Michael Fassbender Fans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top News
WE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT MICHAEL-AN AWARD WINNING ACTOR

Congratulations to the cast and crew of "12 Years a Slave" winning an Oscar for Best Picture

Michael is currently filming "MacBeth"

Watch "12 Years A Slave" and "Frank" in theaters

Watch "The Counselor" and "12 Years A Slave" on DVD available now

Michael is set to star and produce on a film version of the video game "Assassin's Creed"

Completed projects: X-Men, Untitled Malik project

Upcoming projects Assassin's Creed, Prometheus 2, MacBeth,and more!

Header credit here

MFmultiply's Disclaimer

Order region 1 dvds-Amazon store

Order region 2-UK dvds-Amazon Shoppe

Please check the calender for films on TV, Theater, or dvd releases
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

BBC Jane Eyre?

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

BBC Jane Eyre? Empty BBC Jane Eyre?

Post by Admin Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:24 pm

http://www.screendaily.com/reports/interviews/in-the-loop/5008004.article

Here's just a snippet of the article which actually talks about the direction BBC should go with new top dogs. But here's the first of news that we've heard about Michael's involvement with a Jane Eyre project. Of course, after Michael had been set for Wuthering Heights and then nothing happened, we wait to actually see filming dates.

There is a paradox, though: BBC Films needs to be outward-looking at the same time as it seeks to harness the BBC’s internal strengths. That means attracting international talent, such as Japanese-American director Cary Fukunaga (Sin Nombre), to direct Jane Eyre with Michael Fassbender already cast as Rochester.

As well as Jane Eyre, the division is involved in other “known brands” based on what Langan refers to as “loved iconic material”.

It sounds like Jane is a go, we just have to wait and see.

But I think Michael will do a great job as Rochester, if it happens.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

BBC Jane Eyre? Empty Re: BBC Jane Eyre?

Post by Admin Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:30 pm

Had to add, I think it says something about your talent when everyone wants you to play some of the most beloved and famous characters around.

It's also nice to hear Michael rack up projects, after being so quiet since August, after IB.

If he actually does Jane, that could lead him to wonderful places. He just needs a good swoon movie that he can make his own. Then all craziness will break loose on forums.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:40 am

Variety now confirms:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118011645.html?categoryId=2431&cs=1

Posted: Thurs., Nov. 19, 2009, 8:00pm PT

Wasikowska in talks for 'Jane Eyre'
Fassbender may also co-star in Fukunaga's adaptation
By ALI JAAFAR

Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender are in negotiations to star in "Sin nombre" helmer Cary Fukunaga's feature adaptation of Charlotte Bronte's classic novel, "Jane Eyre."

Brit shingle Ruby Films' Alison Owen and Paul Trijbits are producing with BBC Films and Focus Features from a script by Moira Buffini.

Project is a period piece but will play up the gothic elements of the story about Jane (Wasikowska), a demure governess who discovers her surly employer Rochester (Fassbender) is harboring a dark secret. The book is one of the most iconic in English literature and has been the subject of numerous previous adaptations.

Wasikowska will next be seen as Alice alongside Johnny Depp in Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland," which Disney is releasing next year. The actress is also set to star in helmer Gus Van Sant's untitled project for producers Dallas Bryce Howard and Imagine's Ron Howard and Brian Grazer.

Fassbender previously appeared in Steve McQueen's "Hunger," Quentin Tarantino's "Inglourious Basterds" and Andrea Arnold's "Fish Tank."

He will next be seen in Neil Marshall's Roman actioner "Centurion" and Warner Bros.' "Jonah Hex" opposite Josh Brolin and Megan Fox.

Ellen Page was previously attached to star as the eponymous heroine but left the project some time ago.

Lensing is due to begin next year.

thanks to Kamasa on MFO for bringing this up last week
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:42 am

Michael I don't ask much of you...

but I hope that this works out for you.

I really, really do!

All I want for Christmas...make it happen!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:14 am

Here's more talk:

http://www.moviehole.net/200921618-jane-in-wonderland

Jane in Wonderland
by Clint Morris (Thursday, November 19th, 2009 at 11:48 pm )

Australia’s Mia Wasikowska is in talks to play the title role in director Cary Fukunaga's feature film adaptation of Charlotte Brontë’s “Jane Eyre”.

The actress, next seen in Tim Burton’s “Alice in Wonderland”, would replace Ellen Page (god, when isn’t Ellen Page being replaced!?). Michael Fassbender (“Inglorious Basterds”) is also in talks.

The project, says Variety, is a period piece but will play up the gothic elements of the story about Jane (Wasikowska), a demure governess who discovers her surly employer Rochester (Fassbender) is harboring a dark secret.

Actresses that have played Jane Eyre in the past include Anna Paquin (1996’s Jane Eyre”), Joan Fontaine (1944’s “Jane Eyre”), and Ruth Wilson (2006’s “Jane Eyre”).

Last edited by greyeyegoddess on Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:54 am

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/11/19/mia-wasikowska-and-michael-fassbender-joining-jane-eyre-from-sin-nombre-director-cary-fukunaga/

Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender Joining Jane Eyre, From Sin Nombre Director Cary Fukunaga

Posted on Thursday, November 19th, 2009 by Russ Fischer

BBC Jane Eyre? Wasiko10

Oh, this is some good stuff. I was a little surprised recently when the announcement came down that Cary Fukunaga, who directed the very excellent Sin Nombre, would adapt Charlotte Bronte’s classic novel Jane Eyre as his next film. But I liked Sin Nombre so much that I’ll watch anything Fukunaga does at this point. Especially now that he’s likely to have Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender in the lead roles.

Variety reports that Wasikowska and Fassbender are in talks. Wasikowska is the lead in Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland and, in general, is starting to seem like one of the more interesting young actresses out there right now. She’s drawing a good balance between big moneymaking stuff (Alice) and more interesting films (this one, That Evening Sun and Gus Van Sant’s new one). And Fassbender isn’t doing too badly on his end, either. Inglourious Basterds was notable, yes, and he’s got some fun and interesting stuff coming up too, like Jonah Hex and Birdsong, with Brian Cox and Paddy Considine. Interesting duo, these two, and I think they can knock it out of the park, especially working for Fukunaga.

Sadly, the trade casting break doesn’t add anything new to our info bank about the film. It reiterates that Moira Buffini’s script is said to retain a period setting and play up the gothic elements of the original novel. So I’m stuck where I was when I last wrote about the film, guessing that of all the major adaptations of Jane Eyre this could be most like the 1944 version with Joan Fontaine, Margaret O’Brien and Orson Welles. But that’s just a guess, based on very little real info about the film. And with this trio of names (quartet, really, including Buffini) I don’t need any more. I want to hear that this has really started rolling so I can begin looking forward to footage.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:48 pm

Wake up and everyone's talking about Michael and Jane Eyre.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Mia-Wasikowska-And-Michael-Fassbender-Starring-In-Jane-Eyre-15784.html

Mia Wasikowska And Michael Fassbender Starring In Jane Eyre
By Katey Rich: 2009-11-20 09:56:56
ShareThis
Mia Wasikowska And Michael Fassbender Starring In Jane Eyre Every now and then a young actor manages to snap up so many roles before they make a big debut that they start to seem like a star even before the vast majority of moviegoers have ever laid eyes on them. It happened recently to Sam Worthington, who was the star of Avatar even before most of us saw him for the first time in Terminator: Salvation, and now it seems to be the case for fellow Aussie Mia Wasikowska. The 20-year-old actress has had roles on In Treatment and the recent indie That Evening Sun, but her breakthrough is almost certainly going to be next spring's Alice in Wonderland. No matter how that movie
turns out, though, she'll be all set for work.

Wasikowska has landed the plum lead role in Jane Eyre, director Cary Fukunaga's adaptation of the Charlotte Bronte classic, about a governess who discovers her employer's dark secret. In excellent news for fans of Inglourious Basterds and suave British accents, Variety reports that Michael Fassbender has been hired as the dark Rochester, and will doubtlessly bring the same Alec Guinness accent that he did as Archie Hicox.

Fukunaga's directorial debut Sin nombre was a big critical hit earlier this year, and while Jane Eyre seems like a gigantic change of pace, I can't wait to see what he does with it. You're a lucky girl, Mia Wasikowska-- you'd better be worth all the roles you've been cast in.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:56 pm

http://mynewplaidpants.blogspot.com/2009/11/i-am-link_20.html

--- Clearing the Eyre - As long as we're talking books, here's a lil' factoid: somehow I graduated with a degree in English without ever flipping open a copy of Jane Eyre in my entire life. So there's that. Higher education works! I've never even seen a film version. But I will have seen a film version once this one is out: DH reports that Michael Fassbender has signed on to play "Rochester" opposite Tim Burton's Alice (aka Mia Wasikowska) in an adaptation of Charlotte Bronte's classic. And as I've made clear as of late, I'm rather fond of Michael Fassbender. Rather fond indeed. Swoon.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:04 pm

http://www.indielondon.co.uk/Film-Review/mia-wasikowska-in-talks-for-jane-eyre

Mia Wasikowska in talks for Jane Eyre

Story by Jack Foley

RISING young star Mia Wasikowska is in negotiations to replace Ellen Page on a new adaptation of Jane Eyre.

The actress would possibly join Hunger’s Michael Fassbender on Cary Fukunaga’s adaptation of the classic novel by Charlotte Bronte, according to Variety.

The film would remain true to the period setting but intends to play up the gothic elements of the story.

It will focus on Jane (Wasikowska), a demure governess who discovers that her employer Rochester (Fassbender) harbours a dark secret.

Rising star Wasikowska shot to prominence as part of the ensemble cast of acclaimed HBO psychological drama In Treatment, before being chosen by Tim Burton to play Alice alongside Johnny Depp in Alice in Wonderland.

She is also starring in Gus Van Sant’s new, as yet untitled project.

Fassbender,who was most recently in Inglourious Basterds and Fish Tank, will next be seen in Neil Marshall’s Roman epic Centurion and futuristic Western Jonah Hex, alongside Josh Brolin and Megan Fox.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:06 pm

http://liveforfilms.wordpress.com/2009/11/20/jane-eyre-mia-wasikowska-and-michael-fassbender-may-star-in-sin-nombre-directors-next-film/

Jane Eyre – Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender may star in Sin nombre director’s next film

Posted by liveforfilms on November 20, 2009

Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender are currently in negotiations to star in “Sin nombre” Cary Fukunaga’s (Sin nombre) adaptation of Charlotte Bronte’s classic novel, Jane Eyre.

The film is to be a period piece but will play up the gothic elements of the story about Jane (Wasikowska), a demure governess who discovers her surly employer Rochester (Fassbender) is harboring a dark secret.

Wasikowska will next be seen as Alice alongside Johnny Depp in Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland, which Disney is releasing next year. The actress is also going to be in Gus Van Sant’s untitled project for producers Bryce Dallas Howard and Imagine’s Ron Howard and Brian Grazer.

I don’t think I have actually seen her in anything yet so not sure how good an actress she is. Ellen Page (Juno, Inception) was originally down to play Jane, but has since left the project.

Fassbender previously appeared in Steve McQueen’s Hunger, Quentin Tarantino’s Inglourious Basterds and Andrea Arnold’s Fish Tank.

He will next be seen in Neil Marshall’s Roman action film Centurion and Warner Bros. comic book western Jonah Hex opposite Josh Brolin and Megan Fox.

Fassbender is a totally solid actor. He was spot on as Basterd and just seems to be going from strength to strength which each new film. I have no doubt he will make a splendid Rochester.

I am just really curious to see what Fukunaga will do with this classic tale. Shooting is due to start next year.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:11 pm

http://imtsinghua.com.cn/2009/11/20/mia-wasikowska-and-michael-fassbender-joining-jane-eyre-from-sin-nombre-director-cary-fukunaga/

BBC Jane Eyre? Film1610

Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender Joining Jane Eyre, From Sin Nombre Director Cary Fukunaga
November 20, 2009

Oh, this is some good stuff. I was a little surprised recently when the announcement came down that Cary Fukunaga, who directed the very excellent Sin Nombre, would adapt Charlotte Bronte’s classic novel Jane Eyre as his next film. But I liked Sin Nombre so much that I’ll watch anything Fukunaga does at this point. Especially now that he’s likely to have Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender in the lead roles.

Variety reports that Wasikowska and Fassbender are in talks. Wasikowska is the lead in Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland and, in general, is starting to seem like one of the more interesting young actresses out there right now. She’s drawing a good balance between big moneymaking stuff (Alice) and more interesting films (this one, That Evening Sun and Gus Van Sant’s new one). And Fassbender isn’t doing too badly on his end, either. Inglourious Basterds was notable, yes, and he’s got some fun and interesting stuff coming up too, like Jonah Hex and Birdsong, with Brian Cox and Paddy Considine. Interesting duo, these two, and I think they can knock it out of the park, especially working for Fukunaga.

Sadly, the trade casting break doesn’t add anything new to our info bank about the film. It reiterates that Moira Buffini’s script is said to retain a period setting and play up the gothic elements of the original novel. So I’m stuck where I was when I last wrote about the film, guessing that of all the major adaptations of Jane Eyre this could be most like the 1944 version with Joan Fontaine, Margaret O’Brien and Orson Welles. But that’s just a guess, based on very little real info about the film. And with this trio of names (quartet, really, including Buffini) I don’t need any more. I want to hear that this has really started rolling so I can begin looking forward to footage.

Last edited by greyeyegoddess on Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:15 pm

http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=26336&WT.rss_a=New%20Jane%20Eyre%20Gets%20Hot-Right-Now%20Cast&WT.rss_ev=a

20 November 2009
New Jane Eyre Gets Hot-Right-Now Cast
Fassbender and Wasikowska in talks
Source: Variety

Reader, she's in talks to marry him. Mia Wasikowska, about to hit our screens as Alice in Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, is in talks to star with the ace Michael Fassbender in Jane Eyre, a new adaptation of the classic novel.

For those of you who slept through your literature classes, the novel by Charlotte Bronte tells the story of a young governess called Jane who goes to work for the surly and frightening Mr Rochester. Strange noises in the house and odd events seem to point to some sort of haunting or sinister goings-on, but it's only gradually that the truth becomes clear.

While we're going to have to wait for Alice to make any call on Wasikowska's suitability for Jane, we reckon that Fassbender's a good call for Rochester, with both the ability to be moody and terrifying that's called for and the charisma to make him nevertheless appealing. Rochester is, after all, one of the iconic (anti)heroes of that period of literature (on a direct line from Mr Darcy to Heathcliff), so you need an actor with a bit of gumption.

Sin Nombre's Cary Fukunaga is directing this version, based on a script by Moira Buffini. The book has been adapted many times before, but not since 1996 on the big screen (that was the Charlotte Gainsbourg / William Hurt version) and not since 2006 at all.
Helen O'Hara
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:24 pm

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/mia-wasikowski-the-new-jane-eyre-rruin.php

I was looking forward to seeing Ellen Page as Jane Eyre, wondering how she would handle the role of the poor governess from the wrong side of the moors. The star of Juno might have been able to bring a new twist to a character that has been filmed at least nineteen times. Or could be a thousand. IMDb isn’t always accurate. My favorite Jane is Andrea Martin in the Second City TV “Jane Airhead”. Her work in the role stands alone.

As for serious Jane’s the role has been played by Charlotte Gainsborough, Joan Fontaine, Samantha Morton. Anna Paquin played the young version of Jane to Morton’s grown up Jane. My apologies to the multitude of Janes unnamed but that would go on for too many paragraphs. So many Jane Eyres, so little time.

Now according to Variety, Mia Wasikowski, Alice in Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland is in talks to step into the role of the plain Jane governess who finds true love with Mr. Rochester, that guy with the crazy first wife residing in the attic of his foreboding mansion Thornfield. Michael Fassbender (300, Inglourious Basterds), is reported to be in talks to play the miserable brooding, yet of course handsome Mr. Rochester.

The word from is the original casting of the Canadian Page as the very British Jane didn’t sit well among the British. I say that’s why it’s called acting. Actors play people unlike themselves, remember? But, I can understand their pain. Too many British favorites were being poached by actors in North America. Losing the colonies was a tough blow, but losing Bridget Jones and Beatrix Potter to Renee Zellweger, Jane Austin to Anne Hathaway was too too much.

Either way it didn’t matter since Page dropped out and the casting call has Mia Wasikowski on the Jane Eyre radar.

Sin nombre” director Cary Fukunaga will helm the newest incarnation of Charlotte Bronte’s tale of brooding love among depressed miserable people with seriously messed up secrets. Alright, I’m being harsh, but do we need yet another Jane Eyre?

What do you think? Do we need yet another visit to Jane Eyre, Edward Rochester and his ward Adele?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:19 pm

http://geektyrant.com/2009/11/wasikowska-fassbender-in-talks-for-jane-eyre-movie-adaptation/

BBC Jane Eyre? Wasiko10

Wasikowska & Fassbender in talks for JANE EYRE movie adaptation
Ranted: November 20, 09 0 - By abefroman

Mia Wasikowska(Alice In Wonderland/Defiance) and Michael Fassbender(Inglourious Basterds/300) are in negotiations to star in BBC/Focus Feature’s big-screen adaptation of Charlotte Bronte’s classic novel Jane Eyre.

The film is being directed by Cary Fukunaga(Sin nombre) from a script by Moira Buffini. The project is a period piece but will play up the gothic elements of the story. The iconic piece of English literature has been the subject of numerous previous adaptations… and many book reports.

In the role Ellen Page was originally attached to some time ago, Wasikowska would take on the title character of Jane, a demure governess who discovers her surly employer Rochester (Fassbender) is harboring a dark secret.

We’ll see soon enough how well Wasikowska does as a leading lady, when she stars opposite Johnny Depp in Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland. I thought she did a fantastic job in Defiance. Fassbender has been consistently amazing and transformative in all his roles. He will next be seen in Neil Marshall’s Centurion, as well as opposite Josh Brolin in Jonah Hex.

Ruby Films’ Alison Owen and Paul Trijbits are producing Jane Eyre, with aims to begin shooting next year.

What do you think of Wasikowska and Fassbender taking on the roles of Jane and Rochester?

Source: Variety

In case you need a bigger brush up, here’s the Cliffsnotes Book Summary for Jane Eyre:

When Jane returns to Thornfield, the houseguests have left. Rochester tells Jane he will soon marry Blanche, so she and Adèle will need to leave Thornfield. In the middle of this charade, Jane reveals her love for him, and the two end up engaged. Jane is happy to be marrying the man she loves, but during the month before the wedding she is plagued by strange dreams of a destroyed Thornfield and a wailing infant. Two nights before the wedding, a frightening, dark-haired woman enters her room and rips her wedding veil in two. Although Jane is certain this woman didn’t look like Grace Poole, Rochester assures her it must have been the bizarre servant. The morning of the wedding finally arrives. Jane and Rochester stand at the altar, taking their vows, when suddenly a strange man announces there’s an impediment to the marriage: Rochester is already married to a woman named Bertha Antoinetta Mason. Rochester rushes the wedding party back to Thornfield, where they find his insane and repulsive wife locked in a room on the third story. Grace Poole is the woman’s keeper, but Bertha was responsible for the strange laughter and violence at Thornfield. Rochester tries to convince Jane to become his mistress and move with him to a pleasure villa in the south of France.

Last edited by greyeyegoddess on Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:30 pm

http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/2009/11/20/fassbender-and-wasikowska-to-star-in-jane-eyre/

BBC Jane Eyre? Fassbe11

Fassbender and Wasikowska To Star in Jane Eyre?

Posted by Jon Lyus on November 20, 2009

fassbender wasikowskaFollowing his success with Sin Nombre Cary Fukunaga is to adapt Charlotte Bronte’s Jane Eyre from a script by Moira Buffini, and today rumours blossomed that soon-to-be Alice In Wonderland MiaWasikowska is in talks to play the eponymous heroine.

Jane Eyre has been adapted many times in recent years with actresses such as Samantha Morton and Charlotte Gainsbourg taking the lead role, now Focus Features and BBC films look to the relative newcomer to play the governess of Thornfield Manor.

Variety also report that my favourite Inglourious Basterd Michael Fassbender is considering the role of Mr Rochester. While literary adaptations, particularly those under the constraints of a feature film’s running time, rely on a tightly constructed abridging of the original work it is the actors breathing new life into well known characters that ensure a success or deliver a failure.

Fassbender showed his quality in Steve McQueen’s Hunger and is quickly establishing himself as a fine character actor, and while Tim Burton has placed the fate of his version of Alice in Wasikowska’s hands, we’ll wait to see how she fares as that famous literary heroine before looking forward to her take on Bronte’s classic creation.

Last edited by greyeyegoddess on Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:37 pm

http://ramascreen.com/wasikowska-and-fassbender-in-jane-eyre/

BBC Jane Eyre? Jane-e10

Wasikowska And Fassbender In JANE EYRE
Posted by Rama On November - 20 - 2009

Real quick now, the actress who will find herself back in Wonderland, Mia Wasikowska (Alice In Wonderland 3D) and the man who defied Persian Empire and the Nazis, Michael Fassbender (300, Inglourious Basterds) are in talks to star in JANE EYRE. Not too long ago, it was announced that the director of Sin Nombre, Cary Fukunaga is going to try to bring another version of JANE EYRE to the big screen. There have been several adaptations of this classic Charlotte Bronte literature, Ellen Page was once attached to star but she exited the project, and the lead role, according to Variety will now most likely go to Wasikowska… who will play a young orphan woman struggling to make a life for herself. Jane Eyre is a poor young teacher who works for the rich and mysterious Mr. Rochester (Fassbender). At first Jane has little to do with her employer, but she soon finds herself falling in love with him. Rochester loves Jane too, but he has a terrible secret from his past. Tragedy follows when Jane learns the truth. Will their love survive?

The script has been written already by Moira Buffini who penned the adaptation of Posy Simmonds‘ graphic novel TAMARA DREW.

Last edited by greyeyegoddess on Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:41 pm

http://gordonandthewhale.com/casting-chatter-for-cary-fukunagas-jane-eyre/

BBC Jane Eyre? Mia-an10

Casting chatter for Cary Fukunaga’s JANE EYRE
Kate Erbland
by: Kate Erbland
November 20th, 2009

Now these are some casting ideas I can get behind. Almost a month ago, Rusty told us about SIN NOMBRE director Cary Fukunaga’s next project – a new JANE EYRE adaptation. Now we’re starting to get some casting rumors that are ratcheting up my already-extreme level of anticipation for this new take on the classic Charlotte Brontë tale. Fukunaga apparently has two incredibly interesting choices in the running to play the leading couple at the center of the classic story. Mia Wasikowska is in negotiations to play Jane and Michael Fassbender is being tapped for the role of Mr. Rochester.

Wasikowska will soon be seen in Tim Burton’s ALICE IN WONDERLAND as Alice herself. It’s her first big, starring role, but her resume thus far has been varied and interesting, including roles in DEFIANCE and THAT EVENING SUN. She’s currently filming Gus Van Sant’s latest, RESTLESS, in which she will star alongside Dennis Hopper’s son, Henry.

Fassbender is, in my opinion, one of the most exciting new actors working today. After working pretty steadily in television (mainly in Britain), he burnt through the screen as Bobby Sands in Steve McQueen’s searing HUNGER. He was nominated for a number of awards for the role, ultimately winning the BAFTA and the IFTA for his work. He was last seen in INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS and has a role in the upcoming JONAH HEX.

Wasikowska was hand-picked by Burton for the huge role of Alice, and I am looking forward to seeing her shine on screen. Some of the traits I expect to see in her Alice match with Jane – a young girl thrown into a new world who falters and ultimately succeeds through self-reliance and discovery. Fassbender has the sort of charm essential to the dashing and guarded Rochester, and his work in HUNGER proves that he is more than willing to go to the limit in terms of his physical look (those of you familiar with the Eyre story will know to which I am referring).

This is the project that Ellen Page was once attached to star in, but she dropped out of it some time ago. Personally, I like Page, but I don’t think she has yet proven she could tap into the restrained heat of a headstrong lady like Jane.

I am keeping my fingers, toes, arms, and legs crossed that this casting comes through. Fukunaga and JANE EYRE deserve an excellent cast, and Wasikowska and Fassbender have just catapulted over all other possibilities to be my favorites for their respective roles.

Last edited by greyeyegoddess on Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:51 pm

http://www.collider.com/2009/11/20/mia-wasikowska-and-michael-fassbender-team-up-for-new-jane-eyre-adaptation/

Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender Team Up For New JANE EYRE Adaptation
by Ramses Flores Posted:November 20th, 2009 at 12:44 pm

BBC Jane Eyre? Slice_10

Mia Wasikowska (Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland) and Michael Fassbender (Inglourious Basterds) seem to be on their way to becoming two of the biggest rising stars out there right now. Both actors are now teaming up with director Cary Fukunaga (Sin Nombre) in bringing another adaption of the classic novel Jane Eyre to the big screen. I don’t know if anyone was really hoping for another one, but the talent involved definitely has me interested now. You can read the details after the jump.

Variety reports that the film will be a period piece and will play up the gothic elements of the story. Published in 1847, the classic novel tells the story of Jane (Wasikowska), a demure governess who discovers her surly employer Rochester (Fassbender) is harboring a dark secret. Ellen Page was once attached to the project to play the title role, but has since left the project.

I still haven’t seen Sin Nombre yet, but I’m sure that Fukunaga is a name to watch. His directorial debut has received nothing but high praise and I’m sure his Jane Eyre film will be on everyone’s radars as it prepares to hit theaters. This is due in part to the fact that Wasikowksa will next be seen as Alice in Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland and will also star in Gus Van Sant’s untitled next film, which was previously entitled Restless. As for Fassbender, he definitely going to garner some attention next year as he stars in Neil Marshall’s (The Descent) Roman action film, Centurion, and co-stars alongside Josh Brolin and Megan Fox in Jonah Hex.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:54 pm

IMBD now has Michael attached to Jane Eyre, but not yet to A Single Shot
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:55 pm

http://specialhell.livejournal.com/53466.html

I am not sure how I feel about the news that Michael Fassbender's up for the role of Rochester, mostly because Toby Stephens' Rochester was so awesome and the 2006 adaptation was really very good and is still fresh in my mind. But on the other hand I am very sure he will do an awesome job, and I still equally adore Rickman's and Morrissey's Brandon, as well as Firth's and Macfayden's Darcy. It also has the very amusing consequence of Michael and Toby having a Rochester-off in my head. Pilot is very confused. Mia Wasikowska is said to be replacing Ellen Page in the lead, and she was amazing on In Treatment so if this whole thing pans out, I shall be a very happy fangirl indeed.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:34 pm

http://flixchatter.wordpress.com/2009/11/22/jane-eyre-casting-fassbender-as-rochester/

BBC Jane Eyre? Janeey10

Oh, this is fabulous news! I’ve been keeping an eye on this project for some time now. In my previous post about Brontë’s sisters’ literary adaptation, when Ellen Page was reportedly still attached, they were still searching for the actor to play Rochester. Then miss Page left, but The Playlist reported that a rising auteur Cary Fukunaga — who won Sundance’s directing nod for his immigration-themed film Sin Nombre — is interested to direct. Well, now it looks like this project is back on the table and I must say I’m really pleased with the casting — this almost (though not entirely) makes up for my disappointment in the Wuthering Heights‘ Heathcliff casting of Gossip Girl’s Ed Westwick, ugh!

According to Variety, Michael Fassbender, one of my picks for Top Ten Notable Foreign Actors, is in talks to play Rochester. He’d be joining Mia Wasikowska, who beat out several actresses to star in Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland and had a small role in last year’s war drama Defiance. Interestingly enough, the 20-year-old Aussie actress was one of Variety’s Annual Top Ten Actors to Watch list. I have yet to see her work though, but physically she seems right to play the ‘plain jane’ heroine. I mean she’s pretty but not jaw-dropping-ly stunning.

As for Rochester, I had my own picks a couple of months ago, pondering who would fit this criteria:

If we’re to be loyal to Brontë’s book, he’d shouldn’t be someone classically good looking. But that shouldn’t be a barrier either, as personifying Rochester ought to go beyond the physical form. Byronic is essentially possessing a forlorn, temperamental, melancholic characteristic with a great disdain and regret over his dark past.

Alas, Fassbender wasn’t on my list, but I imagine he’s got the acting chops and range to pull off this role, even if he’s just a tad too young — not to mention handsome to boot — at 32 (Rochester is supposed to be about 20 years older than the 18-year-old Jane). His star is definitely on the rise, and for good reason. The German/Irish actor garnered rave reviews in Hunger, Fish Tank and Inglorious Basterds, and was recently cast in A Single Shot, a thriller with Forest Whitaker, William H. Macy and Thomas Haden Church.

The project is slated for release in 2011. Can’t wait to see how the stack up against a plethora of other adaptations of this classic story. What say you, folks? If you’re a Brontë fan, are you happy with the casting?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilar Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:03 pm

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the best news EVER!!! Michael as Mister Rochester??? Be still my heart!!

I adored the version with Ciaran Hinds (he was great), but THIS ONE WILL SURPASS ALL THE OTHERS! Whoooooot! This is a great consolation prize for me, since I was shattered he dropped Heathcliff.
Pilar
Pilar
Azazeal's Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:10 pm

I'm glad you found your way over here, Pil.

Yes, definitely happy if this really gets going. Here's hoping and keeping my fingers cross.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:26 am

http://www.fbeats.com/article.php?article_id=1275

Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender Set For Jane Eyre?
Published on 11/24/2009, 11:30 AM
Tags: Mia Wasikowska

Could Alice in Wonderland’s Mia Wasikowska be taking on another literary figure? According to Variety, the Aussie actress is tipped to star alongside Irish actor Michael Fassbender in a new adaptation ofJane Eyre . Charlotte Bronte’s 19th century tale has been remade countless times. So why not one more? Attached to the project is Sin Nombre helmer Cary Fukunga. There hasn’t been a big screen version since the mid 1990s when French minx Charlotte Gainsbourg starred alongside William Hurt. There is always an audience for this kind of material, and reinterpretations are nothing new in filmmaking. What will they be bringingto the table is anybody’s guess.

Michael Fassbender has been building an excellent body of work and was last seen as a British spy in Inglourious Basterds. It would take some serious effort to portray one of literature’s greatest bastards in Mr. Rochester, but Fassbender is a fast rising star, especially after his powerful and heart wrenching turn in Hunger.

Is Wasikowska set to be the next Australian megastar? Only time will tell. Can she deliver the goods in playing one of the literature’s greatest heroines? Fellow Aussie actress Abbie Cornish mesmerised in Bright Star this year, perhaps she would be better suitedto the task.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilar Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:12 am

I hope there's plenty of sex. Long, drawn out scenes with close ups of his "O' face.

Oh wait...we're talking the 1840's here.....with layers and layers of clothing.

I hope there's plenty of sex....with long drawn out.....
Pilar
Pilar
Azazeal's Angel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next