s.

Lehnsherr is a man traumatised and set on revenge, but the young Xavier is enjoying his mind-reading powers to the hilt.

McAvoy insisted on some script tinkering, adamant that his Xavier must be a much looser character than the wise old (and bald) Professor played by Patrick Stewart in the previous X-Men films.

"The first scene was always written with him chatting up a young student," McAvoy explains. "When I first met Matthew I said, 'Listen, can we really take that and run with it, can we make him a rubbish flirt?' He's gotta become the wise, sage leader of this band and all that, yes, of course, but if you don't give him something else he might as well just be played by Patrick Stewart."

(For the record, McAvoy swears those scenes where Xavier is a "rubbish flirt" didn't require too much acting. "I am an absolutely rubbish, rubbish, rubbish flirt. But I enjoy playing people who think they're good at flirting but they're not," he laughs.)

Xavier and Lehnsherr gather the first team of mutants, joining forces with the CIA to fight a mutant baddie with the Russians on side. By close of play, Xavier and Lehnsherr's friendship is fractured, setting them on course to becoming the arch-rivals played by Stewart and Ian McKellen in the previous films.

McAvoy and Irishman Fassbender (Inglourious Basterds, Hunger) have known each other since working on Band Of Brothers in 2000, so their First Class double act sprang to life quickly.

"When we met up to talk about doing this, we both agreed there's no point in making these big, silly pieces of fun unless you can enjoy it, too," McAvoy says.

"As hard as it was at times - because these things are very hard to make, they are a storm happening all around you every day for six months - we made a pact to try to make each other laugh as much as possible."

In a fab montage, the pair go on a recruiting drive, in which they perch on a strip-club bed.

"That scene got exceptionally silly at one point," says McAvoy. "I don't know if I'm even allowed to tell you what originally happened. But it got pretty f---in' kinky. I'm not joking."

Was the dashing duo's bromance, uh, consummated?

"Unfortunately no. But there was a little bit of cross-dressing going on. That's all you need to know."

(For the record, McAvoy would have preferred it if Xavier and Magneto stayed together. Like, really together. "It is a little bit of a mini-tragedy that him and Magneto don't, you know, have sex and become married and become best friends.")

Though still young, McAvoy seems an incredibly well-travelled actor. His policy of mixing it up will continue with the animated Arthur Christmas out in November and a London crime thriller, Welcome To The Punch, to shoot soon.

He doesn't scoff at the term "veteran".

"I mean, I have been doing it a long time. When I did (British comedy) Starter For 10, I was 25, and even in that I was the only one with a lot of experience," he laughs.

"On X-Men, Fassbender and I often felt like granddad. Fun, cool, likes-to-do-stuff granddad. But sometimes you'd be left totally outside of the reference of a conversation. Rose Byrne and I a couple of times caught each other's eye and gave it a, 'F---in' hell, what are we doing, man?' But that's the joy of getting older - you know your place."

McAvoy also knows there is a place for mind-reading. And that place is only in the movies. He did not bother to attempt any of Professor Xavier's mind-control tricks off-set.

"If I was that method actor, I would gladly ask somebody to shoot me," he groans. "It's just my ego that makes me think I know what anybody's thinking."

* X-Men: First Class opens today
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:05 pm

http://crushable.com/entertainment/x-men-first-class-is-actually-a-love-story-between-james-mcavoy-and-michael-fassbender/

Tuesday, June 7 - 5:27 pm ET

‘X-Men: First Class’ Is Actually a Love Story Between James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender
1 day ago by Natalie Zutter

Whereas I might have been the only person to see the love connection going on between The Rock and Vin Diesel in Fast Five, there is so much HoYay* going on between super-best-friends Erik Lensherr and Charles Xavier in X-Men: First Class that it’s astonishing that them being lovers isn’t canon.

I’ll say it now: I think the reason that I never saw this bromance for what it was in the 2000-era X-Men movies is because Professor X and Magneto were being played by old men. In First Class, they’re eager young lads as wonderfully portrayed by James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender, so it’s certainly easier to slash them. But the evidence is there!

Let’s start with their first meeting. Charles and crew, trying to get the drop on Sebastian Shaw and his mutants, spot Erik in the water trying to hold on to Shaw’s submarine with his powers. (OK, that was a really charged sentence.) Charles leaps into the water and grabs Erik — a stranger — from behind, yelling, “You’ll die if you hold on! You have to let go!” He literally embraces him, shows him that there are people like him.

Because this is a “let’s get the gang together” kind of prequel, Erik is the quintessential resistor: He wants only revenge and doesn’t care about honing his powers or building alliances with humans. (Anakin Skywalker wishes he had such a nuanced origin story.) The only person he really socializes with is Charles, with their late-night chess games and moral debates. Of the group, these two have had the most training, though it’s come in different ways: A cultured, cushy education for Charles versus torture and abuse at the hands of the Nazi Shaw for Erik.

What it comes down to is that they’re both lonely and in need of a support system that neither Moira MacTaggert (Rose Byrne) nor Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence) can provide.

The scene that really got me was when Erik — who is willing to train, but only with Charles — struggles to rotate a satellite dish hundreds of yards away. When he becomes consistently frustrated with his inability to do so, Charles asks to be let into his mind. By unearthing a buried memory of Erik’s mother, he finds the key to harnessing Erik’s power: The moment between rage and serenity. You don’t get much more intimate than that.

That’s why Erik’s decision to become Magneto and work against the fledgling X-Men is so devastating. Charles thought he had an intellectual equal, someone who complemented him — we’ve got a total mind-versus-body dynamic going on here — and shared in his desire to mentor other mutants. When Magneto puts on Shaw’s helmet, he’s not just adopting a supervillain symbol: He’s forcing Charles out of his head and his heart.

“We’re brothers!” Erik shouts at Charles in the climactic battle scene, when they’ve taken opposing sides. But what he really means is that he hasn’t loved anyone like this and that Charles should join him in killing humans, because no one else can understand him like Erik can.

And if you need more convincing, check out the f&#! Yeah Charles and Erik Tumblr — be warned for movie spoilers and potentially creepy photo manips.

* HoYay = “Homoeroticism, Yay!” — a term that originated on the Television Without Pity boards, though I don’t remember for which fandom. Basically, it describes pretty men potentially eye-f#%@#&! each other.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:26 am

http://entertainment.inquirer.net/2997/mcavoy-talks-about-%E2%80%98first-class%E2%80%99-fatherhood-and-redford

McAvoy talks about ‘First Class,’ fatherhood and Redford
By: Ruben V. Nepales
Philippine Daily Inquirer
8:01 pm | 8:01 pm

MCAVOY. “I don’t cut my hair in between jobs.” AP

LOS ANGELES – Like Christian Bale, James McAvoy grows his hair long when he is “unemployed.” “I don’t cut my hair in between jobs,” explained the actor, who is winning new fans and positive reviews for his take on Charles Xavier in “X-Men: First Class.”

So, how long does his hair get? “It depends on how long the period of unemployment is,” he cracked.

James has never lacked projects since he captivated moviegoers as Mr. Tumnus in “The Chronicles of Narnia: the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.” But, with the box-office success and good buzz, especially for his chemistry with Michael Fassbender as Magneto, in “First Class,” it looks like he’s going to have more frequent haircuts. Many filmgoers want to see more of James and Michael, who effectively portray how their characters were great friends before they became arch enemies.

Luxury

James’ career took off since he appeared as the faun in “Narnia,” but in our interviews with him over the years, he has stayed the same – genial and down-to-earth. In this recent chat, James, now 32, claimed that he gets “grumpier” as he gets older, but he’s really still Mr. Nice Guy. Maybe he just needs to sleep more, a luxury he hasn’t had since the birth of his son, Brendan, with wife, actress Anne-Marie Duff, last year.

Excerpts from our interview:

Can you talk about Michael Fassbender’s naughty streak?

Michael has a naughty streak, yes – that’s why we both click. It was really important when we were trying to develop a relationship that was going to fuel this movie’s emotional core that we got on. When we first met during the casting, we both felt like, “God, let it be us two.” We both felt that we had an ally in each other. We share a similar sense of humor. We could push things a little more, not get too serious and keep a perspective about it because making these massive, ridiculous movies can sometimes be mind-breaking. Sense of humor is important. Michael definitely has one – and thank God for that!

How did you approach the role, knowing that it has been played in previous films by Patrick Stewart?

I turned more to the comic books, because I thought the fans might appreciate it. I wanted to show a little difference. Since I play the younger Charles Xavier, he’s less in control of his powers. So, maybe, he has little tics and crutches to help him through it. I took a lot of notes on the characterization that already exists, but it was important to me that there’d be something different throughout the movie.

I tried to think what Patrick Stewart was like as Prof. Charles Xavier. He’s a leader, wise and saintly – so, I tried to make him un-saintly and unwise, a little bit of a lady chaser and a drinker just to show that he’s younger and less focused. He’s not yet this man with a mission, not yet a servant of the world. He’s a servant of his personal whimsy.

In the movie, you have a genetic mutation-related pickup line. When you were single, did you have a good pickup line?

Relationship

I’ve been in a relationship for a long time. My pickup lines before that time weren’t very well executed. They were quite lame.

What was your conversation starter?

“What do you do for a living?” You see, I’m not very good at this. You can see why I’m very happily married.

Matthew Vaughn directed this film but with Bryan Singer, who directed the first two “X-Men” movies, as one of the producers, how much input did Bryan give?

What Bryan was brilliant at was knowing when he could help and leaving Matthew to make his own decisions when everything was fine. When Bryan needed to step in and help Matthew, that’s what he was there for – to execute what Matthew wanted to do. Bryan saw a boundary where he probably thought, “That’s not my actor. He’s Matthew’s actor.”

Restraint

There was so much restraint exhibited there, because with Bryan’s back catalogue and the fact that he helped originate “X-Men” on film, he could have strolled in and started calling the shots. But, he really left us to build a relationship with Matthew, which was clever of him.

Can you talk about being directed by Robert Redford in “The Conspirator”?

Robert Redford was probably the most calming influence I’ve ever had as a director. Bob’s greatest and most used note to me was, “Do less.” It sounds rubbish, like a cliché to do less, but the way he directs is to strip away all the work and let the story come out – you don’t need to do anything else. The story is so strong that you just help tell it. Don’t get in the way of the story. That was quite a scary thing as an actor to begin with, because you’re usually trying to make scenes more interesting. Bob’s point as a director is that you don’t have to make anything interesting.

How was your first year being a father?

When people say, “If you don’t have children, you won’t understand,” that’s not true. The lack of sleep is the thing that you don’t understand. I’m still coming to terms with that. The bags under my eyes – that’s the biggest thing I’ll take away from the first year.

What are your best and worst qualities?

My worst quality is that I’m sometimes very grumpy. I’m getting grumpier the older I get. I never used to think of myself like that. My best quality is, I try to respect everyone. But, with my newfound grumpiness, it doesn’t take long to see if this person doesn’t deserve respect.

Since you used to be a baker, can you share a pastry recipe?

I was very bad at pastry. I did the final decorating for a lot of cakes. However, I recently discovered a recipe which I’m very fond of, because it allows me to make cookies within minutes, from the moment I say, “I want a cookie!” I can have cookies made and ready to eat within 25 minutes and they’re really good. You just need a good mixing bowl and a strong arm. You get the butter out of the fridge warmed up. It’s just self-raising flour, sugar, honey and dried apricots – they go really chewy. No eggs.

What has been your weirdest encounter with a fan?

I don’t want to make the girl feel bad, but she’s a very lovely fan, who made some beautiful things, written a song and put together a Photoshop of my pictures. I didn’t realize that the lady was a fan, but I was talking to her for about 20 minutes. I thought she just happened to be standing next to me in a bar. But I realized that I was being followed there! So, that was kind of weird, though there was nothing strange or threatening. It was just the shock of realizing, “Oh wow, I’ve been tailed.”

Email rvnepales_5585@yahoo.com.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:24 am

http://www.queerty.com/james-mcavoy-was-hoping-that-he-and-michael-fassbender-would-be-involved-in-some-x-man-on-x-man-action-20110607/

James McAvoy Was Hoping That He and Michael Fassbender Would Be Involved In Some X-Man-on-X-Man Action

“It is a little bit of a mini-tragedy that [Xavier] and Magneto don’t, you know, have sex and become married and become best friends,” said X-Men: First Class star James McAvoy to Australian newspaper The Daily Telegraph, a statement that has probably rankled die-hard fanboys and tightened the trousers of die-hard fangays.

But we agree with McAvoy. It’s high time ambiguously gay subtext at long last became text in at least one of these films. We also think Wolverine and Thor should join them in a committed polyamorous relationship. If anyone could make that kind of thing work it would be guys with superpowers.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:05 pm

http://www.heatworld.com/Entertainment/Films/2011/06/James-McAvoy-wants-two-more-X-Men-movies/

James McAvoy wants two more X-Men movies

Posted by heatworld 03 June 2011 14:45

The brand new X-Men prequel, X-Men: First Class, only landed in Cinemas this Wednesday, but James McAvoy – who of course plays a young Charles Xavier in the movie – is already thinking about sequals.

Speaking to Hero Complex James said, “Ideally you have a story arc that lasts three movies and at the end of the third it leaves you ready for the story in X-Men 1. It would be nice to explore things in two more films.

“I keep hearing bits and bobs from the different founts that there are or the different mouths that there are on this job. All I know is that if this one makes some money, they will definitely want to make another one. We’ve had pretty strong critical reaction thus far.”

If there is a follow-up film James and his co-star Michael Fassbender have a clear vision of where the franchise should go next, “I’ve lots of ideas. I know Michael and I are very much on the same page all the time, and we’ll be weighing in to protect that relationship between the two characters. The next movie, if there is one, shouldn’t just start off with them being pals again, but I think it also shouldn’t be like the first movies only set in the 1960s. If we get another, let’s not just make Magneto the bad guy; of course he’s a bad-ass and of course he has a whole different ethos, but making a movie that is black-and-white is going to lose the thing that we have in this one.”

Have you seen X-Men: First Class yet? Do you agree with James that there needs to be two more movies, or is one quite enough?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:46 pm

http://www.irishcentral.com/story/ent/amyandrews_gossipgirl/x-mens-james-mcevoy-says-costar-michael-fassbender-would-make-a-great-james-bond-123989834.html

Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2011 at 09:27 AM

‘X-Men’s’ James McEvoy says costar Michael Fassbender would make a great ‘James Bond’

James McAvoy, the Scottish-born star of X-Men: First Class, thinks his Irish co-star Michael Fassbender would make an excellent James Bond when the time comes to cast a new version of the British super-spy, currently portrayed by Daniel Craig.

The rising star Fassbender, born in Germany but raised in Killarney, Co. Kerry by his Irish mother and German father, is one of the names being bandied about as a possible future Bond; McAvoy is on the list as well. But Fassbender would shake and stir better than all of them, McAvoy contends.

“Now Michael, there’s a man who would be the ideal replacement when Craig steps down. He does such a great job in X-Men evoking the sixties Bond era, with the clothes and the swagger and the attitude . . . it’d be a brave person to bet against him getting it down the line,” McAvoy told the Sunday World in Dublin last weekend.

“Plus an Irish Bond would make a nice change of pace. He could swap the martinis for real pints!”

Fassbender wouldn’t be the first Irish Bond, of course. Pierce Brosnan memorably played 007 four times, and his films garnered well in excess of $1.5 billion for the legendary franchise’s coffers.

McAvoy is doing the rounds promoting X-Men in Europe, and told the Sunday World of his enduring fondness for Ireland. His wife is the British actress Ann Marie Duff, whose parents emigrated to the U.K. from Ireland.

“I’ve a big connection to Ireland thanks to my wife’s roots and we try and get over whenever we can. I’ve worked there so much in the past . . . I’d just love to work there again,” he said.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down